Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

2busy's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 2busy's Profile / 2busy's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 16 pages)

Crime / Re: Blasphemy: Umar Farouq, 13-Year-Old Boy Jailed For 10 Years In Kano by 2busy: 2:23pm On Aug 17, 2020
Death Sentence For Blasphemy At Kano: A beautiful Perspective by O. G. Chukkol. Put sentiment aside and read through.

"I have been following arguments on social media for the past two days about the death sentence passed on one Yahaya Aminu Sheriff for blasphemy (insulting prophet Mohammed PBH) at Kano.

Let me make few observations here:

1. There is actually a Shariah Penal Code law in Kano state

2. The said Shariah Penal Code makes provision for offences and punishments recognized in Islam

3. The Shariah Penal Code Law prohibits blasphemy and a violator risks death sentence. See section section 382 thereof.

4. The Shariah Penal Code Law of Kano applies to Muslims only

5. The Shariah Penal Code Law of Kano does not apply to non Muslims. So a Christian or any other non Muslim cannot be prosecuted under the law except if he consents to it

6. Sheriff was tried and convicted under the Shariah Penal Code Law because he was a Muslim.

7. Sheriff has the right to appeal to a higher court for his conviction to be reviewed or set aside if the trial court was wrong.

8. Governor of Kano State has the final say on Sheriff's conviction. He can pardon Sheriff and allow him go free or change the punishment or sign death warrant for Sheriff to be executed/killed as ordered by court

9. A non Muslim who insults prophet Mohammed or commits any other form of blasphemy can at best be tried under the general Penal Code law for defamation or breach of public peace or any other related offence depending on exactly what the person says

In view of the foregoing, I will completely refrain from commenting on the appropriateness of death sentence for blasphemy because it is an Islamic injunction entrenched in a written law. Besides, I may not even be objective about it because I am not a Muslim, but a Christian. I will only end up pouring my sentiment in the guise of criticism. To me, is not even logical to use my religion to condemn another religion.

I submit further, for the purpose of emphasis, that the offence of blasphemy applies to Muslims only and they are in support of it. They are comfortable with it because their religion provides for it. I cannot take panadol for somebody's headache

Had it been the offence applies to non Muslims also, I would have immediately condemned it for being unconstitutional.

It should be noted that the Shariah Penal Code was enacted pursuant to section 38 of the constitution which provides for right to freedom of religion and sections 4 and 6 of the constitution which gives states power to make laws and also establish courts for themselves and also section 36(12) which provides that person can be convicted for an offence only if the said offence is defined in a written law with sanctions attached.

That is to say, the Supreme Law of the land has given them backing. They can practice their religion provided that a non Muslim shall not be affected.

Let me drop my pen here. Everything I put down here is strictly my opinion and I may be wrong.

Greetings Ladies and gentlemen"
Education / Re: NSE Rewards 2020 Best JAMB Engineering Candidates With N16m (Photos) by 2busy: 1:59pm On Jul 01, 2020
Cc Lalasticlala
Seun
This is the kind of News we want in front page.
Reward for academic excellence that will encourage technological advancement and economic growth, not those rewarding nudity in the name of reality shows.

Enough of rewarding academic excellence with 100k laptop.

Thanks to Nigerian Society of Engineers

BluntNigerian:
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE PAYS

Agnes and others get 16 Million Naira prize from the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE).

The overall best JAMB student, Egoagwuagwu Agnes Maduafokwa (365) and other 15 high-scoring candidates that want to study Engineering (16 candidates in all) got 1 million naira each from the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) on Tuesday the 30th of June, 2020.

This was made possible by the President of the NSE, Engr. Babagana Mohammed FNSE during the unveiling of the 2020 UTME BEST ENGINEERING CANDIDATES, in Lagos State.

Kudos to the Nigerian Society of Engineers..
Congratulations to the Bright Students.

1 Like

Education / Re: NSE Rewards 2020 Best JAMB Engineering Candidates With N16m (Photos) by 2busy: 1:57pm On Jul 01, 2020
This is the kind of News we want in front page.
Reward for academic excellence that will encourage technological advancement and economic growth, not those rewarding nudity in the name of reality shows.

Enough of rewarding academic excellence with 100k laptop.

BluntNigerian:
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE PAYS

Agnes and others get 16 Million Naira prize from the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE).

The overall best JAMB student, Egoagwuagwu Agnes Maduafokwa (365) and other 15 high-scoring candidates that want to study Engineering (16 candidates in all) got 1 million naira each from the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) on Tuesday the 30th of June, 2020.

This was made possible by the President of the NSE, Engr. Babagana Mohammed FNSE during the unveiling of the 2020 UTME BEST ENGINEERING CANDIDATES, in Lagos State.

Kudos to the Nigerian Society of Engineers..
Congratulations to the Bright Students.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Islam for Muslims / Re: Coronavirus: Islamic Way Of Preventing The Spread Of The Virus by 2busy: 7:45am On Feb 28, 2020
Lukgaf:

Meanwhile, Islam has given health recommendations through following the Prophet’s Sunnah, peace be upon him.

