Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? (7582 Views)

We Must Monitor The Nation Of Israel If We Want To Know When Rapture Will Occur / What Proof Of God Existense Will Atheists Accept? Opinion / Do Atheists Believe On Jinns Or Supernatural Beings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by finofaya: 11:00pm On Mar 05, 2016
asalimpo:

You're beating around the bush.
I said, if (not the word) , I found out at the end of the day that God commited a falsehood or the bible
lied outrightly , I'll change my perception of God.
(that is as a christian, I believe in God). As an atheists, you dont.
And since you dont, then the rapture is simply b.s.
But, the rapture, mark of the beast are events prophesied to happen in the future .
The truth is either going to be a) it wont happen b) it will happen.
Time doesnt matter here. I could happen today/tomorrow or in the next 3000 years!
But that doesnt change the truth. which is, it will either happen or not.
My question is, if it happens what would ardent atheists say?!
Note, dissapearance of large number of people on a global scale has never occured before,
so it will be a spectacular event.
They'll be eye witnesses giving similar accounts of how it happened.
It's not going be something that can just be swept under the carpet as christian propaganda.
What spin would you as an atheist put on it?

All arguments for the existence of God have been from historical data or logic .
But this wont be an argument, or reasoning match, but rather a right before your eyes
fulfillment of prophecy.

You can interprete this question as you like because nothing i say will persuade otherwise,
but it's an interesting enquiry.

But if I believe that the rapture has taken place, what is the point of putting a spin on it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Weah96: 11:40pm On Mar 05, 2016
analice107:

SirWere. Lol. Stop it, your blackmail tactics is very weak. The souls of the mothers are his, the souls of the children are also his. AND, SirWere, no child will be left behind, so pls stop the lame blackmail.
You didn't create anything. The one created it decides what and how he wants things done. Cry, kill yourself, it won't change.

And you expect to get carried in the wind, too? Hahaha.
You don't know what blackmail means. I am making a mockery of the nonsensical idea of the rapture, not trying to blackmail you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by cloudgoddess(f): 11:46pm On Mar 05, 2016
UyiIredia:

It is naive to limit human progress to technological advancement and forget the need for character development. All the technology in the world and basic human courtesy which your posts is bereft of is sorely lacking. I wonder why.
LOL! You think biblical law is the "character development" we need? Nawa oh... Tell me more about how we need to go back to "witch" burnings and non-virgin stonings, and slavery, and public executions. Because when the bible was taken as law, societies were just as barbaric as Islamic-ruled states are presently.

The bible is a crap book to turn to for any type of moral guidance if you actually read it for face value. No modern law in any functioning developed country operates off of biblical standards of "morality". By the way a typical humanist freethinker has far more "character" than the average deluded self-centered Christian, in Nigeria or anywhere else. At least his ideas of right and wrong come from sound, up-to-date reasoning and genuine compassion for humanity, rather than 20 century-old misogynist, war obsessed cave dwellers' ideas of what an equally barbaric "god" would want.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by cloudgoddess(f): 11:55pm On Mar 05, 2016
asalimpo:

Even un believers/non christians know that the world is aggravating it's rate and magnitude of sin.
Man is pushing the limits on what is acceptable. Was this always the case ? No.
So something new is going on and it will only get worst.
Too bad sin is imaginary. I'll bet the "aggravation of sin" you speak of is sh*t that's only bad according to the bible. Consexual, safe sex between non-related adults of appropriate age (and any kinks and variations of it, no matter how "perverted" they seem to you and your closed mind) is not morally wrong by any reasonable standard. Homosexuality, etc. is not morally wrong by any reasonable standard. These and similar things do not harm anyone but are demonized due to moronic, hateful, and ignorant 1st century logic.

When discussing real moral issues, like human rights, safety, just punishment for murder, rape, and theft, etc -- we can see that the average developed society is doing far better than the barbarians of the bible times. Back then people were willing to throw rocks at a woman until her skin was torn and she bled to death, for failing to prove her "virginity" on her first night of coitus with her spouse. Try that in the 21st century UK, US, or Netherlands and see how quickly you're behind bars or in a psychiatric ward.

