Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text (14267 Views)

TD Jakes Traces Igbo Roots, Visits Nigeria (Photos) / Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 9:09am On Feb 26, 2016
italo:

She has far more brains and tact than you. Learn from her articulate argument.

But I'm coming for her.

Divide and conquer.

My arguments are articulate......unless I have to resort to guile due to the nefarious way religious apologists like you argue
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by Geist(m): 9:22am On Feb 26, 2016
JackBizzle:

"All things can be explained as the product of unintentional, undirected, purposeless evolution. No truth claim is acceptable if it cannot be subjected to scientific scrutiny"

^^^
Your dubious attempt to rope me into admitting some "atheist doctrine of science" lol
Oga go and sit down one side. It is clear you can't even be honest to yourself.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 9:43am On Feb 26, 2016
JackBizzle:

A person that can say that the crusades were a good thing is a psychopath.
You see, a small part of the crusades were justified- there was a battle defending against the muslim invaders.
However, the ill-treatment of jews and pagans and also land grabs were wrong

Ecomog peace keeping mission in Liberia as called Ecowas was a good thing despite the raping of women and stealing of resources by soldiers (which wasn't called by Ecowas).

The Crusade as called by the Pope was a good and holy duty, if soldiers grabbed land illegally and mistreated the Jews unjustly, that is bad, but you'll have to prove it and prove that the Church called for that.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 10:00am On Feb 26, 2016
chaosattractor:

1) It was Catholic-majority countries that specialized in chattel slavery.
http://scholar.library.miami.edu/emancipation/religion4.htm

False! It was all the world. The African who sold their brothers and neighbours were not Catholic. The Arabian slave traders were not Catholic. The N Korean govt that still sends hundreds of thousands of its own citizens to labour camps is Atheistic, not Catholic. The US was never Catholic majority, the UK was not Catholic majority, France has had an anti-religious govt since the French Revolution almost 300 years ago.

Also, "Catholic-majority countries" is not equal to Catholic Church.
chaosattractor:

2) It was a Crusader king, not the "barbarian", that decided to slaughter nearly three thousand refugees and prisoners of war including women and children.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/lionheart.htm
"Crusader King" is not equal to Catholic Church.

Besides, what's wrong in killing 3000 terrorists?

If Nigerian Army caught 3000 Boko Haram members in King Richards circumstances, what would you have them do?

To be continued...
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 10:35am On Feb 26, 2016
Geist:
Oga go and sit down one side. It is clear you can't even be honest to yourself.

grin grin grin

Thanks
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 10:36am On Feb 26, 2016
chaosattractor:

3) The Vatican Bank was a haven of tax evasion and money laundering for decades.
http://www.npr.org/2015/01/30/382374060/from-laundering-to-profiteering-a-multitude-of-sins-at-the-vatican-bank
Biased article with bogus allegations. No proof...no one convicted...nothing! Just more like beer-parlour hateful allegations...'That woman na ashewo...' 'that man na tiff.'

To be continued...
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 12:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
chaosattractor:

6) Atheist, humanist and transhumanist thinkers dragged humanity kicking and screaming into the Information Age
http://www.alternet.org/belief/8-atheist-and-agnostic-scientists-who-changed-world
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atheists_in_science_and_technology

But sure, let the Stockholm Syndrome speak through you...

There is no proof of the bold in your links...or anywhere else.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
chaosattractor:

4) The three oldest (two are still functioning) universities in the world are all in/from the Arab world
http://mentalfloss.com/article/18853/quick-10-10-oldest-still-functioning-universities-world

You don't know what you're saying.

Al Azhar didn't gain university status until 1961. It was nothing more than a school of theology...a Madrassa. Till date, its stated goals are promoting Islam and Arabic. Is that the modern university system? No.

University of Bologna was the first university in the world. Even the word "university" is from Latin.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by chaosattractor(f): 2:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
I just want to note that I'm seeing all your responses, I'd like you to finish your counterarguments so I can reply to everything at once.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 3:14pm On Feb 26, 2016
chaosattractor:

5) By the Heian period (9th century) the Japanese were carrying out palliative care and had rooms (mujo-in) set aside for the dying to prepare for and embrace death.
http://jsri.jp/English/ojo/round1/day1aft.html

Hospice care is a type of care and philosophy of care that focuses on the palliation of a chronically ill, terminally ill or seriously ill patient's pain and symptoms, and attending to their emotional and spiritual needs. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospice

Nowhere does your link say the Japanese did the bold.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 5:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
italo:

Biased article with bogus allegations. No proof...no one convicted...nothing! Just more like beer-parlour hateful allegations...'That woman na ashewo...' 'that man na tiff.'

