Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship (19668 Views)

Navy Admiral Daniel Ikoli Is Dead. He Was Found Dead In His Lagos Home / Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? / Faseun Brought Peace Between Ijaw , Yoruba, Says Egbesu Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ikechu1278: 7:08pm On Dec 19, 2015
DiademSh07:

Quote where this was stated!
You are such a creepy little fellow though!
Let me repeat, Zik never attained any election through electoral vote! He was a cheater and a greedy loser like his kins!

As the leader of the NCNC, Azikiwe was to be the first premier of Western Nigeria following the elections of 1951, with Obafemi Awolowo, a Yoruba, the leader of the AG, as the leader of the opposition in the House of Assembly. It should be recalled, with profound sadness, that prominent Yoruba traditional leaders and political elites exerted pressure on a number of Yorubas elected on the NCNC platform to "cross carpet" in the House and join the AG, in order to deny Azikiwe the premiership in favour of Awolowo. The concept of "carpet crossing" was thus introduced into Nigerian political discourse. Azikiwe had assumed the leadership of the NCNC following the death of Herbert Macaulay, a Yoruba. There would have been no basis for "carpet crossing" if Macaulay, and not Azikiwe, were elected premier of the West on the NCNC platform in 1951.

The keyword there is ELECTED. Pick up a dictionary and start reading. It looks like there are several statements you don't know the meaning of. Such a shame!!!!!! Tufiakwa!!

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ikechu1278: 7:13pm On Dec 19, 2015
DiademSh07:

LOL!
See Logic! What am I even saying? Come and see idiocy at its peak!
According to your stup!d logic, Yoruba also got a Mini state out of the Western state seeing that the Western region was also disintegrated into states!
Need I remind you that NCNC wasn't solely Ibo party between! Are you this stup!d or you are just acting to be one?

Are Yoruba minorities? We talking about MINORITIES in regards to Majority. My God, it's not even a hard logic to grasp and this mofo is having a hard time grasping it? Tufiakwa

See this ediot reminding me of something I taught him. Chineke, I've seen it all. Dumb@ss, last I checked, you were the one screaming each time NCNC was mentioned about East this, East that, Igbo this, Igbo that until I provided you a book page and showed you some Midwest was part of NCNC as well as informing you it was a southern party till yoloba used their tribalism to destroy that unity. Stop reminding me of something I had to teach your kpomo kpomo head self.

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by gigabyte13: 7:15pm On Dec 19, 2015
The Nigerian jews will not like this your "act of apostle" story ooooo.

5 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ikechu1278: 7:16pm On Dec 19, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

My friend throw in the towel already. You have been beaten blue black and red and taken to the cleaners, quit clutching at straws man.

grin grin grin
Leave him, I'm actually enjoying it. So stop trying to mess up my entertainment. Wetin I do you?
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by DiademSh07: 7:22pm On Dec 19, 2015
ikechu1278:

The keyword there is ELECTED. Pick up a dictionary and start reading. It looks like there are several strangeness you don't know the meaning of. Such a shame!!!!!! Tufiakwa!!
Get this straight! He was Elected on the platform of NCNC, I.e, he was the candidate for NCNC, which was the main party until house of assembly voted AG over NCNC!
Yeah, if Macaulay was to be the leader of NCNC, there wouldn't have be any opposition but the reality is he was not and the house of assembly voted for AG!
Any problem?

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ikechu1278: 7:33pm On Dec 19, 2015
DiademSh07:

Get this straight! He was Elected on the platform of NCNC, I.e, he was the candidate for NCNC, which was the main party until house of assembly voted AG over NCNC!
Yeah, if Macaulay was to be the leader of NCNC, there wouldn't have be any opposition but the reality is he was not and the house of assembly voted for AG!
Any problem?

First I'm glad you finally FINALLY accepted zik won time election.
Secondly, I'm glad you FINALLY agreed that your people brought in the tribalism found in Nigeria politics we see today.
So no, there's no problem. That's exactly wtf I've been saying for hours now

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by DiademSh07: 7:53pm On Dec 19, 2015
ikechu1278:

First I'm glad you finally FINALLY accepted zik won time election.
Secondly, I'm glad you FINALLY agreed that your people brought in the tribalism found in Nigeria politics we see today.
So no, there's no problem. That's exactly wtf I've been saying for hours now
How did this crazy Zik of yours win the Election? LOL!
You keep forgetting that the states house of assembly gets to decide the vote! Or are you this dumb?
The said Election was no different from how the senate president gets elected!
The reality is that NCNC and its affiliated group were the majority in the house which made Zik think he had chance of winning not until majority voted Awolowo led AG groups at the end of the election while your two timing scheming little man, Zik cried betrayal! Can't believe I have to break this down to you like a teacher does to nursery kids!
Very dumb man! You're just as dumb as that eediot, Zik!
God knows what he was seeking in the West!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by DiademSh07: 8:14pm On Dec 19, 2015
ikechu1278:

Are Yoruba minorities? We talking about MINORITIES in regards to Majority. My God, it's not even a hard logic to grasp and this mofo is having a hard time grasping it? Tufiakwa

See this ediot reminding me of something I taught him. Chineke, I've seen it all. Dumb@ss, last I checked, you were the one screaming each time NCNC was mentioned about East this, East that, Igbo this, Igbo that until I provided you a book page and showed you some Midwest was part of NCNC as well as informing you it was a southern party till yoloba used their tribalism to destroy that unity. Stop reminding me of something I had to teach your kpomo kpomo head self.
So, you mean the creation of the Midwest through a referendum carried out in the West under a civilian rule is equivalent to the disintegration of region that ensued during/after the Civil war under a military rule? LOL!
Never seen someone so dumb! Heck, there was nothing like middle belt region!
the middle belt was a proposed region but it never materialised unlike the Midwest!
Let me also state that NCNC became eastern party, ibo party precisely the moment Zik started to govern the affairs of the Eastern region! Even NCP broke away and became independent on its own, so were other parties! The more reason why igho alluded in his article that NCNC was the eastern party while NPC was for the North et al!

4 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by CeterisXVII: 11:23pm On Dec 19, 2015
igwe123:

we all know wikipedia is not a credible source. i used the coup as an example of how to cite a source that can be deemed unbiased. I used Ademoyega instead of Madiebo to show how to prove that ur source is not likely to be biased. plz do same for the Ore event. I still belive that Isama Alabi is not delta igbo, no igbo name, plus a confirmed yoruba name, my early claim that he is from kwara is likely to be true, i have not heard of any delta igbo dat fought on the federal side. Note, the Ogbuefi moniker is mine but was banned for no reason

Alabi Isama has given several interviews in the press about his role in the civil war. And he has also talked about his parentage. His mother was from Kwara, but his father was Delta Igbo. Isama was his father's name. Again, like I told you earlier, you need to do your research.

A former Principal General Staff Officer (PGSO) of the Nigerian Army and Chief of Staff of 3 Marine Commando Division (3MCDO) during the 1967-70 Nigeria-Biafra war, Brigadier-General Godwin Alabi-Isama, is a reporter’s delight anytime. He canvasses his views with passion and emotion, not minding whose ox is gored...

A Delta Igbo by paternal lineage, but a Yoruba-cum northerner via maternal links, Alabi-Isama said God has destined Nigeria to be one country and those trying to dismember the nation labour in vain. He prayed that Nigerians should not witness another war because people are now very vicious. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/war-hero-on-biafra-years-no-peace-in-nigerias-53yrs-of-hausa-igbo-rulership-gen-alabi-isiama/

As for the coup, I am not interested in it, and your reasons for continually bringing it up are rather flimsy. If you still want to digress by talking about the coup, then open another thread for it. I would rather stick to the topic at hand. sad

Sources have been cited to show that a battle was fought at Ore. Instead of accepting the truth, you keep trying to discredit the sources because the whole point being made does not fit into your preconceived notions. Am sorry, I can't help you if you refuse to free your mind, and acquire knowledge in this regard. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by CeterisXVII: 11:29pm On Dec 19, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
Lmao...you must a joker using wikipedia as ya source which any Tom, Dick and Harry can freely edit, chai!

Nah, you and your friend Ogbuefi are actually the jokers. Before Wikipedia was even cited, four other sources had been provided in a previous post, but your friend refused to see them. Instead, he kept asking for a neutral source. Were the sources cited biased in their submissions? If he feels they were biased, he needs to show evidence of it. He has been unable to do so. Instead he keeps asking for another source. I mean how ridiculous is that?

