Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,224 members, 7,836,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun (19286 Views)

House Of Reps Grill Kemi Adeosun & Others Over Nonpayment Of Pensioners(pics) / Governor Ganduje Visits Kemi Adeosun (Photos) / Nigeria: The Economic Upside By Kemi Adeosun (finance Minister) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by tuscani: 2:12pm On Mar 08, 2016
bjdon:

Every penny spent on your education was money well spent, you are credit to your parents my brother. I hope others will read and get sense from your words
Thanks for reading the post. I am flattered
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by tuscani: 2:13pm On Mar 08, 2016
Obiwannn:

EXCELLENT PIECE
Hmmmm. thanks for reading the post
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by Mistermamus(m): 2:32pm On Mar 08, 2016
Dis 1 own na to speak english mtsheww puppet minister
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by thesicilian: 2:35pm On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

Huh? What's puerile in laughing at an amusing witty comment?

Anyway, I can't see any critique in ya comment. And I doubt you read the article. How can you even critique when there's hate in ya heart for no reason, against a level headed and bright woman trying to do the job she was appointed to do?

BTW, why "theSicilian"? I'm sure you know Sicilians are outcasts in Italy cos of their black blood due to the admixture that happened in that part of Italy when black folks ruled Iberia for 700 years. And also during Jim Crow laws in America in the 60s - Sicilian migrants in America were treated as blacks. So, are you an outcast?
Lol... I never said I critiqued Madam Minister's speech, I said I criticized her, small difference, but its there. In critiquing I'd have analyzed her speech and done a constructive work up, but I didn't really have time for her because I don't believe in her, I have read a little about her and seen she doesn't have what it takes to lead an economy like Nigeria's. So its not really about hate per se, its more like a rude awakening to the realization that we might have been taken for a ride again, by her appointment.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by 989900: 3:17pm On Mar 08, 2016
chudionu58:
Idiot, I may have to prove it a million times before a programmed zombie will acknowledge the truth... for the umpteen time....
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/cbn-warns-against-scammers-as-bvn-registration-ends-today/117236.html

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/business-interviews/199725-15-things-know-treasury-single-account-tsa.html

Which of the trifecta do you have a problem with: the definition of 'implementation', my initial post, or general comprehension issues?

You've got to pick a struggle son.

“The IPPIS programme, funded by World Bank, started about five years ago and what it required was for every officer to come physically for biometric data capture. Over the five years, unfortunately, we have only been able to capture about 295,000 federal civil servants, which represent less than 20 per cent of the total personnel on the federal par roll.

“We realized that if we can get more people on IPPIS, our salary costs will come down and so we needed to get more people on IPPIS. So I looked critically at it with the director of IPPIS, and we decided to change the strategy; rather than getting the person to come physically – which has always been the problem, we will take the payroll that we have and the bank account of everybody who is being paid.

“So, from that bank account we will get the BVN; from the BVN we can get the biometric data, so that considerably accelerated the process of getting people onto IPPIS. I can tell you that within the last two months we have been on this programme, we have been able to enrol 320,000 onto IPPIS using BVN; that is, compared to 295,000 in five years.

“We are very confident with our programme, that we will now be able to get every federally paid civil servant onto IPPIS by June. We are aggressively chasing after June.

So tell me how do you properly implement the IPPIS without a properly functioning TSA, or how is the BVN independent of the IPPIS in this ghost workers fraud scenario?

http://leadership.ng/news/500341/23000-ghost-workers-one-civil-servant-found-collecting-20-salaries

The Peoples Democratic Party had claimed recently that the TSA policy was formulated under former President Jonathan [and signed in 2012]. However, due to weak regulations and corruption in the system, several ministries, departments and agencies of the Nigerian government refused to conform with the TSA policy.

Help yourself here, I'm done with funding your education with my time.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/12/treasury-single-account-contract-signed-under-president-goodluck-jonathan

P.S. The 2 links you provided at best further buttresses either your comprehension/discombobulation issues, or deliberate effort at demagoguery/speciousness.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by SirShymexx: 3:51pm On Mar 08, 2016
thesicilian:

Lol... I never said I critiqued Madam Minister's speech, I said I criticized her, small difference, but its there. In critiquing I'd have analyzed her speech and done a constructive work up, but I didn't really have time for her because I don't believe in her, I have read a little about her and seen she doesn't have what it takes to lead an economy like Nigeria's. So its not really about hate per se, its more like a rude awakening to the realization that we might have been taken for a ride again, by her appointment.

