Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,943 members, 7,835,139 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

The Travails Of Marrying Late - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Travails Of Marrying Late (75292 Views)

What Is The Cost Of Marrying A Bride In Your Town? / 7 Advantages Of Marrying A Man Who Can Cook! / 5 Disadvantages Of Marrying A Man Who Can Cook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by seasonfilm: 10:48pm On Dec 22, 2015
a2space:
I am a 37 year old bachelor and I must confess that never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that someday I would be desperate to get married. When I was in my twenties, I used to hear of desperation amongst ladies to get married but I never clearly understood the feeling. I felt it was a "lady thing" until I got to the age of 34yrs. One day I was in my bedroom suddenly I felt the rush of emotions come upon me so strongly that all of a sudden started making me feel desperate for marriage. By the following year the desperate feeling became like torture and the loneliness was so depressing. I could no longer stand it when I attended weddings to see other young couples getting married. I could no longer stand it when I hear people discussing marriage around me.

I became like an object of fun in the office when they would call me "the oldest bachelor". I'm telling you, the feeling is not funny at all. Even when people innocently ask "Hey, why are you not yet married?" or "what are u waiting for?" It's a question that I just can't take emotionally. Though I'm doing my best to tie the knot soon but I must confess that it is a feeling that I don't even wish my enemies to have.

If me as a guy could be feeling like this, I can just imagine what single ladies of marriageable age are passing through emotionally.
For those of you reading my post, it is my prayer that you all get married at the right time and age so that you don't have to pass through the same emotional trauma of loneliness and desperation to get married.

Make person come do marry. Please I need a God fearing lady who is ready for marriage. From North West, either yoruba, or edo, am serious. Just beep me @email sman4real01@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by danbrowndmf(m): 10:48pm On Dec 22, 2015
misspicy:

I can't see nothing,maybe my other account tongue
u see am.u ignore am...make e go sha..replied ur mail.
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Nobody: 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2015
prettyjo:
Can you sell that *space* for me so i can use it?
Plus i see we're both July-born, whats your date?
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by holums(m): 10:50pm On Dec 22, 2015
Patience Bro.................marriage is not a desperate thing, marry the bone of ur bone and enjoy heaven on earth but don't see it as solution to loneliness or emotional torture

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 22, 2015
moriarity:
grin grin cheesy . Take it easy on him God's time is the best cheesy

that guy done dey reach male menopause o. I won't let him be at all.

robosky02:

kachi make this truck no jam you hmmmmmmmmmm

lol
Come, how old you be sef?
Make I know when I go remember your own matter. Don't think you are safe...
No be to dey create thread, una no go allow babes rest for this NL whereas some of una sp*rm done dey turn to tadpole due to old age.

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Pidggin(f): 10:52pm On Dec 22, 2015
Priests and Rev. sisters do not marry until they die, some live till 100- Food4tot

3 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by blakky97(m): 10:52pm On Dec 22, 2015
FisifunKododada:
cool Marriage is NOT mandatory. I repeat marriage is NOT mandatory. Its a cultural expectation. Like believing in God or going to church or mosque. There is nothing intrinsically NEEDFUL about it. And if you enter marriage out of desperation, you will be more likely to end up with one of these very numerous one-chance marriages that will cut your lifespan by half. Be a man. Think for yourself and stop worrying too much about people's and cultural expectations. If you die now, none of these people disturbing your life will agree to join you 6 feet under. Wise up bro.
theres a saying that a man cannever be too different from his environment for too long. if you leave a British woman in the village for some time, she will learn how to sweep with broom, wash clothes with hands and soap, and cook with firewood. now my point is this; if your social environment demands that you are married at a particular stage in your life, it will, of necessity, impose a psychological stress on you amd either force you to go out of your way to comply, migrate, or live without confidence and certainty

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Jidibia(m): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
cremedelacreme:
I wonder why people would not mind their business. It's really annoying when people keep on asking you "what are you waiting for?". Everybody must not marry in their twenties. My advice to the unmarried ones is not to allow pressure from people to push you into marrying the wrong person. angry
May God bless you. Same pressure I am facing from my family and friends. But trust me, I dey treat their f*ck up. I don't bow to societal and family pressure.

