Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,676 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC (28900 Views)

Ondo: APC Crisis Worsens As S’west, S’south Chairmen Bicker / Fuel Crisis Worsens As Motorists Struggle To Get Fuel In Abuja / Senate Leadership Crisis Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by omenka(m): 6:50am On Jan 12, 2016
Just look at them. Don't you feel sorry for them?? All day they were in hiding because good news flooded everywhere, but now bbc has given them a hint of "bad news", suddenly you see them popping out from everywhere like vampires after sunset. cheesy

Everything they've said boils down to the price of oil and how it is affecting us, even the report says so. Had their lord and saviour, the Clueless One, done what he was supposed to do with all we made from crude sales during his admin when oil sold mostly over $100pb, instead of stealing everything in sight, perhaps the need for this news wouldn't have arisen.

But hell, what do we expect? Good or bad news, they are programmed to wail and curse the president simply because they HATE him and hate that he defeated their god.

I hope and pray you fellas cry for seven more years. You aint seen nothing yet.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by sarutobie(m): 6:56am On Jan 12, 2016
luvinhubby:
Most economic indices was pointing upwards for Nigeria until Buhari started making comments in the foreign press like "Nigeria is broke" & "Nigerians are corrupt" & since then every foreign investor ran.
even if you're a business amateur and a potential partner tells you "we're broke and corrupt" your alarm bells will scream RUN!

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:02am On Jan 12, 2016
Trailblazer1:

grin grin grin grin grin

This is the same BBC that Buhari only speaks through to Nigerians

You only listen to BBC when buhari speaks, but after that you turn deaf undecided

Kontinu, your hypocrisy will soon be advertised on Aljazeerah
****I have never in my life listened to BBC. Take it or leave it!

Ibcan even count the numbers of times I watched CNN because of their bad portray of the African continent except south Africa. So, before u start talking out of senses, roll back!
Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:04am On Jan 12, 2016
oduastates:
What did you do with the money when oil prices were high?
Nothing?
Only remittance from the diaspora is saving Nigeria right now. You can shout transformation agenda as much as you can, Nigeria clock has been turned back by Jonathan and Iweala straight back to 1982.

1922!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Biafrarep(m): 8:20am On Jan 12, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:
This BBC is one stupid news platform.

Where is the worsening economy?

Did the govt say they cannot pay salaries or cannot fund the budget?

This long sighted govt already said the oul won't be a factor. We are finding thru tax and internal revenue from govt agencies. If customers cld make 0.98 trillion in 9months, then we have no problem.

Whenever oil dwindles, the yeye BBC will hit on Nigeria. Dem send u come?

Abi ko fe daa fun yin ni ke?
I put it to you that you are either dependent on your parents/guardian or you are not in Nigeria. Pls prove me wrong! Everybody is feeling the heat, from manufacturers, importers & businessmen to those in the informal sector. It is a chain reaction, when when income falls, purchasing power falls & demand reduces. If nothing changes, then Nigeria is headed for reccession that would be worse than that of the 1980's. To worsen matters, the finance minister & CBN governor are confused on what to do.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by mrsokiemlove: 8:35am On Jan 12, 2016
God help us

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by tunjion: 8:38am On Jan 12, 2016
APC is a clueless party when it comes to the Economy.

Can u believe that in this difficult time that people are crying no Jobs, Ambode is busy demolishing 50 years Business in Lagos

Buhari is busy siezing people market and destroying them.

Can u believe that is the reality of today Nigeria?

Buhari's Economic Policies disproportionately affecting Igbos? - Cramjones by cramjones: 4:23pm On Jan 07
Many people have been saying that Buhari means well with his economic policies including my humble self, however, haven discussed with many people and studying who are affected the most, I am convinced to say that whilst Buhari's economic policies affect all Nigerians, the group it affects the most in a disportionate manner are the Igbos. When you examine most of these policies you would think that Igbos are specifically being targeted on all fronts. Let us examine the facts one after the other.

