Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,396 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! (29914 Views)

Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise / My Landlord Just Acted What I See In Movies To My Face / My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out - Assistance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by paulsconnect: 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2016
Panzerfaust:
How old are you?
certainly older than u
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Panzerfaust(m): 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2016
paulsconnect:
certainly older than u
Judgıng by your comment, ım now sure that Common Sense and Age are not dırectly related.
Grow up. (Mentally, not physıcally)
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by semochendo1(m): 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2016
sodconfirm:
Hello NLs

I type this message with a very confused and worried heart because i don't know what to do next, I had financial challenges after loosing my job in 2008, I had to cut down on my living so i moved from my 2bedroom flat in Ifako Ijaye to a room and parlor house off AIT road, Alagbado, I am married with 2 kids and we live together here, we are the last of 5 tenants, my second year rent just ended February 2016 ( Last month), I owe no house rent nor electricity bill nor lawma bills.

I was able to manage my home with my farm management job. My landlord arrived by late January from London, Uk where he is based and said i should not bother paying this year's rent that we should all pack out of the house, He said some two tenants who have been in the house for many years owes him money and they also don't pay bills, he wants to send everyone packing and he gave us just 5 DAYS to move, I explained to him that i have not gathered enough money to rent new place, He said he will refund a year rent for me which is 60k (5k monthly for the 2 rooms). I was satisfied because i had about N50,000 in my account and i have been planning to move out of this out because i am not recording any progress since i moved in. I believe i could get another place with that amount. He did not promise the others any help before he left.

The two oldest tenant that have stayed for about 7 years told us after he left that he will still come back to collect the rent, that is his usual method whenever he comes around. He has been telling them to vacate the house since first year they moved in, To cut the story short, I started looking for a place and i got a place, I called him for the 60k promise to add to what i have to pay the rent. He started posting me until i got tired of calling him only for him to surface again on Sunday 13th of March after a month plus with a bricklayer, they started blocking the back door with bricks, he said everyone must move out, after much pleading, he blocked off the two old tenants while they hurriedly move out their belongings, their belongings still litter around the compound, he blocked off the toilet bath and kitchen and he brought an electrician to disconnect the light.

We are now left in darkness with no bathroom toilet and kitchen. He said he is coming back again for the rest of us by Friday 18th of March with OPC to move us out. I pleaded with him that i have gotten a new place that he should give me the money he promised so i can pay for the place and move in there before friday. He said NO, he insisted that i will have to pack my properties outside first before he can give me the money. The people who live on the same street with us started coming in with different stories of how the man has ejected tenants in the past, How he sometimes bring in Nigerian Army to throw people out, How he is heavily charmed, How he has placed charms on the four corners of the house and people started dying until they moved out, Although i don't believe that any evil power can overcome me, i am not afraid of charms because i serve a living God. They said that is how he usually promise people he thinks can resist him and he will suddenly storm the house and move them out. They were telling me with assurance that he will not give me a dime. I am concerned about him coming with who ever he has in his plan to throw my belongings out when i don't have anywhere to go or money to get another place. I do not owe this man any rent, I still have the teller i used to pay the last rent into his account. He has not served me any letter or quit notice.

Please mods i plead with you to help me move this to front-page so i can get advice and possible help. I don't know exactly where to post this but please help me move it to the right session. I need to act fast before he comes in 2 days (Friday). I am planning to tweet this link to as many people as possible. I will appreciate all the help and advise i can get, I can't imagine to be homeless with my family.

I really feel your plight. Here is the way forward.

Try to get to his wife or someone close to him unfailingly today, explain this let them realize they are your last hope. I'm sure this will work.

Great people pass through this kind of stuff, It's a sign of greatness. Never give up!

To those who don't take serious issues serious, who think they could make fun out of any topic with senseless comments, keep it up, nemesis is at the corner. It's very simple, when people are under serious issues like this, if you don't have any useful comment that could solve their problem, why not keep silent?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Akainzo(m): 12:12pm On Mar 17, 2016
sodconfirm:

God bless you my brother, The address is No 15. Thomas Ekun Street. Blue Banana bus stop. Off Ait Road. Alagbado. Here is my phone number in case you need direction 08089967066 and 08092566176. I had N50,000 When the problem started but i have spent out of it. I now have N40,000.

I look forward to moving out first even if i want to fight for my right.

My guy, send me a PM or reply my email.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by jayriginal: 12:12pm On Mar 17, 2016
Booty4me:
Op you have right to at least 6month grace . no landlord can just wake up and eveict everyone just like that.. No quit notice

Where did you learn that one?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by BrOwnSuga3: 12:14pm On Mar 17, 2016
bettercreature:
You have to use full force in some cases,those tenants are too stubborn,You can not recoup the money you spent to build a house in 20years let alone playing with a tenant who refuse to pay a token or refuse to leave the house

Please stop bringing up this "those tenants are too stubborn" bullsshit.

