Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,334 members, 7,850,214 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 04:30 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (11947) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11862553 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11944) (11945) (11946) (11947) (11948) (11949) (11950) ... (16249) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 11:09am On Dec 26, 2021
Joebie:
Let's cut Eguavoen some slacks that he named his team based on how the players performed in GWG lately. With Nwakali as an exception, welcome again Shehu Abdullahi! And Ndah was exceptional against Mexico. grin

Eguavoen does not watch club football.
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:10am On Dec 26, 2021
zuchyblink:
E shock una abi? When I preach experience it looks as if u don't know what I am saying or I am a trouble Maker, another coach has come with similar philosophy. How can you go to AFCON with rookies and players that have not played in Africa before. Imagine going to Cameroon in hot and dry weather with potatoes and Broilers like Eze, Michael Olise, Ebuehi**, Bassey, Akpoguma**, Ejaria? It looks disastrous. Even Iwobi and Aribo are finding hard to cope with the weather
By your logic, how many players have played in Qatar weather before to warrant the coach taking them to the WC when the time comes?

See there's nobody who is discountenancing experience. But we cannot in the name of experience take deadbeat players playing in backwater leagues to a tournament when we have young players firing on all cylinders in reputable leagues. That's why at the end the argument is not about young or experienced, foreign born or home based but QUALITY.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Klammer01(m): 11:15am On Dec 26, 2021
Why is no one talking about uzoho, grin grin no Cyprus the guy de play
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 11:18am On Dec 26, 2021
Mujtahida:

By your logic, how many players have played in Qatar weather before to warrant the coach taking them to the WC when the time comes?

See there's nobody who is discountenancing experience. But we cannot in the name of experience take deadbeat players playing in backwater leagues to a tournament when we have young players firing on all cylinders in reputable leagues. That's why at the end the argument is not about young or experienced, foreign born or home based but QUALITY.
The standard is high in Qatar,air conditioned stadiums and world class playing turf against Harmattan and rugged turf in Cameroon. The players dropped are not better than the players selected. Akpoguma has not done anything tangible in GWG, others are not tested in Africa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 11:22am On Dec 26, 2021
Subzero047:
Man got the list and said, ok foreign borns out! grin
5naira post!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:24am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:

Stop talking nonsense because football isn’t strictly about physicality anymore. The Algeria that won that previous ANC isn’t as physically strong as their Nigerian counterparts but they dictated the course of their games vs west African team.. it’s always better to include players at their “best form”
it is better to listen and weigh arguments and take the superior one rather than continously arguing blindly. Oga zuchyblink keeps putting forward spurious arguments in a bid to support this point about experience. Just imagine this funny talk about African weather as an excuse to drop some players and carry others.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 11:28am On Dec 26, 2021
kiss
Mujtahida:

it is better to listen and weigh arguments and take the superior one rather than continously arguing blindly. Oga zuchyblink keeps putting forward spurious arguments in a bid to support this point about experience. Just imagine this funny talk about African weather as an excuse to drop some players and carry others.
factors considered

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:28am On Dec 26, 2021
zuchyblink:
The standard is high in Qatar,air conditioned stadiums and world class playing turf against Harmattan and rugged turf in Cameroon. The players dropped are not better than the players selected. Akpoguma has not done anything tangible in GWG, others are not tested in Africa
I am not necessarily for or against the naming of certain players. At least offer credible arguments. Which one be African weather. It's is Ighalo that knows how to play in harmattan but players who have played in the dead of winter cannot play. That argument is untenable abeg

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 11:37am On Dec 26, 2021
humility33:

Yeah he is better than a player bossing and playing in German top division league and Glasgow rangers

I just pray the injustice you guys support dont return to hurt u someday

When u support mediocrity and injustice do so with shame

He is not better
He brings a different skillset
Understand this and stop groaning

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 11:39am On Dec 26, 2021
TheGoodJoe:
First of all, if for instance, a coach prefers having a player that makes runs with the ball into spaces, and that player plays in the PSL, are you saying the coach should not use the player to play a bundesliga star who does not make runs with the ball?

If the player does not fit the coach's philosophy or lacks the skillset he wants, you can not force it on the coach.

The philosophy is king.

Gbam
It's shocking how almost Everyone else is missing the point

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 11:41am On Dec 26, 2021
solonnachi:
I feel Eguavoen selected his team based on the physical style of African football and this may be the reason for the ommision of the foreign borns. He may have plans for them after AFCON. My fear now is how people like Akpoguma, Dessers and Ebuehi would take this? NFF has to explain to them so they don't get discouraged
let them get discouraged. The world doesn't revolve round them. What about other players (non foreign borns) that ain't on the list. I guess nff should also explain to them?.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:57am On Dec 26, 2021
People justifying Olise ndah inclusion over akpoguma

Smh

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:58am On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:

37 man or 40 man list, the likes of dessers, ebuehi, akpoguma we’re definitely included in a 37 or 40 man list. Let’s not deceive ourselves

Why not show us the list. Validate your point with facts not assumptions..

