Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,992 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? (14498 Views)

Poll: Can you?

Yes: 40% (41 votes)
No: 59% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Who Wants To Be A Housewife? / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Kunbee: 11:48pm On Oct 29, 2009
Fhemmmy:

give us reason now

After suffering in medical school, doing a 10 yr course. It does not make sense to me.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 6:53am On Oct 30, 2009
A house wife dont necessarily means, you are home doing nothing, you could be a doctor still and run your own clinic.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Kunbee: 4:03am On Oct 31, 2009
Fhemmmy:

A house wife dont necessarily means, you are home doing nothing, you could be a doctor still and run your own clinic.

How is that posssible undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 7:05am On Oct 31, 2009
Fhemmmy:

huh??
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 31, 2009
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by redsky1: 8:04pm On Oct 31, 2009
yes - we women should stop looking down on each other.

there is pride in being a housewife and there is pride in being a working wife/mother.

both of them are fullfilling and we all have the opportunity to choose which one we want to be. I have a very good professional job/career but once the kids start coming i have no qualms being a housewife - does it make me less of a women - NO. if my husband can provide for the family then what is wrong with me staying at home and keeping my house a home.

anyway each to their own - no one choice is perfect
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Kunbee: 12:58am On Nov 01, 2009
SeanT21:

huh??

I thought i was the only one who noticed
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 6:04am On Nov 01, 2009
^^^^ Lol
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 11, 2009
which kinda useless husband is dat.!!!!!tufia!!!!!! 4 a man 2 tell his wife 2 live her career n be a full time housewife is selfishness on d path of d man.d man dint even consider all the time energy d parents n herself has spent 2 make her a graduate (if she"s one anywway)anywayz such men regret their foolish decisions (dats if d wife gives in to his foolish decision).cos if anytin happens like sacking,retrenchment or sumtin.wot becomes of the home.if d woman was employed shell be able to financially support the home to d extent that the husband would even feel that he is sacked.i think anoda reason why some dump men ask dia wives 2 b full house wives is because dey r filin threatened (maybe by their wives boss,if she is a secretary) maybe their imaginary rivalry is wealthier,more successful or finer than dem grin grin grin grin grin.at least i"m happy dat dis days men r putin on dia thinkin caps n alowin dia wives 2 work not like men of d old whose decision is final.at least men r beginin 2 learn (in a hard way) dat promiscuity n unnecessary suspicion does dem a lot of harm so does not alowin ur wife 2 work.and am also hapy dat on d part of women dey av options.dey pik dia kids n walk out of d marriage if dia husbands r makin life miserable 4 dem (as in makin dem totaly dependent on dem)
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by ooohyea: 12:59am On Dec 19, 2009
@ Poster, What are you smokin? A housewife is the realist of all women. They work harder and are paid only in love. Their job is the hardest and most important job that any woman can have. Housewives are teachers, accountants, cooks, maids, nurses, seamstresses, chaffeurs and a host of other things. She has to be brilliant and savvy with top-notch organizational skills. To top it all off, at the end of the day when she has worn all these different hats, she has to be appealing for and attentive to her husband. Now I know that there are some superwomen who can handle the household and have a outside job but there is always something lacking in one of those places.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by ubiaa5(f): 12:03am On Dec 20, 2009
↑↑↑ my dear tell them,most of them complaining abt being housewives are not married so they dont get it,they have to be in that situation 2 understand wat sacrifice means.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by malaika(f): 10:51am On Dec 21, 2009
::
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by GL(f): 5:25am On Dec 23, 2009
@ Topic,

yes i can be a housewife if my job is making it hard to spend time with my kids AND if my husband is wealthy enough to pay me a competitive salary. he has to pay me something comparable to what i would earn if i were working because i wouldn't want to be asking him for money for my personal needs. my primary reason for wanting a career is financial stability, so if my husband can fulfill that need then i don't mind being a housewife.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by H2O2: 5:35am On Dec 23, 2009
ROFLMAO your husband becomes your employer be that, no be so?
grin grin Competitive salary. I lol in hiphop.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 3:44pm On Dec 23, 2009
GL:

@ Topic,

yes i can be a housewife if my job is making it hard to spend time with my kids AND if my husband is wealthy enough to pay me a competitive salary. he has to pay me something comparable to what i would earn if i were working because i wouldn't want to be asking him for money for my personal needs. my primary reason for wanting a career is financial stability, so if my husband can fulfill that need then i don't mind being a housewife.

I think this is one of the best post on this thread, you are not saying NO, nor saying YES, just laying down your conditions and i think those are fair conditions, especially in a case of Nigeria, where at the death of the husband, some dumb families of his could come and wack you and chase you out, and left you with nothing, so i blv and agreed that you need money of your own.

malaika:

My worry is some men become arrogant when they are the sole breadwinners, which makes a lot of women wary of being financially dependent on their husbands. I'd have to find a way to make some money on the side e.g. Part-time tutoring/marking of exam scripts if I want to put my education to good use, then maybe I'd consider being a SAHM.

Very true, and also, have u ever imagine what cld happen when the man dies.
However, the arrogant thing can be put to check, the woman just have to use her womanic powers

ubiaa5:

↑↑↑ my dear tell them,most of them complaining abt being housewives are not married so they dont get it,they have to be in that situation 2 understand wat sacrifice means.

That is very true
ooohyea!:

@ Poster, What are you smokin? A housewife is the realist of all women. They work harder and are paid only in love. Their job is the hardest and most important job that any woman can have. Housewives are teachers, accountants, cooks, maids, nurses, seamstresses, chaffeurs and a host of other things. She has to be brilliant and savvy with top-notch organizational skills. To top it all off, at the end of the day when she has worn all these different hats, she has to be appealing for and attentive to her husband. Now I know that there are some superwomen who can handle the household and have a outside job but there is always something lacking in one of those places.

