Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,711 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? (14503 Views)

Poll: Can you?

Yes: 40% (41 votes)
No: 59% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Who Wants To Be A Housewife? / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by apreshe8: 5:02pm On Jun 24, 2009
Excellent analysis Chaircover, helps to understand the different reasons why some women choose to be housewives.
Though i would prefer the term stay-at-home mom.
Cheers everyone smiley
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 5:37pm On Jun 24, 2009
apreshe8:

Excellent analysis Chaircover, helps to understand the different reasons why some women choose to be housewives.
Though i would prefer the term stay-at-home mom.
Cheers everyone smiley

I love that terminology, "stay-at-home" Mom.

The chaircover has been uncover again--- u too much jare.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by na2day2(m): 5:54pm On Jun 24, 2009
Theblessed:

Well, if I wasn't right, I challenge you to count the number of people on here who said 'No' to the idea of full-time Housewifery and cookie bakeries then, let us know the result. That way you will know you are backing the loosing horse.  The whole thing boils down to WORK LIFE BALANCE - balancing motherhood with your own self esteem, ok.

wow, illiteracy comes in all shapes and sizes these days lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by bolagun12(f): 10:19pm On Jun 24, 2009
no way!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by bestvera: 10:36pm On Jun 24, 2009
i ve tried d housewife thing, didnt work 4 me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jun 24, 2009
At  least almost everyone has mom if not all. How many of u wished ur mom were a stay-at-home-mom instead of working mom?
As for me from my experience, my mom coupled working and taking care of kids together so well that we never lacked anything as growing children and we had no housegirl at all.
And its so good for a child cos u dont need to go to dad everytime for money or anything. At least mom can help in her own little way.
Do u want to tell me that if u re working u cant take a good care of ur child? NAH I dont think so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by IGWEUSA(m): 1:00am On Jun 25, 2009
@poster

Everything boils down to the couples involved. If your hubby wants you to be a house wife and you the wife finds it reasonable for the

betterment of your family, then fine. On the otherhand, if you dont want it that way and he insists, then you can opt out of the marriage and be

the independent/career women that is more important to you. Simple and short.

FYI, there are lots of well educated women who are ready to be stay at home mums anytime any day for the good of her
Family. Money is not everything.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 1:28am On Jun 25, 2009
No one says money is everything. But money is something.
The way people are putting it is like u cant take good care of ur family and be a career woman at the same time. You must drop one for the other. "whose rule is that anyway"
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Sissy3(f): 6:45am On Jun 25, 2009
@ skyone

What's whole point of making a ludicrous amount of money while your house is not in order

and what is the guarantee that if she becomes a full time stay at home mom 24/7 that her household will be in order

like i said earlier, a good woman/wife will always be whether she's a stay at home mom or a working class woman, she will always know how to manage her home and her career and the bad ones will always exhibit it wherever they are, stay at home or working, it doesn't matter she will always be bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 6:53am On Jun 25, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I love that terminology, "stay-at-home" Mom.

The chaircover has been uncover again--- u too much jare.

Stay-at-home mom sounds worse than housewife to me.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by na2day2(m): 7:20am On Jun 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ skyone

and what is the guarantee that if she becomes a full time stay at home mom 24/7 that her household will be in order

like i said earlier, a good woman/wife will always be whether she's a stay at home mom or a working class woman, she will always know how to manage her home and her career and the bad ones will always exhibit it wherever they are, stay at home or working, it doesn't matter she will always be bad.

my friend when we marry u r stayin at home period! angry angry angry angry
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by skyone(m): 9:31am On Jun 25, 2009
chaircover:

HouseWife Type 1
Husband is very rich
She doesn't work or own a shop or do any business
Tells her husband she is going to Dubai to buy Jewellery to sell but she doesn't sell any and ends up using them herself
Rarely supervises the cook or go to the market
Doesn't do any housework
Spends day in her friends shops, at the salon, gym, shopping, gisting
Does not contribute financially to the family purse

HouseWife Type 2
Educated
Got married, fell pregnant had a baby but decided not to go back to work after the baby because she didn't trust anyone well enough to look after her "new" husband
Does not contribute to the family purse

HouseWife Type 3
Works from home e.g. Fashion designer, Hat maker, bead maker, Caterer, Writer, Runs internet business etc
Contributes to the family purse

HouseWife Type 4
"forced" to stay at home by low esteem husband who is scared that other men in the office will maul his wife; after all that's what he does to his secretary's and all those young youth corpers serving in his office
The wife is resentful & nags at the husband every other day anyway.

HouseWife Type 5
Lazy and doesn't want to work. Spends all day on the phone chatting, gossiping and causing mischief.

HouseWife Type 6
Chosen to devote her life to her family for a period of time until the kids start school and can look after themselves.
Husband doesn't earn mega bucks but she chooses to cut her coat according to her size and downsize for a number of years until she can go back to work.

