Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (13207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11738933 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13204) (13205) (13206) (13207) (13208) (13209) (13210) ... (16176) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EgusiShankly: 6:09pm On May 27, 2022
TFLASHOGEE:
Ride on comrade Albert Einstein your IQ in detecting who is vawulence in nature dey amaze me I just check if one maize don ready make I use am hold body to complement your amazement wink
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 6:40pm On May 27, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
And what did Ighalo do? Dude left the team for two years.

What am saying is this; no one should be overly criticized cos of an ordinary football game. Okoye's status as a biracial Nigerian puts him at risk of suffering racist abuse packaged alongside emotional criticism. Just like what happened with Saka, Rashford and Sancho.
That's why his is more serious than other abused players. Racist statements can damage someone much more than ordinary abuse.
I don't honestly get what you are trying to prove. Ighalo was abused alongside his family yet he played the afcon qualifiers and afcon before calling it quit. And besides why are you trying to insinuate he was racially abused. Infact his case is less compared to yak and ighalo. Even uzoho is back in training despite the fact that he was also insulted after the Ghana game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:44pm On May 27, 2022
An established fact is that youths are the future of football and that is why every team around the world lay emphasis on having as many youngsters as possible on their roster.

However, international football is a bit different. It is well-known that clubs have the opportunity to sign players when they wish while national teams are not allowed the luxury.

In spite of this handicap, there is one hope for national teams. They can get players who have roots or connections to their countries to play for them.

This is why most national sides try to tie down talented players by capping them at the senior level quickly.

Nigeria have to move quickly for Arsenal wonderkid Miguel Azeez as he is one of the brightest prospects to come out of the Hale End Academy in recent years.

The 19-year-old was born in London to a Spanish mom and Nigerian dad, making him eligible to represent the national teams of England, Nigeria and Spain.

The central midfielder is a control freak who is already mastering the art of dictating the midfield tempo despite his tender years.

He has been capped at U16, U17, U18, U19 and U20 levels by England which is a testament to how highly rated he is.

However, Nigeria has one major advantage to explore when trying to get Azeez to play for the Super Eagles.

With the likes of Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, Connor Gallagher, Emile Smith Rowe and even Jack Grealish ahead of him, Azeez would have a tough time trying to break into Gareth Southgate's squad.

In the Nigeria squad, Joe Aribo, Alhassan Yusuf and maybe Alex Iwobi, depending on the tactical set-up, are the ones who have natural traits to play in Azeez's position.

Putting it simply, he has a better chance of breaking into the Super Eagles' first team than England's.

The Hale End Academy graduate is a top-drawer future star in the making and Nigeria would do well to move to secure him now before he is cap-tied by one of the European nations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:44pm On May 27, 2022
Dessers makes uecl team of the season

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:07pm On May 27, 2022
Odunayaw:
Bassey couldn't complete passes? The same match I watched? Habamana
Man...I don't know the match you watched but Bassey was poor in that match. He lost a lot of balls in a ridiculous manner as a pro.
But that doesn't mean he is not good. Every player have their off-days.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:38pm On May 27, 2022
charlesemeka85:
An established fact is that youths are the future of football and that is why every team around the world lay emphasis on having as many youngsters as possible on their roster.

However, international football is a bit different. It is well-known that clubs have the opportunity to sign players when they wish while national teams are not allowed the luxury.

In spite of this handicap, there is one hope for national teams. They can get players who have roots or connections to their countries to play for them.

This is why most national sides try to tie down talented players by capping them at the senior level quickly.

Nigeria have to move quickly for Arsenal wonderkid Miguel Azeez as he is one of the brightest prospects to come out of the Hale End Academy in recent years.

The 19-year-old was born in London to a Spanish mom and Nigerian dad, making him eligible to represent the national teams of England, Nigeria and Spain.

The central midfielder is a control freak who is already mastering the art of dictating the midfield tempo despite his tender years.

He has been capped at U16, U17, U18, U19 and U20 levels by England which is a testament to how highly rated he is.

However, Nigeria has one major advantage to explore when trying to get Azeez to play for the Super Eagles.

With the likes of Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, Jude Bellingham, Connor Gallagher, Emile Smith Rowe and even Jack Grealish ahead of him, Azeez would have a tough time trying to break into Gareth Southgate's squad.

In the Nigeria squad, Joe Aribo, Alhassan Yusuf and maybe Alex Iwobi, depending on the tactical set-up, are the ones who have natural traits to play in Azeez's position.

