Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari (39321 Views)

There Are Igbos In Sambisa Forest - Governor Ikpeazu / Hausas Clash With Igbos In Akowa, Imo State - Graphic Photos / We Are Igbos- Dakuku Peterside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 10:44am On Jan 04, 2016
Truckpusher:
That's exactly what I want you to ask - Here is your answer, people with close boundaries can share a lot of cultural attributes and still maintain their original identity and that shouldn't be used as a yardstick to send the next man's identity into oblivion.
By intermarriages,trade and acculturation anyone with such close proximity can adopt names and cultures and over years it will almost look the same and sound the same but with slight differences but his original identity is what matters .Got it ?

So what is your natural identity? The English colonized Nigeria, we adopted some of their culture and way of life but we never lost ours. What is your identity?

2 Likes

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 10:46am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

And to Tonyebarcanista and some Yorubas that were cheering them on that thread

Honey pls stop mentioning that dumbo when talking to me
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 10:47am On Jan 04, 2016
Truckpusher:
Could you please comment without the insults? When it comes to insults I hold the aces - Don't push your luck, bra.

Ok no insults. Apologies
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 10:48am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

Or during riot in the north, he should tell them his name is Obi but he's not Igbo so Hausas can spare him
That's something else entirely my friend.

Aren't we always one when we leave the shores of Africa?

Relax , we are neigbors and we have intermarried for ages that doesn't change the fact that we are different too.
But making a blanket statement as it concerns the entire ethnic group of Rivers State is entirely inappropriate to say the least.
I hope you're aware that most of the cultural attributes and names was as a result of your attempt to embark on internal colonization of these people which backfired during the war?
Yes , there was an attempt in the old Eastern region to colonize the indegenous people of Rivers State - Why were they teaching our grandfathers and fathers Igbo schools and used it as a means of communication in trade ?Was Igbo intelligible to everyone in this region back then before you claim it was part of the old eastern region.
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Udmaster(m): 10:50am On Jan 04, 2016
DiademSh07:

Not all the Egbema lga were carved from River state! The Ogbas and Ndoni are definitely not ibos!
Illiterate.. I said Ndoki of Oyigbo lga and not ndoni.
Reduce the rate you display ur mumulity in public
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 10:51am On Jan 04, 2016
Candyrain:

So what is your natural identity? The English colonized Nigeria, we adopted some of their culture and way of life but we never lost ours. What is your identity?
I'm an Ogba man which is a distinct ethnic group with my own identity just like the Hausa , Yoruba and Igbo man has their own identity .
You get it ?
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Rose2014: 10:54am On Jan 04, 2016
Candyrain:

Honey pls stop mentioning that dumbo when talking to me

I don't remember ever seeing you this angry. I know those guys can be very annoying n insensitive. Same thing with Ugo.mba yesterday or two days ago. He got so upset and I was surprised too hence I gave him palmy to calm him. cheesy

*hugs n kisses him on his forehead to see if that will calm his vex cos this one is too much*

I'm sorry btw

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by DiademSh07: 10:55am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

So now you've even agreed there are Igbos scattered all over

I didn't feel like digging up more previous comments from bullies on this matter. What you just said now is a big improvement from where we started from. We're making progress

Not all over though, just few!
Only the Aniocha/Oshimili in Delta state and Egbema part of Ndoni/Ogba/Egbema lga in River state!
Obigbo's land do not belong to them by the way! Ibo only came to inhabit the area when River was still under the Eastern region!
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by xtropy: 10:55am On Jan 04, 2016
Truckpusher:
That's something else entirely my friend.

Aren't we always one when we leave the shores of Africa?

Relax , we are neigbors and we have intermarried for ages that doesn't change the fact that we are different too.
But making a blanket statement as it concerns the entire ethnic group of Rivers State is entirely inappropriate to say the least.
I hope you're aware that most of the cultural attributes and names was as a result of your attempt to embark on internal colonization of these people which backfired during the war?
Yes , there was an attempt in the old Eastern region to colonize the indegenous people of Rivers State - Why were they teaching our grandfathers and fathers Igbo schools and used it as a means of communication in trade ?Was Igbo intelligible to everyone in this region back then before you claim it was part of the old eastern region.

