Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:06 AM

Islam And My Profession - I Need Help - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And My Profession - I Need Help (7100 Views)

Islam And Obedience To Leaders / Baby Naming In Islam And The Modern Society. / Islam And Polio Vaccine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 3:11pm On Jun 22, 2009
Salam Alykun

I opened up this thread so that we can discuss how affects what we do to earn a living.

I have a little problem

My company (Jajitech) has just been called for a contract by a company. This company deals in TV game shows(sports) where users from all over Nigeria can participate by sending text messages and at the end of the day, a winner is announced.

My task here is just to create a software that queries all the people that have participated and randomly pick a winner.

Please, I am sooooooooooo confused now as alot of money is involved and is it Islamic.

I have read somewhere that I can write the software for them that its Halal but i need more explainations and clearifications.

E sa nu mi . . e jooooo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by tkb417(m): 5:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
so whats the problem?

does the Quran say u cant write programs for a sports company?
pardon me cos im slow and i cant seem to understand this piece

e jo, e explain
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Fhemmmy: 5:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
Is Islamic agains such.
If it does, then, change to other religion that will not crucify you.
A man that cant provide for his own is worse than an infidel.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by JJYOU: 5:25pm On Jun 22, 2009
javalove:

Salam Alykun

I opened up this thread so that we can discuss how affects what we do to earn a living.

I have a little problem

My company (Jajitech) has just been called for a contract by a company. This company deals in TV game shows(sports) where users from all over Nigeria can participate by sending text messages and at the end of the day, a winner is announced.

My task here is just to create a software that queries all the people that have participated and randomly pick a winner.

Please, I am sooooooooooo confused now as alot of money is involved and is it Islamic.

I have read somewhere that I can write the software for them that its Halal but i need more explainations and clearifications.

lagosboy and olabs over to you. is this about the gambling or the act of decision making?
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Jarus(m): 5:28pm On Jun 22, 2009
The aspect he seems confused about is the random thing that relates closely to gambling, knowing full well taht Islam strongly forbids participating in or aiding gambling. In other words, he's afraid of being the 'inventor' of a 'gambling tool'.

The question now: Is this 'random querying' a gamble.

I also can't answer this question but if you say you read elsewhere that it's halal(in order) and you are convinced, why not go ahead.

Allahu alam.

1 Like

Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 5:33pm On Jun 22, 2009
Jarus:

The aspect he seems confused about is the random thing that relates closely to gambling, knowing full well taht Islam strongly forbids participating in or aiding gambling. In other words, he's afraid of being the 'inventor' of a 'gambling tool'.

The question now: Is this 'random querying' a gamble.

I also can't answer this question but if you say you read elsewhere that it's halal(in order) and you are convinced, why not go ahead.

Allahu alam.

Jazakhumulah Khairan . . . !

I read that piece from a newspaper and i thought the same thing will never apply to me. Allah Akbar . . . ! because i picked up that artice that day and the brother used this same scenario as an example. I never tok it serious . . . It even says that the company u work with can send you to the sports/gambling company to conduct NEEDS assessment for what the software will look like.

Alahu Ahlam
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by kshow1(m): 5:35pm On Jun 22, 2009
javalove:

Salam Alykun

I have a little problem

Alot of money is involved as in how ?
Is islam against making money in Business  ?
Why is your organiosation in business ?
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by tkb417(m): 5:43pm On Jun 22, 2009
im assuming a muslim like you wont own shares
cos im thinking since its speculative to be buying shares, then you can say its gambling cos nobody can fortell how the shares will go with utmost certainty.

is that the case? then if  that is the case, you shouldnt be saving money with organisations that will use ur money in speculative transactions, hence, you shld pull ur money away from all banks!!

lol.

ol boi, i tire for u o grin
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 5:56pm On Jun 22, 2009
tkb417:

im assuming a muslim like you dont won shares
cos im thinking since its speculative to be buying shares, then you can say its gambling cos nobody can fortell how the shares will go with utmost certainty.

is that the case? then if that is the case, you shouldnt be saving money with organisations that will use ur money in speculative transactions, hence, you shld pull ur money away from all banks!!

lol.