To be continued...

Articles upon research articles have decried the secrecy and the laundering that goes on in the vatican bank and yet you claim that they are hateful allegations?

The Vatican's financial troubles became very public again in September 2010, when Italian authorities seized a 23 million euro transfer out of the Vatican bank. An Italian bank rejected the Vatican bank's request to move the money because the Vatican bank would not provide basic information -- the reason for the transaction, and the identity of the sender and recipient -- that are required by financial regulators in order to detect money laundering and other illicit activities. The lack of transparency ended up triggering a minor banking crisis, prompting other European and international banks to refuse to do business with the Vatican bank
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pope-vatican-bank_us_56031658e4b00310edf9e8d9

The seizing of the money is an allegation abi? Bloody liar
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 5:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
italo:

Hospice care is a type of care and philosophy of care that focuses on the palliation of a chronically ill, terminally ill or seriously ill patient's pain and symptoms, and attending to their emotional and spiritual needs. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospice

Hospice is for dying people. Stop twisting and lying. The Japanese people did have rooms and provisions for the dying. My village did wiith the local herbalist. It is a common phenomena around the world culturally. Hospices were not invented by the catholic church. Stop lying.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by wiegraf: 11:16pm On Feb 26, 2016
italo:

1. Hundreds of priests were defrocked for child abuse. Bitter haters like you always avoid that.

And hundreds of others were covered up. Your point? this somehow mitigates your folly?

You didn't even start taking these seriously until others started lighting tourches under your nyash. Look at what one of your mastahs says

Mastah Cardinal:
"We have said repeatedly that ... our understanding of this problem and the way it's dealt with today evolved, and that in those years ago, decades ago, people didn't realize how serious this was, and so, rather than pulling people out of ministry directly and fully, they were moved."

I can sort of understand sha. I mean, you people need a book written when the wheel was a novel invention to help you tell good from bad, so it's no surprise that these good masters did not know how egregious their actions were...

italo:

2. If an official loots, and according to the law of the land is imprisoned for 5 years, rehabilitated, counseled and released...then the Governor gives him another appointment, as is allowed by the law, then he loots again, I cannot say 'Nigeria did wrong.' same with a petty thief that is released back to society...or a Pedophile priest that is reprimanded, forgiven, counseled and reassigned.

I'm confused here, you think that bolded is appropriate enough action to be taken when dealing with a ped0 priest?

You guys used to light people on fire for things like blaspheme, and this is all you got now??

that asides, again, not a strictly accurate rendition of the scenario. the looters in this case are documented to be kleptos. While I may feel for them, as frankly, it is a biological condition and I don't share your church's erstwhile lust for witch-hunts, something clearly has to be done. there are very real victims here. very fragile and delicate ones, and you do not send the wolf back there to mingle with the sheep

that's the height of folly

or perhaps even worse, try to cover it up.....

italo:

If Bush went to war in contravention of US Law, then it can be said that he alone should be responsible. Why was Saddam Hussein Executed for using the institutions of the state at his disposal to commit crimes and not the whole of Iraq? Why were the Nazis tried and not Germany. When politicians use state institutions illegally to steal money, do you say "Nigeria stole Nigeria's money?" or 'Jonathan stole Nigeria's money?

Bros, Germany paid for their crimes. All of them. Clearly. that the nazis were singled out for special treatment does not mean the others did not feel the heat. Heck, even those that say aided Jews did feel some backlash as a result of their eediot countrymen's actions. the whole country/govt is sanctioned and what not when a war is lost, no? And btw, those not involved in the crimes certainly don't go around denying or defending the actions of the Nazis

that asides, bros, this again a misrepresentation of the situation. It is not Nigeria stole Nigeria. It is Nigeria sent BH to Benin to teach them about peace and love.