However, is she qualified for the job? - absolutely YES.

Has she failed thus far in carrying out the task she was appointed for? - NO.

It's obvious you just don't like cos she's from a particular ethnic group. Unlike Iweala who was a double whammy of utter failure (she failed twice). She's yet to fail and thus far, she has maintained composure and spoken eloquently and articulately in all interviews she has granted about what needs to be done and how she's going about doing it, despite how daunting the task is. She's also very level headed.

So how about let her fail before lynching her?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by topkuma(m): 4:42pm On Mar 08, 2016
you need to act fast nigerians are waiting
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by dantewest: 6:32pm On Mar 08, 2016
Which 2016 budget is she talking about? The one laced with corruption or there's a new one in circulation
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by chudionu58(f): 6:35pm On Mar 08, 2016
989900:

Which of the trifecta do you have a problem with: the definition of 'implementation', my initial post, or general comprehension issues?

You've got to pick a struggle son.

So tell me how do you properly implement the IPPIS without a properly functioning TSA, or how is the BVN independent of the IPPIS in this ghost workers fraud scenario?

http://leadership.ng/news/500341/23000-ghost-workers-one-civil-servant-found-collecting-20-salaries

Help yourself here, I'm done with funding your education with my time.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/11/12/treasury-single-account-contract-signed-under-president-goodluck-jonathan

P.S. The 2 links you provided at best further buttresses either your comprehension/discombobulation issues, or deliberate effort at demagoguery/speciousness.
You are just a pathetic propagandist. You just succeeded in nailing your very stupid self by producing even more credible links showing that actual implementation started way before your illiterate government came to power....
1.Does any show clearly that "implementation never commenced" under the "clueless" government?
2.Does any show your impotent Kemi and Bubu as initiators of the three schemes? Read your links again and quietly apologize to your astonished ancestors plus your almost dead conscience!
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by mbolajide2010: 7:11pm On Mar 08, 2016
ExplorerReturns:
this woman is a joke. since you want us to enact what led us in the 50s and 60s why don't you tell bubu to restructure the country into regions with semi autonomy?

Here is the problem with us; if you and those who liked your quote could go to the national assembly and demand that, it is not too bad. You see my brother we are not ready to grow in this country, both the leaders and the followers.

We want our country to be good, but how ready are all Nigerians to make it so?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by 989900: 8:02pm On Mar 08, 2016
chudionu58:
[s]You are just a pathetic propagandist. You just succeeded in nailing your very stupid self by producing even more credible links showing that actual implementation started way before your illiterate government came to power....
1.Does any show clearly that "implementation never commenced" under the "clueless" government?
2.Does any show your impotent Kemi and Bubu as initiators of the three schemes? Read your links again and quietly apologize to your astonished ancestors plus your almost dead conscience![/s]
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by thesicilian: 9:30pm On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

However, is she qualified for the job? - absolutely YES.

Has she failed thus far in carrying out the task she was appointed for? - NO.

It's obvious you just don't like cos she's from a particular ethnic group. Unlike Iweala who was a double whammy of utter failure (she failed twice). She's yet to fail and thus far, she has maintained composure and spoken eloquently and articulately in all interviews she has granted about what needs to be done and how she's going about doing it, despite how daunting the task is. She's also very level headed.

So how about let her fail before lynching her?
When people start bringing religion, ethnicity & the likes into friendly arguments, it is usually a cue for me to back out. But just for your information, I am neither from the East or the West so please remove your mind from such divisive issues.
Go check bro, she's not ''yet to fail'', she has already failed before as the Commissioner for Finance in Ogun State. It is this practice of complacency, the wait-and-see attitude of letting people who are not fit for a job run their full unpleasant term simply because we don't want to seem like bad people, that has got us in this state of decay as a nation
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by SirShymexx: 9:58pm On Mar 08, 2016
thesicilian:

When people start bringing religion, ethnicity & the likes into friendly arguments, it is usually a cue for me to back out. But just for your information, I am neither from the East or the West so please remove your mind from such divisive issues.
Go check bro, she's not ''yet to fail'', she has already failed before as the Commissioner for Finance in Ogun State. It is this practice of complacency, the wait-and-see attitude of letting people who are not fit for a job run their full unpleasant term simply because we don't want to seem like bad people, that has got us in this state of decay as a nation

The fact that you are neither from the East(Igbo) or West(Yoruba) doesn't negate the fact that you don't like her cos of her ethnic group. As far as I'm concerned most of the other ethnic groups are much more bigoted than Yorubas and Igbos. But they just do it passively cos no one cares about them. Take Yorubas and Igbos out of Nigeria and Somali would be more lively than the country.