The Prophet(peace be unto him) said in the Hadith of Osama bin Zaid that “If you get wind of the outbreak of plague in a land, do not enter it; and if it breaks out in a land in which you are, do not leave it." (Al Bukhari & Muslim)

May Allah protect us and our families from Coronavirus and other related infectious and deadly viruses and diseases (Ameen).

Question
Is there any du‘aa’, from the Qur’an or Sunnah, for protection against diseases and epidemics such as the swine flu?

Answer

Praise be to Allah.

Firstly:

There are many saheeh (sound) hadiths which urge the Muslim to recite du‘aa’s and adhkaar for protection from harms and ills, the general meaning of which includes protection from being stricken by various diseases and epidemics. These du‘aa’s include the following:

It was narrated that ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) say:

“Whoever says ‘Bismillah illadhi la yadurru ma‘a ismihi shay’un fi’l-ard wa la fi’l-sama’ wa huwa al-samee‘ ul-‘aleem (In the name of Allah with Whose name nothing can harm on earth or in heaven, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing)’, three times, will not be stricken with a sudden affliction until morning comes, and whoever says them when morning comes will not be stricken with a sudden affliction until evening comes.”

Narrated by Abu Dawood (5088). Also narrated by at-Tirmidhi, who classed it as saheeh, as follows:

“There is no one who says in the morning of every day and the evening of every night ‘Bismillah illadhi la yadurru ma‘a ismihi shay’un fi’l-ard wa la fi’l-sama’ wa huwa al-samee‘ ul-‘aleem (In the name of Allah with Whose name nothing can harm on earth or in heaven, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing)’, three times but nothing will harm him.”

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: A man came to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) and said: O Messenger of Allah, I was stung by a scorpion last night. He said: “If you had said, when evening came, ‘A’oodhu bi kalimaat Allah at-taammaaati min sharri ma khalaq (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah from the evil of that which He has created)’, it would not have harmed you.”

Narrated by Muslim (2709).

It was narrated that ‘Abdullah ibn Khubayb (may Allah be pleased with him) said: We went out on a rainy and very dark night, looking for the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) to lead us in prayer. We found him and he said: “Did you pray?” But I did not say anything. He said: “Say,” but I did not say anything. Then he said: “Say,” but I did not say anything. Then he said: “Say,” and I said: What should I say, O Messenger of Allah? He said: “Say: Qul huwa Allaahu Ahad and al-Mu’awwidhatayn, in the evening and in the morning, three times, and they will suffice you against all things.”

Narrated by at-Tirmidhi (3575) and Abu Dawood (5082).

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

One of the means of attaining security, well-being, peace of mind and safety from all ills is to seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah from the evil of that which He has created, three times every morning and evening, by saying: “A‘oodhu bi kalimaat Allaah at-taammaati min sharri ma khalaq (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allah from the evil of that which He has created).” There are hadiths which indicate that this is one of the means of attaining well-being. Similarly, one may say “Bismillah illadhi la yadurru ma‘a ismihi shay’un fi’l-ard wa la fi’l-sama’ wa huwa al-samee‘ ul-‘aleem (In the name of Allah with Whose name nothing can harm on earth or in heaven, and He is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing)’, three times every morning and evening, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) stated that whoever says it three times in the morning, nothing will harm him until evening comes, and whoever says it three times in the evening, nothing will harm him until morning comes.

All of these adhkaar and prayers seeking refuge with Allah, that come from the Qur’an and Sunnah, are among the means of attaining protection, safety and security from all ills.

Every believing man and woman should recite them at the appropriate times, and do so regularly, with certainty, trusting in their Lord, may He be glorified and exalted, Who is in control of all things, Who has knowledge of all things, Who is able to do all things; there is no god but He and no lord except He; in His hand is the control of all things, the power to withhold, cause harm and bring benefit, and He is the Sovereign of all things, may He be glorified and exalted.

Fataawa ash-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (3/454, 455).

‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) never failed to say these supplications when evening came and when morning came: “Allahumma inni as’aluka al-‘aafiyata fi’d-dunya wa’l-aakhirah. Allahumma inni as’aluka al-‘afwa wa’l-‘aafiyata fi deeni wa dunyaaya wa ahli wa maali. Allahumma astur ‘awraati wa aamin raw‘aati. Allahumm ihfazni min bayni yadayya wa min khalfi wa ‘an yameeni wa ‘an shimaali, wa min fawqi, wa a‘oodhu bi ‘azamatika an ughtaala min tahti (O Allah, I ask You for well-being in this world and in the Hereafter. O Allah, I ask You for pardon and well-being in my faith, my worldly affairs, my family and my wealth. O Allah, conceal my faults and protect me from that which causes me to worry. O Allah, protect me from before me and from behind me, from my right and from my left, and from above me, and I seek refuge in Your greatness lest I be destroyed from beneath me).”

Narrated by Abu Dawood (5074) and Ibn Maajah (3871). Classed as saheeh by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Shaykh Abu’l-Hasan al-Mubaarakfoori (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“O Allah, I ask You for well-being” means: Safety from anything that could undermine my faith and from worldly hardships. It was also said that what is meant is safety from sicknesses and calamities; or not being tested by them, and being granted patience in bearing them and acceptance of the divine decree. The word ‘aafiyah (well-being) refers to when Allah preserves a person and protects him from that which is disliked, and grants him well-being and protection from troubles and calamities.

