Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11653781 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12213) (12214) (12215) (12216) (12217) (12218) (12219) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:46pm On Jan 13, 2022
mirinder:
Uganda played a one one draw with iceland. I dare say African football has improved.
Iceland na great team? Anyway, the Icelandic guys will use Panadol and massage to hold body today grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:47pm On Jan 13, 2022
COOL10:

He go come dey smile as him dey stand up, knowing that his plan worked cheesy
grin grin

Master planner. VicMo na wizard abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:49pm On Jan 13, 2022
COOL10:

He go come dey smile as him dey stand up, knowing that his plan worked cheesy

gringringrin,

But that's his trademark nah always smiling, just like JJ

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:54pm On Jan 13, 2022
do4luv14:

gringringrin,

But that's his trademark nah always smiling, just like JJ

cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 12:55pm On Jan 13, 2022
daveP:
grin grin

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 12:56pm On Jan 13, 2022
Danielnino00:

Uzomedia, is that you? grin
I think he's the one. Uzomedia just posted about Onuachu winning the golden shoe and wrote SSE as it's source
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 12:57pm On Jan 13, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Lol

You guys are harsh on him sha ,I understand una pain because I know many people love ejuke here

Just the bitter truth bro. He needs to up his game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 1:04pm On Jan 13, 2022
Curtisaxel10:
"In terms of preparation and strategy, we had a special plan for Mohamed Salah because we know his quality,” Eguavoen told BBC Sport Africa.

“Basketball is one game that I love so much. When you are playing against the likes of Allen Iverson, Michael Jordan and others, if you don’t double-team you’ll have a problem.

“That is the same strategy that I bring into football. So when Mo Salah is with the ball, the closest person goes to him and the next person has to double-team to make him play back.

“It worked for us like 80%, but Salah broke loose on one or two occasions which is normal, but again congratulations to the boys because they are so intelligent.” - Austin Eguavoen.

Does this man realize that his opponents will monitor his press statements? Why explain your tactics to the world when the tournament is still far from over and you may need to employ the same tactic again? Let Eguavoen bridle his tongue o!

Typical Nigerian coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:07pm On Jan 13, 2022
Danielnino00:

Uzomedia, is that you? grin

FBI you catch am grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:11pm On Jan 13, 2022
Newcastle sign Chris Wood, well anything that will send Burnley to relegation is welcome by me

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:13pm On Jan 13, 2022
What does Caf and Snail have in common?

So they fully and adequately prepared for francophone commentaries, while we anglophones can lucozade away?

Another lack of preparedness both directly and indirectly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 1:13pm On Jan 13, 2022
daveP:
What does Caf and Snail have in common?

So they fully and adequately prepared for francophone commentaries, while we anglophones can lucozade away?

Another lack of preparedness both directly and indirectly.
supersport no dey comment on English

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:14pm On Jan 13, 2022
femianski:

I think he's the one. Uzomedia just posted about Onuachu winning the golden shoe and wrote SSE as it's source

There was a catch.

Now, that guy should man up and apologise for always stealing contents from this thread...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:15pm On Jan 13, 2022
Subzero047:
Newcastle sign Chris Wood, well anything that will send Burnley to relegation is welcome by me

Wetin burnley do you grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 1:27pm On Jan 13, 2022
daveP:
grin grin

Am telling you, anytime he went on that his runs, am always on my feet directly to the TV, if not goal, gonna see some sweet movement that can result to an assist, or the usually Diving all the way from mount Fiji to river naija

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:33pm On Jan 13, 2022
It's Sofascore and I do have an issue with the way they rate players performances sometimes.

A player can have a good game via assisting a goal and even creating 2 big chances but because he lost 5 of his 8 duels and missed 3 big chances and was dribbled past maybe twice... omo, your ratings will just drop.

But I notice this pattern doesn't always hold for some popular footballer names. grin
It is well. We go manage am like that. Thanks Goodness I got other stats apps and sites to always cross reference.

daveP:
Big joke

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:40pm On Jan 13, 2022
zoboizee:
Watching @Basco highlight of the Nig vs Egy match, i can boldly say CHIDERA EJUKE is a SELFISH PLAYER. He had Sadiq opened twice during the 3 highlights of Ejuke, he refused to pass the ball to him. On the third one, it was Iwobi & Sadiq, rather than pass to either of them, he chose self glory again. Upon that, he could not pick a decent angle on 3 different ocassions to bury his shots instead he was hitting it at the goalkeeper. Too damn selfish!