Ironically the only regions you still see outlandishly immoral acts being carried out on a regular basis, like the unjust killing of innocents, persecution of the innocent, & rape and mistreatment of women, is in countries that refuse to let go of their religions' "guidance".

LOL have you read any history book? Have you not learned of any of the f*cked up scenarios carried out by humans as far back as 3000 BC? Or is your only knowledge the bible... because that would explain this very ignorant statement.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Nobody: 12:03am On Mar 06, 2016
analice107:

In this NL, there are folk I feel are atheists, (If I can really call them that) because of some world occurrences and some unanswered questions. And they are some who are already marked. "The Seed of Satan", the Anti-"Christ recruits. They are just Satan Littles helpers to assist Satan do his work.
You CoolUsername is different, SirWere is different, and some here. But they are some, hmmmm. The blasphemy from their mouth speaks volumes. They have sinned against the Holy Spirit and have perpetually shut themselves out. But I have hope for some.
hey oga they is a diff btw satanist and athiest pls do ur research b4 saying wah u dont kno!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:16am On Mar 06, 2016
analice107:

I am 100% certain now, that Christianity is true. So many questions in my mind has been answered here.
So many scriptures have been fulfilled. To see you guys turn against God so much gives me the assurance that my Saviour is true. He told me about you. Ride on, we shall surely meet again, whether together as sheep or separated on the other side as a goat.
I am 100% certain now, that Christianity is true.
And most people living in the Middle East are 100% certain that Islam is true. And millions of people living in India are 100% certain Hinduism is true. Your feeling of certainty based on weak reasoning is no more powerful or indicative of truth than a 5 year old's belief in father christmas. It doesn't mean anything, especially when it is not a result of careful thinking and unbiased examination of evidence, but merely circular arguments and self-serving biases.

To see you guys turn against God so much gives me the assurance that my Saviour is true. He told me about you.
"To see everyone running from danger so rapidly gives me the assurance that there is no danger and I should remain standing where I am." Impeccable reasoning as usual, A+.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Godwin2016: 12:52am On Mar 06, 2016
Atheists are hell bound. None of them is willing to repent. I pity that ifeness. The fire that will burn him will be special.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Godwin2016: 12:53am On Mar 06, 2016
cloudgoddess:

I am 100% certain now, that Christianity is true.
And most people living in the Middle East are 100% certain that Islam is true. And millions of people living in India are 100% certain Hinduism is true. Your feeling of certainty based on weak reasoning is no more powerful or indicative of truth than a 5 year old's belief in father christmas. It doesn't mean anything, especially when it is not a result of careful thinking and unbiased examination of evidence, but merely circular arguments and self-serving biases.

To see you guys turn against God so much gives me the assurance that my Saviour is true. He told me about you.
"To see everyone running from danger so rapidly gives me the assurance that there is no danger and I should remain standing where I am." Impeccable reasoning as usual, A+.

Repent before it is too late
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Weah96: 2:08am On Mar 06, 2016
Godwin2016:
Atheists are hell bound. None of them is willing to repent. I pity that ifeness. The fire that will burn him will be special.

Burning people in fire sounds like something ISIS would appreciate.
I recall the incident when they locked that young Jordanian pilot in the cage, doused him with fuel, and set him on fire. He was charged with murdering the children of God and the punishment was eye for eye.

But even ISIS aren't wicked enough to keep burning the dead corpse over and over. The Caliph himself will get bored, or even remorseful.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by cloudgoddess(f): 5:54am On Mar 06, 2016
Godwin2016:

Repent before it is too late
Repent to Hindu god Krishna before it's too late and you are reborn as an earthworm in your reincarnation

2 Likes

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Goodyshoes(m): 6:11am On Mar 06, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Repent to Hindu god Krishna before it's too late and you are reborn as an earthworm in your reincarnation

Hy Cloud princess...

I'm curious, do you ENTIRELY dismiss the notion, idea or concept of God??