“O Allah, I ask You for pardon” means: I ask You to erase my sins and overlook them.

“and well-being” means: being free from faults.

“in my faith and my worldly affairs” means” and everything that isconnected to them.

Mirqaat al-Mafaateeh Sharh Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh (8/139).

It was narrated that ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said: One of the du‘aa’s of the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was: “Allahumma inni a‘oodhu bika min zawaali ni‘amatika wa tahawwul ‘aafiyatika wa fujaa’ati niqmatika wa jamee‘i sakhatika (O Allah, I seek refuge with You from the withdrawing of Your blessing, and the loss of the well-being that You granted me, and the sudden onset of Your wrath, and anything that may lead to Your displeasure).”

Narrated by Muslim (2739).

An-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said: [The word translated here as] loss refers to a change in something and disconnection from something. It is as if he was asking for continual well-being, which is protection from pain and sickness.

Fayd al-Qadeer (2/140).

Al-‘Azeemabaadi (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

“the loss of the well-being that You granted me” refers to health being replaced with sickness, and independence of means being replaced with poverty.

‘Awn al-Ma‘bood Sharh Sunan Abi Dawood (4/283).

It was narrated from Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) used to say: “Allahumma inni a ‘oodhu bika min al-barasi wa’l-junooni wa’l-judhaami wa min sayyi’ il-asqaam (O Allah, I seek refuge with you from leprosy, and from insanity, and from paralysis, and from evil diseases).”

Narrated by Ahmad (12592), Abu Dawood (1554) and an-Nasaa’i; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.

At-Teebi said: The reason why he did not seek refuge with Allah from sicknesses in general terms is that some sicknesses may be easy to bear but bring a great deal of reward if one bears them with patience and they are not chronic, such as fevers, headaches and inflammations of the eye. Rather the hadith is seeking refuge with Allah from chronic sickness, which can lead a person into a situation where a close friend will flee from him and he will not have many people around him to comfort him and take care of him, and – moreover – may carry a great deal of stigma.

Narrated by al-‘Azeemabaadi in ‘Awn al-Ma‘bood.

And Allah knows best.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/139554/duaas-and-adhkaar-for-protection-against-diseases-and-epidemics

14 Likes 1 Share

Health / Lagos Govt Calls For Calm As It Records First Case Of Lassa Fever by 2busy: 5:51pm On Feb 19, 2020
Lagos govt calls for calm as it records first case of Lassa fever

Prof. Akin Abayomi, the Commissioner for Health in Lagos, advised residents to avoid contacts with rats, as he confirmed the first case of Lassa fever in the state.

Lagos Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, has called on the state residents to be calm and not panic, as the state government recorded a case of the Lassa Hemorrhagic fever which has been reported to be raging in over 19 states in the country.
In a statement made available to the public on Wednesday, February 19, 2020, Abayomi confirmed that a Lassa fever patient is currently in isolation at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).

While noting that the situation is under control, the commissioner said the Lagos government, in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), is doing everything possible to control the spread of the disease in the state.

He said, “The Ministry of Health through Epidemiology, Biosecurity and Global Health Directorate is currently carrying out ‘contact tracing’ to determine those who may have been infected in line with international standards while we beef up our other surveillance strategies.”

Abayomi however stressed the need for members of the public to ensure and maintain adequate personal hygiene and environmental sanitation at all times, which he explained is part of the prevention and control measures against the spread of the disease in the state.

Abayomi said the prevention and control of the disease remained a shared responsibility of all citizens, urging residents to store house-hold refuse in sanitary refuse bags or dust bins with tight-fitting covers to avoid infestation by rats and rodents; dispose refuse properly at designated dump sites and not into the drainage system and store food items in rodent-proof containers.

“Members of the public are further advised to avoid contact with rats, to always cover their food and water properly, cook all their food thoroughly, as well as block all holes in the septic tanks and holes through which rats can enter the house and clear rat hideouts within the premises.

“Isolation wards have been prepared to manage suspected and confirmed cases, drugs and other materials have also been prepositioned at designated facilities while health workers have been placed on red alert and community sensitisation activities intensified,” Abayomi added.

The Commissioner also advised health workers, both in the public and private hospitals in the state, to ensure that they observe universal safety precautions and comply with infection prevention and control measures when dealing with patients, stressing that appropriate personal protective equipment like hand gloves, face-masks, goggles and overalls must be worn when attending to cases.

He said, “Hands must be washed often with soap and running water or application of hand sanitizers after each contact with patients or contaminated materials and instruments must be autoclaved. Also, hospital mattresses must be covered with plastic sheets to prevent contamination.”

Abayomi further stated that a case of Lassa Fever should be suspected in any person with persistent high fever not responding to standard treatment for malaria and typhoid fever or bleeding from the body surface.

According to the NCDC, the death toll from Lassa fever in Nigeria has risen to 70 as confirmed cases shot up to 1,708.