And I have noticed that when your cronies cite Wikipedia to support their assertions, you accept it as fact. But when others do so, it becomes a joke, because in your view, "others can freely edit it." Continue... the whole world is watching.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by aljharem(m): 8:02am On Dec 20, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

That's what I don't know. What exactly is their problem? The other time, Wike decided to honor Gowon on behalf of rivers people for his contribution to Rivers state, these same people that had no bond with Rivers state went about lamenting. Now, this thread that is about Ijaw-Yoruba is again causing them to lament.

They always want the SS to hate the Yorubas and North and some came hard on me when I said neither Yoruba nor north is our problem. Do they want us to be at war with Awo when we have no reason to? Again, what is their problem?

you truly understand them

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ola6: 11:38am On Dec 20, 2015
Igbos are truly pained! Eiya cry
tongue tongue cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

See yourself, are you an Efik, ibibio or annang man? You feel threatened because I seek to bring to the fore the benevolence of Yoruba sons towards the Ijaws and other ethnic south south minority groups. Your fear made you cook up the 'igbophobia thrash and other nonsense.

By the way, Ijaws are primarily concerned with RESOURCE CONTROL like other ethnic groups in the SS. We are NOT calling for secession yet. In fact, we are primarily concerned with furthering to achieve our noble demands. I don't know why you are acting insecure.

Any relationship with yorubas or other groups is for our own interest. GEJ our brother lost election but we all saw how close Dickson/Sylva contest was... In other words, we have moved on to the next chapter...

Grow up!
And yet you allowed igbophobic comments without redirection on the main course of your thread, from the start.
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 20, 2015
aljharem:
Igbos na wa o

igbos are full of hate

And you are full of love.. Angel Gabriel grin
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 20, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
I have a message for the ijaws making spiteful comments about Igbos that we are watching. Pray Nigeria does not break after we finish drinking our oyel.

I laugh at you fools saying Igboland is landlocked, we don't really care about oyel, what we need is a straight line to the sea and my news to the Ijaws is that should Nigeria break tomorrow when oyel & gas finishes, we will break through the ravaged ijaw lands to the sea, it will be by force.

Any attempt by the ogogoro drinkers would result in their being referred to in past tense.

People we say there used to be some people called ijaws here, so it will be taught in schools.

When the oyel & gas is no longer there the north would not waste hundreds of thousands of her youths fighting Igbos, they would be more concerned about how to develope their lands for agriculture. The Yorubas will never waste their young men fighting Igbos because of some kainkain drinking ijaw bats from the ravaged creeks.

That time the ijaws will understand that the world was there when "Rwanda" was going on. We will not eliminate them but use them as slaves.

Tonyebarcanista would be sent to the farms to harvest cassava for Igbos.

Nuff said.

Guy, you are very stupid. you well so
If not for one thing, I would have love to flog your nyansh for such an idiotic comments. angry

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by zimoni(f): 6:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
This thread is crazy mehn.
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by spanishkid(m): 8:21pm On Dec 21, 2015
DiademSh07:

LOL!
Ibo and lies, eh!
When did such thing happen?
Did you mean the kind of 'busting' you gave @sweetlemon whom you kept claiming was busted against all sanity!
You are so pathetic, it aint funny anymore!
please help ask that fool when I was ever busted for being yoruba? Igbos are the most foolish people on earth. Anyone who doesn't support their ideas is a yoruba man. I've never met a tribe as foolish as that tribe called igbo.

4 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by laudate: 10:41pm On Jan 04, 2016
spanishkid:
please help ask that fool when I was ever busted for being yoruba? Igbos are the most foolish people on earth. Anyone who doesn't support their ideas is a yoruba man. I've never met a tribe as foolish as that tribe called igbo.

I disagree. angry It is not all Igbo that are foolish. It is just a minority of them that keep arguing blindly on this thread, by trying to twist logic on its head and substitute propaganda as fact. They seem to think all those reading their comments are dumb, or have not done their research on the events that took place between 1960-1970. They have also forgotten that we all have relatives who were eye-witnesses to the series of events that took place during that era - people with facts, figures and documents that can actually detail what transpired on the Nigerian political scene.

Most of those arguing blindly here about Awo's so-called 'sins,' and the creation of the old Mid-West were not even born during that era, and are too myopic to accept that each participant during that period had valid but different perspectives of every event. They feel their own perspective is the only one that is valid, despite evidence to the contrary. sad

Thank God for newspaper articles that documented what transpired way back then. Only God knows what version of the truth, these people would have forced down our throats. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ValarDoharis: 11:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
A double minded man is unstable in his ways.....Barcanista...about a yr ago....you were among d dis buharists.....9months ago...u were among the GEJ till 2019.......and now you're going back to sai buhari but don't know how! You are a double minded man!
TonyeBarcanista:

This is pure BADERASH sir!