I ask this, not from the religious perspective..... Rather from the philosophical and ontological point of view.....
Simply put, I do not imply the notion of personal Gods espoused by religions like the Jewish god and other likes.

Cheers.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by OgundeleT(m): 6:37am On Mar 06, 2016
i don't know why people just find it easy to believe in illusion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by lonelydora: 6:46am On Mar 06, 2016
JackBizzle:
This falls in the area of kingebukasblog's level of silliness.

2000 years, and this rapture has not come. This means that I could have lived and died for 20 generations (100 years times 20) and would still have missed the rapture

[img]http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/62279932.jpg[/img]

You can never be too sure. You have nothing to loose if you live as if it will happen tomorrow
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Nobody: 6:48am On Mar 06, 2016
lonelydora:

You can never be too sure. You have nothing to loose if you live as if it will happen tomorrow
One day, Kinjikiner will come and kill all unbelievers. You have nothing to lose if you believe in Kinjikiner. Save yourself from the wrath of Kinjikiner.

4 Likes

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by lonelydora: 6:51am On Mar 06, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

One day, Kinjikiner will come and kill all unbelievers. You have nothing to lose if you believe in Kinjikiner. Save yourself from the wrath of Kinjikiner.

Lol. U r funny indeed.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 10:51am On Mar 06, 2016
Weah96:

Burning people in fire sounds like something ISIS would appreciate.
I recall the incident when they locked that young Jordanian pilot in the cage, doused him with fuel, and set him on fire. He was charged with murdering the children of God and the punishment was eye for eye.

But even ISIS aren't wicked enough to keep burning the dead corpse over and over. The Caliph himself will get bored, or even remorseful.

Hell is a choice. Going there and blaming God is foolishness.
At least everyone has a lifetime to make their decision of where they want to end up in.
Or will you blame God for making you an atheist? No.
So why blame him, if you find yourself at the receiving end of his judgement?
That's like a murderer blaming the judge for sentencing him?
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 10:54am On Mar 06, 2016
OgundeleT:
i don't know why people just find it easy to believe in illusion.
which more illusive : mindless matter creating intelligent life.
that learnt by trial and error- which begs the question , Why arent apes and monkeys, nearly as advanced
as man ,given that they've had the same length of time to "evolve",
or that Intelligent Life (God) created man?

Which is more hard to believe? You answer.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 11:07am On Mar 06, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Too bad sin is imaginary. I'll bet the "aggravation of sin" you speak of is sh*t that's only bad according to the bible. Consexual, safe sex between non-related adults of appropriate age (and any kinks and variations of it, no matter how "perverted" they seem to you and your closed mind) is not morally wrong by any reasonable standard. Homosexuality, etc. is not morally wrong by any reasonable standard. These and similar things do not harm anyone but are demonized due to moronic, hateful, and ignorant 1st century logic.

When discussing real moral issues, like human rights, safety, just punishment for murder, rape, and theft, etc -- we can see that the average developed society is doing far better than the barbarians of the bible times. Back then people were willing to throw rocks at a woman until her skin was torn and she bled to death, for failing to prove her "virginity" on her first night of coitus with her spouse. Try that in the 21st century UK, US, or Netherlands and see how quickly you're behind bars or in a psychiatric ward.

Ironically the only regions you still see outlandishly immoral acts being carried out on a regular basis, like the unjust killing of innocents, persecution of the innocent, & rape and mistreatment of women, is in countries that refuse to let go of their religions' "guidance".

LOL have you read any history book? Have you not learned of any of the f*cked up scenarios carried out by humans as far back as 3000 BC? Or is your only knowledge the bible... because that would explain this very ignorant statement.

Sin is imaginary.
Is 9/11 imaginary? Because they're many people hurting as a direct consequence of a sin of another.
Is an aids victims pain imaginary?
When investors suffered loss of their assets because greedy managers played the market and failed
, is their loss imaginary?

These are the cosequences we can see , how much can we not see.
When Abraham had consensual safe sex with hagar (not a sin to you),
did he forsee the consequences?
Boko haram,9/11, the crusades etc. How much damage has that single
act of sin wrought.