And how did she fail in Ogun state? Can you post her job description/detail in Ogun state and if she was given a free hand? Then compare state bureaucracy vis-a-vis federal bureaucracy based on her current portfolio?

She's there now. Live with it and critique when you have something cerebral to say.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by thesicilian: 10:20pm On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

The fact that you are neither from the East(Igbo) or West(Yoruba) doesn't negate the fact that you don't like her cos of her ethnic group. As far as I'm concerned most of the other ethnic groups are much more bigoted than Yorubas and Igbos. But they just do it passively cos no one cares about them. Take Yorubas and Igbos out of Nigeria and Somali would be more lively than the country.

And how did she fail in Ogun state? Can you post her job description/detail in Ogun state and if she was given a free hand? Then compare state bureaucracy vis-a-vis federal bureaucracy based on her current portfolio?

She's there now. Live with it and critique when you have something cerebral to say.
I have tried to steer the dialogue away tribalism and insults but it seems it's not working.
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by SirShymexx: 10:45pm On Mar 08, 2016
thesicilian:

I have tried to steer the dialogue away tribalism and insults but it seems it's not working.

Perhaps it is not working cos you don't like her but you can't really post anything cerebral that she has done wrong not to like her. If that's the case, you might have to check yourself cos you sound like a closet bigot who's in denial.

Anyway, she is there...live with it. Not saying you should like her but if you don't have anything to critique, it is always better to shut up.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by Ovamboland(m): 7:21am On Mar 09, 2016
Godmann:
What is new that this woman has said different from the same old stories?

In her words, the solution is in fixing our infrastructure; what has the present government done in this regards?

I want to see the specific new changes that the government is driving in the Economy.

Same waiting for investors.

Rubbish copy cart

You didn't see the difference because something is blocking your view, the government plans to spend about 6 times more than last year on infrastructure, and yet you ask what have they done?

The budget is to be passed hopefully this month, so learn to criticize the plans constructively.

The 30% of the budget to spent on infrastructure is less than 20% of what we need to spend yearly if we hope to have development, compare and contrast with 10% last year a mere 6% of what is needed. In this light private capital is needed both local and foreign hence the need to make news laws for PPP to protect such investments.

If the Bi-courtney arrangement had been properly handled, it would have freed 120 Billion Naira for the government to use elsewhere

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by femihassan87: 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2016
Beautiful analysis and breakdown by the Minister of Finance on the economic state of the nation. She captured the real issues and has guided the conversation going forward in the right direction.
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by bolajijohnson00: 2:51pm On Mar 10, 2016
Yes ma, Kemi Adeosun has done well with this article. That's a woman with a vision. She has shown that she is capable of the position she has been given as the honorable minister of finance.
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by bolajijohnson00: 2:52pm On Mar 10, 2016
It is good to hear that our minister is working. It makes us believe more in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by bolajijohnson00: 2:52pm On Mar 10, 2016
The Nigeria of my dreams is gradually coming to past with people at the helm of affairs that are working. Kudos
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by bolajijohnson00: 2:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
Nice write up to our minister of finance. Its good to know that there are plans to make Nigeria great again
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by bolajijohnson00: 2:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
great write up.
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by Nobody: 3:45pm On Mar 10, 2016
FinanceNigeria:
Nigeria: The Economic Upside
By Kemi Adeosun

Nigerians voted for change and to attain that change there is a need to do things differently, in the recognition that doing what we have always done will only result in more of the same. That change has started with the vital offensive against corruption, which has had a huge and adverse effect on our economy. Much of the debilitating underinvestment in our infrastructure that has handicapped our economic growth, has arisen because funds were diverted to enrich a few at the expense of the wider populace. At the lower levels, the waste, inefficiency and culture of non-performance have, like a financial cancer, eaten away at our core institutions. We are already beginning to see change. The slide towards self-destruction has slowed down but we must now work collectively to ensure that we exploit the upside from our situation.

