Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,605 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers (19515 Views)

Primary 4 Pupil Constructs 'Gun' In Borno. Recovered In School. Photos / Boy Severely Brutalized By Principal In Uyo For Not Showing Up In School (Pics) / Student Battered By Principal Of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary -"Graphic Pictures" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omolola15(m): 3:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
smileysmiley:
I totally get your point but for how long are we continuously going to follow the drill. No student should be allowed to hit another student cause that only instills violence. If the prefect in question had reported her to a teacher, she would have been caned or punished by the teacher and made to carry the chair, this thing would have not escalated to this. Schools should ban senior students from hitting their juniors cause it makes them callous. This prefect was asked to slap her again later and she gave her four dirty slaps. Why? Cause she already harbour hatred in her heart for the girl. If you ask me, I'll say the prefect was at fault, she was given the post cause she was perceived as a leader. Would a good leader do what she did? We need to start curtailing these excesses from the root, that prefect will become a President tomorrow and think she can slap her subjects anyhow without any regards to their feeling. This is the same school habit that our leaders of today passed through and we can see how they are treating us like plagues cause they don't care about us. Believe me there is a way she would have asked the girl to carry the chair and the girl would oblige, how about carrying the chair together with her? A better leader is trained that way.

I'm glad you got my point. And you nailed it. We all know how that seniors can be. And I'm sure she knows the teachers will support the prefect. So to avoid all these she should have just obeyed. Some seniors are very wicked when it comes to dealing with students. I still remember our headboy senior Sunday. He once chased me like a madman for more than 30 mins. And i still remembered senior mark making me kneel down for hours for a crime I commiyed before joining that school.

You and i know it'll be very hard prosecuting those above us. So as not to suffer we should thread carefully..

How about carrying the chair with her........ Make i bend if any senior help their junior carry chair. All those wicked people.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by MSItachi: 4:24pm On Mar 23, 2016
Nuff Said

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
smileysmiley:
I don't think she was rude. She was just standing up for herself. You need to see the way all these senior students act just because they are above with a class and they were given the post of a prefect.
Were u once a boarder?
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Jascon4: 4:59pm On Mar 23, 2016
smileysmiley:
I totally get your point but for how long are we continuously going to follow the drill. No student should be allowed to hit another student cause that only instills violence. If the prefect in question had reported her to a teacher, she would have been caned or punished by the teacher and made to carry the chair, this thing would have not escalated to this. Schools should ban senior students from hitting their juniors cause it makes them callous. This prefect was asked to slap her again later and she gave her four dirty slaps. Why? Cause she already harbour hatred in her heart for the girl. If you ask me, I'll say the prefect was at fault, she was given the post cause she was perceived as a leader. Would a good leader do what she did? We need to start curtailing these excesses from the root, that prefect will become a President tomorrow and think she can slap her subjects anyhow without any regards to their feeling. This is the same school habit that our leaders of today passed through and we can see how they are treating us like plagues cause they don't care about us. Believe me there is a way she would have asked the girl to carry the chair and the girl would oblige, how about carrying the chair together with her? A better leader is trained that way.

Well thought out and sensible comment, I had to give you the 'like'. Wish I can like it more.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Originalsly: 6:01pm On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Please I wouldn't want to believe you didn't read the OP. The girl refused to do what she was told to do. If she had simply done what she was told to do, all this would not have happened. That's just the way it is.
Thanks for supporting my point.... you have no clue about the role of a prefect. If a student disobeys the prefect what should the prefect do? With this your way of thinking is the reason why the Chinese, Indian, Arabs and other foreigners be slapping and beating grown men and women in the workplace.... you have the mentality of a slave.... follow instructions or you deserve whatever punishment is meted out to you. May my comments open your eyes to the bigger picture.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Originalsly: 6:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
smileysmiley:
Soooooo on point!....root cause of the problem and long term effects. .... we support the oppressors in this case... helping to build and fortify monsters... but get we can't understand how our leaders can be so inhumane. Like×1000!
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 8:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
Originalsly:
Thanks for supporting my point.... you have no clue about the role of a prefect. If a student disobeys the prefect what should the prefect do? With this your way of thinking is the reason why the Chinese, Indian, Arabs and other foreigners be slapping and beating grown men and women in the workplace.... you have the mentality of a slave.... follow instructions or you deserve whatever punishment is meted out to you. May my comments open your eyes to the bigger picture.
On the contrary, may your comments further pull you into the abyss of ignorance which you so righteously swim inside.

