Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,501 members, 7,816,192 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers (19504 Views)

Primary 4 Pupil Constructs 'Gun' In Borno. Recovered In School. Photos / Boy Severely Brutalized By Principal In Uyo For Not Showing Up In School (Pics) / Student Battered By Principal Of Eva Adelaja Girls Secondary -"Graphic Pictures" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by focus7: 10:32am On Mar 23, 2016
JoaHynppes:
[size=14pt]wtf is this? Huh?.... The f*cking little girl is so rude, she deserves what she got...

1. You didn't carry the chair ordered by the prefect

2. You retaliated when you were slapped by the same prefect, so she what's trynna say huh??
[/size]
Animal sense!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 10:32am On Mar 23, 2016
UjSizzle:

I understand you. Education is not just about learning, but also character development. So far, Ogechi's character needs ample development.
But even though I understand why the teachers acted that way (I mean you have to disabuse people like this of the notion that they can get away with gross insolence undecided) I still think they overreacted. The grass cutting would have been sufficient punishment, but taking turns to beat her?

We need to learn to give punishments that equal the weight of the crime. This was way higher.
Men UJ, UJ I'm in love... But still. However this may be, I believe telling her to cut grass would not have passed the message across. No doubt. The teachers went too far, just one of them should have drilled her. I work with kids like this... Beating them isn't the main thing to use to drive home a message. But drilling them is.

If it was me, I would have made her ride Okada for 2 hours. Then she'll know what's up. Let the pain teach her a very valid lesson.

All the more reason why I teach the kids I teach that education doesn't just involve the learning of books, but also the molding of character and the fine turning of attitude.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Originalsly: 10:36am On Mar 23, 2016
Hmm....reading these comments make me want to believe that most of us don't know the role of the prefect and neither does the principal or teaching staff. A prefect should never ever in any form discipline a student so for this one to slap a student she deserved to get a slap in return. Why was the prefect not reprimanded? We shut our eyes to this the root of the problem but yet open our mouths to make noise about the victim being rude and undisciplined. If the police were to do their job...the principal and staff members should all be charged....but ...they are afraid because of the principal's military connections .... and we still wonder why jungle justice is so widespread. Should the victim be my daughter or sister..in time I would've found a way to stalk and get back at each and every one of them.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by UjSizzle(f): 10:37am On Mar 23, 2016
lordmans:
Definitely, Ogechi from the story no doubt is a rude girl and she must have irked the irrational response she got from the school authorities. But the school authority could have simply suspended from the school which to me is more heavier than the flogging.

What is more worrisome is the dramatis personae of those trying to enforce her rights-they are Ibos and she is Ibo too. This should not be made an igbo affair as it will be counter-productive. Objectivity should be maintained so it wont turn around.
You'd be surprised what little impact, if not nonexistent, suspension will make.
I had school mates who were regular suspension candidates (standard 2wks) and they come back feeling like gangsters.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by ponpon(m): 10:42am On Mar 23, 2016
Many people who don't know the real story just keep commenting and commenting Bullshit....she was late to school,... *that's why she lied about 8am*...the prefect told them to kneel down, she refused, and she was utterly very rude, she slapped the prefect who reported to the principal. The principal ordered she should be punished and she was given four strokes.. She walked out of the school angrily and started a sweet show on social media.....

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 10:45am On Mar 23, 2016
Originalsly:
Hmm....reading these comments make me want to believe that most of us don't know the role of the prefect and neither does the principal or teaching staff. A prefect should never ever in any form discipline a student so for this one to slap a student she deserved to get a slap in return. Why was the prefect not reprimanded? We shut our eyes to this the root of the problem but yet open our mouths to make noise about the victim being rude and undisciplined. If the police were to do their job...the principal and staff members should all be charged....but ...they are afraid because of the principal's military connections .... and we still wonder why jungle justice is so widespread. Should the victim be my daughter or sister..in time I would've found a way to stalk and get back at each and every one of them.
Please I wouldn't want to believe you didn't read the OP. The girl refused to do what she was told to do. If she had simply done what she was told to do, all this would not have happened. That's just the way it is.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 10:47am On Mar 23, 2016
ponpon:
Many people who don't know the real story just keep commenting and commenting Bullshit....she was late to school,... *that's why she lied about 8am*...the prefect told them to kneel down, she refused, and she was utterly very rude, she slapped the prefect who reported to the principal. The principal ordered she should be punished and she was given four strokes.. She walked out of the school angrily and started a sweet show on social media.....
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Can you imagine? But how do you know all of this?
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 10:53am On Mar 23, 2016
JoaHynppes:

To where Huh?

