Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,937 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? (28570 Views)

Is 50k Job suitable Enough For A Fresh Graduate in Lagos ? / 50k Job In Sango Otta / Nobody Really Cares, So Hide That Certificate And Just Survive Anyhow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by emalekuo(m): 10:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
Waka throway better pass to sidon for house. Be wise.

Even if you spend the whole 50k on transport still take the job.

1 Like

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by purplekayc(m): 10:40pm On Dec 23, 2015
He should be looking for another job while doing this one

1 Like

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by harry509: 10:42pm On Dec 23, 2015
QSFemi:
Good evening nairalanders. This is my first post on this platform and I enjoined you all to overlook my simplicity. I need your views on the scenario I am about to relate. I have a degree like many other peeps out there, completed nysc july this year and have hitherto been jobless. Well, Like a twist of fate, I got a job just yesterday that will be paying me 50k in Lag. I based in Akure and the job is in Ketu, Lagos. My friend that I can squat with temporarily lives at awoyaya, Ibeju-Lekki lga. Can I survive? What do you think peeps?
hmmmmM! U better take d job ooh n u Rr so lucky 2 av it. If I wia u I wil use BRT bus 2 cut down xpenses. Congrat bro am happy 4 u. Me am even tired of edo state self n am even tinkn of selling all I av and cum 2 lagos n husle......
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by butanep(m): 10:49pm On Dec 23, 2015
babajeje123:
I stay at Awoyaya and I know where Ketu is. If If you are out by 5am, you will get a bus going to Obalende at #200. From Obalende to Ketu is #150. That is #350 in the morning. In the evening while coming, from Ketu to Obalende is #150. You can never get a straight bus from Obalende to Awoyaya. So, Obalende to Ajah is #200 and Ajah to Awoyaya is #150 (for car) and #100 for bus (these exclude bike fares). So,

Your transportation will be 1000 per day (excluding feeding)

1000 x 5 day = 5000
5000 x 4 weeks = 20000

So, you will have 30000 left for other things like food, clothes, etc.

I will suggest you take it and be on the look out for better options.

Very explanatory.

1 Like

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by tuzle(m): 10:53pm On Dec 23, 2015
rationalmind:

This isn't true neither is it close to being true. Ibeju-Lekki to iyana oworo cannot be more than 400. Iyana oworo to Ketu can't be more than 100 naira. That's maximum of a thousand naira per day.

There's a way these things work. OP wakes early, he gets a direct vehicle to ketu and pays 200 naira. More so, It's equally possible a staff stays around him which will ease t fare.

OP, I'll strongly suggest you take it and start from somewhere. I personally know someone who stays at iyana-ipaja, works at Ikoyi, and his salary isn't up to 30K.

Congrats on your new job.
guy i dont belive it i stay at ayobo and work at yaba and i spend almost 700 per day on transportation and i leave my house as early as 5am. calculate dat for amount for month. and from iyana ipaja to ikoyi should be about 400. from ajah(awoyaya) to ketu with just 50k as salary is like commiting suicide but if he decides to take brt or it will help alot but taking public transport oboy.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by greggng: 10:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
Given ur location u cannot survive with that type of pay. I ve been there before. Is better u start frying plantain cos the stress of that job and lagos stress will kill you. Get a teaching job in akure and start frm their. When I served in ogbomoso, I realised how stressful lagos can be. I rented a decent house for 12k per year. And with 5k you re like a king in the market u will fill ur store with food that will last you 4 months plus. You can now imagine how much you will save if you work there. I am making plans to relocate back to that place . The peace of mind their is very good for your health. Living home early will be risky for you in lagos. Ritualist could chop off ur head if u enter one chance. I ve lived in lagos for 20years and I cannot lie to you. Lagos is not what we think it is

3 Likes

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by ayosexy(f): 10:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
Yes u can

2 Likes

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Moreoffaith(m): 11:01pm On Dec 23, 2015
QSFemi:
Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it. Please how close is agege or ajegunle to ketu?

agege is closer.., with 600 you are good for the day... transport I mean o.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by seaga: 11:04pm On Dec 23, 2015
Yes you can if you are dating a girl like daretodiffer
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Dec 23, 2015
seaga:
Yes you can if you are dating a girl like daretodiffer

Me kesad
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 23, 2015
tuzle:
guy i dont belive it i stay at ayobo and work at yaba and i spend almost 700 per day on transportation and i leave my house as early as 5am. calculate dat for amount for month. and from iyana ipaja to ikoyi should be about 400. from ajah(awoyaya) to ketu with just 50k as salary is like commiting suicide but if he decides to take brt or it will help alot but taking public transport oboy.

Like I said, it doesn't work the way it appears.

