Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,862 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki (35461 Views)

$15b Deals: I’m Ready For Trial, Says Ex-nsa Dasuki / Dasukigate: The Nation Newspaper Returns N9million / SSS Ignores Court Order, Maintains Siege On Ex-nsa Dasuki’s House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by dadaojames(m): 1:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
The management of The Sun newspaper issued the statement below, Sunday, to announce its return of the N9million it received from the office of the National Security Adviser “as compensation for the seizure of its newspapers and stop­page of circulation during the Goodluck Jonathan administration in June 2014.”

It said the the N9million cheque had since been returned to the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria, NPAN, for onward passage to the office of the National Security Adviser.

[b]NPAN and N120 million compensation: Our position 1
[/b]In deference to public outcry and the need to protect its corporate integrity, the Management of The Sun Publishing Limited has returned the N9 million received from the Presidency through the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN) as compensation for the seizure of its newspapers and stop­page of circulation during the Goodluck Jonathan administration in June 2014.
In a statement issued yesterday and signed by its Managing Director/Editor-in- Chief, Mr. Eric Osagie, The Sun said it took the decision following the controversies, which the payment of the compensation had generated and the need to come clean on the matter.
The statement reads further: “The Man­agement of The Sun Publishing Limited has considered the public outcry and diverse controversies generated among media houses, the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN) and the public over the N120 million paid by the Goodluck Jonathan administration as compensation to newspaper companies for the unlawful seizure of their newspapers and stoppage of circulation by armed soldiers in several cities across the country in June 2014.
Having reviewed the situation, we wish to state as follows:

After the unlawful action of the military, to which The Sun lost millions of naira, we had signified the intention to commence litigation against the Federal Government along with other affected newspaper companies.

2. However, at the level of the NPAN, which The Sun is a member, a decision was collectively taken to accept the Presidency’s offer of peaceful settlement in place of litigation in the interest of peace and national security.
We were later informed of the payment of N120 million compensation out of which the sum of N9 million was paid to The Sun Management by the NPAN.

At the time the compensation was paid, we had no inkling whatsoever under which expen­diture sub-head in the Presidency the fund was sourced and that it was allegedly part of the funds meant for the purchase of arms.

As a very responsible newspaper organization, which places premium on ethics, individual and corporate integrity, we are certainly embarrassed by the turn of events and the unfortunate insinuation of involvement in the illegal sharing of the nation’s commonwealth and the feasting on the blood of soldiers fighting the war against insurgency.

We believe strongly in our corporate integrity and principles of fairness and social justice, which have driven our business considerations over the years.
In the light of the foregoing, we have returned the cheque of N9 million to the NPAN for onward transmission to the source through which it came.

We have seen that the good intention not to seek redress in court has seemingly backfired.
We have also given notice to our lawyers to immediately commence the process in court to redress the huge loss suffered through the actions of the military.

We assure our teeming readers of our commitment to serving them faithfully and conscientiously by upholding the time-tested principles of fair business ethics, equity and social justice.

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/195475-dasukigate-the-sun-newspaper-returns-n9million-it-got-from-ex-nsa-dasuki.html

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by omooba969(m): 1:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
Sauce please, lies flying everywhere. undecided

Wetin the media outfit wan do wit meagre #9m? Abeg, post better lie jare.

@Op, why did you fail to include the word 'compensation' in your title?

Mtcheeew...bad journalism, twisted report. cool

FTC thingzzzz, the poster below me abeg wait for your time, turn by turn na so life be. grin

7 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 20, 2015
shocked
THIS HOW Some people is right now...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Tolexander: 1:42pm On Dec 20, 2015
That is nice!

Dasuki has only succeeded in roping the newspaper in.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Omotayor123(f): 1:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Clerverly: 1:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
Nice One! Oliseh Metuh had used his own to Build Mansions in Abuja and His village!

Ndi Ara!

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by asEdeyHOT: 1:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
If I want to be honest, the SUN newspaper has behaved better than most of these newspaper outfits.

They have even written several editorials condemning Jonathan and the horrible way he ran the country. Whilst the likes of the Vanguard and Guardian are still denying their involvement, the SUN has paid back the money that Dasuki paid them.

The first path to forgiveness is restitution

214 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by doctokwus: 1:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
Does the sun,thisday and vanguard sincerely have much reputation left? I doubt.Its certainly not the return of this N9m that will repair their damaged image.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by dammytosh: 1:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
When they ask the stupeed question "where is the change" ?

This is the change

I have always said it. The country is messed up economically but PDP is never an option.

Whenever the ignorant and hungry analysts type "this is the change you voted for".

The question on my mind is, should we have voted PDP instead ?

Fayose and the eediots saying nobody refunded any money. They are coming out themselves.

VOTING OUT PDP WAS THE BEST DECISION MADE BY ANYBODY IN 2015 !!

