Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,224 members, 7,836,073 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11514) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11783893 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11511) (11512) (11513) (11514) (11515) (11516) (11517) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 5:21am On Nov 02, 2021
2lola:
sad

rohr and pinnick wants Awoniyi to represent Germany because I don't see any reason why Awoniyi in his current form should be omitted and why pinnick can't ensure Awoniyi is cap tied to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 5:44am On Nov 02, 2021
COOL10:

Exactly. It's obvious most Nigerians don't like him. He already shut a lot of people up by being the highest goalscorer at the last AFCON. He has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone.

He will not be the highest goal scorer. He won't even be a starter.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 5:50am On Nov 02, 2021
ChrisKels:
Imagine this guy at LB, Singo at RB, Boly and Baily as center backs against an ABF striker like Ighalo choi! grin

Cornet........Boly.......Baily.........Singo

Shooting from distance grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BOOOMNAIJA: 6:14am On Nov 02, 2021
ChrisKels:
Imagine this guy at LB, Singo at RB, Boly and Baily as center backs against an ABF striker like Ighalo choi! grin

Cornet........Boly.......Baily.........Singo

This Ur talk made me remember AFCON 2013 with the star-studded ivory coast team everybody felt would walk over any other team effortlessly...but we all know wat happened wen they came up against Nigeria...the rest remains history.

See let me tell u something... there's this naija spirit an average Nigerian has that makes him surmount the greatest challenges wen the chips are down...

It was an ordinary home based player that made ivory coast look ordinary on the day... someone not even up to ighalo in any ramification football-wise.

With or without ighalo, I believe any team we present to play ivory coast or Senegal will still portray such attitude and come out tops.

Remember we also av the likes of ejuke, chukwueze, osimhen, Iheanacho that can wreck havoc on any defence in the world...so just chill and let's wait till then

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:40am On Nov 02, 2021
Rooney,Zidane,Makelele,Messi,Larson,Buffon,carragha, David Villa,Lilian Thuram,Van da sar and Roger Milla all returned from retirement to help their countries. Their countries didn't have young players?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BARAJ92(m): 6:43am On Nov 02, 2021
Philosopher1979:

Ahmed Musa, onuachu and Moses Simon needs to get out of the team immediately. They have little or nothing to offer. Emmanuel Dennis, nwakaeme, awoniyi, onyekuru etc should take their place. We also need more options in midfield. With covid u can have more than a 23 man squad. Mr rohr really needs help.
Samuel kalu is of course better than Moses Simon. He is better when playing for Nigeria.
Again our coach needs help. Salisu Yusuf should please help him
Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa can't be drop from the team, I don't know of Onuachu, you are screaming Nwaekeme as if Simon is not performing in the French ligue for a 32 years old player that is not even playing for a top flight team neither is he a mainstay in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:00am On Nov 02, 2021
I hate Nigerian coaches. They are.......

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 7:16am On Nov 02, 2021
zuchyblink:
Rooney,Zidane,Makelele,Messi,Larson,Buffon,carragha, David Villa,Lilian Thuram,Van da sar and Roger Milla all returned from retirement to help their countries. Their countries didn't have young players?

Vardy is not called by the 3-Lions but Calvert Lewin will always get called up bar any injury. Tell Me who is more experienced.. or they didn't need Vardy experience?

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:52am On Nov 02, 2021
codemaniacs:

rohr and pinnick wants Awoniyi to represent Germany because I don't see any reason why Awoniyi in his current form should be omitted and why pinnick can't ensure Awoniyi is cap tied to Nigeria.

Cap tie kwa? Was Awoniyi born in Germany
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Embell: 7:54am On Nov 02, 2021
You're right that Kalu performs well on the NT. I was expecting to see him on the list. BTW, you don't need to drop Simon to invite Kalu. Go back and reread my comment. My point is, at national team level so far, Simon and Onuachu are better than Dennis and Nwakaeme. Even at club level, those players are not better than Simon and Onuachu.

Philosopher1979:

This is the problem. At national team level there are better players. Club form does not transform to the national team every time. This is because if style of play. Onuachu fits a particular style of play we don't have in the national team and Simon switches off when playing for us.
We need players who play well for us and not just their club. They are different things. Some players simply don't fit into certain formations or play well in certain teams and Moses Simon and onuachu don't fit into our teams right now.
Look, if you study maurinho and guardiola well, they only go for players that fits into their style of play and not necessarily the best players. Club form is good but overrated. Samuel kalu seems to fit into our national team than Moses simon. Don't get carried away with club form. Club form only matters if you can translate it into the national team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 7:58am On Nov 02, 2021
Subzero047:

Cap tie kwa? Was Awoniyi born in Germany

Was Leon balogun born in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 7:59am On Nov 02, 2021
zuchyblink:

Are/were those men being called at the expense of younger talented players who are performing extremely well ?

