Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,463 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Any Architects In The House? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Any Architects In The House? (23008 Views)

Architects In The House: Draw Near / Architects In D House, Drawing Of A Four Bedroom Duplex Please! / Architects In Nigeria? (For Industrial Construction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 2:28pm On Jul 16, 2009
topup:

It wasn't stated, but it was heavily implied.

And you sure took it out of context because it was indeed in reference to Western Architecture. Tell your knucklehead friend that. By the way, were you the one who deleted my previous post?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by yoruba: 2:37pm On Jul 16, 2009
My point is, a poor/rich guy doesnt care what sort of architectural backround it is all he see is a building. When he walks in a neighborhood that has buildings like Lavez houses(trust me there is are alot in america) he wouldnt even tell the difference between the previous and the next. So whats the use of looking at your building if it is done before.
If you look at the Minnesota Stadium, a random guy would probably think its a 'government building' because of its historic reference in the aesthetics of the building.(It is the type of buildings that adds to the depression of the society), where as buildings like Allianz Arena, Birds nest(By the way its called Contemporary Architecture) etc. are good to marvel at because they are aesthetically pleasing to look at also are innovative (in terms of their technical solutions) and not been done before.(in tern the entire society has pride for that structure)
Architects should remember that they are not only designing buildings but are designing an environment, and should step away from there own point of view(like Larez definitions) and start taking users and non-users into consideration. Imagine putting a contemporary house in a neighborhood full of Larez's houses, people start to appreciate that house because of its difference and the users feel comfort because it is designed according to there needs.
A piece of advise, Modern Architecture refers to the 1960 Architecture(le Corbusier, minimalist etc) and Allianz, Birds nest and Valencia stadiums are examples of Contemporary Architecture
And Im waiting for you(Larez) to show me your awards and articles.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by lysaa(f): 3:05pm On Jul 16, 2009
larez:

Would be nice if you posted some pictures of what you consider relativism. We may debate better if we have omse visuals to pin-point, despite our differing school of thoughts.

thats it!
until one can put up a picturial reference for his criticism, its nothing but an imagination and therefore not substantiable for arguement.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2009
I am very furious at the so0called moderator who deleted my response to this obvious fool who has no clue of what Architecture is really about. People like this are the ones miseducating people in Nigeria and thus creating a whole bunch more of clueless people.

In my deleted post, I actually did a critique regarding the 2 pictures that Mr. Clueless had posted and recommended a couple of historical Architects for him to look up. I am not about to go through all that again, and may actually come back to delete all my posts in this thread. Here is a Kid in school that has barely learned anything about Architecture speaking with self deluded authority about what he knows nothing about. 

Update: The previous post in reference has since shown up.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2009
No longer applies, previous post showed.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by lysaa(f): 3:32pm On Jul 16, 2009
i believe in dynamics, relativism but they have to be influenced by history if not it stands alone not as unique but to fall.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
larez:

I am very furious at the so0called moderator who deleted my response to this obvious fool who has no clue of what Architecture is really about. People like this are the ones miseducating people in Nigeria and thus creating a whole bunch more of clueless people.

In my deleted post, I actually did a critique regarding the 2 pictures that Mr. Clueless had posted and recommended a couple of historical Architects for him to look up. I am not about to go through all that again, and may actually come back to delete all my posts in this thread. Here is a Kid in school that has barely learned anything about Architecture speaking with self deluded authority about what he knows nothing about.

If you want to make sure that your posts are not deleted, you can try and present your opinion without making insults to your 'opponent'.

Secondly, how do you know he hasn't gone to school?? What if those are his opinions?

larez:

And you sure took it out of context because it was indeed in reference to Western Architecture. Tell your knucklehead friend that. By the way, were you the one who deleted my previous post?

I did not take it out of context, I believed that your images were refering to Nigerian architecture, since that is what the original topic of thread is concerned with. You chose to go out of context in using your examples, the two pictures of lovely homes - which I really liked.

However, assuming that we were discussing architecture, in the context of Nigeria, I assumed you were suggesting those for Nigeria. It was then that I realised that all the emphasis you had placed in your speech about indeginous architecture and naive nigerian architects not developing architecture informed by the country's history contradicted the images of buildings which obviously have no relevance to the history of nigeria. You advocated compounds, and intricately decorated exteriors and the picture depicted the opposite. Was it my fault I got confused.

Anyways, we are not here to argue, it is possible to discuss without getting personal.