5 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by amosade30(m): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
smileysmiles:
I know this feeling. Lol
u not cwios, au's ya dog doin nw?
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Taolyn4lif(m): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2015
Eeyaaa
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 22, 2015
I feel for you but all izz going to be well.
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by elantraceey(f): 10:58pm On Dec 22, 2015
tosyne2much:
Na Dy.geasy quote you remember, you no fit remember my own.. Diaris God oooo

I smell a rat cheesy

You get many quotes nau, how many I go fit remember? tongue
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by jamela(f): 10:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
I understand what the op is going through. A sage once said, the older you get the less friends you have around you. You now have more of accomplices. Now for the OP, the loneliness you feel is as a result of many things. 1. You're losing your youthful good looks, figure, hair, and most young ladies you meet treat you like you some dirty old sugar daddy, thereby narrowing the chances of ever finding true love each passing year. 2. All your mates would rather spend time with their families and attend their family/children's occasions than spend time hanging out with you. 3. Everyday people, office gate security, neighbours, cleaners or even road side policemen show more respect in their behaviour and greetings to those married people you are even much older than cos they see the others looking more responsible when they turn up with family. 4. You worry about how long you have left to live and if you would ever live long enough to see your grandchild. 5. It suddenly looks like you have been asleep chasing money or whatever else kept you unaware for so long and now you start to think what about all your female friends on your contacts, but as soon as you scan through you realise they are all married so you have to start afresh in chasing ladies and your pick up skills may have worn out. 6. You consider the fact that if you are meeting a new lady for the first time, you are probably gonna need some time to really know her before you commit to marriage and this time could all be wasted if she turns out to be wrong and you have to start afresh with another.

The solution to all these is go down on your knees and pray. Ask God to take control of your life and your situation. Many are married and wish they weren't. Marriage is not the end but the beginning of a lifelong journey. All these fears you have are human but trust me they are not as bad as the fears of those living wit a human terror for a spouse. If it's God's will that you will marry trust in His time.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by deeptesting(m): 11:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
blakky97:

bro, what are the factors that make mr A get married at 25 and mr B at 50? please dont say money because not all married people are rich. and some people get rich while married.

You cannot factor it to just one reason, people do same thing for different reasons especially in marriage.. However, from my point of view people go into marriage for wrong reasons in this part of the world as a result of our cultural belief in marriage that once a man or a woman is of age the next expectation is to get married and start raising their children. Hence, majority marry because they are of age, have a job, have a roof over their head, A is married so why won`t B etc and that is why we have so many unstable homes and people who are married but lonely or not happy and does quadruplet the rate of cheating and broken homes.

Of course you know it is rare to find an African Man not married at 50. Those who marry late are an exception who do not follow the dogma or general convention.

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by 9jatatafo(m): 11:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
Why the mad rush?

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by blakky97(m): 11:03pm On Dec 22, 2015
Amhappy:
Good luck bro. For those who desire to get married,pray to God for a suitable partner and hold on to the right person when he/she comes along. The truth remains that at as age increases,it is more tough for ladies,so don't wait for so long. The pressure you will put on yourself alone is huge not to talk of the one from ur family and friends. A friend of mine just got duped in the name of love. A beautiful lady that many men were dying for some years back. She was a good preacher against desperation and I still couldn't believe it caught her.
by your statement "dont wait for so long" you mean what exactly? what does a woman really do to get married? toast? or agree to her toasters whether or not they intend to settle down? 90% men out there just want to get down with you if they're not wealthy enough to head a family. and then the wealthy and successful ones have been taken. so?
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by phatjerry(m): 11:04pm On Dec 22, 2015
:PE UM INDO DIA EA MAIS BELA LUZ DO SEU ROSTO E PETITE ;DE UM INDO DIA EA MAIS BELA LUZ DO SEU ROSTO E PETITE
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by oluwanoni: 11:21pm On Dec 22, 2015
If you notice most persons who say marriage is not compulsory on these thread and op should take it slowly , is either married or have married before.

Marriage is a good thing, marry sharply abeg, if doesn't work out the fine, but how can u tell weather an orange would be sweet or not just by looking at it, even if it's ripe.

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by blakky97(m): 11:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
deeptesting:

You cannot factor it to just one reason, people do same thing for different reasons especially in marriage.. However, from my point of view people go into marriage for wrong reasons in this part of the world as a result of our cultural belief in marriage that once a man or a woman is of age the next expectation is to get married and start raising their children. Hence, majority marry because they are of age, have a job, have a roof over their head, A is married so why won`t B etc and that is why we have so many unstable homes and people who are married but lonely or not happy and does quadruplet the rate of cheating and broken homes.

