Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters (28433 Views)

Mambilla Hydro Project, Fashola To Sign Contract Today / 2017 Budget: Reps Ask Fashola To Explain N20bn Miscellaneous Expenses / Fashola To Discos: Nobody Forced You To Buy Power Assets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by omohayek: 1:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
Mister2:
Distribution is at the bottom of the problems we have in the power sector. The key issue in our power industry is generations. The DisCos does not own power plants and therefore can only supply power to consumers once they have procured it from GenCos. Metering at the consumption level is largely for accounting purposes; so it doesn't have a strong correlation with power supply improvement. Even the transmission grid, operated by the TransCo, have a much stronger effect on power supply improvement than the distribution network and consumption metering.

Nope, that is incorrect. The gencos are already able to provide more power than the discos can transmit. Take a look at this Economist report for more info.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21693971-nigeria-has-about-much-electricity-edinburgh-problem-powerless

and this official paper from the Nigerian government

http://www.nesistats.org/uploads/3/6/3/6/3636925/20150916_nigeria_energy_power_report_final.pdf

according to which

Today, Nigeria has 12,522MW of installed capacity, but due to maintenance,
gas, water and transmission constraints, an average of only 3,879MW of capacity is
operational (January to 15 August, 2015)
and
Nigeria’s transmission system has the capacity to transmit ~5,300MW but
is disrupted by system collapses and frequent forced outages.
In other words, the installed generation capacity is already more than 2 times the distribution capacity.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by Nadoson1(m): 1:11pm On Mar 29, 2016
Seems this people thought us to be ILLITERATES, so meter now generates power abi? but if i'm not mistaken, we learnt that the device called METER is just a MEASURING INSTRUMENT and nothing else then i don't know that MEASURING DEVISE now generates power. if so, i am going to sell off my GENSETS & buy MEASURING METERS to power my village.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by Nobody: 1:11pm On Mar 29, 2016
omohayek:

Nope, that is incorrect. The gencos are already able to provide more power than the discos can transmit. Take a look at this Economist report for more info.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21693971-nigeria-has-about-much-electricity-edinburgh-problem-powerless

http://www.nesistats.org/uploads/3/6/3/6/3636925/20150916_nigeria_energy_power_report_final.pdf

according to which

and

In other words, the installed generation capacity is already more than 2 times the distribution capacity.

While I don't think we can generate 12000MW....the transmission system IS messed up....and needs replacing.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by OlujobaSamuel: 1:17pm On Mar 29, 2016
gabbytabby:
Fashola correct please we need meters right now.

.@olujobasamuel I am not sure that the problem is not that you are not keeping abreast with developments in this area cos the discos have not been accepting power from the grid and sending arbitrary billing to customers for services not rendered. With the meters no light no kobo for them, transformer breakdown, wire falls down and all the shenanigans they keep pulling means at least no one is robbing it in my face and sending all this their useless bill.

EFCC suppose probe them for the fraud.
I get you sir, but they are still distributing fixed charge and estimated billing.
Also, the 300000 is nothing close to many, so his opinion on that is flawed.
I hope he will get it right. That's why I said I love his will, but sometimes, his decision is like a derailing train, you can't stop it until it reaches a clog, by then, the havoc is always better imagined than experienced.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by MrImole: 1:25pm On Mar 29, 2016
This man is overrated.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by Mister2: 1:25pm On Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for providing those links; will go through the contents when I'm disposed.
omohayek:

according to which

and

Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by ashjay001(m): 2:02pm On Mar 29, 2016
Aieboocaar:
well, hope those meters will be solar-powered or even with batteries cos me wey get meter i never even see my bulb blink for days now.

At least u don't get to still pay for un-used light. Sorry fixed charge still dey applicable.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by cilom14: 2:09pm On Mar 29, 2016
Prepaid meter is in the interest of the masses. It enables you to have value for your money.

With disco estimated bill in Surulere, I used to pay between N21k-24k every month whether there is light or no light. With prepaid meter, I now pay average of N5K per month, which has even reduced further down due to erratic supply nowadays.

Provision of prepaid meters is a step in the right direction.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by kinibigdeal(m): 2:43pm On Mar 29, 2016
The only way to improve power according to Fashola is to increase NEPA bills and distribute more meters undecided

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by alaskido(m): 2:44pm On Mar 29, 2016
Baba Fash, Is it the 300,000 meters that will improve our power supply? I bulb never blink for 1 month now. Na me and generator coupled with scarcity of fuel dey battle every day.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by alaskido(m): 2:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
These politicians at times behave as if they did not attend a secondary school not to talk of a university.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by adeoba2008(m): 2:50pm On Mar 29, 2016
Baba Fash will not fail in Jesus name.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by chinchum(m): 3:31pm On Mar 29, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

I get you sir, but they are still distributing fixed charge and estimated billing.
I hope he will get it right. That's why I said I love his will, but sometimes, his decision is like a derailing train, you can't stop it until it reaches a clog, by then, the havoc is always better imagined than experienced.
I think your understanding is deficient.
Any discos still distributing fixed charge must be called out, my disco IBEDC has stopped from february. No one can give estimated billing on a PRE PAID METER.

