Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship (19667 Views)

Navy Admiral Daniel Ikoli Is Dead. He Was Found Dead In His Lagos Home / Hausa/yoruba Political Relationship In The Past. What Does It Imply With This?? / Faseun Brought Peace Between Ijaw , Yoruba, Says Egbesu Chief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:41pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ugomba:
GEJ was appointed as VP aspirant in 2007 by PDP because Igbos were promised the PDP mandate in 2015 after yaradua, so choosing an Ijaw man ahead of Odili as Yaradua VP was for equality and fairness which the Igbo PDP chieftains agreed.
I know that very well.
There is nothing like VP aspirant. GEJ was running for the position of Bayelsa state Governor when Obasanjo decided that the SS should run with Yar'adua. He went to GEJ ahead of fellow SSner Odili.

And the agreement in PDP was to field SOUTHERN candidate in 2015(not just SE) after the north completed the two terms(2007 and 2011). Same Obasanjo made sure GEJ was favored to fly the ticket in 2011 against agreement made in 2007.

4 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by StuntingBlack(m): 8:43pm On Dec 17, 2015
EternalTruths:

Go back to secondary school and study the history of southern Cameroon

Are 'Southern Cameroun' and 'Cameroun' the same?

6 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by misterawo: 8:48pm On Dec 17, 2015
StuntingBlack:

You must be a naturally endowed fool boy. Why not admit your mistake rather than insult. Even a 5 year will be dissapointed seeing a grown-up like you spew such balderdash. Tell us in history when Cameroun and Nigeria had ever been together or mute up ur rusting mouth. Its that simple gizzo.!!

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by EternalTruths: 8:48pm On Dec 17, 2015
StuntingBlack:

Are 'Southern Cameroun' and 'Cameroun' the same?

Common sense should have told you that he meant Southern Cameroon but unfortunately, common sense is not common angry

3 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Ugomba(m): 8:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

There is nothing like VP aspirant. GEJ was running for the position of Bayelsa state Governor when Obasanjo decided that the SS should run with Yar'adua. He went to GEJ ahead of fellow SSner Odili.

And the agreement in PDP was to field SOUTHERN candidate in 2015(not just SE) after the north completed the two terms(2007 and 2011). Same Obasanjo made sure GEJ was favored to fly the ticket in 2011 against agreement made in 2007.
your analysis is flawed.
The agreement was that After Yaradua, an Igbo man will take over with PDP mandate.
So Ijaw man as Yaradua VP was a sign of promoting equality in PDP which Igbo key PDP men agreed upon.
Don't rewrite a Fact in a bid to establish ur Igbo hatred agenda.

We are NOT in 1967-1970.
It wil not sell again here in SS, not even Ikwerres wil buy it.

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:52pm On Dec 17, 2015
EternalTruths:

Thank you

To buttress your point further

ODI is an Ijaw town destroyed by OBJ

Tonyebarcanista should tell us which ethnic group do OBJ belong to and if an Igbo president will ever do such
I don't knw what Igbo has to do with Ijaw-Yoruba relationship. Why are you bringing igbo into a subject that does not concern the tribe? As in why not fulani?

Odi is ijawland and I don't see how it affect the Igbo tribe that you keep mentioning.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:01pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ugomba:
your analysis is flawed.
The agreement was that After Yaradua, an Igbo man will take over with PDP mandate.
So Ijaw man as Yaradua VP was a sign of promoting equality in PDP which Igbo key PDP men agreed upon.
Don't rewrite a Fact in a bid to establish ur Igbo hatred agenda.

We are NOT in 1967-1970.
It wil not sell again here in SS, not even Ikwerres wil buy it.
You see my friend, you are talking nonsense. The PDP agreement of 2002 was North-South rotation. In fact, 2019 has been zoned to NORTH without being specific on the zone. NO Igboman or anyone else 'agreed' for SS to be Yar'adua VP. It was all OBJ and Clark's idea. This is a fact! Pray tell, who was the Igboman that entered such agreement?