Source: https://www.pulse.ng/news/local/lassa-fever-lagos-govt-calls-for-calm-after-first-case-of-disease/sllgqje?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-2020-02-19&__sta=vhg.hhksexqsjeqnw%7CVTTI&__stm_medium=email&__stm_source=smartech[url][/url]

Family / Re: My Wife Is Slowly Distancing Herself From Me..... by 2busy: 9:49am On Sep 15, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
There's nothing anyone on Nairalander could help you with. You were actually not ready for marriage before you delved into it. If you've ever attended marriage seminars/relationship talk shows, you would have known that words are very powerful. No matter the provocation, there are things you don't utter. People forgive, but those words live with them. Most times, not consciously 'cause even subconscious keeps to information. There are certain "truth" you don't say if it's going to cause emotional damages even if it's the truth. I laugh when people blab things to hurt people, then tag it "the truth". You're simply being insensitive. It' s not every truth you should say in the open. Maturity has taught me to keep quiet when provoked.

Your wife may have forgiven, but those words can never be erased even though she desires to.

Excellent
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 2busy: 11:16am On Jun 17, 2018
Ljay17:

You may address it to the particular Province you are applying to for Nomination. Example - Ontario Immigrant Nominee Programme (OINP), Ontario Canada. That’s exactly how I addressed mine and my application was successful. Cheers.

Thanks, appreciate your timely response
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 2busy: 10:10am On Jun 17, 2018
Hello house
I'm about to obtain reference letter from my company, for provincial nominee PNP, but the challenge is I do not know the IRCC address to address the letter.
Can someone help me out here. ?

I have tried Google o, most of the results are province specific not a general IRCC address .
Please help
Travel / Re: Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 by 2busy: 5:36pm On Jun 15, 2018
Ronards:
Hhhmmmm........ I don't even know how to start.

I give all glory to the almighty God, there surely is a God in heaven.

Towards the end of 2016, I looked at my kids n suddenly became scared for their future in this country. Spoke with my hubby n his reply was, "ki lawa fese bayi? Let's just be prayerful ". Hhhmmmm....... I don't think this man understands what I'm talking about. I lost hope for this country (sorry to say). We started praying " God, please have mercy on my family n do that which only u can do".

December 2016, I suddenly got a call from a family friend who I haven't spoken with for almost five years. He's a Canadian citizens based in Manitoba. He said n I quote
" se Nigeria to wa yen oti su e ni?"
I replied
"haaaa, oti su mi ooo but what can I do? "
Then he asked if I won't mind Canada n that was it ooooo
(really at that point, all I wanted was to leave this s******e of a country)

That same December, I applied for international passport. I didn't get it until January 2017

April 2017, I wrote ielts
LRWS: 7.5,7.5,6.5,7.5
Too low for direct Express Entry
Told me I have to go through PNP
What did I know? I was like anyhow, kin sa ti dey Canada.

So the journey to PNP started. Applied for Wes ECA n my transcript from OOU In May. OOU showed me pepper oooo didn't get transcript until August. To verify again took another one month.
Finally I got ECA n CxC evaluation in October 2017

Fast forward February 2018 after ITA we started looking for POF. Chai..... we suffer small ooooo I contemplated declining several times but my family friend was like if you decline, u are on ur own ooooo, he'll just take his hands of my application
Kamari!!! The struggle continued. Finally God helped us n we were able to sell off our landed property which led to bulk transfer of cash into our account.

Now na LOE we started to google how to write Loe n that was how I came across this wonderful thread with amazing people n large hearts (God bless u all) I copied my LOE from this thread can't remember the part n the name of the good person that posted it but it was in a tabular form. We prayed n fasted before we finally submitted our application im May 2018.

So house, here it is

My timeline

SINP Application : Jan 1 2018
SINP Nomination : Feb 6
ITA : Feb 7
AOR : May 7
MEDP : May 16
IP1 : May 17
IP2 : May 27
PPR : June 5

No ADRs,
No Travel history,
Family of four.

The Grace of God is sufficient for us.
Information is key.
It was God all the way.

For everyone waiting, God will perfect it all n ur testimonies are sure. God bless u all.

Congratulations ma'am
Please I want to find out to which address did you address your reference letter?

Your response will be appreciated.
Health / Re: Tips To Curing Ulcers And Living Healthy by 2busy: 6:47pm On May 20, 2018
DassaM:

Noon. But I was told it's been used to feed rabbit. You can find it around you.

You are right
The leaves in the first picture look exactly like what we used in feeding rabbits in those days.
Education / Re: Apply For 2018/2019 PTDF PHD And Msc Overseas Scholarsip At The United Kingdom by 2busy: 12:14pm On Apr 23, 2018
Hi guys
It seems no age limit for MSc this year.
I have not read in any of the publication where those above the age of 35 should not apply.

Anyone with info on age limit for the Msc?

1 Like

Travel / Re: Help With Direction From Agege To Ajah, Lagos State by 2busy: 10:00am On Apr 07, 2018
martins18:
Help with direction from agege to ajah, lagos state

You didn't tell us if you are going to drive or go by commercial vehicle, and you didn't specify your current location in Agege.

By commercial bus.
There are commercial buses from Agege and iyanaipaja straight to Ajah .

If you are going to drive
Google map is your friend.
Travel / Re: Why Do So Many Skilled Immigrants Complain That They Do Not Get Jobs In Canada? by 2busy: 12:37pm On Jan 02, 2018
Dreamwaker:
Nice one,this will not only work in Canada but in most countries. This is FP educational stuff.