Perhaps you can outline the duties of a prefect, not just a prefect, but the head girl as well.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by mbhs139(m): 8:59pm On Mar 23, 2016
When a pupil tells you that he/she is being bullied it's important to gather all the facts from both sides. This includes talking to the bully and any witnesses. Bullies will often not act alone and it's important to remember that you may be dealing with a number of pupils who are friends and who may give similar versions of events that differ to that of the victim. You will know from your own experience of the students who is friends with who and can use this as a way of assessing the accuracy of what you are being told.
How to find out the real story
Try to interview the pupils accused of bullying in such a way that they don't have the opportunity to get together to make up stories. Explain to the pupil accused of bullying what they are supposed to have done and get him/her to write down exactly what they think happened, who was there and what led up to the incident. The bully may admit the event occurred but it's worth while getting them to write it down anyway so you can talk to them about it in more detail later.
Ask them what their friends were doing while the incident was taking place and whether any other pupils or adults were nearby. Bullies rarely admit what they have done so just because the bullies may be 'nice' children and high achievers from good families doesn't mean that they are not bullying someone else.
Once you have all the facts and have established that bullying has taken place you will need to decide how to proceed and what punishments are suitable. Much depends on the nature of the bullying. You should explain to the pupil that what they have done constitutes bullying and that the school has a zero tolerance of this behaviour.
If it includes violence then you need to report this to a member of the senior management team. Schools should always consider calling in the police over violence where the attacker is over the age of criminal responsibility which is 10 in England and Wales. Explain to the bully why their actions were wrong and help them to understand that that these actions could land them in trouble with the police later in life.

Source: www.bully.co.uk
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Irishrena1(f): 9:40pm On Mar 23, 2016
Kai. My country. Imagine. The girl should remove her tight in school. Like really remove it. Asked by a male teacher. And flogged unclad in the presence of a fellow student. And the principal was cursing her upon ontop of it. Kai. I weep. They obviously taught she was a helpless child but God will stand for her even if she is a "a Cow without tail" as our people say.
And why will the school authority make students law enforcement agents? Why couldn't they come out by themselves and instruct the students on what to do? This brutality in the name of seniority must stop. Enough of it.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by olupatito(f): 10:35pm On Mar 23, 2016
One advice for the principal and other teachers involve, go apologize to ogechi's family. you just messed with the wrong family.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by ifeomaekol(f): 7:56am On Mar 24, 2016
They all took turns to slap her n another decided d slaps wasn't enuf n asked her to pull down her tights for proper beating------kai so disappointed in dz teachers n if u do a proper check dia kids hv done worse.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by slayer94kimono(m): 11:40am On Mar 24, 2016
[color=#000099][/color] I said it earlier a part of the story is missing! The school should release their own statement! Many people come to social media and hide behind a faceless name and share a story that suits them! Let the school tell us what really happened! The punishment was wrong alright but there is more to this story! Proper investigation should be made! But the previous post said she missed her exams? I smell lies from this Ogechi and her family! Something still doesn't click! First she came late, was slapped and she returned the slap, was taken to the principal's office, she was asked to strip naked but now it's just tight she was asked to remove, she missed her exams cause she was asked to cut grass but now she wrote the exam. Is it just me or are there some mis matched facts, she was sick in the previous post it was not stated that she was sick, the principal brought soldiers to the school and did not honour the police invitation but now she honoured the police iv and went along with soldiers! I smell lies all around this story!! Lies Lies Lies!!!
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 1:17pm On Mar 29, 2016
[quote author=joseph1832 post=44032061]

EVA ADELAJA:Govt Removes Principal, Deputy, Four Teachers For ‘assaulting’ Pupil by daguru(m): 12:10pm On Mar 24
This is a follow up story on this https://www.nairaland.com/3000873/student-battered-principal-eva-adelaja

JUSTICE SERVED, Govt removes principal, deputy, four teachers for ‘assaulting’ pupil

FOR alleged inhuman treatment of a Junior Secondary Two (JS II) pupil, Principal of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary School in Bariga, Lagos, Mrs C. O. Coker, Vice-Principal, Mrs Balogun and four teachers were yesterday removed by the government.

The teachers are Mr Bello (Mathematics), Mrs Tejumaye (English language), Mrs Omoge (Physic Education) and Mr Bakare (Economics).