ol boi, i tire for u o grin

sighs . . .!
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by noetic2: 6:10pm On Jun 22, 2009
javalove:

Salam Alykun

I have a little problem

Whaoo. I cant believe any literate could write this. with due respect. . . . . are u educated at all?

why not just resign if u think it is halal? wonders shall never end.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jun 22, 2009
actually, the answer is simple - do not go near that which you are not sure of.

i cannot recall the exact hadith, but engaging in that which you are unsure about is like walking over a highly unstable bridge over hell - you don't want to do it.

that said, Prophet Muhammed PBUH told the believers that those comin after them would do but a fraction of what they did and still enter al Jannah - i guess he was referring to the fact that these will be  times when it will be difficult if not impossible to follow everyrthing that is laid down in the Quran.

You know the right thing to do , but finding the will to do it is another question entirely , especially as jobs are not exactly growing on trees.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 6:23pm On Jun 22, 2009
my muslim brothers and sisters, please lets not get carried away by some people's comments on this thread.

Jazaks

oyb:

actually, the answer is simple - do not go near that which you are not sure of.

i cannot recall the exact hadith, but engaging in that which you are unsure about is like walking over a highly unstable bridge over hell - you don't want to do it.

that said, Prophet Muhammed PBUH told the believers that those comin after them would do but a fraction of what they did and still enter al Jannah - i guess he was referring to the fact that these will be  times when it will be difficult if not impossible to follow everyrthing that is laid down in the Quran.

You know the right thing to do , but finding the will to do it is another question entirely , especially as jobs are not exactly growing on trees.

May Allah increase you in knowledge. May Allah make it easy for me and all of us.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by tpiah: 6:25pm On Jun 22, 2009
refer the business to a non-Muslim, I'm sure they'll thank you for it.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by MUZBO(m): 6:41pm On Jun 22, 2009
@javalove, I understand your plight! Allah knows I won't have thought about it this way- wo I will even make a software that would be able to pick the number of the poorest entrant as winner whether he's right or not. I'll feel better that way.lol.
Why not make a software that would pick say the first correct entry or something less random- though it could be a breech of contract if you don't do exactly what you are told.
If you can't find a midway and it is concluded it is Haram, then let someone else get all the money.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Bellini: 6:50pm On Jun 22, 2009
Mr man think twice, money is not everything o. I was in a similar situation like u last year when i was offered a job as a deputy financial controller in a gaming company. I rejected the offer because it's against God's will for me. My advice to you pray to God for guidance and dont be a destroyer

1 Like

Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 7:29pm On Jun 22, 2009
noetic2:

I cant believe the raw display of ignorance exhibited on this thread by the faithful slaves of allah.

u guys wished u had our laws. a law that guides every aspect of ur lives
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by congoshine(m): 7:35pm On Jun 22, 2009
One thing I have come to realise is that Nigerians are probably the most religious people in the world (christians & muslims) & yet the country hasn't moved forward. shocked shocked shocked please leave your beliefs aside,shouldn't this be cause for concern ?

Both Muslims & Christians create rules they assume God will be happy with,bind themselves to those rules & assume that will get them to 'heaven' even if they continue to live miserable lives here on earth.

The assumption is that 'THe OTHER PEOPLE' (i.e those not following these rules;in this case of Christians -muslims & vice versa) will not make it to Heaven,but you due to some Divine providence will make it becos u have kept to these rules.

I feel most people may be deceiving themselves,becos the impression u get is that all those not applying religious beliefs the way you or your imam or pastor see it means they (the other people) are not worthy of heaven. You may be in for a shocker !!! shocked shocked shocked
God created all  and don't feel you are somehow 'special'. We have about 3 billion non-christians/non-muslims between China & India- so they are all doomed

My suggestion to you: if the business is a legitimate business in the country you operate, please work hard there to take care of your family, until you get something better, don't do something irrational in the name of 'what you think God wants' that you will continue to regret.
I remember while I was serving, some pastor came to us in NYSC CAMP and said as Christians we must not take jobs in breweries etc, I was just wondering then, with all the responsibilities I had & everyone looking up to me back home that I should reject a good offer from NBL
It’s a different case if  your conscience isn’t with it, like I personally don’t think I can work for any tobacco company, however  if I get a really good offer that will change my life. . .  .why not ?!
So please learn to separate your religion from economic matters because NO ONE has all the answers, not me ,you ,my pastor nor your mullah !!
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 7:47pm On Jun 22, 2009
congoshine:

One thing I have come to realise is that Nigerians are probably the most religious people in the world (christians & muslims) & yet the country hasn't moved forward. shocked shocked shocked please leave your beliefs aside,shouldn't this be cause for concern ?