To my hood

You are so funny grin
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by mosopefoluwa: 10:55am On Mar 23, 2016
Pls Pls Pls......
It's pretty clear the girl got to school late and was probably rude to the head girl but that in no way give the head girl any right to slap her. What she should have done was escalate the issue and then the school authorities will take appropriate measures.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Kgdavid(m): 10:58am On Mar 23, 2016
ponpon:

Excuse me, we saw the pics of the bruises left all over her body so please just shut up!
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 11:31am On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Oh you simpleton! Imagine the barrage of nonsense spewing from your fingers. No wonder you can't see what's in front of you even when its looking right at you.

You asked what I would do if the girl in question was my child, I gave you answers and in your narrow minded and myopic way, you put everything on poor reasoning. LMAO!

Lemme even ask you, what type of reasoning did I exhibit here, since you say its poor, you should know the type, and hey, don't bother using wikipedia, it can not be trusted. tongue

When people like you are made to swallow your narrow mindedness as well as your shallow mindedness, the above is what you spew, blaming everything on poor salary and what you don't know about?

For the question simpleton, who even told you I teach in a public school? Oh yea, you assumed! So much like you to assume everything when you have facts staring right in your shallow thoughts.

If you see my students, you will cower because they reason far better than you and anything that will come out from your narrow minded loins.

Shioor! Just see person wey dey talk. Jankara senator na banjo for jankara. tongue tongue tongue

Please, remain in the abyss of ignorance because from all what you've been saying, that is where you truly belong. After all, "ignorance is bliss".

Let me give you time so that you can read over all your comments to see the amazing level of your illogical reasoning.

If your students reasoned more than I do, then it shows you are are learner while the students are your instructors grin

Shamefully, You said you teach in a private school, is that how your so called mushroom private schools deals with the Ogechis where 6 teachers including you and the principal gang up to inflict injury on the bare body and bombom of your students cos they did what you termed "rude"

Cover your face in shame if truly you are a teacher and not an instructor as you have displayed here.

you need refresher course on effective discipline and classroom management . By the time you are done, You will thank me

Good morning once more
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 11:51am On Mar 23, 2016
senatorbayor:

Let me give you time so that you can read over all your comments to see the amazing level of your illogical reasoning.

If your students reasoned more than I do, then it shows you are are learner while the students are your instructors grin

Shamefully, You said you teach in a private school, is that how your so called mushroom private schools deals with the Ogechis where 6 teachers including you and the principal gang up to inflict injury on the bare body and bombom of your students cos they did what you termed "rude"

Cover your face in shame if truly you are a teacher and not an instructor as you have displayed here.

you need refresher course on effective discipline and classroom management . By the time you are done, You will thank me

Good morning once more
Where did I say I teach in a private school? LMAO. Honestly this guy is only good at assuming. I refuted your stewpid claim that I teach in a public school, then voila, the next thing is for you to assume I teach in a private school.

This is how you go about forming opinions without having adequate facts to back up your opinions. Its a shame.

Truly, ignorance is bliss. Jankara senator, please once again, remain in the abyss of ignorance as I will not reply your mention hence forth, because you're a narrow minded simpleton.

And you can shove your good morning up your narrow minded behind. tongue
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by alexlee50: 12:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
You will be surprise to know that the ministry of education, as well as most schools, place high value on discipline, and they frown absolutely on rudeness and disrespect to authority.

Yes the teachers went too far, and their actions are shouldn't be commended in any way. They like their emotions get the better of them.

But frankly bro, when the parents of this girl broke this news out on social media, they omitted vital details as to what lead the teachers to act this way towards their child. They just made people believe that the head girl assaulted their daughter for no just course, that's why their daughter returned the slap.