Their removal followed the investigation into the flogging of the pupil, Ogechi Anyalewechi, on March 16 by the teachers on the principal’s instruction.

Lagos State Ministry of Education Permanent Secretary Mrs Olabisi Ariyo said they were removed because of their complicity in the “assault saga”, adding: They will no longer work in the school from Thursday, March 24 (today)”.

Ogechi was flogged on her bare buttocks following an altercation with the school’s Head Girl.

The 14-year-old pupil got into trouble after slapping back the Head Girl, who reported her to the school.

Besides being caned, Ogechi was made to cut grass for over four hours.

Ogechi suffered body wounds and was taken to Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja.

When the incident became public, Commissioner for Youth and Social Development Princess Uzamat Akinbile-Yussuf directed the Directorate of School Social Services of her ministry to probe it.

A fact-finding team led by a director, which visited the school, on Tuesday, indicted the principal and the teachers.

Yesterday, Oghechi, her parents, the headgirl, the principal and the teachers appeared before a panel chaired by the ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Mr Hakeem Muri-Okunola. Mrs Ariyo was in attendance.

The head girl, it was learnt, confessed that she slapped Ogechi and apologised for her action.

According to Princess Akinbile-Yussuf, “the Director of the School Social Services on my instruction went to the school to carry out on the spot investigation following which all those involved including the principal, the head girl, Ogechi, her parents and Tutor-General of Education District 2, were on Wednesday March 23 (yesterday), invited before a panel chaired by Muri-Okunola and his education ministry counterpart, Mrs Ariyo was also there.

“The head girl confessed that she slapped Ogechi first and apologised to her for her improper behaviour. It was also confirmed that the principal subsequently instructed some teachers to give Ogechi about 12 strokes of the cane on her backside. The principal and teachers have since been removed and will now report at the Education District 2, while the assault victim and the erring head girl were appropriately counselled by the School Social Services Directorate on the proper way to conduct themselves in school.”

She added: “We have also instructed that the victim (Ogechi) should not be harassed or molested as she returns to the school to continue her studies and her parents were happy at the outcome of the intervention.

“However, the ministry shall henceforth step up the school social services to educate both students and teachers on the best conduct in school environment across all public schools in Lagos State.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/govt-removes-principal-deputy-four-teachers-assaulting-pupil/

At Last, Justice have been seen to be served based on our request and like I promised that I will get in touch with you when the govt reprimand the teachers and principal on their awkward attitude and condemnable manners .
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 1:25pm On Mar 29, 2016
senatorbayor. Justice is indeed served. Everybody got served, the principal, vice principal, teachers, the head girl and ogechi.

It was like I said, everybody is guilty. Kudos to the lagos state government for doing what they did.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 1:40pm On Mar 29, 2016
joseph1832:
senatorbayor. Justice is indeed served. Everybody got served, the principal, vice principal, teachers, the head girl and ogechi.

It was like I said, everybody is guilty. Kudos to the lagos state government for doing what they did.

cheers man
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by mbhs139(m): 8:29am On Mar 30, 2016
...and now that the teachers have been sanctioned by sacking them, this will now give students, wherever they are in Lagos, the audacity to do whatever they like. All they need do is come to the social media, shout on top of the world and they will get the attention needed. Now, disciplined that has already been thrown to the dogs in our schools will now be picked up by the hyenas

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by mbhs139(m): 8:47am On Mar 30, 2016
It doesn't take a lot of research to tell us that discipline in school is different today than it was in the past. But it does take some investigation to find out why. Various studies have shown that students who act up in school express a variety of reasons for doing so:

Some think that teachers don't care about them;
Others don't want to be in school at all;
They don't consider goal setting and success in school important anymore;
Students are unaware that their adolescent behaviors will result in punishment they won't like.

Although, it is agreed that discipline enforcers, i.e. educators (teachers alike), have to go through long procedures of due process, such as: hearings, specific charges, witnesses, and appeals. Despite these hurdles however, students agree that discipline is needed in schools.

One high school student stated: "If there were no discipline, the school would not be distinguished from the street." So if everyone agrees that discipline is key to safety in school, why do we still have a problem with that?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Peace Mass Transit Boss, Sam Onyishi Set To Extend Midas’ To University Educatio / Check Ur Unilorin List Here And Good Luck / When Will Jamb Registeration Close For This Year

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.