Both Muslims & Christians create rules they assume God will be happy with,bind themselves to those rules & assume that will get them to 'heaven' even if they continue to live miserable lives here on earth.

The assumption is that 'THe OTHER PEOPLE' (i.e those not following these rules;in this case of Christians -muslims & vice versa) will not make it to Heaven,but you due to some Divine providence will make it becos u have kept to these rules.

I feel most people may be deceiving themselves,becos the impression u get is that all those not applying religious beliefs the way you or your imam or pastor see it means they (the other people) are not worthy of heaven. You may be in for a shocker !!! shocked shocked shocked
God created all  and don't feel you are somehow 'special'. We have about 3 billion non-christians/non-muslims between China & India- so they are all doomed

My suggestion to you: if the business is a legitimate business in the country you operate, please work hard there to take care of your family, until you get something better, don't do something irrational in the name of 'what you think God wants' that you will continue to regret.
I remember while I was serving, some pastor came to us in NYSC CAMP and said as Christians we must not take jobs in breweries etc, I was just wondering then, with all the responsibilities I had & everyone looking up to me back home that I should reject a good offer from NBL
It’s a different case if  your conscience isn’t with it, like I personally don’t think I can work for any tobacco company, however  if I get a really good offer that will change my life. . .  .why not ?!
So please learn to separate your religion from economic matters because NO ONE has all the answers, not me ,you ,my pastor nor your mullah !!

Islam ls a way of life to us muslims

1 Like

Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by rasputinn(m): 7:50pm On Jun 22, 2009
javalove:

Away with the contradictions please,if you're so well guided,methinks you shouln'td have created this thread undecided undecided
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by ayinba1(f): 7:52pm On Jun 22, 2009
@javalove

Dear brother,

May Allah strenghten you. Please be not distracted by the non muslim advice on this board. I will stay on the side of being safe only for Allah's sake and I can assure you that in a short while, insha Allah, you will tell us of a better deal/job that came up
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by congoshine(m): 8:06pm On Jun 22, 2009
ayinba1:

@javalove
Dear brother,
May Allah strenghten you. Please be not distracted by the non muslim advice on this board. I will stay on the side of being safe only for Allah's sake and I can assure you that in a short while, insha Allah, you will tell us of a better deal/job that came up
You are definitely entitled to your opinion dear ayinba,but these are the kind of vague answers that don't resolve anything.My advice isn't a religious one. Despite the fact that we(both Christians&Muslims) try to believe our religions can solve all problems. . . .they don't, if not nigeria wouldn't be where it is today. We have all being raised into believing no other person can offer advice ,I think this is wrong & unhelpful.

So,give concrete advise not vague general statements.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 22, 2009
javalove:

a law that confuses? No thanks.

- Do you put your money in a bank? Well take it out, the money is used by the bank to generate more money (usury).
- Do you invest in the stock market? That's against allah's rules.
- Dont dare write that software package even if it costs you your job . . . you know allah's "laws.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jun 22, 2009
ayinba1:

@javalove

Dear brother,

Is this your advice? It may cost him his job . . . you people seem to be in dreamland.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Lagosboy: 8:25pm On Jun 22, 2009
I have a few questions. Do people pay some money before they could be randomly picked to win a prize? If they dont pay any money or contribute the pot out of which a random person takes it all then it cannot be termed gambling.

On the other hand the contract of employment you have is between you and your company and not the gambling company. You will be creating a program with a defined specification and whatever it used for is not your business as what your being paid for is the program. You will not be involved with the gambling company as in you will not be running the gambling business for them and your not working for the gambling company either.  For you to be involved in gambling you either have to be the gambler, the gambling proprietor, or involved in the running of the gambling business.