OBJ brought GEJ, Ijaw nation and the South-South to national stage when the odds were against GEJ. They fell out so it was natural for Obj to jump ship. Beside, GEJ reneged on an agreement so it is a different issue.

On Ikoli, you probably just heard of him but Sir, Awo supported him TWICE not once. Awo didn't support him because he(Awo) wanted the position, he did out of pure love,loyalty and conviction. You can keep your own theory away. This is a very serious matter.

Beside, he died, he wasn't killed... Abi na Awo be him God to preserve him life? Bros abeg shift. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by DiademSh07: 2:25pm On Feb 10, 2016
ikechu1278:

OMG you are so stup1d. It is extremely SAD. First of all, ypu never countered igho statement, all you did was cry like a biatch with ZERO logical counter to his statement. Second and foremost, prior to NCNC became a SE led group, NCNC was a southern political party. That's what azikiwe was doing at the west. He won an election over awolowo, emphasis on the word WON (aka ELECTION). Your tribalistic people hated the fact he democratically WON the election in West and thus suggested all yoloba members to cross over to AG this to push Azikiwe election out and give it to awolowo. That's where Nigeria tribalism in politics BEGAN. What i just wrote is from Igho (a mid westerner).. the link is several pages back

First of all there was NO ministry created by Awolowo that clamored for Mid west creation. The mid west groups that clamored for mid west creation were MSM, BDPP, Otu-Edo, etc all of which were formed by Mid WESTERNER, excluding one that was formed by a minority Easterner aka biriye
Secondly, there was no ministry awolowo suggested for mid west. The only ministry awolowo agreed to pertaining to mid west was one suggested by enhauoro. And the only only reason awolowo accepted that suggestion was due to the fact enhauoro suggestion was made to suppress the call for mid west creation. He is agreement to the suggestion had absolutely NOTHING to do with the benefit of mid west hence the reason when he went all over the media speaking of his support, majority of mid westerners were suspicious of his claim.

The Bleep?
Akintola was more supportive of mid west creation than Awolowo, the snake. Wtf is your dumb@ss smoking?

Again first of all, I neither opted any of what you said I did. I highlifted because it stated and quote awolowo did not support---no matter the circumstances----despite the fact he urged belewa to create Midwest in 1962.

While I'm at it, awolowo was the leader of western region in 1962. 1962 was when akintola was expelled. 1963 is when akintola became the leader of western region. I keep saying it you are brain dead.
You keep screaming "I'll only read omoigui history" but by this post, it's obvious you don't even read his post. Sad thing, this part of the history is even your own history, therefore you should have know this sh1t more than me. Tufiakwa!!!

Anyway, educating you on your history:

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/ethnichistories/egharevbalectures/Fifth-Omoigui.htm
This was your reply! You even shamelessly backed it up with the article below with the highlighted word 'Akintola was reinstated in 1963!
This was my reply to you then!
DiademSh07:

Do you know the meaning of the word 'reinstate', which brings me back to when your foolish self failed to interpret the word 'Akin'! You are such a dumbo!
Akintola first became the premier in the year 1960, which was the time Awolowo told Balewa to create the midwest before 1962!
You can see why no one takes you serious! Haba, you don't know what 'reinstate' means! LOL!
That being said, no one elected Zik in the West! As a matter of fact, Zik has never attained any post with such thing like electoral votes!
I guess what you mean is that he ascended as the leader of NCNC group after Herbart Macauly, the Yoruba leader of the said group died! Zik was to contest with the said group (NCNC) whose opposition is the AG group with Awolowo! Hence, who would blame the West for choosing, her man, Awolowo over a. self entitled greedy eediot who's running for the leader of the Western region while his people in the eastern region allowed no such in their midst!
By the way, you are such a clown! A real one!
Another confirmation that ibo and lies are synonymous!
Yeye!
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by laudate: 8:48pm On Jan 08, 2017
gigabyte13:
The Nigerian jews will not like this your "act of apostle" story ooooo.

