Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,809 members, 7,862,680 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:07 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11942104 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1143) (1144) (1145) (1146) (1147) (1148) (1149) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:57am On Jun 18, 2017
I am not caught in any dilemma. Don't even think of making it a thing of emotional allegiance coz that is so lame.

I still maintain that Nacho is best utilized and in full beast mode when played behind the striker as a no.10 (AMF) or in partnership with another as a no.8 (SS) But.....

...... I am also open-minded to the fact that Nacho has shown good enough impressions as a no.9 and thus cannot be termed "Useless".

" Useless" is a huge and heavy word to use on a player who took the EPL by storm playing as a no.9. It is not fair on the lad. You saw my analysis on Nacho vs South Africa and I bashed him too.... but calling him useless is way off the mark.

And the day you or anybody call Iwobi "Useless" or "rubbish", then you will know that Iwobi's attorney is around. I guarantee it. Just do so. And Alex was not in Nacho's shoes all game. He had his own battles to fight out wide... Iwobi is still one of the top ballers and Super class acts of the team. That day was just bad for all our players... sad day but we dust ourselves up and move the hell on.

And who is scared of having you pull out what I said when I have always and always called Nacho a super hybrid? smiley

I am not denying my stance but only stating that a fair analysis be given concerning Nacho. Terming him useless is the height of you ignoring what he still brings as a no.9 even when that is not his best/finest/most influential position.

P.S. : Even my first post quoting you saw me mention again my stand on Nacho's best/most influential position. Take a look back at it. My points and angle of discussion are put in perfect perspective here.

goldfish80:

If only poor Alex had a defence attorney who tried to prove he made good runs in the game but passes weren't finding him, I would have exhausted a week arguing how terrible a game he had.

I have always said from day 1 that Kelechi is not best utilised as a lone forward but in a strike partnership, he will be good as a second striker. You even share the same view with me. After the Algerian game, I recall you argued against TheGoodJoe that Kelechi is better playing as SS.
Today somehow you're caught in a dilemma, you're caught in the middle of supporting your friend TheGoodJoe or standing firm on your belief.

Yes, the Internet never forgets. I can pull out your earlier affirmations that Kelechi is better as SS.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:10am On Jun 18, 2017
More news from few days back..... Success set to return.

Watford's Success Makes Himself Available For World Cup Qualifier Against African Champions

Watford frontman Isaac Success has made himself available for Nigeria's World Cup qualifier against Cameroon if he is called up by manager Gernot Rohr.

The former Golden Eaglets sensation would have made his competitive debut for the senior national team against South Africa this past weekend, but had to pull out of the squad after failing to recover from a groin injury he sustained just before the end of last season.

''Isaac Success is nearing full fitness and has promised he will
honour the next call-up if he is invited by the coach,'' a top source close to the Hornets number ten told
allnigeriasoccer.com .

''He started training with his former team in Nigeria this week, he wants to be fully fit before he returns to Watford for pre-season training.''

The 21-year-old Success made his international bow versus Senegal in London three months ago.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23427
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:26am On Jun 18, 2017
News from June 16 on Ahmed Musa's transfer ish....

Transfer update: West Bromwich Albion track striker; Leeds United man is no longer a priority; Centre-back on the radar
By Gregg Evans

West Bromwich Albion are keen on Leicester City’s Ahmed Musa but their interest in Leeds United left-back Charlie Taylor has cooled.

The Baggies want to focus their attention on signing a new striker and also strengthening their centre-back options which is why Taylor is less of a priority.

And after learning that Musa wants to stay in the Premier League, and would be open to a move away from the King Power Stadium, Albion are now weighing up a move.

Musa got married this week and is said to be enjoying living in England.

He would command a fee of around £15million but Leicester still hope to recoup as much of the £18million that they paid out for him last summer.

Talks with Taylor are said to have stalled despite the Baggies making good progress in their pursuit.

Source: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-update-west-bromwich-albion-13196481
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:32am On Jun 18, 2017
More from June 16 on Ahmed Musa transfer update......

Fenerbahce set to offload Emenike, target Musa
By Festus Abu

Ahmed Musa

Nigeria winger Ahmed Musa could be set to replace compatriot Emmanuel Emenike at Turkish powerhouse Fenerbahce during the summer .

Former Super Eagles forward Emenike, who played more of a bit - part role at the Super Lig side last season , scoring just four league goals , has been reportedly offered a chance to kick - start his flagging career by his former club Spartak Moscow .

