Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,719 members, 7,831,281 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle (80477 Views)

When Whistle-Blowing Is More Lucrative Than Being A Governor (Hilarious Photos) / Nigerian Soldiers Remove Bombs From Damaturu-biu Road / We Are Shock That Kaduna Gov. Has Stop Feeding Muslim In Ramadan - Sheikh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by King44(m): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2016
Since the Islamic clerics are non willing to speak against disguised suicide bombing and the act of terrorism in general, It does not make any sense if they refer to such proposal as an act of oppression I will gladly support such bill if it's being passed simply because they had failed to shield the image of their religion but not withstanding such idea is unwise cos it could lead to another form of conflict and social unrest.... Shikena!!

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by INTROVERT(f): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Ur post has not even an ounce of intelligence! It so obviously reek of bias! Think of sometin else to post, pls.

I get miffed when people criticize other people"s opinions without offering a superior one.....

Btw... that food on your profile is yummy yummiciois

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by ademoladeji(m): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Just as the car is useful to users of motor vehicle, so is the hijab useful to its wearers. Saying 80% of suicide bombers are on hijab doesn't prove that the ban of hijab will end terrorism/suicide bombing. It also does not prove that hijab aid suicide bombing.

As for cars, the Abuja Police Headquarter suicide bombing(2012) was done with a car. The UN bombing also with a car. The recent Iyanya bombing in Abuja was also with a car. The bombs are transported through cars and other vehicles. Boko Haram move around with cars. So should usage of cars be banned?

Chai! First time I'm gonna second your point! Weldon weldon weldon! You've gat that bro

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by queebeediva(f): 11:35am On Jan 10, 2016
Even the Arab doesn't wear hjab the way nigerians does . I mean, you need to see how some abuses the hjab by rubbing it on the floor because of it lenght . Haba let's be senseable by doing things moderatly and accurately.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by jomoh: 11:36am On Jan 10, 2016
aribisala0:
Happy New Year,

Firstly let me address the banning of Hijab and purported reasons

We are facing significant security challenges and we live in a CCTV era. CCTV allows us to identify perpetrators of crime and their accomplices not only from direct footage of actual crimes but historical footage can tell us who their associates are. The corollary is privacy in general. Many nations ban or seek to ban any means of communication that government cannot control (The equivalent of an electronic veil would be the argument of the constitutional right to PRIVACY Countered of course by security and public safety) Government wants to be able to read emails and listen to phone calls etc

Banning the hijab will NOT stop the crime necessarily but it will help in solving it afterwards especially as increasing areas of public space are covered. We will know where they came from which cars they alighted from and who they talked to etc.

People need to think deeply before making specious arguments and then feeling smug that they have make a Socratic revelation.
There is no parallel with banning a car . Why does government ban guns or control access.Why not let everyone have one and say only bad people commit crimes with them and bad people will find a way to get them whether banned or not. Government has tactical powers to ban cars anyway and it is a matter of judgment what to ban and when whether it be okada,hijab,wearing of camouflage etc.

However the ban should be on ANYTHING that conceals the face of an individual in a public space. If a crime is committed by any person ,the public should be able to identify them afterwards. It may well be that someone recognizes them in public before they commit their deeds

To those talking about the Quran. Please cite the Sura from the Quran where this is written . There is NO SUCH THING. Does the WORD Hijab appear in the Quran AT ALL? No NOT ONCE

Rather there is an interpretation of words which people can and have interpreted differently across different places. Many Muslims have never read the Quran directly or just repeat what they are told.

Anyway the veil which was removed by the soldiers is NOT Hijab

The Hijab is an Arabic costume and not a Muslim one

Iran Tunisia and Turkey are Muslim countries that banned the Hijab in public (Turkey lifted ban recently) and the skies did not fall .

There is no mention of Hijab anywhere in the Quran

Does these words appear in the Original Bible.

Christian
Church
Pastor
Reverend
Pope

Don't comment on things you don't know about. It will make you look like a bigot even if you were not.

