Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:33 AM

Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% (38175 Views)

Fayose: FG Wants To Tax Nigerians To Death, Condemns Increase In Cost Of Data / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data & Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 27, 2016
all I wish that I was in US were I could browse through out my life without pay pany and calling at low rate just with MTN.
free browzing in US
pay before service in naija
call at low rate
call at highest rate compare to other African countries..
Why naija!!!!!!!!!?

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Chukzyfcb(m): 3:29pm On Mar 27, 2016
coolscott:

[size=22pt]Why should we contribute 20bn per month to these people when we know the looters of yester years are still very much on the ground[/size]
superstar1
ibedun
Chukzyfcb
sweetgala
Everything is in alliance with the 2016 budget. Since the budget has been passed, they are making concise effort to see that the budget gets necessary funding. If you recall, the 2016 fg budget is funded 79% from Non-oil sources. As of 2014, Nigeria generated about 1.08trillion naira and this year our budget says we will generate 3.5trillion revenue from Non-oil sources....That's 2trillion increase !!! It sounded ridiculous how our govt intends to achieve such feat but with these taxing policies and more to come in future. We seem to be the scape goats to funding the budget

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by fred04(m): 3:32pm On Mar 27, 2016
LAUGH NO GO KILL ME!!!,AT D END OF THE MONTH ALERTS WILL START TROOPING IN.(ATM MAINTENANCE FEE +VAT) CHAINS ABI CHANGE.BUBU LOVERS HOPE SAY DEY WONT CHARGE u DOSE FEES

2 Likes

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Saintp(m): 3:35pm On Mar 27, 2016
sweetgala:

Why are Nigerians so against their civil obligations, you use a service and don't want to pay a tax contribution for it.

They don't want to pay TV bills either.

Come to UK / Ireland and you'll find out that your phone bill at the month end is subject to tax at round 27% and it is clearly differentiated for clarity

TV licence comes to 150 Euro annually for every household which has an electronic device (TV , PC etc) the penalty for non payment is 500 Euro and I've had to pay that fine before.

We pay water tax here at 100 annually for every home.

It's time Nigerians realise if we don't want to depend on oil forever we have to start a system of taxation. How many people pay their property tax in Nigeria

You seem not to understand the situation. Nigerians having paying taxes before now but what have they gained from it? For example, Nigerians have been paying light bill for light they did not consume so why will they not want to pay SMS tax? They issue is that govt has been taking the citizens for a ride. If you give me 24hrs light like you have in Europe and tell me to pay whatever tax, in fact i will be tge first person to go and pay because I'm seeing the result. If i was govt, i will first of all earn the trust of citizens with the little i am getting before asking people to pay more.

4 Likes

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by superstar1(m): 3:41pm On Mar 27, 2016
Saintp:

You seem not to understand the situation. Nigerians having paying taxes before now but what have they gained from it? For example, Nigerians have been paying light bill for light they did not consume so why will they not want to pay SMS tax? They issue is that govt has been taking the citizens for a ride. If you give me 24hrs light like you have in Europe and tell me to pay whatever tax, in fact i will be tge first person to go and pay because I'm seeing the result. If i was govt, i will first of all earn the trust of citizens with the little i am getting before asking people to pay more.

I disagree.

The only people paying tax are the people with gainful employment. and corporate bodies. Even the corporate bodies under report their performances.

At best, others pay levies.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 27, 2016
Lemme still keep quiet. Don't know what to say just yet. sad lipsrsealed
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by coolscott(m): 3:45pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:

Nice question.
We can contribute 20bn per month for govt as at today because there is no one on planet earth that can dispute the fact that we have strong men of integrity and worthy character as Number 1 and 2 citizens of this blessed country. Once you get the leadership right, all other things will fall into place with time.

Taxation should not be our problem, Our problem should be for every increase in taxaion, the govt must enter into social contract that is and legally binding with its people, clearly stating what will be done within a time frame and if not done, the people also have the right to stop paying. Simple. That is building of trust between the governed and the governors.