Reports on Thursday said the Yellow Canaries manager Aykut Kocaman , who guided Fenerbahce to a third - place finish in the Turkish top flight last season , was preparing to show Emenike ( 30) , former Arsenal captain Robin van Persie ( 33 ) and Senegal striker Moussa Sow ( 31 ) the exit door at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium during the summer transfer market .

According to Turkish outlet Dogan News Agency , the Istanbul giants are hot on the trail of South Africa 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner Musa, who failed to live up to the expectations of the Leicester supporters after the Foxes smashed their club transfer record to land him from Russian giants CSKA Moscow on a four- year deal for a fee believed to be around £ 16 . 6 m last summer .

Musa, 24 , who scored only two Premier League goals in seven starts , is also said to have a huge question mark is hanging over his future at the Premier League side as Leicester ’s newly - appointed boss Craig Shakespeare is combing the market for attackers including Sampdoria forward Luis Muriel .

Fenerbahce are also targeting England international Jamie Vardy , 30, who struggled throughout last season .

However, reports say Shakespeare will only allow Musa and Vardy leave if huge offers are made for their services .

Meanwhile, Leicester have announced their first signing of the summer after defender Harry Maguire completed his £ 17 m move from Hull City .

The Foxes beat off competition from a number of other clubs to land the highly - rated 24 - year - old , who passed a medical on Wednesday .

Maguire becomes the first signing of Shakespeare’s tenure as City manager after agreeing a lucrative five- year contract .

The centre - back said it was during a meeting with the City boss that he was convinced his future lay at the King Power Stadium.

Source: http://punchng.com/fenerbahce-set-to-offload-emenike-target-musa/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:40am On Jun 18, 2017
Arsenal’s Young Player of the Year Revealed. Who Will it be Next Season?

Although he dropped out of the first team towards the end of our recent campaign, taken overall, 2016/17 was a successful breakthrough season for Alex Iwobi.

Alexander Chuka Iwobi, still only 21 years old, made 38 appearances in all competitions last season, 25 of them coming with him in the starting 11.

Overall, he made a good impression, especially on Alexis Sanchez, who recently rated Alex as the best young player at Arsenal.

Iwobi only scored four goals last season which has to be an aspect of his game that he needs to work on as an attacking player–not that he’s alone there!

Arsene Wenger will be acutely aware of Alex’s development, of how he needs to push on over the next 12 months, and how Arsenal’s transfer business in the summer must be executed so that it doesn’t hamper that development. It’s a fine balancing act for Arsene as Iwobi could become a really important player for us next season.
A young player can grow enormously in just a year and Wenger will not want to stunt that growth by bringing in players who could block off and frustrate a football education, that, in Iwobi’s case, is at a crucial stage.

That priority, however, has to balanced against the here and now. Arsene knows only too well the clamour he faces for new signings this summer in what is possibly his most important transfer window since 1997. At the same time, Wenger will always try to develop home made talent.

Of course, Iwobi’s situation isn’t helped by the unnecessary, selfish and rather crass comments coming from within the Nigerian Football Association, where certain officials in that organisation have urged Alex to leave Arsenal to get more game time. Fortunately, Alex is surrounded by more sensible people at Arsenal who are advising and guiding him towards a long term and fruitful career rather than allowing him to be swayed by the short term needs of a national team coach.

Alex has been the breakthrough story of 2016/17. Who is going to be the next player to take that giant stride for Arsenal in 2017/18?

With Wenger looking to move on as many as eight players this summer and not wanting to bring in more than three or perhaps four new signings, there must be opportunities for two or three youngsters to establish themselves in the senior squad this coming campaign.

Jeff Reine-Adelaide, still just 19 years old, spent most of last season–in fact the last two years–in and around the senior squad, gradually growing and maturing. He had only six appearances with five starts last season but this could be his time. Arsenal playing in the Europa League should, in the early games at least, offer “The Jeff” the opportunities to showcase his talents and he’ll likely get more game time in other competitions even if it’s only from the bench.

Reine-Adelaide has all the attributes to be a top player. All he needs are minutes on the pitch, and, with the upcoming double of Europa League and League Cup matches to look forward to, he should enjoy a lot of exposure.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles, also 19 years old, spent 2015/16 on loan at Ipswich Town, where he made a good impression, despite his mother. Last season he was retained at Arsenal, making seven appearances and slowly being integrated into the senior group. Maitland-Niles has now been told by Wenger that he has been promoted to the first team squad permanently.