4 Likes

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by INTROVERT(f): 11:36am On Jan 10, 2016
lastborn0101:

tank God u said to ur little usderstanding, but nevertheless, u dont still av any undderstanding not to talk of little... who told u hajab is a borrowed culture? where did u read dat? pls tels know.... hijab is critically decreed in d Quran nd sunnah upon all female muslims. der was a way d arabs dress before d verses of hijab.... hijab is part of Islam coz we muslims dont do anything except we see a correct evidence

hahahahahahahaha... lol, very funny. Thanks.
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by shermx: 11:37am On Jan 10, 2016
What has been confusing me is that why hijab? on the 25th on Dec 2015 a suicide bomber disguised as a woman was caught in Gombe trying to enter a church.. is he wearing a hijab?
No...
How many terrorists are using military uniforms to carry out there deadly attacks?
Why not ban military from wearing uniforms??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by yetunsbay(m): 11:37am On Jan 10, 2016
leke12:
Ban it!
leke u fall my hand big time
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Otapipia: 11:37am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Well, it is against the right of wearers of hijab to ban their veil. It is an established fact that the hijab is worn through the personal choice of the wearer even if it is religiously influenced. As such, it falls under the right to personal liberty. Hijab can't be banned except the government can prove that their is a correlation between Hijab and suicide bombing...this will be pretty difficult.

So in your jaundiced opinion, there is no correlation between hijab and suicide bombing in Nigeria?. For reasons bordering on crime, some states have banned the use of Okada. When people hide under the garb of fundamental rights to perpetrate crimes, the state should formulate policies that would checkmate misuse of it. Wait until someone very close to you is killed before you see sense in the ban of hijab.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by yetunsbay(m): 11:38am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Has FG banned cars because terrorist carry bombs in motor vehicle?
apt case study
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Saheed9: 11:38am On Jan 10, 2016
INTROVERT:
This issue will bring problem in Nigeria.

My little understanding from reading is that it is a borrowed culture from other parts of the the world particularly the desert areas where "sand and dust storms" are prevalent as a way of protecting the face and body. I beleive that there are appropriate ways a Muslim lady can dress that can cover the body properly. We should not encourage extremism in the guise of religion.
I'm glad you said ur little understanding, Islam jurisprudence goes beyond that. It's an Islamic way of dressing with lots of evidences in the Holy Quran.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Elosky20: 11:39am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Well, it is against the right of wearers of hijab to ban their veil. It is an established fact that the hijab is worn through the personal choice of the wearer even if it is religiously influenced. As such, it falls under the right to personal liberty. Hijab can't be banned except the government can prove that their is a correlation between Hijab and suicide bombing...this will be pretty difficult.

hmm are u telling me that nnamdi kanu is exercising his personal liberty by fighting against nigeria and also choosing to insight violence because u have many threads of this.
can u compare the rate of bombing by those on hijab and those with car,when was the last u heard of car bombing in nigeria pls.

why was tinted glass banned in nigeria if nt 4 security.
talking about freedom ur freedom can be withdrawn when deemed dangerous to others existence, besides this is just 4 the main time
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by DrRiley(m): 11:39am On Jan 10, 2016
INTROVERT:
This issue will bring problem in Nigeria.

My little understanding from reading is that it is a borrowed culture from other parts of the the world particularly the desert areas where "sand and dust storms" are prevalent as a way of protecting the face and body. I beleive that there are appropriate ways a Muslim lady can dress that can cover the body properly. We should not encourage extremism in the guise of religion.
Just so you know,there is no such thing as extremism in religion.Because if you want to be perfect in anything you have to dedicate your all to it.
#PEACE
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by INTROVERT(f): 11:39am On Jan 10, 2016
Saheed9:
I'm glad you said ur little understanding, Islam jurisprudence goes beyond that. It's an Islamic way of dressing with lots of evidences in the Holy Quran.

Thank you.... Is it a compulsory mode of dressing for all Muslim ladies?
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by jomoh: 11:40am On Jan 10, 2016
Vikings007:
[s][/s]

islam islam islam
Mallam Nobody is stopping You from standing with Your islam.

