Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! (29912 Views)

Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise / My Landlord Just Acted What I See In Movies To My Face / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out - Assistance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 1:34pm On Mar 17, 2016
First of all you live in one room and parlour with a wife,2kids and mother in law,that's enough to drive a landlord to the wall,in my opinion that's an abuse of a privilege,however I pray things get better for you in no time,but am not sure if any new landlord will give u a room with your baggage,can your mother in law not go back to village?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 1:36pm On Mar 17, 2016
ahnie:
Please the likes of ma'am efemenexy,snr detective ifyalways,tearoses a.k.a chaircover,madam blank,mullah acidosis please your expertise are need,to know if this op z a scammer or if he's sincere.please do the needful,i just hope op z not beatsbug/gracesome/joself akpan elijah.

Mr. Lanre has called me, I don't know his moniker on here. he said i should get one or two places ready, so once he comes around to confirm my story he will also check the two places i have gotten and come back on here with feedback to all who wants to assist me. I am overwhelmed because i never thought of getting financial help with the story. God bless you all
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 17, 2016
Go to court-
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by kenlinzo(m): 1:40pm On Mar 17, 2016
sodconfirm:

I have N40,000, A room and palour around here is mostly N3,500 per month for each room, both room is N7,000 which is N84,000 for 1yr, Including agreement and commission which is N25,000 each (N50,000). I will need a total of N134,000. Minus truck for moving my belongings But i will appreciate anything you can assist me with. I can urgently sell some of my belongings to balance it up.

please, don't confuse yourself ooooo. We have a lot of gud thinking nIGERIANS here oooooooo
you used 120k to pay for 2yrs and now, you want to use 134k for 1yr.
according to you, you dnt have a gud job for nw. My advice is for you to look for a house that suit your person for now and,
mind how to respond to qwestions so you dn't shoot yourself on the leg.
Would have helped if i'm in position though.all dsame, will join u in prayers.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by JesusDWay(m): 1:41pm On Mar 17, 2016
My take is that either TEHN(or what is the name of the group on nairaland that helps people) or good samaritans here can contribute 60k for the guy and let him go and pay for the new apartment so he can move out in peace.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Mekyno(m): 1:43pm On Mar 17, 2016
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by klassic(m): 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2016
If I understand what op is saying, Basic rent is 84k other incidental expenses such as agency and legal is 50k which makes it a total of 134k. Dear Op if u have that money, why don't u move closer to Ota and get a mini flat or 2bedroom for 100k per year and the balance will cover other incidental expenses.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2016
euromilion:
First of all you live in one room and parlour with a wife,2kids and mother in law,that's enough to drive a landlord to the wall,in my opinion that's an abuse of a privilege,however I pray things get better for you in no time,but am not sure if any new landlord will give u a room with your baggage,can your mother in law not go back to village?

My brother, my situation is not by choice, it's by circumstance. Like i stated in my story i stayed in a 2 bedroom flat before i lost my job in 2008. my mother in-law is the only living parent and guardian we have as a family. We can't count her usefulness to our lives. I can not be happy that we are living together, It's a turn in situation which i believe will not last long. In other words the landlord does not have any complain at all about it.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Mekyno(m): 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2016
Teespice:

I clearly understand your sentiments and I am well aware what a tenant at will entails.

I gave my advice based on the facts given. nothing inferred, added or subtracted.

it is left for the op to tell whether there was any agreement as to the occupation of the premises.

cheers.
dear, jst ignore d guy, he is an attention seeker.
He even called the 6 months quit notice, which is under d law, a myth. Can u imagine that?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by kaziblake(f): 1:52pm On Mar 17, 2016
cbrass:

I didn't want to comment on this thread before, because I have witnessed the rascslities of tenants to the point my dad was arrested by police for taking In a tenant selling diesel products alleged tonhave been stolen without my dad's consent. My dad is a very gentle man so is me and was trying to do things the right way but my sisters took up the matter.
Ladies are very funny o grin. They frustrated the mans life by waking every morning and standing infront of his room to start discussions ladened with heavy insults, then they went further to lock the water entering their flat, then they insulted the mans wife out of this world. It was the following week I learnt they packed out. Lol.
Lol cheesy
Unfortunately my mum is so scared of the law so she tries to obey it.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 1:59pm On Mar 17, 2016
kenlinzo:

please, don't confuse yourself ooooo. We have a lot of gud thinking nIGERIANS here oooooooo
you used 120k to pay for 2yrs and now, you want to use 134k for 1yr.
according to you, you dnt have a gud job for nw. My advice is for you to look for a house that suit your person for now and,
mind how to respond to qwestions so you dn't shoot yourself on the leg.
Would have helped if i'm in position though.all dsame, will join u in prayers.