That–and his recent success as part of England’s U20 World Cup winning squad–should set AMN up for a breakthrough season. Ainsley could well find himself sharing a central midfield spot in both the Europa League and League Cup competions alongside more senior figures like Francis Coquelin and Mohamed Elneny, especially as it appears that Santi Cazorla may not being available until late October or early November.

Maitland-Niles is a flexible player who has played in various midfield positions as well as at right back. If Arsene continues the three-at-the-back experiment which served so well at the tail end of last season, it could be just the catalyst for Maitland-Niles to establish himself.

With Krytian Bielik being lined up for another season on loan, the two above are my strongest tips to follow in the footsteps of Alex Iwobi. I suspect that Chuba Akpom, Dan Crowley and Gedion Zelalem will be off on loan again, whilst the future of Chris Willock still remains uncertain.

But that’s just my opinion. Maybe there are those among you who avidly follow the academy and have some tips of their own. If so, let’s have them.

OK chaps, that’s ya lot.

by Allezkev

Source: https://bergkampesque.com/2017/06/14/arsenals-young-player-of-the-year-revealed-who-will-it-be-next-season/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:46am On Jun 18, 2017
On Kelechi Nwakali.... viewpoint from an Arsenal fan/keen follower......

Pony Eye says:

June 15, 2017 at 10:45

I forgot to include Kelechi Nwakali. I don’t know about his work permit status. Kelechi is a wonderfully well rounded player, a super athlete. Tackles, dribbles, vision, all ranges of passes, pace, shots, balance, rhythm, just name it, he’s got them all. He reminds me of Paul Pogba maybe with slightly better potential at same age. There is no weakness in his game. 3 yrs from now he will be a commanding presence in the Arsenal team.

Source: https://bergkampesque.com/2017/06/14/arsenals-young-player-of-the-year-revealed-who-will-it-be-next-season/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:46am On Jun 18, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I am not caught in any dilemma. Don't even think of making it a thing of emotional allegiance coz that is so lame.

I still maintain that Nacho is best utilized and in full beast mode when played behind the striker as a no.10 (AMF) or in partnership with another as a no.8 (SS) But.....

...... I am also open-minded to the fact that Nacho has shown good enough impressions as a no.9 and thus cannot be termed "Useless".

" Useless" is a huge and heavy word to use on a player who took the EPL by storm playing as a no.9. It is not fair on the lad. You saw my analysis on Nacho vs South Africa and I bashed him too.... but calling him useless is way off the mark.

And the day you or anybody call Iwobi "Useless" or "rubbish", then you will know that Iwobi's attorney is around. I guarantee it. Just do so. And Alex was not in Nacho's shoes all game. He had his own battles to fight out wide... Iwobi is still one of the top ballers and Super class acts of the team. That day was just bad for all our players... sad day but we dust ourselves up and move the hell on.

And who is scared of having you pull out what I said when I have always and always called Nacho a super hybrid? smiley

I am not denying my stance but only stating that a fair analysis be given concerning Nacho. Terming him useless is the height of you ignoring what he still brings as a no.9 even when that is not his best/finest/most influential position.

P.S. : Even my first post quoting you saw me mention again my stand on Nacho's best/most influential position. Take a look back at it. My points and angle of discussion are put in perfect perspective here.

There's a difference between playing as a no 9 and a lone striker. You still don't get it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:47am On Jun 18, 2017
He played lone striker a couple of times for City and still delivered the goods on certain occasions. So He is not Useless.

goldfish80:

There's a difference between playing as a no 9 and a lone striker. You still don't get it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:49am On Jun 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The problem is you saying USELESS as a lone striker. Haba. That is so off tangent that someone can miss road in Ojota.
Yes he's absolutely useless playing as a lone striker. He's not blessed with the body and strength to hold the ball up and fight 2 CBs on his own.
I have no problems with him paired up with someone in a twin strike force.
I hope it sinks in this time.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:50am On Jun 18, 2017
To be clearer... when I said he still does good as a no.9... I also mean as a target man or as the lone striker, as he has done a good couple of times for City.

goldfish80:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 9:51am On Jun 18, 2017
My preferred formation and lineup against Cameroun.

Ikeme

Omeruo......Balogun.....Ekong....Echiejile

Onazi

Mikel

Moses. Iheanacho. Aluko/Musa.