What an "ijaw" told an Ndoki man:
"A special class of Ijaws were created. As an Ndoki man I was always told that I am 'Ijaw' in Ibo land. With the Amnesty program I was no longer 'Ijaw'. I remember having a conversation with a former President of Ijaw National Congress. He debunked my 'Ijaw' heritage by telling me that I was more Ibo. He explained that for political purposes he could accept me as Ijaw but ‘in the economic sense you are not Ijaw.’ I retorted that I am proud to be Ibo."
 https://www.nairaland.com/2739130/ndoki-ijaw-only-political-purpose---ijaw

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Rose2014: 10:56am On Jan 04, 2016
Candyrain:

Ok no insults. Apologies
I like this kiss kiss
There's a reason u're my buddy

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by ariesbull: 10:56am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

Ugomba n Ikechu1278 are my nl heroes of the year 2015. Two days to the last day of the year, their fight paid off and they're now allowed to exist. So much for bullying mtchew

Ugomba bu ezigbo madu....nice dude ..ikechu us awesome ..always for the truth

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 10:58am On Jan 04, 2016
DiademSh07:

Not all the Egbema lga were carved from River state! The Ogbas and Ndoni are definitely not ibos!

Read and get enlightened

BTW Peter Odili is from Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area

Dr. Peter Odili, And The Ijaw Question

Sometime in June a group calling themselves the "Niger Delta Coastal Guerrilla's" (NDCG) issued several advert's in Nigerian newspapers where they claimed Dr Peter Odili is a "non native" of Rivers state and could not use the South-south ticket for the presidency, just as Olusola Saraki can not use the Northern ticket for the presidency, they insisted that Peter Odili is an Igboman, and threatened that if he get's nominated for the presidency they would blow up the oil wells and make the country ungovernable.

In recent times I have noticed an increasing trend where Ijaw commentators routinely refer to people from the Igbo speaking areas of Rivers State as "non natives". In an article written by SB Tienabeso and forwarded by Sabella Abide titled "Dr. Peter Odili honorary doctorate from lincoln University" published in NVS on the 15th of june,the originator of the article Mr SB Tienabeso also referred to Dr Peter Odili as a non native of Rivers state.

There seems to be an emerging consensus by the Ijaw to brand people from the Igbo speaking areas of Rivers state as non natives. The irony or rather what makes it funny, is that the Ijaw are always quick to exploit the internal divisions within the Igbo nation, to tell us that the Ikwerre's or Etche for example are not Igbo, the obvious fact notwithstanding. The divide and rule game that is being played, is that the Ijaw's claim that the Ikwerre or Ndoni are not Igbo when it suits their political calculations, and remembers they are Igbo when it does not suit their political purpose. This should serve as a lesson to those Rivers Igbo charlatans who make themselves pawns and clowns in the hands of their enemies by denying their identities. When the chips are down they would be reminded by their very enemies that they are Igbo.

The threat being issued by the so called Niger Delta Coastal Guerrilla's against the candidacy of Dr. Peter Odili confirms that there is a subtle ethnic war of supremacy being fought within the Niger Delta. However it is pertinent to note, that such a move coming at this time, that the South-south is struggling to get the presidency is counter productive. The South-south by it's very nature is a conglomerate of different ethnic groups. The only way they can achieve anything within a vastly unjust Nigerian federation is by being united, which was what they demonstrated until recently when some Ijaw militant groups introduced a divisive ethnic dimension into the South-south struggle for the presidency.

I have tried to understand the reason why the Ijaw continues to see Ndigbo as a threat. Various historical researches have not thrown up even one instance where the Igbo ever had any armed conflict with the Ijaw, inspite of having been neighbours for thousand's of years long before there was any such place as Nigeria. Anybody who visits Bonny or Opobo would be surprised to see how intertwined Ndigbo and Ndijaw are. Opobo itself was founded by an Igbo slave "King Jaja of Opobo". These towns are predominantly Ijaw towns, but because of massive intermarriage between Ijaw's and Igbo's, spanning several generations, Igbo has become one of the languages spoken in these towns. Inspite of this mix and integration, the Ijaw as exemplified by the stand of the militants on Odili's candidacy and several other commentaries, have continued to show great animosity towards Ndigbo.

