Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,188 members, 7,829,251 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! (28218 Views)

My Wife And Her Family Are Driving Me crazy / My Wife Is Driving Me Crazy??? Getting Frustrated Here / My brother is driving me nut - How Should I Handle This Family Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Welcomme: 5:30pm On Jan 23, 2016
After reading this boy' s post and peoples' comment, I just feel lyk slapping this boy. Boy, I am seriously shaking my head for u. Wat is freedom without money? I gained my freedom at d age of 15, reasons being that I hav no father and my mum no strong financially. I hear and see ''ween' goin to sec and university. I had to shuttle hustling and study. Op, Se ope tie...If na d freedom u want, come and take it, me I need d protective parents.

5 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by NemzySeries(m): 5:36pm On Jan 23, 2016
d kingdom of God suffereth violence & d violent taketh by force.....ma parents are very very social especially ma dad but dere are sum issues dat u dunt jst talk wit mouth if not d'll not understand xcept u take action.....i remember in 2007 after secondary sch ma dad said no driving till I'm 18, I enta 18 e say no driving till I get admission, I kon get admission e say till I graduate....oboi I start to steal car Õoº°˚ ˚°ºoo. dem beat me tire till once day I carry 3k go meet pman say I wan do licence na so d man tire complete d money & 2day I'm d chief driver....but d most important tin is dat u shd open up to ur parent & make dem see tinz slightly frm ur view 4 once @least......do u guys hold family meeting or a social platform were d parents & kids open up deir minds?.....we do in ma hauz & na wine n pepper soup ma papa dey use flex us

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Tosman12(m): 5:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
Honestly, I never thought of my parents to be over-protective, until I spent a few days at a friend's house. It was then I realized that I've never been allowed to enjoy my teenage years and emancipate myself. I'm 20+ and in my final year in the University, but my parents (especially my dad), are extremely controlling. Apart from the constant phone calls, they still treat me like I'm a five year old. My dad hardly ever let's me drive, and even told me that he feels embarrassed if neighbors see me driving. The best I can do in this regard is to sometimes "steal" the car. Also, they are both obsessed with what other parents think about their parenting skills. Everytime we have visitors or we visit someone, he always tries to speak to me harshly as if trying to show off his strictness to other parents. I feel so disrespected and trapped. While other parents of my friends allow their kids drive, give them responsibilities, and a certain sense of freedom, I stuck with these helicopter parents that are always hovering over my life trying as much as possible to make me not to have any form of independence. I'm really beginning to hate them. Please what can I do abt this?

From your write-up. You are obviously still a kid and still need to be treated as such. Ungrateful teenagers of nowadays.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Panzerfaust(m): 5:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
The only language such parents understand is REBELLION. Don't waste your time trying to change who they are.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by toaskid(m): 6:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
XieXie:
I have seen a similar case.

You talked most about driving a car..... Let me zero in on that aspect.

There is this guy in my neighborhood, an only child in his mid 20's. He recently finished NYSC and got a job few months after.

His dad has about 3 cars but he has never washed any of those cars, talk more of seating on the drivers seat, starting the engine and driving. At such he never learned how to drive.
His dad never really allowed him access to the cars like you would expect an only child to enjoy. The dad will tell him to fetch water and keep for washing the cars, while he do the washing himself.
You wouldn't be too wrong to say he feels distant from his parents.

So my dear are you not better off in that aspect.

As for my friend.... He is saving a part of his salary and seriously looking for a house (self con) far from where his parents stay.

I will suggest you man up to your parents and tell them you don't like how they are treating, because if you never do that, they ain't stopping because to them they are doing what is best for you.

Pls and pls again don't tell me you are dependent on your parents for some of your little needs... Begin to involve in small legal hustles that will put money in your pocket, take care of some of your own little needs, sometimes buy things that will be of use to everyone in the house, take up responsibilities in organizations or groups that you are member to. Get a decent social life pls. Don't leave in a shell. The society won't give you that special treatment your parents are fencing you with.

(my friend had several leadership position during his uni days and nysc. When his parents got to see his pics as a leader or got phone calls from relatives that they saw their son's pics of being lifted up or congratulatory messages for contested post he won, they were dumbfounded because they didn't know he had such boldness)
My friend never relied on his dad to connect him to a job but walked the streets and surfed the Internet searching for jobs and thank God he got one after few months.

