Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,028 members, 7,818,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" (34972 Views)

Tolu Ogunlesi: "I Didn't Write The Economist 'Ineffectual Buffoon' Article" / ''Tolu Ogunlesi Wrote "The Economist" Article Calling GEJ ineffectual Buffoon'' / Nigerians React After The Economist Tagged GEJ As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 28, 2016
arresa:
Buffoon...
dry!
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by flokii: 11:39pm On Jan 28, 2016
Closedoor:

Buffoon not Buffon. If you can't take charge of your spellings, I wonder if you will ever be in charge of anything tangible.

Ok!.. Mr Oxford dictionary that doesn't make mistakes with spellings

m glad you drew my attention to that (one of the most tangible thing you'll ever achieve)

you hero is nothing but a thief, a disgrace... so kill ursef if you like

2 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tsdarkside(m): 11:42pm On Jan 28, 2016
naijadeyhia:
buffoon
bəˈfuːn/
noun
a ridiculous but amusing person; a clown. A stupid person

indeed....amusing clown-in-chief....

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by TolaniLuv: 11:43pm On Jan 28, 2016
A certified Buffoon I no wish him well at all a that pig woman cuz most of ehin problem , patient ! Karma go still catch up with her. Una generation no go enjoy our money IJN

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by efficiencie(m): 11:44pm On Jan 28, 2016
Bevista:
There you have it. Treat your dad/child/wife/etc the way you want others to treat them.
---
We abuse GEJ and PMB without realizing that we are inadvertently desecrating the seat of The President, Federal Republic of Nigeria. Other Nationals now have the temerity to call a former Nigerian president a Buffoon. Would they address president Obama or Bush like that?

Sadly, this despicable tag on GEJ will resonate with a lot of Nigerians who will throng this forum to validate their prejudice, instead of them to call the newspaper to order. It is totally unacceptable for the Economist to address a Nigerian president with those words.
---
Irrespective of whatever grudges we may have, I think it's better to focus on criticizing the policies, actions or inactions of the president (GEJ/PMB) rather than hauling insults on their person.

A man who drags himself into the dirt should not be ashamed of being the companion of pigs...Yes, it is a slap on the nation as a whole that a THE ECONOMIST would make such a statement concerning a former president of a sovereign country but I believe much worse was said about Abacha and no one seemed to be bothered...Let's face it. GEJ, dragged both himself and the country as a whole into the gutter of the world, made every sensible Nigeria a laughing stock and consigned this country to a position as ignoble as can be imagined...

Right now, we need to do a damage assessment and work our way back to the place of glory we once occupied...and probably beyond!

3 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by uchennamani(m): 11:47pm On Jan 28, 2016
Bevista:
There you have it. Treat your dad/child/wife/etc the way you want others to treat them.
---
We abuse GEJ and PMB without realizing that we are inadvertently desecrating the seat of The President, Federal Republic of Nigeria. Other Nationals now have the temerity to call a former Nigerian president a Buffoon. Would they address president Obama or Bush like that?

Sadly, this despicable tag on GEJ will resonate with a lot of Nigerians who will throng this forum to validate their prejudice, instead of them to call the newspaper to order. It is totally unacceptable for the Economist to address a Nigerian president with those words.
---
Irrespective of whatever grudges we may have, I think it's better to focus on criticizing the policies, actions or inactions of the president (GEJ/PMB) rather than hauling insults on their person.
But he was an ineffectual buffoon during the pendency of his administration.

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by arresa: 11:47pm On Jan 28, 2016
free2blast:
We the honourable members of this hallowed Nairaland chamber have agreed and decided to adopt the name "INNEFECTUAL BUFFOON" for the past clueless mistake of a president called GEJ, and so shall it stick. All in support shout "HI" those that oppose shout "nay"....oh boy see shout! shocked ...abeg the HI's have it..GBAM! grin

Motion PASED and adopted as stated.

Goodluck "Buffoon" Badluck Jonathan OdeChukwu OponuChukwu Odeshilewo Of Otueke land.. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tsdarkside(m): 11:47pm On Jan 28, 2016
tpiaobsession:
besides, I dont see why they would say that when he was featured on the Jan 2015 cover:

you just dont get it...henn??............

me,i am just happy that people like you and jonathan will never rule nigeria again....