The abandoned property robbery in Port-Harcourt (technically Igboland) was one area where Ndigbo was stabbed in the back by their Ijaw neighbours, having disenfranchised the Ikwerre.Aided by federal might in the aftermath of the civil war. Since then successive Ijaw Governors of Rivers state have waged a relentless war of cultural genocide on Ndigbo, all the Igbo street names were changed.Umuigbo became Rumuigbo etc, even Obigbo a core Igbo oil producing town that was formerly part of Aba province was annexed to Rivers state, and the Ijaw Governor of Rivers state Chief Melford Okilo changed the name from Obigbo to Oyigbo in a bid to de-Igbonise the town. Inspite of this monumental assault on Ndigbo by the Ijaw who readily and gleefully took opportunistic advantage of the aftermath of the civil war to stab Ndigbo in the back, most Igbo including the leadership have moved on.

Igbo leaders have realised that with or without Nigeria the Ijaw,will continue to be our neighbours as it is not humanly possible to move boundaries. Our destinies are inextricably linked. This has informed the reason why Ndigbo have continued to remain in the forefront of the struggle for resource control which directly affects the Ijaw. In the "National Political reforms conference" only Ndigbo stood with the South-south 100% on the question of resource control.

I believe it is time for a paradigm shift in Igbo, Ijaw relations. The divisive advert by the Niger Delta militants on Odili's candidacy should be condemned by Ijaw leaders, and the recent phenomenon of tagging Igbo speaking indigenes of Rivers state "non natives" should be nipped in the bud and discontinued forthwith. We do not want the kind of crisis that erupted between the Ijaw and Itshekiri to repeat itself in Rivers state. Truth is, inspite of the politically induced identity crisis plaguing some Rivers Igbo, anybody who attacks them will have to contend with the whole Igbo nation.Ndigbo will not tolerate any attack on any Rivers or Delta Igbo in the East, or South-south, such an attack is at best a suicidal move by whichever group initiates it.

Southern Nigeria is too divided, and that is why the North has dominated power to the detriment of Southern Nigerians who are clearly more educated, more talented, and more creative. Until the day Ndigbo, Ndi-Edo, Ndi-Yoruba, Ndi-Efik, Ndijaw, Ndi-Urhobo, Ndisoko, Ndi-Annang, Ndibibio, Ndi-Itshekiri, realise that we are all brothers and sisters from Southern Nigeria, who would have remained Southern Nigerians if not for the criminal amalgamation of 1914, and begin to work together for the political control of our destiny, we will continue to be slaves and underdogs to the Northerners. As the South-south and South-east continues the struggle to keep power in the South beyond Obasanjo's presidency, there is no way it can be achieved without Southern unity. If such ethnically divisive adverts by the Ijaw militants are allowed to continued, it will drive a wedge between the South, and pave the way for the North to return to power with all the negative consequences. A word is enough for the wise!

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/dr-peter-odili-and-the-ijaw-question.html
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Rose2014: 10:58am On Jan 04, 2016
DiademSh07:

Not all over though, just few!
Only the Aniocha/Oshimili in Delta state and Egbema part of Ndoni/Ogba/Egbema lga in River state!
Obigbo's land do not belong to them by the way! Ibo only came to inhabit the area when River was still under the Eastern region!

We've gone from none to being present in two states and you're saying my job is not done??
I'm not greedy na cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by DiademSh07: 11:02am On Jan 04, 2016
Udmaster:
Illiterate.. I said Ndoki of Oyigbo lga and not ndoni.
Reduce the rate you display ur mumulity in public
LOL!
I didn't state Ndoki because that was never intended!
What I mean is that Egbema can't say all the Egbema/Ogba/Ndoni lga are theirs! The fact that Egbema little area was carved into River state doesn't make the whole lga theirs! Get it!
Obigbo is a different case on its own!
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Rose2014: 11:02am On Jan 04, 2016
Candyrain:

Read and get enlightened

BTW Peter Odili is from Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area

Don't mind the him
They know but prefer being mischievous
Mtchew

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 11:02am On Jan 04, 2016
Truckpusher:
I'm an Ogba man which is a distinct ethnic group with my own identity just like the Hausa , Yoruba and Igbo man has their own identity .
You get it ?