Sure
Travel / Why Do So Many Skilled Immigrants Complain That They Do Not Get Jobs In Canada? by 2busy: 9:46pm On Dec 31, 2017
Connel Valentine, lives in Canada (2015-present)
Updated Nov 28

I recently attended Gateway Conference 2017 in Markham, Ontario. It was a free conference for newcomers to Canada who were struggling to find work, giving them an opportunity to express their concerns, ask questions, and network with CEOs and other Canadian professionals.

I got to see first hand the complaints of skilled immigrants who do not get jobs in Canada, and this is what I discovered.

#1 Misunderstanding what Canadian Experience means

Almost everyone was talking about Canadian experience. They even had a panel discussion about it.

One woman came up to the mic and was angry at the Canadian system. You could hear the frustration in her voice - “How can I get Canadian Experience if I don’t have a job? I have been looking for a job for 8 YEARS!”

After her 10 minute rant about Canadian experience, I asked random people “Would you hire that person?” They all replied “No way!”

A lot of people think that Canadian experience is about working in Canada. It is not! This is my personal definition of Canadian experience:

A hiring manager’s perception of your soft skills and knowledge of Canadian work culture.

One peculiar observation: A lot of people were saying they were getting calls for interviews, but it never converted to a job.

Think about it, if you got called for a job interview, the hiring manager already knows you have not worked in Canada from your resume. Why would he or she call you for the interview if this was a problem?

What most likely happened was that during the interview, the candidate failed to demonstrate the soft skills that the job needed. Either communication skills were falling short, or they downplayed their accomplishments when asked to talk about professional experience (using too much "we" instead of "I"wink

One recruiter told me that some people she interviews don’t even make eye contact when they speak.

In the case of the woman above, it’s not Canadian experience that was her issue, but her attitude. If she reveals even a sliver of that attitude during an interview, she will never get hired. Canadian’s hire problem solvers, not complainers.

At this stage in the interview, Canadians will politely and indirectly turn you down (maybe even fear a discriminatory lawsuit) and they default to “You don't have Canadian experience” or “You are overqualified”, when what they really mean is “Your English is not up to the mark” or “You have the wrong attitude for my team” or “Based on your stories it doesn't sound like you accomplished a lot”.

I was in a panel discussion myself talking about my experience as a newcomer. A gentleman at the back of the room told me that whenever he goes into an interview, he is always told that he is “overqualified”.

I gave him advice on how to tackle an “overqualified” problem, but when he spoke to me I knew straight away what his problem was, but I felt uncomfortable to tell him in front of the whole room.

Unfortunately, he did not privately speak to me after the talk, else I would have told him “Canadian recruiters are telling you you’re overqualified because they are hesitant to tell you the real reason - it’s your English”. His English fell way below the mark for Canadian standards.

I’m not saying this is the fault of the candidate. This behavior stems from the culture of the country they came from. Maybe English is not their first language. Maybe in their culture highlighting personal accomplishments is considered selfish and credit must always be shared with the manager and the team. Maybe it’s in their culture to remain silent and not make eye contact out of respect.

The bottom line is, you need to understand how Canadians think and what hiring managers and recruiters expectations are to get past the Canadian experience problem.

Unless you do the research or ask the right people who aren't afraid to give you an honest answer who aren't afraid to give you an honest answer and most importantly upgrade your English language skills, skilled immigrants will continue to complain about not getting jobs.

2 Not taking an active approach to your job search

This is how I personally had success in Canada, securing three job offers in two weeks.

If you just machine gun your generic resume to online jobs and rely on technology to do the rest you will be job searching for a long time.

Machines don't hire you. Humans do. So you have to demonstrate to the hiring manager that you are willing to work hard and think outside the box.

This is why I customize my resume and personalize my cover letter for every job application, and created my own personal website (connelvalentineresume.com) to stand out.

I used the same tactics when I applied for a managers job within my company and I got the job again, so I'm confident it works.

As long as you're aware of the process, the expectations of the hiring manager and skills in the resume and cover letter writing, you can increase the chances of landing that job tenfold.

3 Not using publically available services

If it's free it's probably not worth it, right? Not in Canada! If you want to see the Canadian tax dollars at work, make use of the public services that are available to you.

New immigrants do not use these services either because they are too proud or they do not feel it's worth it.

From this conference that I attended, where companies that host these services were present, you will see the quality in what they provide.

They may not get you the perfect job, but will fit you into a well-established company and then it's up to you to work your way up.

I have personally hired and trust candidates from Npower Canada, which have locations in Toronto, York, and Peel region.

My cousin was struggling to find a job in finance, till she eventually gave up on the DIY approach, and used Costi. They placed her in a logistics company doing account receivables where she got a full-time employee after proving her worth and working hard.

10 months into the job, the company, unfortunately, filed for bankruptcy. She updated her resume and LinkedIn profile with her new found Canadian experience and her phone started to ring off the hook! She told me she started rejecting recruiters. She now works full time with another logistics company with a higher pay.

A small dash of Canadian experience was all she needed to go from insufficient to in demand!

This conference that I attended is an example of what Canada is prepared to do for its new immigrants - for FREE! It was held at Hilton hotel, led by a Canadian TV host, attended by the mayor of Markham and CEOs of companies in the York region. And don't forget the catered buffet!