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by arresa: 11:51pm On Jan 28, 2016
Mr. Jonathan, who leads a corrupt government that has little credibility

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/07/opinion/nigerias-stolen-girls.html?_r=0

The economist was very generous grin

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Eluwilussit(m): 11:53pm On Jan 28, 2016
EdCure:
Jan 30th 2016 | LAGOS

MORE than 30 years ago, a young general swept to power in the fifth of Nigeria’s military coups since independence in 1960. The country he inherited was a mess: bled dry by pilfering politicians within and hammered by falling oil prices without. Last year that general, Muhammadu Buhari, became president again—this time in a democratic vote. The problems he has inherited are almost identical. So are many of his responses.
In the eight months since Mr Buhari arrived at Aso Rock, the presidential digs, the homicidal jihadists of Boko Haram have been pushed back into the bush along Nigeria’s borders. The government has cracked down on corruption, which had flourished under the previous president, Goodluck Jonathan, an ineffectual buffoon who let politicians and their cronies fill their pockets with impunity. Lai Mohammed, a minister, reckons that just 55 people stole $6.8 billion from the public purse over seven recent years.

Mr Buhari, who—unusually among Nigeria’s political grandees—is said to have just $150,000 and a couple of hundred cattle to his name, abhors such excess. As military ruler he jailed, fired or forced into retirement thousands of bureaucrats whose fingers had been in the till. This time, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested dozens of bigwigs, including a former national security chief accused of diverting $2.2 billion. The EFCC has a poor record of securing convictions; but a single treasury account has been introduced to try to stop civil servants siphoning off cash. And agencies which may not be remitting their fair share to the state are having their books trawled by Kemi Adeosun, the finance minister.
Such measures are doubly important because the economy is swooning along with the oil price. The sticky stuff directly accounts for only 10% of GDP, but for 70% of government revenue and almost all of Nigeria’s foreign earnings.

Oil’s price has fallen by half, to $32 a barrel, in the months since the new government came to power, sending its revenues plummeting. Income for the third quarter of 2015 was almost 30% lower than for the same period the year before, and foreign reserves have dwindled by $9 billion in 18 months. Ordinarily there would be buffers to cushion against such shocks, but Mr Jonathan’s cronies have largely squandered them. Growth was about 3% in 2015, almost half the rate of the year before and barely enough to keep pace with the population. The stockmarket is down by half from its peak in 2014.
Domestic oil producers are feeling the pinch worst. Many borrowed heavily to buy oilfields when crude was worth more than $100 a barrel, and are now struggling to pay the interest on loans, says Kola Karim, the founder of Shoreline Group, a Nigerian conglomerate. This, in turn, threatens to create a banking crisis. About 20% of Nigerian banks’ loans were made to oil and gas producers (along with another 4% to underperforming power companies). Capital cushions are plumper than they were during an earlier banking crisis in 2009; but, even so, bad debts are mounting and banks that are exposed to oil producers may find themselves in trouble. “It wouldn’t surprise me if one or two went down,” says a senior banker in Nigeria.
The government’s response to the crisis has been three-pronged. First, it is trying to stimulate the economy with a mildly expansionary budget. At the same time, it is trying to protect its dwindling hard-currency reserves by blocking imports. Third, it is trying to suppress inflation by keeping the currency, the naira, pegged at 197-199 to the dollar. Only the first of these policies seems likely to work.
The budget, which includes a plan to spend more on badly needed infrastructure, is a step in the right direction. Although government revenues are under pressure from the falling oil price, Mr Buhari hopes to offset that by plugging “leakages” (a polite term for theft) and taxing people and businesses more. That seems reasonable. At 7%, Nigeria’s tax-to-GDP ratio is pitifully low. Every percentage point increase could yield $5 billion of extra cash for the coffers, reckons Kayode Akindele of TIA Capital, an investment firm. Mr Buhari also plans to save some $5 billion-$7 billion a year by ending fuel subsidies—a crucial reform, if he sticks with it. Even so he will be left with a deficit of $15 billion (3% of GDP) that will have to be filled by domestic and foreign borrowing.

Yet his policies on the currency seem likely to stymie that. The central bank has frozen the naira at its current overvalued official rate for almost a year. The various import bans (on everything from soap to ballpoint pens) are supposed to reduce demand for dollars, but have little effect. Businesses that have to import essential supplies to keep their factories running complain that they have been forced into the black market, where the naira currently trades at 300 or more to the dollar. Several local manufacturers have suspended operations. International investors, knowing that the value of their assets could tumble, have slammed on the brakes and some have pulled money out of the country just as their dollars are most needed (see chart).
Nigeria is fortunate in having low levels of public debt (less than 20% of GDP), but it is not helped by high interest rates, which mean that 35% of government revenue goes straight out of the door again to service its borrowings. It would not take much to push it into a debt crisis.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21689584-cheap-oil-causing-currency-crisis-nigeria-banning-imports-no

But let it be remembered that only one effective buffoon(Saninegeria Abacha) stole more than these 55 persons. Yet this same General Buhari served under him and told us recently that Abacha didn't steal a kobo from our coffers. Fucck!