Solace Chukwu mentioned that the list was more like a Rohr list..only Ndah for Akpogunma and Nwakali for Onuachu were the changes Eguavon made

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by VillageBus(m): 12:00pm On Dec 26, 2021
andrewbaba44:

Nwakali last 10 games
I watched the gijon and alcorcon matches, vs alcorcon they played a 442 formation and he played as a right midfielder, I don't know where transfermakt saw him playing left wing, versus gijon, when the line up was shown in the pre match he was a SS, but when the match started there arrangement on the pitch showed they where playing 4-5-1, with three midfielders sitting flat.
Versus leganes and he played RM in a 442.
Vs Malaga him and one Grealish looking guy(there left mid) say deep while Rico played higher up the pitch.

And from the matches I have seen Huesca doesn't play with wingers or SS, the wingers on paper are actually AM, while the AM are CM.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 12:02pm On Dec 26, 2021
All these emotional outburst about Akpoguma, was it not the same niqqa Rohr begged all through 2018 to play for Nigeria?

If nothing happened when he rejected us, why is everyone wailing now that’s he was dropped from the team?

Come on guys, it’s not the end of the world, more matches will be played next year and I bet he will be part of the team, The only person I miss is Ebuehi

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:05pm On Dec 26, 2021
VillageBus:
I watched the gijon and alcorcon matches, vs alcorcon they played a 442 formation and he played as a right midfielder, I don't know where transfermakt saw him playing left wing, versus gijon, when the line up was shown in the pre match he was a SS, but when the match started there arrangement on the pitch showed they where playing 4-5-1, with three midfielders sitting flat.
Versus leganes and he played RM in a 442.
Vs Malaga him and one Grealish looking guy(there left mid) say deep while Rico played higher up the pitch.

And from the matches I have seen Huesca doesn't play with wingers or SS, the wingers on paper are actually AM, while the AM are CM.

All this your long shalaye

The Different position he played Where was the creativity ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:07pm On Dec 26, 2021
Triniti:
All these emotional outburst about Akpoguma, was it not the same niqqa Rohr begged all through 2018 to play for Nigeria?

If nothing happened when he rejected us, why is everyone wailing now that’s he was dropped from the team?

Come on guys, it’s not the end of the world, more matches will be played next year and I bet he will be part of the team, The only person I miss is Ebuehi

He was dropped and it has happened

But nobody should come and tell me here how Olise ndah is better ,abeg I tire for nonsense ok

So because he took him time to play for naija ,but didn’t he later played for naija ? Which one be say rohr beg am ,abeg abeg no carry that leg come here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 12:11pm On Dec 26, 2021
12large1:

The likes of ebuehi, akpoguma, Kalu were in Rohr 40 man list let’s not act dumb
where is the list?

These are all assumptions until the 37 or 40 man list is out.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 12:16pm On Dec 26, 2021
BascoVanVeli:

Collins has been our starter for a few games now and he hasn't put a foot wrong. Shehu and John Noble are the inexcusable ones but that's 2 out of 28. We can live with that. We don't have to turn against the coach because of that. I myself was even thinking that the list would be dropped to 23 so those 5 extras are just getting a free vacation to Egypt IMO.

The guys who missed out should focus on their club football. There are more matches coming up this year including the world cup.

Collins link is our weakest link. Opponents exploit it well to counter and score.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by VillageBus(m): 12:17pm On Dec 26, 2021
andrewbaba44:

All this your long shalaye

The Different position he played Where was the creativity ?
deep lying playmakers in small teams rarely score or assist.
Look at kroos a DLP, 1.4 key passes per game, nwakali 0.5, kroos 3 big chances created(he takes corners) nwakali 2created. Not factoring that nwakali team is always on the back foot.

NB I am not comparing kroos ability to nwakali own.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:18pm On Dec 26, 2021
PurpleHouse:

Collins link is our weakest link. Opponents exploit it well to counter and score.

How many times have they scored with him playing grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PurpleHouse(m): 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2021
zuchyblink:
E shock una abi? When I preach experience it looks as if u don't know what I am saying or I am a trouble Maker, another coach has come with similar philosophy. How can you go to AFCON with rookies and players that have not played in Africa before. Imagine going to Cameroon in hot and dry weather with potatoes and Broilers like Eze, Michael Olise, Ebuehi**, Bassey, Akpoguma**, Ejaria? It looks disastrous. Even Iwobi and Aribo are finding hard to cope with the weather

Ebuehi, Bassey, broilers

Just shift small abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2021
Danielnino00:
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.
Sequel to my post yesterday where I expressed my intention to take over the responsibility of organising the annual Nairaland Nigeria Football award as requested by Icon4s this year, I'm glad to announce that the award would go ahead as planned, and I'll be coordinating it with Drklever.

Three people from this thread will join the nomination committee alongside me and Drklever, with icon4s being a honorary member.