Also the race for 2015 was for the South not SE. It was very clear. Or you think GEJ, Imoke, Akpabio or Amaechi wouldn't have sought for party ticket in 2015 if Yar'adua had completed his two tenures? Na wa o...

This is a recent history!

8 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2015
angry
coolscott:

published
Where you publish am?
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Ugomba(m): 9:30pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

You see my friend, you are talking nonsense. The PDP agreement of 2002 was North-South rotation. In fact, 2019 has been zoned to NORTH without being specific on the zone. NO Igboman or anyone else 'agreed' for SS to be Yar'adua VP. It was all OBJ and Clark's idea. This is a fact! Pray tell, who was the Igboman that entered such agreement?

Also the race for 2015 was for the South not SE. It was very clear. Or you think GEJ, Imoke, Akpabio or Amaechi wouldn't have sought for party ticket in 2015 if Yar'adua had completed his two tenures? Na wa o...

This is a recent history!
One does not have to be a psychologist to detect that you have a deep rooted Igbophobic agenda which u want to use the power of social media to spread.
Maybe its the kind of brainwashing that was given to u while growing up as an ijaw guy.
- You hid under the Nnamdi Kanu brouhaha which even we Anioma do not support to spread ur agenda in a bid to use it as a catalyst to create a SE vs SS enemity when many Igbo leaders were not in support of Nnamdi Kanu.
- whats ur latest trickish tactics, Creating an Ijaw, Yoruba, Awolowo and Gowon political bromance thread with a Concealed aim to spite the Igbos, the same people who were threatened and insulted for voting for an Ijaw man..

- You fool no one here.
You know exactly how these thread will degenerate into tribal bashing.
- These your Agenda Can't sell again,not even here in Delta. Or even in Akwa Ibom/ Calabar.
Because People are weary about Ijaws too, if you doubt it, let the Ijaws champion the Niger Delta Republic agitation and watch how we Aniomas, even the Efik, Ibibios, Urhobos, Annang etc will kick against it because An Ijaw Man Have His Own Sterotypes.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:42pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ugomba:
One do not have to be a psychologist to detect that you have a deep rooted Igbophobic agenda which u want to use the power of social media to spread.
Maybe its the kind of brainwashing that was given to u while growing up as an ijaw guy.
You hid under the Nnamdi Kanu brouhaha which even we Anioma do not support to spread ur agenda in a bid to use it as a catalyst to create a SE vs SS enemity when many Igbo leaders were not in support of Nnamdi Kanu.
- whats ur latest trickish tactics, Creating an Ijaw, Yoruba, Awolowo and Gowon political bromance thread with a Concealed aim to spite the Igbos, the same people who were threatened and insulted for voting for an Ijaw man..

- You fool no one here.
These your Agenda Can't sell again,not even here in Delta. Or even in Akwa Ibom/ Calabar.
Because People are weary about Ijaws too, if you doubt it, let the Ijaws champion the Niger Delta Republic agitation and watch how we Aniomas, even the Efik, Ibibios, Ikwerres, Annang etc will kick against it because An Ijaw Man Have His Own Sterotypes.
See yourself, are you an Efik, ibibio or annang man? You feel threatened because I seek to bring to the fore the benevolence of Yoruba sons towards the Ijaws and other ethnic south south minority groups. Your fear made you cook up the 'igbophobia thrash and other nonsense.

By the way, Ijaws are primarily concerned with RESOURCE CONTROL like other ethnic groups in the SS. We are NOT calling for secession yet. In fact, we are primarily concerned with furthering to achieve our noble demands. I don't know why you are acting insecure.

Any relationship with yorubas or other groups is for our own interest. GEJ our brother lost election but we all saw how close Dickson/Sylva contest was... In other words, we have moved on to the next chapter...

Grow up!

