Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Are We Alone In The Universe? - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are We Alone In The Universe? (54390 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:44pm On Feb 01, 2016
SherlockWayne007:
iDoubt time travel will be possible because time itself is just an abstract concept unlike space. We can move from one point in space to another because it is physical. But time is more or less just an idea
God bless you. I have been itching to comment on the time travel comments I saw here. Its completely abstract.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 11:44pm On Feb 01, 2016
LyfeJennings:

ALLAHHHH
ALLAHHHH
ALLAHHHH WAHID
GOD BLESS YOU GUY
what the Bleep is this one saying seft the same Allah that said the earth was flat.na wa oh
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Feb 01, 2016
SherlockWayne007:
[color=#000000][/color]

There's a flaw in the calculation. Initially, you stated that X+Y+Z+T = C. Later on, you said T = C - (X+Y+Z), where X+Y+Z = C (neglecting 'T') and you got T = 0. But if X+Y+Z+T = C, then T = C - (X+Y+Z) will be T = C - (C-T). (Because X+Y+Z = C-T, not just 'C'). Therefore, T = C-C+T, which means T = T, and that doesn't prove anything

Please brother. It is better when you don't understand somthing to ask for clarification, instead of quickly talking about flaws in the calculations. Look at it again, the calculation is impeccable.

When an object O (x,y,z) is moving at the speed of the light C, then we have x+y+z = C. However For any object x+y+z+t must be = C. Therefore, in the case of an object (for instance a light proton) that is travelling at the speed of the light C, T = 0. For that object, time is not passing.

That's simple, obvious and absolutely mathematically demonstrable. There is even a scientific paradox that deals with that: It is the Twin paradox, you can google it.

Cheers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 11:49pm On Feb 01, 2016
erusen:
what the Bleep is this one saying seft the same Allah that said the earth was flat.na wa oh
Hahahahaha calm down bro lets not attack religious expressions in this thread
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by oglalasioux(m): 11:50pm On Feb 01, 2016
100 billion galaxies. Each galaxy 100 million light years across (each light year is 1 followed by 16 zeros). Nope. We ain't alone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Feb 01, 2016
LoJ:

Please brother. It is better when you don't understand somthing to ask for clarification, instead of quickly talking about flaws in the calculations. Look at it again, the calculation is impeccable.

When an object O (x,y,z) is moving at the speed of the light C, then we have x+y+z = C. However For any object x+y+z+t must be = C. Therefore, in the case of an object (for instance a light proton) that is travelling at the speed of the light C, T = 0. For that object, time is not passing.

That's simple, obvious and absolutely mathematically demonstrable. There is even a scientific paradox that deals with that: It is the Twin paradox, you can google it.

Cheers
Oh, it's much clearer now. Thanks for the clarification

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Feb 01, 2016
SherlockWayne007:
Oh, it's much clearer now. Thanks for the clarification
Don't mention. I commend your maturity. I expected to receive some insults like it is usually the case in nairaland. I'm very pleased by your reaction.

Cheers.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by sarutobie(m): 11:58pm On Feb 01, 2016
olumite1234:
I'm a Physicist. There is a universe different from ous , not even one. They are many. We call them multiverse. They are parallel to ours,our universe can only exist and stable because of this universes
Also, there is a version of us there. They life the same life we live,similar languages,climate,culture e.t.c. They also have variance of different matter like dark matter,normal matter,anti matter etc
Astro physicist are still on research on how we can reach them through wormholes or teleportation
this is what happens when you read too much DC and marvel comics..so there is another version of me in another world? like seriously?

5 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 11:58pm On Feb 01, 2016
LoJ:

Don't mention. I commend your maturity. I expected to receive some insults like it is usually the case in nairaland. I'm very pleased by your reaction.

Cheers.
Welcome to the science section.. the only place here you can have intellectual discussion without insult or prejudice ... Sadly neglected by most ...

We are mostly here to learn, i spend most of my time on Science section though lack of people to interact with here makes it hard for us

2 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 11:59pm On Feb 01, 2016
johnydon22:
Hahahahaha calm down bro lets not attack religious expressions in this thread
but wait oh the thing nor dey vex u.people just be olodo.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 12:00am On Feb 02, 2016
sarutobie:

this is what happens when you read too much DC and marvel comics..
Hahahahaha No bro Parallel universe (Multiverse) is more of a scientific hypothesis not Marvel comics
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 12:03am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
but wait oh the thing nor dey vex u.people just be olodo.
It does sometimes.. i have spent time a lot on NL religion treating many of these... Am an atheist as you may have noticed...

