Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? (23020 Views)

Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell" / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by goodguy(m): 11:01am On Nov 11, 2005
@Enigma, Ok then.. but what will you say to those bible verses that specifically warn against drinking alcohol? (Judges 13:4, Luke 1:15). Let's look at it from this perspective: Those who were warned to stay away from alcohol turned out to be great men of their time. Also, let's look at the reasons given to them.
For Samson's mother: Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink,... and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines. (Jugdes 13: 4, 5).
For John: For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost,...

However, we all know there are some contradictions in the Bible. It was the same God that supported war in the Bible that also says we shouldn't kill and that we should love our neighbours as ourselves..

It's just about doing what is right... (or common sense as whocares said)..
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by lioness(f): 11:43am On Nov 11, 2005
I believe i referred that to whizkid but since u know so much and u want to take it upon your shoulders and act "Jesus of Nazareth part 20, tell me now........   Acts 19:6 - And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

So why you [whocares] say speakingin tongues is jibberish?

[I am not a bible guru, but i'm sure there is a bible passage that says the gift of the holy spirit is different for
different people...speaking in tongues, healing etc/quote]
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by whocares: 12:16pm On Nov 11, 2005
I said that in jest, but the truth is most people that speak in tongues FAKE IT.

I refuse to believe that the evangelist who uses his church as a 'money making' business, is annointed by the holy spirit to speak in tongues.

BTW, why is that the first thing people do when they are 'publicly' saved?
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by fabian(f): 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2005
That'n not always true oh!
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by Enigma(m): 2:44pm On Nov 11, 2005
@ goodguy

The answer to your question is extremely simple.

The summary is this: the Bible is against drunkenness but does not make a general prohibition of drinking alcohol.

But to give further details: for some people it is better whether for spiritual reasons or otherwise not to drink alcohol at all. For instance, some specific people were told not to drink alcohol at all. But apart from those few specific people, the Bible does not prohibit others from drinking alcohol in any circumstances, it simply warns against drunkenness.

Jesus Christ Himself drank alcohol, which is why some people abused Him as a "wine-bibber"; if what He drank was not alcoholic, the accusers would not have been able to make the abuse. Secondly, the wine that they drank at supper, including the last supper was alcoholic wine; this is demonstrated by the fact that some Corinthian Christians got drunk on wine for what we now call "Holy Communion" (Read 1 Corinthians 11 and see where some got drunk on the wine used for commemorating the last supper). In his letter to Timothy (1 Timothy 5:23), the apostle Paul told Timothy to use a little wine for his stomach. In other places, the Bible simply said that elders, pastors etc should be people "not given to much wine". So you will not find a place in the Bible where it says everyone or every christian, if you like should never drink alcohol. The rules are man-made.

Yes, agreed some people should not take alcohol at all because it is not good for them spiritually (e.g. some leaders) or otherwise (e.g. people who have a disposition to alcoholism). Even for others who are moderate, there should be times when they will desist for a particular reason: e.g. fasting, devotion etc or in order to help another person ("not to make a brother stumble"wink who may be disposed to alcoholism and to set an example. All of that is fine. The thing not to do is to claim what the Bible does not say. And the Bible does not say everyone must not drink alcohol.
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by rihanna(f): 8:36pm On Nov 11, 2005
catholics believe in being born again. i am a catholic and i'm born again.
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by goodguy(m): 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2005
rihanna:

catholics believe in being born again. i am a catholic and i'm born again.
SIMPLE!! This is a very straight forward answer!
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by otokx(m): 5:28pm On Nov 12, 2005
thank you rihanna, was wondering where all this argument will lead us to.
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by EddyTells(m): 4:09pm On Nov 13, 2005
it will lead us to heaven grin

So catholics are actually born again too undecidedhmmmmm interesting ......................but why ............
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by allonym: 9:55pm On Nov 13, 2005
goodguy is funny.

So, explain to us why Jesus himself would turn water into wine? Or why he would have wine at his last supper?

Or are you telling us that God is saying "You cannot have a drink. . . unless its with my Son!"
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by goodguy(m): 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2005
I think Enigma has responded to my post well. smiley
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by lioness(f): 9:03am On Nov 14, 2005
Why what again

[So catholics are actually born again too undecidedhmmmmm interesting ......................but why ............/quote]
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by EddyTells(m): 9:12am On Nov 15, 2005
I was only wondering why they then criticize other pentecostal born agains saying that "all these pentecostals make a big deal of being born again?

And do you know i recently met some catholics who said they spoke in tongues. That they are the charismatic renewal society. hahahahah catholic speak in tongues ................. yeah right grin
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by lioness(f): 9:34am On Nov 15, 2005
Eddy Tells, your cruzing for a bruzing grin
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by nferyn(m): 9:48am On Nov 15, 2005
@ Eddy Tells
Catholics have been speaking in tongues looong before there were pentecostal churches. Your denomination is a new kid on the block of Christian spiritualitly
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by EddyTells(m): 10:35am On Nov 15, 2005
i dont think so
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by lioness(f): 11:52am On Nov 15, 2005
Yeah neferyn, fill me in

[Catholics have been speaking in tongues looong before there were pentecostal churches. Your denomination is a new kid on the block of Christian spiritualitly/quote]
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by prettyH(f): 4:04pm On Nov 15, 2005
Come why r pple finding it difficult to believe a catholic can be a born again. Seei ve read through some posts and nt really impressed r catholics under attck. Pls o i'm a stunch catholic and am proud of it. In fact a born again.