I hope you can spot the folly

italo:

That's the difference between the Church and the secular world. Nations, communities hardly ever apologize to one another even when the most heinous crimes are committed.

An apology is not always an indication that what I did is not good or was not for a good purpose...or was not a just and deserved recompense. An apology could just be a mark of politeness and/or humility.

If my mother scolds me in front of my friends for smoking at 15, she could apologize...but she hasn't done a bad thing. if you slap me and I slap you in return, I could apologize, but I haven't done you wrong.

There are many Atheistic and non-Atheistic govts through the ages that have tried to extinguish the Church, killing clergy, demolishing and confiscating Church property e.g China, N Korea, USSR, Albania, Roman Empire, Vietnam, Great Britain etc...who has ever made such a profound and public apology to the Catholic Church? Many Catholics fought against many Protestants...who has ever apologized to Catholics?

The Popes are just being the better people - humble and polite.

Black man don suffer

Really?

Is it also true that those ped0s did not mean to harm those kids? they heard the kids had problems with bowel movement, and figured that by sticking their pipis in certain places, they could fix them.

Yes, that's what happened!

And to top off the absurdness, now you're the one being persecuted?

Oya, among the many others, he also apologized to the women in your very own church. Please, do tell how these women persecuted you...

Slaves and galileo, just how did they wrong you?

Kayi...

these people could rap3 your mama, admit it, and you'd still defend them, it seems.

btw, who would you take more seriously, a slave or his mastah?

italo:

Olodo that just swallows any indoctrination that haters like you post on wikipedia...here's is the full text which your masters hid from you:

Can. 333 §1. By virtue of his office, the Roman Pontiff not only possesses power offer the universal Church but also obtains the primacy of ordinary power offer all particular churches and groups of them. Moreover, this primacy strengthens and protects the proper, ordinary, and immediate power which bishops possess in the particular churches entrusted to their care.

I like that I'm rubbing off on you, but I'd rather your sense was improved on rather than the colorful language.

Where exactly does it say that their primacy overrides that of the ultimate mastah in the vatican??

that they have some power does not mean that they don't answer to the oga at the top. they clearly do. it even states there that he protects them. they make it crystal clear in the previous passage that oga pope is the ultimate authority.....

In fact, IIRC, once upon a time oga pope use to roast heretics within his ranks. Do you understand what that implies?

italo:

I accept that the Catholic Church is the biggest charity and force for good in the world. I accept all Catholics are sinners, some with very grevious sins which contravene the teachings of the Church.

The reason you're seemingly outraged by pedophilia is probably because the Church kicks against it and many nations adapted their law to Church teachings. Islam is not against it. Many Atheists are even fighting that it should be legal for men to sleep with boys e.g nambla atheists. That's the difference, even when Catholics sin, they don't defend it, Atheist sin and try to legalize it.

Hmm. the bolded. what exactly have you been doing on this thread?!

You accept all catholics are sinners? Do you also accept the church has sinned?

All this talk of the catholic being the biggest charity. It also is supposed to be the biggest NPO on the planet in a sense, so no freaking surprise there bros. that's like being proud of the fact that there are more millionaires in the states than in any other country in the world. Admirable, perhaps, but doh... It's the biggest economy in the world so of course it would have the most millionaires....

What the heck makes nambla an atheist organization?? Are you just labeling any organization that's not theistic atheist?!

And I'm not appalled at just the ped0 situation in your church. I'm appalled at near all of it. I even mentioned your mafiosi bank, no? You focused on ped0s. [s]I'm guessing because something like guilt kicked in[/s]

Anyways, oga, while this was somewhat fun, it's clearly wasted on you so methinks I'm done. Any interested hopefully learned to stay well clear from your organization.

Kudos for now....I think..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by chaosattractor(f): 4:12am On Feb 27, 2016
Sorry for the late response, I had to shorten the post drastically for Nairaland to accept it.

italo:

False! It was all the world. The African who sold their brothers and neighbours were not Catholic. The Arabian slave traders were not Catholic. The N Korean govt that still sends hundreds of thousands of its own citizens to labour camps is Atheistic, not Catholic. The US was never Catholic majority, the UK was not Catholic majority, France has had an anti-religious govt since the French Revolution almost 300 years ago.