Putting it simply, he has a better chance of breaking into the Super Eagles' first team than England's.

The Hale End Academy graduate is a top-drawer future star in the making and Nigeria would do well to move to secure him now before he is cap-tied by one of the European nations.

Youth football is not senior first team football, there is a HUGE gulf.

How many games has he played for the first team ❓, he is 19 , how old was Saka when he became first team regular.

Is he better than Carney Chukwuemeka ❓
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 2:34am On May 28, 2022
komekn:

Youth football is not senior first team football, there is a HUGE gulf.

How many games has he played for the first team ❓, he is 19 , how old was Saka when he became first team regular.

Is he better than Carney Chukwuemeka ❓
We stand a better chance of landing Azeez than Chukwemeka as Austria will most likely call him up if he doesn't make the England team, similar to what happened in Ike Ugbo's case and Canada (it will take centuries before the lazy NFF remember his documentation for switching teams).

Also there are several players who have been called up to senior teams and capped that weren't established first team players for the clubs, the likes of Walcott and Solanke weren't first team regulars when they played for England.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:12am On May 28, 2022
Karlovych:
We stand a better chance of landing Azeez than Chukwemeka as Austria will most likely call him up if he doesn't make the England team, similar to what happened in Ike Ugbo's case and Canada (it will take centuries before the lazy NFF remember his documentation for switching teams).

Also there are several players who have been called up to senior teams and capped that weren't established first team players for the clubs, the likes of Walcott and Solanke weren't first team regulars when they played for England.
anything to throw dirt at the NFF, Ugbo will struggle to make SE 2nd string team. We don’t need him

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:50am On May 28, 2022
jihday:
anything to throw dirt at the NFF, Ugbo will struggle to make SE 2nd string team. We don’t need him
but you can't predict the future

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 7:25am On May 28, 2022
maidaboi:
but you can't predict the future
Some people just talk as if they are living in the future

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 8:17am On May 28, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Thanks for the update. Don't you think his English might be a challenge? Many of our players are sharp English speakers, especially the Foreign borns.

Either way. We judge him with the games to come and I hope he blends with the team. I think the team also needs an interpreter. Or Zaidu can assist of his Portuguese is fluent.

I think he has enough English to communicate his ideas on the pitch. Drawings and sketches can communicate tactical details more than thousand words.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 8:26am On May 28, 2022
Pls latest from super eagles camp ?What of alhassan yusuf? Is he in camp?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 9:39am On May 28, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

A Ghanaian took the ball away from him and left him like 30 yards behind. Even Bassey himself said he struggled and found it hard to breath.

You no see say I no argue again, once their fav make mistake they all go blind.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:42am On May 28, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

Thanks for the update. Don't you think his English might be a challenge? Many of our players are sharp English speakers, especially the Foreign borns.

Either way. We judge him with the games to come and I hope he blends with the team. I think the team also needs an interpreter. Or Zaidu can assist of his Portuguese is fluent.

Exactly what I was about to say. I think Rohr had the same problem. On many occasions it was clear that Rohr was struggling to properly express himself. I guess this was one of his weak points.

There are some complex ideas that you may need to communicate to your players which requires competence in the language of communication.

An interpreter would be great for the training sessions but what about on the pitch? Will he shout instructions through an interpreter?.

I think going forward, the NFF should focus on getting English coaches. Most of our players are born or based there anyway. They would be on the same wavelength with the players in terms of culture and language.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:49am On May 28, 2022
Meliforme:

I think he has enough English to communicate his ideas on the pitch. Drawings and sketches can communicate tactical details more than thousand words.

I don't think so. His English is very poor. How can he communicate phrases such as "gengen pressing", " high back line", "diagonal passing", "false nine" etc especially when he has to make tactical switches while play is going on?.

Communication is more important to coaching than many people realize. Maybe that is why Rohr hardly made in-game tactical switches—he probably didn't know the words to use!

Anyways, there are coaches like Pep, Jose and Klopp who have done well in leagues with languages that they are not too conversant with. I wonder how they do it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:03am On May 28, 2022
Curtisaxel10:

Exactly what I was about to say. I think Rohr had the same problem. On many occasions it was clear that Rohr was struggling to properly express himself. I guess this was one of his weak points.

There are some complex ideas that you may need to communicate to your players which requires competence in the language of communication.

An interpreter would be great for the training sessions but what about on the pitch? Will he shout instructions through an interpreter?.