\With a prepaid meter, every households will learn to conserve power usage in their homes, thereby freeing up power for others more than the status quo. That bulb in your sitting room you leave on at daytime will most likely be switched off when you are connected to a prepaid meter. Instead of consuming say 50kwh, if you consume 35kwh, that 15kwh you conserved becomes available for others.

300,000 prepaid meters added to what is currently on ground is a lot, judging by the seeming scarcity of the prepaid meters, though i sense the scarcity is artificial.

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by jojo1man(m): 4:16pm On Mar 29, 2016
How is the meter going to help electricity? Do they come with generator? How are you going to increase electricity when you don't know what you will generate tomorrow? If dirty too much for soup blind man go come know.
We don they open eye, soon una go they play una self
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by purplekayc(m): 4:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
why can't him just explore other avenues of poer supply like wind turbines and nuclear reactors?
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by persius555(m): 4:55pm On Mar 29, 2016
Finally. This is the BRF we want to see.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 29, 2016
omohayek:

By forcing the discos to only charge for what they actually deliver. This will provide a much stronger incentive for them to upgrade their distribution infrastructure, whereas they could just sit back and collect flat-rate fees without the meters.

Well said.

Nothing quite like a person who has his brain switched on to logic and not tribal hatred/party bias mode.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by jpphilips(m): 5:15pm On Mar 29, 2016
Xclusivegrin007:
– Babatunde Fashola has secured the release of 300,000 electricity meters belonging to PHCN

– The minister of power, works and housing says the meters were locked up in a warehouse due to a legal battle

– Fashola says he hopes the large volume of meters would be used effectively Discos

Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, has disclosed that he has secured the release of about 300,000 electricity meters which belonged to defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) but were locked up in a warehouse because of a lingering legal case against the contract for their procurement.

According to The Indpendent, Fashola made the disclosure in a YouTube question and answer webinar in Abuja on Monday, March 28.

Fashola says he has ensured the release of 300,000 meters to help boost power supply.

The minister said he hopes that the large volume of meters would be put to good use by the electricity distribution companies (Discos) in the country.

He explained that the contract for the procurement of the meters was awarded by PHCN in 2003 but that legal actions instituted by parties in the contract had stalled their eventual deployment to homes in the 11 electricity distribution networks since then.

According to him, that case had been settled out court and alternative settlement reached by the parties. He said this would ensure that the warehouse where the meters are kept would be opened and they deployed.

In the same vein, the Federal Government has announced plans to add 2,260 megawatts to the national grid with the approval of 14 solar projects.

Fashola said during a meeting with French minister of environment and power, Mrs S Royal at the conference room of the ministry in Abuja, that the project would soon commence as the financial agreement has already been approved.

Source: https://www.naij.com/780224-war-poor-power-supply-fashola-makes-new-move.html

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by ifex40: 5:41pm On Mar 29, 2016
for chris sak this man na lawyer his not an eletrician. he does not understand what he was saying.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by gabbytabby: 6:31pm On Mar 29, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

Part of the problem Hon Fashola has is that the discos are no longer a government agency but they do have a regulatory role.

I read all the time about their limitations but the discos then need to move past that and tell us how they intend to find solutions. Granted that the discos need government might to overcome some like the sabotage issue. There needs to be a joint working document specifying who does what and the timelines.

It is not sufficient to say we expect there to be a resolution in 3 years time. A buy in needs to include timelines to 3 years time.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by fitinwell: 7:43pm On Mar 29, 2016
[size=18pt ]Mayb dis top guys.. Do not understand the full meaning of total blackout or epileptic power failure.. because of dey do.. Dis boo wont be mentioning 300,000 customers metering.. But 300,000mw power distribution. #My opinion [/size]
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by ollyruffy: 8:22pm On Mar 29, 2016
APC has no answers to the problems of this country.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by Sirpc(m): 8:58pm On Mar 29, 2016
londoner:
Can someone explain how the 300,000 Meters will improve the supply of electricity?
Thanks.

The use of prepaid meters eliminate unnecessary wastage of energy as one will be conscious of their energy usage.

Secondly, it will subject the DISCOs to sit up some how. Because, if there is no supply, the meters will not read; hence, no payment/revenue generation for the company.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by jedidiahComp(m): 9:17pm On Mar 29, 2016
Aieboocaar:

I no sure o, but e bi like d meter go dey use Tiger battery cry
wait make i call fashola ask am
;->
I'm very sure that one day, the incident that happened to Nigeria NITEL will soon happen to PHCN, IBEDC or NEPA of a things in Nigeria
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by ebenholer(m): 10:45pm On Mar 29, 2016
Aieboocaar:

I no sure o, but e bi like d meter go dey use Tiger battery cry
wait make i call fashola ask am
No, the meter will be powered by generators but no fuel for filling station though
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by ebenholer(m): 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2016
Sirpc:

The use of prepaid meters eliminate unnecessary wastage of energy as one will be conscious of their energy usage.

