Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% (37838 Views)

Fayose: FG Wants To Tax Nigerians To Death, Condemns Increase In Cost Of Data / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data & Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by bejeria101(m): 10:24pm On Mar 27, 2016
Alezy:
oga if u don't use the bank then leave this matter for those who use it. Do u kw how many people who make use of the bank everyday?? Then a direct taxation on thier pockets??

The worse part is u won't see what it will be used for. u travel and endanger ur life everyday cos of those dead roads, light is since dead and gone yet they increased its rate, people have been sacked from jobs and are struggling to eat 3 square meal. yet they still wanna tax them to their last kobo?? how wicked??

In the UK where they complain about high taxation? atleast u will see ur money working. An easy life for both the rich and poor.

They are just looking for means to loot since crude won't give em the required cash they need to loot. smh

What is 50naira you ask? Its 2.5b naira a day dats what it is,into a numbered a/c nt the TSA a/c,if that isnt corruption kindly tell me what is.

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Alezy(m): 10:30pm On Mar 27, 2016
bejeria101:

What is 50naira you ask? Its 2.5b naira a day dats what it is,into a numbered a/c nt the TSA a/c,if that isnt corruption kindly tell me what is.
I wonder oh... I just wonder what it zz

2 Likes

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by jaz(m): 11:38pm On Mar 27, 2016
For those who still doubt the veracity of the claims for 9% tax I can confirm to have reviewed the exposure draft and I tell you there some aspects even worse than the proposed 9% tax. Also, I assume we all know that all those services already incur 5% Vat. So do the maths

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 12:06am On Mar 28, 2016
EgheKenny:
My friend before you start blabbing, you conveniently forgot to tell us you did not construct a borehole in your house, you also conveniently forgot to tell us how much the minimum wage is, and all the other freebies that come along with your telephone line.

Freebies that come with my telephone line, lol you must think european telco companies are making a lot, I'd argue if these companies had a chance they'd rather hustle for the Nigerian market which is a pot of gold. I work in telecomes trust me the margins are too little to be giving freebies left right and centre.

My line rental, landline and broadband is 56 euro monthly and I barely touch the landline which can add to my bill if I use it too much.

I get access to a study hub, priority tickets to concerts and major sporting events and wifi connection to hotspots nationwide and that's it.

For the borehole, if you are a farmer in the middle of the countryside with no access to the council water line you would have your own borehole and sewage, that's the price of country life
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by solidman59(m): 12:09am On Mar 28, 2016
You forgot Ngeneukwenu
That one sef no de nl again
ibietela2:
No problem, bring it ON if true. so far as beremx Omenka Passingshot egift will survive this bill i will survive too.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 12:11am On Mar 28, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Have you heard of incidence of tax? Do you know that some of these taxable elements are service of neccessity? Do you remember when obj increased VAT that MTN increased their rates immediately

It's MTN right if the regulator gives them a permission to increase tarrifs and your right to cease a h contracts if there is a breach or stop to use said service.

Freedom to trade stimulates I can fix a price I want for my goods and you can decide to buy it or decline.

Government have a right to change VAT rates if they wish, we have a right to punish or reward them at the polls for doing so
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by mekaboy(m): 12:22am On Mar 28, 2016
Our lives are truly changing daily. From fuel to electricity to tax etc.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ofwest: 12:24am On Mar 28, 2016
See, Nigerians always want everything free, in my own case it is a very simple way of generating revenue for development. How many Nigerians pay direct taxes to the government cover. You are asked to pay just less than N5. for a call of _N50 so what is the big deal.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Tinyemeka(m): 12:49am On Mar 28, 2016
mfm04622:

How many times do you get deposits in a month? That is others pay into your account. How much is fifty Naira for God's sake! You all want Nigeria to develop without paying a kobo towards the development!

What do you do for a living? No offense.

Kindly answer my question then I'll give you a proper reply.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Tinyemeka(m): 12:55am On Mar 28, 2016
sweetgala:

Someone complained of being charged for bank transactions 50 naira, and I'm amazed because every time I use an ATM machine I get charged about 10 cents and I have a bank levy of 23 euro or so yearly. If I own a cheque book that's another matter.

If I use my bank card abroad on certain ATM machines or POS it's a 2-4 euro charge

Are you talking about bank-imposed or Government imposed surcharges?
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by mikolo80: 1:21am On Mar 28, 2016
Papasmal:
What is it with all this taxes....

Good road wil no get,

Food commodities 4 common man dey xpensive,

No fuel,

No employment..

No access to medical facilities...

Portable water no dey, Electricity nko..

See as this people dey xploit us...
and you all think these things fall from heaven. you pay for what you get. and no, oil money will not pay for these things. but make we see as anybody go vote based on tribe and sentiment when they've got skin in the game
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 2:07am On Mar 28, 2016
Tinyemeka:

Are you talking about bank-imposed or Government imposed surcharges?

