Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,207 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers (19505 Views)

Primary 4 Pupil Constructs 'Gun' In Borno. Recovered In School. Photos / Boy Severely Brutalized By Principal In Uyo For Not Showing Up In School (Pics) / Student Battered By Principal Of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary -"Graphic Pictures" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by alexlee50: 8:35am On Mar 23, 2016
bright007:
Though it is wrong for the school to have disciplined her to the extent where she had to be hospitalized, but it is obvious the girl is rude. For slapping the prefect, she is daring the school authority

For many of you critizing the school, I want to let you know that learning comes with discipline. Many students nowadays are over pampered by their parents and the first point of discipline becomes the school. It is this same parents that would complain if the girl start to fail in her academics. A girl that won't respect her teachers won't learn from them.
in as much as I agree with you on the importance of discipline in the training of a child, there should always be a line drawn at all times to determine the extent of discipline. Granted the child was rude to the prefect, does the prefect have a right to punish, slap or flog another student? Let's see the school rules/rules regulation including that of the ministry of education to see where the prefect draws his/her power from.on the flogging received by the student from the teachers, they should have had it at the back of their minds that punishment is meant to be a corrective measure not a punitive measure. They should not have taken it so personal that a child has to be hospitalized in the process. They all have children, I am not sure anyone of them would beat their child like that.in administering punishment, the child should know what he/she has done wrong and why he/she would be punished.the essence is to prevent future occurence and to build a better person in the child tomorrow. If the child was rude to thr teachers, invitation of thr parents, suspension or even expulsion at the extreme are measures the school could have employed.now they first assualted the child sexually by asking her to remove her thights then they started flogging her to the extent she is hospitalized, even if she was rude to them is not administering discipline, it is crude, barbaric and wicked and defeats the whole purpose of producing a better child

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by gr8tgg: 8:35am On Mar 23, 2016
omolola15:
The punishment is too much for her but from her story she's a bit rude too.

Am not a teacher though, but some kids are really stubborn to the extent that you will almost loose ur temper,
flogging a rude child moderately is OK, but the pattern they used on her plus slap, removing of tight, taking turns to slap her is what I call child abuse, real child abuse, cos one strong slap can deafen somebody's ears forever. cane is OK but slap my child? oh I can't fight but at least I can go to the principal office and sumasult to show him or her the sample of whom I was, in case of next time. you know warha I mean.

moderate flogging on the buttocks should be allowed but what these people did to Ogechi is too bad. I hope our men in uniform will not sweep this case under the carpet, cos there is different between disciplining a student and abusing a student.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by kaykay010(m): 8:36am On Mar 23, 2016
You are daft... On which constitution does a fellow student be it prefect or not or even teacher to ask a student to carry chairs... It's high time things start charging in this country.. What a nonsense.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 8:36am On Mar 23, 2016
boboLIL:
See the kinda punishment they gave to dis gal....

How dare senior prefect slap a fellow student? Zainab ur own don be oh...

All the teachers suppose to be behind bars.... This is wickedness oh...

Ogechi. U need to beat zainab for me.....beat am wela...
Yes how dare the teachers beat her like that, but you also forget, how dare she refuse to obey instructions when her fellow students obeyed?

That's how you look at a case, holistically, not myopically.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 8:38am On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Sue the government kor! Sue the government nii! When this news broke out, I said it that the parents of the girl omitted vital details about the happenings of this thing.

Imagine the flimsy excuse she gave when asked to carry out her duty when others who have the same head with her carried theirs out without complaining.

I'm in no way supporting the actions of the principal and teachers, but hey, if this girl had simply done what she was told to do, all this could have been avoided!.

As a teacher, I know these kids will give the flimsiest of excuse just to escape during what they're suppose to do. If the girl was really sick, why did she even come to school.

The Lagos state government should punish everybody involved. The head girl, the girl that was flogged and the teachers also. All must be punished and no one should be spared!.

So you could come to terms that every one now should be punished but initially when the news broke out, you condemned the little girl and queue behind the so call prefect and her cruel teachers and principal .

Just keep your tab on this story and see how those teachers and principal will be dealt with for applying emotions to discipline of that little girl.

Would the principal had allowed her own daughter be treated in such way. ?

[i]In our last discussion, I asked what will you do if tht lady was your daughter. You could not answer up till this moment

Good morning
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 8:39am On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Sue the government kor! Sue the government nii! When this news broke out, I said it that the parents of the girl omitted vital details about the happenings of this thing.

Imagine the flimsy excuse she gave when asked to carry out her duty when others who have the same head with her carried theirs out without complaining.

I'm in no way supporting the actions of the principal and teachers, but hey, if this girl had simply done what she was told to do, all this could have been avoided!.

As a teacher, I know these kids will give the flimsiest of excuse just to escape during what they're suppose to do. If the girl was really sick, why did she even come to school.