In this case, the landlord is the stubborn one

How can you evict all the tenants for the sins of few?

You must be one of those wicked and heartless landlords

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 12:15pm On Mar 17, 2016
ifenes:
@Sodconfirm How much do you need for your house? 50,000?

I have N40,000, A room and palour around here is mostly N3,500 per month for each room, both room is N7,000 which is N84,000 for 1yr, Including agreement and commission which is N25,000 each (N50,000). I will need a total of N134,000. Minus truck for moving my belongings But i will appreciate anything you can assist me with. I can urgently sell some of my belongings to balance it up.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by iliyande(m): 12:17pm On Mar 17, 2016
MadCow1:
Wetin you do?

Hi, its been long time.

you did not reply my mail. cheers
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Alexk2(m): 12:17pm On Mar 17, 2016
Sasuwa;]Today is my birthday , let me get some likes pls
HBD dear.... Instead of looking for people who'll donate like, the best and rewarding thing to do on this day is to donate and help this man. You'll be happy yo do.
Thanks in advance.

5 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Ramanto(m): 12:17pm On Mar 17, 2016
Panzerfaust:
How old are you?
Best Question Of The Month So Far. That Dude Is Still Being Fed And Sheltered By Parents
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 12:18pm On Mar 17, 2016
semochendo1:

Try to get to his wife or someone close to him unfailingly today, explain this let them realize they are your last hope. I'm sure this will work.

Great people pass through this kind of stuff, It's a sign of greatness. Never give up!

To those who don't take serious issues serious, who think they could make fun out of any topic with senseless comments, keep it up, nemesis is at the corner. It's very simple, when people are under serious issues like this, if you don't have any useful comment that could solve their problem, why not keep silent?

Thank you very much for the suggestion and encouragement, But he came with his wife to cut the light and build the bricks, Infact the wife is more ruthless than he is. I will looking at getting help to move my family out and possibly initiate a legal action to fight for my right.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by jayriginal: 12:19pm On Mar 17, 2016
Teespice:
first of all you are a yearly tenant which means that your landlord going by the provisions of the tenancy laws of lagos state is meant to give you six months notice. he ran foul of that when he gave you five days notice. you are not a weekly tenant na. weekly tenants even get seven days notice.

My dear, refrain from giving advice unless you know exactly what you are doing.

OP is a tenant at will. Secondly I'm pretty sure there was no tenancy agreement.

I'm giving you hints.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by ifenes(m): 12:20pm On Mar 17, 2016
sodconfirm:

I have N40,000, A room and palour around here is mostly N3,500 per month for each room, both room is N7,000 which is N84,000 for 1yr, Including agreement and commission which is N25,000 each (N50,000). I will need a total of N134,000. Minus truck for moving my belongings But i will appreciate anything you can assist me with. I can urgently sell some of my belongings to balance it up.

What is your mobile number please? I will send you 50,000 ok?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by toma3: 12:21pm On Mar 17, 2016
The office of public defender House,2-8,Iyun Road,off Funsho Williams/Western Avenue
Surulere,Lagos State Nigeria
+234 708 060 1080

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by olarhtunji(m): 12:21pm On Mar 17, 2016
Sasuwa:
Today is my birthday , let me get some likes pls

inside diz serious matter u are asking 4 likes...

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Akainzo(m): 12:23pm On Mar 17, 2016
sodconfirm:

Bros, at 84,000 per year.
10% for Agreement & Commission is 16,800 and not 50,000.00 (even 20% will still be 33,600.

Truck will be another 10K

Your calculations seem off. Don't let people start to think you want to scam. Be as close to the truth and Open as possible.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Ghandi12: 12:23pm On Mar 17, 2016
Akainzo:

Please most people misinterpret this provision of the law. It actually applies to both parties!
If your Landlord wants to eject you, he would give you 6 months notice.
If the tenant wants to renew, he should also give 6 months notice.
So if neither party gives any notice, it is deemed that both accept that the tenancy agreement will lapse at the end of the Present Contract.
So OP might be better off negotiating with the Landlord

If your deductions are correct I am sure not many tenants/law-enforcers are aware of the pre-conditions to enjoying this grace period.

I think its a good thing we all should, once-in-a-while, study laws guiding our lives and regulating our businesses.