Besides, what makes the selection even worse is it doesn't solve a recurring issue that Rohr continually ignores: the midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:05am On Nov 02, 2021
BOOOMNAIJA:

This Ur talk made me remember AFCON 2013 with the star-studded ivory coast team everybody felt would walk over any other team effortlessly...but we all know wat happened wen they came up against Nigeria...the rest remains history.

See let me tell u something... there's this naija spirit an average Nigerian has that makes him surmount the greatest challenges wen the chips are down...

It was an ordinary home based player that made ivory coast look ordinary on the day... someone not even up to ighalo in any ramification football-wise.

With or without ighalo, I believe any team we present to play ivory coast or Senegal will still portray such attitude and come out tops.

Remember we also av the likes of ejuke, chukwueze, osimhen, Iheanacho that can wreck havoc on any defence in the world...so just chill and let's wait till then
Oga that winning mentality attitude is gone o...not this team with Rohr.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:08am On Nov 02, 2021
zuchyblink:
...and they all came out from retirement playing in Saudi league....pls check the names of the players you mentioned.

Ighalo has returned and as I said I hope he continues from where he stopped at Afcon 2019.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Stormtrooper11(m): 8:19am On Nov 02, 2021
nelszx:

Read my comment again, was Nwakeme and Chuks mentioned?
Moses Simon has hardly placed anything successfully in the national team.
Passes - zero
Corners - zero
Pull outs - zero
Dribbling - zero
He's so suspect that every defender can predict his style. Run aimlessly and cut to the left cheesy cheesy. He has been completely neutralized by all the defenders we've played against (very predictable).
He has taken more than 20 corners in this WCQ series and not even one has reached the head of any of our players. Has Simon played any corner that resulted into goals since he has started taking corners?
Is it the passes you want to talk about? After his aimless runs oya pass now, none has met our players without interception.
We have better wingers who are dynamic in their style of play but Rohr for whatever reason will always set up his team with a short (minus) one. See instead of Simon to start I will prefer Awaziem to play that his position. He may not have the strength to run aimlessly like Simon but his crosses and passes are pinpoint accurate.
Even if he calls Lookman up, he'll still play Simon who even defensively is a zero.

The corner against guinea Bissau in 2019 AFCON which was scored by Kenneth omeruo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:19am On Nov 02, 2021
Embell:
You're right that Kalu performs well on the NT. I was expecting to see him on the list. BTW, you don't need to drop Simon to invite Kalu. Go back and reread my comment. My point is, at national team level so far, Simon and Onuachu are better than Dennis and Nwakaeme. Even at club level, those players are not better than Simon and Onuachu.

Let's settle this Watford vs Nantes and Trabzonspor vs Genk...pls stake....

I don't rate Simon,Nwakaeme who I criticized heavily after Algeria match and I don't rate Onuachu at all....but my man the major issue with Dennis is his attitude,apart from that he is a good player..oh Nwakaeme I think Rohr doesn't rate him cos at 32 the guy I is trying,performing every season.

Simon and Onuachu,I know time will tell and Afcon 2022 will definitely separate real men from the boys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:24am On Nov 02, 2021
Stormtrooper11:

The corner against guinea Bissau in 2019 AFCON which was scored by Kenneth omeruo
The only thing still going for Simon was his output against Cameroon both home and away,apart from that nothing special Simon bring to the table again.

My man I want to see more of Ejuke....that guy na wizard.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joelsteron: 8:28am On Nov 02, 2021
Kog45:
The only thing still going for Simon was his output against Cameroon both home and away,apart from that nothing special Simon bring to the table again.

My man I want to see more of Ejuke....that guy na wizard.
He won't start bet me. Simon go bench am. Chukwueze is back
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:39am On Nov 02, 2021
Subzero047:
Onuachu scored in 3 minutes and won man of the match in his debut, Shehu Abdullahi won man of the match on his debut, Ezenwa made multiple saves against Cameroun (I think) on his debut even Idowu scored on his debut
Subzero man,everything depends on a coach.

Richard Owubokiri got a call up after long absent from eagles and scored a goal and Westerhoff refused to call him again.

Dimeji Lawal forced himself in with the aid of fans who were shouting his name at the national stadium,Westerhoff obliged and Dimeji came in under five minutes he made his presence felt with a goal and five star performance,after that match he never got a call again.

Good performance on a debut is 50/50 and coaches where aware of that so they always ease that pressure on a player,good coaches tells debutant to go out there and enjoy yourself.