The bible says, the wages of sin is death.
The only atonement for sin is shed human blood. Barbaric to you , but that's how the spiritual system works. get it.
If you used the right lens to view the bible and the spiritual framework for things like salvation (from sin),
redemption, life, judgement,justice etc. You'll find out that the bible is sound.
But you want to judge skewedly.

Who told you consensual sin has no effect ? who told you? You just can't see the consequences
. You walk by sight and science so these things are blind to you.

Norway, america etc so called developed nations you talk about are spiralling into putrid depravity.
And not knowing it. Because, of course, its all bout their notions.
In a way, Man is creating his own religion and moral codes.

I've read history books and know a lil about history.
But modern society , so called , is escalating in its degree of depravity.

"Homosexuality is not morally wrong by any moral standard" -
whose moral standard are we judging by and what authority do they have to front those standards?
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Weah96: 1:32pm On Mar 06, 2016
asalimpo:

Hell is a choice. Going there and blaming God is foolishness.
At least everyone has a lifetime to make their decision of where they want to end up in.
Or will you blame God for making you an atheist? No.
So why blame him, if you find yourself at the receiving end of his judgement?
That's like a murderer blaming the judge for sentencing him?

Your metaphors and analogies fall short of describing the level of EVIL it takes to burn a human being FOR ETERNITY. Judges sentence people to DEATH, at the most. You could murder 100 children, and the judge will simply order your execution.

When Apple creates a phone that doesn't work, they don't get angry at the phone and begin to torture the machine. They realize that the fault lies with the designers, not the finished product.

5 Likes

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Bitterleafsoup: 2:01pm On Mar 06, 2016
asalimpo:
The thing is all of us here are living in pre rapture times. And in almost all modern societies, people have heard about it. Whether you believe it or not doesnt matter.
The bible is either false,a book of fables inspired by men or , true-the word of God.

Now, if the rapture occurs in our time , it deals a huge blow to the claim of atheists of God being a myth.
If, you were an atheist, would you change your stand after it occured or will you still stick to your stand?
Note: you'd be trying to explain the event of lots of mysterious dissapearances of people from the earth. All or mostly christians.

One possible counter argument would be that some ufo abducted them. It sounds plausible. After all ufo activities have been on the news for a while. Ufos are believed to possess superior technology.

If we witness the rapture, we'd be witnessing a major bible prediction occuring live before our eyes.

Would an avowed atheist still doubt God's existence after something like this?

My Dear nothing like rapture happening ......

2 Likes

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 2:19pm On Mar 06, 2016
Weah96:

Your metaphors and analogies fall short of describing the level of EVIL it takes to burn a human being FOR ETERNITY. Judges sentence people to DEATH, at the most. You could murder 100 children, and the judge will simply order your execution.

When Apple creates a phone that doesn't work, they don't get angry at the phone and begin to torture the machine. They realize that the fault lies with the designers, not the finished product.

yeah,I know my analogy comes short ,because as humans we lack the tools and perspective for comprehending eternity. And we never will from this side of life.

However, the point still remains that our life experiences will counter our accusations of unfairness of God because we accept as justice that a criminal or fellow is free to exercise his own will only to be judged when he breaks the law of the land.
Then he must be made to bear the full weight of breaking the law.
Ignorance of the law not being an excuse.