Canada takes it’s free services very seriously.

4 Not Canadianizing your resume

Someone at the conference mentioned that their resume was 6 pages long!

People mistakenly believe they should throw all their experiences up on a word document and mail blast it to every Canadian job board.

It's guaranteed failure.

People should seek professional help and learn the methodology of Canadianizing your resume to suit the manager's needs. A big part of this is knowing how to market your job experience in a way that convinces a Canadian hiring manager and recruiter that you are the best person for the job.

One of my favorite tools for doing a quality check on the resume is Jobscan. This tool allows you to compare your uploaded resume to the copy-pasted job description side by side and score it for compliance.

5 Not using bridging services

During one of the breaks at the conference, I walked up to table where three strangers were sat. I introduced myself and they turned out to be a nurse, a physician, and a dentist.

They were all already enrolled in a bridging program at York University, one of the most popular hosts of bridging programs in Ontario.

But in most cases, I find that a lot of people don't utilize these services. I hear them say “I have over twenty years of experience, why should I go back to learning something I have been doing ?”

Look, I understand it's not easy to feel like you're going back to paying your dues in your career.

It takes courage to leave your family and friends behind to move to a new country in hopes of a better life.

You need to tap into that same courage to choose to take a step back in your career too.

When I applied for my first job in Canada as a newcomer, I applied for a position that was two levels below the job I had in Dubai. But because I took an active approach to it, that job application revealed a hidden job that was one level higher and unadvertised, that the recruiter thought I was better suited for.

And two years later, after working my butt off on that job even though it was a lower position from before, and using the smarts and the experience and the work ethics I developed from my 12-year career prior to landing in Canada, I got a promotion back to a manager's position.

If you have the humility to learn and the courage to take a few steps back in your career and the vision and strive to pick up where you left off, you will eventually start to see hopes become reality.

An expert I follow say that it may take anywhere from 6–12 years on average for a Canadian newcomer to get back the quality of life they left behind. I'm in year 3.

Don't let pride delay the process.

To sum up...

Canada welcomes diversity in the workplace. That is what the Gateway 2017 conference was all about.

But one area where diversity is not accepted, and this is my personal insight, is the norms of business conduct.

Your diversity will be accepted from your fresh perspective, unique experiences and innovative ideas that you bring from your home country.

But when you communicate to others, when you manage your teams, when you deliver presentations, when you attend meetings, when you make a sales pitch, when you care for patients, when you ask for a raise, how you work with your boss, how you provide and receive feedback, and every other aspect of business conduct you can think of, it's done one way - the Canadian way.

Take the 5 points stated above as a guideline and learn about how Canadian workplace culture is different from your home country through mentors and professionals. The guidance they provide will get you back into the workforce in no time.

Source :

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-skilled-immigrants-complain-that-they-do-not-get-jobs-in-Canada

8 Likes 3 Shares

Jobs/Vacancies / Re: Job Vacancies At Bwoffshore by 2busy: 11:08pm On Nov 08, 2017
Job Vacancies at BWOffshore
Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Position: Deputy Project Manager
Reports to: According to Organisation chart
Responsibility and authority
Key tasks and responsibilities
 Responsible for the management of a complete project through all project execution or modification phases, from concept development, tender, FEED, engineering, construction and commissioning
 Ensure the delivered Unit meets high uptime, low maintenance and reliable long term operational performance requirements
 Responsible for preparation of project budget, schedule, and other technical inputs into the FPSO bid & contract (or major upgrade)
 Assure all objectives are achieved and that project complies with agreed contract requirements, specifications, safety standards, regulatory requirements and company procedures
 Lead and guide members of the project team by setting goals, clarifying direction, authorising roles and assigning tasks along a time plan for all those on the project team
 Responsible for planning, resourcing, managing and motivating the project organisation throughout the project
 Maximize output by coordinating, planning and ensuring the logical sequence and timely delivery of the Project within agreed budget and schedule
 Responsible for stakeholder management, including clients, management, partners, vendors, yards and sub-contractors for project clarifications
 Ensure highest level of HSE performance is attained during all project phases
 Lead and supervise key project management activities including reporting, project cost and schedule control, invoicing, risk management, etc.

Qualification requirements:

http://nigerianoilandgasforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=546
Food / Re: Tips On How To Identify Plastic Rice by 2busy: 4:36pm On Nov 25, 2016
ON THE PURPORTED PLASTIC RICE*. DR ABDULLAHI BALA ISA (PhD Analytical Chemistry) wrote.:
The net is awash with 'alarm on Plastic Rice' including providing 'hoax websites' for verification..... I'm not against 'alarms', but let's be more thoughtful.

'Personal checks' are the work of 'efficient regulatory agencies' in the said sector..... Rice is a polysaccharide(a type of Carbohydrate), while Plastic are polymers. They will act differently when subject to either 'direct heat' or 'boiling in liquid (Cooking).

While rice will absorbs liquid while cooking and soften and become edible, the other will not and will not be edible. They also act differently when subjected to 'direct heat' with 'plastics' simply 'melting' at a very low temperature and turn to a 'viscous like liquid';

The rice on the other hand(on direct heat) will absorbs the heat for a while before darkening and crumbles which we generally call 'burnt rice'. In whatever proportion you mix them as the essay suggest, will reveal different characteristics.