Of course you know it is rare to find an African Man not married at 50. Those who marry late are an exception who do not follow the dogma or general convention.
when you acquire good properties, especially lands and a good business, you might just want to will it to someone after your demise. except you dont mind a child born out of wedlock, marriage comes to mind.
I really dream of being a father close to his kids, making a happy home, grooming sons and daughters who I will be proud of; and whose intellect will stupefy mortal minds. but the trouble here is; most ladies seek for comfort and security in marriage, dreaming of riches and fleeing any prospect of being paired up with a struggling man. I realise; the more progress I make the less attracted I get to ladies especially because they were absent at the beginning.

4 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by LastProphet: 11:23pm On Dec 22, 2015
a2space:
I am a 37 year old bachelor and I must confess that never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that someday I would be desperate to get married. When I was in my twenties, I used to hear of desperation amongst ladies to get married but I never clearly understood the feeling. I felt it was a "lady thing" until I got to the age of 34yrs. One day I was in my bedroom suddenly I felt the rush of emotions come upon me so strongly that all of a sudden started making me feel desperate for marriage. By the following year the desperate feeling became like torture and the loneliness was so depressing. I could no longer stand it when I attended weddings to see other young couples getting married. I could no longer stand it when I hear people discussing marriage around me.

I became like an object of fun in the office when they would call me "the oldest bachelor". I'm telling you, the feeling is not funny at all. Even when people innocently ask "Hey, why are you not yet married?" or "what are u waiting for?" It's a question that I just can't take emotionally. Though I'm doing my best to tie the knot soon but I must confess that it is a feeling that I don't even wish my enemies to have.

If me as a guy could be feeling like this, I can just imagine what single ladies of marriageable age are passing through emotionally.
For those of you reading my post, it is my prayer that you all get married at the right time and age so that you don't have to pass through the same emotional trauma of loneliness and desperation to get married.

your background is part of it which determines the kind of people you end up having around you both at work and neighborhood. not all bachelors feel like you and don't think every unmarried lady you see feels lonely. one trip, I repeat one trip to a developed country and you will understand that marriage is just optional and that Nigerians are the most ignorant people in the world. talking about lonely do you mean you have no girlfriend? or is it lonely of having noise in your house? do you read books at all? do you have any goal that isnt giving you time to even call family members in a whole month? there are single men and ladies living like that my brother many many of them are my friends, one finally married last year at 43 and he is happier and richer than most married folks i know even before he married. and lastly if any pastor is making you feel your greatest assignment on earth is to give birth to children and you believe it then am sorry for you because you haven't seen loneliness yet

4 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by FisifunKododada: 11:24pm On Dec 22, 2015
blakky97:

theres a saying that a man cannever be too different from his environment for too long. if you leave a British woman in the village for some time, she will learn how to sweep with broom, wash clothes with hands and soap, and cook with firewood. now my point is this; if your social environment demands that you are married at a particular stage in your life, it will, of necessity, impose a psychological stress on you amd either force you to go out of your way to comply, migrate, or live without confidence and certainty

cool At the bolded not necessarily unless you measure the value of your life by other people's opinions. The day you realize you have ONLY one life to live, and living it to please every Dvck and Harry is a waste of life. That is the day you become truly free. Besides, there are quite of few Nigerian bachelors who remain so for the rest of their lives and were very productive/loved members of society.

5 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Ymodulus: 11:30pm On Dec 22, 2015
initialize:
i feel this thread.... It's talking to me. Ymodulus keeps asking me when but he knows i wont marry myself

I'm searching for her on this thread

Lol.

You will Soon do so.

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by adelujohn(m): 11:31pm On Dec 22, 2015
I believe there's a time for everything. Your time to marry is when u have the right understanding of Why God create marriage and u are convinced You are ready for it......whether at 25 or 45.
Bottom line: the timing largely depends on us: how early in life we can settle the aforementioned.
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 22, 2015
Some men in their 40s are still single and are not complaining

2 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by jamela(f): 11:38pm On Dec 22, 2015
blakky97:

if you leave a British woman in the village for some time, she will learn how to sweep with broom, wash clothes with hands and soap, and cook with firewood.

Now this point is just funny, the above was possible during the time of Mary Slessor. If you leave a 21st century British woman in your village, she would return to Britain as fast as she came and file a law suit to divorce you in seconds.

