Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! (28220 Views)

My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy / My Wife Is Driving Me Crazy??? Getting Frustrated Here / My brother is driving me nut - How Should I Handle This Family Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Odunharry(m): 2:50pm On Jan 23, 2016
God knows I will give my kids more space and freedom more than I got from my parents.. pikin make wan spoil go spoil and from experience, kids whose parent act so protective are usually bad / spoilt..

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
It seems I'm the only person here who read it as a girl complaining. The treatment seems more like something parents do to girls here than men. Most men are free to make decisions at 25 or so here.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Sharmeenator(m): 2:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
Na wa ooo! Some people get cap but no head while some get head but no cap. @Op you better grow up fast and stop whinning. I see reasons in your post why your parents treat u like a kid which you really are. A lot wishes to have the opportunity of having parents that would be there for them but lack it, yet you are hating and whinning because they are being protective. Thank them because many, myself included grew up without parental care and love.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by LaRoyalHighness(f): 2:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
It ll come to pass... Grow up! That will change.. Especially when you make it.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Heineken(m): 2:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
My own dad worst op..as for me I just finished my nysc. the man can complain too much. Atyms I dey ask my mum why she open eyes marry that kind man. Just cope and make sure you have a very good result.

Only God knows that admin that banned me. Make I no talk....
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Dayshow: 2:59pm On Jan 23, 2016
let me think. Hmmmmmmmm... Yes! Murder them
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Tobbey(m): 3:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
BE patient.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Dayshow: 3:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
let me think. Hmmmmmmmm... Yes! Muurrddeerr them
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by I888(m): 3:07pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
Honestly, I never thought of my parents to be over-protective, until I spent a few days at a friend's house. It was then I realized that I've never been allowed to enjoy my teenage years and emancipate myself. I'm 20+ and in my final year in the University, but my parents (especially my dad), are extremely controlling. Apart from the constant phone calls, they still treat me like I'm a five year old. My dad hardly ever let's me drive, and even told me that he feels embarrassed if neighbors see me driving. The best I can do in this regard is to sometimes "steal" the car. Also, they are both obsessed with what other parents think about their parenting skills. Everytime we have visitors or we visit someone, he always tries to speak to me harshly as if trying to show off his strictness to other parents. I feel so disrespected and trapped. While other parents of my friends allow their kids drive, give them responsibilities, and a certain sense of freedom, I stuck with these helicopter parents that are always hovering over my life trying as much as possible to make me not to have any form of independence. I'm really beginning to hate them. Please what can I do abt this?
man, it's terrible. My mum was over protective when she as alive and I can tell anyone that it's a disaster to take such position because the child will not be able to stand on his own when you are not there. When she died, it was a HUGE problem for most of US. do whatever it takes to break away from that chain and I am glad you realised this earlier than many out there.

but do it in a respectful way.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 23, 2016
Hmmm

Young Man, I understand your plight. it's quite heart breaking to see people you love treating you like mere tin.. and even proud of it.

You are lucky to have parents bro.. They are a gift. They can be overprotective maybe because they fear to see reflections of their past in their kids. I read a comment and I bless God's wisdom in that person

Abraham did worse to Isaac. I mean almost killed him.. And Isaac was obedient till God intervened . Bro... Just remain calm. Don't lose your head and maintain a good esteem. Be hardworking and be a solution. Make them proud of u.

Don't hate dem. Pls don't. I didn't grow up wt my family and I know what family means. it's beyond now.
Always keep the feast.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by bidak(m): 3:11pm On Jan 23, 2016
@Op from your story I can't really see what your parents are doing wrong, every parents does this and that is because they always see us as that same little boy or girl and about freedom u will have more than enough Infact u get tired of it when the time comes and please don't ever say u hate your parents again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Gabaleve(m): 3:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
You will be treated based on how you present yourself.
Why do you wanna drive your parent's car ??
If you want a car, work hard and buy one and no one will tell you how to or when to drive your own car
did he talk about the car alone?...guy,u even sabi read so?
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by AspDrone(m): 3:16pm On Jan 23, 2016
I just pity the unborn children becuz with the way parents are over protective, we might over give our unborn children over freedom to counter our parents approach which might be dangerous.
Honestly, these parents are wrong by over protecting. My late mom used to be over protective but I started putting up this quite attitude dat makes me unpredictable and she started getting scared of me cuz she doesn't know what am going to do if she wants to start are helicopter watch.it worked for me sha and as for my papa, he doesn't even care. Now I miss the protection of my mom and as for my dad, I don't like him for bn too carefree. Such an irony ryt?
Am trying to say protection is good but over protection and freedom is cool but nt over freedom.
Be careful wat u wishing for?
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by franco3075q(m): 3:17pm On Jan 23, 2016
Change am 4 dem

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by prideofscience: 3:19pm On Jan 23, 2016
Just keep calm, graduate, let them get u a job and walk away
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nairadays: 3:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
When we were going through this we didn't even have an online medium like this to air our thoughts and concerns. We only by the Grace of God lived through it.