Their omission of this vital detail should tell you a thing or two about them, because from what I've seen so far, they failed in training their child.

The excuse given by the child that she was sick is just too flimsy, because if she was sick, why should her parents allow her leave the house? Is a sick child suppose to be in school?

The girls disobedience is the remote cause of all this, if she had simply done what she was asked to do. All this would not have happened. Its just that simple.
I agree with u that the girl was rude.she could also have been rude to the teachers but that is not a justification for her to be beaten to the extent that she needs to be hospitalized. All children cannot be perfect, there are bound to deviants. How do u manage a deviant child, how do you bring out the best from somsomething bad.how do you model a child into a good role model and an inspiration for the other kids? It is not when you make a good child behave and perform well that makes you a good parent/guardian but your ability to model a deviant into something good.it is that bad child that has become that becomes the role model for others, the community and the society at large. Does the school have a guidiance/counselling department? Why didnt they send her for counselling? Have they been counselling the children before now on good conduct, etiquette? The school have failed in their duty to model a deviant child into a good role model for others to emulate.there is no justification whatsoever for meting out that punishment to the girl

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by hornyman(m): 12:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
omolola15:
The punishment is too much for her but from her story she's a bit rude too.

Rude or not they shouldn't have beat her up in that manner. Why are they school of learning in the first instance? If it was my daughter their own don finish be dat. I don't care if you are a prefect or not you have no right to raise your bare hands to slap fellow student, there are other means, even. A teacher cannot slap. Why I was in school no prefect dare slap me. Ogechi just showed that she was a true daughter of her father by retaliating. Take note, no school can slap my own daughter oooo, use cane and use it wisely not excessively, if the caning too much self dem go see my other side.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omoTsexy: 12:23pm On Mar 23, 2016
She's not rude. The head gurl started it, why will she slap a fellow student in the first place, she dey claim seniority abi waiting
omolola15:
The punishment is too much for her but from her story she's a bit rude too.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by maasoap(m): 12:39pm On Mar 23, 2016
bright007:
Though it is wrong for the school to have disciplined her to the extent where she had to be hospitalized, but it is obvious the girl is rude. For slapping the prefect, she is daring the school authority

For many of you critizing the school, I want to let you know that learning comes with discipline. Many students nowadays are over pampered by their parents and the first point of discipline becomes the school. It is this same parents that would complain if the girl start to fail in her academics. A girl that won't respect her teachers won't learn from them.
Noone is against discipline, we were all disciplined while in school. But this is not anywhere close to discipline, the girl was brutalized and sexually assaulted.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by maasoap(m): 12:42pm On Mar 23, 2016
omoplaycool:
In a world where every is becoming media conscious and becoming movie directors while narrating the "truth" I think we always need to hear both side of the story
I thought that the other side brought a battalion to the police station when they invited to state their own side of the story.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by maasoap(m): 12:49pm On Mar 23, 2016
omoiseselagba:
shut down Eva adelaja.you must be a clown.
So, Eva Adelaja can't be shut down? You must be a clown.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 12:51pm On Mar 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Where did I say I teach in a private school? LMAO. Honestly this guy is only good at assuming. I refuted your stewpid claim that I teach in a public school, then voila, the next thing is for you to assume I teach in a private school.

This is how you go about forming opinions without having adequate facts to back up your opinions. Its a shame.

Truly, ignorance is bliss. Jankara senator, please once again, remain in the abyss of ignorance as I will not reply your mention hence forth, because you're a narrow minded simpleton.

And you can shove your good morning up your narrow minded behind. tongue

Now you look so much confused . grin

You claimed you don't teach in Public school and when I asked if that is how you discipline students in your private schools. You got yourself cut in the web and spewing gibberish.

I have already propose a course for you on effective discipline and school management.

That will help your poor thinking and reasoning with archaic teaching styles you pride yourself with.

If you have teaching practice experience, You wont queue behind the principal and teachers who descended on Ogechi cause they felt she was rude to the prefect who slapped her first while she replied.

common sense should have told you that Prefects are not empower to slap students no matter the provocations .

where is the place of disciplines in our educational sector ? if you aint opportune to be brought up in a refined environment, don't assumed others should pass through your ordeals.