In human laws, offenses are weighted and punishments tagged to the gravity of the offense.
The question you ask is saying,
there's no human offense committed in a finite lifetime that warrants eternal,endless,never-ending,infinite punishment.
Some offenses are quite brief, e.g uttering a wrong word or slander (how long does that take).
Humanly, the sin is too trivial (by man's standard) . But this begs the question of how correct is our standard? We are imperfect beings. Error is in our dna? Yet we want to weigh sin with our imperfect perceptions of it?
We are always shifting the mark on what sin is (Is abortion sin? Is homosexuality sin? Is swearing sin? Is consensual sx btw two different married people sin?).
We have no universal standard for what constitutes sin. Next,we have no universal standard for weighing the gravity of sin?
Finally,if we could weigh sin,we have no standard for computing the full consequence of sin.
We are woefully inequipped to judge sin.
When osama bombed u.s during 9/11, could abraham hav seen it when he was shagging hagar? No.
We said thank God it didnt happen to us,and went about our own business. But what about when boko haram decimated lives in the North. Nigeria got tagged terrorist state. Businesses folded up. Destinies quashed. What of those orphans, made so,because their fathers died fighting boko haram. What of the innocent blood crying out to God daily? What of the pains,anguish and health related problems the kidnapping of the chibok girls has caused their parents. All these from just one act of sin-disobeying God's word.
Abraham couldve never seen the full weight that single sin would cause. David when shagging uriah's wife,would never see what was coming.
Fact is,we can't compute sin or grasp its full dimension with our finite minds. So on judging sin,we can never judge correctly with our fallen finite minds.
God can. And His judgements are just. Just not fully understandable from this perspective.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by Weah96: 2:36pm On Mar 06, 2016
asalimpo:

yeah,I know my analogy comes short ,because as humans we lack the tools and perspective for comprehending eternity. And we never will from this side of life.

However, the point still remains that our life experiences will counter our accusations of unfairness of God because we accept as justice that a criminal or fellow is free to exercise his own will only to be judged when he breaks the law of the land.
Then he must be made to bear the full weight of breaking the law.
Ignorance of the law not being an excuse.

In human laws, offenses are weighted and punishments tagged to the gravity of the offense.
The question you ask is saying,
there's no human offense committed in a finite lifetime that warrants eternal,endless,never-ending,infinite punishment.
Some offenses are quite brief, e.g uttering a wrong word or slander (how long does that take).
Humanly, the sin is too trivial (by man's standard) . But this begs the question of how correct is our standard? We are imperfect beings. Error is in our dna? Yet we want to weigh sin with our imperfect perceptions of it?
We are always shifting the mark on what sin is (Is abortion sin? Is homosexuality sin? Is swearing sin? Is consensual sx btw two married couples sin?).
We have no universal standard for what constitutes sin. Next,we have no universal standard for weighing the gravity of sin?
Finally,if we could weigh sin,we have no standard for computing the full consequence of sin.
We are woefully inequipped to judge sin.
When osama bombed u.s during 9/11, could abraham hav seen it when he was shagging hagar? No.
We said thank God it didnt happen to us,and went about our own business. But what about when boko haram decimated lives in the North. Nigeria got tagged terrorist state. Businesses folded up. Destinies quashed. What of those orphans, made so,because their fathers died fighting boko haram. What of the innocent blood crying out to God daily? What of the pains,anguish and health related problems the kidnapping of the chibok girls has caused their parents. All these from just one act of sin-disobeying God's word.
Abraham couldve never seen the full weight that single sin would cause. David when shagging uriah's wife,would never see what was coming.
Fact is,we can't compute sin or grasp its full dimension with our finite minds. So on judging sin,we can never judge correctly with our fallen finite minds.
God can. And His judgements are just. Just not fully understandable from this perspective.

Even if someone burns down the whole planet, I don't believe that they deserve to be roasted forever. 8 billion lifetimes of punishment should suffice, if we adhere to the eye for an eye method of distribution.

There is no way to wiggle out of it. This is the kind of information that everyone should receive first hand, if there were a God of the nature you describe. If a God who is going to roast me for eternity because I watch porn exists, why is the God telling everyone that information BUT me?

4 Likes

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 3:20pm On Mar 06, 2016
Weah96:

Even if someone burns down the whole planet, I don't believe that they deserve to be roasted forever. 8 billion lifetimes of punishment should suffice, if we adhere to the eye for an eye method of distribution.

There is no way to wiggle out of it. This is the kind of information that everyone should receive first hand, if there were a God of the nature you describe. If a God who is going to roast me for eternity because I watch porn exists, why is the God telling everyone that information BUT me?
I believe people should be shown mercy. And justice should be tempered with mercy.
But do you and I don't know the human heart. It is hell bent on doing evil.
Is there any gaurantee that a soul that burned in hell for say 1 million years, on coming out
will cease all forms of sin? You think you know the answer . You dont .