I think going forward, the NFF should focus on getting English coaches. Most of our players are born or based there anyway. They would be on the same wavelength with the players in terms of culture and language.
Aguero, Tevez and most South American players struggled with English while in the EPL that didn’t make them less successful. Conte’s English is very Italian but he won the epl with Chelsea. Coach wey sabi sabi, language can never be a hinderance

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:05am On May 28, 2022
Today is the day

Please if you know your team didn't make the UCL final, don't quote me oo but I have all the right to quote you

Cc andrewbaba44, charlesemeka85

cheesy cheesy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:11am On May 28, 2022
Blueelf:
Today is the day

Please if you know your team didn't make the UCL final, don't quote me oo but I have all the right to quote you

cheesy cheesy grin

I want Liverpool to win

But if you loose you go collect
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:16am On May 28, 2022
Karlovych:

Ike ugbo Was never good enough ,don’t blame nff for that one
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:23am On May 28, 2022
andrewbaba44:

I want Liverpool to win

But if you loose you go collect

I'll be off this thread if we loose..

But I hope we win. Real Madrid has tradition on their side and a far superior midfield
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 11:30am On May 28, 2022
So Jose peseiro preferred formation is 5-4-1 and 4-1-4-1 grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 11:32am On May 28, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Ike ugbo Was never good enough ,don’t blame nff for that one
I know he wouldn't have been a regular for SE if he had picked Nigeria, but my point is countries compete for both players with potential to be in the first team and possible fringe players.

Boubacar Camara just got called up by France after expressing interest in Senegal, you wouldn't tell me he is better than the existing midfielders in France but it was good for France to have him as an option than for Senegal to do that.

Southgate has capped a few players eligible for other nations and later dropped them in case England needed them at some point in the future.

It's always a good thing to have a lot of possible options to pick from.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovych: 11:34am On May 28, 2022
jihday:
What about the 3rd team or 4th team. When Zaha, Maitland-Niles and Odoi were capped for England it wasn't for them to be part of the first or second team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 11:40am On May 28, 2022
cheesy
Blueelf:
Today is the day

cheesy cheesy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:44am On May 28, 2022
Blueelf:

I'll be off this thread if we loose..

But I hope we win. Real Madrid has tradition on their side and a far superior midfield

Nobody get time to troll Liverpool here

Almost everyone here wants Liverpool to win so why running ?

Na mancity dem hate for here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 11:51am On May 28, 2022
Karlovych:
What about the 3rd team or 4th team. When Zaha, Maitland-Niles and Odoi were capped for England it wasn't for them to be part of the first or second team
that's the problem bro. All the tym we dey form wetin we no be

Even countries like Argentina, Spain, Germany etc go to the extend of capping youth team players in their Snr teams just to wade off threats from other nations they are qualified to play for but instead of us to do same many will tell u such player must play at the highest level before he should be considered for the national. The same case that made us lose ebere eze

They are alot of this kids in the championship and 21s of epl clubs but we tend to wait until they hit stardom before we make move to lure them

The nff should try as much as they can to tie down Malcolm ebowei because with the noise surrounding his talent and next move he is one we will regret not capping when we had all the chance

Monaco, vitesse, man untd, spurs, Newcastle and palace are all battling to sign him from relegated derby county. Saw couple of his games for derby County during the 2nd half of the season and mudt confess he is immersely talented and one that will be of great importance to us in the future if we tie him down to wade off the Dutch and English from snatching him

Imagine how we would been regretting now if we didn't cap Bassey on time. Get this kids and feature them in few minutes to go in an afcon qualifier match and they are ours for life

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 12:21pm On May 28, 2022
Curtisaxel10:

Just fluent speaking english coaches will do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:33pm On May 28, 2022

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 1:07pm On May 28, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:27pm On May 28, 2022
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 1:52pm On May 28, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

Just fluent speaking english coaches will do.
Philip Cocu I think speaks English well
He would have been perfect
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 1:56pm On May 28, 2022
Blueelf:

Oga calm down

This guy na toddler na. Haba

grin grin grin grin
Oga a player plying his trade in the championship is not a toddler that league better than many back water leagues some of our players play in week in week out

Invite him and let him train wit the lads use few minutes to cap tie him and if he continues to improve keep calling him

You guys dont understand how this countries lure and keep talents up till now

The lad is a Dutch citizen as well

(1) (2) (3) ... (13204) (13205) (13206) (13207) (13208) (13209) (13210) ... (16176) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: solonnachi and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.