But when am discussing science in the "science section" i just let it slide... I saw it as just a way he expressed himself and approval based on his own set of ideas governing his general view..

I liked and shared it even though am atheistic
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by sarutobie(m): 12:08am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:

Hahahahaha No bro Parallel universe (Multiverse) is more of a scientific hypothesis not Marvel comics
nope it is still in the 'imagination' stage..no hypothesis yet..I've been reading such 'hypothesis' since my first grade, and they all end up saying one thing eventually. ..."we don't know"
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 12:16am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
It does sometimes.. i have spent time a lot on NL religion treating many of these... Am an atheist as you may have noticed...

But when am discussing science in the "science section" i just let it slide... I saw it as just a way he expressed himself and approval based on his own set of ideas governing his general view..

I liked and shared it even though am atheistic
any how shall am a deist,I believe in god but despise religion especially Islam and Hindi too unscientific, infact I wonder why people still dey that religion,I like the bible but no evidence,but I still read it becus I saw some scientific things there oh.but it is historically empty but some events have been confirmed shall, becus am deep in archeology, but am just too scientific for all those things.I guess we have entertain them to move this section forward,I just did a rethink and I think u are right oh,u go ba that girl don run comot.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 12:20am On Feb 02, 2016
sarutobie:

nope it is still in the 'imagination' stage..no hypothesis yet..I've been reading such 'hypothesis' since my first grade, and they all end up saying one thing eventually. ..."we don't know"
Hahahahahaha seems you have a different definition of hypothesis..

The bolded is exactly the point "we don't know" that is why we are trying to know... If we claimed to know we wouldn't try to know..

So "I don't know" is the face phase to begin study..
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by LawalofGod: 12:22am On Feb 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Of course we're and were never alone.

Earth has been long visited by aliens since the days of pharaoh.

What I think is the real question is why did they stop coming to earth?

Also why is it that the only ones who sees them lately are drunk asshats rednecks living in backshyte countryside?

"I don seen me an alien like" says Jehtro Dumas
i dnt hv d intent of commenting until i saw urs,
aliens still lives among humans so no need of visiting nd they are controlling the earth by planting their seed in the world leaders {reptilian races}
To support my claims, y do princess diana of wales call d windsors d reptile b4 she was assasinated, d symbol of d health bodies, y does it contain a reptilian structure, in the phaoraoic picture, serpent is not a rare sight, and so on
We are clearly nt alone....................................................
I REST MY CASE HERE, AM NT AN ATHEIST SO PLS DNT BE MISLEAD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 12:24am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
any how shall am a deist,I believe in god but despise religion especially Islam and Hindi too unscientific, infact I wonder why people still dey that religion,I like the bible but no evidence,but I still read it becus I saw some scientific things there oh.but it is historically empty but some events have been confirmed shall, becus am deep in archeology, but am just too scientific for all those things.I guess we have entertain them to move this section forward,I just did a rethink and I think u are right oh,u go ba that girl don run comot.
You can pin point things you can regard scientific in the Hindu Veda, even in the Quran in the smallest sense, Egyptain maat, sumerian texts and many other ancient works.

They were all written by humans and the ancient men had ideas of science though may be classified a bit basic.. so do not be surprised when you see things you can reconcile with scientific datas in these ancient works.

Though many are just coincidental ...
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by MrCEO69(m): 12:25am On Feb 02, 2016
The more the advance in technology the more the problem dis world will be having! #FACT.

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 12:26am On Feb 02, 2016
LawalofGod:

i dnt hv d intent of commenting until i saw urs,
aliens still lives among humans so no need of visiting nd they are controlling the earth by planting their seed in the world leaders {reptilian races}
To support my claims, y do princess diana of wales call d windsors d reptile b4 she was assasinated, d symbol of d health bodies, y does it contain a reptilian structure, in the phaoraoic picture, serpent is not a rare sight, and so on
We are clearly nt alone....................................................
I REST MY CASE HERE, AM NT AN ATHEIST SO PLS DNT BE MISLEAD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I don't think atheists even support your claims so there was no need clarifying that you are not one
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Mustiboy(m): 12:28am On Feb 02, 2016
This thread is so captivating. I'm begining to love science, imagine how much time it took me to read from page 0 . Keep it up guys, cheers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 12:56am On Feb 02, 2016
Seems like I'm late to the party.

I'll still share my thoughts on this. ..

Some thirty years ago, scientists discovered that some unknown dark substance was affecting the way galaxies moved, now that has been revised to say that in fact, there must be five times as much dark matter as are regular matter out there. We still have no idea what it is, the only thing we know is that it's not made of atoms neither is it made up of any matter we currently know of. This in fact is not the only thing we have no clue about. The main problem with our efforts so far in discovering life and exploring other planets are based on the limitations which exist as a direct consequence of our methods and in part as a result of us being who we are "humans".