Sir am sorry to tell you this, kindly live through it. Be patient and you'll soon be done.

They know better than you; sooner or later you'll realize its the best training.

If you're a Christian, see the Bible Verse in Genesis 18:19 where God spoke about the parenting skills of Abraham.

God is full of wisdom, because he knows your type of person better than you do; and so placed you in a home where the parents will command you very well, only for one purpose to make you better.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by chris81964(m): 3:24pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
Honestly, I never thought of my parents to be over-protective, until I spent a few days at a friend's house. It was then I realized that I've never been allowed to enjoy my teenage years and emancipate myself. I'm 20+ and in my final year in the University, but my parents (especially my dad), are extremely controlling. Apart from the constant phone calls, they still treat me like I'm a five year old. My dad hardly ever let's me drive, and even told me that he feels embarrassed if neighbors see me driving. The best I can do in this regard is to sometimes "steal" the car. Also, they are both obsessed with what other parents think about their parenting skills. Everytime we have visitors or we visit someone, he always tries to speak to me harshly as if trying to show off his strictness to other parents. I feel so disrespected and trapped. While other parents of my friends allow their kids drive, give them responsibilities, and a certain sense of freedom, I stuck with these helicopter parents that are always hovering over my life trying as much as possible to make me not to have any form of independence. I'm really beginning to hate them. Please what can I do abt this?

Get a job and get your own place. Buy your own car with your own money and your parents will no longer have anything to worry about. You are a typical child of the current generation with a sense of entitlement. You are blessed with parents that pay attention to you. They care enough to call you. There are so many other kids that would welcome the attention.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by thedio(m): 3:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
@op u r very lucky to av a protective parent but it seems u dont apreciate them 'u r like a chick being protected from hawk by hen but it says she did not allow her to find her food'
my parent used to treat me the same way to d extent that they dont allow me 2 stay outside beyond 7pm but 2day im a free man.
My father 2day hardly call me,im d one doing d calling to know his well-being. My mother that used 2 beat me every week now find it difficult to call my name she now call me engineer thou im not a certified one. Make sure u graduate wit gud grade,complete ur nysc and get ursef a decent job u wil see how much luv and respect they av 4 u.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by yaki84: 3:32pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
kill them and take ur freedom.
Shebi u want to be liberated n loosed.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by DCTrendy(m): 3:38pm On Jan 23, 2016
If i hear you call them helicopter parents again ehn? u go hear weh! They made you. They tutor and nurture you to who you re today!

So just put up with them, graduate n get a job n move out, only then will u really have this your freedom u re craving for.

Abeg respect your parents o... IF you want to live long, nah Bible talk am, i just dey remind you.

Pele aburo.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Jarus(m): 3:42pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:

Thank your parent, don't hate them.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Ayobee(f): 3:47pm On Jan 23, 2016
try talk to them about it and if they still don't change...change it for them. that's what i did o
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by DedeNkem: 3:54pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:

I understand your fustration but you didn't tell us whether you have done something in the past than made them not to trust you could be responsible.

Another thing is that, as long as you still live with them, they won't let you off the hook. You must obey their house rules. Whether you like it or not, you're still their kid.

If you think you can't endure their rules while living off them, move out and live on your own. That way proves to them that you can be independent and responsible too.

But if you can't afford living on your own, then you must obey their house rules. They're still taking care of you. You may try to beg them politely to take easy on you. Let them know your fustration and show them you're responsible.

They're strict on you because they love you. They only want you to be a responsible and well behaved adult.