Btw, your point was well thought out, your example just caught my attention

2 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by a2space(m): 11:39pm On Dec 22, 2015
jamela:
I understand what the op is going through. A sage once said, the older you get the less friends you have around you. You now have more of accomplices. Now for the OP, the lonliness you feel is as a result of many things. 1. You're losing your youthful good looks, figure, hair, and most young ladies you meet treat you like you some dirty old sugar daddy, thereby narrowing the chances of ever finding true love each passing year. 2. All your mates would rather spend time with their families and attend their family/children's occasions than spend time hanging out with you. 3. Everyday people, office gate security, neighbours, cleaners or even road side policemen show more respect in their behaviour and greetings to those married people you are even much older than cos they see the others looking more responsible when they turn up with family. 4. You worry about how long you have left to live and if you would ever live long enough to see your grandchild. 5. It suddenly looks like you have been asleep chasing money or whatever else kept you unaware for so long and now you start to think what about all your female friends on your contacts, but as soon as you scan through you realise they are all married so you have to start afresh in chasing ladies and your pick up skills may have worn out. 6. You consider the fact that if you are meeting a new lady for the first time, you are probably gonna need some time to really know her before you commit to marriage and this time could all be wasted if she turns out to be wrong and you have to start afresh with another.

The solution to all these is go down on your knees and pray. Ask God to take control of your life and your situation. Many are married and wish they weren't. Marriage is not the end but the beginning of a lifelong journey. All these fears you have are human but trust me they are not as bad as the fears of those living wit a human terror for a spouse. If it's God's will that you will marry trust in His time.

You are the only one that has made the most reasonable comment so far that's why I'm quoting u. Thanks for your comments. from OP

2 Likes

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Dexema(m): 11:39pm On Dec 22, 2015
deeptesting:
Marriage does not cure loneliness, if that is the only reason for getting married then take a chill Pepsi big bottle and relax because many are married and still lonely.. Secondly, what people say or think about you at 37 should not be your business, neither should it force you to get married... Bro i simply want you marry because you understand the purpose of the contract called marriage.. "Solitude is a gift".
marriage does cure loneliness if its to the right person, even the holy book says " it is not good for a man to be alone "a man feeling lonely in his comfort zone is a sign he longs for companionship and a family.
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by jamela(f): 11:40pm On Dec 22, 2015
a2space:

You are the only one that has made the most reasonable comment so far that's why I'm quoting u. Thanks for your comments. from OP

You're welcome OP
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by SexyStrawberry(f): 11:40pm On Dec 22, 2015
a2space:

Hmmmmm, dis is surprising coming from a guy, well.......unfortunately we still have old bachelors of 40yrs and above, and dem still dey do shakara o!

1 Like

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Dexema(m): 11:42pm On Dec 22, 2015
jamela:

Now this point is just funny, the above was possible during the time of Mary Selessor. If you leave a 21st century British woman in your village, she would return to Britain as fast as she came and file a law suit to divorce you in seconds.

Btw, your point was well taught out, your example just caught my attention
[b][/b]
smart chic
Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by deeptesting(m): 11:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
blakky97:
when you acquire good properties, especially lands and a good business, you might just want to will it to someone after your demise. except you dont mind a child born out of wedlock, marriage comes to mind.
I really dream of being a father close to his kids, making a happy home, grooming sons and daughters who I will be proud of; and whose intellect will stupefy mortal minds. but the trouble here is; most ladies seek for comfort and security in marriage, dreaming of riches and fleeing any prospect of being paired up with a struggling man. I realise; the more progress I make the less attracted I get to ladies especially because they were absent at the beginning.

*Smiles** It is in your head not all ladies are after riches or wealth.. The fact depends on where you are beaming your search light, you see the irony of it is if you meet an independent woman or one who does not place value on riches you may call her a Feminist.. Those who place values on riches are low lifers and not women of virtue..

Be bold to approach independent girls.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Travails Of Marrying Late by Nobody: 11:43pm On Dec 22, 2015
OP, Marriage is over-rated! Your state of single-hood looks so deplorable for you right now. When you eventually get married, the excitement will wear off after about 6 months with the next expectation being having children. When the children finally comes, the pressure to provide for your family becomes more prominent and will weigh you down.

This will adversely affect your relationship with your spouse and you will now experience what is called "marital shock". When this happens, you will begin to look back at your years of bachelorhood with relish and nostalgia.

Trust me. Many married men will be envying you in their hearts.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do / Please Help: How Do You Find A Mother You Have Never Met / I Caught My Housemaid Sexually Assaulting My Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.