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by hurricaneChris: 9:47pm On Dec 17, 2015
This bromance won't last.
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by T8ksy(m): 9:48pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Tribalism ke? Was Ikoli a yorubaman?

You should direct your asinine question to Zik (in his grave) and his mischievous folks.

At that time a crisis within the movement was precipitated by the resignation of Dr. K.A Abayomi from the Legislative Council. Ernest Ikoli, then president of the NYM sought the party’s nomination for the vacancy. He was opposed by Samuel Akinsanya, then Vice President of the N.Y.M. The selection of Ikoli led to allegations of tribal discrimination: Azikwe and Akinsanya charged that the latter had been rejected only because the dominant group of Lagos yorubas would not countenance the nomination of an Ijebu yoruba.
Certainly there had been a tendency on the part of the Lagos elite to look down on their brethren from the provinces, a kind of snobbishness that elicited resentment. But Ikoli was an Ijaw not a Lagos- yoruba, and his candidature was supported by another prominent Ijebu-yoruba (like Akinsanya), Obafemi Awolowo then secretary of the Ibadan branch of the N.Y.M and Assistant Secretary to Akinsanya of the Motor Transport Union.

Adamantly, Azikwe and Akinsanya insisted that anti-Ijebu prejudice was the underlying motive at play and they resigned from the Youth Movement. Akinsanya stood as an independent candidate against Ikoli with Azikwe’s support but he was defeated.

Reference==========> Nigerian Political Parties: Power in an Emergent African Nation By Richard L. Sklar

StuntingBlack:

When in history has Cameroon ever been together with Nigeria?.. Oh boy, is this Aba-made history or what?
You these things will never stop these hilarious acts of stupidity of yours.!!

NCNC was formed in 1944 as National Council of Nigeria and the Camerouns.

3 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Ugomba(m): 9:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

See yourself, are you an Efik, ibibio or annang man? You feel threatened because I seek to bring to the fore the benevolence of Yoruba sons towards the Ijaws and other ethnic south south minority groups. Your fear made you cook up the 'igbophobia thrash and other nonsense.

By the way, Ijaws are primarily concerned with RESOURCE CONTROL like other ethnic groups in the SS. We are NOT calling for secession yet. In fact, we are primarily concerned with furthering to achieve our noble demands. I don't know why you are acting insecure.

Any relationship with yorubas or other groups is for our own interest. GEJ our brother lost election but we all saw how close Dickson/Sylva contest was... In other words, we have moved on to the next chapter...

Grow up!
The Truth Hurts.
My Straight Point Is That your hidden agenda is Dead On Arrival on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:57pm On Dec 17, 2015
T8ksy:

You should direct your asinine question to Zik (in his grave) and his mischievous folks.
Azikiwa wasn't smart at all. Which one is Lagos-yoruba and anti-Ijebu sentiment? Was Ikoli Yoruba at all? I don't even understand their argument. Wasn't Akinsanya a legitimate yorubaman? How can he and Zik accuse Awo of tribalism when Awo was a Yorubaman like him? This is like accusing me of being tribalistic for supporting Wike(Ikwerre) instead of Dakuku(Ijaw). Or accuse Sylva of tribalism for supporting Buhari(fulani) instead of GEJ(Ijaw). Na wa o! That doesn't show any sign of sportsmanship.

9 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by LadyExcellency: 10:14pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

@Ijawcitizen, you can lie no be small.

Ever seen this interview and true confessions of Pastor Tunde Bakare by Punchng?

The major excerpts below:

Buhari Had Obsanjo's Endorsement Over Jonathan, If He Had dropped Me for Okonjo-Iweala In 2011 Presidential Election – Tunde Bakare

The day before the final submission of names, former President Olusegun Obasanjo told El-Rufai that he was ready to support Buhari if he could drop me and replace me with Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as his running mate. El-Rufai ran to me, that this was what Obasanjo said.