You will be in the same category as the producer of the cement, block , funriture in the buliding of the gambling company. The producer of the cement cannot be termed to be involved in haram or the manufacturer of the furniture in the gambling company. Likewise the supplier of the computers at at the gambling company cannot be termed to involved in the gambling business. I believe you fall in this category and in my humble opinion there is no issue with it at all.

Wallahu a'lam
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by dominictj(m): 8:30pm On Jun 22, 2009
May the Almighty protect us all in this trial time.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by horny4u(f): 8:34pm On Jun 22, 2009
Hey Nairalanders are cultured and respect other people religion, Please lets respect the posters religion.
1st of i respect your quest to do it right according to the Allah will, i am not a muslim though, but i believe in God,
2ndly will this software destroy please donot be fanatical about it, if it will destroy others make them lose thier funds and make families miserable my brother desist,
If it will be just a fun thingy why not, go ahead
its noble to strive to do Gods will and thier is a wealth of knowledge in both tthe quran and the bible but fanaticism is a  sin oh.
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jun 22, 2009
Lagosboy:

I have a few questions. Do people pay some money before they could be randomly picked to win a prize? If they dont pay any money or contribute the pot out of which a random person takes it all then it cannot be termed gambling.

On the other hand the contract of employment you have is between you and your company and not the gambling company. You will be creating a program with a defined specification and whatever it used for is not your business as what your being paid for is the program. You will not be involved with the gambling company as in you will not be running the gambling business for them and your not working for the gambling company either.  For you to be involved in gambling you either have to be the gambler, the gambling proprietor, or involved in the running of the gambling business.

You will be in the same category as the producer of the cement, block , funriture in the buliding of the gambling company. The producer of the cement cannot be termed to be involved in haram or the manufacturer of the furniture in the gambling company. Likewise the supplier of the computers at at the gambling company cannot be termed to involved in the gambling business. I believe you fall in this category and in my humble opinion there is no issue with it at all.

Wallahu a'lam

this is just an wishy-washy attempt to skirt around the truth.

Whether they paid money or not - a lucky draw is GAMBLING. There is no two explanations for it.

Whether or not he has a contract with the company or not, he's the one designing the software with the obvious intent to GAMBLE.

You want to pretend around that again? Muslims!
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by tkb417(m): 8:36pm On Jun 22, 2009
May the Almighty protect us all in this trial time.
is this a trial?

what do you call a situation where someones been looking for a job for 5 years? multiple trials shey?
u berra hold ur job b4 poverty finish u grin
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 8:36pm On Jun 22, 2009
Lagosboy:

Wallahu a'lam

Thanks. May Allah increase u in knowledge. I run the company (www.jajitech.net). You are absolutely right. I'm not part of their company . . . and l i will do si to write the program for them.

YES people send in SMSses which costs money.

And the same thing can be said of a bricklayer taking part in church  building . . .

May Allah guide us all
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 8:40pm On Jun 22, 2009
horny4u:

Hey Nairalanders are cultured and respect other people religion, Please lets respect the posters religion.
1st of i respect your quest to do it right according to the Allah will, i am not a muslim though, but i believe in God,
2ndly will this software destroy please donot be fanatical about it, if it will destroy others make them lose thier funds and make families miserable my brother desist,
If it will be just a fun thingy why not, go ahead
its noble to strive to do Gods will and thier is a wealth of knowledge in both tthe quran and the bible but fanaticism is a  sin oh.

God bless u sister

The software doesnt do harm, but as muslims, we are careful about wat and where we eat from so as not to go against the will of Allah.

Thanks for your response

1 Like

Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by MeGaStReEt: 8:57pm On Jun 22, 2009
hungry never grip u
Re: Islam And My Profession - I Need Help by javalove(m): 8:58pm On Jun 22, 2009
MeGaStReEt:

hungry never grip u

lol . . . d job aint doo or die

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ruling on Saying the Takbeer (Allaahu Akbar) loudly behind the Imam / A New Baby Born With The Holy Quran / What Is Eid Al Adha ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.