Above all pray don't rebel but handle it with wisdom. Others have had worse experience.

Plus God is your best friend, bro and sis if you have none.... When the feeling hurts so badly pls feel free to cry to him, tell him to look upon you and give you the strength to endure for the main time you are still with your parents.
Pray also to him to provide a friend to you that will heal the wound circumstances has confronted you with. My friend prays for a wife that will be a friend and sister to him.

And pls never entertain the thoughts of treating your parents bad in their old age. No pls don't.
My friends prayer every now and then is for the well being of his parents.

I think this post is FP worthy. Lalasticala

bro, I seriously won't mind being friends with u
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by ewizard1: 6:17pm On Jan 23, 2016
cutebobo:
OP since you are in your final year, endure till your youth service. After service, don't come back home or else the story might not change itself for a long time
Exactly migth thought... grin grin grin

I have promised i'll only call him (my dad) to say hi and ask how everything is going. Would start planning my own fatherhood from there.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Rhea(f): 6:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
Honestly, I never thought of my parents to be over-protective, until I spent a few days at a friend's house. It was then I realized that I've never been allowed to enjoy my teenage years and emancipate myself. I'm 20+ and in my final year in the University, but my parents (especially my dad), are extremely controlling. Apart from the constant phone calls, they still treat me like I'm a five year old. My dad hardly ever let's me drive, and even told me that he feels embarrassed if neighbors see me driving. The best I can do in this regard is to sometimes "steal" the car. Also, they are both obsessed with what other parents think about their parenting skills. Everytime we have visitors or we visit someone, he always tries to speak to me harshly as if trying to show off his strictness to other parents. I feel so disrespected and trapped. While other parents of my friends allow their kids drive, give them responsibilities, and a certain sense of freedom, I stuck with these helicopter parents that are always hovering over my life trying as much as possible to make me not to have any form of independence. I'm really beginning to hate them. Please what can I do abt this?

This is an opportunity for you to learn to be patient. It seems like your parents are denying you the right to emancipate and be yourself (grant you freedom to do as you please). I would advise that you focus on your studies and strive to graduate as scheduled and then get a job. When you become financially independent, you can then move out of your parents protection and free yourself. Different parents have different ways of raising their children. It is hard to judge them if you do not have a child of your own.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by ewizard1: 6:28pm On Jan 23, 2016
Welcomme:
After reading this boy' s post and peoples' comment, I just feel lyk slapping this boy. Boy, I am seriously shaking my head for u. Wat is freedom without money? I gained my freedom at d age of 15, reasons being that I hav no father and my mum no strong financially. I hear and see ''ween' goin to sec and university. I had to shuttle hustling and study. Op, Se ope tie...If na d freedom u want, come and take it, me I need d protective parents.

Its not that way you are actually looking at it...
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Barigaboy(m): 6:32pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich:
wow, I need to let u no d truth. Your parent wants d best for u. I have learn to try n understand my parent over d years. N I saw they knew abt life more than I do. If u notice, u will notice that your friends loves your matter that's d impact of parent. A friend had once felt like killing himself becos his mom told him to breakup with his ex. Which he later find out to have committed a series of abortion n also have 2 children with a man. D mother just felt the lady was a wrong choice before he later discovered n thank d mom for devising a means to separate them. U still have a long way to go. When d time comes they would surely grant u your freedom without u demanding. Don't forget that is not only your mom that his involve. U said your parent meaning they have plans for u
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 23, 2016
This is exactly one of the reasons Some females are too scared of getting into relationships and cant even maintain it and some don't even see Suitors, cos either the strict Father or Mother would have chased them awa with a cutlass, thinking they want to spoil their daughter... undecided

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by lilreese: 7:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
Smh
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Mekzmoney(m): 8:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
20+ and ur complaining.. During my late 20s,my mum was so harsh to d extent dat she always embarrass me in public with insults and all that. Even pour water on a lady dat was standing close to ma house just to say "hello".
Then I was already a graduate.

M in my early 30s now but each tym I visit home 4rm lag to see her, we would alway quarrel cos she's still harsh and very rude on me any time we're discusing. Even if I return very late at night, she would not talk to me d next day and wen she do, she wud start with insult.

So, u see? Ur parent are even beta than sum parents.. Its because dia so over protective and the always think that ur still dat litle baby.

