Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11198) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11660931 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11195) (11196) (11197) (11198) (11199) (11200) (11201) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:18am On Sep 17, 2021
Lol.... Slander, My good man? Nah... Don't misinterpret and read too much into the terms "give in".

He gave in to the temptation to stop Napoli's flow in that one moment whether by hook or crook. Lol
And he was already on a yellow card. Remember that.

He had a choice to not pull on that player but he did. It was in the middle of the pitch. Ndidi just made the wrong choice in that one instant and the momentum was clearly with Napoli. That foul was Ndidi's way of trying to kill that momentum.
Leicester were on the back foot trying to close out the game seeing Napoli were trying to go for the kill with a winner.

He had a very decent game. His stats still stand strong despite the red but he got red carded and it was the right decision unfortunately.

Ndidi is my guy. Even the devil knows that. I have endured and battled proper Slander on the lad. You should know that.

So biko, don't give new meaning to the word "slander". When you see Slander, you will know. No be person go tell you. Hahahahahaha grin

TheLoneCitizen:

Great analysis, but I actually don't agree that Ndidi imploded due to the shift in momentum as the reason behind his sending off.

Ndidi was red carded in that game because the referee wanted to assert control over that game.

In the 18 minutes between Osimhen's two goals, a foul was committed every two and a half minutes, compared to every 5 and a half before Osimhen's goal.

Despite this only one yellow was shown. After Osimhen's goal the ref handed two more.

Ndidi's attempted tug on Ounas (he didn't even catch him) at the halfway line was a free kick, nothing more.

Ndidi was carded because the ref was getting irritated at the escalating nature of the game not because Ndidi could no longer handle the intensity.
He had a teriffic game so no slander is allowed.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 12:24am On Sep 17, 2021
You are so disrespectful! Who is this one?
Subzero047:

This one still dey watch now grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:33am On Sep 17, 2021
Subzero047:

Gattuso's Napoli never passed the ball that well

I think you're overreaching here, mate, there's actually no difference in playing style whether eye test or statistically between Gattuso's Napoli and Spalleti's.

The main difference here is change in mentality.

Last season, Gattuso never substituted Insigne when Napoli weren't winning, only once in 42 games, when they were losing 3-1. No matter how badly Insigne plays only injury will force Gattuso to remove his talisman.

So I was surprised when at 2-1, Spalleti subbed off Insigne with 16 minutes to go. He did the same thing against Juventus when the score was 1-1.
Which means in just 4 games, he has outdone Gattuso in ruthlessness.

This is good for Osimhen because he will understand that if he doesn't perform, this manager will not pamper him.

Another one. When Osimhen partied in Nigeria last season and contracted covid, Gattuso criticised him fairly then later tried to downplay it. Spalleti has shown that he doesn't tolerate indsicpline.

This season, when Osimhen was sent off, even when the media defended him, Spalleti blasted him for the red card. To show that the red card wasn't worth it, his ban was lifted, but Spalleti never defended him.

Another good lesson for Osimhen.

There's nothing different about defeating Juventus at home, they did that to a better Ronaldo-manned one last year.

There's nothing different about outpassing an heavily altered Leicester side, they never went behind home or away against a better Real Sociedad side in last year's Europa League without Osimhen.

The main difference is the mentality and this is where Osimhen will better his game.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:40am On Sep 17, 2021
The Super Eagles' Three Musketeers in the UEL: A Triumvirate Top performance

Honestly, Watching:

- Osimhen finish the game with 2 goals from 3 shots on target + 3 shots off target, 3 chances created, 100% passing accuracy, 100% dribbling success (4/4 - Highest in the game), plus dropping a world class all-action well rounded Center forward Performance,

- Iheanacho finish the game with an intelligent assist, 3 chances created, 90% passing accuracy, all from a deeper striker/AM hybrid role,

And...

- Ndidi finish the game with 10 recoveries (highest in the game), 5 interceptions (highest in the game), 100% dribbling success, and 89% passing accuracy...

......fuels my excitement even higher ahead of the Afcon.

The Super Eagles are coming and set to fly again when it truly matters. cool #HopesUp

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:41am On Sep 17, 2021
Okay then, I thought you were insinuating that the game became too fast for Ndidi and he caved in under pressure.

It was a tactical/professional foul and not a stonewall yellow, Ounas was going no where. The ref used his own discretion so as to control the game yet his decision is very contentious. He knew a 92nd minute red wouldn't affect the balance of the game.

Ndidi is 100% absolved.

TheSuperNerd:
Lol.... Slander, My good man? Nah... Don't misinterpret and read too much into the terms "give in".

He gave in to the temptation to stop Napoli's flow in that one moment whether by hook or crook. Lol
And he was already on a yellow card. Remember that.

He had a choice to not pull on that player but he did. It was in the middle of the pitch. Ndidi just made the wrong choice in that one instant and the momentum was clearly with Napoli. That foul was Ndidi's way of trying to kill that momentum.
Leicester were on the back foot trying to close out the game seeing Napoli were trying to go for the kill with a winner.