Meanwhile
Thanks to all loving and well meaning parents and Nigerians here who help to draw your sense to normal reasoning.
Your comments that you would have given Ogechi a sane punishment means we have done a good job on your irrational thinking earlier when this issue came up and you supported the harsh treatment by the teachers and the principal.

Indeed, Nairaland is a place to learn and you have been whipped to line on Good and logical reasoning

Just follow the probe panel set up by the govt.

Good afternoon Mazi Onyekuzi ( The most fierce teacher of the year ) grin
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Nobody: 12:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
asuustrike2009:

why are they not children
I MAY allow you to teach my boys better ways to be MEN, but leave ma girls for me; I will make them better Ladies by my self! Okonjo Iweala, Dora Akunyili... My girls have two role models already!!!
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by senatorbayor(m): 1:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
alexlee50:
I agree with u that the girl was rude.she could also have been rude to the teachers but that is not a justification for her to be beaten to the extent that she needs to be hospitalized. All children cannot be perfect, there are bound to deviants. How do u manage a deviant child, how do you bring out the best from somsomething bad.how do you model a child into a good role model and an inspiration for the other kids? It is not when you make a good child behave and perform well that makes you a good parent/guardian but your ability to model a deviant into something good.it is that bad child that has become that becomes the role model for others, the community and the society at large. Does the school have a guidiance/counselling department? Why didnt they send her for counselling? Have they been counselling the children before now on good conduct, etiquette? The school have failed in their duty to model a deviant child into a good role model for others to emulate.there is no justification whatsoever for meting out that punishment to the girl

God bless you real Good for this comment . You have indeed help joseph1832: to realized beating to the extent of inflicting Injuries is not all we need to train up a child . The school is a place where we raise models and the fact that all children cant be the same makes it unique.

How many schools have counseling dept again not to talk of moral instructions .
Many Ogechis have been transformed to Great women in the society .

some of us played pranks in school then and majority of us got refined through counseling and discipline as statistic have shown that children who are trained through the way these teachers and principal acted becomes more adamant and defiant.

the Great Question is this: Can the principal allow her own daughter to be dealt with in such manner Ogechi was treated ?
Today, It is Ogechi, tomorrow it might be Sholape or Amina .
There are various forms of disciplines rather to the method adopted by these teachers and principal

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by suwalee(f): 1:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
JoaHynppes:
[size=14pt]wtf is this? Huh?.... The f*cking little girl is so rude, she deserves what she got...

1. You didn't carry the chair ordered by the prefect

2. You retaliated when you were slapped by the same prefect, so she what's trynna say huh??
[/size]
She said she was sick,what other explanation should she give again?
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by ebenholer(m): 2:00pm On Mar 23, 2016
I am sure the story goes beyond what the brutalized girls had said. I should be so sure she started it all, but that does not warrant such brutality. The principal and the teachers must have been abnormally angered by the girl attitude. But the actions were bad.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by alexlee50: 2:09pm On Mar 23, 2016
senatorbayor:

God bless you real Good for this comment . You have indeed help joseph1832: to realized beating to the extent of inflicting Injuries is not all we need to train up a child . The school is a place where we raise models and the fact that all children cant be the same makes it unique.

How many schools have counseling dept again not to talk of moral instructions .
Many Ogechis have been transformed to Great women in the society .

some of us played pranks in school then and majority of us got refined through counseling and discipline as statistic have shown that children who are trained through the way these teachers and principal acted becomes more adamant and defiant.

the Great Question is this: Can the principal allow her own daughter to be dealt with in such manner Ogechi was treated ?
Today, It is Ogechi, tomorrow it might be Sholape or Amina .
There are various forms of disciplines rather to the method adopted by these teachers and principal
well said, bro
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 23, 2016
It appears that 50 years of education and enlightenment has not improved the thought process of quite a number of Nigerians. Why should we continue to use and advocate for inhumane force on children as a tool for discipline?

I went to a school, FGCL, where prefects treated male students like criminals, beat them, bullied them and made life miserable for 5 years and each year these same students become more hardened than the previous set. They even hit a boy with a pole almost sending him mad for life. Took surgery outside the country to treat him.

