Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,021 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management (37635 Views)

My Experience In Nigeria Embassy / Bianca Ojukwu,the Best Thing To Have Happened To The Nigeria Embassy Madrid. / Nigeria Embassy London Worst Mgmt Thread - Outdated! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by londoner: 11:55am On Jul 06, 2009
Its not about being "White", if you had lived with White people or around them, you would know that some of them also dont behave like human beings either, lol

This glorification of Whites needs to stop. Even if we just followed the example of peaceful, respectful and orderly embassies of other African countries it would turn our embassy around 200%.

I think if they employ Nigerians who were either born here, or spent their formative years here, it would be a totally different place. Or alternatively actually give staff strict customer service training and have stiff penalties if they recieve complaints. I have worked with young Nigerians who are forced to deliver good customer service because if they put a foot wrong they will be sacked on the spot and they know it.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by U1(m): 1:09pm On Jul 06, 2009
shocked shocked shocked Chuo! I thought this people limit their practice to the country, so they have exported it too. Talk about the Nigerian factor.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Ilelobola: 2:17pm On Jul 06, 2009
londoner:

I think if they employ Nigerians who were either born here, or spent their formative years here, it would be a totally different place. Or alternatively actually give staff strict customer service training and have stiff penalties if they recieve complaints. I have worked with young Nigerians who are forced to deliver good customer service because if they put a foot wrong they will be sacked on the spot and they know it.

I don't think it's about where one was born or where formative years are spent. There are Nigerians on HSMP visas or others who came here when they were much older who do a professional job in whatever they do.

If the NHC had a head who cared about customer service his/her staff would change their attitudes.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by N101: 8:54pm On Jul 06, 2009
ehisianya:

Nigeriana will never be or behave like europeans no matter how long they have spent in europe. It is a national disgrace any where Nigeria name is mentioned in the world. Educating someone in mind and not in morals is to add much menance to the society. I read with dismay all the surfferings of fellow country men and women at our past glory embassy in uk. Our Minster of external affairs what is his role in updating this commissions. Despite Government funding, they are to generate fund thru: Good customer care, Rebranding of Nigeria, etc just like their counterparts in other embassies. Do u know how much USA and UK embassies make in Nigeria alone?

ONE NIGERIA IN DEED. WE ARE ONLY FOOLING OURSELVES.

Does anybody in Government  care about all these TOUTS and thier attitude ?

SHAME TO SELF ACCLAIMED GIANT OF AFRICA.
Nezan:

See wahala-o. Must we be like dem? abi we be white men too? African inferiority complex angry
I'm hoping I have read this wrong, but why must behaving properly towards your own somehow imply behaving "white"?  Are we saying that black people are incapable of showing basic courtesy and decent customer service towards their own?

ehisianya - Do you know how much the Nigerian embassies/high commissions make from the UK and USA alone?

I never had this much trouble in the Kenyan Embassy.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Shentz(f): 9:31pm On Jul 06, 2009
Yeah i hate going there its just like Nigeria and I get soo hot and bothered and ready to scream at the next person who slightly irrtates me
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by LadyT(f): 10:08pm On Jul 06, 2009
Please we Nigerians are so razz!

They bring that Mushin/Oshodi mentality to everything they do.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Sauron1: 10:10pm On Jul 06, 2009
LadyT:

No way. . . . .keep it down to LadyT is razz.
Stop generalising. . . . . .there are posh Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Hesperus(m): 10:22pm On Jul 06, 2009
Men, I have never stepped into that building, and I dont look forward to it either.
Got my e-passport last year in Naija, cost me 20k and the whole process (payment, biometrics and collection) took 3 days!
Egunje spoil nothin, lol!
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by londoner: 11:04pm On Jul 06, 2009
Ilelobola:

I don't think it's about where one was born or where formative years are spent. There are Nigerians on HSMP visas or others who came here when they were much older who do a professional job in whatever they do.

If the NHC had a head who cared about customer service his/her staff would change their attitudes.