This is a link to detail New Lagos Tenancy Law 2011

https://www.nigeriapropertycentre.com/blog/renting-letting/the-lagos-tenancy-law-in-detail

General Application
1. Application of Law

(1) This Law shall apply to all premises within Lagos State, including business and residential premises unless otherwise specified

(2) This Law shall not apply to :

(a) residential premises owned or operated by an educational institution for its staff and students;

(b) residential premises provided for emergency shelter;

(c ) Residential premises

(i) in a care or hospice facility;

(ii) in a public or private hospital or a mental health facility; and

(d) that is made available in the course of providing rehabilitative or therapeutic treatment.
2. Jurisdiction of the Courts

(1) A Court shall have jurisdiction on application made to it by a landlord or tenant or any interested person to determine matters in respect of the tenancy of any premises let before or after the commencement of this Law.

(2) The jurisdiction of a Court shall not be ousted by the defendant or respondent setting up the title of any other party.

(3) Proceedings may be brought under this Law at the High Court or at the Magistrates’ Court in the division or the Magisterial District in which the subject matter giving rise to the proceedings is located.

(4) Subject to the provision of this Law, a Court shall be bound by the practice and procedure in civil matters in the Magistrates’ Court or the High Court of Lagos State.
3. Tenancy Agreement

For the purposes of this Law, a tenancy agreement shall be deemed to exist where premises are granted by the landlord to a person for value whether or not it is

(a) express or implied;

(b) oral or in writing or partly oral or partly written; or

(c) for a fixed period.
4. Advance Rent

(1) It shall be unlawful for a landlord or his agent to demand or receive from a sitting tenant rent in excess of three (3) months in respect of any premises.

(2) It shall be unlawful for a sitting tenant to offer or pay rent in excess of three (3) months in respect of any premises.

(3) Any person who receives or pay rent in excess of what is prescribed in this section shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable to a fine of one hundred thousand naira (N100,000.00) or to three (3) months imprisonment or any other non-custodial disposition.
5. Rent payment receipt

(1) As from the commencement of this Law, all landlords of premises shall upon payment of rent by the tenants, be obliged to issue a rent payment receipt to their tenants in respect of such payments.

(2) The receipt shall state the

(a) Date of which rent was received;

(b) Name of the landlord and the tenant;

(c) Location of premises in respect of which the rent is paid

(d) Amount of rent paid; and

(e) Period to which the payment relates.

(4) Any landlord who fails to issue a rent payment receipt to his tenant as prescribed under this Section, shall be liable to a fine of ten thousand Naira (N10,000.00) payable to the Court...

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Jay5000(m): 12:23pm On Mar 17, 2016
@OP:; Sue for damages of at least 11m. if you can't afford a lawyer, report to Public Complaints commission or Lagos state Citizens Mediation centre or Office of the public defender for free (relatively) service.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by macaranta(m): 12:23pm On Mar 17, 2016
ttmacoy:
When I read statements like this it just makes me realise how much religion holds this country hostage.

What the landlord is doing is illegal pure and simply but here we are trying to justify it with when God is trying to move you to a barren land.

That is part of the mentality that has led us to this state where everything goes with no care for law or order. We have laws in Nigeria don't we? Isn't it illegal for a landlord to evict a tenant withou due notice? Isn't it illegal to prevent tenants especially with children from using facilities in a house? The landlord has obviously committed a crime but hey just take it and go. You don't know it God is trying to take you from your barren land.

No he must stand up for his right and go report the landlord. It's this attitude of just take it and thank God that has led Nigeria to a country where everyone just does what they want with no penalty nothing.

There was a post on nairaland where a lady complained about sexual abuse by her boss but our response, just pray about it. A lady posted about a guy molesting her in a bus, our response just pray about it you don't know what God can do.

We justify everything bad now with the hope that it's God trying to make things better. I'm sorry but we have a long way to go before we develop the attitude that will make Nigeria great.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, it just makes me so mad at how far we have fallen as a nation.

Dude I do get your point..if you read carefully what the op posted you'll discover that he financially doesn't have the capacity to initiate a legal proceeding..it will be wiser he tows the path of settling amicably. Court cases in Nigerian can drag on for months ...and could be financially draining.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 12:25pm On Mar 17, 2016
Akainzo:

My guy, send me a PM or reply my email.

I have done that Sir.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by EastanPower(m): 12:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
semochendo1:

God bless you.

These are challenges in this life but some silly people see everything as joke and fun.

You have said it all.

Imagine someone talking about her birthday on a thread like this one!

Smh.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Nobody: 12:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
Amelian:
Thats why i do tell my friends, everyone needs a lawyer either as friends or as your own paid personal lawyer that will help in times of crisis like this.
Lets assume u had the backing or services of a lawyer , immediately yur landlord hinted that five days notice, u quickly consult yur lawyer. And your lawyer will serve him a notice of breach of agreement in landlord /tenants agreement. As soon as yur landlord is served , the nuts in. His brain will be screwed back in the right hinges and its either he backs off or he later comes back with 6months notice.
You as a tenant have a right to sue and arrest your landlord for this injustice.. Talk to a lawyer, he will handle it effectively.

