Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,644 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Are We Alone In The Universe? - Science/Technology (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are We Alone In The Universe? (54415 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Wolfbrother(m): 8:24am On Feb 02, 2016
Researchers have concluded that each star in the Milky Way galaxy likely has at least one planet orbiting it, meaning that our galaxy has at least 100 billion planets to its name.

Given that it's news every time Kepler discovers a new exoplanet (a planet orbiting a star other than our sun)

Source: http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/11/a-planet-for-every-star/

The galaxy is too large and infinite for us to be the only living beings in it

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by wirinet(m): 8:28am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

Oh yes, there will be. The reason is that Space is not empty. Einstein said space is filled with the aether. So, when the star goes Nova, the aether will be distorted.. And this will propagate like a wave to the surroundings. For example, when you drop a stone in water, you see ripples propagate as waves from the point you dropped the stone, to wherever it can go... That's how gravity behaves. There's always a time lag, cos here, the waves have to travel through a medium

I have not read anything physics for a decade, but i can't remembered Einstein agreeing with the ether hypothesis. Einstein say gravity as an after effect of mass distorting the space-time fabric, so removing that distortion should automatically remove the distortion ( maybe instantaneously). I might have to dust up my old books on fundamental physics.

I remembered Einstein was toying with the idea of gravity waves, but can't remember his conclusions.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:42am On Feb 02, 2016
wirinet:

I have not read anything physics for a decade, but i can't remembered Einstein agreeing with the ether hypothesis. Einstein say gravity as an after effect of mass distorting the space-time fabric, so removing that distortion should automatically remove the distortion ( maybe instantaneously). I might have to dust up my old books on fundamental physics.

I remembered Einstein was toying with the idea of gravity waves, but can't remember his conclusions.

Let's say you have a stretched rubber sheet... And you place an object of mass on the rubber sheet. Now place other smaller objects at other points on the rubber sheet. Now take out the large object. Does the rubber sheet just flatten out? Nope. The rubber sheet first recovers from the dent, goes up, down, up and so until it finally flattens out. This wave like disturbance acts on the other objects but not instantaneously. Time elapses, even though you might not notice. That is exactly what will happen if a star goes nova. Gravity propagates.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:43am On Feb 02, 2016
wirinet:

Gravity is not the after effect of mass distorting space time. The distortion itself is gravity
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Hero10001: 8:43am On Feb 02, 2016
Read your Bible, it's got ALL the answers you need.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 8:49am On Feb 02, 2016
FILEBE:
LordAdam
erusen
Johnydon22
Well, i slept on this thread literally. As i kept reading and reading i noticed that we believe in what we can't see. Even the atheist. We all believe in Gravity, yet we can't see it. Scientists came up with an explanation of how gravity works, gave us proofs on it absence . We were taken to space to see what we can and can't do with gravity. We believe them. Now, we are asking if we are alone on earth and beyond. I don't know much about "beyond" but i know about earth. We are not alone on earth. Believe it or not. You, atheists don't believe in metaphysical / diabolic beings or power yet you believe in gravity. Atheist are like the modern day doubthing Thomas(no offence). Well, i'm talking from experience. I have seen things! I have seen other forms of beings. We Africans are aware of these beings but we choose to "overate" and give them "undue" powers.

Somewhere in a book. I read about some form of beings living above the earth's atmosphere.
[b]You see sometimes i wonder how people reason a times when they try to conjure up absurd reasons for their superstition.

Gravity? Now trying to be reconciled with the claim of metaphysical... isn't that a stupid and desperate clutch.. Because First "Gravity" is not a thing..

Throw your phone up and it falls back down into your hands that is what we call Gravity and not a thing..

You see that you are in a desperate gasp trying to wriggle and convince yourself of some bunch of bullcraps by trying to compare it with gravity has in entirety murdered that desperation because now you will have to agree that your "Metaphysics" claims are not a thing just like gravity is not a thing but the effect of interactions of material entities.

Don't go wishy on me.. If you have evidence for you claims bring it out don't go pulling out childish comparison like this comparing claims of your idea that are supposed to be a "thing" with a concept that is not..