The Lagos state government should punish everybody involved. The head girl, the girl that was flogged and the teachers also. All must be punished and no one should be spared!.

So you could come to terms that every one now should be punished but initially when the news broke out, you condemned the little girl and queue behind the so call prefect and her cruel teachers and principal .

Just keep your tab on this story and see how those teachers and principal will be dealt with for applying emotions to discipline of that little girl.

in our last discussion, I asked what will you do if tht lady was your daughter. You could not answer up till this moment

Good morning
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by ikukuhero: 8:39am On Mar 23, 2016
omolola15:
The punishment is too much for her but from her story she's a bit rude too.

Please, how do you define being rude from the context you read and how was Ogechi 'a bit rude ...'? It was absolutely wrong for the Prefect to give her a slap and she Ogechi, was right to have returned that slap in self defense. If this scenario had played out in a developed country, I am sure that by now, all accused would have been interrogated, suspended or sacked from their jobs and/or that school closed down temporarily. Imagine the impunity of the teachers! I hope justice is served. I'm totally pissed by the action of the teachers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by saibuhari(m): 8:39am On Mar 23, 2016
For teachers, principal and even prefect to be on your case simply means the girl was rude beyond redemption. From the girl's own account, she exhibited acts of rudeness and indiscipline. We must enforce discipline in our schools or else Nigeria will be in trouble. Our schools must produce students who are worthy in character and learning.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 8:41am On Mar 23, 2016
bright007:
Though it is wrong for the school to have disciplined her to the extent where she had to be hospitalized, but it is obvious the girl is rude. For slapping the prefect, she is daring the school authority

For many of you critizing the school, I want to let you know that learning comes with discipline. Many students nowadays are over pampered by their parents and the first point of discipline becomes the school. It is this same parents that would complain if the girl start to fail in her academics. A girl that won't respect her teachers won't learn from them.
Thank you very much for this comment, Can I buy you a drink? Lol.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omoiseselagba: 8:42am On Mar 23, 2016
Damicares:
This is nonsense. That school better be shut down.
what sch do you think we are talking about?
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omolola15(m): 8:42am On Mar 23, 2016
tempem:
Yes. And again, the principal is a woman. They don't play with discipline.

I am a man and I value respect a lot. That's the way i was brought up. Disrespect your elders in my house and you are dead. My papa go flog the Hell out of you.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Gerrard59(m): 8:42am On Mar 23, 2016
I suggest flogging of students be banned in our schools. We have being flogged since the days of yore, and the country still has a high crime rate, Boko Haram, ritual killing, robbery, cultism, religious intolerance etc.

Nigerians need to find a new way of disciplining their young ones as flogging has shown to have no effect. To those who say Africans need to be flogged should know and understand that weren't animals. Only animals need to be flogged if need be.

Upon all the flogging, the country is one of most corrupt nations

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Nobody: 8:43am On Mar 23, 2016
Rubbish! What Law vested power on a Prefect to slap undecided I ask barbarians here who are shielding this point?! Why couldn't she report Ogechi's disobedience to a teacher undecided
It's my duty to discipline my child, ion need nobody 'helping' me. And that teacher had to UnCloth her for what? Okay, other students have seen her nudity...lowest of low! Bloody I.diot angry

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by boboLIL(m): 8:43am On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Yes how dare the teachers beat her like that, but you also forget, how dare she refuse to obey instructions when her fellow students obeyed?

That's how you look at a case, holistically, not myopically.
mumu. U don't have to insult me to make ur point.. She gave excuse why she can't do what was asked of her.. She said she was sick... that SP just wanted to exercise. Her powers on her..

But wait,,, if you don't obey instruction,, the whole teachers will beat u mercilessly huh? Excuse me

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omolola15(m): 8:45am On Mar 23, 2016
gr8tgg:

Am not a teacher though, but some kids are really stubborn to the extent that you will almost loose ur temper,
flogging a rude child moderately is OK, but the pattern they used on her plus slap, removing of tight, taking turns to slap her is what I call child abuse, real child abuse, cos one strong slap can deafen somebody's ears forever. cane is OK but slap my child? oh I can't fight but at least I can go to the principal office and sumasult to show him or her the sample of whom I was, in case of next time. you know warha I mean.

moderate flogging on the buttocks should be allowed but what these people did to Ogechi is too bad. I hope our men in uniform will not sweep this case under the carpet, cos there is different between disciplining a student and abusing a student.

I said it earlier. The punishment is too much.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 8:47am On Mar 23, 2016
senatorbayor:

[i]In our last discussion, I asked what will you do if tht lady was your daughter. You could not answer up till this moment

Good morning
Like I told you before, among the barrage of comments I made on this issue, you only picked one and based your argument on it. So, please, go through my comments again, and you'll see where I stated that everyone is guilty.

