Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,302 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? (14507 Views)

Poll: Can you?

Yes: 40% (41 votes)
No: 59% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Who Wants To Be A Housewife? / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by oyinda3(f): 12:16am On Jun 21, 2009
I see a bunch of ladies that fall into financial trouble after divorce because they were living of their husbands.
even without the divorce, the husband has to approve of everything they do because basically the husband is the financial source. that's like living in servitude
in this world where you need money to do most things. the wife can't do anything without husband giving head nod. lmao
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by C2H5OH(f): 12:16am On Jun 21, 2009
oyinda.:

nothing is broken down about uk societies either. maybe u meant single parent families.
IMO families with career parents are the most successful (with both parents involved in the upbringing of the child rather than leaving the task to just the mother).
LOL IMO.   That really gave you a load of bonus points.  lol  grin  grin alakori

women don't have the right to self fulfulment you mean? only men do?
imagine yourself dependent on somebody to do everything you need. even to buy sanitary pads or tampons u have to ask ur husband. that's a sad life to live IMO. some women prolly enjoy that but  lipsrsealed

IMO the guy is just trying to be a loving provider for his family

If you want to work go on ahead and work

Outstrip:

My husband does not tell me anything. We discuss issues. I cannot see myself as a housewife but my kids are my primary responsibility. If my work happens to get in the way then bye to it.
kiss
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 12:18am On Jun 21, 2009
oyinda.:

nothing is broken down about uk societies either. maybe u meant single parent families.
IMO families with career parents are the most successful (with both parents involved in the upbringing of the child rather than leaving the task to just the mother).

imagine yourself dependent on somebody to do everything you need. even to buy sanitary pads or tampons u have to ask ur husband. that's a sad life to live IMO. some women prolly enjoy that but lipsrsealed

I know right!!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by oyinda3(f): 12:24am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

LOL IMO.   That really gave you a load of bonus points.  lol  grin  grin alakori

sorry o. just speaking for ppl I kno. u can speak 4 urself as well lol

nah. I think there is more to it than that. there is a power dynamic involved
why would you want to be the sole provider? even when the wife says she doesn't mind working to help out? plus her working will raise the family income by a lot and will also help in the raising of the kids?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 12:24am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

If you want to work go on ahead and work

kiss

Who do u respect more?? A housewife or a wife with a JOB?? Will U not find it annoying when the women keep coming 2 u for all her needs?? Plus, what kind of lesson are U teaching your daughter(s)??
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by noetic2: 12:25am On Jun 21, 2009
oyinda.:

I was referring to both single parents and normal families. I believe that there are sufficient grounds to buttress my assertion.

what EXACTLY do u mean by success? do u mean money, property, wealth or affluence? cos in my dictionary this do not explicitly define success.

After making so much money, u get back home one day and realise that the son (age 14) whom u have refused to train and give attention has been involved in a street fight  and has stabbed someone else to death. You then ask urself, when did he start carrying a knife?
Or the daughter (age 15) tells u that she is pregnant. Then u ask urself, when did she start having sex?

To those whom this scenario has ever played out to, regardless of the wealth they poccess, their peace is forever shattered.

what are u talking about, oyinda?

In today's world, the man is expected to bring the food to the table, its not an ego thing, its just the norm. The lady should work if there is a need for it, not out of pleasure. Wealth, riches and career fulfilment are good and desirable but family values and peace are better earned.

imagine yourself dependent on somebody to do everything you need. even to buy sanitary pads or tampons u have to ask ur husband. that's a sad life to live IMO. some women prolly enjoy that but  lipsrsealed

I would never want my wife to have this mindset. I would like her to understand that what I earn is for the family, which includes her.
is it not my joy, if the kids are well watched over and one does not suffer the heart ache of a broken family caused by youthful exorbitance on the part of the kids?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by C2H5OH(f): 12:34am On Jun 21, 2009
SeanT21:

Who do u respect more?? A housewife or a wife with a JOB?? Will U not find it annoying when the women keep coming 2 u for all her needs?? Plus, what kind of lesson are U teaching your daughter(s)??

a good wife
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 12:42am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

a good wife

I have come to the conclusion that some men love it when their wife comes to them for everything.Makes them feel like they are in control.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by oyinda3(f): 12:45am On Jun 21, 2009
after making so much money, u get back home one day and realise that the son (age 14) whom u have refused to train and give attention has been involved in a street fight and has stabbed someone else to death. You then ask urself, when did he start carrying a knife?
Or the daughter (age 15) tells u that she is pregnant. Then u ask urself, when did she start having sex?

so housewives usually know when their daughters start having sex?? you're funny
if you are not homeschooling your children, then your argument holds no water.

nothing wrong with working while the children are away at school. it eliminates having to sit at home watching daytime tv operas (these tv series were actually created with housewives in mind lol ) and chatting with other housewives all day.

