Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Any Architects In The House? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Any Architects In The House? (23003 Views)

Architects In The House: Draw Near / Architects In D House, Drawing Of A Four Bedroom Duplex Please! / Architects In Nigeria? (For Industrial Construction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Architects In The House? by dblock(m): 10:14am On Aug 08, 2009
I have decided to return to Architecture.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 4:58am On Aug 09, 2009
smiley
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 5:30am On Aug 09, 2009
smiley
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 9:41am On Aug 31, 2009
I was curious, What if we had a compulsory 1-2 year run, through Post University College of Architecture like we have the "law school" in designated regions of the country, where one could obtain his professional NIA seal and induction into the profession at completion of the theoretical and Practical courses prescribed.
It may just help in bringing Architects closer, imbibe seriousness in the feild, create teaching jobs for experienced architects as lecturers and curb the rigors of obtaining the seal to mention but a few.
Well, just a thought.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 3:39am On Sep 04, 2009
dblock - those renders show good progress, though they are a little fuzzy. Did you use indigo?? I use indigo renderer and it fuzzes things up. Were they designed using sketchup??

Mahal - I think Nigerians need to really understand and appreciate the NIA much like the AIA and RIBA do. In the field of Architecture it is every architect's goal to be recognised and belonging to one of those associations can help when it comes to networking.

Like most careers it is important to never undermine the importance of networking, I have noticed that if you stick with the right people, and follow the 'flow' you are more likely to succeed than if you decided to start-off completely alone. I think this is another subject that causes many students and architects to really fear the industry. After all, how is a person supposed to belong to an industry which boasts creativeness, yet there is an obvious undercurrent of trend and fashion.

Lastly, I'm disappointed that this topic has been un-stickied, raised my hopes for nothing really.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2009
When do we start having cable stayed bridges in Nigeria?
A presentation for the Bayelsa State government.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 5:33pm On Sep 04, 2009
Lagos has one in the works. But the one in the drawing is not possible though, it needs a crown. grin
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 5:48pm On Sep 04, 2009
grin lol, you may be right. where exactly in lagos are you talking about.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 5:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
larez:

Lagos has one in the works. But the one in the drawing is not possible though, it needs a crown. grin
The idea is "Win the job first, get the specifics later, " Governor Goodluck Jonathan back then wouldn't know that from the Pics wink grin
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2009
Did you get the job? And would you like to see some pics of suspended bridges?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 6:24pm On Sep 04, 2009
Oh no we didn't, We even got alarmed halfway into the project because we couldn't come up with competent engineers in the country
that could deliver on Cable stayed, Again you don't go consulting for ones outside the country unless you're sure to pay them whether we get the job or not.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 7:00pm On Sep 04, 2009
There are a lot of them built around Florida and I have studied some of them in Jacksonville. I am very shocked especially at the 3rd mainland bridge that effectively removed the possibility of Navigation by larger boats into Lekki Lagoon. I spoke to some authoritative figures in Cross Rivers not to make the same mistake.

There is a very interesting project that I recently read about in Europe. Not sure if it is completed yet. But it goes from a very long tunnel to a magnificent suspended bridge. It was also interesting reading about how they handled the logistics and the polymers and additives used for what was basically a hollow core bridge deck system. Technology is taking great leaps right now, and I think China is currently building the longest suspended bridge in the world. I'll come back and post some pictures if you will like.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 7:22pm On Sep 04, 2009

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 7:24pm On Sep 04, 2009
2. There are a lot more than these posts that I am making, including complete write-ups about the construction of them. If you will like me to email you some, send me email. You will be inspired.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 7:25pm On Sep 04, 2009

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 7:26pm On Sep 04, 2009

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 7:29pm On Sep 04, 2009
5. Too bad I had to reduce the pictures. You will have been able to zoom into the high res pictures that I have to see details.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 3:33am On Sep 05, 2009
Are we interested in introducing suspension bridges in Nigeria or are we just wanting to 'be like the rest of the world' ??
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 6:44am On Sep 05, 2009
And what is wrong wih being like the rest of the world? Criticism for the sake of criticism without careful thoughts reflects a desperate need for intellectual recognition. Have you even thought of the reasons for Suspension bridges? The unwise decisions by unqualified leadership and dumb so-called professionals are the direct causes of deprivation of the future enjoyment of generations to come.

