Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,440 members, 7,850,542 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:47 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11946) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11865076 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11943) (11944) (11945) (11946) (11947) (11948) (11949) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:28am On Dec 26, 2021
humility33:

I will rather watch how his team play

The sojourn he went in Slovenia/Slovakia lately
How was it

That is what you should do. Watch how he manages the situation for a few games. I am also waiting to see but understand there is no time for the kind of changes you want few weeks to a major tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:29am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:
Aside of the Akpoguma situation, how come no one is talking about the inclusion of shehu, Ahmed musa ahead of more deserving players like ebuehi, nwakaeme, ejaria, Lookman etc.. some of us were complaining about Rohr horrible selection and eguavoen decided to continue from where Rohr stopped. I’m tired everything in this country is politics and I am glad that, slowly by slowly my interest at SE is decreasing. Eventually, if we continue these nepotism, tribalistic selection, I will totally discontinue and sign off…. Ike agulam

What did you expect Eguavon to do?
Abi Dem no tell u say na from Rohr list Eguavon pick him own? I very much doubt that Nwaekeme, Ejaria and Lookman were in the initial list submitted by Rohr..
Eguavon has limited time on his hand...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:29am On Dec 26, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Tell me how many black European born coaches can manage top clubs. It is not ambition. Blacks lack opportunities for football in Europe. That is why the likes of us are supporting Viera to change the narrative. So if Black Europeans find it difficult, how do you think Nigerians can just claim jobs in Europe.

How many blacks do you see in VAR rooms in the EPL? Let alone coaching.

It is possible for a black coach that distinguish himself to coach a European club

If you distinguish yourself you'll climb the ladder there is no hiding place for the gold fish

The truth is Nigeria coaches are not trying and doing well.... they need to be ambitious, get their badges and dream big.

They have limit themselves to think that the best they can ever get is SE job

Equaveon manage a job in Slovenia lately and I am sure he didn't do well..same with amuneke sojourn all over africa he did poorly save for Tanzania he tried qualify them...in a 24 team tournament for the first time...so it was relatively easy to qualify then than before
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 9:32am On Dec 26, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

That is why Rohr asked for Ighalo to come back from retirement when we had Dessers. That is why Rohr kept calling Musa even when he did not have a club. That is why Rohr kept Shehu in the team despite Ebuehi doing well. Na wa for this Indigenous Local coach called Rohr.

Rohr was one kind of a coach that would have prefer he was a scout instead.
He is not a good and daring coach

So I won't even rate him as a foreign coach that knows his onions but he did well in getting foreign born players for us which the indigenous coaches will never do because this lads dont understand the protocols of greasing palms to get call ups

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:33am On Dec 26, 2021
Danielnino00:

What did you expect Eguavon to do?
Abi Dem no tell u say na from Rohr list Eguavon pick him own? I very much doubt that Nwaekeme, Ejaria and Lookman were in the initial list submitted by Rohr..
Eguavon has limited time on his hand...

The likes of ebuehi, akpoguma, Kalu were in Rohr 40 man list let’s not act dumb
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:34am On Dec 26, 2021
As it is my custom, I will make my predictions after the first couple of games wink

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:37am On Dec 26, 2021
Let's cut Eguavoen some slacks that he named his team based on how the players performed in GWG lately. With Nwakali as an exception, welcome again Shehu Abdullahi! And Ndah was exceptional against Mexico. grin

Eguavoen does not watch club football.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:37am On Dec 26, 2021
humility33:

It is possible for a black coach that distinguish himself to coach a European club

If you distinguish yourself you'll climb the ladder there is no hiding place for the gold fish

The truth is Nigeria coaches are not trying and doing well.... they need to be ambitious, get their badges and dream big.

They have limit themselves to think that the best they can ever get is SE job

Equaveon manage a job in Slovenia lately and I am sure he didn't do well..same with amuneke sojourn all over africa he did poorly save for Tanzania he tried qualify them...in a 24 team tournament for the first time...so it was relatively easy to qualify then than before

Coaches have ups and downs. It does not define them. What matters is their beliefs and how hard they keep working.