Its possible, but so much easier to employ people who already have it as a way of life, rather than something which is alien to them. Just like I said, there are collegues of mine who were born and raised in Nigeria but do a good job with customers. I have to say though, they have been known to physically fight eachother in the workplace and have cussing matches with eachother as well as talking overly loud. Their "Nigerianess" come out in other ways including how they speak to senior staff
Its a societal problem where they misinterpret there position to be one which is lauded over those they are supposed to serve. We dont need to do them a favour by giving them a job, get rid of them and replace them with Nigerians who understand the correct way of doing things. They have learned the "Nigerian" way precisely because they is what they know.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Kinkinatus(m): 12:46pm On Jul 07, 2009
You guys think you had it bad. My partner went there to renew her passport, and for having the temerity to confront one of the counter staff (some Igbo guy), for attending to some queue jumpers, she was told and I quote, “if you like, cross that counter and come over here, I will give you the beating of your life”. This was said by counter staff meant to be attending to the public in the Nigerian High Commission in London. Thank God, For dual nationality. I want no part of that Nigerian High Commission!
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by omar22(m): 1:48pm On Jul 07, 2009
You guys think you had it bad. My partner went there to renew her passport, and for having the temerity to confront one of the counter staff (some Igbo guy), for attending to some queue jumpers, she was told and I quote, “if you like, cross that counter and come over here, I will give you the beating of your life”. This was said by counter staff meant to be attending to the public in the Nigerian High Commission in London. Thank God, For dual nationality. I want no part of that Nigerian High Commission!

E' yah, "beating of a life time" I guess that guy has never tasted beans and toast for Belmash or Holloway
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 07, 2009
LadyT:

They bring that Mushin/Oshodi mentality to everything they do.
speak for yourself miss.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by zibby(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2009
I went there a year ago to get a passport for my wife. The fun started with a phone call to the place. I had hardly asked my question when someone barked back:

"It's on the website! It's on the website! Check the website!" Actually, my question was not answered on the website, as the guy on the other end of line eventually realised.

The visit was quite an experience for my wife and I! I really didn't expect what I saw; it was hot and uncomfortable, the staff were not the most friendly I've ever encountered wink and the whole show was disorganised. The service was veeeery slow, in my opinion, due to the extremely casual manner in which the staff carried out their duties.

I recall one guy shouting something like, "Are we animals here? This is an international high commission!" The fact that he felt the need to shout that in the first place saddened me.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by LadyT(f): 9:12am On Jul 08, 2009
Kinkinatus:

OMG LMAO!!!!!!!!!! I cant laugh!

Sharrap Omo Ibo and Sauron is this topic not evidence of our razzness!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Sauron1: 12:51pm On Jul 08, 2009
LadyT:

OMG LMAO!!!!!!!!!! I cant laugh!

Sharrap Omo Ibo and Sauron is this topic not evidence of our razzness!

U are going to say that to my face soon. . . . . . angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by LadyT(f): 10:17pm On Jul 08, 2009
~Sauron~:

U are going to say that to my face soon. . . . . . angry angry angry angry angry

I cant wait infact I have a megaphone
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by beefy23(m): 3:48pm On Jul 17, 2009
N101:

I'm hoping I have read this wrong, but why must behaving properly towards your own somehow imply behaving "white"?  Are we saying that black people are incapable of showing basic courtesy and decent customer service towards their own?

I second and third your comments. It's indicative of a failed nation state if we can't even discern what is good and acceptable public behaviour. Some form of decency is hopefully one of the things that differentiates us from mere animals in the zoo. If we can't see that, it's clear that there's just no hope for us as a nation.

You know we make all this noise about how better we are than the Westerners because we are taught to respect our elders and all that usual African blah blah but when the rubber meets the road out in real life we show how nonsensical our 'we're better than them' attitude is.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by prettyH(f): 1:58pm On Jul 21, 2009
Hi guys,

Please how much will it cost to get e passports for kids in the Uk, they are between the ages of 3yrs to 6mths cos they have to go to naija end of July and which particular website do I apply cos there are different ones . I need to do it asap

As well, do they still endorse kids on mothers passports in the Uk?

Thanks
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by skfa1: 8:58am On Jul 24, 2009
prettyH:

Hi guys,

Please how much will it cost to get e passports for kids in the Uk, they are between the ages of 3yrs to 6mths cos they have to go to naija end of July and which particular website do I apply cos there are different ones . I need to do it asap

As well, do they still endorse kids on mothers passports in the Uk?

