Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,088 members, 7,867,139 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:14 AM

The Forgotten Four - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Forgotten Four (5437 Views)

The Forgotten Army Of WWII / The Forgotten Army Of WWII: West Africa’s Soldiers In Burma / Fajuyi- The Forgotten Nigerian Hero (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Forgotten Four by ow11(m): 2:33pm On Jun 21, 2009
Back to the issue . . . .

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htF5XElMyGI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/flash]

I would have thought the families of the Ogoni 4 would have gone to court to let them know that the military tribunal was indeed correct in finding Mr Wiwa guilty. There are some more exhibits against shell on here.
Re: The Forgotten Four by naijaking1: 3:53pm On Jun 21, 2009
ow11:

Back to the issue . . . .
I would have thought the families of the Ogoni 4 would have gone to court to let them know that the military tribunal was indeed correct in finding Mr Wiwa guilty. There are some more exhibits against shell on here.
Please don't forget that there're 3 types of justice: religious, legal, and natural. People who are unable to muster a court challange are invariably unable to obtain legal justice such as the Saro Wiwa family has done from Shell.

However, for the family of the forgotten 4 that are unable to mount a legal challange, it doesn't mean that their natural and even religious justice should be denied, just because no court has been persuaded to by them yet.

You have to give to the Saro Wiwa camp, they have good PR, command of the English, and they have access to International media.

All said, it does not mean the struggle of the Ogoni people, Niger Delta, or eastern Nigeria started in 1993. Your video shows nothing about the ugly history of the area.

It's a PR masterstroke for Wiwa group to attack Shell and not the Federal Government that actually provided soldiers to support and protect Shell, and the party that's actually responsible for sending Wiwa to the gallos.
This is also the federal government that gave Ken Saro Wiwa plum government appointments, 3 abandoned properties, and other incentives to make him sell his soul into betraying his brothers in eastern Nigeria.

No matter the ingenuity of the Ken Saro Wiwa PR machinery, the truth will be told at last, and that is that Ken Saro Wiwa was no angel, but an opportunistic political parasite who answered to karma embarassed
Re: The Forgotten Four by naijaking1: 4:20pm On Jun 21, 2009
This just an update from today's newspaper--Vanguard.
http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

[size=16pt]OGONI NINE: ‘Shell’s compensation can cause friction in future’[/size]Politics Jun 18, 2009 By Jimitota Onoyume

FIRST son of late Albert Badey, one of the four prominent Ogoni  chiefs that were killed in Giokoo, Gokana local government area on May 21st, 1994, Mr. Swaga Alex Badey, in this interview with Vanguard described the recent decision by Shell to pay compensation to families of late Ken Saro Wiwa and the other eight that were hung as sad and divisive. Instead of compensation, he said,  Shell should have shown sincere resolve to address the devastation and degradation caused by its operations in Ogoni land.

He observed that the environmental pollution and pain brought about by the operations of the oil giant in Ogoni area culminated in the birth of MOSOP which later had a leadership crisis that finally consumed his father, three others, and later the Ogoni nine.

He lamented that the family has been living with the agony of not seeing the corpses of the father and the other chiefs, fifteen years after they were murdered. According to him, the media only opted to play up the stories of the late Ken Saro Wiwa because he was a writer and by extension a journalist. Excerpts:

What has it been like in your family circle since the brutal murder of your father and three others in the last fifteen years?

Late Ken Saro-Wiwa
If I cast my mind back to May 21st 1994, just like what I read in the Times magazine, Michael Eliot described it as an unsettled issue. Particularly when you are not sure of event that is so tangible. Since May 21st 1994 till now it’s painful that we have not seen the corpses of my father and the other three chiefs.

I remember Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP) under Ken Sarowiwa introduced violence in the later part of the struggle which culminated in the death of my father and three others. Ledum Mitee later became president of MOSOP; he severally called on the government to bring the remains of the Ogoni nine. My question to Ledum and to MOSOP is why have they never thought of the remains of the four?

Is it that they are not human beings? They deserved to die?  Were they not Ogoni patriots? These questions need to be answered. Most times everything about the four is down played for reasons best known to them. My analysis is that the media has ostracized the four because Ken Sarowiwa was a writer, a journalist by extension. And so he enjoyed the sympathy of the media.