All levies are government imposed by the regulator, I don't know of any banks here who can charge for a service without prior consent of the national regulator and EU.

When AIB charged every account in Ireland 1 euro it was made to refund every single penny because it did not have a right to do so. The regulators here weild big sticks and use them very often, I work in telecoms and can tell you of weekly fines I know of from the regulator. It's usually 5000 euro for minor infractions per incident.

Ever wonder why some business interests in UK want out of EU !
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by SycophanticGoat: 3:56am On Mar 28, 2016
nduchucks:
I personally do not see much wrong with this tax proposal.

The services we need from the government have above average costs per GDP than most other countries with similar population. We can no longer rely on oil revenues which breed laziness and monumental theft by the usual suspects.

We need to be willing to pay the price for the services and infrastructure we desperately need. A fraction of what you people pay for megabytes used to get on the internet, for primarily useless activities and trolling is a small price to pay.

Abi how do you people expect the government to replenish funds used to support programs such as the N500million grant for 1000 young professionals? Awoof don retire o; its a new day.

We don't need their useless and stewpid scam grant that one is required to pay 10k before getting. If it is because of the useless grant, then let him forget about the tax cuz we don't need it. GEJ ran his own programme and never collected a dime from the masses either directly or indirectly, so if mumuhammado mumuhary cannot simply get the political big wigs and business tycoons to donate to that cause, then he should forget about it rather than milking the masses dry.

May it never be well with every bigot that voted this soulless beasts of burden into power.. #spits
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by SycophanticGoat: 4:00am On Mar 28, 2016
mikolo80:
and you all think these things fall from heaven. you pay for what you get. and no, oil money will not pay for these things. but make we see as anybody go vote based on tribe and sentiment when they've got skin in the game

Pay for what you get in other countries and not this useless hell hole. All that we've been paying, what have we gotten apart from total blackout, fuel queue, no water supply, little or no security, high commodity prices, high dollar to naira rate, higher accident cases and deaths on our roads, dilapidated infrastructures, extra judicial killings by men in uniform, etc?
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by SycophanticGoat: 4:05am On Mar 28, 2016
Alezy:
oga if u don't use the bank then leave this matter for those who use it. Do u kw how many people who make use of the bank everyday?? Then a direct taxation on thier pockets??

The worse part is u won't see what it will be used for. u travel and endanger ur life everyday cos of those dead roads, light is since dead and gone yet they increased its rate, people have been sacked from jobs and are struggling to eat 3 square meal. yet they still wanna tax them to their last kobo?? how wicked??

In the UK where they complain about high taxation? atleast u will see ur money working. An easy life for both the rich and poor.

They are just looking for means to loot since crude won't give em the required cash they need to loot. smh

Tell them! The problem with these set of hypocritical people is that they all attacked GEJ even when he removed fuel subsidy which was beneficial to us all. That fuel hike of those days would have never amounted to all the sufferings Nigeria is facing presently under this wicked, heartless, nepotistic and vindictive government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Nobody: 4:07am On Mar 28, 2016
sweetgala:

It's MTN right if the regulator gives them a permission to increase tarrifs and your right to cease a h contracts if there is a breach or stop to use said service.

Freedom to trade stimulates I can fix a price I want for my goods and you can decide to buy it or decline.

Government have a right to change VAT rates if they wish, we have a right to punish or reward them at the polls for doing so

Government has right to increase vat but who bears the burden? Do you think these GSM operators wouldn't pass the burden to their customers,? What's the incidence of tax should all the operators pass should burden or share it? All these are considered before the government takes decisions. The only alternative which would have being Nitel since it's government isn't functioning. Would you agree to pay airtime voucher @ N120 instead of the normal N100.How many Nigerians are ready to pay
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Nobody: 4:11am On Mar 28, 2016
sweetgala:

.Mtn doesn't even need their approval to pass the burden of tax on her customers e.g obj saga when he was about leaving power
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Nobody: 4:19am On Mar 28, 2016
jaz:
For those who still doubt the veracity of the claims for 9% tax I can confirm to have reviewed the exposure draft and I tell you there some aspects even worse than the proposed 9% tax. Also, I assume we all know that all those services already incur 5% Vat. So do the maths
This is not Europe where they operate tax system and they get good results. This is Nigeria were one politician can squander the whole revenue derived from Pension not to talk of tax

1 Like

Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by kajoula(m): 6:47am On Mar 28, 2016
saintgwizard:
Another tax?

We understand that the government is gasping for breath, but must it take away the breath of the masses to survive? Can't they look for ways to deal with the root causes instead of always attacking the symptoms.