Diego Simeone getting River Plate (the Barcelona of Argentina) relegated did not let the failure define him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:38am On Dec 26, 2021
These nwakali case self is confusing. Personally, I don’t watch his game at the segunda and cannot vouch for his quality but his only game that I watch at SE vs Athletico Madrid, the guy was impressive but that was few years ago. As a coach or winning team, you shouldn’t select players based on what they achieved “years ago” rather, their present form.. people that watch nwakali games, can you vouch for his quality based on this season performance and what should we expect from nwakali Statistically based on this season, Amoo also deserve an invite much more than nwakali but that’s another conversations for another day…
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:39am On Dec 26, 2021
humility33:

Bros even if we can make case for Ndah how about Collins,shehu inclusion in that list ahead of Ebuehi and Akpo

I just hate it when Equeavon is repeating same thing rohr was doing

Collins has been our starter for a few games now and he hasn't put a foot wrong. Shehu and John Noble are the inexcusable ones but that's 2 out of 28. We can live with that. We don't have to turn against the coach because of that. I myself was even thinking that the list would be dropped to 23 so those 5 extras are just getting a free vacation to Egypt IMO.

The guys who missed out should focus on their club football. There are more matches coming up this year including the world cup.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tessyy1701: 9:40am On Dec 26, 2021
Subzero047:

Bassey made Rohr's 23 man list before he caught fire so you are saying he won't make the 28 man list now he's our most inform defender? And didn't Rohr get fired for incompetence and now we have a coach making arguably worse decisions

Was He part of the team for Our last match?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:41am On Dec 26, 2021
It's a free world like your line up in your signature. wink
maidaboi:
those that are not hoping for AFCON title can continue thier hoping nothing spoiled it's a free world
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:44am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:
These nwakali case self is confusing. Personally, I don’t watch his game at the segunda and cannot vouch for his quality but his only game that I watch at SE vs Athletico Madrid, the guy was impressive but that was few years ago. As a coach or winning team, you shouldn’t select players based on what they achieved “years ago” rather, their present form.. people that watch nwakali games, can you vouch for his quality based on this season performance and what should we expect from nwakali Statistically based on this season, Amoo also deserve an invite much more than nwakali but that’s another conversations for another day…

While watching Eguavoen's tactical philosophy video. As soon as he mentioned the team will have a midfielder that can dictate play with diagonal long balls, my mind lit up. NWAKALI.

As a coach, you can not play with that. Something that defines your game is key. For now, he can not attest to how good Kelechi Nwakali is but he is the guy that has that skill set the coach needs.

It is now up to Kelechi Nwakali to deliver a killer performance in camp to make the final cut. That is why Eguavoen called him. Eguavoen will make it clear to him that the ball is in his court. Kelechi Nwakali needs to wake up.

So it is the coach's philosophy that counted in Kelechi Nwakali getting called to camp. Let us allow the coach work.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:45am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:

The likes of ebuehi, akpoguma, Kalu were in Rohr 40 man list let’s not act dumb
The fact that you called it a 40 man list shows that u have no idea, because it was reported that Rohr submitted a 37 man list and Eguavon tried to add 3 additional names but was rejected by CAF..
However, if you have th so called 40 man list,share it here.. it would really validate your opinion

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 9:45am On Dec 26, 2021
E shock una abi? When I preach experience it looks as if u don't know what I am saying or I am a trouble Maker, another coach has come with similar philosophy. How can you go to AFCON with rookies and players that have not played in Africa before. Imagine going to Cameroon in hot and dry weather with potatoes and Broilers like Eze, Michael Olise, Ebuehi**, Bassey, Akpoguma**, Ejaria? It looks disastrous. Even Iwobi and Aribo are finding hard to cope with the weather

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:47am On Dec 26, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Collins has been our starter for a few games now and he hasn't put a foot wrong. Shehu and John Noble are the inexcusable ones but that's 2 out of 28. We can live with that. We don't have to turn against the coach because of that. I myself was even thinking that the list would be dropped to 23 so those 5 extras are just getting a free vacation to Egypt IMO.

The guys who missed out should focus on their club football. There are more matches coming up this year including the world cup.