Logical fallacy. Person A doing evil does not excuse Person B of participating in that evil. Or do you think that when you stand before the God you believe in that you'll say "Mr. So-and-so was also doing it so I have done nothing wrong"? Especially when the church as you claim is supposed to be a moral beacon.

This is why I linked to a source on chattel slavery and the Transatlantic slave trade, not slavery in general. Because if it was the latter I would simply have pointed you to the Bible where slavery is endorsed including branding/mutilation of slaves, beating them and treating them as second-class citizens. See Exodus 21:1, 21:20 and 21:32; Colossians 3:22; Titus 2:9. According to Paul's writings it was a "sin"/wrongdoing for African-American slaves to rise up against their masters or seek freedom.

I can overlook the endorsing of bonded/forced labour and indentured servitude in the Bible, after all it is a product of its time. What I will never condone or overlook are passages and statements that endorse chattel slavery which any student of history can tell you is one of the most egregious violations of human rights that humanity has come up with. Coupled with institutionalized racism in the transatlantic slave trade, which Catholic clergy also participated in. (For those who don't know, chattel slavery is a system in which a slave is considered his master's literal property. He or she is nothing more than another possession and the master is considered to own everything about them including any children they produce. This is the ideology that led to the enslaving of the black race because it was widely believed that black people were their owners' property right from birth or even conception, like farm animals).

Also, "Catholic-majority countries" is not equal to Catholic Church.

Good! Enjoy this blog post on papal bulls and other statements from the Vatican/Holy See regarding slavery. The Catholic Church has kept its history well, you should be able to Google each document mentioned and read them for yourself.
http://churchslavery..com.ng/
You'll also find a large helping of racism and xenophobia in there.

"Crusader King" is not equal to Catholic Church.

A Crusader King that was sent to fight for and with the endorsement of the church and Pope himself. When George Bush sent his generals to wage war in the Middle East did you also say that "general" is not equal to "Bush"? Do we not say that the United States is at war with Iraq, Afghanistan, etc? Please stop trying to deflect blame.

Besides, what's wrong in killing 3000 terrorists?
If Nigerian Army caught 3000 Boko Haram members in King Richards circumstances, what would you have them do?

Did you miss the part where there were literal children murdered in that massacre? I repeat, these were prisoners-of-war and refugees from the town of Acre that he had just sacked. He had them all murdered except the wealthy ones who could be ransomed, and historians' consensus is that at least one of his reasons was that he didn't want to be responsible for the extra mouths. As if they're the ones that called him all the way from England to come and attack their town and then complain that he cannot feed them.

Did you even stop to read what you're typing? This is blatant and callous xenophobia coming from somebody that is proclaiming his church as the most compassionate of all institutions. What happened to "Thou shalt not kill" and "turn the other cheek"? Hypocrisy in high places.

italo:

To be continued...

Soooo what you're trying to say is that you don't have any sources or counterpoints to the allegations. You just feel that they're not true so we must take your word for it over that of a man that researched and published a whole book on his findings.

Here are some more articles with more sources on the topic:
http://americamagazine.org/content/all-things/vatican-bank-scandal-nobody-talking-about
http://americamagazine.org/issue/culture/follow-money

In fact Pope Francis himself is worried about and has taken action concerning these mere "beer-parlour hateful allegations", trying to clean up the Vatican Bank:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/13/can-pope-francis-clean-up-gods-bank
(That last article is very long but it contains even more sources and historical scandals as well as the current Pope's efforts to audit and overhaul the bank).

italo:

You don't know what you're saying.
Al Azhar didn't gain university status until 1961. It was nothing more than a school of theology...a Madrassa. Till date, its stated goals are promoting Islam and Arabic. Is that the modern university system? No.

University of Bologna was the first university in the world. Even the word "university" is from Latin.

So why didn't you address the first school on the list? Ahvaz Jundishapur (the modern name for the Academy of Gundishapur) was an academy of medicine (and also of philosophy, as well as a research institute). In fact, according to the Cambridge History of Iran it was the most important medical center of the entire world in the 6th and 7th centuries AD, literally hundreds of years before the University of Bologna was even a dream in its founders' heads (established 1088).