And I'll have you know that it might surprise you when you'll hear that the school principle walked away from this incident with just a slap on the wrist.

The girls actions, (which her parents failed to mention but gave us sensational story by omitting vital details) caused all this. Your mates are asked to do something, and you refused because you are Wonder Woman.

And I remember giving you an answer which I'm not surprised you failed to see because like you, you only see what you want to see, not what you need to see. You're suffering from scotoma.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 8:51am On Mar 23, 2016
boboLIL:
mumu. U don't have to insult me to make ur point.. She gave excuse why she can't do what was asked of her.. She said she was sick... that SP just wanted to exercise. Her powers on her..

But wait,,, if you don't obey instruction,, the whole teachers will beat u mercilessly huh? Excuse me
Obey instructions abi? And what does refusing to obey instructions translate to? She gave a flimsy excuse? Yea right, she was sick, I suppose sick people come to school abi?

I'm a teacher, and I know what many of these students who lack home training are capable off.

And calling you myopic isn't an insult oh. Abeg!. tongue
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by kindim(m): 8:53am On Mar 23, 2016
NiftyViva:
U may flog my boys if they misbehave... but my girls? Please write and sign your will first!!!
Sure thing mehn...
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Tobsam237(m): 8:53am On Mar 23, 2016
Truth be told:
The story is one-sided thus will contain some lies{e.g the "remove your tights" part}...

But still...
Sincerely, for me.... i see nothing wrong here... The student is really silly to have slapped a prefect.... its just like slapping the School Authority... She could slap a teacher or even the principal if the act is not curbed with tough hands.. The rude girl rightly got what she deserves...

Dont forget.. Its not a private school... They don't pay any school fees.... If you don't want your child to be flogged, u berra take your ward to ajebo schools....

For those who wanna crucify-ingly quote me.... take samples of products of spare-the-rod kids and otherwise and checkout their lifes

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by alaskido(m): 8:54am On Mar 23, 2016
Any teacher who lays his or her hand on my child will have me to contend with in a boxing or wrestling ring. I will make sure I knock out at all the teeth in his mouth. The kids are to be taught and not to be beaten like animals.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omolola15(m): 8:54am On Mar 23, 2016
ikukuhero:

Please, how do you define being rude from the context you read and how was Ogechi 'a bit rude ...'? It was absolutely wrong for the Prefect to give her a slap and she Ogechi, was right to have returned that slap in self defense. If this scenario had played out in a developed country, I am sure that by now, all accused would have been interrogated, suspended or sacked from their jobs and/or that school closed down temporarily. Imagine the impunity of the teachers! I hope justice is served. I'm totally pissed by the action of the teachers.

I don't know where you grow up or which school you attended. But in most schools in Nigeria. When your senior ask you to do something you do it. And there's nothing called self defense when it comes to your senior. It's like your mum tell you to do something and you refuse. She slapped you and you slapped yours back. Does that feel right?

I said it earlier the punishment is too much. I'm not defending the teachers for their actions and please don't get me wrong. But we were not there when it happened. The question should be is she telling the whole truth? There are some kind of frustrations that'll want to make you kill someone. I've seen a case where my aunt wet to kid's school because he was flogged. I told her not to go because I know the boy na very stubborn boy. She came home disappointed because the boy bleeped up big time. She beat her again when they got home. And the boy told half the story a day earlier.

MY point is, her teachers are human and I'm sure they won't beat her for no reason. They no be animal na. I just wish we can hear their part of the story.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by boboLIL(m): 8:57am On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Obey instructions abi? And what does refusing to obey instructions translate to? She gave a flimsy excuse? Yea right, she was sick, I suppose sick people come to school abi?

I'm a teacher, and I know what many of these students who lack home training are capable off.

And calling you myopic isn't an insult oh. Abeg!. tongue
you know nothing... That's how you bully students around hence the reason you are defending them... If na ur daughter wetin u go do?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by menxer: 8:57am On Mar 23, 2016
The victim complicated issues.
If she was ill why did she not stay away from participating in the work, only to use that as excuse when instructions were given?

How come she dared the Prefect and returned the slap as ill as she was?

She caused her problem.

the Principal over did it by "over flogging " the victim. But how many strokes of the cane amount to "over flogging"?