He had a very decent game. His stats still stand strong despite the red but he got red carded and it was the right decision unfortunately.

Ndidi is my guy. Even the devil knows that. I have endured and battled proper Slander on the lad. You should know that.

So biko, don't give new meaning to the word "slander". When you see Slander, you will know. No be person go tell you. Hahahahahaha grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:48am On Sep 17, 2021
Exactly. It was a tactical foul. He needed to do it to stop or drown out the Napoli momentum. Even the Great Pep Guardiola encourages the use of such tactics by his lads to stop opponents in the middle of the pack. Simeone and Mourinho are also masters at it.

And Ndidi was on a yellow. The Napoli Player was making or was about making good progressive invasion into the Leicester Half and got hacked down. Definitely worthy of a yellow and unfortunately, that yellow came on top of a previous yellow and that is why he got sent off. Nothing to debate much about that from my end. It still doesn't dent his good showing.

TheLoneCitizen:
Okay then, I thought you were insinuating that the game became too fast for Ndidi and he caved in under pressure.

It was a tactical foul and not a stonewall yellow. The ref used his own discretion so as to control the game yet his decision is very contentious. He knew a 92nd minute red wouldn't affect the balance of the game.

Ndidi is 100% absolved.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:59am On Sep 17, 2021
From my own observational POV, this is truly so spot on.

Well said Citizen. 100% well observed.

TheLoneCitizen:

I think you're overreaching here, mate, there's actually no difference in playing style whether eye test or statistically between Gattuso's Napoli and Spalleti's.

Last season, Gattuso never substituted Insigne when Napoli weren't winning, only once in 42 games, when they were losing 3-1. No matter how badly Insigne plays only injury will force Gattuso to remove his talisman.

So I was surprised when at 2-1, Spalleti subbed off Insigne with 16 minutes to go. He did the same thing against Juventus when the score was 1-1.

This is good for Osimhen because he will understand that if he doesn't perform, this manager will not pamper him.

Another one. When Osimhen partied in Nigeria last season and contracted covid, Gattuso criticised him fairly then later tried to downplay it. Spalleti has shown that he doesn't tolerate indsicpline.

This season, when Osimhen was sent off, even when the media defended him, Spalleti blasted him for the red card. To show that the red card wasn't worth it, his ban was lifted, but Spalleti never defended him.

There's nothing different about defeating Juventus at home, they did that to a better Ronaldo-manned one last year.

There's nothing different about outpassing an heavily altered Leicester side, they never went behind home or away against a better Real Sociedad side in last year's Europa League without Osimhen.

The main difference is the mentality and this is where Osimhen will better his game.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:13am On Sep 17, 2021
Tom Dele-Bashiru made the Skybet/EFL Championship Team of the Midweek.

As you all already know, he bagged a fine Brace in Reading's 3-1 win.

My Full midweek Naija Players report drops on Friday so until then. wink

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:40am On Sep 17, 2021
An Anjorin moment of magic

Check out 19 y/o Faustino Anjorin's 89th min stunner to rescue a point for 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow in their UEL group stage game vs Marseille at home.

Check from 8:27...

What a way and a moment to score your first club goal.

Note: He came off the bench on 63mins. First goal for the Moscow Giants in only 38mins+ of football for his new club across two games now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypq05VewDsE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 1:54am On Sep 17, 2021
Melvinity:
Nacho still knows how to play 10 o... Those passes he kept on dishing was so eye catching
Yes I said that weeks ago, that's his most preferred position. He should play behind Osimhen and Moffi as 2 front men.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 5:21am On Sep 17, 2021
Kelechi best traits are Clinical finishing and creating chances. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have the stamina, strength, passing ability to play as a number 10, and he is best utilized as an 8 or support striker. You want your best chances to fall to kelechi because he is a clinical Finisher. For now, iwobi or Nwakali are the best options as a 10.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:54am On Sep 17, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
An Anjorin moment of magic

Check out 19 y/o Faustino Anjorin's 89th min stunner to rescue a point for 10-man Lokomotiv Moscow in their UEL group stage game vs Marseille at home.

Check from 8:27...

What a way and a moment to score your first club goal.

Note: He came off the bench on 63mins. First goal for the Moscow Giants in only 38mins+ of football for his new club across two games now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypq05VewDsE

Is dis guy not a no 10...can't we give him a look in?..I av noticed him to b a decent player from his cameo appearances 4 chelsea ,instead of waiting for ebere and d oda reading guy?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:56am On Sep 17, 2021
fabyom:
You are so disrespectful! Who is this one?

Guy I dey play with you grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 6:58am On Sep 17, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

This Napoli side's passing was better I'm not talking about the substitution or the mentality

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lloydtruth: 7:20am On Sep 17, 2021
With consistency, Osihmen should be preparing himself for the African Footballer of the year in a year or two.

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dymusty86: 8:01am On Sep 17, 2021
orriyomi33:
TheSupernerd will be so pleased.
You fa? Are you not pleased?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 9:06am On Sep 17, 2021

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:14am On Sep 17, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
From my own observational POV, this is truly so spot on.

Well said Citizen. 100% well observed.

