Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Any Architects In The House? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Any Architects In The House? (22982 Views)

Architects In The House: Draw Near / Architects In D House, Drawing Of A Four Bedroom Duplex Please! / Architects In Nigeria? (For Industrial Construction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 2:49pm On Jul 08, 2009
The combination of Sketch up and V-ray?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 3:05pm On Jul 08, 2009
Or this,  Perhaps the most realistic Architectural rendering i have seen in recent times
, A 3D illustration of Frank Lloyd W's Falling water

Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 6:29am On Jul 10, 2009
The Last model I made, but I don't wanna be an architect anymore. angry

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 7:47am On Jul 10, 2009
dblock:

The Last model I made, but I don't wanna be an architect anymore. angry

With this skill, why quit now, ?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 7:56am On Jul 10, 2009
Only really good architects make the real money that's why.

I'm going to do urban planning and if I want to design anything I will give it to my Uncle to finalize.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 8:47am On Jul 10, 2009
dblock:

Only really good architects make the real money that's why.

I'm going to do urban planning and if I want to design anything I will give it to my Uncle to finalize.

If you are thinking of quiting because of money and you are considering 'urban planning', is that not like jumping from frying pan to fire?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 10:09am On Jul 10, 2009
Fredique:

If you are thinking of quiting because of money and you are considering 'urban planning', is that not like jumping from frying pan to fire?

I have done thorough an accurate research and I am positive that Urban Planners on average earn more.

Architects can earn more and the richest architects probably do, but it has been proven that Architecture is an overrated profession. In American on Average a planner will receive $78,000 annually Architects earn less except for those in the Architecture studies/Engineering, because Architecture as a profession is slowing down and Engineering is booming. Planners in Australia will earn minimum around 45/50 K and Maximum 120,000 a year.

Another thing about planners is unlike Architects we have millions of industries we can work at so if there is no job in one place there is a job somewhere else.

Many people seem to think Planning is worse off but statistically it is better than Architecture. In recent years Architecture salaries have declined.

All the planners complaining about salary must really be bad at their jobs. Architects on the other hand if you are a good architect you might still not make anymore unless you have connections.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 10:11am On Jul 10, 2009
Fredique:

I have done thorough an accurate research and I am positive that Urban Planners on average earn more.

Architects can earn more and the richest architects probably do, but it has been proven that Architecture is an overrated profession. In America on Average a planner will receive $78,000 annually Architects earn less except for those in the Architecture studies/Engineering, because Architecture as a profession is slowing down and Engineering is booming. Planners in Australia will earn minimum around 45/50 K and Maximum 120,000 a year.

Another thing about planners is unlike Architects we have millions of industries we can work at so if there is no job in one place there is a job somewhere else.

Many people seem to think Planning is worse off but statistically it is better than Architecture. In recent years Architecture salaries have declined.

All the planners complaining about salary must really be bad at their jobs. Architects on the other hand if you are a good architect you might still not make anymore unless you have connections.

Architecture is also rated as one of the most disproportionate careers. Planning is conversely rated as a good career and has good prospects.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 10:46am On Jul 10, 2009
Fredique:

There may be more prospects and jobs for them outside nigeria, and where planning laws work well , but in this country? except for Local govt. planning offices, Govt. ministrys and 2 friends i ve working in a bank, haven't seen them practicing anywhere, you may be very right fredique.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by DisGuy: 12:05pm On Jul 10, 2009

Architects can earn more and the richest architects probably do, but it has been proven that Architecture is an overrated profession.

Fredique:

dblock's reply [spambot's gone on overdrive]
In American on Average a planner will receive $78,000 annually Architects earn less except for those in the Architecture studies/Engineering, because Architecture as a profession is slowing down and Engineering is booming. Planners in Australia will earn minimum around 45/50 K and Maximum 120,000 a year.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 12:46pm On Jul 10, 2009
dblock:

Architects can earn more and the richest architects probably do, but it has been proven that Architecture is an overrated profession. In America on Average a planner will receive $78,000 annually Architects earn less except for those in the Architecture studies/Engineering, because Architecture as a profession is slowing down and Engineering is booming. Planners in Australia will earn minimum around 45/50 K and Maximum 120,000 a year.