Kayode.

That's my preferred formation (4-2-3-1),what do you think Elders?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:52am On Jun 18, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
He played lone striker a couple of times for City and still delivered the goods on certain occasions. So He is not Useless.

Having a good game here and there in such a role does not mean that's his most favorable position.
Just like when Fabregas was played as a 9 by Barcelona. It doesn't mean he's not useless in that's position leading the line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:55am On Jun 18, 2017
He still adds "Absolutely" *smh*

Time will prove you wrong shaa. Nacho scored goals for City and delivered the goods on a good number of occasions playing as a lone striker and you now take the notch up another level terming him being "absolutely useless"....

Do you think playing with your back to goal, and hold up plays are the only things a lone striker should have? Even in hold up plays Nacho did bring in Etebo for that best chance of the first half. A few journalism reports admit that his hold up play was fair.... not bad. But seriously you think those two qualities are all a lone striker needs?

goldfish80:

Yes he's absolutely useless playing as a lone striker. He's not blessed with the body and strength to hold the ball up and fight 2 CBs on his own.
I have no problems with him paired up with someone in a twin strike force.
I hope it sinks in this time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:58am On Jun 18, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
More news from few days back..... Success set to return.

Watford's Success Makes Himself Available For World Cup Qualifier Against African Champions

Watford frontman Isaac Success has made himself available for Nigeria's World Cup qualifier against Cameroon if he is called up by manager Gernot Rohr.

The former Golden Eaglets sensation would have made his competitive debut for the senior national team against South Africa this past weekend, but had to pull out of the squad after failing to recover from a groin injury he sustained just before the end of last season.

''Isaac Success is nearing full fitness and has promised he will
honour the next call-up if he is invited by the coach,'' a top source close to the Hornets number ten told
allnigeriasoccer.com .

''He started training with his former team in Nigeria this week, he wants to be fully fit before he returns to Watford for pre-season training.''

The 21-year-old Success made his international bow versus Senegal in London three months ago.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23427
I feel this guy would be better than Simon, Simon held the ball well, dribbled but no incisive runs no end product. if we had a winger with a good end product we'd have created chances and put their defense into panic mode even if our midfield wasn't supplying any good ball we could have made use of the flanks.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:59am On Jun 18, 2017
@bolded... now you are the one not getting it. Who is talking about his most favorable position?

Haven't I already tackled, spelt out and Explained that Nacho's best/finest/most influential position is as a no.10 or no.8??

So why taking me back to "most favorable position"?

We are talking " Is Nacho useless as a lone striker?? Has he or has he not delivered the goods on a good number of occasions as a lone striker??"

That is the issue here... not most favorable position.

I have already said what his best positions are but I am not blind to the fact that he also delivers the goods in a less favorable position.

goldfish80:

Having a good game here and there in such a role does not mean that's his most favorable position.
Just like when Fabregas was played as a 9 by Barcelona. It doesn't mean he's not useless in that's position leading the line.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:01am On Jun 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Please, you played Organized football. When there is a highline, there is a lot of space at the back and the best way to utilize it is to get well timed runs into that space.

Or in your organized football, there is no space behind a highline?
cheesy

It will be difficult for a striker to beat that high line and offside trap. Even when he does, the keeper is usually trained to keep an eye out and play the sweeper role.
That is why you need a big striker to hold the ball up and flick to very quick wingers and midfielders to run into the space left.
That is how to break down such a setup.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:09am On Jun 18, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
@bolded... now you are the one not getting it. Who is talking about his most favorable position?

Haven't I already tackled, spelt out and Explained that Nacho's best/finest/most influential position is as a no.10 or no.8??

So why taking me back to "most favorable position"?

We are talking " Is Nacho useless as a lone striker?? Has he or has he not delivered the goods on a good number of occasions as a lone striker??"

That is the issue here... not most favorable position.

I have already said what his best positions are but I am not blind to the fact that he also delivers the goods in a less favorable position.

He has been entirely anonymous for the Super Eagles as a lone forward.

Against Tanzania, he had a good game and scored a tantalising goal, I think cnn goal of the week. Odion Ighalo provided a foil for him that day and he had time and space to take shots.

Zambia, he played top with Ideye and influenced the game in the first half and got a goal. When Ideye left the pitch, he barely touched the ball till final whistle.