Why will a manufacturer( whose primary interest is profit) mix the two distinct items when it is dis advantageous to him; will the plastic added increase or decreases the overall weight of the product for export(plastics are generally of much lighter weights when compared to 'Carbohydrate' food products like rice)?

What about the stringent GMP law that exist in the Country which will send the manufacturer easily to jail? Isn't it cheaper to cultivate rice in a natural swampy plains than manufacture 'synthetic polymer fibres', if so, why will an entrepreneur add a costlier item to a cheaper commodity; to enhance what?

Will the 'mix product' provide higher profit than unadulterated one (No, please confirm)? They are completely different items that mixing them is not comprehensible.... What you see in the markets are the main ingredients for producing various range and types of plastics, PP(Polypropylene), PE (Polyethylene), PVC(Polyvinylchloride), PET (Polyethyleneterapythalate) etc.

The ingredients 'monomers' are in granules (rice like shape of various sizes) for easier application. Plastic industries are Small and Medium Scale Cottage industries in India, China, Korea etc, we look forward to Federal Government keying in and training quite a number of young entrepreneurs to source a living in this direction and also generate additional National Income.

Nigeria is blessed with 'all year round moist' and 'flood plains' for bumper rice cultivation and also have great potential for 'Plastic Industries' due to high population... Sorry, I'm just concern about the rigour of 'carrying out test' on an unnecessary imported cash crop which we can produce in abundance here.

It is excusable to import 'polymer granules' for manufacturing of Nigerian made plastics, slippers, containers, bottles than the 'Asian climate rice' the essayist is alarming us on... the weblinks are mostly 'hoax' stuff #copied.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Foreign Affairs / Saudi Arabia Executes Prince For Murder by 2busy: 9:18pm On Oct 18, 2016
A prince from the Saudi royal family was executed on Tuesday for murdering a man during a brawl in the capital Riyadh, the Interior Ministry announced.

The execution of Prince Turki Saud-al-Kabir is an extremely rare case of a member of the conservative kingdom’s ruling family being put to death.

The Interior Ministry stated that “in announcing this, we want to affirm to all that the Kingdom’s government is determined to establish security.

“It will bring about justice and implement God’s law against all those who attack the innocent.”

Meanwhile, local media reported that the killing for which the prince was executed took place in 2012.

The media indicated that Prince Turki’s death sentence was upheld by the Appeal Court and the High Court.

Another royal prince welcomed the news, in the first public reaction from a member of the ruling family.

Prince Khaled Al Saud said “this is God’s law, and the way of our blessed kingdom. May God have mercy on the killer and his victim.”

A report says the execution brings to 128 the number of persons put to death so far in the country this year.

Saudi Arabia, which applies strict interpretation of Islamic law, is among the top executioners in the world, according to international rights groups.

On Jan. 2, authorities beheaded 47 people, including a prominent Shiite cleric, on terrorism-related charges, leading to furious protests from regional rival Iran and criticisms from rights groups.

Saudi Arabia imposes the death penalty for offences including murder, armed robbery, banditry, rape, drug-trafficking and witchcraft.

NAN
Saudi Arabia executes prince for murder http://punchng.com/saudi-arabia-executes-prince-murder/
Politics / Re: How Do I Reach The President Or A Top Person In His Administration? by 2busy: 10:40am On Oct 02, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
It's personal. I've been trying to reach him to no avail. Please help if you know a way.
Go through Ota, it's easier that way. Very easy
Islam for Muslims / Re: Wealth: 10 Quranic Teaching by 2busy: 12:24pm On Apr 15, 2016
Jazakumllahu khairan for this post

2 Likes 1 Share

Business / Re: Invest And Export Timber ( Kosso Wood ) And Earn Dollar Into Your Account. by 2busy: 2:42pm On Feb 20, 2016
God bless you brother for giving full details of this export business
Trust some other business men in the export business they'll organize a classroom theoretical approach to the whole story, charge you like N130,000 (part of d capital for d potential investor)
In my opinion I feel such people are making more money in the training than the real business.
Thanks once again for sharing this valuable information
Adifranka:
Hello Nigerians,

Are you looking a Lucrative business to invest your money and earn dollars into your bank account?

Are you looking a business to invest your money that guarantee and protects your capital?

Are you looking for a business that guarantee at least 40% profit of your investment?

Have you tried Export of Kosso wood from Lagos Apapa, Tincan port or Onne port portharcourt?

Take advantage of high exchange rate of Naira to dollar and make money.

I'm not here to sell manual, I want to share this knowledge and idea to all Nairalanders. This is what
I do. I am an exporter of Kosso wood.

Stay tuned.

1 Like

Jobs/Vacancies / Re: Vacancy (Computer Instructor-CAD) by 2busy: 12:17pm On Feb 09, 2016
2busy:
VACANCY

Applications are invited from suitably qualified personnel to be employed as CAD Tutor

REQUIREMENTS:

The position requires a holder of diploma or degree in engineering with the below characteristics and skills but not limited to:

Effective computer skills for business applications and discipline specific software applications
Effective communications both verbal and written
Analytical and problem solving skills and ability to think outside the box
Strong organizational skills
Ability to review and interpret drawings,
Very good interpersonal skills
Very dependable and reliable.
Highly experienced in teaching AutoCAD 2D/3D
High academic and moral standards.
Working knowledge of computer applications and methods.
Good command of written and spoken English.
Trainable, diligence, dedication, passionate, and result-oriented.
Diploma or Degree in Engineering, knowledge of technical/ability to read and interpret engineering drawings is added advantage.