All we re saying is Hijab should be banned...even the people in Borno re in support of this, its just You tiny e-warriors hiding in one hole in sokoto that re making the silly noise. Wtf

And Lagos is part of borno?
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:41am On Jan 10, 2016
noblegrex:
even if government did not ban it,what is even the use,importance,effect and purpose of this Hijab. See those ladies in hijab looked like DEVILS.its even so scary at sight.moreover,their are several means of covering your body. The use of HIJAB is obsolete.it looks local,uneducative and a very primitive way of covering your body.there are far other better means. That Hijab is even banned in NYSC camp what about that.
Last I checked, nobdy has forced u or ur sisters to dress like that! Its simply a mata of choice! Hmmm? Get that?
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Magnitki: 11:41am On Jan 10, 2016
tonytony208:

What else does the government have to prove? Haven't there been cases of female suicide bombers hiding IED under hijab? Or where have you been in the past couple of years? Nigeria or space?

Why don't you ban cars as there used for armed robbery
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by igboboy3(m): 11:44am On Jan 10, 2016
shermx:

How many terrorists are using military uniforms to carry out there deadly attacks?
Why not ban military from wearing uniforms??

[size=15pt]Apparently, you are a new nairalander and this is just your first post

You've gotten off to a bad start by posting rubbish

don't be in a hurry to post next time. Read a little more[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Elosky20: 11:46am On Jan 10, 2016
Magnitki:

jail nnamdi kanu the igbos said no. ban hijab the moslem says no. and we are calling for end to bokoharam hmm. which way naija
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by jomoh: 11:47am On Jan 10, 2016
INTROVERT:

You choose not to educate me but insult me..... God bless you. Happy Sunday.

You see what I mean. Education is not by what you read alone but how what you read affects your thinking.

Calling you an illiterate is not an insult. Its a fact.

Saying you need to get educated is an advice. You obviously lack education in that aspect going by the numerous opposing opinion you've gotten.

I can choose to insult you by bringing the fact that you commented on what you know little about but I'd rather not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by leke12(m): 11:47am On Jan 10, 2016
yetunsbay:
leke u fall my hand big time
in war situation nothing is indispensable even the soldiers are expendable. So tell me wot is more precious than life? Religion aside, chad an islamic country have banned it, its not a permanent law its jst for d moment.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by igboboy3(m): 11:48am On Jan 10, 2016
Magnitki:

Egbon, cars are tools of public good.
Besides private cars are now banned in defence parastatals and even some places of worship. Even tricycles were banned in some countries when they began worsening air pollution
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by vickylala239: 11:50am On Jan 10, 2016
lolaxavier:
Hijab Ban: Soldiers Publicly Remove Veil From Muslim Woman In Lagos

Some unidentified soldiers on Friday forcefully removed the veil, popularly referred to as Niqab, from a Muslim woman at Meran Area of Lagos.‎

It was gathered the woman was going peacefully when two soldiers stopped and began to allegedly harass her.

According to an eyewitness, identified as Adetutu, it took the intervention of passersby and sympathisers for the Muslim woman to get her veil back.
Apart from the removal veil on Friday, two images had earlier been sighted separately at Ibadan.

One of the images seen and allegedly signed by ‘Federal Government’ at University College Hospital, Ibadan read,”Wearing of long hijab is prohibited in government establishment for security reasons”.

It will be recalled that this is happening few weeks to the comment that Federal Government may ban Hijab by President Muhammadu Buhari.

President Buhari while ‎commenting on the continued blasts in the North-East during his maiden media chat last Wednesday said, “We will have to consider banning of the Hijab if this (the suicide attacks) continues.”

But on Friday (January 1), the President through his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a press release denied insinuations that his administration had plans to ban Hijab.

While describing Hijab as the Muslim women’s dressing symbol of modesty, Buhari’s spokesperson added, “Everything will be done to balance national security requirements with the rights and obligations of citizens under their religions as protected by the constitution.”‎‎

The eyewitness, who described the the removal of the Hijab as an embarrassing sight and injustice, urged the Federal Government to make an official pronouncement stating that the hijab has not been banned to avert further chaos.

While narrating how the Hijab was removed, Adetutu said, “I arrived at the Meiran Bus Station to board a bus when I saw three armed military men stop a Muslim woman who was putting on ta black attire and a face veil. One of them confronted her asking why she used the face veil.

“The woman was surprised and helpless. Almost immediately he (one of the soldiers) turned up her face veil to reveal her face.

“The woman who felt ashamed only looked and could do nothing because the soldiers were heavily armed.