You are still entitled to your views and I mine. I would like to return to the original purpose of this forum.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2009
I've realised that the word architecture to most Nigeria holds no position, no power.

You can construct something, giving power to the construction manager,
you can build something, giving power to the builder,
you can engineer something, . . . . . . . . . . . . .engineer, but you can't architect. . the word has to be converted into the closest verb and we lose the architect sad.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by DisGuy: 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2009
Larez,calm down; your posts were not deleted by the moderator, they are caught be a spam filter software,wink
it will appear very soon smiley
Re: Any Architects In The House? by lekside44(m): 8:20pm On Jul 17, 2009
FOR WANNA BE Architects MAIL LEKSIDE44@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Any Architects In The House? by larez(m): 9:45pm On Jul 17, 2009
Dis Guy:

Larez,calm down; your posts were not deleted by the moderator, they are caught be a spam filter software,wink
it will appear very soon smiley

Thanks Dis Guy, you can see why I was frustrated. It was a lengthy one, and I would have hated to know that all that effort was in vain. Thanks once again. smiley
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 4:02pm On Jul 22, 2009
Hey!!!! what happened to this thread?? had hoped to see a lot to read
after the break but,
i guess there was too much beef
i tot the thread was about naija architecture/architects and related matters
where did all the argument start from. angry
Re: Any Architects In The House? by DisGuy: 4:16pm On Jul 22, 2009
larez:

Thanks Dis Guy, you can see why I was frustrated. It was a lengthy one, and I would have hated to know that all that effort was in vain. Thanks once again. smiley

I understand , does my head in too! been reporting it to the site owner- he is currently finetuning the software

mahal:

If we say the NIA have failed us by not creating a solid base or institution for the profession in Nigeria,
and frustrating the young architects by all mean they can,
what can we do as the younger generation of Architects in Nigeria to salvage the situation?

Frankly, i believe the Older generation of architects have no fresh ideas in their heads anymore
thus, creating this stagnant state we find ourselves in this field, but they still wield the mace and
make all the laws regulating the practice in Nigeria. it's clear they get  all the major jobs, hand i over to the young ones without making much
input, determine and collect the fees for the job and pay the young studio architects peanuts. some even go the extent of keeping worker for months without pay.
Sadly, this cuts across and is obtainable most firms if not all architecture firms in the country.
Any suggestion, good or bad is welcomed.

How about inviting some senior architects, to the forum via their website or perhaps
organise something for New/younger Architects,
read something not too long ago about Law firms having a minimum wage sort of thing
where the freshers are not used
like slaves
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 4:42pm On Jul 22, 2009
"How about inviting some senior architects, to the forum via their website or perhaps
organise something for New/younger Architects,
read something not too long ago about Law firms having a minimum wage sort of thing
where the freshers are not used
like slaves"

It is a good suggestion Dis Guy,
But you should know that the Nigerian bar Association is a bigger
and more organized Association than the NIA.
i see a lot of lawyers longing to attend the annual NBA conference,, i dont think it's the
same attitude we have with the Archibuilt or the Colloquium
Again, I believe the remuneration of the worker in an Average Archi firm is
better than that of an ave. law firm. (i may not be fully right)
Such Minimum wage policies may not sell with our senior and established
architects.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by trulyopal(f): 12:03pm On Jul 28, 2009
HEY EVERY ONE
Architects are thesame ,whereever they are be it Nigeria, SA,UK,US,
always lookin for oppurtunities to bash each other. i thought this thread was to be an opener for the poster, who is a student as to what 2 expect upon graduation and related stuffs.
but d posted 3-D's are really lovely. pls no bashin, act like d proffessionals u ar smiley
Re: Any Architects In The House? by trulyopal(f): 12:15pm On Jul 28, 2009
Let me say somethin from d nija perspective, as a practicing architect here, im afraid nigerian Architect are heading towards extinction. sad
Reasons are ;
- Architects are becoming irrelevant in d building industry. Nigeria is a 3rd world country that is primarily concerned on providing basic infrastructures, therefore architectural creativity is really low on the priority list of nascent national issues.
- There are too many architects (include OND, HND ,BSC,MSC) that are attempting to out number the potential clients.
- No retirement age for any Architect ,therefore things revolve around a certain tight circle.
- hmmmm and the worst of all is d infiltration of all sorts of quack expitrates, that are given more preference than the indegenious architects, irrespective of the fact they have no NIA mambership, in some severe cases no formal eductaion in the proffession.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 3:29pm On Jul 31, 2009
truly-opal:

Let me say somethin from d nija perspective, as a practicing architect here, im afraid nigerian Architect are heading towards extinction. sad

Truly- opal, God wont allow that to happen,
what's the way out/?
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 3:46pm On Jul 31, 2009
truly-opal:

Reasons are ;

- hmmmm and the worst of all is d infiltration of all sorts of quack expitrates,

Well, i don't fully agree that they are quacks, i am really impressed by their works
from The Palms, Nnamdi Azikiwe International, MM2, Julius berger Head office, National Assembly,
The NCC headquarters, However, not being members of the NIA could cut them down to that. and so are millions of
OND, HND, BSC, MSC graduates that have failed to get their seals.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 6:09am On Aug 03, 2009
Truly Opal: I'm sure that's a concern for most of the people visiting this topic.

Update: I am considering doing my year out placement in Lagos for the year 2010-2011. I have no idea how to go about it, especially as I am based in the UK and I have no relatives who are architects, so I would have to rely purely on contacting strangers, and since there are concerns about the struggle of the Nigerian Architect, I am really praying for positive responses. Who knows I might not get a placement in a good firm in Lagos next year, who knows I might. But I have only a bit of time to get everything sorted, approvals, papers and the sort.

Also, have any of the members of this forum got any great links or blogs they could link to, I'm working on a blog (which I'm not trying to promote through this topic so I will not link unless requested). The blog will contain lots of examples of contemporary Nigerian Architecture, over time I hope to refine it to consist of works by Nigerian Architects only and less of the modern and universal styles but more of styles with authentic Nigerian flavour smiley.

As for the debate about the relevance of architects in Nigeria, continue smiley

I'm enjoying some really valid points brought forward by posters.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 6:46am On Aug 03, 2009
We are not forgotten, we are not insignificant, a small call for responses to this topic has led to over 140 replies and over 2390 of interest.

Architecture is significant and will forever be significant I believe.

I re-iterate from the original post:

"I'm looking for advice, comments, testimonies, stories ANYTHING about the world of Architecture that exists in Nigeria.

So, what are your experiences, even if you're not an Architect, but have required one, or considered using one, or you know one, just leave a line.

I'm doing some research about this, looking specifically at the demand for Architects, the influence of Architects on exisiting buildings, and if need be, please relate it to engineering, though I would prefer to discuss arcchitecture."

I believe that there will always be a silent demand for architects, maybe not actively, but passively through the experience of badly designed buildings and that feeling you get when you know 'there has to be better than this.'

Lastly I was reading a book called; "Why Buildings Stand Up" by Mario Salvadori and I found this part interesting: " A good architect today must be a generalist, well versed in space distribution, construction techniques, and electrical and mechanical systems, but also knowledgeable in financing, real estate, human behaviour, and social conduct. In addition, he is an artist, entitled to the expression of his aesthetic tenets. He must know about so many specialities that he is sometimes said to know nothing about everything." The book went on to explain how engineers are "by training and mental make-up a pragmatist." "He is an expert in certain specific aspects of engineering and in those aspects only. There are today not only structural engineers, but structural engineers who specialize only in concrete design or only in the design of concrete domes or even in the design of concrete domes of one particular shape. No wonder the engineer is said to be a man who knows everything about nothing."

"The personalities of these two are bound to clash. Lucky is the client whose architect understands structure and whose structural engineer appreciates the aesthetics of architecture."

I completely agree with this.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 2:45pm On Aug 03, 2009
topup:

Update: I am considering doing my year out placement in Lagos for the year 2010-2011. I have no idea how to go about it, especially as I am based in the UK and I have no relatives who are architects, so I would have to rely purely on contacting strangers, and since there are concerns about the struggle of the Nigerian Architect, I am really praying for positive responses. Who knows I might not get a placement in a good firm in Lagos next year, who knows I might. But I have only a bit of time to get everything sorted, approvals, papers and the sort.