Case in point; Osun River.

Dammed by Osun State. No Boat lift or fish jump. Flora and Fauna killed. Hardly releases water that replenished and refreshed Lekki Lagoon. The results observed so far: Amphibious and Marine destruction. Rare plants vanished. Heavy salination of Lekki Lagoon causing a biodiversity change and much more. Lagos  State should actually sue Osun State for diversion of natural resource. Rather than returning the flow levels to how it was before damming, they continue to divert it to newly created basins. United Nations Law does not permit any governmental body or person to divert or convert the use of a River like that. This is classic study material for students of planning and geology.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 6:57am On Sep 05, 2009
larez:

2. There are a lot more than these posts that I am making, including complete write-ups about the construction of them. If you will like me to email you some, send me email. You will be inspired.

These are quite long bridges, more like Engineering Inspired, but my focus was more on the "Architecture/Art Inspired" Cantilever Spar, kind of Cable stayed bridges, Which are more monumental than functional, even though they are really functional,
The Calatrava and Norman foster Kinds,

topup:

Are we interested in introducing suspension bridges in Nigeria or are we just wanting to 'be like the rest of the world' ??
Frankly, i see nothing wrong in having some of this monumental beauties in our major cities or wherever it's suited, we could even personalize them smiley

Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 1:03am On Sep 06, 2009
larez:

And what is wrong wih being like the rest of the world? Criticism for the sake of criticism without careful thoughts reflects a desperate need for intellectual recognition. Have you even thought of the reasons for Suspension bridges? The unwise decisions by unqualified leadership and dumb so-called professionals are the direct causes of deprivation of the future enjoyment of generations to come.

"Criticism for the sake of criticism without careful thoughts reflects a desperate need for intellectual recognition." - Larez, and please can you explain what this means, I'm not sure it makes sense.

I am beginning to wonder if you are ever questioned in the statements and decisions you make, as I don't get the impression that you welcome it. Am I supposed to fear criticising, for fear of being labelledf a person who needs desperately some 'intellectual recognition.'??

It is a reasonable question, it is not a criticism, it is a question, a question which I thought could open up further topics about the different technologies introduced into the world. If it isn't the case, and Nigeria isn't simply trying to be like the rest of the world, then that could have been argued in your response.

I believe that if we do not make an effort to at least cater to our country, then we will just end up with those American style houses in Lagos, I am determined that Nigeria becomes a leader and pioneer and not just a follower as in the world of construction and architecture, there are many followers. If you don't believe that such values are important, then that's your opinion as this is mine.

It would just be nice to see some original concepts emerge from Nigeria, yet at the same time I am able to appreciate the 'good' choices in the world, which we could simply implement in our own country.

mahal:

Frankly, i see nothing wrong in having some of this monumental beauties in our major cities or wherever it's suited, we could even personalize them smiley

Yes I agree, there are many examples where this type of bridge will be suited, I just believed that there are many areas where Nigeria could create some 'monumental beauties'. I am sure who ever proposed the 53billion Naira Millenium Tower must have felt that was a necessary 'monumental beauty'.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:27am On Sep 06, 2009
Topup:

I can understand that academia evokes thoughts and thinking processes. Since you are currently working on your post graduate course, you may be inspired to think outside of the box. This is a good thing, don't get me wrong. I infact encourage you to do this. However, there is a problem, and it needs to be resolved first. This is where the current focus should be in my estimation.