you get to make enough money to send your kid to better private school and live in a better neighborhood/ environment for the proper nurturing the children need than if only the husband was working

the only time I would want to be a "housewife" is right after the child is born for that year or two. because that's the period when it's hard to juggle career and children and children should always come first. when the child reaches school age, there really is no point staying home unless you're homeschooling them or something. are you going to be changing diapers when your child is 9 yrs?

another thing is housewives tend to have wayy more children than career parents (ex. average american family size versus typical naija family size)
maybe the women are too bored that they need new babies to keep them busy. lol

In today's world, the man is expected to bring the food to the table, its not an ego thing, its just the norm. The lady should work if there is a need for it, not out of pleasure. Wealth, riches and career fulfilment are good and desirable but family values and peace are better earned.

pls get with the times. that's in yesterday's world. in today's world, women are also expected to bring food to the table and that's the norm now
even in Naija when I stayed with my aunt for a short time, she wished she had a job throughout (mind you, the husband provided everything and even encouraged her job search) just because she didn't like how she had to breakdown what she needed money for throughout the day and the whole sitting at home watching tv and gossiping with friends while the kids were at school etc she was really bored to say the least undecided

there is no one size fit all "family value" different stroke for different folks. even pastor's child with housewife mother is just as capable of becoming a teen mom or robber.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by C2H5OH(f): 12:45am On Jun 21, 2009
When

why did you come to that conclusion
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by noetic2: 12:51am On Jun 21, 2009
oyinda.:

nothing wrong with working while the children are away at school. it eliminates having to sit at home watching daytime tv operas (these tv series were actually created with housewives in mind lol ) and chatting with other housewives all day.

you get to make enough money to send your kid to better private school and live in a better neighborhood/ environment for the proper nurturing the children need than if only the husband was working

the only time I would want to be a "housewife" is right after the child is born for that year or two. because that's the period when it's hard to juggle career and children and children should always come first. when the child reaches school age, there really is no point staying home unless you're homeschooling them or something. are you going to be changing diapers when your child is 9 yrs?

another thing is housewives tend to have wayy more children than career parents (ex. average american family size versus typical naija family size)

I believe I spoke in simple English.

A woman at home taking care of the children WHEN the husband earns enough income, helps to ensure the kids are well trained and preserve the family's peace.

pls get with the times. that's in yesterday's world. in today's world, women are also expected to bring food to the table and that's the norm now
even in Naija when I stayed with my aunt for a short time, she wished she had a job throughout (mind you, the husband provided everything and even encouraged her job search) just because she didn't like how she had to breakdown what she needed money for throughout the day and the whole sitting at home watching tv and gossiping with friends while the kids were at school etc she was really bored to say the least undecided

there is no one size fit all "family value" different stroke for different folks. even pastor's child with housewife mother is just as capable of becoming a teen mom or robber.

Its all about choice.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by oyinda3(f): 12:55am On Jun 21, 2009
noetic2:

I believe I spoke in simple English.

A woman at home taking care of the children WHEN the husband earns enough income, helps to ensure the kids are well trained and preserve the family's peace.

Its all about choice.

the average family isn't earning "enough" income. there are always opportunities to improve ones financial situation.
even obama's wife is a career woman. lol
but if I were married to a millionaire ,  . .  hmm I wouldn't want to be a full time housewife but my work hours will be a lotttttttt shorter. lol so you got a point there
and yes, it's all about choice. some women enjoy being housewives some don't. it all boils down to choice I guess.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 1:00am On Jun 21, 2009
oyinda.:

the average family isn't earning "enough" income. there are always opportunities to improve ones financial situation.
even obama's wife is a career woman. lol
but if I were married to a millionaire , . . hmm I wouldn't want to be a full time housewife but my work hours will be a lotttttttt shorter. lol so you got a point there
and yes, it's all about choice. some women enjoy being housewives some don't. it all boils down to choice I guess.

Very TRUE!!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Sissy3(f): 6:21am On Jun 21, 2009
While the lady might feel fulfilled to be a career woman, there is bound to be neglect of the kids, the husbands/family needs are hardly met and the family's future/peace is threatened. At least this in my opinion is the basis for the broken society in UK today.

i disagree with this. being a home made house wife doesn't equate to being a better mom. there are many housewives that their homes has been messed up with the wife being at home and the family needs are still not meet. a good wife/woman will always be whether she's a stay at mom or career woman. and the bad ones will always exhibit it everywhere they are. and the issue of children not behaving bad when their mom is at home is also a flawed theory. take for instance, in naija many moms stay at home day and night, still their daughters do get pregnant out of wedlock and their sons do join the streets.

and the idea of the man being the breadwinner of the family in these days and times is fastly fading even in our "conservative" naija society IMO. and i dont see how that correlates with the lost of family "values". a couple who knows how to handle their martial problems will not be affected with the wife working if it's a mutual agreement. and the bad ones will always flaunt at it no matter what.