353 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by carinmom(f): 1:59pm On Dec 20, 2015
Thisday should better emulate what Sun newspaper has done. Like i said, this drama is getting more interesting. This is really a season of confession grin

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by olapluto(m): 2:00pm On Dec 20, 2015
This has never happened in the history of my great country. People returning stolen funds willingly!
If Buhari continues at this pace, decorum will soon return to Nigeria. Only when the water is still, can we start planning actual development.

172 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by modath(f): 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
OUK is a bawse!! cool

He knows quite well the injury site may never look same again but if it is well taken care of, gangrene will never set in..

@carinmon.

Thisday can't return nothing unless you plan to kill him, his lawyer had already alleged he is owing different banks, left, right & centre.

The guy got Rose taste on his alomo income.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by omooba969(m): 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2015
doctokwus:
Does the sun,thisday and vanguard sincerely have much reputation left? I doubt.Its certainly not the return of this N9m that will repair their damaged image.

I believe it's important to read & dissect the post, only then will you realise that one question needs asking( i.e ) :

Is Sun newspaper culpable knowing that the payment was a compensation?

But 9ja ppl will rather rush to conclusion on reading that money was received & not the purpose of such payment. cool

15 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by modath(f): 2:10pm On Dec 20, 2015
dammytosh:
When they ask the stupeed question "where is the change"

This is the change

I have always said it. The country is messed up economically but PDP is never an option.

#word

& in the case I need to repeat myself Your siggy is the bizness!! wink

4 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by PRYCE(m): 2:12pm On Dec 20, 2015
Nice Statement!

Taking responsibility for your actions is the height of Self Maturity!

7 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
Someone should quote me if this makes the FP!
Certainly it can!!!
grin

1 Like

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
Good move
Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by PRYCE(m): 2:15pm On Dec 20, 2015
omooba969:

I believe it's important to read & dissect the post, only then will you realise that one question needs asking( i.e ) :

Is Sun newspaper culpable knowing that the payment was a compensation?

But 9ja ppl will rather rush to conclusion on reading that money was received & not the purpose of such payment
People like My sister Modath up there!

3 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by vedaxcool(m): 2:16pm On Dec 20, 2015
Na only N9M dem recieve? They should check very well. The more appropriate person to have received compensation is the Ministry of Defense. NSA moved beyond its brief and greed made Sun act dishonorably.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Lanretoye(m): 2:16pm On Dec 20, 2015
Okay,who else pass through the gate?.

2 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by themilanway(m): 2:18pm On Dec 20, 2015
I will never regret voting Buhari and I will vote him again and again over Jonathan.

Never again

97 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Pavore9: 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2015
Returning money is so odd.

6 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by spinoff: 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2015
dammytosh:
When they ask the stupeed question "where is the change"

This is the change

4 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by spinoff: 2:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
olapluto:
This has never happened in the history of my great country. People returning stolen funds willingly!
If Buhari continues at this pace, decorum will soon return to Nigeria. Only when the water is still, can we start planning actual development.

10 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by dammytosh: 2:22pm On Dec 20, 2015
modath:

#word

& in the case I need to repeat myself Your siggy is the bizness!! wink

LOL

I missed it earlier

Thanks bro.
Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by Aufbauh(m): 2:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
When Baba says that looters are returning their loots some 'doubting Thomases' aka the Wailers said it is a Scam.
Now their reputable media outfit is leading the crusade for the return of shared loot, i hope they'll now accept the reality of Buhari's statement.

Meanwhile the sun newspaper should not fail to return the loot without interest as the 9m has accumulated interest over time in fixed deposit or return on investment.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by akinsbaba2015: 2:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
They are yet to come to terms that integrity is not bought off the shelves or on Jumia.com. We encourage others to return our monies that the former administration looted/misappropriated

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by urbanmonk: 2:43pm On Dec 20, 2015
The sun collected the money under Femi Adesina. The presidency is now occupied by hypocrites and liars.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by modath(f): 2:43pm On Dec 20, 2015
PRYCE:
People like My sister up there!

I really don't know the appropriate response for this but I expect better from you, which is why I'm replying your mention., sorry for the high expectations....

I'm far from being an airhead, our bias & sentiments just don't align, which should be cool cos everyone can form their opinions . Free to associate whichever way suits them... one man's meat.... live & let live...

10 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by IbokUtoroh(m): 2:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
d loots wey e dey?
cbn denies any knowledge of returned loots, even the finance minister is not of the know, isnt this another form of corruption?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
Wow, the goats are returning the stolen yam. Nice one the Sun. Uzor Kalu de fear jail sef grin grin grin

29 Likes

Re: Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki by modath(f): 2:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Space booker!! grin cheesy

How ya doing? Been a while!! smiley

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagosians React To Jonathan's Campaign In Lagos On Twitter / Wike Places N200 Million Bounty On Perpetrators Of New Year Day Killing / APC Presidential Primary: Full Speech By Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.