This government self
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by justvictor57(m): 6:52am On Mar 28, 2016
freeze001:
Jokers! Completely clueless sadists! Lowlife, debased pond scum! Dead n soulless reptiles! Godforsaken vagabonds! That is what Sai buhari chanters voted into power.

Soon they will propose taxes for menstrual flow!

this your insult nobi here o.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by mfm04622: 7:33am On Mar 28, 2016
Alezy:

Governance is a contract between the leaders a citizens. The contract call for citizens to pay taxes while govt collect and use taxes for the common good. We have no moral authority to complain that govt is not fulfilling her own part of the contract when we have not performed ours! Let me pay our taxes and hold govt to use it well. Those developed nations we envy paid to get their nation to that state. We should be ready to do same
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by sweetgala(m): 7:39am On Mar 28, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Government has right to increase vat but who bears the burden? Do you think these GSM operators wouldn't pass the burden to their customers,? What's the incidence of tax should all the operators pass should burden or share it? All these are considered before the government takes decisions. The only alternative which would have being Nitel since it's government isn't functioning. Would you agree to pay airtime voucher @ N120 instead of the normal N100.How many Nigerians are ready to pay

The government have a duty to regulate, like a gentleman said onon channels over the weekend a competition law does not exist in Nigeria and that in itself would ensure we have fair prices.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ocelot2006(m): 7:43am On Mar 28, 2016
superstar1:

How is payment of VAT or Payee or land use charges double taxation? They all served different purposes. Our VAT is one of the lowest in the world. Payee is being paid all over world.land use charge is being paid all over the world under different nomenclatures.

I will rather pay more tax, which will reduce my disposable income if i am assured of good roads, electricity, good hospitals, potable water, security and better education.

The cost of providing all that on my own out weighs the tax i should have paid in multiple folds.

Read my post again, I said MULTIPLE TAXES, VAT and co inclusive. And yes I know that they're being paid across the globe. But tell me, do countries tax their citizens for every bank transaction & now for both voice, SMS & bearer (data) services?
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Ovamboland(m): 8:44am On Mar 28, 2016
luvmijeje:

I agreed. The government should focused on taxing those that are not being taxed.

Nigerians are already paying highly for recharging their lines and buying of data.

Call and data rates is actually cheap compared to say UAE, and some other small countries
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by tinktanker: 9:05am On Mar 28, 2016
Na d zombies will still following zombirously
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Ovamboland(m): 9:06am On Mar 28, 2016
honorbule:
If I should own one of the telecommunications company, i'd fire all my staff and move to another country.

Banana, you will abandon a potential market of 150 million and go compete in a 3million market, that's why you can't build such a business. Vodacom is still licking it's wound for ignoring the Nigerian market allowing the formerly nondescript MTN rocket past it to number one
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by ibietela2(m): 9:30am On Mar 28, 2016
solidman59:
You forgot Ngeneukwenu
That one sef no de nl again

Damn, maybe he switched to the other account cleverly
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by DrDxtrz: 9:46am On Mar 28, 2016
If the collected taxes would be judiciously utilized, most Nigerians wouldn't be so disturbed.
You all weren't bothered when its Oil money they done steal, now it's yours.
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by PrettyGaby(f): 9:47am On Mar 28, 2016
Hahaha. OK naah. Na back to letter method. # change
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by Ovamboland(m): 10:12am On Mar 28, 2016
Saintp:

You seem not to understand the situation. Nigerians having paying taxes before now but what have they gained from it? For example, Nigerians have been paying light bill for light they did not consume so why will they not want to pay SMS tax? They issue is that govt has been taking the citizens for a ride. If you give me 24hrs light like you have in Europe and tell me to pay whatever tax, in fact i will be tge first person to go and pay because I'm seeing the result. If i was govt, i will first of all earn the trust of citizens with the little i am getting before asking people to pay more.

What percentage of the government budget in the past years was funded with resources from the Nigerian people, I think this is about to make us more serious and ask for account on government spending. You will hardly have people willing to defend looters even if they are from same family
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by honorbule(m): 10:21am On Mar 28, 2016
Ovamboland:

Banana, you will abandon a potential market of 150 million and go compete in a 3million market, that's why you can't build such a business. Vodacom is still licking it's wound for ignoring the Nigerian market allowing the formerly nondescript MTN rocket past it to number one

Agbalumo who told you that's where i'd invest?
Re: Fg To Tax Voice Calls, Sms, Mms, Data And Pay Tv At 9% by honorbule(m): 10:21am On Mar 28, 2016
Ovamboland:

Agbalumo, who told you that's where i'd invest?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Army Clears 7 Vilages Of Boko Haram Terrorists (photos) / Atiku Abubakar Launches Online TV As New Channel Of Campaign / Fayose Ties Wrapper To Present Car Keys To Best Teachers In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.