@ post

I wouldn't mind staying at home if ONLY the needs arises for it.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by prittigrrr(f): 2:23am On Jun 22, 2009
When I was married, I was a housewife.  I also was a full time student.  I loved being a housewife.  I volunteered at my stepkids' school.  I was in graduate school and I had time to manage the home and attend to my studies.  On break, I would take a part time job, but most times, I only worked in the home.  I volunteered at my church and stayed very, very busy.  Most money came from my husband, but I was able to make pocket money doing a few things.  I could easily go back to being a housewife because I know how to do a lot of different things.  If I got bored, I could always open a home business or start working in my profession part time. However, I am glad I knew how to work and had experience and education since I ended up getting divorced. Even if a lady is a housewife, every woman should know how to work and provide for herself.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 3:52am On Jun 22, 2009
prittigrrr:

When I was married, I was a housewife. I also was a full time student. I loved being a housewife. I volunteered at my stepkids' school. I was in graduate school and I had time to manage the home and attend to my studies. On break, I would take a part time job, but most times, I only worked in the home. I volunteered at my church and stayed very, very busy. Most money came from my husband, but I was able to make pocket money doing a few things. I could easily go back to being a housewife because I know how to do a lot of different things. If I got bored, I could always open a home business or start working in my profession part time. However, I am glad I knew how to work and had experience and education since I ended up getting divorced. Even if a lady is a housewife, every woman should know how to work and provide for herself.

Yes!!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by mrsb(f): 10:54am On Jun 22, 2009
This is very much a matter of personal choice.

In fact one of HSBC's current point of view ads uses a mum at home with kids all over her - three pictures of the same lady/kids in the same homely setting - priviledge, sacrifice or role model?

For me, well I tried it in between having my kids and my husband and I both realised pretty fast that it didn't suit us as a couple. He fell in love with me as a feisty young independent woman and found me stuck at home with no motivation kind of a turn off. I felt totally worthless and called him a million times a day out of loneliness!! Plus I am no domestic goddess. Drove me crazy that I even had to ask for money to get a pedicure or grab a coffee etc.

It was great to be around a bit more for the kids and to keep an eye on the cook etc but for us as a family, we are all happy with me working. I have a kind of flexible job so I can make sure I am home first, can do kids homework etc. and if my husband needs anything during the day, I will juggle whatever is happening in the office to put him first. Luckily I have a clueless boss so can get away with murder. wink

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SamMilla1(m): 11:59am On Jun 22, 2009
I dont fancy the idea of my wife being a housewife
but if we have three or four children and
the choice of who is going to be staying more at home to watch over things comes up,

The vote will go thus :

Me : 0%
Her : 101%.
That means she stays home while i go to the field to hunt for some Insurgents for a living,

Iraqi style.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by talk2keke: 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2009
I reject it by fire by force,
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jun 22, 2009
damn! if i have to go by what i'm reading here then my mum must be carrying a big fat [size=15pt]L[/size]. before my parents got married they both worked with the defunct Nigeria Ariways. My mum earned more than dad even after they got married.

With the support of my dad my mum decided to give to up her job when she started having kids.

Now, if that makes her any less of a 'REAL WOMAN' than those with jobs then so be it. I wouldn't swap my mum staying at home while we grew up for anything else in the world.

Thank heavens for a had working dad and the Grace of God.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by BBAnne(f): 12:15pm On Jun 22, 2009
of course i can be a housewife, so far he is willing to pay me exactly how much i am earning monthly and i get a promotion each year, i dont have a problem at all cool
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JJYOU: 12:34pm On Jun 22, 2009
sean, oyinda and co, do i get the impression you guys believe money and being able to earn your own money = happiness and fulfilment?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by oyinda3(f): 12:38pm On Jun 22, 2009
JJYOU:

sean, oyinda and co, do i get the impression you guys believe  money and being able to earn your own money = happiness and fulfilment?

nah. see i am currently jobless and I can feel already the pain talkless of being jobless 4 lyfe. that would suck  embarassed embarassed I feel like i'm handicapped

mrsb:

This is very much a matter of personal choice.

In fact one of HSBC's current point of view ads uses a mum at home with kids all over her  - three pictures of the same lady/kids in the same homely setting - priviledge, sacrifice or role model?

For me, well I tried it in between having my kids and my husband and I both realised pretty fast that it didn't suit us as a couple. He fell in love with me as a feisty young independent woman and found me stuck at home with no motivation kind of a turn off. I felt totally worthless and called him a million times a day out of loneliness!! Plus I am no domestic goddess. Drove me crazy that I even had to ask for money to get a pedicure or grab a coffee etc.