They're people who've been to heaven and saw Jesus face to face. saw the throne of God. Did that make them so tired of this sinful world that they'd live their lives for God?
Robert Liardon comes to mind, He fell into homosexuality.
Though, He has repented.
They're others. One went to hell, came back, because at the moment he died his mom was praying for him,
and was still bent on selling drugs (his testimony is on youtube).
There's no gaurantee. But all we know is in part and dimly.
It's better to avoid it than to go there.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by cloudgoddess(f): 6:16pm On Mar 06, 2016
Goodyshoes:

Hy Cloud princess...

I'm curious, do you ENTIRELY dismiss the notion, idea or concept of God??

I ask this, not from the religious perspective..... Rather from the philosophical and ontological point of view.....
Simply put, I do not imply the notion of personal Gods espoused by religions like the Jewish god and other likes.

Cheers.
Hello smiley

My stance is that some mystical force or entity that is currently alien to humanity could exist. But as you said, I completely disagree with religion's standpoint on it -- anything that claims to know what "it" is, what it wants (if it even wants anything), what it thinks (if it even "thinks" ), how it looks (if it even has an appearance), etc.

I don't entirely find the belief in some non-personal, non-dogmatified deity one loosely refers to as "God" problematic. I'm very open to discourse about things like where the natural laws that govern our universe come from, how powerful we are as human beings and how much we're truly capable of, what happened before the big bang and the existence of a multiverse. Some people like to refer to such concepts using words like "intelligence" or "god-force" or "life-force". I have no problem with that sort of thing, although I feel it can sometimes get in the way of useful scientific inquiry, or even cause people to conflate science with pseudoscientific "woo-woo".

1 Like

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by cloudgoddess(f): 6:37pm On Mar 06, 2016
asalimpo:

Sin is imaginary.
Is 9/11 imaginary? Because they're many people hurting as a direct consequence of a sin of another.
When investors suffered loss of their assets because greedy managers played the market and failed

These are the cosequences we can see , how much can we not see.
When Abraham had consensual safe sex with hagar (not a sin to you),
did he forsee the consequences?
Boko haram,9/11, the crusades etc. How much damage has that single
act of sin wrought.

The bible says, the wages of sin is death.
The only atonement for sin is shed human blood. Barbaric to you , but that's how the spiritual system works. get it.
If you used the right lens to view the bible and the spiritual framework for things like salvation (from sin),
redemption, life, judgement,justice etc. You'll find out that the bible is sound.
But you want to judge skewedly.

Who told you consensual sin has no effect ? who told you? You just can't see the consequences
. You walk by sight and science so these things are blind to you.

Norway, america etc so called developed nations you talk about are spiralling into putrid depravity.

"Homosexuality is not morally wrong by any moral standard" -
whose moral standard are we judging by and what authority do they have to front those standards?

You conflate sin with moral wrongdoings. They are not the same thing. Sin is a made up concept from the bible & other Abrahamic scriptures. "Sins" are things that make Yahweh mad. The sin concept is not relevant to people who do not believe in Yahweh's existence.

Certainly some things that the bible classifies as sins happen to be moral wrongdoings, like murder (*with exceptions, because according to Yahweh murder is okay sometimes). But many times biblical "sins" have nothing to do with meaningful morals, and are just arbitrary activities that 1st century sex-obsessed control-hungry misogynists decided were displeasing to their made up god. For example, having sex before a ritualistic ceremony (hurts no one if every party is safe and honest, but somehow worthy of stoning if you're a woman), and sex between two consenting adults who happen to have the same genitals (again, not hurting anyone, but worthy of execution according to Yahweh).

I don't see how. Every developed country has its problems (because every human has flaws, and maintaining harmony among a large group of people with various and sometimes competing motives is a difficult undertaking). They are working on those problems. But as a whole, developed societies today are doing exponentially better than they were for most of the past. The idea that societies as a whole are getting worse is B.S. propagated to scare people into churches. I encourage you to read a little MORE about world history. Then take a deep breath of gratitude that you weren't living in the 1400's.