1. According to Vanguard news today, it was stated that Buhari's government have moved Lagos clearing house for imports to Kano. We all know that almost half of Lagos are occupied by Igbos. Igbo business men around the country have their networks in Lagos, and all they have known for many years is clearing their goods in Lagos. Moving it to Kano only adds to their cost without a concomitant value. Does it affect all business men, including hausas? Yes of course, but we all know that at least 70% of imports in Nigeria are carried out by Igbo business men all over Nigeria. This is NOT a good policy in my opinion it creates bad blood for the average Igbo business man, and make life even tougher for them.

(Link here http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/igbo-traders-bemoan-buharis-economic-policies-harsh-business-environment/)

2. The dollar policy has also disproportionately affected Igbos. Most Igbos have had to close business, because they cannot even find the dollar to pay for their imported goods. Worse still businessess that have millions of USD turn over, are prevented by the banks to collect their money, with the bank claiming they do not have dollar. This essentially grinds businesses and further makes the economy slip into oblivion. Does this policy affect other non-Igbo importers? Ofcourse yes, but given that Igbos are the engine of all of our imports in Nigeria, we can safely say that they are disproportionately affected.

3. Two days ago the APC government of Ambode, who in my opinion has been a confused governor, unable to just keep up with what Fashola has done, ordered that Oshodi market be destroyed. This is one of the largest market places in Nigeria and West Africa. Is it a bad policy to destroy Oshodi market for developmental reasons? Absolutely not, depending on its intent. However, what is bad policy, is when you do not give any notice, no alternatives, and then destroy peoples business that took many years to build, throwing thousands off their employment, and making many more people jobless. This is barbaric to say the least. Which group of people dominate Oshodi market? Igbos ofcourse. By many accounts, Igbos make up 85 - 90% of the traders in Oshodi. Was it a way of telling the Igbos that they are not needed in Lagos? Who inspired Ambode to take such actions?

I won't go further than this, but one thing is clear, PMB would have to thread carefully, or else what he thinks he is trying to make better, would only make the country worse. We do not need another civil war, policies like this only make Nigeria more polarized and ungovernable.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria

-CramJones

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by ddeola: 8:39am On Jan 12, 2016
Yeye pple.

Dry bones shall rise again.
Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by islandmoon: 8:40am On Jan 12, 2016
myopinion2011:
restriction of dollar sales does not solve Nigeria problems as it stands. Only REAL production will. Oil is dead and will not rise again.

our population is a resources to us! if they want to benefit at that rate, they can but not at the expense of our naira, things will improve with time, the hardship will drive-in changes.
Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by refreshrate: 8:42am On Jan 12, 2016
oduastates:
Nothing?
Only remittance from the diaspora is saving Nigeria right now. You can shout transformation agenda as much as you can, Nigeria clock has been turned back by Jonathan and Iweala straight back to 1982.

Erm sir, I thought that was why the present administration was voted into power?

To change things?

Or its by highlighting and screaming at the rooftops blaming the previous administration (skillfully avoiding even the ones before that) the solution to the problem sir?

Are you yourself not tired of the blame game sir?

At what point does accepting responsibility come in to play? ...sir?

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by luvinhubby(m): 8:45am On Jan 12, 2016
ddeola:
Yeye pple.

Dry bones shall rise again.
And who will ressurect them ?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by kachnov(m): 8:45am On Jan 12, 2016
oduastates:
Nothing?

Keep living in denial,be blaming Jonathan while armature ministers lead Nigeria to doom.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by lordizak(m): 8:45am On Jan 12, 2016
myopinion2011:
restriction of dollar sales does not solve Nigeria problems as it stands. Only REAL production will. Oil is dead and will not rise again.
Where you for read ur economics?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by refreshrate: 8:48am On Jan 12, 2016
Biafrarep:
I put it to you that you are either dependent on your parents/guardian or you are not in Nigeria. Pls prove me wrong! Everybody is feeling the heat, from manufacturers, importers & businessmen to those in the informal sector. It is a chain reaction, when when income falls, purchasing power falls & demand reduces. If nothing changes, then Nigeria is headed for reccession that would be worse than that of the 1980's. To worsen matters, the finance minister & CBN governor are confused on what to do.

I honest to God do not understand why you would seriously consider responding to that fellow.

Are you new on NL?

If you keep respnding to every brainless & unrealistic post like that one then I fear for your health, these people will wound you with unrealistic thinking & blind psychophancy.
Next time just scroll past.

Please.

For your own good.