Senegal friendly, he came alive when Kayode or was it Success came on. Prior to that he was anonymous.

Algeria, he didn't do anything to influence the game. I can't recall him doing something really threatening as a lone striker on the day.

The less said about South Africa the better.

Togo*( nobody watched that came so can't say)

Corsica*

Against Leicester City, he touched the ball just 13 times before being substituted. On the day he played as a lone striker. Huth and Morgan easily isolated him without breaking a sweat.

So yes, I still stand by my assertion that he's useless as a lone forward.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:20am On Jun 18, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Please, the runs came. Looking at the above, you say the runs never came. Maybe you watched another game. If Nacho dropped deep, what happens. Let me explain to you.

The striker drops deep to help buildup plays. (this was not a problem because we got the ball to the point of given the final ball repeatedly) after dropping deep and exchanging passes, the next thing is for the striker to make piercing runs right. As he makes those piercing runs, we still need someone to make the right final balls.

We are back to square one. We did not have someone in midfield making accurate final balls. The runs made after the build-up will prove ineffective because no accurate final balls.

There was no need dropping to help build-up because Iheanacho was already making the right runs. Just get someone in the right position to make the right balls. With Mikel Obi, we would have slaughtered the South Africans in that set up.

So talking playing organized football does not change anything. You guys are also calling for the same wrong call Rohr made. An attacking change was not the solution. We needed to sort the midfield.

you missed the point. I said he was making runs for passes that never came against an organized defence, you are acting as if Nacho is a clone, doesn't he know how to think outside the box? you have been saying X=2 since why don't you try X=-2 and see if it works?!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:29am On Jun 18, 2017
No need calling out the games one by one. I know the positions he played for each game. smiley

Against Corsica, I saw a large part of the game myself. But it is sad no highlights exist for it except the less than two mins clip provided by The Radio Corsica page on Facebook which everyone else took and posted on their channels on YouTube and shared on twitter by a few.

No need telling you what I saw of Nacho as a lone striker that day because you won't believe me. You didn't see the game as much as I did.

On Togo... we didn't even see the game or see the highlights. So that alone is what you will use to knock that game out of the discussion.

But reports has it from different quarters and various sources which spoke about the Togo game that Nacho was menacing upfront... had a couple of shots on targets which drew good saves from the goalie and did good in opening up for passes from midfield. But hey! no video evidence.

Against Corsica... From the less than two mins video, it was clear Nacho was impressive enough even though that didn't tell the whole story. The large part of the game I saw showed Nacho's contributions to even setting up his team mates twice for very good opportunities. He also had a close shot saved by Penneteau after the keeper rushed out and narrowed the angle from where Nacho got the ball and tried to place it beyond the keeper. Nacho was impressive as the lone striker. It is a pity those matches were not shown to all for easy public view.

Against Algeria... Lemme cool on that. We have been there before.

Against South Africa.... I already gave the thread what I saw. He was below par but cannot shoulder the bulk of the blame for it. The Midfield was damn poor and just didn't click on the day.

And Finally... overtime... Nacho has shown again and again at Man City that as a lone striker he still strives.... it is not his best and most influential position but he still delivers the goods in that role as a lone striker no.9. He is not blessed with the muscles and strength to play with his back to goal... But he improvises the best way he can and he still finds a way to shine in that role.

Kelechi is not Useless as a lone striker... there are more games establishing this fact as against just The Algeria and South Africa games you hold onto so much.

Besides... against Algeria... his movements and high pressing were menacing and Leekens also said so. For the South Africa game, you keep quoting Baxter... and what he said. But you refuse to honor Leekens' words... That man said, "Kelechi was one of the reasons we lost to Nigeria". Well, putting it in good context.... Go figure.... wink

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/13/algeria-coach-iheanacho-made-it-easy-for-victor-moses-to-punish-our-defence/

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/11/14/algerian-journalist-explains-how-iheanachos-movement-disorganised-algerias-defence-for-moses-to-pounce/

goldfish80:

He has been entirely anonymous for the Super Eagles as a lone forward.

Against Tanzania, he had a good game and scored a tantalising goal, I think cnn goal of the week. Odion Ighalo provided a foil for him that day and he had time and space to take shots.

Zambia, he played top with Ideye and influenced the game in the first half and got a goal. When Ideye left the pitch, he barely touched the ball till final whistle.

Senegal friendly, he came alive when Kayode or was it Success came on. Prior to that he was anonymous.