How on earth did I miss this topic??! shocked How??! shocked Better gist don waka pass, o!! cheesy
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by oyatz(m): 7:51am On Apr 16, 2017
Stop twisting history to suit your thought.
1) Awolowo was the leader of opposition at the Federal level from 1959- 1962 while Akintola replaced him as PREMIER of Western Region from 1959-1962 when the political crisis in the West reached its peak leading to the declaration of state of emergency.
3) Different people contributed to the creation of the Midwestern region at different times but most importantly THE LAW required the approval of the WESTERN REGIONAL HOUSE of assembly with support of at least 2 other regional assemblies and approval of the Federal Parliament.
4) The political parties and politicians you mentioned rightly agitated for the creation of the Midwestern region, however agitation is not necessarily the law.
The agitatators on their own are like pressure groups, they can't decree the creation of the region, only the authority can do that and the primal authority in this case was the Western regional government through their regional assembly (dominated by the Yorubas). It was the regional that can conduct referendum for the area that want to break away but the result must have the support of at least 2 other regional assemblies.
You are free to hate Awolowo, Akintola and the Yoruba people kwhom you derisively referred to as Yoloba) if that will make you feel better but stop distorting history.

ikechu1278:

OMG you are so stup1d. It is extremely SAD. First of all, ypu never countered igho statement, all you did was cry like a biatch with ZERO logical counter to his statement. Second and foremost, prior to NCNC became a SE led group, NCNC was a southern political party. That's what azikiwe was doing at the west. He won an election over awolowo, emphasis on the word WON (aka ELECTION). Your tribalistic people hated the fact he democratically WON the election in West and thus suggested all yoloba members to cross over to AG this to push Azikiwe election out and give it to awolowo. That's where Nigeria tribalism in politics BEGAN. What i just wrote is from Igho (a mid westerner).. the link is several pages back

First of all there was NO ministry created by Awolowo that clamored for Mid west creation. The mid west groups that clamored for mid west creation were MSM, BDPP, Otu-Edo, etc all of which were formed by Mid WESTERNER, excluding one that was formed by a minority Easterner aka biriye
Secondly, there was no ministry awolowo suggested for mid west. The only ministry awolowo agreed to pertaining to mid west was one suggested by enhauoro. And the only only reason awolowo accepted that suggestion was due to the fact enhauoro suggestion was made to suppress the call for mid west creation. He is agreement to the suggestion had absolutely NOTHING to do with the benefit of mid west hence the reason when he went all over the media speaking of his support, majority of mid westerners were suspicious of his claim.

The Bleep?
Akintola was more supportive of mid west creation than Awolowo, the snake. Wtf is your dumb@ss smoking?

Again first of all, I neither opted any of what you said I did. I highlifted because it stated and quote awolowo did not support---no matter the circumstances----despite the fact he urged belewa to create Midwest in 1962.

While I'm at it, awolowo was the leader of western region in 1962. 1962 was when akintola was expelled. 1963 is when akintola became the leader of western region. I keep saying it you are brain dead.
You keep screaming "I'll only read omoigui history" but by this post, it's obvious you don't even read his post. Sad thing, this part of the history is even your own history, therefore you should have know this sh1t more than me. Tufiakwa!!!

Anyway, educating you on your history:

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/ethnichistories/egharevbalectures/Fifth-Omoigui.htm

Anyway, back to what I was saying, it was documented, it was under Awolowo watch [in 1962] that AG boycotted a mid western conference that was meant to fix the politics and ethnic differences in western region.

Yet again butterish the point that awolowo never supported the creation of mid west.

Oh BTW: UFC was formed by the first commissioner aka Dalton Asemota.

Again, I ask again, what in that brain dead head of yours do you think you countered? Every single sh1t you spewed out of your @ss here, I've provided several books, links, etc that opposed it till the point you stated ranting about "invalid source" and "invalid post".

I'll repeat my earlier statement.... Get a brain transplant. You are too old to be this dumb

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by obaino860: 8:29am On Apr 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

Maybe some misguided and ignorant politicians, I don't think any Ijaw or southern minority can fault Awo. Apart from his role in Ikoli's political fortune, Awo also created Ministry of Midwest just to pacify the midwersterners(now Edo and Delta) when they agitated for a region of their own because he doesn't want Western region to split. In fact, the Southern minorities in present day Rivers/Bayelsa/Cross-River and Akwa Ibom states at that time were agitating for Rivers and Calabar region, the Eastern Region not only opposed it but didn't give us any special ministry to at least pacify us. The North never did likewise to the agitating middlebelt.

Was it not Awolowo that advised Gowon to give us Rivers and Cross river states(now Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa ibom) after years of agitation?