@topup
There are very good firms in Lagos where you can do your year out placement. if I have your email I can send you contacts of people I know in such firms as AT Onajide, ACCL. You seem to prefer Lagos. Otherwise, If you want Abuja, I can give contacts in Habitat Associates. It's one of the topmost firms in Nigeria. Alternatively, you can simply send emails to these firms through their websites. They may be happy to consider you. I have just mentioned the places I have contacts in. There are other very good firms such as FMA (Femi Majekodumni Architects), ECAD Lagos.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 3:10pm On Aug 03, 2009
Fredique:

@topup
There are very good firms in Lagos where you can do your year out placement. if I have your email I can send you contacts of people I know in such firms as AT Onajide, ACCL. You seem to prefer Lagos. Otherwise, If you want Abuja, I can give contacts in Habitat Associates. It's one of the topmost firms in Nigeria. Alternatively, you can simply send emails to these firms through their websites. They may be happy to consider you. I have just mentioned the places I have contacts in. There are other very good firms such as FMA (Femi Majekodumni Architects), ECAD Lagos.

www.atoarch.com
www.accl.biz
www.abrucharchitects.com
www.aim-consultants.com
www.klifconsultants.net
www.elmanseur
www.ecadarchitects.com
www.jamescubitt.com
www.ghkarchitects.com
www.interstatearchitects.com/
www.fmaarchitects.com
www.spacewebconsulting.co.uk
www.elmansuratelier.com
www.hyperexint.com
www.cogeds.com
www.dnl-ng.com

a few i can remember,

www.niarchitects.org

You should also know that millions of other students in Architecture in Nigeria are looking for placements too
in the good firms, so you should be prepared to proof urself with perhaps a good portfolio
and skills that may be needed so as to give you an edge over others.

amongst the lot, i was really impressed by
ACCL and ECAD
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 5:34pm On Aug 03, 2009
Fredique:

@topup

Hi, and thanks for the info. it's really helpful. I'll try and get in contact.

Mahal, thanks for the websites, I'll try and send my CV to all of them.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 8:38pm On Aug 03, 2009
Lastly I was reading a book called; "Why Buildings Stand Up" by Mario Salvadori and I found this part interesting: " A good architect today must be a generalist, well versed in space distribution, construction techniques, and electrical and mechanical systems, but also knowledgeable in financing, real estate, human behaviour, and social conduct. In addition, he is an artist, entitled to the expression of his aesthetic tenets. He must know about so many specialities that he is sometimes said to know nothing about everything." The book went on to explain how engineers are "by training and mental make-up a pragmatist." "He is an expert in certain specific aspects of engineering and in those aspects only. There are today not only structural engineers, but structural engineers who specialize only in concrete design or only in the design of concrete domes or even in the design of concrete domes of one particular shape. No wonder the engineer is said to be a man who knows everything about nothing."

"The personalities of these two are bound to clash. Lucky is the client whose architect understands structure and whose structural engineer appreciates the aesthetics of architecture."

I completely agree with this.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 11:23pm On Aug 03, 2009
topup:

ANYTHING about the world of Architecture that exists in Nigeria[/b].

Mr. Top, You may find this useful, all about:
CLASSIFICATION OF NIGERIAN ARCHITECTURE by
Dr. (Mrs.) Bogda Prucnal-Ogunsote, Department of Architecture, Federal University of Technology, Akure.

sdngnet.com/, /Classification%20of%20Nigerian%20Architecture.pdf
Re: Any Architects In The House? by mahal(m): 11:26pm On Aug 03, 2009
www.sdngnet.com
for some Journals and Publications on Nigerian Architecture
Thanks to Dr. (Mrs.) Bogda Prucnal-Ogunsote
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 2:06am On Aug 05, 2009
mahal:

www.sdngnet.com
for some Journals and Publications on Nigerian Architecture
Thanks to Dr. (Mrs.) Bogda Prucnal-Ogunsote

Thanks, I've gotten in contact with them too, they have some interesting and useful publications.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by DisGuy: 2:07pm On Aug 05, 2009
Is there any reason why architects have not explored social housing estates (not too sure if they are the ones to recommend this)
in place of the very expensive 'low cost housing' being built nowadays, though they have their own problems especially with anti-social behaviours
congestion and environment with good design these can be avoided,
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 5:33pm On Aug 05, 2009
Dis Guy:

Is there any reason why architects have not explored social housing estates (not too sure if they are the ones to recommend this)
in place of the very expensive 'low cost housing' being built nowadays, though they have their own problems especially with anti-social behaviours
congestion and environment with good design these can be avoided,

Social housing even in predominantly welfare governments does not work for several reasons:

1-the demand always exceeds the provision generating very long waiting lists.
2-Fiscal burden on government to both build, service and maintain the buildings.
3-It does not agree with the reigning private and market sector paradigm.