Just 1 week outside the country will show you how much taxes people outside the country pay every month, why the govt does not joke with their welfarism of their people, while things appear to be working and why their populace are very much interested in their politics and governance matter.

Can you imagine one id1ot of a politician coming to my hood to be doling out public money after all and sundry have been taxed and he will not stoned or lynched to death?

I might be wrong. but we have taken this route that has led us to nowhere severally and it is better for us to change our tactics.

[size=13pt]1) I have thrown away all thoughts that Buhari is not corrupt. I have been forced to. Details of this should be put on another thread

2) It should not be you (a nobody in govt circles) proposing the social contract. It should be the govt itself, which clearly is not interested.

3) When elected into office, you already are in a contract with the people to do what is right and be 100% accountable and responsible with funds. This contract is the one that has perpetually been broken by the Nigerian leaders, as perpetually as the daily rising sun.

4) These leaders are still very much in power.

5) If Nigerians do not pay income tax (out of their earnings) they will not ask for accountability from the government. This they will psychologically accept it as an increase in MTN et al's charges, which the govt collects from MTN et al. There is no human collector face to interface with and associate the collection with. All they have is MTN et al, and they still don't interface directly with any collecting MTN staff.

6) How can citizens decide to stop paying? They cannot implement a stop to their paying. They've got no control over that. The service providers cannot stop the forced implementation of payment at that point when they are at the mercy of the govt. Any operator that does not implement and pay will face the threat of damagingly heavier fines and possible shut down

7) Finally, even if Buhari was straight (an idea which many reasons force us to discard presently) how come it did not stop the budget from being padded?

Conclusion we cannot play into the hands of calculated moves by thieves on the chessboard. The people who want this money, govt officials, are established thieves. And so I conclude with my earlier question...
[/size]

[size=22pt]Why should we contribute 20bn per month to these people when we know the looters of yester years are still very much on the ground?[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ezelos(m): 3:46pm On Mar 27, 2016
Why are we very heartless in this country?
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
it's a good idea and an excellent way for any government to generate funds, but the proceed would only end up for funding the luxurious lifestyle of our politicians.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by anigbajumo(m): 3:51pm On Mar 27, 2016
luvmijeje:
Hopefully the National Assembly will not pass this into law.

This is one of my issue with with this government. Before presenting this kind of suffering impacting bill there should be a National discourse. The Minister should be on every major news outlet informing us on the merit of the Bill and why every Nigerians should queue up behind it.

And u think people will listen in the present state of the economy??

This is not the right time to propose such bill.If there is proper and effective management,it will favor the masses.

Let wait and sew the voice of the house on it.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by kenny4one(m): 3:56pm On Mar 27, 2016
Flets:
Ha ha ha ha ha
Zombies. .... enjoy your change!!!!
Nigeria should enjoy the change while the suffering last.

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by SleekAboki: 3:57pm On Mar 27, 2016
freeze001:
Jokers! Completely clueless sadists! Lowlife, debased pond scum! Dead n soulless reptiles! That is what Sai buhari chanters voted into power.

Soon they will propose taxes for menstrual flow!
LOL
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by kabiyesi01: 4:01pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:

Are you okay at all?

Pained over what? Pained for booting out a corrupt government that has mortgaged the future of my children's children into the pockets of few people and ushering a person of integrity that inherited the consequences of past maladministration, looting of our national heritage etc.

You certainly do not live in Nigeria and so face the problem of wherever you are living. We do not have light. That stated in the 70s and not 2015.

I repeat, with taxation people will be more interested in politics and governance. It becomes hard for any useless politicians to stand in the middle of the road and be doling our sweats without being stones.

Are we where we should be. No. Are we on the right path? I strongly believe.

Anybody that is still pained that we voted out the corrupt, shameless ad clueless International Buffon can jump into the Atlantic. I will rather have a man of integrity as my President than a stealing is not corruption president.

Get a life.

Am not sure u r ok! You better see a psychiatrist, bicos all dis tins u r saying are balderdash.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ikechu: 4:03pm On Mar 27, 2016
We should be more concerned in appropriate use of the funds. Nigeria should be converted to a construction site and reduce our deficiencies in infrastructure.
As we are concerned about industrialisation, we should equally move towards tax service policy.