I moved out of Nigeria in 1980. This was about the time that Shagari became President of Nigeria. Since then, Nigeria has digressed and actually moved back in time while the rest of the world moves forward. My observation indicates that there may have been a concerted effort to destroy progress made in Southern Nigeria, which has been successful. Where are the Cocoa pyramids, and the Oil palms? Did you know that Nigerians were sent to Malaysia and Indonesia to train them on how to raise and Farm the Oil Palm?

In the case of planning, Lagos is my home state and My early years were all in Lagos. I can remember places like Takwa Bay that had beautiful blue waters and we used to beach our boats and sometimes stayed overnight in some of the huts (chalets) that we rented. Lagos was beautiful then, and many regular folks on Sundays laid out blankets along Marina to picnic while watching the beautiful display of lights from Ships. Security was not an issue, and we'd picnic until 10.00-11.oopm.

The Military created the 2nd destruction of Lagos methodically, and rumour has it that it was on purpose, because the North felt threatened by the quick progress and advancements that Lagos was making. I will refrain from getting into politics and resume my focus on the subject at hand.

Since as early as 1954, Lagos and Ibadan had been comprehensively mapped out by the U.S Army corp of Engineers. Were you aware that there used to be a Seaport (Airport) on the waters between Lekki and Ikorodu, where amphibious planes landed? Did you know that Lagos was a famous detination for European travelers to Africa for recreation, even more popular than Kenya? Did you know that Lagos had another Airport at Kirikiri and there used to be many international flight and plane shows there (Sponsored by Esso)? At these shows, did you know we could board the planes to inspect them and even paid to take 30 minutes flights on some planes? Did you know that the then USSR actually came after Festac '77, and setup a planetarium in Lagos for like 2 months, complete with replica Soyuz capsules and everything you needed to know about space? There was even a zero gravity chamber. This was also open to the public.

At the rate that Nigeria is going backwards, we should be glad with mimicking progressive Nations and playing catchup rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. We have the advantage of building upon time tested technologies which they have worked on already. Nigeria is yet to build any kind of "Wonder" and the closest that we had was the National theater for the Black and African Festival of Arts. It was a beautiful piece of art which involved the works of a great Nigerian Artist named Emokpae.

Infrastructure should be our focus which has restrained proper growth, and caused a lot of shack cities in Lagos. I believe that the British conspired to screw us up by imposing the "Plot system" on us rather than allowing us to think in terms of "Lots" as in America. Once a Nigerian sees a piece of property, they immediately think of how many 60'X120' plots they can squeeze out of it. This is a paradigm that is ridding us of green spaces within cities, and hence an unhealthy livestyle. Everything is a hustle and everyone is a hustler. Nigeria really needs a paradigm shift.

To address the issue that brought up this discussion, I will say that it is a travesty that the 3 Bridges connecting Lagos mainland to the Island are not Suspension bridges. The other day while driving across Carter Bridge, I noticed that it had been designed to allow the middle part to raise. It is also revealing when I remember that Eko Bridge actually has a Tower, and has long spans in the middle to allow potential. However, 3rd Mainland Bridge is an economic sabotage of Lagos, and I believe that it will need to be torn down to allow Marine Navigation in the future.

If Lagos Planners had any exposure and professional pride, they will have studied how cities/states with large bodies of water handled developments. The water itself is usually the economic foundation of these areas. The United States currently have learned lessons and have blasted down many dams, while creating fish ladders etc, at the remaining ones to minimize impacts on nature as well as navigation. The British have created water locks and extensive mechanisms to create more efficient water transits. I will post some transport data about the efficiency of barges as compared with other forms of transportation. There is no comparison at all. You will be shocked.

Lagos should have at least one suspension bridge linking the Island to the edge of Apapa. There should be one linking to Iganmu, and another linking to Ikorodu. The center part over the water crossing of 3rd mainland bridge should be destroyed, and a ramp built leading to a suspended part to allow for water navigation. Looking at Carter Bridge and Eko Bridge, I believe the original design allows for a retroactive installation of an active system to allow the center parts to be lifted for ships to navigate through. River Osun and River Ogun should be dredged to allow for low draft Barges to navigate them. Containers heading North and East should be automatically offloaded at the Ports into Barges destined for Ikorodu, Ijebu Igbo, or Abeoukuta via River Oshun and Ogun accordingly. These barges would include fuel barges as well. The Port at Ikorodu was built to allow this to happen until our Northern leaders decided and conspired to sabotage Lagos. Now Dangote controls it.