Architects might not be the ones to recommend this:
1-Most are elitist (this can be debated) and will not offer their services for social reasons
2-It might not be of any financial benefit to architects (who may be interested in their fees) because the government will find using in house architects more cost effective (since the idea should be low cost housing). In house architects in government works department are salaried civil servants.

most of the low cost housing schemes is a mockery of 'low income' households.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 7:34pm On Aug 05, 2009
Fredique:

Social housing even in predominantly welfare governments does not work for several reasons:

1-the demand always exceeds the provision generating very long waiting lists.
2-Fiscal burden on government to both build, service and maintain the buildings.
3-It does not agree with the reigning private and market sector paradigm.

Architects might not be the ones to recommend this:
1-Most are elitist (this can be debated) and will not offer their services for social reasons
2-It might not be of any financial benefit to architects (who may be interested in their fees) because the government will find using in house architects more cost effective (since the idea should be low cost housing). In house architects in government works department are salaried civil servants.

most of the low cost housing schemes is a mockery of 'low income' households.

Hi, unfortunately I disagree with most of the reasons and points, I am not disputing the fact that they are relevant or that they exist, but I just wonder if in fact these are significantly important reasons to dispell the whole idea.

I believe the reason why social housing estates haven't been explored as much as it could be (in Nigeria) is more due to the fact that there is little precedent for this in Nigeria. If this was the UK I would have sufficient data to comment on the idea of crime rates and ghetto formation, especially in Counsil estates and community apartments in cities where there was an increase in demand for low-cost accomodation.

I definitely believe that social housing projects should be explored in Nigeria because unlike in other countries, Nigerians have a great sense of community and there are still reminants of communal spirit.

1 - Waiting lists are a part of life, there always has to be demand before there is supply, this system is worth investigating and improving rather than ignoring, and it's not that the government does not have the funds to support something like this.

2 - There are so many areas that the Nigerian government is lacking in, it owes its citizens this basic need, we should expect and demand that the government should service and maintain all its buildings, the positive results outweigh the input costs, after all can you put a value on decreased crime rate, increased security, national togetherness, pride in country, visual proof of a successful country etc.

3 - I believe there needs to be more sectors created, and we need to continue to push boundaries, there is no problem with increasing options and going against the norm, if its results mean that it improves current conditions, since the current conditions does not satisfy everyone. Equally you cannot satify everyone but there is no problem in trying.

I do agree that the points you mentioned are problems with current social housing, but I don't believe they should hinder further development and research into future social housing schemes.

There are many examples of successful social housing projects, what is important to know is that the projects catered directly for the need, they took into consdieration their target market, the budgets, materials and there was extensive consideration of the site in question.

If any one of these criteria was ignored, the project may have been unsuccessful. Most of the successful projects I have found are in the scandinavian parts of Europe.

If the Nigerian government chooses not to explore social housing then they better be able to come up with some better solutions for the problem,  because we can't ignore it.

"The biggest problem for the city thus far has been its infrastructure, despite the recent admirable attempts to provide reliable public transport by the Governor of Lagos state; Babatunde Fashola, there definitely needs to be more done about it. Though it is refreshing to know that this surely is a good start. Nigerians will always welcome a good start.

The question is:

By 2015 when Lagos is said to become the third largest city in the world, will we be ready?

Will Lagos be ready for the predicted increase in the level of crime, the increased energy demand, food demand and other demands that its people are sure to make."

READ MORE HERE http://nigerianarchitecture..com/2009/08/2015-will-we-be-ready.html
Re: Any Architects In The House? by Fredique(m): 8:48pm On Aug 05, 2009
You have a strong argument. . However, The reason I'm not optimistic about social housing in Nigeria is the institutional context (low-cost housing is actually the theme of my dissertation). Not because social housing in itself cannot work. I believe social housing should be a component of the welfare package of the state. The Scandinavian countries you mentioned are predominantly welfare states. Nigeria (and most african countries) ever since the IMF imposed structural adjustment programme have tended towards market driven neo-liberal policies. Social housing is not consistent with those neo-liberal policies. No government who claims to be privatizing government buildings like they have done in lagos and Abuja, as well as deregulate petroleum product will buy into the idea building social housing.