HouseWife Type 7
Victim of circumstance due to illness, redundancy etc

These are all I can think of for now

What a very good post, not some on this post that have allowed civilisation to brainwash them ( over my dead body, never, i can never never, because i'm selfish, ). Keep it up sister.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by skyone(m): 9:35am On Jun 25, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ skyone

and what is the guarantee that if she becomes a full time stay at home mom 24/7 that her household will be in order .

Here's the answer

chaircover:

HouseWife Type 1
HouseWife Type 2
Educated
Got married, fell pregnant had a baby but decided not to go back to work after the baby because she didn't trust anyone well enough to look after her "new" husband
Does not contribute to the family purse

HouseWife Type 3
Works from home e.g. Fashion designer, Hat maker, bead maker, Caterer, Writer, Runs internet business etc
Contributes to the family purse

HouseWife Type 6
Chosen to devote her life to her family for a period of time until the kids start school and can look after themselves.
Husband doesn't earn mega bucks but she chooses to cut her coat according to her size and downsize for a number of years until she can go back to work.
[

cant be bothered again so hope this should do anyway  sad
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by kok(m): 9:44am On Jun 25, 2009
Housewife Type 3 and Type 6 is my kind of woman shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by trulyopal(f): 11:05am On Jun 25, 2009
I repeat if u cant b there 4 a child, simply dont give birth to it. just go and continue pursuing your career . Anyway not everybody is maternal, but the idea of having half baked motherhood can never be justified. A child that grew up with his mother always around him/her can never be thesame as a child whose mother is absent. simply because our mothers did motherhood/ carreers doesnt automatically make it right. Deep inside our hearts we wish they were there when we were growing up.Moreover the dilemmas a growing up child is facing today is a nightmare compared to when our mothers were bringing us up.Every normal woman wants 2 give her child more than her mother gave to her.
LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JJYOU: 11:16am On Jun 25, 2009
truly-opal:

I repeat if u cant b there 4 a child, simply dont give birth to it. just go and continue pursuing your career . Anyway not everybody is maternal, but the idea of having half baked motherhood can never be justified. A child that grew up with his mother always around him/her can never be thesame as a child whose mother is absent. simply because our mothers did motherhood/ carreers doesnt automatically make it right. Deep inside our hearts we wish they were there when we were growing up.Moreover the dilemmas a growing up child is facing today is a nightmare compared to when our mothers were bringing us up.Every normal woman wants 2 give her child more than her mother gave to her.
LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD
amen and God bless you for telling it. some people make being human being difficult.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by origina9ja(f): 11:27am On Jun 25, 2009
i cant be a full housewife
what for
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 12:49pm On Jun 25, 2009
truly-opal:

LET THE TRUTH BE TOLD

I so much disagree with you.
Just cos a mother is always around the child dont mean the child will come out the best, such are the kids that will grow up and being dependant on Mama, cos all they know is Mama helping them and wiping their a$$ when they shd be whipped.
Also, just cos a woman has gone to work all day doesnt means she cant take care of the kid and raise a wonderful kid, common now, let us face reality, i am sure must sistas here will hate to marry a man that runs to Mama at every down and up times, and it is always the case, when Mama is always around, i call those half baked men and women.
So there are 2 sides to the coin, it is up to us all to look at the picture there and chose what is best from both sides.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by trulyopal(f): 3:50pm On Jun 25, 2009
@fhemmy

So u dont want ur child 2 end up too dependent on u? but its o.k to drop him off with aunty God knows who, from God knows where, that is likely to maul, molest ,bully ur child. clingy children is not a resultant of a mother's presence but a sence of insecurity which i believe a child that is exposed to so many issues outside home at an early age is prone to.
Most proffessional women around d globe are opting for more post delivery holidays and working hour reductions if they have young kids, why should they bother if its not important.
Women will never be men. children will always NEED their mother more than their fathers, and the word NEED here refers to training and guiding d child in every step of the way
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by trulyopal(f): 4:02pm On Jun 25, 2009
This post has clearly shown us the type of family values the new generation Nigerians have.
Yes, i agree its not ideal for a woman to let her hard earned degree to waste, particularly in a country like ours, where numerous women dont hav d oppurtunities you have. But the issue is this, is the need to justify that hard earned certificate surpasses the moral integrity of your kids and the stability of your home?
Im not sayin a medical doctor shld stay at home and be a housewife.No, but she can work in an enviroment that will permit her flexibility to be there 4 her family particularly the kids that are young. The moment they get old enough (like secondary sch) u can chase the moon if u want.
There are certain circumstances where the need to work is absolutely necessary, that cant be argued, but if not sad
All d nigerian professional women that are shouting career over evrythin, were they not d 1st to drop that career the moment oga became gov/president/vicepresident, all in the name of giving him support. What happened to career or Gov. no fit die
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 4:48pm On Jun 25, 2009
truly-opal:

This post has clearly shown us the type of family values the new generation Nigerians have.
Yes, i agree its not ideal for a woman to let her hard earned degree to waste, particularly in a country like ours, where numerous women dont hav d oppurtunities you have. But the issue is this, is the need to justify that hard earned certificate surpasses the moral integrity of your kids and the stability of your home?
Im not sayin a medical doctor shld stay at home and be a housewife.No, but she can work in an enviroment that will permit her flexibility to be there 4 her family particularly the kids that are young. The moment they get old enough (like secondary sch) u can chase the moon if u want.
There are certain circumstances where the need to work is absolutely necessary, that cant be argued, but if not sad
All d nigerian professional women that are shouting career over evrythin, were they not d 1st to drop that career the moment oga became gov/president/vicepresident, all in the name of giving him support. What happened to career or Gov. no fit die

No need to drop the kids with aunt molester, that is why there is a daycare or even Nursery.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 4:50pm On Jun 25, 2009
It is a wonder that most of these men here wants their wife to be a housewife. I have my reasons why but let me not say!!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JJYOU: 4:54pm On Jun 25, 2009
SeanT21:

It is a wonder that most of these men here wants their wife to be a housewife. I have my reasons why but let me not say!!
copy and paste how many men want their wife to be housewife.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by SeanT21(f): 5:05pm On Jun 25, 2009
JJYOU:

copy and paste how many men want their wife to be housewife.

Unless I am generalizing 2 much but from many of the post I read most men seems to be in favor.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Shentz(f): 5:24pm On Jun 25, 2009
doubt it too boring to solely stay at home fending for my family alone
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2009
*Shentz*:

doubt it too boring to solely stay at home fending for my family alone
Wont be boring, cos the man could be coming home for lunch and maybe have one for the road too.
tongue

SeanT21:

Unless I am generalizing 2 much but from many of the post I read most men seems to be in favor.

I am yet to see a man that actually said, he wants his woman to be a housewife, we have just been talking about the pros and the cons.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Hauwa1: 7:47pm On Jun 25, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Wont be boring, cos the man could be coming home for lunch and maybe have one for the road too.
tongue

I am yet to see a man that actually said, he wants his woman to be a housewife, we have just been talking about the pros and the cons.

None grin

they want their ladies to be working (bring in money), cook and clean, take care of the kids. truths be said naija men don't like housework.

if your woman is working, be willing to do dishes, wash, shop, clean house, wash toilet and bathroom, scrub, clean and feed the kids and more wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 9:10pm On Jun 25, 2009
No human likes housework, just that it has to be done.
However, i think the relationship btw the man and the woman will determine how they get it done.
i think there is fun in sharing.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by origina9ja(f): 4:09pm On Jun 26, 2009
Fhemmmy:

No human likes housework, just that it has to be done.
However, i think the relationship btw the man and the woman will determine how they get it done.
i think there is fun in sharing.
make una see as phemmmy dey do gentle man now
i hope he is like this in real life grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 6:25pm On Jun 26, 2009
origina9ja:

make una see as phemmmy dey do gentle man now
i hope he is like this in real life grin

Gentleman for where, na lie oh, na just for NairaLand oh.
Jokes apart, i hate the fact that the woman has to do everything, cos i think it is not nice and there is fun in sharing.
i think the most quality time is while in the kitchen together, while the woman is cooking and the man is doing the dishes, and trust me, one thing will lead to the other tongue
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by abdulkadir(m): 11:04pm On Jun 26, 2009
I think dre's a difference btw working, making a career and earning money/making and income.

if we are talkin about financial independence, we should be looking at financial freedom i think dats all we need which are 2 diffrent isues.

if we talk of when d woman gets dumped or d husband dies, what appens when dre is a "downsize"

i believe dat housewives or women and husbands or househusbands should be financialy free.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Consultant(f): 2:09am On Jun 28, 2009
It's interesting. I currently work full time, and my job involves a lot of travelling. Before I had kids, I would have said NEVER to being a house wife (stay-at-home mum, whatever). But now that I have two kids, the only reason why I still have this job is because my husband and I have a lot of responsibilities. My dream would be to have a job that I can do from home - maybe write, or run my own business, so that I can spend more time with my children. I feel so responsible for them, and I want to 'train them up in the way of the Lord', and that takes time and attention. That's why I admire Michelle Obama so much - giving up a high paying job and just being a mum - and looking like she's have a great time doing it.

I guess all women can't be the same, so I don't expect that all women should share my sentiments. If I did stay at home, though, I would have to be doing a lot more than housework, because God gave me these brains for a reason, and it's not just to vacuum!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Please Can A Five Months Baby Take Tea(milo And Peak Milk) / 5 Benefits Of Having Self-love / My Husband Forgot My Birthday :-(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.