Using the bolded part of your message, it used to cost me 200 naira to get to Lekki from iyana-ipaja. It can as well cost me 500 naira. All I need do is to be at my bus stop by 5a.m, take VI, 150 naira, come down at law school then I'll take Lekki 50 naira. On a bad day, I spend 250 naira.

So bro, no one who earns 30K will spend 400 naira to Ikoyi from iyana-ipaja. It's all about knowing how to cut cost.

There will always be a way to cut transportation cost. One just has to figure it out.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by engrkaz(m): 11:08pm On Dec 23, 2015
rationalmind:

This isn't true neither is it close to being true. Ibeju-Lekki to iyana oworo cannot be more than 400. Iyana oworo to Ketu can't be more than 100 naira. That's maximum of a thousand naira per day.

There's a way these things work. OP wakes early, he gets a direct vehicle to ketu and pays 200 naira. More so, It's equally possible a staff stays around him which will ease t fare.

OP, I'll strongly suggest you take it and start from somewhere. I personally know someone who stays at iyana-ipaja, works at Ikoyi, and his salary isn't up to 30K.

Congrats on your new job.
not true Awoyaya to Ajah is around 200 not too sure of the fare from Ajah to iyana oworo but shd b more than 200. Apart from T fare....the distance is quite much o. Ferry is an option from Ajah to ikorodu.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Igbo20(m): 11:09pm On Dec 23, 2015
it is difficut but but try nd find a closee place to stay .you will make it
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by teebarbie(f): 11:11pm On Dec 23, 2015
meanwhile I got a 50k job at akure with accommodation but I reside in Lagos. I don't know if I should accept the offer.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Btruth: 11:13pm On Dec 23, 2015
QSFemi:
Please, can I get accommodation of 70k at Berger? I can still afford dat. Please educate me
Why Berger? Why not within Ketu gangan? Well, it depends where your work dey sha? But for 70k apartment, maybe a single room.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by klassic(m): 11:24pm On Dec 23, 2015
@op, you will be driving against traffic most of the time, which will not only make your fare cheaper but less stressful. The problem is the distance and where exactly in ketu the job is located.Its okay, take the job, you will surely learn how to cope after the first few months . Good luck.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by abbeybiodun: 11:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
babajeje123:
I stay at Awoyaya and I know where Ketu is. If If you are out by 5am, you will get a bus going to Obalende at #200. From Obalende to Ketu is #150. That is #350 in the morning. In the evening while coming, from Ketu to Obalende is #150. You can never get a straight bus from Obalende to Awoyaya. So, Obalende to Ajah is #200 and Ajah to Awoyaya is #150 (for car) and #100 for bus (these exclude bike fares). So,

Your transportation will be 1000 per day (excluding feeding)

1000 x 5 day = 5000
5000 x 4 weeks = 20000

So, you will have 30000 left for other things like food, clothes, etc.

I will suggest you take it and be on the look out for better options.
it might not even be upto 5k per week sef wif Saturday and Sunday probably bin excluded 4rm work days depending on d type of job he got. start from somewhere @op, wif time, tinz will fall in place
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by SmartMugu: 11:43pm On Dec 23, 2015
mightyhaze:
my Goodness! 2000k?? shocked grin
2000k sounds like 2 mill on transport fare....lol
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by tunesoft(m): 11:45pm On Dec 23, 2015
Omo...all na Hustle oo, u just gats to start from somewhere...that's all. Forget lagos na hustle arena...u go survive one way or the other....gba. Na mind.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Acidosis(m): 12:04am On Dec 24, 2015
and also get ready to leave home as early as 4am, and don't dream of getting home earlier than 10 or 11Pm at night.

The distance from Alausa to Berger in an average town without senseless traffic would take less than 8 minutes. I recently spent 3hrs 30mins on a journey of 8 minutes or less.

I'm seriously praying for something GREAT that will get me off this place. I hate STRESS, & inconveniences. You can be extremely RICH without spending 15 years of your life in TRAFFIC.

My advice is this: do everything within your power in Akure to get a stable job with the state or federal govt, after a while, invest your money somewhere.

We're in a globalized world where you can sit in your village and control your investments in Lagos. You don't need to run after public buses like an escaped laboratory rat to get rich.
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by tuzle(m): 12:21am On Dec 24, 2015
rationalmind:

Like I said, it doesn't work the way it appears.

Using the bolded part of your message, it used to cost me 200 naira to get to Lekki from iyana-ipaja. It can as well cost me 500 naira. All I need do is to be at my bus stop by 5a.m, take VI, 150 naira, come down at law school then I'll take Lekki 50 naira. On a bad day, I spend 250 naira.

So bro, no one who earns 30K will spend 400 naira to Ikoyi from iyana-ipaja. It's all about knowing how to cut cost.