This is exactly what I don't like. You have allowed yourself to be brainwashed and filled with white, Eurocentric history, championing the white man above everything. By the 8th and 9th centuries Arabic and Persian scholars like Al-Khwarizmi were revolutionizing the sciences and arts while Western thought was still languishing in the dark ages. And that's not even going into East Asia. Read about the House of Wisdom in Baghdad. Read about the Ancient Chinese who invented and experimented with gunpowder and firearms, paper and printing, compasses and hot air balloons literally centuries and in some cases millennia before the West approached that level of scientific thought. Let's not even go too far; let's come back to Africa and the University of Timbuktu which was established towards the end of the 10th century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Timbuktu http://afrolegends.com/2009/09/04/timbuktu-the-worlds-first-and-oldest-university/

But keep praising the white man and his thievery of the ideas and inventions of people of colour around the world. Are you not ashamed to be using Latin as your benchmark of when a word came into existence? To keep contributing to the erasure of black and brown people's history? What kind of colonial mentality is this?

italo:

Directly from the link:

Palliation:
"There are many accounts of monks attending to the sick and dying. In East Asia, temples have often acted as medical dispensaries, and monks with their knowledge of acupuncture have acted as physicians. In South and Southeast Asia, monks have had a deep knowledge of herbal medicines from living and surviving in the forest.

Emotional and spiritual needs:
"In these records, we can see that the caring for the dead becomes a religious exercise for the living."
"Monks tried to achieve mental unity with the dying person through group meditation, so that the dying person didn’t die alone. In general, there was a focus on creating an intersubjective experience (kanshu-kansei 間主観生/kanshu-taisei 間主体生) for everyone which benefited all."
"The origins of this practice go back before the Heian Period in rooms that were set aside for someone to reside before they died. This kind of room was called an “Abbey of Impermanence” (mujo-in 無常院). They were places where the dying were put not die but to prepare for death as a means to aid their personal realization. In the contemporary West, we can see that all the terminology surrounding death tries to be positive. However, in this ancient tradition, they were not afraid to challenge the dying with such terms as “impermanence.” "

If you want more: http://www.itmonline.org/arts/kampo.htm

Directly from that article:
"The first official classes in Chinese medicine in Japan are said to have been given by a Korean physician in 602 A.D. by order of the Empress Suiko (reign: 592-628 A.D.). During her reign, the Japanese court started sending envoys to China. Some of the Japanese visitors to China, being there primarily on diplomatic missions, brought back medical classics of China. In 701, the Taiho Ritsuryo Code (a series of edicts establishing a particular political and academic structure) was compiled and provided for, among many other things, establishment of a ministry of health (Ten'yakuryo; also translated as the Institute of Medicine). This Taiho Code, influenced by two visits to the Tang Imperial Court by the envoy Enichi, included a division devoted to the Chinese concept of yin-yang, one of the foundations of Chinese medical theories and other aspects of Chinese culture. The services of the health ministry were restricted to the royal court and aristocracy, while Buddhist temples took care of the poor, eventually including Chinese medicine. The Empress Komyo (701-760 A.D.) established a dispensary to supply free medicine to the needy in 730 A.D. The dispensary provided local Japanese herbs, but the method of using the herbs was already influenced by Chinese medical principles."

Before you call them primitive, note that (still from that article, you can read it yourself) the herbal formulas that Sino-Japanese medical researchers came up with over a millennium ago are approved for production and prescription by the modern Japanese Ministry of Health, and in fact are being mass-produced in factories now. And that is beside the fact that East Asia had developed schools of medicine, ministries of health, dispensaries of free medicines and socialist healthcare by the 8th century AD.

Please, tell me more about this "great" Catholic/Western "civilization"

Do yourself a favour and educate yourself on history beyond the white man and his white supremacist efforts.

italo:

There is no proof of the bold in your links...or anywhere else.

Did you even read the links? How can anyone open their mouth to say that Stephen Hawking, Alan Turing, Rosalind Franklin, Svante Arrhenius, Thomas Edison, Claude Berthollet, the Joliot-Curies, Ivan Pavlov, John Nash, Richard Feynman, Steven Weinberg, Elizur Wright (to name just a fraction of them!) did not lift humanity into 21st century? Oh sorry, I forgot, you would rather learn and recite the names of "saints" than the people whose work is responsible for your modern comforts.