Secondly, it will subject the DISCOs to sit up some how. Because, if there is no supply, the meters will not read; hence, no payment/revenue generation for the company.
Thanks for d analysis, but as PHCN/NEPA or ikedcompany or any name they bear is concerned, metering can never be d priority for now if we want to be honest, and beside those meter may even be fake ones now, as there is even legal tussle on it so to say. I guess they were procured out of corruption. fix light for us and leave meter issue. When we have light, no one will be reluctant to pay for it, as it will be bringing income for everyone's pocket.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by hero2000: 11:40pm On Mar 29, 2016
omohayek:

By forcing the discos to only charge for what they actually deliver. This will provide a much stronger incentive for them to upgrade their distribution infrastructure, whereas they could just sit back and collect flat-rate fees without the meters.

Your comment is extremely intelligent!
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by anyaekekehinde(m): 11:40pm On Mar 29, 2016
omohayek:

according to which

and

That is the problem with power sector, if you are not in it, everything will look simple to you.
Those figures that you see here are just norminal name plate installed capacity. Many of those power plant cannot run more than 60% efficiency even if there is gas (for the Steam Turbine and Gas Turbine), Dams are full(for hydro turbine), and distribution system to evacuate the power, for example they will say the installed capacity at kainji is 760MW, but how much of these 760MW can they get, even when the dams are full and the governor control system can run the plant smoothly hardly will you get 400MW, because of several issues ranging from Old turbines, capability of the Generator Transformer to evacuate power from the generator etc.. Even if they fix generation, transmission still have huge infrastructural challenge and the current grid cannot evacuate more than 5000Mw efficiently( currently the technical loss on the grid is above 25%)
Finally, from your analogy, due to Nigerian socio-economic state (and also criminal propensity), there is always a downside to metering, because when the meters are tampered with (like what many Nigerians do) , energy accountability will be poor, revenues will be poor and the power system value chain will become more illiquid.
Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by mapet: 11:53pm On Mar 29, 2016
Teenaira:

mayorkyzo: :
What's the use of meters when there's no electricity to power them..these people should just stop this useless propaganda and get to work...we don't need meters we need light...

Sir, I don't totally agree with you. Infact, on the contrary, I am very sure that the only reason why we don't have power supply is because prepaid meters are not installed. The truth is that private establishment don't joke with their REVENUE. If prepaid meters are installed and they know they can not get FREE MONEY again, they will use any means, known and yet to be discovered to ensure their is power. Please quote me any where. If Fashola and indeed Nigerians want light, let us force the Discos to install meters. This will be one miracle we are performing as you will notice a tremendous increase in power supply and we won't hear stories of sabotage of power related equipments again. I tell you sir everything, that needs to be done will be done to provide power.

@Teenaira,

Trust NLers to argue their ignorance so openly............. my additions to yours are these
1. Provisions of meters is one of the fundamentals in the terms of engagement between the Discos and the consumers. Fashola is forcing the Discos to provide meters to all consumers and even threatened that consumers who don't have meters should/would not pay the Discos if they fail to meet up with the terms
2. Just like you said, the Discos are also sitting pretty on estimated bill, grossly cheating the consumers. Even if power generation drops, the Discos can rely on regular income from the estimated-bill-paying consumers. I am fortunate to have a card meter, I load 20k and it probably last long time, especially when power is erratic. My neighbours in the same estate recieves over 20-25k in monthly estimated bill (I had recieved 26k twice). A resident said he wrote to Ikeja Disco to come disconnect him till they can provide meters, as he cannot be paying for service not provided
3. We rely on unprofessional, naive and myopic bloggers as source of news. Many of these bloggers are do not even understand the technicalities and business/commercial issues, constraints and frameworks in the discussion on power. They just pick bits and write incoherently. I would have expected NLers to pick up these anomalies, but many of the NLers are even worse............

1 Like

Re: Fashola To Release PHCN Electricity Meters by mapet: 11:54pm On Mar 29, 2016
kaeforum:
Since 2003 thats 13yrs ago, most of those meters will be defective by now, if they are analog rust must have consumed most if them, if they are digital, they must be malfunctioning now, what a wasteful country.

The man doesnt know what hes doing. grin

Ka sha wipe iwo na soro........?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fact Check: Time Magazine Cover Featuring Peter Obi Is Fabricated - Reuters / Why Buhari Fired AMCON MD, Mustafa Chike-obi - Premium Times / Drama In Court As Kanu's Case Adjourned Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.