Thank you, mate, we learn from you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:17am On Sep 17, 2021
Subzero047:

This Napoli side's passing was better I'm not talking about the substitution or the mentality

I don't think you watched Gattuso's Napoli a lot, hence the discredit. But your opinion, mate and I respect that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:18am On Sep 17, 2021
nairalandankrah:
Osimhen has left not a few tongues wagging

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/09/17/victor-osimhen-looks-like-liverpools-perfect-divock-origi-alternative/

I knew this would happen, English and Turkish media are very fanatic.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:32am On Sep 17, 2021
12large1:
Kelechi best traits are Clinical finishing and creating chances. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have the stamina, strength, passing ability to play as a number 10, and he is best utilized as an 8 or support striker. You want your best chances to fall to kelechi because he is a clinical Finisher. For now, iwobi or Nwakali are the best options as a 10.

I don't understand sir, how can Iheancho's best trait be creativity, yet he doesn't know how to pass?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:34am On Sep 17, 2021
12large1:
nwakali ko
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:36am On Sep 17, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Tom Dele-Bashiru made the Skybet/EFL Championship Team of the Midweek.

As you all already know, he bagged a fine Brace in Reading's 3-1 win.

My Full midweek Naija Players report drops on Friday so until then. wink
both goals were something else
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:38am On Sep 17, 2021
TheSuperNerd:
Osimhen: Air Victor Truly Takes off in 21/22

OSIMHEN walked into England.... into the midlands, into the Kingpower and walked out A King. cool

[b]He leaves England tonight with his name on the lips of every English fan and journalist who saw the game. Now they will understand the Hypes. grin[/b]he should come to man United next season

He does have a thing for playing against English sides. Even his first UCL goal and top performance came against another English side in Chelsea.

Osimhen is a player several of the top English clubs will now covet after such a super Commanding showing against one of their own AGAIN!

The Monster Machine is cooking. My Boy, My man, My Monster is Balling.... and season is still young. We move...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:20am On Sep 17, 2021
Victor Osimhen up for the UEL POTW for Match day 1

Osimhen has been nominated for the UEL Player of the week for the first round of group stage matches.

Do well to cast your votes. Follow the links below. ..

Via twitter:
https://twitter.com/EuropaLeague/status/1438785838146629634?s=19

Via browser:
https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/player-of-the-week/#/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:31am On Sep 17, 2021
Victor also nominated for UEL GOTW

Victor Osimhen is also in the running for the UEL Goal of the week.
His first strike selected as one of the best four in the first round of games in group stage action.

Follow the links below to vote (same site, just different pages. You will see the two titled page clicks side by side):

Via browser: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/goal-of-the-week/#/

Via Twitter:
https://twitter.com/EuropaLeague/status/1438772491460153344?s=19

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:43am On Sep 17, 2021
Recap: Osimhen on the lips and prints of every English fan and media house

Just like I said it will be grin

An extract below from the independent.co.uk's Match report by Dylan Terry:

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/leicester-napoli-result-europa-league-osimhen-b1921712.html

Victor Osimhen is a sensational number nine

Even before his goals this evening, Napoli striker Victor Osimhen had turned the heads of everyone inside the King Power. His pace, strength, intelligence and work rate were to be admired as he led the line superbly for the Italian outfit.

That’s before you even get to his quite breathtaking finishing. The interchanges between him, Insigne and Ruiz for the first goal were something to behold. And the stupendous leap for his second was a show of world class quality.

He is living up to his billing as the most expensive African footballer of all time following his move from Lille for €70 million in 2020. And at just 21 years old, this remarkable young talent looks set to go right to the top of European football.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 17, 2021
God bless Osimhen.
A fan's special moment is that moment Osimhen ran over to the Napoli fans to capture their euphoria and celebrate a sensational last minute goal.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:48am On Sep 17, 2021
charlesemeka85:

But una go dey in the battle queue for the inevitable Haaland transfer saga of summer 2022. How many mad strikers una wan get? grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:54am On Sep 17, 2021
Beloved3:
God bless Osimhen. A fan's special moment is that moment Osimhen ran over to the Napoli fans to celebrate after a sensational last minute goal.

Link below captured it beautifully...
https://twitter.com/NoContextNapoli/status/1438613039692107785?s=19

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 10:57am On Sep 17, 2021
TheLoneCitizen:

I don't think you watched Gattuso's Napoli a lot, hence the discredit. But your opinion, mate and I respect that.

I watched both teams and I know Spalleti's team are better passers undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 11:03am On Sep 17, 2021
comodo:

Insigne will never give him something to attack. Even when he just needs to send the ball across the face of the goal. Rather he will cut back to do his insgine goal. Nonsense and selfish insigne. Soon spalleti will put him up for sale.
. That one is just so selfish for my liking. Even lozano. How can u not cross .if only politano will see how good to cross like nerd rightly stated. I believe the coach must have sounded that warning because a normal politano will cut and shot.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11195) (11196) (11197) (11198) (11199) (11200) (11201) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: yemyke001(m), Marjoribanks, zicky(m), lbrichman2, sojious and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.