With regards to speaking in tongues, pls don't forget we all have one spirit though we av numerous gifts. Aren't we all serving JESUS. If u truely r then no matter d denomination u will be able to speak in tongues.

Eddy Tells:

iSo catholics are actually born again too undecidedhmmmmm interesting ......................but why ............

Hope above clears that. Why what ? Do u mean why we r born again? Thats easy why do u want to fellowship with Christ and go to Heaven. It is a necessity.
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by nferyn(m): 12:26am On Nov 16, 2005
lioness:

Yeah neferyn, fill me in

Just a very rough timeline:
Catholic Church: +/- 300 AD
Reformation an birth of Lutheranism: 1520 AD
Pentecostal Churches: Early 1900's
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by allonym: 1:40am On Nov 16, 2005
i don't think you understand nferyn

apparently, they believe that speaking in tongues DID NOT exist in the catholic church until very recently
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by nferyn(m): 8:53am On Nov 16, 2005
allonym:

i don't think you understand nferyn

apparently, they believe that speaking in tongues DID NOT exist in the catholic church until very recently

The recent Catholic movement they're talking about is the charismatical renewal movement. They picked up a tradition that the Catholic Church left behind after the reformation
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by allonym: 9:19am On Nov 16, 2005
So, ppl, if its is not obvious to you now, the catholic church, which predates almost all other currently existing christian entities practiced speaking in tongues WAAAAY before those christian entities were a twinkle in martin luther's eyes.
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by lioness(f): 9:32am On Nov 16, 2005
Charistmatic Renewal Movement still in the catholic church?   

whats next.............catholic pentecostal mission
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by lioness(f): 9:34am On Nov 16, 2005
@ nferyn......u amaze me. How come you know so much about church history, when you dont believe in God. Even those of us who believe in God don t know this much.
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by allonym: 9:37am On Nov 16, 2005
Haha.

this is one of the most amazing things to me about christian folk.

That is all i will say about that topic

. . .i cannot resist. . .its e pluribus unum. One out of many - of the things which amaze me about christian folk. . .

ok. . enough about that. . .
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by allonym: 9:40am On Nov 16, 2005
yeah . . i'm not really one of the L O L types. . .
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by EddyTells(m): 10:37am On Nov 16, 2005
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by nferyn(m): 2:35pm On Nov 16, 2005
lioness:

@ nferyn.u amaze me. How come you know so much about church history, when you don't believe in God. Even those of us who believe in God don t know this much.

Well, coming from a country that was on the crossroads of the reformatory and contra-reformatory revolution makes you a little interested.
In the sixteenth century, there were a lot of new Christian movements springing up in the 17 provinces (what is now Belgium and Holland). They were persecuted by the so-called Spanish Fury (the Army sent by Philips 2 of Spain under Duke Alva. The northern part could break away (and is now the Netherlands). The southern part (what is now Belgium) remained under the yoke of the catholic Spaniards.

Before that struggle, what is now Belgium was one of the most advanced regions in Europe with a possible early onset of industrialization. After the Spaniards came, everything was in ruins. The population declined by 35% and in some regions close to the whole population was exterminated. Belgium remained majoritary Catholic until today. Until the late 60, Belgium was considered one of the gems on the crown of the Vatican. The society was strictly catholic, just like you currently still have in Poland and in Ireland until recently

That's where my interest comes from
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by prettyH(f): 3:30pm On Nov 16, 2005
@ lioness

yes d charismatic is still prevalent. Though not a member but i've attended a couple of their programmes and i think its cool
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by lioness(f): 5:06pm On Nov 16, 2005
kool, smiley
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by natasha: 9:11pm On Nov 21, 2005
so far no one has answered the question asked in this forum. All that is been said is that the ROman catholic church was the first church and that they believe in born again.
My questn is:
Why do u burn candles and incenses while service is on? sorry to say this, but some white garment churches in Nigeria known for being very fetish in nature do the same thing in service.
I do not also believe that the catholic church believe in being bron again, because their girls go around sleeping with every tom, dick n harry and come to church for confession on saturday. that i think encourages sin.
Finally, the Mary issue, Why do u pray thru mary. Jesus said we should pray to God in his name not thru mary.

Please i want real answers and not debunking comments or some1 telling me to read some history written in Latin
Re: Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? by nferyn(m): 9:29pm On Nov 21, 2005
natasha:

[SNIP]
Please i want real answers and not debunking comments or someone telling me to read some history written in Latin

So you mean you want instant fast food answers to complex questions? I'm affraid that those answers won't be answers at all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

ARE CERTAIN KIDS BORN WITH DREADLOCKS? / Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? / Mbaka: Buhari Working With Those Who Will Pull Him Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.