I like the lad and rate him but everything you have pointed out is true.

I mean, it was damn frustrating. The most annoying was the one he squandered after being neatly put through by Nwakali who took his time to carefully combine with him and orchestrate that beautiful counter attacking transition... Oya Ejuke, thanks for driving forward with your insane speed to the box... now fool the keeper and square it to any of Iwobi and Sadiq... Ejuke said Mbanu!! I MUST SCORE MY FIRST SE GOAL! I never score since my debut!

He needs to learn team work comes before Personal Glory Hunting. A real talent he is but he won't go far with such selfish on-field attitude. This is why I like Simon despite some bad times... Baba still works for the team. It's always Team first for Simon.

Anyways, I believe Ejuke will learn. He will come good. He still has time.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 1:45pm On Jan 13, 2022
safarigirl:

And possibly, another team who falls into the same category will go on to win it. That's what we're looking out for

We were making guesses before tournament started and we will continue to gauge teams as the tournament progresses
Me I'm not making any guess (es), just like how I predicted Italy was going to win the Euros before it started, this very AFCON will be contested between Nigeria and Cameroon.

That's the final game of this competition and we'll beat Cameroon.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 1:59pm On Jan 13, 2022
That post by TheLoneCitizen last week was the most vile and barbaric thought that shouldn't be coming from the anyone called a human.

The fact that he sat down, wrote the message, had an opportunity to modify yet still left it online makes him a disgusting thing.

Coming from a person who had been on this forum long enough makes it more distasteful.
But coming from one who has conversed freely with the victim, is appalling and animalistic.

TheLoneCitizen doesn’t deserve to ever have a say in this forum ever and the person hiding beneath that username deserves to feel the pain of losing a child.

100 percent deserve this.

So andrewbaba44 you don’t owe me any forgiveness, but you did, brother, and I deserve to rot in my apologies.

For those who tried to defend me and find reasons for my choice of words, brothers save your saliva for a better human.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 1:59pm On Jan 13, 2022
But the point remains this, I expected a backlash, expected criticism and 100% expected even more reaction than I got.

Now I know it’s “too much” as darkelf opined but it was a necessary evil, nonethelessly.
One which I’m deeply sorry about but absolutely do not regret.

When I made that post I tagged it with:
Seigolopa-emevigrof
which is an anagram (written backward) of Apologies-ForgiveMe.

There was also the Socexp tag which is short for Social Experiment.

Now this doesn’t make the post any less vile than it really is, but it outlines that I wrote it with no intention of malice.

But why did I post such abhorrent nonsense?

1 Like

Now in the lead to this post, I was heavily criticizing Osimhen’s choice of words on his social media and was in an intense but civil argument with safarigirl.

Her justification for Osimhen’s choice of words, and I quote, were:

It is a meme
He’s catching cruise
He is a public figure not public idiot
He is young
A man shouldn’t ignore unprovoked attacks
A man should stand up for himself
Osimhen was frustrated

Andrew joined the conversation and “stood with Osimhen”. How did Andrewbaba44 justify Osimhen:

Tweeting an innocent tweet
His tweet is not offensive
Osimhen has never insulted or trolled anyone
Napoli no dey complain for osimhen tweets but na nairalanders
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 2:01pm On Jan 13, 2022
So what did Osimhen really say?

Osimhen replied to AbiodunOx, who asked if he had COVID, with:

Go and ask your grandfather.”

Who very likely died in an unfortunate accident or who is dead anyway.

In fact, AbiodunOx has now deleted his twitter account and we will never know how this “cruise” affected his mental health.

Later, Osimhen replied to a woman, who advice he get an adult to handle his account, with
Be like say this one dey ment.”

Which translates to: It looks like this one is mad, or it seems this one is mad.

Joining both sentences, Osimhen said:

“It seems this one is mad, go and ask your [possibly dead] grandfather.”

TheLoneCitizen said:
“It seems you are mad, go and tell your…”

You can cite the differences.

Now to reiterate and I know this might get deleted by mods, not one single sinew in my body meant that statement as an insult. Never will I.

The reason why I used “dead” in mine was because I thought many people on this thread had forgotten the incident and the use of that term will remind quickly of how distasteful my comment is.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 2:02pm On Jan 13, 2022
But nobody liked your idiotic post, everyone blasted you.

That’s was the reaction I expected to Osimhen and the reason for this social experiment.