It is not only nonsensical i am inclined to call it lunacy
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by leksyib14: 8:50am On Feb 02, 2016
Hero10001:

Sir, seriously there are some things you see or hear around but you cant find them in the Bible. I know I'm in no place to question God. But why's He hiding this from us?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by mrphysics(m): 8:50am On Feb 02, 2016
menxer:

Then it is safe to say angels and spirits are assumptions.

you are now talking religion, Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

We are talking of physical observables. in this case you are wrong. I am not an atheist sir.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by grailife(m): 8:50am On Feb 02, 2016
The truth is that we are not alone on earth, just as we use microscope to view microorganism likewise you can see spirit if God permits it, i have seen spirit while praying and there is no way i can show u prove of that , do u know that i don't know that some people are atheist until i start using the internet, i thought we only have good and bad people, lol

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 8:51am On Feb 02, 2016
Hero10001:
Imagine this nonsense... Tell me how Nigeria is ever going to grow in science when her Youths are like this @erusen ..The bible that didn't know "day/night cannot come before the sun on planet earth..

Religion has literally turned Nigerian youths to simpletons.. i don't see a bright light at the end of the tunnel

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 8:56am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
Imagine this nonsense... Tell me how Nigeria is ever going to grow in science when her Youths are like this @erusen ..The bible that didn't know "day/night cannot come before the sun on planet earth..

Religion has literally turned Nigerian youths to simpletons.. i don't see a bright light at the end of the tunnel
when I think about my continent and race am just continually sad.sometimes I just forget these thoughts and just cope along so that I can have fun with my life.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by wirinet(m): 8:57am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

Let's say you have a stretched rubber sheet... And you place an object of mass on the rubber sheet. Now place other smaller objects at other points on the rubber sheet. Now take out the large object. Does the rubber sheet just flatten out? Nope. The rubber sheet first recovers from the dent, goes up, down, up and so until it finally flattens out. This wave like disturbance acts on the other objects but not instantaneously. Time elapses, even though you might not notice. That is exactly what will happen if a star goes nova. Gravity propagates.

Opinion is divided as regard instantaneous or delayed propagation of gravity, and experiments do not support delayed propagation.
please read this article and tell me your thoughts

The Speed of Gravity What the Experiments Say

Abstract. Standard experimental techniques exist to determine the propagation speed of forces. When we apply these techniques to
gravity, they all yield propagation speeds too great to measure, substantially faster than lightspeed. This is because gravity, in
contrast to light, has no detectable aberration or propagation delay for its action, even for cases (such as binary pulsars) where
sources of gravity accelerate significantly during the light time from source to target. By contrast, the finite propagation speed of
light causes radiation pressure forces to have a non-radial component causing orbits to decay (the “Poynting-Robertson effect”); but
gravity has no counterpart force proportional to to first order.

http://www.metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 8:59am On Feb 02, 2016
grailife:
The truth is that we are not alone on earth, just as we use microscope to view organism likewise you can see spirit if God permits it, i have seen spirit while praying and there is no way i can show u prove of that , do u know that i don't know that some people are atheist until i start using the internet, i thought we only have good and bad people, lol
yes atheist are more clever than religious people,but am a deist though I find big bang theory very questionable,but mere looking I already know your group,which is the dumb type
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by sarutobie(m): 8:59am On Feb 02, 2016
menxer:

Hahahaha

It's easier for you to accept the concept of your spiritual self and heaven than the concept of multiverse. SMH
my spiritual self is more than a concept, it is a fact.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 9:00am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
when I think about my continent and race am just continually sad.sometimes I just forget these thoughts and just cope along so that I can have fun with my life.
A book written by primitive goat herders that doesn't know you cannot have an earth before the sun...

this mor0n comes along and ask people to forgo findings of our own generation and read some books that it holds all the answers... WTF is wrong with Nigerians?

Not even the Sumerian tablets that did more impressive things even though it was thousands of years older. . They measure and recorded positions of Jupiter using Geometry imagine something that impressive..

Some dude comes here and ask people forgo science books and read just 1 book 85% myths and history ..that it holds all the answers.