How someone can see the country today & still talk like that?
I've advised you sha.

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Kingspin(m): 8:48am On Jan 12, 2016
Some people will feel ashamed to regret or speak against this publicity government even when things are not done well.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by plaetton: 8:49am On Jan 12, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:
This BBC is one stupid news platform.

Where is the worsening economy?

Did the govt say they cannot pay salaries or cannot fund the budget?

This long sighted govt already said the oul won't be a factor. We are finding thru tax and internal revenue from govt agencies. If customers cld make 0.98 trillion in 9months, then we have no problem.

Whenever oil dwindles, the yeye BBC will hit on Nigeria. Dem send u come?

Abi ko fe daa fun yin ni ke?

Everything you said here is flat wrong, sir.

Yes, government cannot pay salaries.
Just ask the government workers who into the Christmas season without salaries.
It will even worse in the months to come.

States are even worse of. Many states will be financially insolvent in the coming months. The federal largesse has dwindled greatly.

With foreign exchange restrictions, imports will be down, and so will customs revenues.

Nigeria is in an economic mess.
It's a no brainer.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by longayink: 8:50am On Jan 12, 2016
No be the West hide under Chibok Girls outcry and made Nigerians vote an economic illiterate for a president? Where are Chibok Girls? The West no longer raise the outcry about Chibok girls.

Now the president the West helped to give us is busy with vendetta - acting as chief executive and chief of judiciary, locking up his enemies in prison - without any iota of idea that he is supposed to lay hands on what he has on ground and use them to build the economy, then gradually chase looters.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 12, 2016
chesterlee:
Russell Padmore
Business correspondent, BBC News

Nigeria might be the richest economy in Africa but that does not impress hard-nosed investors who buy and sell shares at the local stock exchange.
The West African financial market had another losing day today, closing at its lowest level for more than three years, down 2.5%.
Investors are growing increasingly worried about the outlook for the biggest economy in sub-Saharan Africa, largely because the country is too dependent on revenues from the energy industry and the price of oil has fallen through the floor.
Last week, Brent crude oil, the benchmark blend of oil traded in London, fell below $35 (£24) a barrel and prices of West Africa’s Bonny Light crude oil has followed the downward spiral.
Last year, the benchmark gauge of Nigerian shares fell more than 17 % as the market reflected investors fears about the huge economic challenge the government faces.
Six months ago, Nigeria's central bank imposed measures to restrict access to US dollars, used to import certain items, in an effort to conserve its reserves of foreign currency, amid sinking oil prices.
However, the move has made it more difficult for Nigerian manufacturers to buy raw materials from sources abroad, because of limits of supplies of dollars and that is restricting economic growth.
The top shares among the losers today reflect the impact of the central bank’s policy, the cement maker Lafarge Africa is down 9.6%, Unity Bank 9.4% and Dangote Cement, which accounts for about a third of total market capitalisation, shed 4.3%, according to Reuters news agency.
It is reported pension funds are selling shares bought last year to hold cash as a buffer against expected losses caused by Nigeria’s weak economy.

Source:
www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-35231590?live_variant=nonjs

but Nairabet still dey pay back2back

so fvck that shiiii

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 12, 2016
grandstar:
Buhari is in the mold of Julius Nyerere and Kenneth Kuanda: - honest leaders who left their economies in tatters.

Buhari's understanding of economics borders on zero. This restrictive foriegn exchange policies are adversely affecting all sectors of the economy and inflation is rearing its ugly head.

If these wrong headed policies continue for the next 18months, Buhari should kiss a 2nd term bye bye.

APC will give him only so long.

Businessmen will have a strong influence in politics from now on.

They won't take a risk on sentiments by hooting for a shoeless politician or simply a man of integrity.

They will root for a tested technocrat. I suspect the governor in Kaduna may be the man
you were making a nice comment not until your last sentence.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by BlackMerchant(m): 8:51am On Jan 12, 2016
oduastates:
Nothing?