Thanks

Follow this link sister http://www.nigeriahc.org.uk/fees_processingonline.html
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by omar22(m): 11:40am On Jul 24, 2009
I went to watch Nigeria v Jamaica back into 2002 at QPR, despite the Met Police, the security, the system, Nigerians decided not to queue, some (a lot) decided to jump the fence at the West stand that the Jamaicans joined in, some decided to sit in other peoples seat despite your ticket had a seat number glaring at her, so am not shocked at the way they behaved at the embassy
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by prettyH(f): 2:29pm On Jul 24, 2009
Thanks skfa1 grin
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by skfa1: 9:47pm On Jul 24, 2009
prettyH:

Thanks skfa1 grin

Ur welcome wink
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by iykegomezi(m): 4:50pm On Aug 20, 2009
This is the metally, the staff encourage confusion, thats the way only way they can make money from bribes, thats why things have never changed, when things are run orderly there will be no reason for nigerians to give bride for passport to be collected in time. like any other government offices in nigeria, "create confusion make money", change the staff to british nigerian, break the circle. but we all know it would not happen because like the police Oga get in share, maybe God help nigeria
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by ono1: 12:51am On Aug 27, 2009
that place is a hell hole!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by ono1: 12:56am On Aug 27, 2009
The Nigerian Embassy  in London is a complete nightmare and an outright disgrace. That office is supposed to be  the gateway to Nigeria-What an introduction. The horrific stories are endless. Here are some of my experiences:

BUSINESS MEETING
a) I had set up a business meeting with some senior officials at the embassy. When we arrived there we proceed to the reception desk in the main hall and was greeted by a young lady who was very well presented. Although we couldnt see her whole body, her make up was well done and she wore a white shirt and a business jacket ie very professional. We told her we had a meeting with a rep from the embassy, she called through and proceeded to let us in. When she opened the door I nearly feinted  shocked   embarassed This woman was wearing shorts and flip flops. I cud do nothing but  grin

VISA
b) During one hot summer I went to the embassy to submit my visa application. I noticed the place was uncomfortably hot and sat down waiting patiently for my number to be called cool Around me, peolple were quietly complaining they were hot and were fanning themselves with whatever paper they could find. All of a sudden an old man feints infront of everyone in turn causing a pandemonium. Then one woman shouts out " HE DON DIE OHHHH, HE DON DIE OHHHH, People started shouting "Can you put the aircon on " A minute later an embassy worker ignoring all the frenzy, pulls out a remote control, presses a button and switches the aircon on. I laughed

VISA
c) Myself and another gentlemen applied for a multiple visa seperately but had to collect our passports on the same day.  On opening my passsport I noticed I had been given a single entry visa.  The same thing had happened to this other guy. We stood at counter together when we were asked "are your parents Nigerian" to which I responded "yes." The other guy hesitated. That was a mistake. I was instantly given my multiple whilst the other guy was told his passport was fake, he was an illegal immigrant and that he would be reported to the Home Office. I was shocked shocked. This guy was completely innocent and brought out his drivers licence, student id, credit cards. The worker behind the counter told him he was lying. This worker had no grounds whatsoever to treat him the way he did. He was just as entitled to a multiple as I was. It wasnt until he went crazy that things changed. He nearly smashed the place down.  

VISA
d) Sorry to say but I think the staff at that embassy have some kind of profit share scheme because earlier this year I applied for a visa but before i wnt to the embassy I called in to make sure the procedure was the same. I spoke to a rep over the phone and I asked him how much the visa was he told me. I then asked him how long it took because there was no info on the website. His response "dont worry my friend wen you get there  speak to the person on the counter and they will give you all the information you need. Got there and found out that I needed postal orders so I walked for 30 mins to the post office. Came back my number was called, spoke to that crazy woman-THE MADAM. She looks at my application,  smiles and then tells me because Im travelling in 3 days i need the express service which costs £50 in processing fee. Had to go back to the pst office and buy an additional £30. I get back and I'm told again it costs £20 proceesing for the normal visa £70 for the visa and an addtional £50 proceessing fee. I had to go to the post office again. The place is crazily unique.

THE PLACE NEEDS AN OVERHAUL-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by OBAOLU: 8:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
Dear Members,

As part of re-branding expect automated visa and passport information services across all Nigeria Embassies and High Commissions in Europe, Asia, America, Africa and others. Endeavour to send this message to your friends. This is a good initiative and will be a big relieve to all Nigerians and friends of Nigeria. Please send this to as many as you can. God bless
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by thameamead(f): 1:02pm On Sep 16, 2009
fingers crossed for 2morrow, i need a visa 2 naija
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by chrisj2(m): 8:43pm On Sep 16, 2009
I have just had a postal application for visa successfully completed. Apart from some hiccups which was not entirely my fault and the extreme rudeness of a member of staff, You hesitate and try to find the right word to say to them and they are off on one - speaking to people like we are their servants or students - I was really upset.

Having said the above, I believe the whole process might have been completed in a week. They can really do it if everything is complete and straightforward.

Thumbs up for the improved administrative efficiency and thumbs down for poor customer service*.