Well said
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by yajebu: 10:20am On Dec 30, 2009
Being a 'housewife' doesn't make you an idle, laid-back  incomeless person. It actually makes you more of a real woman and it also does not mean you have to be 100% dependent on dear hubby! There are 1001 things that can be done from home. Every human being has skills that can be developed. You are there for your kids in the most important years of their lives. You determine your work hours. Sitting down waiting for manna from dear hubby (becos he is wealthy) is  simply being lazy!

I am a proud, comfortable and intellectually sound housewife. I do confectionary supply, I do catering rentals, I sell clothes. I'm currently working on establishing a snail farm and home bakery. I  have my BSc in Accounting and an MBA. I'm a Chartered Accountant and have a paper to go in becoming a Certified Internal Auditor. I keep abreast with developments in my academic calling and if the need arises, I will dust my certificates and hit the roads!!!!

I took the decision to leave paid employment when I realised my kids were imbibing the values of their nanny and not turning out the way I wanted. Of what use is all the money one makes if your kids turn out horrible? I admit it was a tough decision but today, the whole family is the better for it including dear hubby. No more frozen meals everyday grin . I'm fufilled. No regrets.  cool The sky is the limit for housewives,  depending on individual desires! wink
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Ejadamen(f): 12:17pm On Dec 30, 2009
yajebu:

Being a 'housewife' doesn't make you an idle, laid-back  incomeless person. It actually makes you more of a real woman and it also does not mean you have to be 100% dependent on dear hubby! There are 1001 things that can be done from home. Every human being has skills that can be developed. You are there for your kids in the most important years of their lives. You determine your work hours. Sitting down waiting for manna from dear hubby (becos he is wealthy) is  simply being lazy!

I am a proud, comfortable and intellectually sound housewife. I do confectionary supply, I do catering rentals, I sell clothes. I'm currently working on establishing a snail farm and home bakery. I  have my BSc in Accounting and an MBA. I'm a Chartered Accountant and have a paper to go in becoming a Certified Internal Auditor. I keep abreast with developments in my academic calling and if the need arises, I will dust my certificates and hit the roads!!!!

I took the decision to leave paid employment when I realised my kids were imbibing the values of their nanny and not turning out the way I wanted. Of what use is all the money one makes if your kids turn out horrible? I admit it was a tough decision but today, the whole family is the better for it including dear hubby. No more frozen meals everyday grin . I'm fufilled. No regrets.  cool The sky is the limit for housewives,  depending on individual desires! wink
Lovely post.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by GL(f): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2009
yajebu:

i must commend you, i'm impressed. you sound just like my mother, she's a housewife and a business woman. most of the time she does several businesses too.

but you know not everyone is business-oriented, some people have zero business skills. some people's only skills are related to their profession.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Ejadamen(f): 12:58pm On Dec 30, 2009
GL:

i must commend you, i'm impressed. you sound just like my mother, she's a housewife and a business woman. most of the time she does several businesses too.

but you know not everyone is business-oriented, some people have zero business skills. some people's only skills are related to their profession.

This has aroused my curiosity. So what can a housewife in this situation then do?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Pharoh: 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2009
Ejadamen:

[/b]
This has aroused my curiosity. So what can a housewife in this situation then do?

There is nothing to do there if you truly believe a woman has zero business skills.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 2:58pm On Dec 30, 2009
Y'all are still on this thread?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by tpia5: 10:14pm On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by OnlyRebel: 7:10pm On Feb 08, 2012
How can a woman with zero business skill be a housewife? This is one of the qualities of a successful housewife. Of what use is your degree if you have no business skill. The reason many people don't believe hosewives have the most difficult job in the world. The reason you all want to work for people and not thinking of owning one of those fortune businesses. Housewives are teachers, entrepreneurs, managers, accounts, just to name a few. Egg-head can't be housewife get it to skull.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by bukatyne(f): 9:04pm On Mar 03, 2015
About 6yrs late grin

How can a housewife have a side business?

There is a difference BTW an housewife and someone working from home.

The only job is not corporate oriented.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 03, 2015
gen2genius:
Frankly, even if I became the richest man in the world, my wife would still use her degree to have a meaningful contribution to the society. What's all the fuss about a woman staying at home for the rest of her life, burying her talents, certificates etc because she wants to have a happy home? Sonya Carson (mother of Ben and Curtis Carson) was a single mother who worked tirelessly to feed and educate her children. Yet she still had ample time to bring them up to become responsible men. There are several other women like that. You don't have to stay at home all-day long to have good children. You can have a successful career and a successful marriage. It's a matter of being resourceful and being able to set your priorities right.

Which of the men advocating "full-time housewife" role would be happy to send their daughters to school up to Masters level only for her to bury everything in the name of marriage and family life? Can any of these men agree to be full-time househusbands? Was a woman created JUST to bear and rear children, cook and clean a house? If yes, why didn't God just give them mothering abilities without any other skills? Why are women created with the same mental abilities as men?  And why do we even have to send our girls to general schools? I mean we could just create a School of Mothering and Family Life and send all our girls there instead of spending so much money to train them to study a course like Mass Communication only to end up communicating nothing except lullabies and kitchen songs!

A woman could stay at home with her kids in their formative years, but anything after that, count me out!!!
You rock!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by tpiah01: 12:36am On Mar 04, 2015
Please discuss these things before marriage in order to reduce the rate at which these threads are spamming the forum.

if you and your partner do not agree on some things, you can call off the relationship before you get married.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Benefits Of Having Self-love / Polygamy: Men: How Do You Tell Your Wife,you've Gotten A New Wife. / My Husband Forgot My Birthday :-(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.