Remain blessed. Unfortunately, the Wailers will not see this fact.
Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Soreza(m): 8:53am On Jan 12, 2016
AND WHO IS STILL LISTENING TO BBC,CNN AND ALL THAT PROPAGANDA NETWORKS AGAINST AFRICA AND BLACKS AS A WHOLE,BECAUSE OF THOSE STUPID PEOPLE THATZ WHY ONLY WHAT THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS ABOUT AFRICA IS DESERT BUSH AND ANIMALS,I HAVE STOPPED WATCHING THEM FOR A LONG TIME HERE IN EUROPE IF I WANT LISTEN TO NEWS IN NIGERIA I TUNE ON TO CHANNELSTV ONLINE THATS THE ONLY NON BIAS AND VALUES THE GROWTH OF NIGERIA CUZ THEY ARE NIGERIANS,SO NIGERIANS BE WISE.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by chinchum(m): 8:54am On Jan 12, 2016
Oil price don clock 30usd today oooooehhhhh, 20 usd clearly in sight.
Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Brightology2(m): 8:55am On Jan 12, 2016
U be really goat.jonathan mata go kill u
oduastates:
Nothing?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by kachnov(m): 8:56am On Jan 12, 2016
Biafrarep:

Was listening to the finance minister on NTA's good morning Nigeria and it appears shes even more clueless than i imagined.with her 2-kobo British accent simple questions posed to her,she appeared as someone less informed,lacking in clear economic strategies to help the ailing economy. She couldn't even explain why they were borrowing even when IMF pointed out the high cost of borrowing at this time.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by delta234: 8:56am On Jan 12, 2016
Chanji

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by chinchum(m): 8:57am On Jan 12, 2016
refreshrate:

Erm sir, I thought that was why the present administration was voted into power?

To change things?

Or its by highlighting and screaming at the rooftops blaming the previous administration (skillfully avoiding even the ones before that) the solution to the problem sir?

Are you yourself not tired of the blame game sir?

At what point does accepting responsibility come in to play? ...sir?
shhhhh, they can only weather the storm, they cant stop it. Stop being delusional. This current administration will manage the storm better, no doubt about that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by olas24u(f): 8:57am On Jan 12, 2016
grandstar:
Buhari is in the mold of Julius Nyerere and Kenneth Kuanda: - honest leaders who left their economies in tatters.

Buhari's understanding of economics borders on zero. This restrictive foriegn exchange policies are adversely affecting all sectors of the economy and inflation is rearing its ugly head.

If these wrong headed policies continue for the next 18months, Buhari should kiss a 2nd term bye bye.

APC will give him only so long.

They won't take a risk on sentiments by hooting for a shoeless politician or simply a man of integrity.

They will root for a tested technocrat. I suspect the governor in Kaduna may be the man

You are not blaming GEJ,s economic team?production is the key to sustainable development,the pressure on the naira is due to imported goods and capital flight by foreigners and foreign companies in Nigeria.Buhari is on the right track .
Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by tete7000(m): 8:58am On Jan 12, 2016
luvinhubby:
Most economic indices was pointing upwards for Nigeria until Buhari started making comments in the foreign press like "Nigeria is broke" & "Nigerians are corrupt" & since then every foreign investor ran.

He equally refused to appoint ministers on time thus totally grounding the economy in the process. I will always maintain that those lost time represents a good opportunity to improve things. How many investors within those time who could have invested ran away with their money. Its really pathetic a president shut his economy for as long as Buhari did and even learned people hailed it as a way forward.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Brightology2(m): 8:58am On Jan 12, 2016
Am begining to forsooth ur personality and u're about to be stuff'd with an epithet of foolishness
Keneking:
Sai Buhari

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by vRendoh(m): 9:00am On Jan 12, 2016
angry
Is long I had from Osho Baba! After APC played the reggae, is like most of the APC members are not enjoying the blues! Yansh dey smell is better experienced! Make una rule, power don dey for Unu hand.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by Nobody: 9:02am On Jan 12, 2016
[=grandstar post=41885510]

guy abeg explain!
Re: Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC by okejos(m): 9:05am On Jan 12, 2016
BUARI SHOULD GO TO GEJ FOR ADVICE N STOP THIS EGO OF SHAMEFUL CHANGE THAT IS NOT LEADING US ANYWHERE

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“face Your Problems Not My Performance At PDP Primary” – Saraki Replies APC / Bandits Kill 22 At Zamfara Gold Mine / South-east Top Officers Who May Succeed IGP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.