The Western world will never allow the amount of traffic issues that we see in Lagos continue for more than 2 years. They will realize that traffic jams in their cities amounts to failure in their planning. This oversight will be corrected in a manner of urgency, and immediately becomes priority. However, in Nigeria, we fail to understand the impact of lost man hours has on the economy due to traffic jams. Achievements that can be made in a day has to stretch to a week or more because of transportation problems. This has also affected the general paradigm of the people because they are now used to traffic causing goals to become unattainable. It is also a good excuse for inefficiency as people make up stories about traffic.

A good example of our backwardness is the proposed 10 lane highway to Badagry, from Iganmu. The process of constructing this will destroy both the Lagos/Isolo expressway, and the Ikorodu expressway as well. Mark my words. Do you know the logistics that it will take to move all the granite and other material that it will take to build this? Do you know how many truckloads it will require to get this job done? Do you know the amount of added traffic congestion that it will create? In any civilized nation it will be tantamount to madness to try to do this by road. Supplies are basically from Abeokuta, Ibadan, and Ijebu Ife. If things are properly planned, Ijebu Ife will terminate at a dock at Epe, Ibadan will terminate at a dock at Majidun or Ikorodu, and local traffic will be unaffected, except for the short runs from dumps along the Badagry water front. This is how logistics are planned in civilized Nations, and developments is never tantamount to making life hell for inhabitants. Lifetime Costs Cycle Analysis includes lost time caused by traffic to inhabitants.

I am lamenting here because of the frustration that I feel about knowing efficient and proper ways of doing things, but continuing to see the backwardness that we embrace in Nigeria while claiming to be pursuing progress. I wish and have tried to get to Governor Fashola just to advise him about potential pitfalls and more efficient systems and ways for planning. I have consistently studied Satellite imagery of Lagos extensively and now tend to believe that some of these expatriates are actually out to sabotage us and stifle our development. I sometimes wish to get a chance to Master plan an unspoilt area such as Calabar, or even Uyo because I believe that proper planning will jump start the economies of these areas and lessons learned from Lagos, will be used to avoid pitfalls.

I have learned to love Nigeria again in the past 4 years, and it kills me each day watching clueless people destroy it further by failing to plan for it's future. This is why my previous response may have been harsh, because at the moment Nigeria and Nigerians should forget about reinventing the wheel, but focus on exposures worldwide, and mimic what works best to get us started on the right track. We should be studying the true costs of Infrastructure plans over a time factor, instead of cheap immediate gratification that are more expensive on the long run.

I hope you don't feel offended by my previous remarks. It was only a venting of the frustration I am going through from feeling impotent about not being able to do anything in regards to mistakes being made in Nigeria. It even hurts me more when I see a Great Governor finally in my home state trying to do positive things, but not being able to be reached with advise that can enhance his goals. Most Nigerians with their so-called expatriate advisers are usually coming up with ideas that will fatten their pockets rather than the overall good of the community. I therefore apologize it you feel slighted by my previous remark.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 2:29pm On Sep 06, 2009
;
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 2:31pm On Sep 06, 2009
Post reappeared.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by jazzsoul: 11:11pm On Sep 06, 2009
Larez, please find the Lagos state Governor's email and send your thoughts to him directly. I understand that he is actually net literate unlike some other Governors. Your response to Topup was very moving and profound and I feel your pain about the lack of foresight and imagination of our national planners. Keep up the good fight as we will have to take back Nigeria from the current retrogressives.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 12:01am On Sep 07, 2009
jazzsoul:

Larez, please find the Lagos state Governor's email and send your thoughts to him directly. I understand that he is actually net literate unlike some other Governors. Your response to Topup was very moving and profound and I feel your pain about the lack of foresight and imagination of our national planners. Keep up the good fight as we will have to take back Nigeria from the current retrogressives.