And that list is not even counting the people who were agnostic or otherwise anti-religion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 6:01am On Feb 27, 2016
JackBizzle:

Articles upon research articles have decried the secrecy and the laundering that goes on in the vatican bank and yet you claim that they are hateful allegations?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pope-vatican-bank_us_56031658e4b00310edf9e8d9

The seizing of the money is an allegation abi? Bloody liar

Only an ignoramus like you doesn't know the difference between "seizing of money" and a "conviction."

The money has been returned without any conviction.

Also, Msgr Scarano has been cleared of money laundering.
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/11/20/italy-promises-to-return-e23-million-to-vatican-bank/

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/01/19/former-vatican-official-cleared-of-plotting-to-smuggle-millions-of-euros-into-italy/

Your slave masters told you when the arrest and seizure happened, but when the Vatican was cleared, they hid it from you. They don't want you to break free from anti-religious indoctrination.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by italo: 6:03am On Feb 27, 2016
JackBizzle:

Hospice is for dying people. Stop twisting and lying. The Japanese people did have rooms and provisions for the dying. My village did wiith the local herbalist. It is a common phenomena around the world culturally. Hospices were not invented by the catholic church. Stop lying.

Show me where the Japanese or your villagers did the bold.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 9:25am On Feb 27, 2016
italo:

Show me where the Japanese or your villagers did the bold.

A hospice is for dying people. Usually sick dying people. Many cultures around the world have provisions for that. What you even typed in bold is nothing special as it is all part of taking care of dying people- so yes, many cultures did that.

You argue like a criminal attorney defending a criminal. Stop twisting and turning what is already fact.

And here is an important quote you should remember

Each society throughout history has evolved special ways of caring for the dying and the bereaved. For example: in old China the “death houses” offered a place for the destitute dying to stay; in New Zealand, Maori customs give practical support for the family at the time of death, and encourage the community to participate in the mourning rituals; in East Africa, wise elders give both practical and spiritual support to the dying and bereaved.
https://www.hospiceworld.org/history.htm

^^^
Are you reading? Or do you want more proof that hospices were in existence around the world before the catholic church?
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 9:35am On Feb 27, 2016
italo:

Only an ignoramus like you doesn't know the difference between "seizing of money" and a "conviction."

The money has been returned without any conviction.

Also, Msgr Scarano has been cleared of money laundering.
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/11/20/italy-promises-to-return-e23-million-to-vatican-bank/

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/01/19/former-vatican-official-cleared-of-plotting-to-smuggle-millions-of-euros-into-italy/

Your slave masters told you when the arrest and seizure happened, but when the Vatican was cleared, they hid it from you. They don't want you to break free from anti-religious indoctrination.

See how you and your catholic church like to twist the truth?

Here are important excerpts on the case of Mr Scarano from your own catholic herald link;

1) Mgr Scarano is currently still on trial on separate charges in his hometown of Salerno. He is accused of laundering money using Vatican bank accounts

So your guy escaped one charge and still has money laundering charges.
==================================================

As for the money returned=

1) Even though the Italian government in 2011 said it was releasing the funds, the Italians believed “issues regarding customer due diligence remained unsolved” and so held on to the funds, said a statement on November 18 from the Institute for the Works of Religion, the formal name of what is commonly called the Vatican bank.

The money was seized because the Vatican bank did not follow the rules of disclosure. What saved the vatican bank is that it couldnt be proved that they used or were going to use the money for nefarious reasons.
==================================================

Also, to hell with the catholic herald. They are reporting this as if the vatican bank and mr scarano are innocent. They have the best lawyers around them and they both were caught in uncompromising situations- they still have other charges to face.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by chaosattractor(f): 12:45pm On Feb 27, 2016
italo:

Sorry the response is so late, my post was so long that the bot deleted it :/

https://www.nairaland.com/2940727/atheism-ancient-roots-not-modern/5#43290144
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by PastorAIO: 12:54pm On Feb 27, 2016
chaosattractor:

Sorry the response is so late, my post was so long that the bot deleted it :/

https://www.nairaland.com/2940727/atheism-ancient-roots-not-modern/5#43290144

Who is this ChaosAttractor?
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by chaosattractor(f): 12:55pm On Feb 27, 2016
Also I'd like to note that criticism of an institution is not criticism of an ideology. This thread is getting a little too personal. sad

For instance, I am an anarcho-communist but when people begin to criticize the USSR or Mao's China I don't automatically jump to defend them. The fact that I am a communist does not mean I must accept, excuse or deny everything that has been done in the name of communism.