Globally the downturn has hit all nations, rich and poor alike. The manner in which governments have intervened to protect their economies have been diverse and innovative. What is abundantly clear is the fact that the previous consensus about what is best for the global economy is rapidly changing. There is a concerted move towards individualism rather than collectivism. The new normal for the global economy is that there is no normal, each nation must painstakingly work out the best path to follow.

For Nigeria, we believe that the best path to follow is to invest in infrastructure that will unlock the potential in the non oil sectors. We can transition from being a commodity economy to an industrialised, regionally dominant one. Oil is important but clearly, oil it not enough. Iran is a very recent and relevant example of living without oil. The sanctions that embargoed Iran’s oil led to the development of robust petrochemical and other export industries that enabled the country to survive. Iran survived without oil, made tough decisions and is now being feted by investors as the next growth story.

The focus of our economic policy is to redress the infrastructure deficit, unlock the rich diversity in the economy with a determined and focussed turnaround programme. For us it would be a tragedy to have endured so much pain and not emerge better and stronger. The provision of a spending stimulus to the economy is critical to releasing the upside in the economy. Investing specifically in Power and Transportation will release the opportunities in solid minerals, manufacturing and agriculture.

However, government spending alone is insufficient to bridge the infrastructure gap and there is a need to embrace private capital to provide additional impact. We are at an advanced stage of reforming the process for Public Private Partnerships to provide a seamless pathway to attracting much needed private, financial and operational input to service delivery. Private capital brings more than financial resources; it also brings discipline and best practice, creating a benchmark against which the utilisation of public money can be measured.
It is important to link the fiscal housekeeping initiatives that we have started with the wider economic strategy. Specifically, questions around the focus on corruption and the elimination of ghost workers, controlling inefficient spending and preventing revenue leakages, need to be evaluated in the context of how it impacts our ability to stimulate the economy. We have been increasing our level of borrowing annually, and much of that is used to fund recurrent spending. Indeed in 2015 just 10% of spending went to capital items. We spent more on travel, training and stationery than on roads. No nation has ever developed with such consistent underinvestment in capital.

Growing the economy at a rate that will address the employment needs of our huge population requires a fundamental change in how government collects its revenues and spends. The 2016 budget is deficit financed; and the fiscal housekeeping which is aggressively blocking revenue leakages and reducing costs is firmly aimed at ensuring that the borrowed funds are channelled into capital projects, rather than seeping through an inefficient financial management system. This is not only prudent economics but it is a moral necessity, since these borrowings will be repaid by future generations. Therefore, while we focus fully on the macroeconomic indicators; we must and will continue to focus on the micro factors which collectively shape and determine the larger picture.

The road map to attaining our objectives is a tough one, and we may endure the financial pain for longer than we would prefer, but the upside is that we have actually already endured the worst part of the adjustment cycle. The outlook for oil prices is looking more positive but we are fundamentally determined to ignore oil. One word that will resonate across all that we do in government is ‘Discipline’. Financial discipline is going to be a game changer in shaping the future of Nigeria’s economy.

Our focus will make sure that ‘every naira counts’ irrespective of its source. The government is ready and determined to lead this crusade of financial responsibility. The big questions are:

Is the populace ready to do the right thing in their respective areas of operations?
• Are we willing to be frugal and conservative in expenditure?
• Are we as custodians of the nation’s wealth willing to manage the resources entrusted to us with care, knowing that someday we will be called to account?
• Are we willing to confront those who mismanage our collective wealth regardless of the consequences?

Dare we look at what worked successfully in the 50s and 60s, and then modernise and re-enact them?
• Dare we look at global trends, and courageously invest in our forecasted choices?

Nigeria stands on the threshold, daring to move into previously uncharted territory through identifying and embracing novel economic and fiscal policy stratagems that will release our considerable upside. We are for innovation to create a new workable path, courage, and discipline to implement and build a resilient economy that is not controlled by the oil price.