Thanks for your encouragement. But would you believe that I actually know the Governors Brother very well, His Brother-in-law very well, and many other direct contacts to him. My personal estimation is that these guys are scared of my direct contact with him, and will rather milk me for ideas that they will go claim as their own. Some people do the work while some just want to "chop". Once again, thanks for caring though.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 7:23am On Sep 07, 2009
larez:

Topup:

I can understand that academia evokes thoughts and thinking processes. Since you are currently working on your post graduate course, you may be inspired to think outside of the box. This is a good thing, don't get me wrong. I infact encourage you to do this. However, there is a problem, and it needs to be resolved first. This is where the current focus should be in my estimation.

I moved out of Nigeria in 1980. This was about the time that Shagari became President of Nigeria. Since then, Nigeria has digressed and actually moved back in time while the rest of the world moves forward. My observation indicates that there may have been a concerted effort to destroy progress made in Southern Nigeria, which has been successful. Where are the Cocoa pyramids, and the Oil palms? Did you know that Nigerians were sent to Malaysia and Indonesia to train them on how to raise and Farm the Oil Palm?

In the case of planning, Lagos is my home state and My early years were all in Lagos. I can remember places like Takwa Bay that had beautiful blue waters and we used to beach our boats and sometimes stayed overnight in some of the huts (chalets) that we rented. Lagos was beautiful then, and many regular folks on Sundays laid out blankets along Marina to picnic while watching the beautiful display of lights from Ships. Security was not an issue, and we'd picnic until 10.00-11.oopm.

The Military created the 2nd destruction of Lagos methodically, and rumour has it that it was on purpose, because the North felt threatened by the quick progress and advancements that Lagos was making. I will refrain from getting into politics and resume my focus on the subject at hand.

Since as early as 1954, Lagos and Ibadan had been comprehensively mapped out by the U.S Army corp of Engineers. Were you aware that there used to be a Seaport (Airport) on the waters between Lekki and Ikorodu, where amphibious planes landed? Did you know that Lagos was a famous detination for European travelers to Africa for recreation, even more popular than Kenya? Did you know that Lagos had another Airport at Kirikiri and there used to be many international flight and plane shows there (Sponsored by Esso)? At these shows, did you know we could board the planes to inspect them and even paid to take 30 minutes flights on some planes? Did you know that the then USSR actually came after Festac '77, and setup a planetarium in Lagos for like 2 months, complete with replica Soyuz capsules and everything you needed to know about space? There was even a zero gravity chamber. This was also open to the public.

At the rate that Nigeria is going backwards, we should be glad with mimicking progressive Nations and playing catchup rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. We have the advantage of building upon time tested technologies which they have worked on already. Nigeria is yet to build any kind of "Wonder" and the closest that we had was the National theater for the Black and African Festival of Arts. It was a beautiful piece of art which involved the works of a great Nigerian Artist named Emokpae.

Infrastructure should be our focus which has restrained proper growth, and caused a lot of shack cities in Lagos. I believe that the British conspired to screw us up by imposing the "Plot system" on us rather than allowing us to think in terms of "Lots" as in America. Once a Nigerian sees a piece of property, they immediately think of how many 60'X120' plots they can squeeze out of it. This is a paradigm that is ridding us of green spaces within cities, and hence an unhealthy livestyle. Everything is a hustle and everyone is a hustler. Nigeria really needs a paradigm shift.

To address the issue that brought up this discussion, I will say that it is a travesty that the 3 Bridges connecting Lagos mainland to the Island are not Suspension bridges. The other day while driving across Carter Bridge, I noticed that it had been designed to allow the middle part to raise. It is also revealing when I remember that Eko Bridge actually has a Tower, and has long spans in the middle to allow potential. However, 3rd Mainland Bridge is an economic sabotage of Lagos, and I believe that it will need to be torn down to allow Marine Navigation in the future.