That in my thinking is not too fair on the part of the media. They should be objective and see the other side of the story.  We have gone through serious challenges. Our mums are faced with this trauma all the time

The recent payment by Shell to the Ogoni nine has just re awaken the entire episode because most of us, I in particular,  want to let the world know that we don’t believe in money.

We are not interested in any monetary gratification or payment from Shell or even the government because there is no amount of money you will give to us that will bring our fathers back to life. This brings us to the moral questions of why did the Ogoni nine accept such compensation. I hear Ledum Mitee hailing the payment, I heard Ken Junior saying the same thing. My question is, is that enough?

These men died, we don’t want to go into the nitty gritty of how they were killed. These men died for the cause of Ogoni land because they wanted to bring change to the place, to be completely cleaned up the land, get our children good education, give the elderly good health care, and raise the standard of living of the people.

These were what our fathers asked for. And I think that any right thinking Ogoni person should have looked at these issues if an opportunity came for them to negotiate out of court. What I think they should have done was to look at the larger picture, the Ogoni question which  would have ensured that the issue did not just end with Shell thinking about payment for the victims of the crisis. But more importantly they should be looking at how it affect the entire people.

Were the families of Ogoni Four parties to the suit in New York ?

We were not part of those that want to court but we heard of it. There was a mock reconciliatory move. We had thought it was time to put the past behind and work for the future. When this Ogoni Nine thing came up in New York  i.e. a case against Shell, we had expected that Ken jnr, the leader of the team should have recognized that other people were also murdered in this crisis. So presenting a case like that you should have shown the pains of the Ogonis from all angles. Coming back to your question, it was just Ken jnr and the other Ogoni nine.

Did you make any overtures to them while the case was on?

We just decided to watch.

Since you were not party to the case do you think you have any moral justification to condemn the Shell monetary compensation?

Well, yes. I am not saying I am interested in the money. But I am disappointed not just in the family of the Ogoni nine being represented by the Wiwa family but more importantly I am disappointed in Shell, particularly because they know what happened in Ogoni.

And they should be better informed to know how to go about such an issue. The bottom line is that it was not a decent negotiation.

Do you have any peace of advice for Shell?

Shell should realize  the pains they caused  Ogoni. They should be very objective in all they do.  You don’t say you are paying people. How much can you pay? What we need in Ogoni is human and capital development.

If Shell has taken oil from us for about thirty years. And they did not put in anything then they should put enough in the area as compensation. . They should come up with a road map that will not bring friction in the future.

What is your comment on the crisis in MOSOP?

As far as I am concerned Ledum Mitee has not been a true leader for the Ogoni people. Leadership comes up with a lot of responsibility. They seem to have forgotten the collective interest.

I cast my mind back to when my father was told not to accept government appointment or else NYCOP and MOSOP will burn his house. But I have lived to see Ledum nominated his brother for appointment in Rivers State government as a Senior Special Adviser to the governor and he is also part of MOSOP. You can see a lot of insincerity.

In your own view what is the way forward in MOSOP

There should be a  proper election. Since the formation of the group there has never been any election.
Re: The Forgotten Four by Dede1(m): 10:42pm On Jun 21, 2009
ow11:

May be we should ask Shell why they decided to pay out rather than allow the case to go on and prove their innocence and Mr Wiwa's guilt in the murder of the Ogoni 4?

If you want to dwell on activities of politically-correct court in New York, USA that had entertained the idea of hearing a case which it does not have jurisdiction, I say knockout yourself with your findings. The courts that matter in the case have long given their verdicts and Ken and fellow nine culprits were found guilty as charged.

I know for facts that Ken Saro-Wiwa was an ingrate who has done nothing tangible with his sorry life other than proffering treacherous machination to reap where he did not sow. If Ken Saro-wiwa was credible, he would have rejected the Shell-BP scholarship that saw him through the secondary and university educations. Ken Saro-wiwa master-minded the killing of the four Ogoni chiefs because of the leadership tussles within MOSOP.

