Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,617 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship (16967 Views)

Help Help Facebook Is Ruining My Relationship / Is Bad Breath Ruining Your Sex Life? / 4 Ways On How You Can Ask Your Man Or Boyfriend For Money Without Him... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
“SOCIAL MEDIA HAS RUINED MY RELATIONSHIP!”

That’s the cry of many people today! But my response is this: social media didn’t ruin your relationship he, she, or BOTH of you may have played a part in the ruining of your relationship.

Let’s back up and come to an agreement: social media is here and it probably isn’t going anywhere. So, we have to address this issue head on. It is definitely possible for your relationship and (insert social media type here!) to happily co-exist. Here are 4 ways to keep social media from ruining your relationship:

1) Stop Being “Single” Online but “In a Relationship” in Real Life:

Let’s be honest. For many people, social media is another form of online dating. With that said, people need to know very clearly that you are involved with someone. I get the whole argument, “people don’t need to be in my business.” But, guess what? You made it peoples’ business when you decided to get that account and create a username.

People might not need to know the ins and outs of your relationship. But they should at LEAST know you are married or in a relationship so that the lines don’t get blurred or any false messages are sent out. I can’t tell you the amount of times I hear people complain, “ I didn’t know they were married until it was too late.” (“Too late” usually means feelings have developed).

Social Media and Relationships

It’s your job, as a mate, to make sure it is clear to others that you aren’t open to anyone else and you are spoken for.

Being transparent will hopefully hold people to a higher standard of how they decide to communicate with you. This won’t stop everyone from pursuing you, but you have to care enough about your mate and your relationship to stop certain behavior before it starts. People may message you privately to get a feel for your willingness to be “more than friends” with them. But, this needs to be nipped in the bud by you, and it needs to happen immediately!

2) Don’t Believe Your Own Hype

You know, sometimes social media is a platform for people to subliminally tell you everything you want to hear. Between “likes,” “winks,” “pokes” and private messages, people will woo you all day and, naturally, you’ll start to like it. Suddenly, you may find yourself flattered because your Facebook “friends” may be showing you the attention that your partner hasn’t been showing you. It’s at this point that you must CHECK yourself!

This means it’s time to start communicating your needs to your partner instead of falling into the Facebook trap of that ex from back in the day, or that person you always had a crush on in college. You can’t glorify an Internet relationship over your “real-life” relationship and you can’t hold them to the same standard. So often, I see how the “harmless flirting” online turns into lunch in-person, and then into an affair that leads to a divorce or a break-up. The person online has probably pulled the same trick with their other 100 friends or followers. So, get back into communicating with your mate.

3) Stop It with the Sneaky Stuff

I’m not saying that your mate needs to know all of your passwords to everything. But, I am saying it will look very suspicious and make them very uncomfortable if you are uncomfortable with them seeing your pages or interactions. If you are uneasy every time they come around or if you close out of your pages when your mate enters the room or takes a look over your shoulder, then something isn’t right. If you are sweating bullets because you left your page up and your spouse is the next person on the computer, then you will look GUILTY!

When you are able to be completely open, your mate will feel more comfortable about you and your relationship with social media. This is not to say they don’t trust you, but it is to say that everyone has some level of curiosity and hiding things only makes for unnecessary tension and concern. Additionally, when you are open, you think twice about the things, whether innocent or not, that could be misinterpreted or seen as disrespectful. It makes you more cognizant and also you gain a level of peace in your relationship.

4) You Must Have Some Limitations

I’ll admit it. I’ve been guilty at times of being so engulfed in social media for my business that I forget that my wife, at home, needs the same kind of attention. Social media is so accessible we don’t realize the amount of time we spend on it. Furthermore, we don’t see how much it bothers our mates to have to compete with it.

Place some limitations on yourself. For instance, after a certain time, you unplug. No electronics during dinner or during dates. Whatever you have to do, try to do it so your mate knows he or she is most important to you in the time you all spend together instead of the online friends we spend so much time keeping up with. It may take some self-reflection and some strategic planning (especially if you use it for business), but it will be worth it for you and your relationship.

Remember, your mate wants nothing more than to be able to trust you 100%, even beyond the screens of social media and the Internet. Remember that when those cyber friends are gone, your mate is the one who is actually going to be there in person, where it matters most. Don’t allow social media to ruin your relationship.

Secretario

34 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Erukumakanaki: 3:14pm On Jan 04, 2016
#2weeks grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
undecided
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by DuchessLily(f): 3:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nice write up. So on point!

Social media is here to make life, communication and business easier, but some people decided to use it to destroy their homes and relationships . NOBODY SHOULD BLAME Social media , its what u decided to do with d social media that destroyed ur relationship .

Some married men/women join some chat sites just to look for pple to commit adultery with, some in serious relationships go to look for other baggages to add to their serious relationships... So how won't there be problems??

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 04, 2016
undecided undecided
we all know this undecided
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jan 04, 2016
Diddyydiva:
undecided undecided

we all know this undecided

Then leave for those who do not know!

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Op, this is a nice write up. I am so guilty of this. Time to start afresh..
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
Secretario:

Then leave for those who do not know!
and I guess you are one of them undecided
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by mzvyne(f): 3:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
cry
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
Diddyydiva:
and I guess you are one of them undecided

YES, I am actually their leader.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
NL is one of the marriage breaking social media. Someone would ask 4 advice and get jests, bashings and confusing advices just becus of 'likes and shares'. Only 10% of d contributions usually make sense.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
Secretario:

YES, I am actually their leader.
okay!! undecided

please don't read alone but put it into practice smiley

I hope you are not ignorant of that too undecided

bye undecided
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by englishmart(m): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
your real name is chinazaramekpere uzochibuuzondu
And your BB display name is pretydiva, sorry o. Your relationshipdoesnt look like something that will last

5 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by mifavour(f): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
number one is rubbish

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by AmakaDNB(f): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
Some relationships are just too fragile. If it's not social media, then it's a friend's gossip.
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by CrownPrinceMJ(m): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
OK
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by BiggerBangs: 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
grin

hmm...My phone password is inaccessible by strangers

[size=20pt]Egbon OP if na my Phone you want..come and take it,thank you[/size] [size=16pt](Don Jazzy's Voice)[/size]

[size=16pt]BiggerBangs is Here[/size]

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by missKiffy(f): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
Social Media cant even ruin my relationship
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by osaslord500(m): 4:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
Addicted
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Swaggzkid: 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
Number 5.

Always try to always leave all trashy trash for Lawma

Don't go through the stress of trying to..... you know Na.•°°•. Just LeaveTrashForLawma
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by walanter(m): 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
And stop woeing nairalander girls....dey jus fictional

3 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by PietroRico(m): 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
Hmm
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Lilimax(f): 4:52pm On Jan 04, 2016
In as much we have numerous benefits from social media, there are still lots of
demerits associated with it.
Moderation should be the watchword!.

Learn to know when to keep off embarassed
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by TOEZOFFICIAL(m): 4:53pm On Jan 04, 2016
ok. we don learn...Next pls..,
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
[size=15pt] angry ALWAYS SAD sad[/size]
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by RexKexMilann: 4:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nice One.
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by Genycharl(f): 4:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nice writeup. I just hope people will learn
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by miqos02(m): 4:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
ok
Re: 4 Ways To Keep Social Media From Ruining Your Relationship by ronald4lif(m): 4:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Best relationship piece I've read this year. Respect!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The End Of A Brave Journey - Kinginvahala / Angry Man Caught His Wife Having S3x With Another Man – WATCH What He Did / April Born Lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.