Algeria, he didn't do anything to influence the game. I can't recall him doing something really threatening as a lone striker on the day.

The less said about South Africa the better.

Togo*( nobody watched that came so can't say)

Corsica*

So yes, I still stand by my assertion that he's useless as a lone forward.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:47am On Jun 18, 2017
Kelechi Nwakali To Spend Pre-Season With Arsenal Ahead Of Loan Move

Nigeria U20 international Kelechi Nwakali is being tipped to be farmed out on loan for the second consecutive season.

In his assessment of Arsenal's 35 young professionals, Gunners youth-team guru Jeorge Bird has predicted that the Flying Eagles skipper will return to London for pre-season ahead of a loan move.

''After excelling on loan in the Dutch second tier with Maastricht last season, another spell elsewhere seems likely for the talented Nigeria youth international,'' Jeorge Bird said.

''Firstly, though, he could spend pre-season with Arsenal.''

The 19-year-old Nwakali is not yet qualified to be granted a work permit in England based on the transfers fees Arsenal paid to secure his signature from Diamond/ASJ Academy, and has yet to debut for the Super Eagles.

He experienced first team football last season, making 33 appearances in the Dutch second tier for MVV Maastricht, including the playoffs.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23455
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:59am On Jun 18, 2017
bossto:
My preferred formation and lineup against Cameroun.

Ikeme

Omeruo......Balogun.....Ekong....Echiejile

Onazi

Mikel

Moses. Iheanacho. Aluko/Musa.

Kayode.

That's my preferred formation (4-2-3-1),what do you think Elders?

I think it is still too early to make a starting list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:02am On Jun 18, 2017
Chelsea RWB/RB Moses The Only BJ Foundation Super Eagles Player Absent From Mikel's Wedding

Chelsea right wing back Victor Moses was the only product of BJ Foundation, with caps for the Super Eagles, that was absent from the wedding of Porto midfielder Mikel Agu on Saturday.
Mikel tied the knot with his longtime girlfriend Henrietta Omoriege Ogochukwu at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Asaba on Saturday, June 17.

His former teammates at the Benin City-based club Isaac Success (Watford) and Elderson Echiejile (Monaco) plus former Nigeria U23 captain Erhun Obanor were sighted at the venue of the wedding reception, Swiss Spirit Hotel & Suites Mardezok.

The event was attended by family and friends, and Super Eagles Team Secretary, Dayo Enebi Achor is thought to have represented his employers, the Nigeria Football Federation.

Moses skippered BJ Foundation at several Youth Sports Federation of Nigeria(YSFON) organized tournaments and was the main man for them when they won the Oba of Benin Cup.

The Chelsea star spent four years at the academy before relocating to the United Kingdom.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23453

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:04am On Jun 18, 2017
Way too early I tell you.... wink

I pray all our players are fit and available when the periods of camping and the games come around so that Rohr can have the full complement of the squad from which he will choose his best XI or by extension, Best XVIII for the Cameroun Battles.

Icon4s:

I think it is still too early to make a starting list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:05am On Jun 18, 2017
Chelsea Defender Tomori : I Never Imagined Winning The World Cup & Going Up With Brighton

Chelsea wonderkid Fikayo Tomori has admitted that he never thought that he would win the Fifa U20 World Cup and help Brighton & Hove secure promotion to the English top-flight in the same season.

The central defender joined the Seagulls in the January transfer window and went on to make nine appearances in the Championship, before starring in South Korea as the Young Lions won the World Cup for the first time in their history.

''At the beginning on the season I was just playing for the under-23s and wasn’t sure if I was going out on loan,'' Tomori told Brighton and Hove Independent.

''But to then go up with Brighton and win the World Cup, it’s something I never would have imagined.

''It was very beneficial (Albion loan spell). Being part of a promotion-winning side gives you confidence.

''Even though I didn’t play as much as I would have liked to, I still played a part in it.''

The Canadian-born Fikayo Tomori was 18 when he made his professional debut for Chelsea in their 1-1 draw with Leicester City on the final day of the 2015-2016 season.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23450
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:14am On Jun 18, 2017
Nigerian Eze Scores Third League Goal As RoPS Win In Finland
By James Agberebi

Nigerian forward Emeka Eze was on target for RoPS in their 2-0 home win against FC Inter Turku in the Finnish top flight clash on Saturday.

Eze put RoPS 1-0 ahead in the 61st minute.