Pls tell me what is Shehu doing with eagles again,just tell me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:41am On Nov 02, 2021
codemaniacs:

Was Leon balogun born in Nigeria

Leon Balogun has a Nigerian father, besides Awoniyi has already been 'cap tied'

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 8:43am On Nov 02, 2021
Subzero047:

Leon Balogun has a Nigerian father, besides Awoniyi has already been 'cap tied'

correct me if I'm wrong but Awoniyi has less than 5 caps for Nigeria and under the new FIFA rule players who have less than 5 caps can represent other countries..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:47am On Nov 02, 2021
Kog45:

Richard Owubokiri got a call up after long absent from eagles and scored a goal and Westerhoff refused to call him again.

Dimeji Lawal forced himself in with the aid of fans who were shouting his name at the national stadium,Westerhoff obliged and Dimeji came in under five minutes he made his presence felt with a goal and five star performance,after that match he never got a call again.

Good performance on a debut is 50/50 and coaches where aware of that so they always ease that pressure on a player,good coaches tells debutant to go out there and enjoy yourself.

Rohr's policy has always been clear, you earn your way into the SE team and you earn your way out, as bad as Shehu's club situation is he earned his way into the team with his brilliant performance on his first match for Rohr against (Algeria) and he has been solid whenever called upon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:48am On Nov 02, 2021
codemaniacs:

correct me if I'm wrong but Awoniyi has less than 5 caps for Nigeria and under the new FIFA rule players who have less than 5 caps can represent other countries..

Awoniyi has both Nigerian parents and was born in Nigeria, I don't think he is eligible for Germany

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:55am On Nov 02, 2021
BARAJ92:
Moses Simon and Ahmed Musa can't be drop from the team, I don't know of Onuachu, you are screaming Nwaekeme as if Simon is not performing in the French ligue for a 32 years old player that is not even playing for a top flight team neither is he a mainstay in the team.

That’s why I said many of you don’t watch football or know anything

Yes Nwakaeme will not be invited and that’s fine

Nwakaeme not a main stay at trabzonspor and the team not a top flight team ?

Clap for yourself
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:56am On Nov 02, 2021
Tessyy1701:

Vardy is not called by the 3-Lions but Calvert Lewin will always get called up bar any injury. Tell Me who is more experienced.. or they didn't need Vardy experience?

Well vardy was called out of retirement but he rejected it once again that’s why Calvert lewin and co had their chances
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:58am On Nov 02, 2021
Ppogbae:

Are/were those men being called at the expense of younger talented players who are performing extremely well ?

Besides, what makes the selection even worse is it doesn't solve a recurring issue that Rohr continually ignores: the midfield.

Your response should have been ighalo cannot be compared to those players in terms of quality

And yes they where called in expense of younger talented players who are performing well

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:58am On Nov 02, 2021
joelsteron:

He won't start bet me. Simon go bench am. Chukwueze is back
Yes with Rohr but bookmark me at the long run Ejuke wey I dey see o go bench Simon.

Baba,I just dey wait for Ejuke and Chuckwueze on the flanks.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:00am On Nov 02, 2021
Subzero047:

Rohr's policy has always been clear, you earn your way into the SE team and you earn your way out, as bad as Shehu's club situation is he earned his way into the team with his brilliant performance on his first match for Rohr against (Algeria) and he has been solid whenever called upon
Bro do not worry soon I will tell you why Shehu is always getting call up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:03am On Nov 02, 2021
Kog45:
...and they all came out from retirement playing in Saudi league....pls check the names of the players you mentioned.

Ighalo has returned and as I said I hope he continues from where he stopped at Afcon 2019.

Playing in Saudi got nothing to do with anything bros,rohr should have given awoniyi a chance ahead of ighalo for sure

I think Zlatan came out of retirement playing at the mls ,injury made him miss the 2018 World Cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:09am On Nov 02, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Playing in Saudi got nothing to do with anything bros,rohr should have given awoniyi a chance ahead of ighalo for sure

I think Zlatan came out of retirement playing at the mls ,injury made him miss the 2018 World Cup
I don't think Zlatan was invited to Sweden national team ahead of 2018 WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TFLASHOGEE(m): 9:10am On Nov 02, 2021
Kog45:

good bless you for this sir even this nwakeme rorh didn't just invited him the other Time out of will people clamoured for his calling into the team and Rorh got no Choice then that to give him a call up prior to that Algeria game then he played him out of position and that the suppose end of his career in the national team shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 9:12am On Nov 02, 2021
Subzero047:

Awoniyi has both Nigerian parents and was born in Nigeria, I don't think he is eligible for Germany

Germany can offer him citizenship and cap him...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11511) (11512) (11513) (11514) (11515) (11516) (11517) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elunico, Lyster360, maidaboi(m), BannedLarge and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.