3 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by arresa: 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2016
Many officials and businessmen said that graft under former President Goodluck Jonathan reached levels not seen since military rule ended in 1999. Billions of dollars are believed to have disappeared from activities related to the oil industry, the source of 80 percent of all government revenues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/17/world/africa/nigeria-president-pledges-to-root-out-long-entrenched-graft.html

grin
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tpiaobsession: 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2016
tsdarkside:

you just dont get it...henn??............

me,i am just happy that people like you and jonathan will never rule nigeria again....

me and jonathan are ruling Nigeria, shey?

please stay on your meds sweetie.

In any case, as they say it means in NYSC, now your suffering continues. lolz.

abi you mean people such as myself ruling Nigeria. You must be imagining your delusions, because if people like me were in government, nairaland would not have unstable posters like yourself.
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by arresa: 11:54pm On Jan 28, 2016
Eluwilussit:

But let it be remembered that only one effective buffoon(Saninegeria Abacha) stole more than these 55 persons. Yet this same General Buhari served under him and told us recently that Abacha didn't steal a kobo from our coffers. Fucck!

^^^^^ See corruption fighting back..... grin

2 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by timunstopable: 11:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
kernel501:

APC STOP FOOLING YOURSELF, WHY POST LIES WITH A HYPERLINK THAT SAYS A DIFFERENT THING?
NIGERIANS PLEASE CHECK THE LINK, IT HAS NOTHING WITH THE ABOVE NEWS.

Stop Using Sagem to browse cos i opened the link and exactly wot was posted here was dr
Jonathan buffoon

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Jdesilentkiller(m): 12:00am On Jan 29, 2016
For a man that was controlled by women and couldn't call his own wife to order......he should be called worsed

And if you have any knowledge of USA politics you will know that they call their president even worse.....they called Bush all sort of names...they demanded Clinton head over Monica Lewinski saga...Obama was called anti-christ with his bill on health-care (Obama-care) and his wife, Mitchel, is being accused of being a man (transgender).......

Ok

and how many of you know that Sept. 11 attack is being blamed on the Gov't(the CIA planned everything!!).....

Please my people, read wide and stop saying things beyond your limited scope!!!

2 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 29, 2016
tuniski:
@op lie! So u post a 30th Jan 2016 edition on 27th abi. Another propaganda.

**** And some of you people left university without ever using 'the economist' to research anything.

These are weeklies and always carry the date of the end of the week they were released. If it comes out on this friday, it will have the date of next week friday on it. Its the same with all 'grown up' weeklies.

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Eluwilussit(m): 12:07am On Jan 29, 2016
OgbeifunErom:

Sorry I totally disagree with you!

They have used the best word to describe the worst President Nigeria has ever had.

He is nothing but a Buffoon and an inglorious fool.

What else can they call a man that presided over the greatest heist ever seen in Africa? A man that opened the floodgates of Nigeria's public finance infrastructure to all his friends all because he wanted to win a second term.

Actually, the Economist is quite liberal. For them to have qualified the retar.d called Jonathan as a buffoon, they must have access to information that supports that qualification.

I will be very happy for them to judge Buhari in same manner if he fails.

And when did it become their duty to judge Nigerian presidents? If u know how dumb the junior Bush is and his alcoholic addictions, you will not tolerate the name calling by the Economist. Whatever happened/happens in naija, is our problem. Not theirs.

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tpiaobsession: 12:08am On Jan 29, 2016
janellemonae:

Gosh ur so dumb. And some of you people left university without ever using 'the economist' to research anything.

These are weeklies and always carry the date of the end of the week they were released. If it comes out on this friday, it will have the date of next week friday on it. Its the same with all 'grown up' weeklies.

thanks for the explanation, I had actually forgotten.
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tsdarkside(m): 12:11am On Jan 29, 2016
tpiaobsession:

me and jonathan are ruling Nigeria, shey?

please stay on your meds sweetie.

In any case, as they say it means in NYSC, now your suffering continues. lolz.

abi you mean people such as myself ruling Nigeria. You must be imagining your delusions, because if people like me were in government, nairaland would not have unstable posters like yourself.

okay...please dont just lead anything.....it shall surely end in failure with people like you and jonathan....

jonathan could have been a good comedian like basketmouth....but president??...chaiiii,we don suffer....
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tpiaobsession: 12:15am On Jan 29, 2016
tsdarkside:

I shall surely end in failure with people like myself....

jonathan could have been a good comedian like basketmouth....but president??...chaiiii,I don suffer....
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by jaybee(f): 12:19am On Jan 29, 2016
tpiaobsession:
besides, I dont see why they would say that when he was featured on the Jan 2015 cover:

he was featured as a buffoon...