If the school can no longer instill discipline in students, why should we complain when our youths misbehave or act rude and by extension exhibit insubordination to constituted authority as adults?
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 9:01am On Mar 23, 2016
alexlee50:
in as much as I agree with you on the importance of discipline in the training of a child, there should always be a line drawn at all times to determine the extent of discipline. Granted the child was rude to the prefect, does the prefect have a right to punish, slap or flog another student? Let's see the school rules/rules regulation including that of the ministry of education to see where the prefect draws his/her power from.
You will be surprise to know that the ministry of education, as well as most schools, place high value on discipline, and they frown absolutely on rudeness and disrespect to authority.

on the flogging received by the student from the teachers, they should have had it at the back of their minds that punishment is meant to be a corrective measure not a punitive measure. They should not have taken it so personal that a child has to be hospitalized in the process. They all have children, I am not sure anyone of them would beat their child like that.in administering punishment, the child should know what he/she has done wrong and why he/she would be punished.the essence is to prevent future occurence and to build a better person in the child tomorrow. If the child was rude to thr teachers, invitation of thr parents, suspension or even expulsion at the extreme are measures the school could have employed.now they first assualted the child sexually by asking her to remove her thights then they started flogging her to the extent she is hospitalized, even if she was rude to them is not administering discipline, it is crude, barbaric and wicked and defeats the whole purpose of producing a better child
Yes the teachers went too far, and their actions are shouldn't be commended in any way. They like their emotions get the better of them.

But frankly bro, when the parents of this girl broke this news out on social media, they omitted vital details as to what lead the teachers to act this way towards their child. They just made people believe that the head girl assaulted their daughter for no just course, that's why their daughter returned the slap.

Their omission of this vital detail should tell you a thing or two about them, because from what I've seen so far, they failed in training their child.

The excuse given by the child that she was sick is just too flimsy, because if she was sick, why should her parents allow her leave the house? Is a sick child suppose to be in school?

The girls disobedience is the remote cause of all this, if she had simply done what she was asked to do. All this would not have happened. Its just that simple.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Horlufemi(m): 9:01am On Mar 23, 2016
For beating the girl, they are not at fault but for excessive beating they are.

If I own a school there will be a form where you sign that your child will be flogged and there will be no consequence.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 23, 2016
Unclothing a 14 year old south eastern girl with fresh succulent bre.ast just sprouting up to be bashed by south western teachers just because she disobeyed a mere head girl..... Some people should go to jail after losing there jobs ....Note: I'm a south westerner
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Kaxmytex(m): 9:03am On Mar 23, 2016
prefect slapping student.......wow! wot a nice orientation..
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
You will be surprise to know that the ministry of education, as well as most schools, place high value on discipline, and they frown absolutely on rudeness and disrespect to authority.

Yes the teachers went too far, and their actions are shouldn't be commended in any way. They like their emotions get the better of them.

But frankly bro, when the parents of this girl broke this news out on social media, they omitted vital details as to what lead the teachers to act this way towards their child. They just made people believe that the head girl assaulted their daughter for no just course, that's why their daughter returned the slap.

Their omission of this vital detail should tell you a thing or two about them, because from what I've seen so far, they failed in training their child.

The excuse given by the child that she was sick is just too flimsy, because if she was sick, why should her parents allow her leave the house? Is a sick child suppose to be in school?

The girls disobedience is the remote cause of all this, if she had simply done what she was asked to do. All this would not have happened. Its just that simple.
RECEIVE BRAIN IN JESUS NAME

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 9:07am On Mar 23, 2016
boboLIL:
you know nothing... That's how you bully students around hence the reason you are defending them... If na ur daughter wetin u go do?
And you who know if this is how you reason, your daughter will end up killing you before your time.

Your myopic way of reasoning will be your own undoing. Jut wait and have patience. Its not that far, it will happen. Its just a matter of time.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by pizonewave: 9:10am On Mar 23, 2016
See iranu oh!!

Day students sha.... if she were a boarder then she probably would be dead by now right? Mum running to the police and all. Pray she takes a walk into a boarding school and hear of the horrors kids go through at the hands of "almighty" senior prefects.

Not right what the teachers did thou by assaulting the teen, but she's quite rude and undisciplined, and that's a sign that the schools moral standards have dipped.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 9:10am On Mar 23, 2016
JideJamez:
Unclothing a 14 year old south eastern girl with fresh succulent bre.ast just sprouting up to be bashed by south western teachers just because she disobeyed a mere head girl..... Some people should go to jail after losing there jobs ....Note: I'm a south westerner
And this is coming from someone who say I don't have a brain.

Honestly, you need to be locked up, so as to stop your stupidity from spreading. Its just a shame.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Johnrake69: 9:11am On Mar 23, 2016
jmichlins:
I have said it and am saying it again. I will deal with anyone that will lay a finger on my child or ward at school. Your to teach them not beat them

Spare the rod and spoil the child. We all passed through that stage. Althrough, the punishment was too much. Buh the girl was rude. Refusing to obey an instruction says alot about the character of the girl in question. Others that obeyed were not punished

What should be paramount is that our kids turnout great. If its with both flogging and moral advice that will do the magic so be it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Difference Between University And Poly Diploma / Share Your First Day In Lecture Hall Experience / No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.