This is the first of three articles by Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, Honourable Minister of Finance, Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Follow the Federal Ministry of Finance on Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/FinanceNigeria
if they paid you to write, write well, but be assured that the time for grammer has passed. get your minister to produce results else as long as you are in this country if i buy a cup of garri for 100, you too will.
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 10, 2016
bolajijohnson00:

great write up.
if you like write it with a different account and comment with another, Nigerians want results, time for propaganda has passed
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by tpiar: 10:25pm On Mar 11, 2016
Back to sender/s in Jesus name.
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2016
Standing5:
All the populace demands from the govt in order to buy into such idea is accountability and technical support. How do you tell a man to start producing toothpick or packaging chicken when cheaper alternative is being smuggled and lack of systemic support like roads, subsidy, water, electricity being enjoyed by foreign produces are helping them keep cost down? The task goes beyond the minister and Nigerian producers. The govt must block smuggled alternatives, subsidized things being subsidized in other countries, provide good road network, electricity, water and expertise. These things goes beyond the minister of finance. The govt must step up first before the populace can step up their productivity.
you can't block demand or supply. ask Colombian drug lords or Russian black marketeers.

produce cheaper and see the magic happen
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:16pm On Jul 15, 2016
Standing5:
All the populace demands from the govt in order to buy into such idea is accountability and technical support. How do you tell a man to start producing toothpick or packaging chicken when cheaper alternative is being smuggled and lack of systemic support like roads, subsidy, water, electricity being enjoyed by foreign produces are helping them keep cost down? The task goes beyond the minister and Nigerian producers. The govt must block smuggled alternatives, subsidized things being subsidized in other countries, provide good road network, electricity, water and expertise. These things goes beyond the minister of finance. The govt must step up first before the populace can step up their productivity.
you can't block demand or supply. ask Colombian drug lords or Russian black marketeers.

Standing5
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2016
ExplorerReturns:
this woman is a joke. since you want us to enact what led us in the 50s and 60s why don't you tell bubu to restructure the country into regions with semi autonomy?
we already have 36 regions and they're all autonomous
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:20pm On Jul 15, 2016
PassingShot:
Instead of analysing and commenting on the messages contained in the article, the pained losers above chose to play to the gallery. SMH for the "leaders of tomorrow". Leaders ko. Looters of tomorrow night.

@topic, I equally believe that Nigeria is taking the turn to better economy having survived DasukiGate, MettuhGate, BadehGate, DokpesiGate and even the IneffectualBuffoonGate.

This woman needs to write and communicate more so that wailers get to know she's up to the task. Unlike the paper heavy weight Madam Gele who is rich in paper qualifications but empty on performance.

PMB will need to make at least 10 trips to equal just one by the IB. You know why? The IB used to travel with up to 300 delegates on his entourage while PMB's is around 20, 30 persons. Figure it out!
who Ib help
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:21pm On Jul 15, 2016
leonbob:
my problem with this administration is their lack of readiness to rule and more annoying is their inability to carry the populace along

why would a president announce his plans only when he's abroad making unguarded statements
angry
those that were ready to rule and carried you along. Wetin you benefit. simple question o
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by MIKOLOWISKA: 10:24pm On Jul 15, 2016
opribo:
What is this one saying again that we have never heard before. They sang the same song under operation feed the nation obj, ibb - SAP, yaradu 7 point agenda, GEJ transformation.

All these things she is saying is grammar, those former policies they told us and we followed them only ended up destroying our economy the more.
If I am to suggest to you madam, they should encourage and develop the local industries, and this starts with you. Wear made in Nigeria Ankara fabrics to work like madam NOI and late madam Akunyili and encourage all your colleagues to dreee in Nigerian fabrics Baba inclusive.
Ensure strictly fiscal discipline in govt, all wasteful trips must be stopped, medical delivery system must be improved such that all treatments must be done here unless where such cannot be handled here. No more holiday vacations abroad for govt officials go to your state and develop it. Educational instructions should be developed and given the necessary support.
Every state should have at least one fed ministry sited there.
Open up the rural areas for development and agriculture, reorientate the youths.
Improve power, create a safe enabling environment for business and so on and so forth
if they can afford made in Nigeria, how Nigerians can. made in China slash okrika are way cheaper cos we have no textile base
Re: Nigeria: The Economic Upside- Kemi Adeosun by Standing5(m): 10:45pm On Jul 15, 2016
MIKOLOWISKA:

How do u achieve cheaper production when all the factors of production are inflated?
Dynamics of drug world don't count much here so stop dishing irrelevant facts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Dogara’s People Voted Against Buhari’s Man / House Of Reps Okay's 10 New States + Ban Nigerian's In Diaspora From Elections / Why Buhari Won't Succeed In 4 Years - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.