The three of us were in the same hotel but in different suites. We went straight to Gen. Buhari and I said to him that breakthrough had come. I told him I had not filled the form and that there were five reasons why he must take Okonjo-Iweala. Number one, she is Delta-Igbo, you would have solved the problem of South-East/South-South. Number two, she’s a woman, you have settled the gender issue. Number three, Christian, balanced ticket. Number four, a former minister of finance and former minister of external affairs, experience which I don’t have. Number five, World Bank top executive, international exposure. Even though I have travelled round the world, I have not worked in any organisation, she is a better candidate.

This is the form, I have not filled it. General Buhari looked at me and said did Obasanjo speak to you and I said no that he spoke to El-Rufai and I believe him. And he asked El-Rufai to repeat everything Obasanjo said to him and he did. He said to El-Rufai that well, you have worked with him and I have worked with him too, he would have something up his sleeves which we don’t know. Buhari turned to me and said, Pastor Bakare, I have waited long enough and today is the last day, if you are not going to fill the form, give it to me, I will look for someone until we can get a person like you.

At that point, I became overwhelmed and I signed the form and El-Rufai seconded. That was the process; it was not an overnight thing.

Credits: punchng.com
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by coolscott(m): 10:15pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
angry

Where you publish am?
I will mention on your twitter handle. Will dedicate online promo funds for your write-ups from January.
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:20pm On Dec 17, 2015
coolscott:

I will mention on your twitter handle. Will dedicate online promo funds for your write-ups from January.
Thanks boss... That will be great and helpful!
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:25pm On Dec 17, 2015
Tunde Bakare said... El Rufai SAID...Obasanjo SAID... Lol! That is THEM-SAY THEM SAY... For Christ sake we all know that El rufai is a lying liar. Is he not the same person that published fake figures of GEJ independent celebration? Is he not the same man? For all I care(actually I don't care), nobody in his right mind will work with them-say them-say. Fact is, God through Obj made GEJ VP(2007) and President (2011). This is a fact

And I won't reply you if you keep referring to me as IjawCitizen.

LadyExcellency:

@Ijawcitizen, you can lie no be small.

Ever seen this interview and true confessions of Pastor Tunde Bakare by Punchng?

The major excerpts below:

Buhari Had Obsanjo's Endorsement Over Jonathan, If He Had dropped Me for Okonjo-Iweala In 2011 Presidential Election – Tunde Bakare

The day before the final submission of names, former President Olusegun Obasanjo told El-Rufai that he was ready to support Buhari if he could drop me and replace me with Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as his running mate. El-Rufai ran to me, that this was what Obasanjo said.

The three of us were in the same hotel but in different suites. We went straight to Gen. Buhari and I said to him that breakthrough had come. I told him I had not filled the form and that there were five reasons why he must take Okonjo-Iweala. Number one, she is Delta-Igbo, you would have solved the problem of South-East/South-South. Number two, she’s a woman, you have settled the gender issue. Number three, Christian, balanced ticket. Number four, a former minister of finance and former minister of external affairs, experience which I don’t have. Number five, World Bank top executive, international exposure. Even though I have travelled round the world, I have not worked in any organisation, she is a better candidate.

This is the form, I have not filled it. General Buhari looked at me and said did Obasanjo speak to you and I said no that he spoke to El-Rufai and I believe him. And he asked El-Rufai to repeat everything Obasanjo said to him and he did. He said to El-Rufai that well, you have worked with him and I have worked with him too, he would have something up his sleeves which we don’t know. Buhari turned to me and said, Pastor Bakare, I have waited long enough and today is the last day, if you are not going to fill the form, give it to me, I will look for someone until we can get a person like you.

At that point, I became overwhelmed and I signed the form and El-Rufai seconded. That was the process; it was not an overnight thing.

Credits: punchng.com

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by aljharem(m): 10:29pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista you have done very well. It is funny how Igbos think supporting Jonathan = Ijaw under Igbo ethnicity. I don't understand that mentality.