So just play along. Its 2 late to misbehave cos of dia attitude. All u need is to finish ur studies then leave d house and hustle 4 ur self. 4get those cars and work for yours.

And finally, don't 4get ur God. Always seek him and he would always guide and favor u.
Dragovich:
Thank you very much for this great reply. The funny thing is, my brothers and I are quite well behaved and have never given them any problems. That is why I regret not being troublesome, because most of my more outspokenfriends have parents who treat them with far more respect and independence because of their being quite rebellious. Isn't it ironic?

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by lonelylove: 8:39pm On Jan 23, 2016
Lucky u that has a parent who cares n seeks for ur welfare,u have mouth to say u r beginning to hate them. Sorry to say this but u r still a kid. Lemme ask u,if dey liv u nw,cn u take care of ur needs only,like all ur toiletries alone let alone feeding ursef,imagine! Wht do u want sef, to go out n club,party with friends or ur bf abi? Keep late night ryt? Don't worry freedom go purge u soon. Sm pple wish 2 see theirs evn 4 two seconds. U need to grow up n ask for wisdom. May God guard u
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Bizzyliss(m): 8:44pm On Jan 23, 2016
If they are driving u crazy pls match brake with care ooo
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Aybamdbay(m): 9:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
I also had same issue. Bt overcame it by staying where I presently. Bt still my phone keeps ringing. At least, I have free of mind. Anyways, You just hv to take in with them. I believe they dnt hate u.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by CioAngels(f): 9:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
You cannot hate your parent becos they are building you for future. Let me ask you, does your not driving a car make you less a man that you are growing into? The biggest make you will make is going to look for friends in the wrong places. You are not working yet and someone suggest to get selfcnn, don't make the mistake that you will regret for life. If you get a job today or even next year you will still leave with your parent, qed. Well, or else you get a job out of the state you are, but don't be too sure this will be a visa for independent. Your parent cares and loves you. You are lucky aren't you.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Kayswat(m): 10:44pm On Jan 23, 2016
See this one oooo, your own matter still better now. I'm usually his hand bag to saloon every Sunday making me scrap all what's on my head and it will be as smooth as my laps
My graduate sister still had ten strokes of cane this evening cos she didn't pick his call and also didn't tell him she's gonna register her sim
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by akuracy(m): 11:02pm On Jan 23, 2016
sickstars:
Welcome to my world cry

U cant do anything bou it till u old enof to b living independentely so ryt now all u need do is endure like me
I keep seeing you everywhere I go like Mtn
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by obibanks: 11:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
Dragovich, don't mind all this people telling you not to express your feelings. It's true your parents are treating you in the way they "think" is best for you, but you should know what is best for yourself. It's not your parents that will live your life for you. Just try and start hustling & earning "legally"
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Goridoe(m): 12:25am On Jan 24, 2016
darkenkach:
Make sure you graduate with a good result if not that house will be a living hell for you.

[size=14pt]lol, leave ahm, when dem buy cage for ahm, hin go know wetin sup[/size]. grin grin grin grin
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Goridoe(m): 12:27am On Jan 24, 2016
Kayswat:
See this one oooo, your own matter still better now. I'm usually his hand bag to saloon every Sunday making me scrap all what's on my head and it will be as smooth as my laps
My graduate sister still had ten strokes of cane this evening cos she didn't pick his call and also didn't tell him she's gonna register her sim

kikikikiki, omo this one pass me gidigan ... ano fit to laff cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy ur papa na soldier?
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Goridoe(m): 12:29am On Jan 24, 2016
Welcomme:

[size=14pt]LOBATAN... one man's food, na another man's poison.![/size]

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Nobody: 5:02am On Jan 24, 2016
Look @ this OP moaning about "not being allowed to drive a car". Smh. Kids of nowadays....sha. Go out there and see how many families can't boast of eating a good meal per day talkless of having a car. And by the way, you'd appreciate your parents' efforts and seeming strictness in the nearest future, prolly when you have children of your own.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Welcomme: 5:12am On Jan 24, 2016
Goridoe:

[size=14pt]LOBATAN... one man's food, na another man's poison.![/size]
Naso my brother
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Kayswat(m): 9:36am On Jan 24, 2016
Goridoe:

kikikikiki, omo this one pass me gidigan ... ano fit to laff cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy ur papa na soldier?
Hin own pass soldier own, that always baffle my mind that if this man now happen to o be a soldier nko?
I've got nothing against him after all he is my father. My going home from school self is once in a year or once in 2 years, I always endure the little time I do spend with him
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Dom2020: 9:38am On Jan 24, 2016
guy ur parents mean well for u, you don't have to hate them. somehow the re trying to protect u base on their own upbringing, all u have to do is endure and strive to be the best in whatever u do. by so doing u'll make them proud and the will relax knowing the make u the man that the want u to be, pls, pls do not compare ur parents to other parents. The all grew up in different environment with different upbringing.
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by U2ice(m): 9:41am On Jan 24, 2016
XieXie:
I have seen a similar case.

You talked most about driving a car..... Let me zero in on that aspect.

There is this guy in my neighborhood, an only child in his mid 20's. He recently finished NYSC and got a job few months after.

His dad has about 3 cars but he has never washed any of those cars, talk more of seating on the drivers seat, starting the engine and driving. At such he never learned how to drive.
His dad never really allowed him access to the cars like you would expect an only child to enjoy. The dad will tell him to fetch water and keep for washing the cars, while he do the washing himself.
You wouldn't be too wrong to say he feels distant from his parents.

So my dear are you not better off in that aspect.

As for my friend.... He is saving a part of his salary and seriously looking for a house (self con) far from where his parents stay.

I will suggest you man up to your parents and tell them you don't like how they are treating, because if you never do that, they ain't stopping because to them they are doing what is best for you.

Pls and pls again don't tell me you are dependent on your parents for some of your little needs... Begin to involve in small legal hustles that will put money in your pocket, take care of some of your own little needs, sometimes buy things that will be of use to everyone in the house, take up responsibilities in organizations or groups that you are member to. Get a decent social life pls. Don't leave in a shell. The society won't give you that special treatment your parents are fencing you with.

(my friend had several leadership position during his uni days and nysc. When his parents got to see his pics as a leader or got phone calls from relatives that they saw their son's pics of being lifted up or congratulatory messages for contested post he won, they were dumbfounded because they didn't know he had such boldness)
My friend never relied on his dad to connect him to a job but walked the streets and surfed the Internet searching for jobs and thank God he got one after few months.

Above all pray don't rebel but handle it with wisdom. Others have had worse experience.

Plus God is your best friend, bro and sis if you have none.... When the feeling hurts so badly pls feel free to cry to him, tell him to look upon you and give you the strength to endure for the main time you are still with your parents.
Pray also to him to provide a friend to you that will heal the wound circumstances has confronted you with. My friend prays for a wife that will be a friend and sister to him.

And pls never entertain the thoughts of treating your parents bad in their old age. No pls don't.
My friends prayer every now and then is for the well being of his parents.

I think this post is FP worthy. Lalasticala

Dat ur neighbour is not d only child,he's d second the car is d 1st
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Olawale995(m): 2:05pm On Jan 24, 2016
Well if they are driving you crazy, get out of the bus!
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by ManuelRichard(m): 3:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
U really wanna know what u should do?

ANS: Since u think u r martyred n need d necessary level of freedom n space...,why not call a meeting..lols

call them up,sit with them,beging by appreciating them,then express yourself and have a meaningful dialogue....about the whole ish..

But again,I believe u can earn their trust n confidence by d level of maturity u show in dealings,attitude and decisions....n did will in turn earn u ur needed space..
except u ain't as ready as u claim...u can't b matured only in ur own eyes...or because u r seeing ur mates....n dia parents...
D world n ur parents will know when u r matured enough....lemme leave u here...4more cancelling,Manuel Ovie is my name..can chat me up on fcbk
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Jennystyle(f): 9:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
Am a graduate in my mid twenties, my curfew at home is 7pm, I cant sleep out or travel for a friends wedding, things i have to endure, till I get a job and leave their house, or better still get married.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by Prechicliff(f): 10:35am On Jan 25, 2016
eyaaa..just endure
Re: My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! by XieXie: 2:47pm On Jan 25, 2016
U2ice:

Dat ur neighbour is not d only child,he's d second the car is d 1st
lols.... You may be right.... But he has moved on a long time ago and counted all those things he was denied as nothing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Family Insists She Must Abort Pregnancy Because Her Lover Is Yoruba - SR / Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? / ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.