“After one of the soldiers revealed her face, another soldier forcefully removed the veil from her saying ‘This thing is not allowed in our country. You can use it in your house but not here’.

“He (the soldier) took the veil and was about leaving with it. All the woman could do was to plead with him to at least release the veil to her.

“After harassing her in such a way that called attention of passersby, he (the soldier) returned the veil to her and she quietly left almost shedding tears.”

Reacting to the pasting of a message to prohibit Hijab at UCH Ibadan, Amir of Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, UCH branch, Adam Hamzah said, “This is yet another reflection of open hatred of Islam. However, i want to urge our sisters to entertain no fear in showcasing the beauty of Islam through their Hijab. After all, they realised the essence of their existence unlike those who walk about in nudity.

“It is therefore imperative not to allow this issue derail us from the golden path. I am glad to inform you that MSSN at the branch,state,zonal and national levels is currently working assiduously to put a stop to this oppression.

“Several notable Muslim personalities have been duly informed about the issue.This is with a view to ensuring that our SON sisters enjoy not only using Hijab in the hostel but also on the wards. I therefore charge us to join hands in making this a reality.”

On her part, the Amirah of MSSN Lagos, Hajia Hafsoh Badru lamented many people have started harrasing female Muslims on Hijab.

She added, “It is regrettable that such statement was made at a period when Muslim sisters are facing tough times in practising their religion. We are sure that the Presidency is not unaware of the continuous denial of Muslim students to use Hijab as guaranteed by the Nigeria constitution and United Nations Charter on Human Rights.

“We hope that the earlier statement by the President won’t serve as a means for some bad eggs in governance to punish and harass females in Hijab or label them wrongly. We sincerely appeal to the president to mandate the Ministry of Information and other necessary agencies to release a circular that will guarantee female Muslims right to wear Hijab on the street, in schools and during their National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).”

http://www.thewhistleng.com/hijab-ban-soldiers-publicly-remove-veil-from-muslim-woman-in-lagos%e2%80%8e/

They shuld wear it in their houses Na not public

Why r Muslim Lik this

We r hving prblm n u guys r talking abt cloths to cover face.

Cover face for Wat?
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by arewafederation: 11:50am On Jan 10, 2016
mars123:
please boko haram attacks in the north affects not only northerners but all Nigerians, hope you know that? if it means banning the pant and bra to stop suicide bombings, I support it. tnk u.

Your opinion.
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Heineken(m): 11:51am On Jan 10, 2016
Islam is Peace.
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by NOETHNICITY(m): 11:51am On Jan 10, 2016
godoluwa:
D comparison makes no sense
please how does the comparison not make sense? Pls throw light!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by mars123(m): 11:52am On Jan 10, 2016
arewafederation:

Your opinion.
a wise opinion.
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by jomoh: 11:52am On Jan 10, 2016
Vikings007:
[s][/s]abok.i You're calling her an illiterate when You don't even have a brain in the 1st place? cheesy

Calling someone illiterate is not an insult its a fact.

Many are mad but Vikings007 is roaming. Now that's an insult.

Do you now get it goat.
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by INTROVERT(f): 11:52am On Jan 10, 2016
jomoh:

You see what I mean. Education is not by what you read alone but how what you read affects your thinking.

Calling you an illiterate is not an insult. Its a fact.

Saying you need to get educated is an advice. You obviously lack education in that aspect going by the numerous opposing opinion you've gotten.

I can choose to insult you by bringing the fact that you commented on what you know little about but I'd rather not.

Thank you....God bless you.
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by ojnnaco(m): 11:52am On Jan 10, 2016
If it should be ban let it be banned cox I don't see the usefulness because this people with the so called hijab commit major atrocities more than people with mini or skimpy skates .... coupled with the chances of hiding dangerous objects under d hijab
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by igboboy3(m): 11:52am On Jan 10, 2016
arewafederation:

Your opinion.
it is not his opinion. It is the truth

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Okada, Keke Ban: Occupy Lagos Protest This Morning In Pictures / Checkout Olisa Metuh's Swag Today Immediately Handcuff Was Removed From Him(pics / Vandefan Tersugh: It Raises Suspicion For A 20 - 30 Year-Old To Have N7m Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.