In the UK, the conservative government under Tatcher privatized council housing and provided a route to home ownership. It's because of the privatization paradigm that government staff housing was privatized in Abuja. In the US it has also failed because of the predominantly capitalist paradigm (there may be other reasons)

I agree that the Nigerian government should be socially responsible and have welfare packages. I'm not saying the reasons are justified. I'm just saying that social housing is unlikely in the present policy context. In a more developed democracy, this would be an issue of debate between political parties. That's why you have right wing parties (favouring neo-liberal policies) and left wing (favouring big government spending on social services). Unfortunately, that is not the case in Nigeria. The differences between the political parties are not ideological, hence peole change parties at will for selfish reasons. Unfortunately again, there are outside forces. Nigeria still depends on foreign loans (yar'adua took one recently). The loans come with 'conditionalities' and alot of the 'conditionalities' are in sympathy with neo-liberal policies. let's not forget that the inability to follow through with programmes because of corruption and beaureacratic inefficiencies in the case of Nigeria will add to the problem with institutional context. This is a reality that can not be ignored in Nigeria (at least for now)

The other thing is that you would want it to be sustainable. In other words, building 2000 houses this year, would not cause a dent in the hundreds of thousands living in slum settlements if it is not instituted by law as a policy that is to be continued and sustained.

In a larger global context (that is with respect to developing countries), this debate has actually moved from social housing, to sites-and-services, and then to self-help. Now what is predominant in low income housing discourse is community-initiated housing (which is what I am investigating). That seems to be the way of the future. It has its own problems, but its strenght lies in the fact that it seeks to leverage on the processes that the poor have used over time to build for themselves (eg slum settlements) to find solutions to the low income housing problems in developing countries. It is a bottom up approach that seeks to build communities and address other social issues.

I'm trying not to be academic here but I believe you get my drift.
Re: Any Architects In The House? by topup: 12:36am On Aug 07, 2009
Fredique:

You have a strong argument. . However, The reason I'm not optimistic about social housing in Nigeria is the institutional context (low-cost housing is actually the theme of my dissertation). Not because social housing in itself cannot work. I believe social housing should be a component of the welfare package of the state. The Scandinavian countries you mentioned are predominantly welfare states. Nigeria (and most african countries) ever since the IMF imposed structural adjustment programme have tended towards market driven neo-liberal policies. Social housing is not consistent with those neo-liberal policies. No government who claims to be privatizing government buildings like they have done in lagos and Abuja, as well as deregulate petroleum product will buy into the idea building social housing.

In the UK, the conservative government under Tatcher privatized council housing and provided a route to home ownership. It's because of the privatization paradigm that government staff housing was privatized in Abuja. In the US it has also failed because of the predominantly capitalist paradigm (there may be other reasons)

I agree that the Nigerian government should be socially responsible and have welfare packages. I'm not saying the reasons are justified. I'm just saying that social housing is unlikely in the present policy context. In a more developed democracy, this would be an issue of debate between political parties. That's why you have right wing parties (favouring neo-liberal policies) and left wing (favouring big government spending on social services). Unfortunately, that is not the case in Nigeria. The differences between the political parties are not ideological, hence peole change parties at will for selfish reasons. Unfortunately again, there are outside forces. Nigeria still depends on foreign loans (yar'adua took one recently). The loans come with 'conditionalities' and alot of the 'conditionalities' are in sympathy with neo-liberal policies. let's not forget that the inability to follow through with programmes because of corruption and beaureacratic inefficiencies in the case of Nigeria will add to the problem with institutional context. This is a reality that can not be ignored in Nigeria (at least for now)

The other thing is that you would want it to be sustainable. In other words, building 2000 houses this year, would not cause a dent in the hundreds of thousands living in slum settlements if it is not instituted by law as a policy that is to be continued and sustained.

In a larger global context (that is with respect to developing countries), this debate has actually moved from social housing, to sites-and-services, and then to self-help. Now what is predominant in low income housing discourse is community-initiated housing (which is what I am investigating). That seems to be the way of the future. It has its own problems, but its strenght lies in the fact that it seeks to leverage on the processes that the poor have used over time to build for themselves (eg slum settlements) to find solutions to the low income housing problems in developing countries. It is a bottom up approach that seeks to build communities and address other social issues.

I'm trying not to be academic here but I believe you get my drift.

I must say that your response is fantastic, I completely understand the reasons behind your opinions now, and they seem justified.

I can see how community-initiated housing can be more beneficial, this agrees with the ideas of urban design where the use of focus groups is maximised, when people feel like they have a say and a certain amount of ownership over their community, then they tend to feel accountable for their surroundings, rather than feeling like a block of buildings and surroundings have been emposed on them, they can feel as if they chose their dwellings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lagosians Rendered Homeless After Ambode Destroyed Their Houses In Ajah(pics) / Can ₦2M Finish The Construction Of A 2-Bedroom Flat? / The LED Evolution: Revolutionizing Lighting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.