Thank you once again, I am a huge fan of yours truly. I make sure I read your topic from the beginning to the end because they speak the truth.

I also love the fact you support Biafra based on freedom of association.

Dude you are brilliant !!!!!!! I hope Ekoile and co can learn from you.

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by aljharem(m): 10:31pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Tunde Bakare said... El Rufai SAID...Obasanjo SAID... Lol! That is THEM-SAY THEM SAY... For Christ sake we all know that [size=18pt]El rufai is a lying liar[/size]. Is he not the same person that published fake figures of GEJ independent celebration? Is he not the same man? For all I care(actually I don't care), nobody in his right mind will work with them-say them-say. Fact is, God through Obj made GEJ VP(2007) and President (2011). This is a fact

Good !!!!!
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by LadyExcellency: 10:33pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Tunde Bakare said... El Rufai SAID...Obasanjo SAID... Lol! That is THEM-SAY THEM SAY... For Christ sake we all know that El rufai is a lying liar. Is he not the same person that published fake figures of GEJ independent celebration? Is he not the same man? For all I care(actually I don't care), nobody in his right mind will work with them-say them-say. Fact is, God through Obj made GEJ VP(2007) and President (2011). This is a fact

And I won't reply you if you keep referring to me as IjawCitizen.

This is one on one interview by punch correspondent with Pastor Tunde Bakare hence the excerpts are direct quotes.

Stop twisting the truth to suit your line of thought. Obasanjo reluctantly gave in to GEJ presidency in 2011 because Buhari couldn't meet his conditions and nothing more. It was purely on personal interest hence there is nothing about Ijaw/Yoruba political alliance about it. - QED

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TRUTHTOPOWER: 11:09pm On Dec 17, 2015
misterawo:

COR(Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers) movement is a disjointed group, unable to articulate their demand. Unlike the midwest movement that is disciplined, focused and filled with intellectuals and time-tested politicians.

BTW, when are you porting back to APC?

You mean the voices of self determination from Ijaws, Ogojas, Calabars, Anaangs, Efiks, Ibiobios which produced the Earnest Ikoli and the first Nigerian AG federation, Graham Douglas, was nothing but a babble to the Eastern lords! So fair an assessment from "freedom" fighters! As for the credit given to NCNC on the independence of Southern Cameroon, Wikipedia has a little info. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cameroons

The Cameroonians left Nigeria because of the "Domineering" attitude of Nigerian politicians. Their separation started with British ordinance in 1953 and completed with UN plebiscite and resolutions of 1961. This happened not because of Nigerian politicians but despite their domineering attitude. your research will reveal the most likely oppressors in that unhappy union!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Abagworo(m): 11:20pm On Dec 17, 2015
As usual they once again seek for unity with relevant Yorubas while Igbos stake their political relevance for them. Its alright but I am not one of the Igbos who did it. I'm glad voting a strong and incorruptible Northerner.

In a nutshell according to the OP Igbos played no role in Jonathan's emergence but rather played a role in his downfall.

Onye nwere nti nuru ihe.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by papparatzzi2013: 11:22pm On Dec 17, 2015
Abagworo:
As usual they once again seek for unity with relevant Yorubas while Igbos stake their political relevance for them. Its alright but I am not one of the Igbos who did it. I'm glad voting a strong and incorruptible Northerner.

In a nutshell according to the OP Igbos played no role in Jonathan's emergence but rather played a role in his downfall.

Onye nwere nti nuru ihe.

The quoted is actually a fact that is well known in the political clime of Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Unamad: 11:32pm On Dec 17, 2015
Abagworo:

Onye nwere nti nuru ihe.

One fact is Igbo had the Vice Presidency ticket under APC but becos of GEJ let it go so as not to share south east vote.

Igbos have been punished more than any tribe becos of GEJ support.

Further, GEJ had a responsibility to all in his administration to retain power for another 4 years but he was too weak.