Please i will appreciate it if you do not mis-understand me. Please read my post very well before you make conclusions. I can never use my predicament to make money. If not for the urgent situation i find myself, I can still be able to save to get a place if i have the usual 6months notice. I have been able to manage my family and save from the little i earn. Thank you all the same for your contributions.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by jayriginal: 2:02pm On Mar 17, 2016
Teespice:

I know the advice does not apply to a tenant at will. it applies to a yearly tenant.

the "mythical" six months grace is provided for in relevant tenancy laws. it did not come out of the blue.

and I am not a law student. I am a lawyer.

You're a lawyer now?
I'm happy for you.

If you knew your advice didn't apply to a tenant at will, why did you give it?

Concerning the six months, you should bear in mind it is not automatic (even when dealing with a yearly tenancy) and where it applies, it applies to an extant tenancy.

I sincerely hope you will not dispute the above.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by MadCow1: 2:06pm On Mar 17, 2016
Geesanni:
u too dunb,read d post b4 u dey ask jamb question

Lol @ "dunb"... grin
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 17, 2016
naijathings:

before you put your feet into the water, you have to check if it is deep or shallow or has crocodiles or snakes inside. you don't just jump into the river because you want to have a bath.

funny how many stories like these keep popping up on Nairaland and how most of them turned out to be catfish stories.

Oga
Thats why I said we should verify
abi how U see am

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by jayriginal: 2:11pm On Mar 17, 2016
Mekyno:

dear, jst ignore d guy, he is an attention seeker.
He even called the 6 months quit notice, which is under d law, a myth. Can u imagine that?

If I was looking for attention, it's not yours I was looking for. I singled her out for a reason and I've hinted at it.

I'll just state it plainly here, there is no such law that obliges a landlord to keep a tenant in his house for six months free of charge, simply because he wants to evict the tenant.

That's a myth and one that is very popular in Nigeria. Fortunately truth is not measured by popularity.

It would do you better to follow the discussion and learn than to respond as you did up there.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Princewell2012(m): 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2016
dastudent:
Get a lawyer. You are allowed to stay in the house for at least six months after you get an ejection notice. If he forces you out, i think you have a right to sue...Not sure if it's sue though.

Mmmmm, you re actually right. But remember this man is leaving with his family, and this landlord, you don.t know his next line of action. You heard the comments from the pc ? The police don.t even assured him any form of protection.

Mind you this man may also be an enfluential person that has connection. No be Nigeria we dey.

I think he actually needs a help. He should post his house address here, lets some body out there who care to help go and verify it. He should also don.t forget to include his phone number.

Thats my to cent.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by jayriginal: 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2016
poseidon12:

Are you God?
Lol.
You could ask the guy in question.

He will tell you himself that he's not going to heaven.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Teespice(f): 2:19pm On Mar 17, 2016
jayriginal:

You're a lawyer now?
I'm happy for you.

If you knew your advice didn't apply to a tenant at will, why did you give it?

Concerning the six months, you should bear in mind it is not automatic (even when dealing with a yearly tenancy) and where it applies, it applies to an extant tenancy.

I sincerely hope you will not dispute the above.

okay.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by blackboy2star(m): 2:22pm On Mar 17, 2016
You didn't put your account number for donations huh grin grin talk is cheap, way forward ni kooko... Your landlord no dey nairaland huh
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by LKO(m): 2:22pm On Mar 17, 2016
Akainzo:

Please most people misinterpret this provision of the law. It actually applies to both parties!

If your Landlord wants to eject you, he would give you 6 months notice.
If the tenant wants to renew, he should also give 6 months notice.

So if neither party gives any notice, it is deemed that both accept that the tenancy agreement will lapse at the end of the Present Contract.

So OP might be better off negotiating with the Landlord.

Bad guy. Lol. Most tenants hurriedly signs tenancy agreement without consulting a lawyer. Landlord with smart lawyer now drafts tenancy of one year certain. So, as a tenant, if u want to renew you must write a letter to the landlord three or six months to the expiration of the tenancy. If d tenant fail to do this, he must pay to renew the rent on the eve or the very day his tenancy expires. Failure to pay, u get seven days notice and not the so-called six months notice. Sadly, when a tenant is in this cross road, he runs to a lawyer, and most lawyers wont bother to explain to them, after all they need legal fee.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Ghandi12: 2:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
jayriginal:

If I was looking for attention, it's not yours I was looking for. I singled her out for a reason and I've hinted at it.
I'll just state it plainly here, there is no such law that obliges a landlord to keep a tenant in his house for six months free of charge, simply because he wants to evict the tenant.
That's a myth and one that is very popular in Nigeria. Fortunately truth is not measured by popularity.
It would do you better to follow the discussion and learn than to respond as you did up there.