It was great to be around a bit more for the kids and to keep an eye on the cook etc but for us as a family, we are all happy with me working. I have a kind of flexible job so I can make sure I am home first, can do kids homework etc. and if my husband needs anything during the day, I will juggle whatever is happening in the office to put him first. Luckily I have a clueless boss so can get away with murder.  wink

I totally agree with you jare
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by ozenyen(m): 12:40pm On Jun 22, 2009
I believe this topic is one of the most debated issues among couples.
there can not be a straight answer as to whelther a woman should pursue her career or not, it all depends on what the couple defines as wealth and fulfillment. if you make the whole money on earth and send your kids to the best school doest not guarantee that their family values outside formal education has been well taken care of.
if your understanding that family building is a team work that involves the father, mother and kids it will be better appreciated. the task of bringing children up alone is a heavy one and i wonder how well a family can cope with regular tedious job and keep an eye on their kids.
i sincerely believe that woman should not fully depend on their husband but it has to be when the children has reached a certain age.
dont forget nothing is free! neglect your childern and make money, be ready to have kids that will sell your properties while you are even alife.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by stantalka: 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2009
first and foremost,
the african woman is married and as african, u need not take certain actions in ur home.
there are decisions that the man needs to take.
this issues of housewife thing has caused alot of broken homes and marriages.
if ur husband takes a decion such as this, i think it will be best if u reason with him. if the reasons u give are good enough , he might change his mind. let the african woman show respect to are husband.
a man can't just take decisions such as this without good reasons, if other wise, then he's being wicked.
so everything boils down on home planning.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by otukpo(f): 1:05pm On Jun 22, 2009
i see nothing wrong in one being a housewife. it depends of the situation and the understanding. If u have a billionaire husband who can comfortably pay u more than whatever u earn as income going out evry morning and returning home late, and u've got kids to cater for, and Mr. man says, just take care of my home and my kids, there is nothing wrong with it.

there is nothning like a woman being more real than the other because the other is ahousewife
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by netotse(m): 1:13pm On Jun 22, 2009
actually er'thing boils down to understanding and communication, in some relationships the wife agreeing to stay  home and "play housewife" would signal the begining of the end of the marriage as they know it cos she cld start to resent the husband(and heaven knows the poor not-so-innocent child) for truncating her career/future imho there really is no right answer to that question! u jst hv to balance your situation!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Omolola1(f): 1:15pm On Jun 22, 2009
yea right.

but i can't be an housewife, NO WAY! why did i go to school, why do i have my certificates? TO WORK! TO BE INDEPENDENT! and not to rely on any man! For God's sake, anything could happen.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by netotse(m): 1:20pm On Jun 22, 2009
Omolola1:

yea right.

but i can't be an housewife, NO WAY! why did i go to school, why do i have my certificates? TO WORK! TO BE INDEPENDENT! and not to rely on any man! For God's sake, anything could happen.

lol. . .it just might 'do u like film trick'
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by otukpo(f): 1:29pm On Jun 22, 2009
Being a house wife does not mean the woman is idle except there are no kids involved. Taking good care of the home and the kids is not as easy as some ppple think it is. It is always good for a mom to have some time for the kids. I am not a house wife, but if situation arises for me to be, and that is for the interest of my kids and home, no qualms
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Rocky09: 1:32pm On Jun 22, 2009
I have nothing against being a housewife but I can not see myself in that position. I am too Ambitious and Independent. I like the idea of going out there and making my own money. I think a husband will better respect a wife that makes her own money than a woman that relies on him for everything. I do not care If I marry a billionaire, I will never be a housewife. I will be out there doing what "real women" do.
Excuse me, baby.U wanna want to do ,what real woman wanna do.Check well well, what real woman is really doin, then talk your words.
If u r so much Ambitious, then y u getting married.Stay single n carry your wahala go, till thy kingdom come.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by emiemi(f): 1:32pm On Jun 22, 2009
oyinda.:

Me agree wiv u oyin!
@post
Using myself as an example, I wouldn't want to be at home considering my nature. It will negate my personality. I don't mind earning just few bucks or doing my own lil biz so far I get to do it. It creates a sense of esteem and responsibility for me. I am one person that doesn't really know how to ask for money, hence I will b at a loss. Different people with their diff personalities and choices sha but it doesn't make one less of a real woman. As long as there's agreement between the  man and da woman. That's d 'KOKO". OTHO, if I weigh the needs of my kidz to working and find out I'm much needed at home, I will sacrifice for them but find a flexible biz to run from home. Apart from this, I know of a case where the man earns much money but very irresponsible with spending. In such a case, the woamn will feel helpless becos she will have absolutely no control over his finances but if she does earns some money of her own, she'll be in a position to manage such for her family needs and plan 4 da future.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

At What Age Did You Stop Bathing Outside?? / 5 Benefits Of Having Self-love / My Husband Forgot My Birthday :-(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.