Italo, your spiritual belief is not tied to the Catholic Church. After all, if we're going by the Bible it's not the church that will save you and the gospels warn many times to be wary of religious leaders. I find this insistence that the church can do no wrong rather disturbing.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by chaosattractor(f): 12:56pm On Feb 27, 2016
PastorAIO:

Who is this ChaosAttractor?

Me! smiley

I'm new around here and I like debating. And writing. And eating.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by PastorAIO: 4:19pm On Feb 27, 2016
chaosattractor:

Me! smiley

And you're an anarcho-communist. There's a thread in that.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by wiegraf: 6:28pm On Feb 27, 2016
chaosattractor:
Also I'd like to note that criticism of an institution is not criticism of an ideology. This thread is getting a little too personal. sad

For instance, I am an anarcho-communist but when people begin to criticize the USSR or Mao's China I don't automatically jump to defend them. The fact that I am a communist does not mean I must accept, excuse or deny everything that has been done in the name of communism.

Italo, your spiritual belief is not tied to the Catholic Church. After all, if we're going by the Bible it's not the church that will save you and the gospels warn many times to be wary of religious leaders. I find this insistence that the church can do no wrong rather disturbing.

Please, take over abeg... You're doing an excellent job

It's always going to be somewhat personal [s](even if it's mostly just playful banter)[/s] between me and that.... that......

I don't even understand why that LB brought him over.....but anyhoo..

Ditto on the anarcho-communist. How is that even possible? Maybe when we're on some star-trek like level of enlightenment but as we are?!
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 6:45pm On Feb 27, 2016
chaosattractor:

Me! smiley

Hello, you pm'd me but my email linked to this account is faulty.

email me @ logicboy01@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 6:47pm On Feb 27, 2016
wiegraf:

Please, take over abeg... You're doing an excellent job

It's always going to be somewhat personal [s](even if it's mostly just playful banter)[/s] between me and that.... that......

I don't even understand why that LB brought him over.....but anyhoo..

Ditto on the anarcho-communist. How is that even possible? Maybe when we're on some star-trek like level of enlightenment but as we are?!

Does she know who LB is?

Also....erm why the beef?
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by PastorAIO: 6:59pm On Feb 27, 2016
JackBizzle:

Hello, you pm'd me but my email linked to this account is faulty.

email me @ logicboy01@gmail.com. Thanks

So you are Logicboy.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 7:01pm On Feb 27, 2016
PastorAIO:

So you are Logicboy.

We are legion for we are many. grin grin grin
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by PastorAIO: 7:08pm On Feb 27, 2016
JackBizzle:

We are legion for we are many. grin grin grin

I nearly wrote that in the post you quoted. Perhaps you too have a great mind. Or maybe it's just too damned obvious even a monkey would have thought of it at that point.
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by JackBizzle: 7:18pm On Feb 27, 2016
PastorAIO:

I nearly wrote that in the post you quoted. Perhaps you too have a great mind. Or maybe it's just too damned obvious even a monkey would have thought of it at that point.

You have joined the league of nairalanders that can not give logicboy a compliment?

Why did you have to spoil the comment with the monkey part? Was that necessary?
Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by PastorAIO: 8:43pm On Feb 27, 2016
Why so touchy? You wouldn't be the only monkey na. Sebi I said that I nearly wrote it myself? Anyway, I AM A MONKEY, and a proud one at that.

JackBizzle:

You have joined the league of nairalanders that can not give logicboy a compliment?

Re: Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text by PastorAIO: 8:44pm On Feb 27, 2016
…but if it is compliment that you are looking for I'll find one to give you soon. Please be patience.

JackBizzle:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

8 Ways On How Not To Be Distracted In Church On A Sunday. / Who Is A True Man Of God? / Powerfull Spiritual Command with six and seven books of moses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.