My beloved late dad was a very strict man. I remember when he told me, As long as you live in my house and I take care of your needs, you MUST obey my house rules. I was 16yrs old then. By the age 19, I move out and became independent. Today at 40, I tell my kids the same thing my father told me, whenever they fail to do what I want. My own version is;

I house you, feed you, clothe you, finance your studies and other needs. If you disobey my rules and regulations or my orders, I'll render you homeless and destitute within seconds!
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Dirkcoyt: 4:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
I hate parents like this! They are so stucked in some illusional socio-moral discipline. That's not parenting but utter rubbish.

When your kids start contemplating about his/her stance on you then you're a bad dad/mom!

To understand you kids,draw them nearer, know when they deserve freedom or whatnot!

I think every parent need a crash course in Child-development! Bunch of sick pyschos who are archaic in reasoning!

So dumbos here even said he will later appreciate them, yeah right, after he has totally distant himself from them. Warped ideology!

7 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Opistorincos(m): 4:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
op we dey the same condition and we are d same age range too,my parents are so overprotective they sent me to a private uni not far from my home town and he checks one me every 2 weeks plus calls from home almost everyday.the only difference between you and i is the fact that i do drive when we are on a journey to neighboring sates but not within my own town,sometimes i feel like running away from home but then my graduation is very near and after that is UNLIMITED FREEDOM
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Originalsly: 4:32pm On Jan 23, 2016
Lol...helicopter parents! Why must you drive?...do you want the neighbours and others to think your parents can't afford to have you chauffeured to wherever you want to go? ...why you want to embarrass them? ...don't you know your parents belong/believe they belong to the high society?...and you their University level son must at all times reflect that helicopter high strata of life? ...so why would you want to go and overnight with your street level friends and don't expect your parents to be upset?...highly upset?...why drag them into the gutter? Bro...your parents are your parents. ..no replacement...understand their mindset and work around it. Hate your parents?...no reason can justify that.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 4:38pm On Jan 23, 2016
This life sha.... Some people are wishing they had their parents while those who have wish to be left alone.
Op just know that are very ungrateful to God.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by blimeyVic(m): 4:40pm On Jan 23, 2016
According to the book of st.Paul chapter 1 on 1 vs 247," no man is ever free until he is financially free". Need freedom from your parents? Focus on your studies, work harder,go for your youth service,from there never look back,because those who will cross the ocean must lose sight of the shore. Be thankful always to your parents for their sacrifices though, because some peeps out there wish they have just one out of the two. Life is all about people,teams,and networks. Do you feel you have a poor network ? Review your inner circle,where are your uncles,aunts,old and new school mates,old and new friends? (Re)connect with them if you must,you will be needing them upon graduation. When your parents see that apart from the 400k salary job they can secure you,that you have a long string of options to choose from,even when less lucrative,they will start appreciating the change mantra. Dads would remember that ' nwoke tochaa o chere Ibe ya', and mums? She will discard the thoughts of forcing a particular girl on you for marriage. Take time now to develop yourself cos freedom might be tricky if you lack principles,the singular fact that will make you move back to your parent's house after cutting the umbilical cord.
The reason you feel boxed in is because the Man in you is beginning seek freedom away from the usual. Manage this feeling with wisdom while under another man's roof.
Lol! It will be unmanly to ask them to accord you some respect and freedom,and still come back in a tick asking for money to buy new school bag. So don't utter a word, just work.

#Living Off a woman,no matter the relationship,is something every Man mustn't do.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by zenith4biz(m): 5:17pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dayshow:
let me think. Hmmmmmmmm... Yes! Muurrddeerr them

You will give account of this statement on the day of judgment, repent now
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by uyisteven(m): 5:23pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:

it's not clear which one u are....A boy or a gal...if u are a gal, We do have a spare room nd ma parents are planning of adopting...
If u are boi, sowie...d supposed room just got occupied..by a gal
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by TheMadame(f): 5:27pm On Jan 23, 2016
I have got a daughter and two boys. The boys are in the university and the girl is in jss3.
As long as you live under my roof and myself and my husband slave to feed,clothe and house you-YOU WILL OBEY MY RULES!
When you get a job and start feeding yourself and realise how difficult it is to make one kobo in this country,you are free to do what you want.
@OP, your parents love and care for you but they dont want you to make the errors and mistakes they made at your age. Learn to appreciate them and understand that it is easy t complain about having no shoes,but just wait till you see a person that has no legs. Appreciate your parents,young man,it is not easy being a parent in Nigeria-take it from somebody that has been there and done that.....goodluck.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Family Insists She Must Abort Pregnancy Because Her Lover Is Yoruba - SR / Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? / ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.