Over the course of centuries, different civilisations have existed at one point or the other, with each new one either cannibalising the former or building on them. It is not far from the truth if we chose to believe the Sumerians and acknowledge the fact that man could have interacted with these superior life forms in the past. There is numerous evidence to this effect scattered across different continents and nations, from the pyramids of Gizza to the Xia tombs in China, the Mesoamerican Pyramids. One thing holds true in each of these structures, the buildings were identical without verifiable interactions between the different cultures. A curious question should be: what were they trying to achieve? The genesis of the limitations of the human race can is traced to the arrogance of some pioneers in astronomy and geometry, the refusal in acknowledging some of the works already done by these ancient civilisations, with a belief that our culture is more superior that these oldies. As much as we try to deny this, we have chosen to discard the body of knowledge existing prior to the Greco-roman civilisation.

The answers to the questions we seek already exists in nature, we just need to look inwards and change the way we look at things. This proves difficult because science, in general, is based on empirical evidence backed by an existing school of thought seeking to explain a phenomenon. Once a postulation is not based on this foundation, either by seeking to disprove an existing hypothesis as suggested by Popper using the strategy of falsification or by doing the opposite of this, it is automatically categorised as baseless and laughed at.

Until we change our dependence on the confirmation bias, through seeking to interpret or recall information in a way that confirms our beliefs and hypothesis, until we address this disdain towards contrary postulations, we continue to make slow progress on the journey to discovering the rest of the universe. A case in point is a phenomenon such as quantum non-locality which makes it possible for particles to teleport across vast distances, seeks to address the limitations of Einstein's theory of relativity by putting to rest the impossibility of time travel in the opposite direction. But the fear of getting trapped in a plethora of paradoxes and multiple universes causes a bit of hesitation, meanwhile, some ancient Hindu scrolls beliefs that this is entirely possible, thousands of years before Einstein at the end of the day, we've spent so much time disproving these ancient beliefs until recently when someone was able to prove the possibility of this.

Now let us pause for a second and image how much time we would have gained if we had an open mind about the ancient beliefs and built on them rather than spending time disproving such phenomena.

On the topic are we alone?

The answer to this is subjective depending on how we quantify what life is, which simply means that our definition of life forms might not hold true for what life is on these other planets. And beyond this possibility is the probability that these life forms might exist in a different dimension which is entirely different from ours. Simply put, there isn't an easy way to answer the question without throwing up further issues that need answers.

Now, the question should not be about the existence of other life forms on the other planets; the problem is knowing if we are looking at the right place.

cc: johnydon22

**Edited:
meccuno:
I don't think we are alone. The universe is just too big to be conquered. To conquer it is to become God which is very impossible. What I am actually against is these scientist trying to send out signals to the unknown and we become invaded by advanced beings and made to farm yam and cocoa....heard a space ship was sent to pluto to take pictures!!! Imagine the number of years it took. Mean while, I don't want to be colonised by green people. The British have done their worst already grin

The bolded got me laughing, thanks for making my day...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by LawalofGod: 1:20am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
I don't think atheists even support your claims so there was no need clarifying that you are not one
Itz more easier to understand my claims whn u think lyk an atheist.......................
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Sunnystooth(m): 1:28am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
Hindi - A language, Hindu / Hinduism - A religion... Just so you dont make the mistake next time.

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by djraymy(m): 1:35am On Feb 02, 2016
itelectual people here......all this explanations don dey make me forget my naija problems....
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 2:23am On Feb 02, 2016
dazzlingd:

a hoax as your world leaders want you to believe.

your world is like the movie matrix, there is the real world where things happen, your mind has been programmed to a fake world where the world leaders feed you with what they want you to believe.

The truth is much more complicated than u have ever thought and might ever think.

young man, open your mind
In the movie, "the matrix." morpheous is able to convince neo that the matrix is real by actually taking him out of the matrix and showing him the real world. in fact, morpheous doesn't say anything about the fact that there is a matrix until neo has actually seen the real world.

compared to that, you're just rambling.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Babacele: 2:24am On Feb 02, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

But then again, what we humans define as "basic necessities " for lifeforms to thrive upon may not be what another planet billions of lightyears away may define it. A dark planet for example (a planet without an illuminating star like the sun, may have complex lifeforms thriving who may have appendages, exoskeletons or whatever that requires the absence of light, or water for that matter. They may not even have a spoken language as we define it here, yet they can communicate. Limbs, but have their own ability to be mobile etc.
What may seem "normal" here should not be viewed as "abnormal" elsewhere amply because we have restricted our levels of definitions.
It may sound paradoxical as I am av Christian but I believe in the possibility of complex lifeforms currently existing in other planets not weighed down by man's definition of basic requirements for life.
Vivy u too correct . it will baffle many here that as we have microscopic organisms, so are extra macroscopic beings not visible to our naked eyes but not beyond our apprehension. It will surprise folks that inside water there is fire, n that the so called inanimate objects like stone have life. But it will never shock a true mystic or students of mysticism.