The reasons why I got not one positive backing and only 100% backlash are:
1. This is a close thread, and everyone here knows Andrew on almost a personal level.
Nobody knows the AbiodunOx or other victims of Osimhen's violence.

2. Everyone here knows the unfortunate tragedy that befell our brother, Andrew.

Nobody knows if AbiodunOx's grandfather is dead or not.

3. As a public figure the die-hard fans who will support Osimhen nonetheless will overwhelm the critics.

I am not a public figure.

4. People seeking favours for Osimhen nonetheless will back him, no matter his action, just as there were hundreds who supported serial killers like Ted Bundy.

What favour have I done for this thread?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 2:02pm On Jan 13, 2022
As safari girl put it and I quote: "Osimhen has done a lot for Napoli and Nigeria", so his excesses will be excused.

I have added nothing significant to this thread.

Does this lengthy epistle justify the heartless nonsense you posted? No

But reactions to what I posted, have inadvertently justified my point that Osimhen’s posts should not also be condoned.
What good has your baseless ‘experiment’ done to this thread?

When Osimhen replied to a so-called “unprovoked attack” on twitter, andrewbaba44 praised him and said he was “standing up to bullying just like Burna.”

He didn’t actually say this in his own words but he quoted safarigirl who said this and “agreed with all she said.”

So did Andrew respond the same way Osimhen did when put in a similar situation?

Despite backing Osimhen’s reaction, Andrew reacted in the total opposite.

Andrew never acknowledged my post and shockingly defended me who wished evil on him in the post below.

"Lonecitizen no even Dey throw banters self let alone to insult person ,I still like and respect the guy jare ,I just feel something went wrong with him

Thanks jare ,make we leave that matter and talk about the eagles ,that one don become past tense.
"

The only reason the backlash died down after just two days is because he urged the thread to “leave that matter.”

If we compare the two statements made to Osimhen and what I said to Andrew, it is clear which one could have easily been overlooked.

So according to safarigirl, Andrew not “standing up to bullying” makes him a man without “manhood.”

But the room doesn’t agree.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 2:04pm On Jan 13, 2022
Andrew’s mature reaction to my vile post, received the maximum likes that a small thread like this can generate.

TFLASHOGEE commended his maturity in the post below.

"Big up's for taking This matter with a pinch of salt grin cheesy grin more wins bro and better days ahead."

In fact of all the 20 mentions I got, only one person rained insults on me (which I deserve), and that was JoyIsSweet.

He/she said and I quote:

"It can never be well with you! “thelonecitizen” or whatever your name is; You will not end well."

Despite the fact that I deserved any reaction that came my way, TheGoodJoe slammed their choice of words in the post below.

"Please, do not let your anger make you say things you do not mean. I know he crossed the line with his words, and they are so hurting. Please, calm your anger. Sorry."

Even 12large1 whose acerbic fingers are well documented on this thread refrained from using strong choice of words.

So this thread of mature individuals showed Osimhen just how he was to behave in public, no matter how provoked he was.

Now I’m 100 percent sure that if anyone of you see me in person, at least one slap is smacking my face, but in a public face-less forum, you have all maintained decorum.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 2:04pm On Jan 13, 2022
So what has this useless experiment yielded?

1. Andrew (bro, no vex) who termed people who supported Donald Trump’s controversial tweets as “ass-lickers” did exactly the same thing he condemned.

Although he claimed to “stand by Osimhen” he failed to do this in both words and deeds.

While Osimhen was immature in his response, Andrew showed the exact opposite.

2. Safarigirl who said a true man is one who responds aggressively to insult very likely contradicts herself.

If I wish upon her a child that becomes aggressive, and doesn’t remain composed and mature, when he/she is insulted, she is 100 percent going to reject it.

If you accept it Safari, just quote this post with an amen and let the good God do his thing.

3. With all respect, this thread is full of the superficial.

Some weeks ago, TheSuperNerd blasted me for criticising players I claim to like. He said and I quote:

And I know you rate the lad (Ejuke) but at times it is as if you feel you have to drop one or two sour points on lads you rate so as to seem unbiased towards them.”

More recently Subzero047 was eager to differentiate his “love for Aribo and Balogun” with my toxic relationship with Onyekuru.

He said and I quote:

I report when they do well but the guy has a love-hate relationship with Onyekuru.”

Criticizing a player you love doesn’t necessarily mean you hate them, it just means you like them so much that you want to see them improve.