That is what is keeping UK today. They have moved from industrialisation to tax policy. For industrialisation can not last forever but tax will because the population will always be there. Issues with reduced revenue from commodities will be a thing of the past.

Some of us travel to US,UK,Dubai and other places and we pay taxes on hotels, food, communications, rechargeable cards and others,all over 12% added to the original amount.

PDF, ACCOUNTABILITY, AOL, LABOUR etc will all come and go but remain nigerians. We must develop our country with our tax and become stakeholders in governance. Our common good is the ultimate.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by superstar1(m): 4:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
kabiyesi01:

Am not sure u r ok! You better see a psychiatrist, bicos all dis tins u r saying are balderdash.

O n ma so oyinbo!!!! Egba mi.

Stop being mentally lazy. You are not texting your GF, so stop your shorthand format of communication, for you to have effective communication. That is what is called 'balderdash''.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by csbrown(m): 4:23pm On Mar 27, 2016
Come oo
Wart runsense...... Sorry...!!! I mean wat nonsense... Mr Fg, pls we longer want the change, keep the change.. Thank u don't mention

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by jojothaiv(m): 4:39pm On Mar 27, 2016
BlackTechnology:
Because of this Chain called Change they almost lagoon the Igbos.

#YorubasWhoVotedBuhariHaveBeenScammed
NOTED!
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by tomakint: 4:51pm On Mar 27, 2016
omenka:
Is that Joke Silva or Adeosun?? shockedshocked

Omenka my friend happy Easter Sunday to you
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Ovamboland(m): 5:00pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:
It is funny that we pay all the taxes outside the country and protest against them in our country.

Taxes make the citizens more interested in politics and governance. It makes them to hold their governments more accountable, because it is their sweat. People were less concerned in the past because the fund being looted was not from their pockets directly.

Taxation is the path to better governance. I strongly believe.

However, establishing this new set of taxes without the people seeing what you have done with newly introduced ones is insensitive and criminal.

Show us what you have done with Stamp Duty and we can trust you with more. FIRS and Presidency listen to the voice of the people.

Most sensible post on page one, however the stamp duty has been collected for only two months, you can't wait for a whole year to raise money to run the government. The analogy is an estate where everyone keeps money in their pocket, refuse to pay the estate dues leading to no salary for security men, cleaners etc. Insecurity, dirty environment, bad roads will be the order of the day, and no resident can complain to the management \association since you paid no dues
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Raskasal(m): 5:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
How can we pay communication tax when the recharge card we load is already VAT inclusive. This is pure extortion of Nigerians..

The govt officials communication are free, so they are somehow exempted. The masses are at the receiving end

We must not accept it
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Montaque(m): 5:06pm On Mar 27, 2016
sweetgala:

Why are Nigerians so against their civil obligations, you use a service and don't want to pay a tax contribution for it.

They don't want to pay TV bills either.

Come to UK / Ireland and you'll find out that your phone bill at the month end is subject to tax at round 27% and it is clearly differentiated for clarity

TV licence comes to 150 Euro annually for every household which has an electronic device (TV , PC etc) the penalty for non payment is 500 Euro and I've had to pay that fine before.

We pay water tax here at 100 annually for every home.

It's time Nigerians realise if we don't want to depend on oil forever we have to start a system of taxation. How many people pay their property tax in Nigeria
You r not in Nigeria.
So u can't tell us more about the situation on ground. Tax is paid where you are and you see the dividend. Here we don't even see the dividend of ordinary phcn(electricity) bill, sanitation etc.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by omenka(m): 5:09pm On Mar 27, 2016
tomakint:

Omenka my friend happy Easter Sunday to you
Wish you the same Tomakint. Come have some brandy.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ocelot2006(m): 5:09pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:
It is funny that we pay all the taxes outside the country and protest against them in our country.

Taxes make the citizens more interested in politics and governance. It makes them to hold their governments more accountable, because it is their sweat. People were less concerned in the past because the fund being looted was not from their pockets directly.