2 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by YuckFou: 2:34am On Feb 02, 2016
LordAdam:

Science is imagination and speculation following a logical thinking process. Whatever you imagine or speculate must be explained. It's why science maintains that ghosts and the supernatural are unreal despite overwhelming evidence.

The black race WILL never meet up. Of course, there will be individuals within the race that break the convention of backwardness, think Ben Carson, Wole Soyinka, Nelson Mandela, Chike Obi (to mention but a few), maybe you or me. However, these are only a pocket few representing a percentage I can't calculate (probably 0.000001%). The race as an entity is a lost cause.
-Lord
Wole Soyinka? Just exposed your foolness. U r no lord.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by siegfried99(m): 2:49am On Feb 02, 2016
Zellie:
Hmmm. About 1% of the total stars(10^24) is like our sun and has planets orbiting them that could support life. So there are quintibillions of earthlike planets out there. If these planets can actually support life and are inhabited by other civilizations, then they're definitely more intelligent and more evolved than us, because our planet is relatively young

We've not been able to contact them probably because of our crude technology. But why haven't they contacted us instead, or maybe they have but we're just too dumb to understand, like trying to teach an ape how to use the internet embarassed

It could also be that we're to them as ants are to us , humans don't talk to ants right? grin. They're probably waaaay ahead of us in civilization and more evolved than us so they see us as inconsequential ants and trying to communicate with us would be absurd grin

Or, we're alone. There's something called the Great filter theory, its not known for a fact where/when exactly this great filter is/was. The Great Filter is just like some sort of holocaust, like a disaster that wipes out an entire civilization.

If this Great filter is behind us, we're probably the only ones that survived it, we're special, rare. Other intelligent civilizations probably got wiped out in the great filter or stuck somewhere, as prokaryotes perhaps grin . If the great filter is ahead of us, then we're fvcked lipsrsealed

Too much story.. Anyway, I hope I'm still alive if or when scientists and finally able to contact these ETs

The bolded got me grin

@topic, I believe we are not alone, the universe is too vast.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by MrSunesis(m): 2:49am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

He's correct in a way. gravity is only a phenomenon. You don't compare gravity with light which is a real thing (particle and/or wave). To clear you, lemme ask: what is the unit of gravity

Gravity and light are both 'things' (if I were to refers to Tartar's usage if the term)....they are both energy and are correlated. According to the law of thermodynamics, energy can be transformed from one state to another.... That is wamhat makes Einstein's law possible.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by siegfried99(m): 2:52am On Feb 02, 2016
meccuno:
I don't think we are alone. The universe is just too big to be conquered. To conquer it is to become God which is very impossible. What I am actually against is these scientist trying to send out signals to the unknown and we become invaded by advanced beings and made to farm yam and cocoa....heard a space ship was sent to pluto to take pictures!!! Imagine the number of years it took. Mean while, I don't want to be colonised by green people. The British have done their worst already grin

Lol grin
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by MrSunesis(m): 2:55am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
expatiate and tell me how that makes gravity a "thing"

Gravity and light are both 'things' (if I were to refer usage of the term). They are both energy and are correlated. According to the law of thermodynamics, energy can be transformed from one state to another.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by GatJokez(f): 3:47am On Feb 02, 2016
HapyOne:
... our technology is based on Man's perspectives of reality for example for those that believe in ghost, spirits and those kind of things , our current technology can't detect them nor find them. So imagine the if those kind of beings are the ones in other planets, we might not be able to detect them.

I think the universe is too big just for one set of life.
I know we are not alone.

I really like your idea that "our technology is based on man's perspectives" and what you're saying makes sense. I read a lot about possiblity of existence of life elsewhere in the universe but never thought from your angle. That makes me think - this means we limit ourselves by our own imagination.

Considering how far mankind has advanced with technology, imagine how much farher we would get if we did not limit our imagination.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Huge Python Delivering Money In Zimbabwe (Video) / Boy Kills Huge Cobra In Kogi After Invading His House. Photos / Stunning And Rare Mammatus Clouds Form On Argentina Skies (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.