Seriously is this all you can muster?
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 11:04am On Jan 04, 2016
xtropy:

What an "ijaw" told an Ndoki man:
"A special class of Ijaws were created. As an Ndoki man I was always told that I am 'Ijaw' in Ibo land. With the Amnesty program I was no longer 'Ijaw'. I remember having a conversation with a former President of Ijaw National Congress. He debunked my 'Ijaw' heritage by telling me that I was more Ibo. He explained that for political purposes he could accept me as Ijaw but ‘in the economic sense you are not Ijaw.’ I retorted that I am proud to be Ibo."
 https://www.nairaland.com/2739130/ndoki-ijaw-only-political-purpose---ijaw
I never said that the Ijaws were saints but we can contain their madness if push comes to shove , the same thing can't be said for a major ethnic group.
We know what we doing - We also saw such negative side from Edwin Clark when Odili was supposedly called upon to run along side with Yaradua. The reasonable Ijaws among them wouldn't try that shiit and as for the amnesty . You'll have to be a criminal or bear arms to accept that amnesty.
Whoever that is crying over amnesty shouldn't be taken serious - They are the ones that destroyed the Niger Delta , they are all lazy bunch of crooks and I have no pity for them.
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Rose2014: 11:05am On Jan 04, 2016
Candyrain:

I was about asking the same question cheesy

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 11:06am On Jan 04, 2016
Candyrain:

Of course you'll believe me the moment I shout 'I'm Igbo please forgive me ' smh.
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Udmaster(m): 11:07am On Jan 04, 2016
DiademSh07:

LOL!
I didn't state Ndoki because that was never intended!
What I mean is that Egbema can't say all the Egbema/Ogba/Ndoni are theirs! The fact Egbema little area was carved into River state doesn't make the whole lga theirs! Get it!
Obigbo is a different case on its own!
that Egbema area that was carved into Rivers will be returned to Imo State.
- Ndioki(ndoki) of Oyigbo lga will be returned to Abia State because they were carved out of Old Aba and they are part of Ukwa Ngwa family.
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by DiademSh07: 11:08am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

We've gone from none to being present in two states and you're saying my job is not done??
I'm not greedy na cheesy
What you don't get is no one has ever disputed Aniocha/Oshimli being ibos! Same way people has acknowledged there's a boundary dispute in all most every state, just like how Igala's land is in Anambra! But that doesn't mean the whole state becomes ibos like some lunatic have been saying!
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Rose2014: 11:10am On Jan 04, 2016
Truckpusher:
Of course you'll believe me the moment I shout 'I'm Igbo please forgive me ' smh.
I really don't care about those that don't to identify with Igbos. I care about those that want to but are being bullied to believe they don't exist

2 Likes

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Rose2014: 11:11am On Jan 04, 2016
DiademSh07:

What you don't get is no one has ever disputed Aniocha/Oshimli being ibos! Same way people has acknowledged there's a boundary dispute in all most every state, just like how Igala's land is in Anambra! But that doesn't mean the whole state becomes ibos like some lunatic have been saying!

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by DiademSh07: 11:14am On Jan 04, 2016
Udmaster:
that Egbema area that was carved into Rivers will be returned to Imo State.
- Ndioki(ndoki) of Oyigbo lga will be returned to Abia State because they were carved out of Old Aba and they are part of Ukwa Ngwa family.
That also means igala lands in Anambra and other non ibos land in Ebonyi and Enugu should also be returned!
That said, Obigbo's land do not belongs to them by the way! ibos coming to inhabit the area when Rivers were still under the eastern region doesn't make it theirs!
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 11:15am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

I really don't care about those that don't to identify with Igbos. I care about those that want to but are being bullied to believe they don't exist
Your list was very long before but when we spoke out and told you the general mindset, your folks around here resorted to all manner of insults and derogatory comments .I thank God you've reduced your list to few villages in Rivers State and some communities in Delta State.
Thank you for your understanding , now let's live in peace .
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Udmaster(m): 11:18am On Jan 04, 2016
DiademSh07:

That also means igala lands in Anambra and other non ibos land in Ebonyi and Enugu should also be returned!
That said, Obigbo's land do not belongs to them by the way! ibos coming to inhabit the area when Rivers were still under the eastern region doesn't make it theirs!
what kind of slowpoke is this? Ok who own oyigbo land?
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 11:18am On Jan 04, 2016
Truckpusher:

I can tell you a million things that distinguished me from the yoruba or hausa/fulani man. from the Ijaw or Benin man.
So once again is that all you can muster?