Please I am interested in your demystification of this popular "myth". I have picked-up a net copy of the tenancy law to educate myself.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Legislation/Laws%20of%20the%20States/Lagos%20State/Tenancy%20Law%202011..pdf

Could you please point to the exact section that invalidates this popular "myth".
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
Opeoluwaadewole:
If your landlord said you live ,live but you have money to get apartment,sometime tennant dont encourage their landlord.they like to cause unnecessary trouble tennant they misbehave.
You smoke weed? Wetin you dey type like this? this guy needs simple advice you dey here dey type nonsense.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Mekyno(m): 2:27pm On Mar 17, 2016
jayriginal:

u jst did by mention/quoting me.
Ok, Tnx anyway.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Hymoney: 2:28pm On Mar 17, 2016
Plz KeepYA Challenges To Ya Self... if you really exist, Only The Lazy Get This Broke...#Reality#
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Princewell2012(m): 2:32pm On Mar 17, 2016
Ramanto:
So sorry about your ordeal sir, i will suggest you pay him a visit today at his residence and let him see reasons he has to cosider you. Dont let him storm your place before you make this move, you can as well find who is best friend is, whose pleas he cant turn down. Everyone has got such A friend, i'm sure he also does.. you will get a prefencial treatment frm hm after ths course of action. I Wount Advise You Report Hm To Any Authorities As That May Prompt Him To Go Diabolical. Not That I Doubt The Fact That You Serve A 'Living God' Every Other Person Does,even The Said Landlord. All The Best. Ignore Any Typo Errors

God bless you sir, thats exactly my thought, don.t mind those who suggest he report him. I bet you that will complicate the matter. Mind you this man is also leaving with his family, and you also heard the comments of the PC.

They the Nigerian police were not even ready to protect him.

Even God is not even in support of him going to curt. Read Matthew 5. 25 and 40.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by heroesoff8: 2:33pm On Mar 17, 2016
Example: tenant A rents a yearly apartment starting April 2015 and expires 31 March 2016. His landlord can issue him quit notice which will run from April 2016 to 30Sept 2016. This does not anyway imply that the tenant will live this 6months free! He will still pay it to the landlord or court if the matter had been taken to court! This is why most landlords prefer to issue quit notice to tenants while their rent is still on course to capture the six months that would lap with the expiration of the tenants tenure.
Hope it's clear?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by jayriginal: 2:38pm On Mar 17, 2016
Ghandi12:

Please I am interested in your demystification of this popular "myth". I have picked-up a net copy of the tenancy law to educate myself.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Legislation/Laws%20of%20the%20States/Lagos%20State/Tenancy%20Law%202011..pdf

Could you please point to the exact section that invalidates this popular "myth".

You may start by quoting the section that states a tenant may stay 6months for free after being served a notice to quit.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Ghandi12: 2:39pm On Mar 17, 2016
heroesoff8:
Example: tenant A rents a yearly apartment starting April 2015 and expires 31 March 2016. His landlord can issue him quit notice which will run from April 2016 to 30Sept 2016. This does not anyway imply that the tenant will live this 6months free! He will still pay it to the landlord or court if the matter had been taken to court! This is why most landlords prefer to issue quit notice to tenants while their rent is still on course to capture the six months that would lap with the expiration of the tenants tenure.
Hope it's clear?

Laws are subject to multiple interpretations. Could you please quote from the exact/relevant sections of the law to buttress your assertions. This is a link to pdf copy of the law.

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Ghandi12: 2:47pm On Mar 17, 2016
Just by the way...many tenants and landlords alike have been breaking the laws all along.

4.-(1) It shall be unlawful for a landlord or his agent to demand or receive from a sitting tenant rent in excess of six (6) months from a monthly tenant and one (1) year from a yearly tenant in respect of any premises without prejudice to the nature of tenancy held at the commencement of the tenancy.

(2) It shall be unlawful for a sitting tenant to offer or pay rent in excess of one (1) year for a yearly tenant and six (6) months for a monthly tenant in respect of any premises.

(3) It shall be unlawful for a landlord or his agent to demand or receive from a new or would be tenant rent in excess of one (1) year in respect of any premises.

(4) It shall be unlawful for a new or would be tenant to offer or pay rent in excess of one (1) year in respect of any premises.

(5) Any person who receives or pays rent in excess of what is prescribed in this Section shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine of One Hundred Thousand Naira (N100,000.00) or to three (3) months imprisonment

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Princewell2012(m): 2:48pm On Mar 17, 2016
bettercreature:
You must be a thief or stole the money from somewhere,no hard working man would build a house and allow people to live there for free
Mine are not inheritance they are investment,i know how much my friend who has hotels are making daily

Don.t ever say such a things again, everybody cannot be you. A house very close to my office imagine a place like GRA. This man lived there for more than ten years with his family. All they do is to take care of the house. So don.t say what you don.t know.

And there are so many of them on these categories.

There some Nigerian who don.t love money the way you do, every body cannot be the same.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by boujaye: 2:58pm On Mar 17, 2016
Do you have the receipt of the payment from your landlord? If yes make photocopy of it and lodge a complain with the police, if your fraudulent landlord still carried out the threat of evicting you without refunds, you can bring in the police.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Builds 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Widow In Anambra / Plan Of My 6 Flat, 2 Bedroom Each. What Do U Think / How Much Will It Cost Me To Develop This Building Plan To Roofing (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.