Let’s not deceive ourselves

1) Ahmed musa selection in 2021 is inexcusable if you’re selecting players on Form and Merit. If you’re selecting Nigeria players based on form at turkey league, Nwakaeme is the best on current form. Personally, I wouldn’t had selected Neither..

2) Shehu has absolutely no reason to be included in a team that excluded bassey, Akpoguma and Ebuehi…..

3) Noble also has no reason being on the team on current form

4) Ndah: I don’t know much about him but is playing at a much lower league than Akpoguma

5) Nwakali: on current form (0 goals 0 assist)shouldn’t be included ahead of Amoo and I am a huge nwakali fan…

There’s also the likes of Simon moses, Collins that has been unimpressive in their last few outings for Super eagles.. once again, in a major tournament, super eagles select a Strong 11 and a weak bench.. we’re going to another tournament with a Solid 11, 3 decent substitutes and a weak bench… overall, as a National team, there should be a blueprint on team selections in order to protect the integrity of our team

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:51am On Dec 26, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

While watching Eguavoen's tactical philosophy video. As soon as he mentioned the team will have a midfielder that can dictate play with diagonal long balls, my mind lit up. NWAKALI.

As a coach, you can not play with that. Something that defines your game is key. For now, he can not attest to how good Kelechi Nwakali is but he is the guy that has that skill set the coach needs.

It is now up to Kelechi Nwakali to deliver a killer performance in camp to make the final cut. That is why Eguavoen called him. Eguavoen will make it clear to him that the ball is in his court. Kelechi Nwakali needs to wake up.

So it is the coach's philosophy that counted in Kelechi Nwakali getting called to camp. Let us allow the coach work.

Makes sense but does that means that Amoo a winger/Attacking midfielder on form cannot dictate a game?? I am about inviting players immediately they’re “inform” that’s what I’m asking
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:52am On Dec 26, 2021
Danielnino00:

The fact that you called it a 40 man list shows that u have no idea, because it was reported that Rohr submitted a 37 man list and Eguavon tried to add 3 additional names but was rejected by CAF..
However, if you have th so called 40 man list,share it here.. it would really validate your opinion

37 man or 40 man list, the likes of dessers, ebuehi, akpoguma we’re definitely included in a 37 or 40 man list. Let’s not deceive ourselves
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:54am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:

Makes sense but does that means that Amoo a winger/Attacking midfielder on form cannot dictate a game?? I am about inviting players immediately they’re “inform” that’s what I’m asking

Dictating play with long balls is not part of Amoo's game.

CAF did not allow more changes. The coach's had is tied in this case.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:54am On Dec 26, 2021
zuchyblink:
E shock una abi? When I preach experience it looks as if u don't know what I am saying or I am a trouble Maker, another coach has come with similar philosophy. How can you go to AFCON with rookies and players that have not played in Africa before. Imagine going to Cameroon in hot and dry weather with potatoes and Broilers like Eze, Michael Olise, Ebuehi**, Bassey, Akpoguma**, Ejaria? It looks disastrous. Even Iwobi and Aribo are finding hard to cope with the weather

Stop talking nonsense because football isn’t strictly about physicality anymore. The Algeria that won that previous ANC isn’t as physically strong as their Nigerian counterparts but they dictated the course of their games vs west African team.. it’s always better to include players at their “best form”
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 12large1: 9:58am On Dec 26, 2021
Anyway, let’s support and encourage eguavoen because he is part of us and it’s only his first invitation. Who knows if these boys might work harder for him and impress.. let’s also talk about the positives. I.e the forward line.. based on the team Selections of all African teams, Nigeria has the strongest forward line even stronger than Senegal and Ivory Coast own

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by hismail1(m): 10:17am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:

Let’s not deceive ourselves

1) Ahmed musa selection in 2021 is inexcusable if you’re selecting players on Form and Merit. If you’re selecting Nigeria players based on form at turkey league, Nwakaeme is the best on current form. Personally, I wouldn’t had selected Neither..

2) Shehu has absolutely no reason to be included in a team that excluded bassey, Akpoguma and Ebuehi…..