Simo Roiha got the winning goal in the 90th minute to give RoPS the win.

The goal was Eze's third in 10 league appearances for RoPS this season.

Another Nigerian forward, Philip Njoku, was an unused substitute for Inter Turku.

The win means RoPS are now 10th on 15 points in the 12-team league table, while Inter Turku are fourth.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nigerian-eze-scores-third-league-goal-rops-win-finland/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:18am On Jun 18, 2017
Mickael2:

you missed the point. I said he was making runs for passes that never came against an organized defence, you are acting as if Nacho is a clone, doesn't he know how to think outside the box? you have been saying X=2 since why don't you try X=-2 and see if it works?!

Simple answer to the question. Get a player that can give better passes and it is solved. Not any reinvention of the team's set up or an attacker thinking out of the box. The space was behind the defence of the South Africans. Just get someone who can utilize Nacho's runs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:21am On Jun 18, 2017
Ekpo : Confed Cup Experience Will Give Cameroon Edge Over Super Eagles
By Izuchukwu Okosi

Former Super Eagles midfielder Friday Ekpo believes the FIFA Confederations Cup which got underway in Russia on Saturday will make Cameroon a tough nut to crack when they play against Nigeria in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers in August, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Indomitable Lions will play their first game of the tournament on Sunday against South American champions Chile.

"The Confederations Cup in Russia is a massive advantage to Cameroon before they play Nigeria," Ekpo told Completesportsnigeria.com. "They (Cameroon) will be playing against top teams in the tournament and that is the kind of preparation that will make them difficult to beat.

"The Cameroonians also played some good friendlies. Nigeria only played Corsica and Togo, not the quality of teams we should be playing.

"Another thing I want to point out is that we seem to pay too much attention to our opponents. Ironically they don't seem to do the same. I don't know if it is the Nigerian press or something. South Africa, Cameroon and the other World Cup and Africa Cup of Nations opponents should be scared of us not the other way round.

"I have not read much about Cameroon talking too about the matches against Nigeria. They are preparing with far better preparations for the fixtures."

Ekpo added that a few more experienced players are needed in the Eagles fold.

He said: "The team that played against South Africa lacked leaders. The team cannot discard experience no mater what. Even in the Nigerian Professional Football League, there must be one or two quality players who have been around for a while that can be good addition to the national team."

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ekpo-confed-cup-experience-will-give-cameroon-edge-super-eagles/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:25am On Jun 18, 2017
goldfish80:

It will be difficult for a striker to beat that high line and offside trap. Even when he does, the keeper is usually trained to keep an eye out and play the sweeper role.
That is why you need a big striker to hold the ball up and flick to very quick wingers and midfielders to run into the space left.
That is how to break down such a setup.

Iheanacho beat the highline and offside trap repeatedly with acres of space to cause damage. Unfortunately the keeper did not need to do any thing but wait for the overweight passes to come to him. Simply put, if Mikel was there, we would have destroyed him. So talking all these are storyland.

Sterling has played against a highline and played fantastically. Suarez plays the nine role and does not need to hold up play with body strength. Instead he uses intelligence and trickery.

I guess you have not heard of Giuseppe Rossi who despite his small stature and lightweight can play as a lethal lone striker.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:43am On Jun 18, 2017
A Piece written in honor of JJ Okocha, Africa's most gifted Player/footballer of all time as today marks 15 years since He stormed the EPL with Bolton...... smiley

BOLTON WANDERERS PLAYER PROFILES: Jay-Jay Okocha - So good they named him twice

Fifteen years on, Eddie takes a look at how Okocha became a Wanderer.

By EddiesKelly @eddieskelly

Seven time Nigeria n footballer of the year, Ronaldinho's mentor at PSG, a member of Pele's FIFA 100 list and arguably one of the greatest free agents Bolton Wanderers ever signed.
Of course, it's the one and only Jay-Jay Okocha.

It may not seem like it, but today marks fifteen years since Augustine "Jay-Jay" Okocha became a Wanderers player. Back then, Wanderers had just finished 16th in the 2001/2002 season. Keeping an eye on the World Cup in Asia, Big Sam was looking for a player to elevate Wanderers up the league. It was one thing to stay up, but Big Sam definitely had loftier ambitions.

The signings of Bruno N'Gotty and Youri Djorkaeff the season before had confirmed that. To sign Djorkaeff, a World Cup and Euros winner with France, was like pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
With Okocha, it was like turning water into wine.