On this note, members of the thread are to nominate 3 monikers they wish to be part of the committee. Unlike how it was previously done where we would nominate only one moniker, I suggest we nominate 3 each so as to make it more flexible and have more people nominated.
Here's how the nomination selection will be sorted;
3 points would be awarded to the first name nominated, 2 points to the second and 1 point to the last.
Example: I nominate Danielnino00, Drklever and icon4s. in this case, Danielnino00 will have 3 nomination point, Drklever will have 2 and icon4s will have 1.
At the close of the nomination process, the 3 monikers with the most points will be added to the committee. Any moniker that's selected to the committee but doesn't wish to participate for any reason whatsoever will be replaced by the another one from below the top 4.
Nomination starts now and close on Monday, December 27th 2021.

Thank you.

Let's keep the nominations coming please.
It closes tomorrow at 12pm

Thank you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 12:22pm On Dec 26, 2021
VillageBus:
deep lying playmakers in small teams rarely score or assist.
Look at kroos a DLP, 1.4 key passes per game, nwakali 0.5, kroos 3 big chances created(he takes corners) nwakali 2created. Not factoring that nwakali team is always on the back foot.

NB I am not comparing kroos ability to nwakali own.

Even with your NB, you go see somebody for down go tell you say you de put Kroos to be the same level with Nwakali.

Watch and see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:22pm On Dec 26, 2021
andrewbaba44:

He was dropped and it has happened

But nobody should come and tell me here how Olise ndah is better ,abeg I tire for nonsense ok

So because he took him time to play for naija ,but didn’t he later played for naija ? Which one be say rohr beg am ,abeg abeg no carry that leg come here

Nobody said anywhere that Ndah is better than Akpogunma.. Try to understand things...

Rohr caused this ..If he had given Akpogunma enough playing time, we would have been able to see how much he can offer the team..Forget his club form...Simon is playing for Nantes and is their best player,but in the super eagles,he is nonsense...

Until I see Eguavon team in action, I won't criticize the list at all...

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 12:26pm On Dec 26, 2021
kingphilip:

Even with your NB, you go see somebody for down go tell you say you de put Kroos to be the same level with Nwakali.

Watch and see

Hahaha
You got that one right
Na here we dey
Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 12:28pm On Dec 26, 2021
IDENNAA:

Ndidi has flopped in SE , big time. So, the question about his marvelous status in EPL is irrelevant here. If his presence is weakening the team let him sit.

Why do we always go on to concede whenever Ndidi is absent.

Ndidi is our number one player followed closely by Osimhen, then Nwakali, Balogun, Ejuke, Chuks, Dennis, Iwobi, Awaziem and the rest.

These players are unique and very outstanding and will always have a way of asserting their presence on the field of play.
They make very unique contributions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:29pm On Dec 26, 2021
Danielnino00:

Nobody said anywhere that Ndah is better than Akpogunma.. Try to understand things...

Rohr caused this ..If he had given Akpogunma enough playing time, we would have been able to see how much he can offer the team..Forget his club form...Simon is playing for Nantes and is their best player,but in the super eagles,he is nonsense...

Until I see Eguavon team in action, I won't criticize the list at all...

I am not even blaming eguavoen self ,I am just against something’s some people are trying to justify and that’s all .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:31pm On Dec 26, 2021
Meliforme:

Why do we always go on to concede whenever Ndidi is absent.

Ndidi is our number one player followed closely by Osimhen, then Nwakali, Balogun, Ejuke, Chuks, Dennis, Iwobi, Awaziem and the rest.

These players are unique and very outstanding and will always have a way of asserting their presence on the field of play.
They make very unique contributions.

Ndidi our number 1 player followed closely by osimhen and that’s pure facts ,but which one be nwakali balogun Ejuke Chuks others and the rest ,I don’t understand this

Is there anything nwakali has done for the eagles that I don’t know ,even ejuke self ?

Omo see as person rank nwakali above others cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 12:37pm On Dec 26, 2021
Oldboss:
I can't wait for this guy to flop big time at afcon
U praise him like u are related or is he your brother
Nwakali is not even better than Bonke and e u are saying he is far tactical than Aribo.

Do you even watch Rangers match?

Yes he is more tactical, technical and makes more contributions to defense than Aribo.
These qualities makes a midfielder.

Aribo is a more of a forward.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2021
Going to a tournament with 4 goal keepers
grin grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by markfem2: 1:01pm On Dec 26, 2021
The trouble with most fans on this thread Is that they are insatiable. No matter how good the intentions of the interim coach is, they will still find faults. There is no doubt the NFF is to blame for the belated sack of Rohr and the late/poor preparedness of the SE in the upcoming Afcon but at this point blaming and wailing should not be the issue. Eguavoen needs all our support at this time. If the SE wins the AFCON or ends up in second place, the current agitation by the NFF for a foreign coach will be put to rest.
However I will find fault with Eguavoen if he fields our starting 11 with the likes of Simeon, Iheanacho, Musa, Collins, Shehu, Ekong or even Akpeyi.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11944) (11945) (11946) (11947) (11948) (11949) (11950) ... (16249) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Charly17(m), realpoacher(m), Setaleonoz(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.