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 11:20am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

I don't remember ever seeing you this angry. I know those guys can be very annoying n insensitive. Same thing with Ugo.mba yesterday or two days ago. He got so upset and I was surprised too hence I gave him palmy to calm him. cheesy

*hugs n kisses him on his forehead to see if that will calm his vex cos this one is too much*

I'm sorry btw

These guys have really gone too far with this thing and they need to be put in their place

1 Like

Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 11:21am On Jan 04, 2016
DiademSh07:

Thank you very much for enlightening these folks once again. grin

Initially they said Etche , Ogba , Ekpeye, Bonny , Opobo , Omuma, Ikwerre et al are all Igbos , some them registered with a new handle and claim to be coming from these places like Chiwude is claiming he is from Ogba .
I don't usually have time for threads of this nature but when I noticed how they've been bullying HopeAthand allover the forum for saying that Ikwerres are not Igbos that was when I had to say it the way it is.
We all can work together after all we run with the same ideology but trying to hide my own identity to be accepted by some few fellows that won't make any difference in my life is something I can never do.
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by xtropy: 11:22am On Jan 04, 2016
Truckpusher:
I never said that the Ijaws were saints but we can contain their madness if push comes to shove , the same thing can't be said for a major ethnic group.
We know what we doing - We also saw such negative side from Edwin Clark when Odili was supposedly called upon to run along side with Yaradua. The reasonable Ijaws among them wouldn't try that shiit and as for the amnesty . You'll have to be a criminal or bear arms to accept that amnesty.
Whoever that is crying over amnesty shouldn't be taken serious - They are the ones that destroyed the Niger Delta , they are all lazy bunch of crooks and I have no pity for them.

Lagos — Complaints of marginalisation have resurrected an age-old agitation by the people of Oyigbo local government in Rivers State for a merger with their kith and kin in Abia State.

There is a grounds- well of discontent and agitation in Oyigbo local government area of Rivers State. The people are seriously complaining of marginalisation in the affairs of the state and now want to go back to Abia State from where they were carved out in 1976. Oyigbo local government was merged with Rivers State following federal government's acceptance of the report of the Justice Mamman Nasir boundary adjustment commission. Besides, they insist that they are Igbo and would be better catered for in a predominant Igbo territory. The people, under the aegis of Asa-Ndoki-Obigbo League, ANOL, have petitioned President Olusegun Obasanjo, alleging denial of social amenities such as electricity, pipe-borne water, motorable roads and hospital, among others. "Since we have been denied everything due to us, we must go back to our kith and kin in Abia State", they wrote in a petition dated February 18, 2000 and signed by Stanley Akaya and Johnson Ezenma, president and secretary-general respectively. In the petition, ANOL gave 17 reasons why the people want to go back to Abia State.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200008290349.html

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etche

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anioma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyigbo
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Truckpusher(m): 11:23am On Jan 04, 2016
Candyrain:

I can tell you a million things that distinguished me from the yoruba or hausa/fulani man. from the Ijaw or Benin man.
So once again is that all you can muster?
Everyone can do that but what I've given you is what is needed to wake you up from your dreamland.

Good morning
Re: There Are Igbos In South South- Buhari by Candyrain(m): 11:23am On Jan 04, 2016
Rose2014:

I like this kiss kiss
There's a reason u're my buddy

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply)

Kenneth Omeruo Presents Signed Jersey To President Buhari In Spain (Pix, Video) / Fashola, Dangote And Amosun Commission Itori-Ibeshe Road / Breakdown Of Result Of Ekiti Gubernatorial Election By LGA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.