I am only disappointed in the stupid action of Shell-BP by agreeing to payoff the families of Ken and nine that were hung with him instead of putting the money in venture that would have benefited entire Ogoni people. This is a classical example of divide and rule.
Re: The Forgotten Four by naijaking1: 4:55pm On Jun 22, 2009
Dede1:

If you want to dwell on activities of politically-correct court in New York, USA that had entertained the idea of hearing a case which it does not have jurisdiction, I say knockout yourself with your findings. The courts that matter in the case have long given their verdicts and Ken and fellow nine culprits were found guilty as charged.

I know for facts that Ken Saro-Wiwa was an ingrate who has done nothing tangible with his sorry life other than proffering treacherous machination to reap where he did not sow. If Ken Saro-wiwa was credible, he would have rejected the Shell-BP scholarship that saw him through the secondary and university educations. Ken Saro-wiwa master-minded the killing of the four Ogoni chiefs because of the leadership tussles within MOSOP.

I am only disappointed in the stupid action of Shell-BP by agreeing to payoff the families of Ken and nine that were hung with him instead of putting the money in venture that would have benefited entire Ogoni people. This is a classical example of divide and rule.

Shell, like any corporation wants to make profit, and brushing up its PR image via this compensation is just one of those tactis.
Ken Saro Wiwa proudly said he betrayed Biafra, but he was convicted of complicity in killing his fellow Ogoni men who he believed was betraying Ogonis----how ironic

Once again, the family of the forgotten 4 should go after the ill-gotten $15 million paid to the Ken Saro Wiwa estate
Re: The Forgotten Four by ow11(m): 5:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
@Dede1

I think some of the cash was set aside for a trust fund that will assist people in the Ogoni kingdom. Although one would expect that most of it should have been used instead of the $5million.

@naijaking1

Apparently, one of the children of the slain chiefs on behalf of his family is seemingly uninterested in the Shell largesse and have decided to write a rejoinder in the Guardian of today. I was able to glean from his write up that his family is willing to put the sad event behind and move on. All in all, he seemed to point fingers at Shell as the main culprit behind the entire fiasco. You can read it up [url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=220609&ptitle=For%20the%20Ogoni%20Four]here[/url].

Also, it is my personal opinion that the family members of the Ogoni 4 should have gone to court with the Ogoni 10 rather than watch from the sidelines because their loss is a direct result of activities of Shell in their land.
Re: The Forgotten Four by naijaking1: 6:24pm On Jun 22, 2009
@Ow11
Shell this Shell that shocked
Despite not being convicted in any court of law, Shell has settled. Let's refocus on the people who own the land, and would stay in the area after Shell has come and gone.
Bottom line= Shell did not act in isolation. Their compatriots in local, state and federal government authorities are still there.
Re: The Forgotten Four by otokx(m): 3:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
Where are the bodies of the Ogoni 4?
Re: The Forgotten Four by Nezan(m): 3:49pm On Jun 23, 2009
This saga will never end. I weep 4 Naija cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: The Forgotten Four by naijaking1: 6:02pm On Jun 24, 2009
We all do embarassed
Re: The Forgotten Four by ow11(m): 8:53pm On Jun 24, 2009
otokx:

Where are the bodies of the Ogoni 4?

Reports confirmed the bodies were dismembered and burnt but rumour has it that they were eaten. It was a popular story in the 90s just like the story of cannibalism amongst fighters during the numerous inter-tribal clashes that was prevalent in RV state in the early to mid-90s (especially the Ogoni/Okrika battle).
Re: The Forgotten Four by naijaking1: 3:33pm On Jun 26, 2009
ow11:

Reports confirmed the bodies were dismembered and burnt but rumour has it that they were eaten. It was a popular story in the 90s just like the story of cannibalism amongst fighters during the numerous inter-tribal clashes that was prevalent in RV state in the early to mid-90s (especially the Ogoni/Okrika battle).
Apart from acquired taste, is there any other reason for people to practice cannibalism in 1990s?
Gruesome, Disgusting, and Nauseating embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mend Again! Warns Of Another Abuja Bomb Blast / Army Kills 8 Boko Haram Members In Kano Raid. / Ekiti Wins ICT State Govt Of The Year Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.