BENEFITS:
Excellent remuneration package.
Conducive working environment.
Flexible working hours.
Training.

OTHER REQUIREMENT:

Applicant must be willing to work in Ogbomosho as the academy is located in Ogbomosho.

APPLICATION METHOD:

Interested applicants should send his/her CV to cadworksng@gmail.com using a short cover letter as the body and 'APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A TUTOR' as the subject of the email.

DEADLINE:

Thursday February 25th 2016
Applicant must be willing to work in ogbomosho
Jobs/Vacancies / Vacancy (Computer Instructor-CAD) by 2busy: 8:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
VACANCY

Applications are invited from suitably qualified personnel to be employed as CAD Tutor

REQUIREMENTS:

The position requires a holder of diploma or degree in engineering with the below characteristics and skills but not limited to:

Effective computer skills for business applications and discipline specific software applications
Effective communications both verbal and written
Analytical and problem solving skills and ability to think outside the box
Strong organizational skills
Ability to review and interpret drawings,
Very good interpersonal skills
Very dependable and reliable.
Highly experienced in teaching AutoCAD 2D/3D
High academic and moral standards.
Working knowledge of computer applications and methods.
Good command of written and spoken English.
Trainable, diligence, dedication, passionate, and result-oriented.
Diploma or Degree in Engineering, knowledge of technical/ability to read and interpret engineering drawings is added advantage.

BENEFITS:
Excellent remuneration package.
Conducive working environment.
Flexible working hours.
Training.

OTHER REQUIREMENT:

Applicant must be willing to work in Ogbomosho as the academy is located in Ogbomosho.

APPLICATION METHOD:

Interested applicants should send his/her CV to cadworksng@gmail.com using a short cover letter as the body and 'APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A TUTOR' as the subject of the email.

DEADLINE:

Thursday February 25th 2016
Islam for Muslims / Re: US President Obama Lead Them In Prayer, Should They Pay Back The Salat? by 2busy: 6:35pm On Feb 06, 2016
tbaba1234:
This is false news. He did not lead them in Salat. He made a speech there.
Jazakumllahu khairan my brother, I thought as much and that's why I raised the question here.
Islam for Muslims / Re: US President Obama Lead Them In Prayer, Should They Pay Back The Salat? by 2busy: 5:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
DeathStroke007:
They shouldn't if Obama is a Muslim
And the question is : is he a Muslim?
Islam for Muslims / US President Obama Lead Them In Prayer, Should They Pay Back The Salat? by 2busy: 4:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
Obama Effortlessly Leads Prayers During Mosque Visit
"It's almost as if he's visited a mosque every day of his life."
Feb 3, 2016 31503
Baltimore, MD – On a brisk February day, President Barack Obama walks into a Baltimore area mosque, swiftly removes his shoes and heads for the ablution stations in a suspiciously routine fashion. This is Obama’s first visit to an American mosque during his presidency, and is part of the administration’s push to promote religious tolerance.
Imam Abdul Ali of the Baltimore Islamic Community watched the President as he shuffled right past the mosque reception committee, and straight to the men’s restroom.
“As soon as he entered the mosque, he lowered his gaze, mumbled salam and headed for the restroom,” said Ali as he recalled his first encounter with the President earlier today. “I could hear him fill up a green plastic vessel with water and shut the bathroom stall door… you know, to wash his… presidential… butt.”
“It’s like he’s done this every day of his life.”
Prior to prayer, Muslims are required to ‘purify’ themselves through a series of steps that involve rinsing parts of their bodies.
After the evening Athan (call to prayer), Obama assumed the role of leading the congregation.
Thirty-four-year-old mosque attendee Tariq Ahmed stood bewildered as he observed Obama easily go through motions of the prayer with an impressive recitation of Quranic passages.
“Before he started, he looked back and instructed us to straighten our lines,” said Ahmed. “He said ‘Shoulder to shoulder, pray every salat as if it’s your last. You never know when one of my drones can be off by 1-2 degrees.’”
Obama recited the entire Surah Ya-Sin during the first half of the prayer, with many congregants floored by his accurate pronunciation and inflection.
After prayers, and with miswak in hand, Obama made a few announcements and implored the community to donate generously. He then ushered himself back to a blocked-in presidential limo.
Source: http://islamicanews.com/obama-effortlessly-leads-evening-prayers-during-mosque-visit/
Politics / Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by 2busy: 2:15pm On Jan 10, 2016
duullie88:
Who send dem...dia mate dey sambisa(BH), dem go dey do anyhow

Wen boko haram and armed robbers bin dey wear millitary uniform, y dem no ban am
Dey can't ban hijab its just impossible...so make dem face more realistic problems

God bless u my brother for this analogy
Career / Re: Employees Without An Exit Plan by 2busy: 4:46pm On Jan 08, 2016
Wolfbrother:

you sound like a hater

Truth is bitter

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 16 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.