Architecture is also rated as one of the most disproportionate careers. Planning is conversely rated as a good career and has good prospects.

Australia, US, Anywhere outside Nigeria, Agreed! but Urban planning and the Profession in Nigeria is at its lowest low!
Re: Any Architects In The House? by lekside44(m): 3:37pm On Jul 10, 2009
3d max is only good for animations, not for CAD drawings
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 4:38pm On Jul 10, 2009
lekside44:

3d max is only good for animations, not for CAD drawings
I believe you mean Rendering and Animation not for CAD Working Drawings
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 6:38pm On Jul 10, 2009
mahal:

I believe you mean Rendering and Animation not for CAD Working Drawings

Exactly what I think. I qualified as an architect in Nigerian and presently doing an urban planning masters. In the UK, planners are 'lords' (if I should put it that way) in the built environement. Nothing gets done without them. In Nigeria, leaving architecture for Urban Planning because of money is like moving from frying pan to fire.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 12:15pm On Jul 12, 2009
If we say the NIA have failed us by not creating a solid base or institution for the profession in Nigeria,
and frustrating the young architects by all mean they can,
what can we do as the younger generation of Architects in Nigeria to salvage the situation?

Frankly, i believe the Older generation of architects have no fresh ideas in their heads anymore
thus, creating this stagnant state we find ourselves in this field, but they still wield the mace and
make all the laws regulating the practice in Nigeria. it's clear they get all the major jobs, hand i over to the young ones without making much
input, determine and collect the fees for the job and pay the young studio architects peanuts. some even go the extent of keeping worker for months without pay.
Sadly, this cuts across and is obtainable most firms if not all architecture firms in the country.
Any suggestion, good or bad is welcomed.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 11:07am On Jul 14, 2009
mahal:

The combination of Sketch up and V-ray?

This is simple project that I did on sketchup and v-ray

Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 11:15am On Jul 14, 2009
Here is some interiors and the final presentation(done on Photoshop)
Hope u like them

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 3:21pm On Jul 14, 2009
U did this with sketch-up and v-ray?
Your presentations are pretty good,

I would have loved to see a more detailed ones with vistas and landscaping.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 4:10pm On Jul 14, 2009
Archicad/Art*lantis Studio

Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 7:05am On Jul 15, 2009
Archicad/Art*lantis Studio

I guess I was underestimating the power of Archicad, those 3d's are very good! wink
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 10:57am On Jul 15, 2009
yoruba:

I guess I was underestimating the power of Archicad, those 3d's are very good! wink

Archicad is great. However one thing you must remember is that beyond the capability of the software, alot depends on the person using it. I've seen people do crap with archicad.

the model below was done with autocad (the 2d package), but it was rendered in artlantis, and 'photshopped'. The car models look like crap though. the versions of Autocad before 2007 allows you to convert a model in .dwg format to .3ds format which can be imported and rendered in artlantis. Unfortunately, this is not easy with the recent versions of Autocad -one of the reasons I'm now sticking with 3d max (it's hard though).

Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 11:08am On Jul 15, 2009
Here is document that tabulates the pros and cons of the different CAD softwares, you may find it helpful

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 11:28am On Jul 15, 2009
Fredique:

Archicad is great. However one thing you must remember is that beyond the capability of the software, alot depends on the person using it. I've seen people do crap with archicad.

This is very true, unfortunately a lot of people to know this
I would always advise one to know a particular software package to its fullest than trying to know all at the same time,
U could stumble unto new things, ideas and info everyday from a software you think you already know.
I have used ArchiCAD for 7 years now from version 6.0 till vers.11 (haven't even ventured near 12)
yet i see works from other archicad users that marvel me and keeps me thinking whether we 're actually using
the same software,
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 11:34am On Jul 15, 2009
archicad+Artlantis Studio

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 12:16pm On Jul 15, 2009
I've been trying to avoid posting a comment on this thread, but I feel like I should say something. First, it will be nice to get some definitions of Architecture in the opinion of some people here. As a guideline, I will suggest that you first consider that there is a difference between Shelter and Architecture.