If Lagos Planners had any exposure and professional pride, they will have studied how cities/states with large bodies of water handled developments. The water itself is usually the economic foundation of these areas. The United States currently have learned lessons and have blasted down many dams, while creating fish ladders etc, at the remaining ones to minimize impacts on nature as well as navigation. The British have created water locks and extensive mechanisms to create more efficient water transits. I will post some transport data about the efficiency of barges as compared with other forms of transportation. There is no comparison at all. You will be shocked.

Lagos should have at least one suspension bridge linking the Island to the edge of Apapa. There should be one linking to Iganmu, and another linking to Ikorodu. The center part over the water crossing of 3rd mainland bridge should be destroyed, and a ramp built leading to a suspended part to allow for water navigation. Looking at Carter Bridge and Eko Bridge, I believe the original design allows for a retroactive installation of an active system to allow the center parts to be lifted for ships to navigate through. River Osun and River Ogun should be dredged to allow for low draft Barges to navigate them. Containers heading North and East should be automatically offloaded at the Ports into Barges destined for Ikorodu, Ijebu Igbo, or Abeoukuta via River Oshun and Ogun accordingly. These barges would include fuel barges as well. The Port at Ikorodu was built to allow this to happen until our Northern leaders decided and conspired to sabotage Lagos. Now Dangote controls it.

The Western world will never allow the amount of traffic issues that we see in Lagos continue for more than 2 years. They will realize that traffic jams in their cities amounts to failure in their planning. This oversight will be corrected in a manner of urgency, and immediately becomes priority. However, in Nigeria, we fail to understand the impact of lost man hours has on the economy due to traffic jams. Achievements that can be made in a day has to stretch to a week or more because of transportation problems. This has also affected the general paradigm of the people because they are now used to traffic causing goals to become unattainable. It is also a good excuse for inefficiency as people make up stories about traffic.

A good example of our backwardness is the proposed 10 lane highway to Badagry, from Iganmu. The process of constructing this will destroy both the Lagos/Isolo expressway, and the Ikorodu expressway as well. Mark my words. Do you know the logistics that it will take to move all the granite and other material that it will take to build this? Do you know how many truckloads it will require to get this job done? Do you know the amount of added traffic congestion that it will create? In any civilized nation it will be tantamount to madness to try to do this by road. Supplies are basically from Abeokuta, Ibadan, and Ijebu Ife. If things are properly planned, Ijebu Ife will terminate at a dock at Epe, Ibadan will terminate at a dock at Majidun or Ikorodu, and local traffic will be unaffected, except for the short runs from dumps along the Badagry water front. This is how logistics are planned in civilized Nations, and developments is never tantamount to making life hell for inhabitants. Lifetime Costs Cycle Analysis includes lost time caused by traffic to inhabitants.

I am lamenting here because of the frustration that I feel about knowing efficient and proper ways of doing things, but continuing to see the backwardness that we embrace in Nigeria while claiming to be pursuing progress. I wish and have tried to get to Governor Fashola just to advise him about potential pitfalls and more efficient systems and ways for planning. I have consistently studied Satellite imagery of Lagos extensively and now tend to believe that some of these expatriates are actually out to sabotage us and stifle our development. I sometimes wish to get a chance to Master plan an unspoilt area such as Calabar, or even Uyo because I believe that proper planning will jump start the economies of these areas and lessons learned from Lagos, will be used to avoid pitfalls.

I have learned to love Nigeria again in the past 4 years, and it kills me each day watching clueless people destroy it further by failing to plan for it's future. This is why my previous response may have been harsh, because at the moment Nigeria and Nigerians should forget about reinventing the wheel, but focus on exposures worldwide, and mimic what works best to get us started on the right track. We should be studying the true costs of Infrastructure plans over a time factor, instead of cheap immediate gratification that are more expensive on the long run.