I doubt comments of TonyeBarcanista an Itsekiri man that did not support GEJ presidency but claims to be Ijaw has any standing.

2 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ikechu1278: 11:34pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Maybe some misguided and ignorant politicians, I don't think any Ijaw or southern minority can fault Awo. Apart from his role in Ikoli's political fortune, Awo also created Ministry of Midwest just to pacify the midwersterners(now Edo and Delta) when they agitated for a region of their own because he doesn't want Western region to split. In fact, the Southern minorities in present day Rivers/Bayelsa/Cross-River and Akwa Ibom states at that time were agitating for Rivers and Calabar region, the Eastern Region not only opposed it but didn't give us any special ministry to at least pacify us. The North never did likewise to the agitating middlebelt.

Was it not Awolowo that advised Gowon to give us Rivers and Cross river states(now Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa ibom) after years of agitation?

This dude stay rewriting history on NL. When and where did Awolwo support the creation of Midwest? Awolowo was against mid west creation despite his pretense. Akintola was the only one who changed his view in regards to Mid West Creation. Awolowo never did. Every f2king body that is actually a REAL Midwesterner actually know this crucial part of history in regards to the creation of Midwest.

While I'm at it, akintola was the ONLY one the created any form of minister or council for Midwest, never Awolowo. Don't stay on NL rewriting history you have zero idea of you.

For those that want to know the REAL history in regards to Awolwo participation in creation to midwest, read below

But shortly after he did so, the Action Group won 15 out of 30 seats from the Midwest in the Western House elections of August 8, 1960, even barely beating an Otu-Edo candidate in Benin as well Prince Shaka Momodu in Irrua, in what was regarded as an upset, perhaps influenced by manipulation of the 1959 voter’s register. This outcome emboldened Awolowo and Akintola to publicly declare that they would not support the creation of the Midwest until after the 1964 federal elections when they would be in power at the center – although they kept up pressure for creation of the Calabar-Ogoja-Rivers and Middle Belt States in other regions. Meanwhile, Barrister SO Ighodaro had taken over the Ministry of Midwest Affairs from Anthony Enahoro, when the latter elected to go federal, having lost out to SLA Akintola who returned to the West to succeed Awolowo as the Premier. 

The 1960 constitution specified that for a referendum to take place seeking to establish support for a new region, two-thirds majority must approve it in the Federal House of Representatives and Senate, followed by majority approval in two-thirds of regions. Recognizing the key role which the governing party in the federal government in Lagos would have in initiating any legislative move toward the creation of the Midwest, Festus Okotie-Eboh and his mentor, Humphrey Omo-Osagie, were busy lobbying northern leaders. Eventually Festus Okotie-Eboh almost single handedly got Alhaji Muhammadu Ribadu and Alhaji Ahmadu Bello of the NPC to agree in principle to make an exception for the Midwest based on its unique history, knowing they were generally opposed to States creation. Without this crucial achievement on the part of Chief Okotie-Eboh, the creation of the Midwest would have been dead in the water. It was in recognition of this strategic feat that
Festus Okotie-Eboh was given a chieftaincy title in Benin, the Elaba of Uselu. Chief Humphrey Omo-Osagie, the indefatigable fighter with whom Oba Akenzua II had had his ups and downs but whose firm resolve and loyalty to his people had stood the test of time, was conferred with the title of Iyase of Benin. [Egharevba, Op. Cit.] (The Action Group Western region government, however, refused to confirm both titles until 1962 when there was an emergency administration in office at Ibadan).

Nevertheless, the Akintola government in Ibadan moved quickly to consolidate its gains. It appointed many Midwesterners to ministerial positions, created a Midwest minority area and advisory council, and reorganized its administrative structure to create six new regional conferences, as if in tacit recognition of the six regions it was canvassing for the country. Chief Anthony Enahoro became the Chairman of the Midwest regional executive – which did not include Akoko-Edo district and Warri division. Dalton Ogieva Asemota, a well known independent, distinguished retiree from the United African Company (UAC), personal friend of Oba Akenzua II and first Chairman of the Midwest Advisory Council, became appointed by the Western region as the first post-independence Senator from Benin Province in Lagos, while Senator M.G. Ejaife, a household name in Urhoboland, was appointed to represent the Delta. 