There are many Engineers with Architecture degrees who are not Architects. Having a degree should not be misconstrued as being an Architect. True Architecture is a continuous study of form. It is a successful interlude between space, function and culture. You could design a "beautiful home" that lacks history and hence ingratiating. I have found that many Nigerian Architects indeed lack Historical knowledge of Architecture. They are not cultured in styles and heritable precedence.

True Architecture demands purity of form. It could be an evolved style with Historical precedence. I hear Nigerian Architects trying to talk about indigenous Architecture, while making claims to it. If this is the case, then their focus should become about issues of Compounds and how the structures in the compounds interact together. Our precedence will therefore be Islamic or Persian Architecture. My translation of this will therefore be an arrangement of round and square mud huts surrounding a principal structure. These will be fenced off with walls and a sculptural entrance.

It is therefore hypocritical in my opinion to try to quantify otherwise unhistorical pieces jumbled up together as Indigenous Architecture. This is clearly a result of lack of knowledge and History of Architecture. No matter what we say or claim, Architecture origins remain Greek, and the focus was on Temples. Man in his arrogance after acquiring wealth then decided to become a temple of himself. This is how Architecture began in ancient Greece. It might be worthwhile for the Indigenous claiming Nigerian Architects to therefore go back to the concept of basic shelter, and then begin to design a style of their own, while locking out the influences of external forces. Will this be possible?

Fact remains that the most successful Architecture retain Historical concepts. On the advent of industrialization, the Initial Architecture remained influenced by historical concepts, styles and classical orders. This quickly evolved to a new form when the advent of Sky scrapers came into the scene. But even the Latest Skyscrapers today that are considered beautiful instead or a marvel, have roots of Classical styles.

I must mention after designing homes for many Multi-millionaires that the concept of "New Money v/s Old Money" remains very much alive. The Rich of the Western World pride themselves with Architecture based on historical styles. At least in external appearance. On the insides of these homes however, we can explore technology and new ideas. But these are usually zones into areas within the structure. Informal areas such as the main family recreation spaces could explore L'Art Nouveau, but I have found a preference of the Formal Living areas for receiving guests to remain "Formal". As you can see, the word "Formal" itself indicates from a heritage background.

Whenever, my client was an African American Athlete, or Music Star, I would always begin by Lecturing them about these concepts. I steered them away from plasticity and the Nouveau-Rich styles. Ostentatious homes are usually found laughable by "Old money" and these guys used to be laughed at. Usually, when they went in that direction and got broke, the discovered that their houses were difficult to sell because the designs lacked style and precedence. It would usually take a "New Money" guy to buy the home at a much reduced rate.

In the United States, there are some Estate homes that could have been originally built 100 years ago and still held their grandeur and status. These are the homes usually admired and many choose to replicate. The key to successful Western Architecture I personally would see as a skilled redefining of the familiar, while interjecting the lifestyles of today into them. Retro-Architecture has consistently been a winner, as we see old styles being revisited. This, I will continue to keep as my anchor and approach to residential Architecture.

Very soon
Re: Any Architects In The House? by saydfact(m): 12:22pm On Jul 15, 2009
FOR THE RECORD, I'M AN ARCHITECT,

WHO CARES?
lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 12:25pm On Jul 15, 2009
mahal:

archicad+Artlantis Studio

Mahal, that is an excellent interpretation of Prairie Architecure, which was the style Frank Lord Wright was known for.  Would you have any Mies Van Der Rhoe  or Le Corbusier  interpretation? The Last 2 buildings that you posted are clearly Early American influenced Prairie styles done rather well. Who is the Architect?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 12:39pm On Jul 15, 2009
Here are some of my designs in 3D with their defined influences. This one is an eclectic Early American with Craftsman influence.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 12:41pm On Jul 15, 2009
French Country Style

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 12:46pm On Jul 15, 2009
Classical French Country with a Romanesque touch.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 12:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
Early American, Sears series style with a touch of Craftsman.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 12:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
larez:

I've been trying to avoid posting a comment on this thread, but I feel like I should say something,

Larez, i have been wondering when you would come in, welcome,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Flood Overwhelms Asaba, Destroys Official Documents, Files, Homes / Lagos Proposes A Regional Masterplan For Ikorodu / Lagosians Rendered Homeless After Ambode Destroyed Their Houses In Ajah(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.