These sorts of harsh punishment will never change that girl. It might make her calm but she will begin to expreaa the emotions in other ways more devious than slapping back.

I dnt understand what will make adults treat a girl child that way. I wonder what sort of demons will make a woman UnCloth a girl and flog her to that extent as a way of correction. That is wicked and anyone who advocates for that here is an animal. It is obvious Nigerians have lost their sensibilities for evil. For those saying they were beaten that way..... I pity you. 30 years ago human sacrifices were common too does it make it right?

People will never learn. There are better ways to do things ... dont stick with the old ways just because it appeared to work .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Akious2k2(m): 3:05pm On Mar 23, 2016
Tho, I didn't bother 2 read d story, there's nothing wrong in dealing with a student... U can only counsel matured pple... Abegggy
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by joseph1832(m): 3:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
alexlee50:
I agree with u that the girl was rude.she could also have been rude to the teachers but that is not a justification for her to be beaten to the extent that she needs to be hospitalized.
Indeed, I made this known in my post in the previous post that spawned all this is the first place.

All children cannot be perfect, there are bound to deviants. How do u manage a deviant child, how do you bring out the best from somsomething bad.how do you model a child into a good role model and an inspiration for the other kids? It is not when you make a good child behave and perform well that makes you a good parent/guardian but your ability to model a deviant into something good.it is that bad child that has become that becomes the role model for others, the community and the society at large. Does the school have a guidiance/counselling department?
This is best left for the school to answer, not me. I know how most public schools are run, and I'll not be surprise that they do have a guidance counselor and I will not even be surprise if the counselor is among the teachers who flogged Ogechi.

Why didnt they send her for counselling? Have they been counselling the children before now on good conduct, etiquette? The school have failed in their duty to model a deviant child into a good role model for others to emulate.there is no justification whatsoever for meting out that punishment to the girl
Truth be told bro, you don't expect teachers to do everything a parent should do. The home/parent have a role to play too. Most of what you mentioned above should be taught by parents first, not the school. I tell you that parents have left mostly everything that has to do with training of a child entirely to the teachers.

If the school have failed, the parents failed also! Its just the plain truth. We always like to apportion blame to individuals forgetting that we too share part of the blame.

Of course the school had no right to mete out the punishment given the girl, but the girl Ogechi had no right whatsoever to refuse doing what she did. Its just that simple.

Her actions spawned all what is happening now. That is just the plain truth, blaming the school for failing in training the child and not blaming the girls parents is just wrong! That's the truth.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Justmary06(f): 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2016
Thank God!. Am actually in tears. No child deserve such treatment.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by Sulaiman3Ramon: 3:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
If is me , that parents will teach their wards or taking them to another state . When the child rule , he/she needs to be punished .

1 Like

Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by fubtos(m): 3:24pm On Mar 23, 2016
herlonso:
Jst wondering how a student will slap anoda std 4 nt carrying out a task. dt head girl suppose to b punish also....

I strongly agree.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omolola15(m): 3:35pm On Mar 23, 2016
hornyman:

Rude or not they shouldn't have beat her up in that manner. Why are they school of learning in the first instance? If it was my daughter their own don finish be dat. I don't care if you are a prefect or not you have no right to raise your bare hands to slap fellow student, there are other means, even. A teacher cannot slap. Why I was in school no prefect dare slap me. Ogechi just showed that she was a true daughter of her father by retaliating. Take note, no school can slap my own daughter oooo, use cane and use it wisely not excessively, if the caning too much self dem go see my other side.

But I said the punishment is too much na. That means the beating and slapping.
Re: Lagos Probes Pupil’s Floggings By Principal, Teachers by omolola15(m): 3:36pm On Mar 23, 2016
omoTsexy:
She's not rude. The head gurl started it, why will she slap a fellow student in the first place, she dey claim seniority abi waiting

She won't be the first student slapped by a senior. And she might also slap her juniors when she becomes a senior. Na their type dey wicked pass.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Difference Between University And Poly Diploma / Share Your First Day In Lecture Hall Experience / No Nigerian University Made "World's Best 700".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.