Then the jazz aspect forget.. If u r deep in prayers, no weapon fashioned against u and yur family shall prosper.. Every other power is counterfeit when God is on yur case.. So simply be prayerful with yur wife.
Best of luck
u never jam landlord wey dey use confirmed jazz, na u go run commot from d compound by urself

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by EastanPower(m): 12:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
applemark:
[s]BULLSHIT STORY! you said it all, move this to the FrontPage! i stopped believing your cock$hit story from the time you said your landlord who just came back from UK sweating over 60k which is is less than £150, tot fashola laid some guidelines on housing issues. if you are really in distress you would not be online /NL wasting time and money to buy data to upload this cock and bull, you will be straight to the police or your local government to complain about this injustice. Abeg Go park well and i meant that in literary terms... kmt!

my own house is in Ikorodu, my tenant didn't pay for one year, took her to court, before the eviction notice, ran off one year rent gone, agent do do jack$hit, I don't pity tenant! when its not their house they lord-it.. when will i recoup my investment if tenant keep running of with my rent! God will judge all bad tenants![/s]
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 12:27pm On Mar 17, 2016
ifenes:

What is your mobile number please? I will send you 50,000 ok?

Here is my number sir, 08089967066. I will be expecting your call sir. Only God can reward you.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by MadCow1: 12:27pm On Mar 17, 2016
iliyande:

Hi, its been long time.

you did not reply my mail. cheers

Hi Ilya..

I have not even checked my mail since I returned.

Okay.. I will have a look and respond to you.

Hope you are doing good bro?

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by Teespice(f): 12:28pm On Mar 17, 2016
jayriginal:

My dear, refrain from giving advice unless you know exactly what you are doing.

OP is a tenant at will. Secondly I'm pretty sure there was no tenancy agreement.

I'm giving you hints.

I clearly understand your sentiments and I am well aware what a tenant at will entails.

I gave my advice based on the facts given. nothing inferred, added or subtracted.

it is left for the op to tell whether there was any agreement as to the occupation of the premises.

cheers.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by dominique(f): 12:29pm On Mar 17, 2016
Panzerfaust:
Judgıng by your comment, ım now sure that Common Sense and Age are not dırectly related.
Grow up. (Mentally, not physıcally)

Just ignore him, he's nothing buy a hungry lying scammer. He creates multiple accounts to sell fake data. He has probably not eaten today, that's why he's posting nonsense

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by 100Cents: 12:32pm On Mar 17, 2016
sodconfirm:

Thank you very much for the suggestion and encouragement, But he came with his wife to cut the light and build the bricks, Infact the wife is more ruthless than he is. I will looking at getting help to move my family out and possibly initiate a legal action to fight for my right.

Once you move out, dont fight. He is not owing you. You are not owing him. Take that from me.

I have left N50,000 for a misbahving landlord before. I was not given any quit notice but i just left on my own for some reasons.

The story one year later, nobody believed it.

Allow God to fight for you.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by iliyande(m): 12:33pm On Mar 17, 2016
MadCow1:

Hi Ilya..

I have not even checked my mail since I returned.

Okay.. I will have a look and respond to you.

Hope you are doing good bro?

I am cool sir.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by sodconfirm: 12:34pm On Mar 17, 2016
Akainzo:

Bros, at 84,000 per year.
10% for Agreement & Commission is 16,800 and not 50,000.00 (even 20% will still be 33,600.

Truck will be another 10K

Your calculations seem off. Don't let people start to think you want to scam. Be as close to the truth and Open as possible.

Sir, I can never do as you think. Gone are the days when they accept 10%. Infact some are at N4,000 for each room. Including N10,000 Damages. Some even stand at 30,000 each for agreement and commission amount to N60,000, I will have to look for the one of N3,500 per room which is N7,000, I will also look for or bargain for 50k for agreement and commission, of course i will negotiate damages out of it. I will never use this dilemma to make money. You can create an account where donations can go to and when i get a place you can appoint some nairalanders to follow me there for payment. I greatly appreciate your help and concerns. It takes a lot to want to help others.

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by fireforfire: 12:36pm On Mar 17, 2016
gmacnoms:
and what do u intend doing with d likes

he wants to buy pop corn wit d likes

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Throw Me Out! Please Help! by rotimi2016: 12:36pm On Mar 17, 2016
God bless Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Builds 3 Bedroom Bungalow For Widow In Anambra / Plan Of My 6 Flat, 2 Bedroom Each. What Do U Think / How Much Will It Cost Me To Develop This Building Plan To Roofing (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.