I hope you don't feel offended by my previous remarks. It was only a venting of the frustration I am going through from feeling impotent about not being able to do anything in regards to mistakes being made in Nigeria. It even hurts me more when I see a Great Governor finally in my home state trying to do positive things, but not being able to be reached with advise that can enhance his goals. Most Nigerians with their so-called expatriate advisers are usually coming up with ideas that will fatten their pockets rather than the overall good of the community. I therefore apologize it you feel slighted by my previous remark.

I really do agree with everything you've said in the above paragraphs, and it's expressions like this that show you are working with and not against. I completely understand why you feel frustrated, it is understandable, Nigeria has so much potential, in fact you have so much potential but yet, we are barely making progress.

I would like to ask for permission to post your article on my blog (giving proper references where needed), it is inspiring, I almost feel like gathering a petition, Nairaland might be a great place to start.

You are abundant with information, I just wish that one day you will get that response from Governor Fashola, this travesty cannot be allowed to continue in Nigeria.

I really do feel that action is needed.

Have you received responses from the governor yet??
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 11:54am On Sep 07, 2009
larez:

Thanks for your encouragement. But would you believe that I actually know the Governors Brother very well, His Brother-in-law very well, and many other direct contacts to him. My personal estimation is that these guys are scared of my direct contact with him, and will rather milk me for ideas that they will go claim as their own. Some people do the work while some just want to "chop". Once again, thanks for caring though.

Thanks for your encouragement, and yes you are free to use the post as you wish. For your information, I am currently working on combining satellite imagery of various areas such as Surulere in an effort to critique current traffic layout and create a comprehensive solution. In seeking solutions we really need to plan for 25 years down the road rather than containing current traffic issues. We need to define highways, collector roads (Avenues), primary and secondary roads, all the way down to cul de sacs. From defining these, we can then start looking at restricting access to major roads from secondary ones, while allowing 2 paths out of the secondaries. I believe we can all add our quota to better our environment, but will anyone listen?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 7:08am On Sep 14, 2009
Not enough willing ears I guess, it depends on networking and links, as everything else in most industries related to construction, however, in other parts of the world, there is the element of the person with the best skills gets the best positions.

Thanks for allowing me to use it on my blog. I will add it and the appropriate references to you as soon as I get enough time to do so.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 10:40am On Sep 14, 2009
Honestly, i am about to give up. Look at this layout that I did after scaling Satellite imagery. 80 Lots and space for a Clubhouse, right across from Gbagada adjacent to Anthony.  Just needs a little drainage management, which will enhance the project. At N15m/lot this is N1.2B. Currently marshland, but can be changed. I've been trying to present this, but all I get is dancing around. Now compare the planned area to the chaos around it. There is also potential to have a ring road that will solve Maryland Anthony traffic issues. Noone to listen.

Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 6:44pm On Sep 14, 2009
Do not give up, you have so much potential, if you do then your argument about unfairness in the field becomes weaker. Who is no one anyway?? If someone misses the opportunity to team up with you for such a project then that is their loss. It could also be that that piece of land is already being developed by another company.

I would pursue it if I feel that the stress and will be worth it, as surely the rewards of seeing it and thousands of Nigerians seeing it and being able to benefit from the improvment in traffic flow, not only this, but being able to achieve such a thing will surely launch you into a more challenging atmosphere. I hope that you always remember to follow your dreams.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So the average price per lot would be:

£58,756.84 which is affordable.

With the use of networks you've already acquired in the building trade, there are still no supporters?? Is it that sending around plans could allow others to 'steal' your idea?? I really think you should go for this, after all some wise Nairalander said that the situations we are in in life, is through choices we make. I really wish that I had more power, but I am just a student.

Is there any way you can complete the project bit by bit, it might take several years, but if you are passionate about it, you can do it. I know I sound naive, but I can only have faith in those who have faith in themselves. I haven't seen the particulars of your design, and if you don't mind you could share it.