Dennis Osadebay, leader of the Midwest State movement, left Ibadan for Lagos to take up his new position as Senate President, to replace Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe who had become the Governor-General. Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh became the Federal Minister of Finance and leader of the parliamentary party. The straight shooting Michael Okpara replaced Nnamdi Azikiwe as Premier of the Eastern region and leader of the NCNC. Alhaji Tafawa Balewa of the NPC became the Prime Minister. Alhaji Ahmadu Bello held fort in the Northern region.

The ducks were lining up in a row.

1961-62

The years 1961 and 1962 moved with dizzying speed. At the Midwest regional conference of the AG, Chief Awolowo kept up his oft repeated statement that he would work for the simultaneous creation of the Midwest, COR and Middle Belt States. In the Midwest, however, his comments were regarded with skepticism, all the more so considering what was regarded as his preference for a balkanized version of the Midwest. In any case, in March 1961, the NCNC – urged by Chief Okotie-Eboh - formally opposed the exclusion of Akoko-Edo and Warri from the Midwest minority area.
When Chief Awolowo was confronted with the commitment the Western regional House of Assembly had made to creation the entire Midwest back in 1955 by approving the Sowole motion, he replied that he was no longer bound by that motion because the country was under colonial rule at the time [Federal Parliamentary debates, April 4, 1961]. The comment merely served to confirm suspicions that he
did not support the creation of the Midwest – under any circumstances – even though he challenged Balewa to create the Midwest before the end of May 1962

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/m/group/discussion?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A98288

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Appareil(m): 11:47pm On Dec 17, 2015
coolitempa:

Very right. Awolowo's principal programs benefitted all the regions controlled by the then Action Group and as I understand it, the mid-west benefitted immensely. It always surprises me when I listen to what the haters like to spread which is that there is some animousity between yorubas and the SS minorities, a postulation which is not found in reality as in the case of ikoli by Awolowo, and Jonathan by Obasanjo until they fell out.

It is even more significant to point out the fact that people from the Niger-Delta have a much closer relationship with the yorubas and have lived very peacefully with us for years just like we have with them, until the recent migration from the south east, there has always been harmony in our relationship. The problem is the tribal hate of the core south easterners for everyone including themselves.
Na wah oh!! May God intervene for the Igbos. I feel for them at this point.

1 Like

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by ikechu1278: 11:49pm On Dec 17, 2015
Ugomba:
One does not have to be a psychologist to detect that you have a deep rooted Igbophobic agenda which u want to use the power of social media to spread.
- You hid under the Nnamdi Kanu brouhaha which even we Anioma do not support to spread ur agenda in a bid to use it as a catalyst to create a SE vs SS enemity when many Igbo leaders were not in support of Nnamdi Kanu.

- You fool no one here.
- These your Agenda Can't sell again,not even here in Delta. Or even in Akwa Ibom/ Calabar.
Because People are weary about Ijaws too, if you doubt it, let the Ijaws champion the Niger Delta Republic agitation and watch how we Aniomas, even the Efik, Ibibios, Urhobos, Annang etc will kick against it because An Ijaw Man Have His Own Sterotypes.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even to the extent of rewritten history of Midwest. Like the f2k? Most of us from Midwest, that are REAL, not all this wannabe deltans know awolowo had zero bearing in the creation of Midwest. In fact, despite going on media to announce support, he frustrated every factor that could bring port a mid west. The only thing awolowo played a crucial role was the division of East, that is it.