Like we have been since the dawn of our existence. Christianity is also one of those "created religions". It just happens to be outdated and quite frankly barbaric by modern standards. Our moral codes improve as we advance and improve; the thriving societies that exist today independent of biblical inspiration are evidence of that.

Our own? Authority is not needed for people to know what is right or wrong - all it requires is empathy. As a part of being human, we are innately capable of figuring out what is hurtful to others and to ourselves.

As I mentioned, stoning innocent women was once acceptable and now it is not, as were other extreme and inhumane punishments. As societies progress, we collectively come to better understand how we can improve well-being and peace for our fellow humans.

3 Likes

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by OgundeleT(m): 10:37pm On Mar 06, 2016
asalimpo:

which more illusive : mindless matter creating intelligent life.
that learnt by trial and error- which begs the question , Why arent apes and monkeys, nearly as advanced
as man ,given that they've had the same length of time to "evolve",
or that Intelligent Life (God) created man?

Which is more hard to believe? You answer.
may be u get biology textbook if u wanna know about evolution or u simply type it on google, evolution has nothing to do with atheist

3 Likes

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 06, 2016
Bitterleafsoup:

My Dear nothing like rapture happening ......
because it isnt plausible to you?
It seems to fantastic to be true? That's the more reason you should make sure you're not caught napping in these issues.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 10:53pm On Mar 06, 2016
OgundeleT:

may be u get biology textbook if u wanna know about evolution or u simply type it on google, evolution has nothing to do with atheist
how do atheist explain the origin of life and the planet, then?
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by GooseBaba: 3:46am On Mar 07, 2016
asalimpo:

how do atheist explain the origin of life and the planet, then?

The fact that you will associate "evolution THEORY" with atheism clearly shows that you've not sat down and reasoned the issues objectively.

The word "THEORY " should tell you that it's not an absolute finding. If new evidence comes out tomorrow everything changes. Evolution theory is a premise to understanding nature and finding answers it's not a belief. If you actually gather your thoughts on evolution and reason objectively, you will realise your folly in associating atheism with evolution.

P's I'm no Atheist.... Meanwhile death to abrahamic gods and their prophets... AMUN!!!!

1 Like

Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 4:45am On Mar 07, 2016
GooseBaba:

The fact that you will associate "evolution THEORY" with atheism clearly shows that you've not sat down and reasoned the issues objectively.

The word "THEORY " should tell you that it's not an absolute finding. If new evidence comes out tomorrow everything changes. Evolution theory is a premise to understanding nature and finding answers it's not a belief. If you actually gather your thoughts on evolution and reason objectively, you will realise your folly in associating atheism with evolution.

P's I'm no Atheist.... Meanwhile death to abrahamic gods and their prophets... AMUN!!!!
Without belief in an intelligent creator, evolution and the big bang theory is all any person is left with to explain the origin of the planet and life.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by GooseBaba: 5:59am On Mar 07, 2016
asalimpo:

Without belief in an intelligent creator, evolution and the big bang theory is all any person is left with to explain the origin of the planet and life.

Scientific premise.... Not beliefs.

Do you believe in mathematics before using it..?

If and when new evidence emerge, that premise changes. Therefore, evolution theory does not equate to atheism. Are you implying that theist do not utilize this theory of evolution?

Evolution theory is a premise to answer a question by conceptualizing intricate details. "Intelligent creator" is simply a premise used to lay claim on the mysteries surrounding us as absolute. I can also utilize the concept of intelligent design or creator without calling it a diety.
Re: When Rapture Occurs Will Atheists Believe? by asalimpo(m): 6:59am On Mar 07, 2016
finofaya:

But if I believe that the rapture has taken place, what is the point of putting a spin on it?
So if the rapture occured , you'd admit you were wrong and that atheism is a deception and you were decieved by it?
First is the admission that the event that happened is the rapture.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Are The Consequences Of Ignoring God's Call To Service? / Tips On How To Overcome Going Late To Church / For Husbands And Fathers' Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.