By the way are you registered on www.skyscrapercity.com??
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 8:52pm On Sep 14, 2009
It is interesting that you say that some other company may try to steal the idea and run with it. I will simply say goodluck to that company. See the thing ab out people who steal ideas is that they lack vision. They are always seeking the fast buck, and hardly do any homework but assume that they have stolen all the gems. This is why we see white elephant projects all over Nigeria. People who try to benefit from other people's hard work without adequate compensation will have kharma catchup with them in the long run.

After my post that you responded to, I have kept my generator running to further research the feasibility and discover why such land would still be there without people rushing to grab it up. You should be aware that many people in the Lekki Axis will love to move back to the mainland because of serious floods and traffic jams. This was the reason that I started looking for potential land that could be properly developed on the mainland. Now, they say a picture speaks a thousand words: In my bid to confirm the property that was posted, I decided to checkout the drainage system for the area to be able to project the kind of flooding to expect in the immediate environs.

Surprisingly, what I discovered set me all the way to the beginning of Ikorodu road at Western Avenue, and traced it back to the property, and then from the property to Opebi after Maryland and Ikeja. In this process, I discovered why Palm Grove was given it's name, and why certain areas of Ikorodu road will always stay flooded, with the roadway breaking up constantly. Lagos is not overall as flat as I used to assume you know, there are parts of Lagos that are 100 feet above sea level. I had often assumed that the creeks were pretty much drainage at about water level throughout Lagos and will rise and fall with the tide at the water bodies.

Now, I have discovered that many of those creeks are much above sea level, and basically act as dam traps that the immediate area or more drain into after rainfall, which the water consequently releases after cresting. Furthermore, I discovered that when there are heavy rains, and all these traps are emptying at the same time, there is the possibility of very Major floods that will take a while to recede since any extra rain will flow directly off the traps until evaporation and absorption happens.

With this study today, I can comfortably say that Lagos has almost been destroyed by ignorance and civil servants without a clue. If I were the planner of Lagos, I will put a moratorium on any permits for construction on the mainland around certain drainage areas until I can present a case solution for the problems. I say this because, there are some people who are sandfilling certain important areas of drainage that will consequently cause water to flow faster and reduce absorption which will create heavy floods in lower elevations. A lot of damages have happened already from the overbuilding of land, which is causing water to have less surface areas to drain and thus speeding it' decent to catchment areas.

In the United States, most building departments have rules about new developments that state that the flow of water off the disturbed natural surfaces (The perimeter of the development), should have no more water flowing off the land post development than pre development. What this means is that the quantity of water flowing off the perimeter in it's natural state, should not be exceeded after completion of the sub-division. The reason for this is obvious. when you build on Land, you are preventing that area of the Land from absorbing some water, as well as slowing down the rate of flow of water. Hence, the areas left will have a tendency to flood, and because of the higher water level cause the runoff down slopes to be faster. Shrubbery and grass, and even sand will slow the water flow.

In Lagos, people overbuild their properties. There is an impervious limit in building departments all over the U.S as well. For example, You can only build on a certain percentage of your property, with the rest of the area being undisturbed (natural state) or with grass and trees planted. All these just in an effort to reduce the rate flow of water from precipitation. None of these are considered in Lagos, and then they wonder why there is flooding.

Take a look at the following pictures and spot where the problems are. I have noted them, and my experience on the ground has confirmed the areas that I always see flooded after rainfalls. with a critical eye, you will be able to spot them with these shots that begin at the end of Western Ave and beginning of Ikorodu road. The shots follow through Northwards and then veer westward towards the last shots. I want you to share what you can decipher, and I'll confirm with you. There are solutions for these problems, but this time around, I want to get paid for it. All the money they are wasting on rebuilding roads will continue being waste until the roots of the problems are taken care of. I will add a few comments to the pictures as well at least to note the danger zones where intervention should be an emergency.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagos Proposes A Regional Masterplan For Ikorodu / Lagosians Rendered Homeless After Ambode Destroyed Their Houses In Ajah(pics) / Why Do People Behave Very Wicked Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.