After Nigeria had been knocked out in the group stages, Big
Sam set up a meeting at Charles de Gaulle airport to convince Okocha to join Bolton.

As Allardyce states in his autobiography: “I started the usual spiel. We're not the most fashionable club... dah dee dah...but we have got Youri Djorkaeff”.

Okocha replied “I know I want to come to Bolton”.

A deal was done at the airport, and Okocha promised to travel to Bolton the next day to sign the paperwork. You'd assume a high profile player like Okocha would have flown there, with representation in tow. Well, he didn't.

Jay-Jay drove all the way from Paris to Bolton, got straight out of his car and signed. Legend.

Despite having a debut to forget (he was hauled off at half time during a 4-1 defeat to Fulham ), Okocha's first season in English football was hugely successful. Okocha scored seven times in 32 games as Wanderers stayed up on the final day of the season.

Memorable highlights from the 2002/2003 season include his thumping solo effort against West Ham. Okocha mugged off
Joe Cole, ran sixty yards and blasted it into the top corner. Superb.

Another highlight was the showcase of his skills against an incredibly strong Arsenal side at The Reebok. After Wanderers had come from 2-0 down to tie up the game, Okocha made Ray Parlour look foolish with an outrageous rainbow flick at the corner flag.

Okocha also scored the goal to confirm Wanderers' safety against Middlesbrough in the final game of the season. He even got Big Sam dancing on the pitch.

And then there was his trademark celebration. You'd be lying if you didn't try replicating this in the school playground during break times.

Due to the departure and retirement of club legend Gudni Bergsson, Okocha was appointed as captain in his place in 2003.

Even though Okocha didn't score a league goal in the 2003/2004 season, it was his electrifying performances in the League Cup that helped Wanderers reach the final in 2004.

Okocha scored three times, including that unbelievable free kick against Aston Villa in the Semi-Finals. It was those performances that earned Okocha a PFA Players' Player of the Year nomination. Wanderers also finished 8th in the Premier League that season.

The 2004/2005 season was one to remember. Okocha scored seven times as Bolton finished 6th in the league, qualifying for the UEFA Cup for the first time in the club's history. Quite possibly the best season in my lifetime (that I can remember), the Bolton team was brilliant. Playing alongside Okocha were Gary Speed, El-Hadji Diouf, Stelios, Ivan Campo, Bruno N'Gotty, Vincent Candela and Fernando Hierro.

Big Sam's ability to attract high quality players to The Reebok was astounding.

Add to that club stalwarts Jussi Jaaskelainen, Ricardo Gardner, Kevin Nolan and Kevin Davies and you have the best Bolton team in decades.

At the time, the team didn't get the recognition they deserved. All you see now is articles complimenting how good that side was. Back then, it seemed taboo for another football fan to pay Bolton a compliment.

You will never see a better team built like that with so many quality free agents. Never again.

Okocha's last season as a Wanderer was a historic one for the club. Bolton embarked on their first ever European campaign, reaching the last 32 before being knocked out by Marseille.

After Wanderers finished the 2005/2006 season in 8th place, Okocha departed on a free to join Qatar side Qatar SC.

When you think of the greatest ever players for Bolton, for me, Okocha is second to Sir Nat Lofthouse.

Looking back, it's incredible to think a footballer like Okocha played for Bolton. I was only seven when Okocha joined, so I didn't comprehend how much of a big deal it was.

It's hard to put into words just how good Jay-Jay Okocha. Captain, leader, legend.

Source: https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2017/6/18/15762178/jay-jay-okocha-so-good-they-named-him-twice-bolton-wanderers-fifa-nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 12:51pm On Jun 18, 2017
Need pre- and regular season to start so as to get our players into shape ahead of our crunch encounter against the Lions of CM. All hands need to be on deck.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2017
Aside this three, Ech, 1/2Balogun and Ekong who do you guys think we can count on as strong back ups in the defencive roles prior to our game against CM?

*note: pls don't mention any of these players whose allegiance are still in question I mean the prospective ones-the ainas & co*

cc: Sirs Icon4s, tbaba, Kog45, Jobie, Danycrusoe, TheSuperNerd, Enomakos, Goldfish80, Mickael, Danniya11...

(1) (2) (3) ... (1143) (1144) (1145) (1146) (1147) (1148) (1149) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Tessyy1701, mostob(m) and 14 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.