I just hate the site of you.....you are a disgusting tribalist in a white garment cloth.....
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by dumodust(m): 10:31am On Apr 16, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

I'll rather say there is something unique about Awo to support someone for a local election instead of his kinsman. I think the southern minorities are loyal to their benefactors and this has been working for us.

For instance, in Boro's memoir, he wrote lots of pleasant things towards Tafawa Balewa, Yakubu Gowon and the North...

Prof Tekene Tamuno, an Okrikan was appointed VC of University of Ibadan between 1975 and 79. Before then, he was a Head of Department and Dean of Faculty of the school. Imagine a school like UI having an Ijaw VC... In fact, he became 'yorubanised' and even married a Yorubawoman.

Professor David West is another Ijawman that doesn't joke with the yoruba-nation. This show of loyalty is very common with ethnic nationalities in the South.

Personally, I don't joke with ANY of my benefactors.
You have been blind to one fact in your story.... zik was also supporting someone who wasnt his kinsman... it is common in clubs which NYM qualifies as, it was not a government election but a movt
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by oyatz(m): 3:46am On Apr 17, 2017
Please read the write-up again, this time slowly.
1) The MYM election was like a primary election to select their candidate who was to represent the party in a local government( Lagos legislative council) bye-election .
The vacancy was occasioned by the resignation of Dr Kofi Abayomi as a member of the Lagos legislative council in order to further his education in the UK.
2) At that time, any group of people who could muster public support could sponsor a candidate for an election. Indeed, many town unions like Otu Edo and Igbira peoples Union contested elections into regional and federal parliaments.
Edo tax payers association also sponsored candidates in the Western regional elections.
3) The write up wasn't an Awo vs Zik comparison.
May God continue to bless the souls of these political icons. They played politics in the ways they understood, obviously made mistakes like all mortals but left enduring legacies

dumodust:

You have been blind to one fact in your story.... zik was also supporting someone who wasnt his kinsman... it is common in clubs which NYM qualifies as, it was not a government election but a movt
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by CeterisXVII: 1:59pm On Jul 22, 2017
spanishkid:
I just could not stop laughing when I read this! Oh my goodness, this is just too much!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by MetaPhysical: 2:42pm On Jul 22, 2017
The defeat of Nnamdi Azikiwe-backed Akinsanya led to both men quitting the NYM

Azikiwe was not a good politician.

The affairs in Lagos has always been dramatized in political awareness and jostling. This dates back centuries, it continues to be the same scenario even today.

In the period between 1930s and 60s there were new political awakenings, the dramatization of which involved a new class of educated locals. Amalgamation of Nigeria in 1906 and 1914 brought new dimension to the society of Lagos, particularly in late 1920s and early 30s. The educated class were fighting British biases and discrimination in wages and titles. A white clerical officer earned more than a black clerical officer with same academic qualification and tenure. To fight these imbalances the blacks formed into unions which then expanded to become political parties to represent their interests in the legislative councils and oppose white rule. Yorubas, Itsekiris, Ijaws, Binis, Igbos, Efiks, Anangs, Idomas, Nupes, Hausas, Kanuris, living in Lagos formed into different ethnic groups and were represented at the council by one or other party. Azikiwe was the representative of Igbo voice. This is how he got in politics.

His interpretation of politics was to be on top, and if he could not he will attempt to ruin the cause as he seeks a departure. There is a part of this story you left out, which is, after that defeat of Akinsanya, his candidate, Zik took the outcome as his own personal defeat and henceforth regarded Ikoli and Awo as his enemy. This was the genesis of his struggle to ruin Awo politically. Uptil 1979 he had not given up on that struggle. Ikoli would have suffered the same fate if he had lived beyond 1960 and was a citizen under the Presidency of Azikiwe.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 22, 2017
This philandering Python is up to something. A chameleon who nothing good can ever come out from.

Yorubas as now praising him because the article is seemingly saying good of them. But when the die os cast, una eyes go clear.
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Justiceleague1: 4:10pm On Jul 22, 2017
CeterisXVII:

I just could not stop laughing when I read this! Oh my goodness, this is just too much!

ogogoro. grin

be careful o,gutter dey ur front grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bala Mohammed Suspends Ahmed Suleiman, Emir Of Misau Over Crisis / Ondo 2020: PDP Seeks Mimiko’s Support, Lures Him With VP Slot / Tinubu Backs APC Ex-chairman Akande’s Criticism Of Party Leadership

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.