There will always be a way to cut transportation cost. One just has to figure it out.
sorry to ask wen last did u go from iyana ipaja to vi because yesterday thou it was in the afternoon the price was 700naira but i doubt u can get a bus presently going from iyana ipaja to vi at 150. Even from iyana ipaja to ikeja along presently is 100naira

1 Like

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by JideTheBlogger(m): 12:26am On Dec 24, 2015
50k in 30days with all that stress + targets etc? Na wa ooo.

Thank God for blogging cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by diva90: 12:27am On Dec 24, 2015
Keep the job, it's better than nothing
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by tuzle(m): 12:28am On Dec 24, 2015
teebarbie:
meanwhile I got a 50k job at akure with accommodation but I reside in Lagos. I don't know if I should accept the offer.
if u were really looking for a job u will not be askin for advice

3 Likes

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by wisestman(m): 1:05am On Dec 24, 2015
QSFemi:
Good evening nairalanders. This is my first post on this platform and I enjoined you all to overlook my simplicity. I need your views on the scenario I am about to relate. I have a degree like many other peeps out there, completed nysc july this year and have hitherto been jobless. Well, Like a twist of fate, I got a job just yesterday that will be paying me 50k in Lag. I based in Akure and the job is in Ketu, Lagos. My friend that I can squat with temporarily lives at awoyaya, Ibeju-Lekki lga. Can I survive? What do you think peeps?

I reside in ajah, dis offer is not worth it at all...even when my wife got a job at ikota for 60k , she didnt take talk more of ketu...haba..its not worth it at all at all....the trafiic coming back alone along lekki expressway in the evening coupled with the fact that u will wait for BRT at obalende for almost 2 hours before a bus will show up. trust me its not worth it.....
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:42am On Dec 24, 2015
The lagos goverment should provide free or low paying bus trans. in lag then
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Antina(f): 1:52am On Dec 24, 2015
This is my advice, try rent a house close to ketu. Dnt forget, half bread is better than puff puff
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by Okesilas15: 2:42am On Dec 24, 2015
Nawa o, you will not see ladies advicing you on how to cope with struggling salaries.I know most of their thought right now will be like, God,pls don,t let me meet a guy like that o.Pls Op, take the job ASAP.Some jobs are like struggling to get admission into University when u don,t have much saving other than the admission fee.It is always easier you resume and begin to relate with pple.You might see others whose conditions relate to urs.Meanwhile, try to have some cash along whenever you are going and don,t think of living in a flat or self contain right away,you might not be able to afford it later,unless you are 3 in number who wants to get accommodation together.It would have been better completely if you can get another job in Akure of the same salary,but yes, you can survive just make sure you don,t do more than urself cos everything in lagos is in another league of its own even maintaining a lady in lagos is costlier than some other city in nigeria-just kidding.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by MAYOWAAK: 2:43am On Dec 24, 2015
These are the names of different salaries...

1. Onion Salary – You grab it, you open it, and you cry.

2. Storm Salary – You don’t know when it’s coming or going.

3. Menstrual Salary – It comes once a month and lasts only four days.

4. Magic Salary – You touch it and it disappears.

5. Amnesia Salary – You can’t remember what you spent it on.

6. Time Traveling Salary – You spend it paying various debts even before you collect it.

Which one have you ever experienced?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by ibawon(m): 3:28am On Dec 24, 2015
Freshboi:
If you are sincere with good intentions, you can squat with me. I live around Ketu as well. Call me or send a text
Here is a true brother. Double Blessings for you my Man
Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by ness90(m): 5:19am On Dec 24, 2015
First I congratulate you for getting this job. u are one of the luckiest chaps in Naija. Ask many people, they'll tell u they started off with far less. In my case, I started with 26k and to God be the glory coz today, I don't even know how much I earn.

To ur question, Please take the offer, there is always a way when there is a will!

Since u said u can afford to pay 70k on accommodation now, pls get an accommodation in Ketu or Mile 12. It will cost u far less than 70k to rent a room- well it's gonna be Face me I face u but who cares. You may set a target of one yr for urself to get better accommodation within d vicinity.

With this option, u'll spend max of #200 on transport per day. plus food is very cheap at Ketu/mile 12.

Take it, and just stay focused and like many of us, u'll have a good story to tell.

God bless u

2 Likes

Re: Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos? by micgray100(m): 5:21am On Dec 24, 2015
If you know you Av good intention and would show your face here on Nairaland. I Av a one bedroom self contain you can manage for free till around March ending 2015 when I will be coming back to lag.. Hopefully u would Av saved enough to rent a room compound house in Ketu which is around 70k to 100k. Depending on agreement and agent fee... Call menon 07032728941...

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What You Need to Know About GNLD/Multi Level Marketers Posing as Employers / God Gave Me A New Job In This Recession Period After Losing My Banking Job / Nigeria Customs Service Recruitment 2019 – Final List Of Successful Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.