If you like Osimhen but criticize his actions, this doesn’t take anything from your affection, it just shows you want to correct the wrong in him.

Nobody on this thread has hyped Iwobi, Onyekuru and Dessers more than I on this thread, but nobody has criticised them more than I have.

In fact, in Onyekuru’s first game for Olympiacos where he scored his only goal, I still criticised his poor performance.

And today we see the result, because he has failed to work on his deficiencies, he has so far underwhelmed in Greece.

So criticism is constructive in nature, made to uplift someone and doesn’t take away your liking for them.

4. A lot of people will suggest that aggression is what works for Osimhen but this is a lie.

Pogba told the media a while back that Kante is one of the most driven players he has ever seen and that the Frenchman hates to lose.

And we see this in the way he aggressively makes tackles.

But off-the-pitch, he is the darling of football including opponents.

Bottom line: Osimhen’s aggression is very welcomed on the pitch, but off the pitch, especially as a public figure in this particular industry (not hip-hop), his best behaviour is expected.

2 Likes

The only coverage of Osimehn antics on twitter by a European media that I could find is by France's OnzeMondial, and they tagged Osimhen as violent.

https://www.onzemondial.com/can-2021/can-2021-nigeria-osimhen-craque-totalement-sur-twitter-et-insulte-un-follower-746551

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 2:04pm On Jan 13, 2022
nelszx:

Me I'm not making any guess (es), just like how I predicted Italy was going to win the Euros before it started, this very AFCON will be contested between Nigeria and Cameroon.

That's the final game of this competition and we'll beat Cameroon.

Okay.
Nice prediction.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:07pm On Jan 13, 2022
Analysis of Teams' styles after MD 1: Afcon 2021, with special focus on Nigeria's Super Eagles.

Courtesy: @OptaAnalyst

Note: Passes per sequence means average number of passes made before an attack.

1). Passes per sequence.
Nigeria's passes per sequence is just a little short of 2.5 passes per sequence. Meaning we didn't take things so slow in our buildup from the back before an attack. We were more direct. 1,2,3 passes and we were already threatening.

The goal for instance is an example.

Ekong to Aina... back to Ekong... Ekong moved leftwards and found Omeruo who drove forward on the left channel and found Simon with a nicely angled diagonal ball which Simon fed on to drive further forward down the left wing channel to put that cross in. I count about 4 passes there before that cross. Only 4 and gbam! Danger. Lol

A couple of such moves involved even shorter number of passes. Ekong straight to Simon and the latter crosses.
Or Omeruo straight diagonally to Simon and the same thing, he drives and crosses into the opposition box.

So we didn't really do much buildup or recycled as much passes. This partly explains why Egypt "out-passed" us even though we were Dominant in almost every other stats

Note that Algeria conducts a more patient build up play (4.2 passes per sequence). Same as Senegal (3.9 passes/sequence).

Even Egypt has a patient build up play. Theirs is 3.15/3.2 passes per sequence.

2. Direct Speed Upfiled

The other stat shows where we place graphically in terms of how quickly we get up the field from our defensive third into the opposition third/final third to threaten their goal or create something.

Ours stand at just under 2.0 meters per second (about 1.8 or 1.9 m/s).

You can see Sierra Leone and Burkina Faso are related to Route One. Lol.

Now for comparison, take a look at Man City in the 2020-21 season.

You can easily tell that Algeria is the Man City of Africa in terms of Build up plays.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 13, 2022
Subzero047:

These guys are not ready at all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 2:23pm On Jan 13, 2022
TheSuperNerd:

I like the lad and rate him but everything you have pointed out is true.

I mean, it was damn frustrating. The most annoying was the one he squandered after being neatly put through by Nwakali who took his time to carefully combine with him and orchestrate that beautiful counter attacking transition... Oya Ejuke, thanks for driving forward with your insane speed to the box... now fool the keeper and square it to any of Iwobi and Sadiq... Ejuke said Mbanu!! I MUST SCORE MY FIRST SE GOAL! I never score since my debut!

He needs to learn team work comes before Personal Glory Hunting. A real talent he is but he won't go far with such selfish on-field attitude. This is why I like Simon despite some bad times... Baba still works for the team. It's always Team first for Simon.

Anyways, I believe Ejuke will learn. He will come good. He still has time.

I love your objective assessment
It was well said

(1) (2) (3) ... (12213) (12214) (12215) (12216) (12217) (12218) (12219) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Cecco90 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.