Now am mad

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 9:01am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:

What do you think of Gallileo, Newton, Bacon and others? I know they believed in religion.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by malvisguy212: 9:02am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:

trash!!!
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:03am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

What do you think of Gallileo, Newton, Bacon and others? I know they believed in religion.
and Kepler too yea,but it doesn't prove anything,they are tons more that do not do.like Einstein was a deist just like me
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 9:03am On Feb 02, 2016
wirinet:

Opinion is divided as regard instantaneous or delayed propagation of gravity, and experiments do not support delayed propagation.
please read this article and tell me your thoughts
http://www.metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp

Later. But I can assure you, they're just gonna twist things around d
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 9:05am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

Their cup of tea has nothing to do with me just like Eistein, Hawkins or 90% of the 21st century Physicist who don't is not my business.. More over they lived during the medieval ages

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 9:05am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
and Kepler too yea,but it doesn't prove anything,they are tons more that do not do.like Einstein was a deist just like me

If these brilliant minds could accept religion, why call someone a slowpoke for doing same?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:05am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
A book written by primitive goat herders that doesn't know you cannot have an earth before the sun...

this mor0n comes along and ask people to forgo findings of our own generation and read some books that it holds all the answers... WTF is wrong with Nigerians?

Not even the Sumerian tablets that did more impressive things even though it was thousands of years older. . They measure and recorded positions of Jupiter using Geometry imagine something that impressive..

Some dude comes here and ask people forgo science books and read just 1 book 85% myths and history ..that it holds all the answers.

Now am mad
I told yesterday that if the thing does not annoy you?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 9:06am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
Their cup of tea has nothing to do with me just like Eistein, Hawkins or 90% of the 21st century Physicist who don't is not my business.. More over they lived during the medieval ages

If these brilliant minds could accept religion, why call someone a slowpoke for doing same?

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by malvisguy212: 9:09am On Feb 02, 2016
erusen:
yes atheist are more clever than religious people,but am a deist though I find big bang theory very questionable,but mere looking I already know your group,which is the dumb type
do not allowed Johnny to turn you into atheist, I have been following your post, first you deny being atheist, and now you speak highly of atheism, peter was one of the favorite disciple of Jesus, pride make him backslide. That is the reason most scientists are atheists, they feel like they understand everything in the universe. I pray God be with you my child.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:09am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

there was no evolution then .although I don't believe in evolution,it has more questions that answers,as a deist I think religion is utter crap because we have discovered more things.do u know how religious text are foolish and dumb scientifically.even with simple logic seft.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 9:09am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

No i do not at all... I am perfectly fine if someone is religious and i don't regard him/her a slowpock but when someone comes here and say "leave all this read just the bible or the quran it holds all the answer" i will call that person an Imbecil_e because that is exactly what that person is

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:10am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

there was no evolution then .although I don't believe in evolution,it has more questions that answers,as a deist I think religion is utter crap because we have discovered more things.do u know how religious text are foolish and dumb scientifically.even with simple logic seft.or was it not religion that stop Galileo's works.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by malvisguy212: 9:11am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:
and you live in this era show you are more interlingent than they ?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by mrphysics(m): 9:13am On Feb 02, 2016
johnydon22:

Calm down, you have no problem with the Bible.

Many things we are seeing today was long predicted, remember we predict before we discover. you have the right to your choice of belief only respect other people's belief.

Do you not think that all our discoveries is geared down towards the existence of a supreme being. Science is merely imitating the creations of God.

proudly physicist, scientist for Christ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 9:13am On Feb 02, 2016
malvisguy212:
do not allowed Johnny to turn you into atheist, I have been following your post, first you deny being atheist, and now you speak highly of atheism, peter was one of the favorite disciple of Jesus, pride make him backslide. That is the reason most scientists are atheists, they feel like they understand everything in the universe. I pray God be with you my child.
Please i have ignored you at first stop masturbating with my mentions and name.. what is my business with turning anybody atheistic.. Please we are having a discussion way above you just go back to the religion section and do your thing and please stop calling my name or mentioning me unnecessarily..

Well you are best ignored

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by menxer: 9:13am On Feb 02, 2016
mrphysics:

you are now talking religion, Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

We are talking of physical observables. in this case you are wrong. I am not an atheist sir.

Life is more than physical observables.
I take it the sarcasm was lost on you.

You don't have to be an atheist to reason outside the confines of your religion.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by malvisguy212: 9:14am On Feb 02, 2016
micodon:

my brother thank you , according to atheists, religious people are deluded why they are not.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Boy Kills Huge Cobra In Kogi After Invading His House. Photos / Huge Python Delivering Money In Zimbabwe (Video) / Stunning And Rare Mammatus Clouds Form On Argentina Skies (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.