That ijawcitizen/tonybarcainsta criminal stay on NK rewritten the history of EVERY SS group in this forum. Who the f2k appointed that dude historian. Like it I'd gella disgusting how an unknown, wannabe politicians feels he is now the voice of everyone. I honestly cannot stand that nigga and I hope he gets shot

4 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:52pm On Dec 17, 2015
ikechu1278:

This dude stay rewriting history on NL. When and where did Awolwo support the creation of Midwest? Awolowo was against mid west creation despite his pretense. Akintola was the only one who changed his view in regards to Mid West Creation. Awolowo never did. Every f2king body that is actually a REAL Midwesterner actually know this crucial part of history in regards to the creation of Midwest.

While I'm at it, akintola was the ONLY one the created any form of minister or council for Midwest, never Awolowo. Don't stay on NL rewriting history you have zero idea of you.

For those that want to know the REAL history in regards to Awolwo participation in creation to midwest, read below

http://ihuanedo.ning.com/m/group/discussion?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A98288
You see why I insist that you should get your fact right?

I said and I quote.....
I don't think any Ijaw or southern minority can fault Awo. Apart from his role in Ikoli's political fortune, Awo also created Ministry of Midwest just to pacify the midwersterners(now Edo and Delta) when they agitated for a region of their own because he doesn't want Western region to split.
You rushed to claim that Awo never created the ministry. Lemme cure your ignorance...

For the Midwest in particular, Anthony Enahoro proposed an idea patterned after the Ministry of Welsh Affairs that had been created in 1951 in the United Kingdom by the Conservative government. This concept meant that rather than a new Midwest region, the Midwest would be managed under a “Ministry of Midwest Affairs” concurrently under his supervision as the Western region Minister for Home Affairs. Chief Awolowo accepted this concept.

That shows that he was very much concerned about MidWest Affairs.

Like I said, you should get your fact right... And save other irrelevant epistles for yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by CeterisXVII: 11:53pm On Dec 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

I'll rather say there is something unique about Awo to support someone for a local election instead of his kinsman. I think the southern minorities are loyal to their benefactors and this has been working for us.

For instance, in Boro's memoir, he wrote lots of pleasant things towards Tafawa Balewa, Yakubu Gowon and the North...

Prof Tekene Tamuno, an Okrikan was appointed VC of University of Ibadan between 1975 and 79. Before then, he was a Head of Department and Dean of Faculty of the school. Imagine a school like UI having an Ijaw VC... In fact, he became 'yorubanised' and even married a Yorubawoman.

Professor David West is another Ijawman that doesn't joke with the yoruba-nation. This show of loyalty is very common with ethnic nationalities in the South.

Personally, I don't joke with ANY of my benefactors.

God bless you one million times on Sundays, and five million times on weekdays! cheesy People forget that there are Ijaw communities who are indigenous to Ondo State & Edo State, stretching down to Rivers.

Unlike some ethnic tribes that blame others for their woes, I do believe a synergy of like minds across different ethnic groups working together for the common good, can change the fortunes of our nation in a positive way! undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by Leopardd(m): 11:55pm On Dec 17, 2015
psssst, this barca nigga should get real with himself and get something doing.

swaying left and right, typical nigerian politician. Ok, as usual time to blame and slay Igbos and go back to Yorubas. Pssst! Nah. Crazy.
Re: Ikoli-Awolowo Relationship: Ijaw-Yoruba Political Relationship by TimeManager(m): 11:55pm On Dec 17, 2015
While i agree with you that awo/ikoli birthed yoruba/ijaw relationship, baba Awo will always choose substance over affluence irrespective of tribal affiliations which he ably found in ikoli. A principle of substance quite evident in Awo's professionalism and ideology.

No lie only truth!

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kogi: Tribunal Admits Wada’s Expert Report, Dismisses APC, Inec’s Objection / Festus Keyamo Gets PMB 2019 Appointment as Director Strategic Communication / Nela Duke And Asuquo Ekpeyong Welcome Their First Child, Alexandra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.