2 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by davidif: 12:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Mynd44:
As much as I think President Jonathan was ineffective as president, I think the Economist needs to tone it down with the name calling. Tagging him a buffoon is obviously a way to get more attention and more people to read this article which I must say does not have much (I dare say any) content.

They need to get back to writting articles they are known for like the one that made Nigerian soldiers chase after newspaper vehicles in a bid to stop them from getting to the stands in 2014(or was it 2015?). grin

And for President Buhari's supporters, dont celebrate, the economist is not known to pick sides. I can bet they will soon throw out another article to diss the president and yes, call him names.

But Buffoon though……ouch.

This is gonna strike some nerves

Please what article are you talking about 'that made Nigerian soldiers chase after newspaper vehicles?".
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tpiaobsession: 12:43am On Jan 29, 2016
jaybee:

he was featured as a buffoon...

not at all.
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by alexlee50: 1:12am On Jan 29, 2016
This is a paid write up, listing the propangada being peddled by this administration not an objective analysis of the economy from GEJ days till date
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by Shymm3x: 1:18am On Jan 29, 2016
Lmao @ ineffectual buffoon. grin

But why compare GEJ to a buffoon? I've met a few buffoons in my lifetime and they're far much more mentally developed than GEJ. Then again, I guess that was why whoever labelled him such, had to add "ineffectual" to it, just to make it sound complete. grin

Also, the person who wrote the article for the Economist must either be a yank or a black person cos Brits seldom use "buffoon" and both Economist and Financial Times are British newspapers.

6 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by bakila: 1:42am On Jan 29, 2016
Why most Igbo people carry GEJ matter for head self? Is not that he has emptied a quarter of the treasury to make the southeast better.

2 Likes

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tpiaobsession: 2:16am On Jan 29, 2016
Also,the person who wrote the article for the Economist must either be a yank or a black person

black person for sure, most likely Nigerian but could be somewhere else.

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tpiaobsession: 2:17am On Jan 29, 2016
bakila:
Why most Igbo people carry GEJ matter for head self? Is not that he has emptied a quarter of the treasury to make the southeast better.

he said he's Igbo.
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by porka: 4:03am On Jan 29, 2016
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Many Nigerians actually care more about the sound of a word than its meaning.

Buffoon sounds very big for many Buhari worshipers just like TYRANT sounds too big to describe their god.

The same Nigerians that called Jonathan CLUELESS for 5 years are the ones so frenzied about BUFFOON?

The Economist article must have been hurriedly written perhaps to meet up with production deadline. At best it's more like a tabloid post and at worst it's looks like a hack job gone awry.

There's nothing in it that has not been written by Nigerians. It doesn't offer any new insights into the economy except the dangerous assertion about the rumored collapse of a bank or two.

That's what you get when you outsource your major tasks to freelance journalists.

The CBN now has arduous tasks to assure Nigerian depositors of the soundness of the banks. If this rumor is left to fester, it won't be long before we start seeing 'imaginative minds' coming up with lists of unsound banks.

The consequences are far reaching, it would cause a run on these banks and lead to major collapse of businesses and lives. That will cause more damage to the economy at this fragile time than anything BUFFOON will cost Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by tuniski: 4:22am On Jan 29, 2016
Joarams:

You obviously don't read the Economist regularly. Fyi...it's a weekly publication circulated from Friday to the following Saturday and the date of publication is usually that of the last day of the week (Saturday)
30th is neither Saturday to mark the end of the stated period nor Friday the beginning. Whichever propaganda sha. 30th is sunday therefore futuristic. Even by your submission.
Re: THE ECONOMIST Tags Jonathan As "An Ineffectual Buffoon" by spinoff: 4:32am On Jan 29, 2016
OgbeifunErom:

Sorry I totally disagree with you!

They have used the best word to describe the worst President Nigeria has ever had.

He is nothing but a Buffoon and an inglorious fool.

What else can they call a man that presided over the greatest heist ever seen in Africa? A man that opened the floodgates of Nigeria's public finance infrastructure to all his friends all because he wanted to win a second term.

Actually, the Economist is quite liberal. For them to have qualified the retar.d called Jonathan as a buffoon, they must have access to information that supports that qualification.

I will be very happy for them to judge Buhari in same manner if he fails.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Amaechi Rejects Governor Wike's Award, Says "It's Poisoned Chalice" / Qasem Soleimani: Buhari Keeps Mum Over Assassination Of General, 72 Hours After / Osinbajo And Joseph Timiyan, The Ebenanowean Of Ogulagha Kingdom (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.