However, establishing this new set of taxes without the people seeing what you have done with newly introduced ones is insensitive and criminal.

Show us what you have done with Stamp Duty and we can trust you with more. FIRS and Presidency listen to the voice of the people.

And who told you we dont pay multiple taxes in this country, from VAT to PAYE, Land Use and so much more. For small to medium size businesses it is even way worse, yet they're expected to survive. With what? Keep in mind that personal earnings/wages are still stagnant or even slashed in some cases, yet you expect Nigerians to be comfortable with ADDITIONAL TAXES Thats sheer WICKEDNESS.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by emmykk(m): 5:27pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:

zombie on the loose
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by myola(m): 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2016
sweetgala:

How much do you get taxed from your income (percentage %)

Do you know what the VAT rate is ?

Do you meet your property tax obligations, road tax etc

If not you have no excuse, I live in a EU country solely dependent on tax

My car road tax is over 400 annually
I pay income tax at 26%
VAT at 23%
Water tax is 100 annually
TV licence 150 annually
Capital gains tax can be up to 30%

If you are an employer you are looking at even more taxes
but you don't run all aminities like water, electrivity, security by yourself, i think?
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by hucienda: 5:39pm On Mar 27, 2016
kenonze:
If that will improve the economy, they should go ahead
smh.. zombie
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by olandoboy(m): 5:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
ONE CHANCE GOVERNMENT,NIGERIANS WILL SURELY SUFFER
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by tomakint: 5:54pm On Mar 27, 2016
omenka:
Wish you the same Tomakint. Come have some brandy.
That "Brandy" will be replaced with a chill "Champagne" when that traitor, Saraki, is eventually kicked out grin
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Dumkele1: 6:08pm On Mar 27, 2016
chriskosherbal:
Well let both parties find a common ground on this issue for the benefit of the consumer.

Consumers will always bear the brunt
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Jascon4: 6:08pm On Mar 27, 2016
superstar1:

Nice question.

We can contribute 20bn per month for govt as at today because there is no one on planet earth that can dispute the fact that we have [b]strong men of integrity and worthy character as Number 1 and 2 citizens of this blessed country. [/b]Once you get the leadership right, all other things will fall into place with time.

Do you know those people personally to the extent of vouching for them?

Taxation should not be our problem, Our problem should be for every increase in taxation, the govt must enter into social contract that is legally binding with its people, clearly stating what will be done within a time frame[b] and if not done, the people also have the right to stop paying. [/b]Simple.

How do you stop paying when you simply have no control over it? Once implemented, the only way citizens can stop paying is if/when government decides to scrap/discontinue with the tax

That is building of trust between the governed and the governors.

Just 1 week outside the country will show you how much taxes people outside the country pay every month, why their govt does not joke with the welfarism of their people, while things appear to be working [/b]and why their populace are very much interested in their politics and governance matter.

Things don't appear to be working over there, things are clearly and undeniably working.

Can you imagine one id1ot of a politician coming to my hood to be doling out public money after all and sundry have been taxed and he will not be[b] stoned or lynched to death?

Nigerian politician stoned and lynched to death, with their trigger-happy and high-handed security aides? This is Nigeria, you should know how things work here.

I might be wrong. but we have taken this route that has led us to nowhere severally and it is better for us to change our tactics.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ibietela2(m): 6:10pm On Mar 27, 2016
kenonze:
If that will improve the economy, they should go ahead

You are not the ones paying your bills that's why...
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ajebuter(f): 6:25pm On Mar 27, 2016
freeze001:
Jokers! Completely clueless sadists! Lowlife, debased pond scum! Dead n soulless reptiles! That is what Sai buhari chanters voted into power.

Soon they will propose taxes for menstrual flow!

Add childbirth tax per child. Twins, triplet and quadruplet more.

Awon werey!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Niger Republic Celebrates Buhari’s 76th Birthday (Photos) / Dino Melaye Sings And Dances To The #StingyMenAssociation Anthem (Video) / Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.