* I get the impression that some of the customers are also not helping - some are quick to complain and some are not as organised as they could be and some are rude and arrogant to the staff as well.
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 17, 2009
omar22:

I went to watch Nigeria v Jamaica back into 2002 at QPR, despite the Met Police, the security, the system, Nigerians decided not to queue, some (a lot) decided to jump the fence at the West stand that the Jamaicans joined in, some decided to sit in other peoples seat despite your ticket had a seat number glaring at her, so am not shocked at the way they behaved at the embassy

Look at you!! wink
Even when i go to buy meat at Upton park, Nigerians jump the queue!! It is just a disease
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 17, 2009
ono1:

The Nigerian Embassy in London is a complete nightmare and an outright disgrace. That office is supposed to be the gateway to Nigeria-What an introduction. The horrific stories are endless. Here are some of my experiences:

BUSINESS MEETING
a) I had set up a business meeting with some senior officials at the embassy. When we arrived there we proceed to the reception desk in the main hall and was greeted by a young lady who was very well presented. Although we couldnt see her whole body, her make up was well done and she wore a white shirt and a business jacket ie very professional. We told her we had a meeting with a rep from the embassy, she called through and proceeded to let us in. When she opened the door I nearly feinted shocked embarassed This woman was wearing shorts and flip flops. I cud do nothing but grin

VISA
b) During one hot summer I went to the embassy to submit my visa application. I noticed the place was uncomfortably hot and sat down waiting patiently for my number to be called cool Around me, peolple were quietly complaining they were hot and were fanning themselves with whatever paper they could find. All of a sudden an old man feints infront of everyone in turn causing a pandemonium. Then one woman shouts out " HE DON DIE OHHHH, HE DON DIE OHHHH, People started shouting "Can you put the aircon on " A minute later an embassy worker ignoring all the frenzy, pulls out a remote control, presses a button and switches the aircon on. I laughed

VISA
c) Myself and another gentlemen applied for a multiple visa seperately but had to collect our passports on the same day. On opening my passsport I noticed I had been given a single entry visa. The same thing had happened to this other guy. We stood at counter together when we were asked "are your parents Nigerian" to which I responded "yes." The other guy hesitated. That was a mistake. I was instantly given my multiple whilst the other guy was told his passport was fake, he was an illegal immigrant and that he would be reported to the Home Office. I was shocked shocked. This guy was completely innocent and brought out his drivers licence, student id, credit cards. The worker behind the counter told him he was lying. This worker had no grounds whatsoever to treat him the way he did. He was just as entitled to a multiple as I was. It wasnt until he went crazy that things changed. He nearly smashed the place down.

VISA
d) Sorry to say but I think the staff at that embassy have some kind of profit share scheme because earlier this year I applied for a visa but before i wnt to the embassy I called in to make sure the procedure was the same. I spoke to a rep over the phone and I asked him how much the visa was he told me. I then asked him how long it took because there was no info on the website. His response "dont worry my friend wen you get there speak to the person on the counter and they will give you all the information you need. Got there and found out that I needed postal orders so I walked for 30 mins to the post office. Came back my number was called, spoke to that crazy woman-THE MADAM. She looks at my application, smiles and then tells me because Im travelling in 3 days i need the express service which costs £50 in processing fee. Had to go back to the pst office and buy an additional £30. I get back and I'm told again it costs £20 proceesing for the normal visa £70 for the visa and an addtional £50 proceessing fee. I had to go to the post office again. The place is crazily unique.

THE PLACE NEEDS AN OVERHAUL-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Good Lawd!! why was the AC off in the first place? saving energy or acting NEPA!!
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by skfa1: 7:09pm On Sep 17, 2009
aysometin:

Look at you!! wink
Even when i go to buy meat at Upton park, Nigerians jump the queue!! It is just a disease

I think we need to changed, me i no dey jump queue again ever since i came cheesy
Re: Nigeria Embassy London Worst Management by JJM(f): 8:11am On Sep 18, 2009
@Chris j

I am looking to apply for my visa(plus my two boys) shortly and was dreading taking the time off from work and spending the whole day there(even though I work at Strand). The on line application looks very appealing and I am keen to explore that but just don't want to get there and I get shouted at for getting it wrong.

What did you have to do? did you just complete the form and pay the fee on line? How long before you were able to get your visa?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Close Kaduna-Abuja Train - Youths Protest In Kaduna (Photos) / Amaechi Begins Inspection Of Lagos-Ibadan Railway Modernization Project(pics) / Pilot Bello Mohamed Baba-Ari Buried After NAF Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.