3) Noble also has no reason being on the team on current form

4) Ndah: I don’t know much about him but is playing at a much lower league than Akpoguma

5) Nwakali: on current form (0 goals 0 assist)shouldn’t be included ahead of Amoo and I am a huge nwakali fan…

There’s also the likes of Simon moses, Collins that has been unimpressive in their last few outings for Super eagles.. once again, in a major tournament, super eagles select a Strong 11 and a weak bench.. we’re going to another tournament with a Solid 11, 3 decent substitutes and a weak bench… overall, as a National team, there should be a blueprint on team selections in order to protect the integrity of our team
John Noble's selection is a funny one. Dude isn't even the first choice goalkeeper for Enyimba .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oldboss(m): 10:29am On Dec 26, 2021
IDENNAA:

Nwakali , for this season , has operated almost entirely from CM or DM , but just to win an argument you had to compare apples and oranges. Why aren't you asking how many goals Ndidi scored this season.

Iwobi is putting up embarrassing performances but you are more concerned about Nwakali who has not touched a ball with SE.

Where is yout sense of logic ?
Nwakali is not a defensive midfielder
From being better than Aribo now it Iwobi. ;d
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 10:36am On Dec 26, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

One thing is for sure, you are not God and cannot see tomorrow. That is just your wish and hope.

It's not about God.

I hope they prove me wrong
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:46am On Dec 26, 2021
PROVERBZ:
did he not train ??

U people's problem is that u people love half casts. even if they are useless. As long as they are just in the team that's okay with u people. Did u not reason why he was not given any chance ??
If he performed better at training why would he not be given game time ?

Akpoguma is not useless ,I am always sincere with my judgement

When you where speaking about Ebuehi and talking down on Collins I didn’t tell you that you love halfcast ,I think you should apply your common sense here .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:47am On Dec 26, 2021
TheGoodJoe:

Westerhoff brought a 16 years old player from Ranchers Bees to the Super Eagles camp when we had lots of more senior players. The young man became key for the team and later became a top star in England. Later even won a man-of-the-match performance against Manchester United in the FA Cup. His name, Daniel Amokachi.

It is not by club but quality to offer the team.
who was dropped for him?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 10:56am On Dec 26, 2021
VillageBus:
this is not true, I have watch Huesca last four matches and he played as a deep lying playmaker in two of them, there DM is poor on the ball, so he is the one that drops deep to collect the ball from there CB, in one he played as a DM(kinda like a regista) in a 442 formation and the last as a CM in a 442 formation.
I don't know where you got your AM and winger from. Earlier in the season he was playing as a RM in a 442, but he still had the task of receiving the ball from there CB.

Nwakali last 10 games

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 10:57am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:

Stop talking nonsense because football isn’t strictly about physicality anymore. The Algeria that won that previous ANC isn’t as physically strong as their Nigerian counterparts but they dictated the course of their games vs west African team.. it’s always better to include players at their “best form”
Algeria played in Egypt Cameroon will be hot for those potatoes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:02am On Dec 26, 2021
zuchyblink:
It is a big bias to rate players by the league they play. A lion in the jungle (Ndah) and dog in the city(Akpoguma)
if e easy make Lion too enter city
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:03am On Dec 26, 2021
jihday:
who was dropped for him?

I can't remember but we had a lot of quality players who got phased off in that time. Some players like Etim Esin and Friday Ekpo got laid off in that period.

Either way, a 16 years old local player got into the camp of the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:05am On Dec 26, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Nwakali last 10 games

You know playing as an AMF does not mean he does not drop deep to build play. Bernardo Silva plays AM for City in many games but drops deep most of the time to connect with Rodri.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:05am On Dec 26, 2021
humility33:

Don't think he knows or have any plans to build the team... a man who wants to build the team will understand that there is no need for Ighalo call ups when we have a player who play differently from all the other forward in Dessers

I pray he get replaced after afcon because world cup list would be worst and I don't expect him to recruit foreign born players into the team like Rohr did even though Rohr conservative attitude rarely let him play them in matches...he harnessed talents for us
I quite agree with Goodjoe, he can’t make too many changes to the team, it’s why I’m not surprised players like Collins ighalo and Shehu made it and why I’m surprised that Ndah a newbie made it ahead of Akpors a regular

(1) (2) (3) ... (11943) (11944) (11945) (11946) (11947) (11948) (11949) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.