Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11724896 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14100) (14101) (14102) (14103) (14104) (14105) (14106) ... (16168) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:31pm On Jan 11, 2023
Danielnino00:

We should add 4 years because Benji says so? You have no evidence whatsoever to back up any of your claims..Just assumptions and assumptions. If this was a court of law,your argument would be thrown out the moment you present it... There are pictures of Ndidi with the u-17 in 2013 where he looks as young as his mates who passed the MRI back then...Go and check..
Let's say Ndidi is 4 years older en. Then he must have failed the test at 20y/o

So how does this help benji93 position that 20/21y/o Subsaharan Africans can pass

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 1:35pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mujtahida:

There's no doubt that age cheating is one of our national pastimes. Anybody arguing against this fact is dreaming
Two facts can exist

You're saying everyone should doubt everyone else ages because of a blanket fact?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 2:01pm On Jan 11, 2023
No my friend. I am not even saying he's 30. Pls listen. Listening is key. cheesy grin. I am saying even if you add four that would 30. Most players are just as good unless they have had several injuries extending over a long period of time into their prime, so your point that because he's still at least a decent DM now, he cannot have lied by at least 3 years is not great. Find another thing my brother.

As i said listen and listen. I was about to give you a breakdown of the reasoning behind my assertion and it's actually based on the most important study that informed FIFA's decision. You were certainly not following the conversation. I posted something else recently. I wat you to read it and get back to me.
Danielnino00:

We should add 4 years because Benji says so? You have no evidence whatsoever to back up any of your claims..Just assumptions and assumptions. If this was a court of law,your argument would be thrown out the moment you present it... There are pictures of Ndidi with the u-17 in 2013 where he looks as young as his mates who passed the MRI back then...Go and check..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 2:05pm On Jan 11, 2023
@Danielnino00, pls read this and answer the question. So far everyone has been dodging this and dabaruing everything. cheesy grin
benji93:
I think I need an audience here. I would like to know if my questions to this man GoodJoe are fair.

The discussion is about my claim that many 20/21-year-old Subsaharan Africans Players would pass the MRI test.

Note the keyword: Subsaharan African players.

As should be the case for any argument, @GoodJoe, said that was far from accurate. Fair enough.

So after running around in circles, we agreed to start again.

This subject particularly has an academic component. In fact, we are in luck we can have access to one of the most important articles FIFA based their decision on. I'll even show you why this is the most important.

My question to you all is simple. Isn't it fair to discuss this article and its references in order to draw informed conclusions on this matter?
Should these academic articles not be the first resort, instead of Punch, tribune, anecdotes e.t.c? I am not saying that these are not at all useful. But what should be your first stop?

If you are discussing an article you may want to be sure the other parties are following so you ask them questions. This is the crime i have committed my people. I asked questions. cheesy grin

Pls help me beg him to answer my questions. He's been dodging them. He runs away at the second step. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 2:19pm On Jan 11, 2023
Yeah. Bro's not moving anytime soon

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2023
Amedino99:
Yeah. Bro's not moving anytime soon
I think no club will pay that for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 2:33pm On Jan 11, 2023
maidaboi:
Why?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2023
Odunayaw:

So how does this help benji93 position that 20/21y/o Subsaharan Africans can pass
Gbam!
This question is worth millions of dollars. grin

Benji come and answer please.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 2:37pm On Jan 11, 2023
maidaboi:
Don't be too sure. Antony, Fofana, Endrick, Grealish are perfect examples. The transfer market is now more inflated.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 2:38pm On Jan 11, 2023
Unfortunately for you, I am not running from answering questions. cheesy grin. Answer my question first.
mostob:
Gbam!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 2:39pm On Jan 11, 2023
@mostob, read this carefully(very important) and answer.
benji93:
I think I need an audience here. I would like to know if my questions to this man GoodJoe are fair.

The discussion is about my claim that many 20/21-year-old Subsaharan Africans Players would pass the MRI test.

Note the keyword: Subsaharan African players.

As should be the case for any argument, @GoodJoe, said that was far from accurate. Fair enough.

So after running around in circles, we agreed to start again.

This subject particularly has an academic component. In fact, we are in luck we can have access to one of the most important articles FIFA based their decision on. I'll even show you why this is the most important.

My question to you all is simple. Isn't it fair to discuss this article and its references in order to draw informed conclusions on this matter?
Should these academic articles not be the first resort, instead of Punch, tribune, anecdotes e.t.c? I am not saying that these are not at all useful. But what should be your first stop?

If you are discussing an article you may want to be sure the other parties are following so you ask them questions. This is the crime i have committed my people. I asked questions. cheesy grin

Pls help me beg him to answer my questions. He's been dodging them. He runs away at the second step. cheesy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2023
mostob:
Gbam!

The article he posted make a case for MRI not being foolproof of chronological age. Nothing else.

The article makes an interesting turn. They made mention of a Ghanaian case

Another analysis that similarly employed wrist scans among young players found that three supposed 14-year-old male soccer players had stage 5 or stage 6 fusion. In that analysis, too, the authors similarly noted, “no correlation was observed between age category and grade of fusion.” But in both studies the authors dismissed the results —suggesting perhaps players were simply not aware of their real ages.

Now stage 5/6 should mean totally over the age of 17 right? Many would take the stance of the bolded

Why? They are age cheats! Technology has caught up with them

However, that's the stance that article is trying to correct

It's basically saying "There's no puberty research of Subsaharan Africa. So these 14y/o may actually be 14y/o. The MRI may be wrong"

How someone turns this to mean he can guarantee 20/21y/o is the majority of our U17 ought to be a wonder

One would think if 14y/o failed in Ghana and the Article is saying "hey! They may be 14y/o after all", then all hope is lost for 20/21y/o. No?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 3:06pm On Jan 11, 2023
maidaboi:
ADL moving like someone that used his personal money to finance the osihmen deal
It's either he uses osihmen to the last Kobo or sell him for a price higher than the purchase price. But then how many years did osihmen sign for
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 3:23pm On Jan 11, 2023
benji93:
@mostob, read this carefully(very important) and answer.
You've shared two papers

One says; A sample in sub‐Saharan Africa[Malawi] showed slower skeletal age development.

The other: [paraphrased] "There isn't enough research on Subsaharan Africa to determine"

Enter Ghanaian research: MRI SCANS OF THE LEFT WRISTS OF 86 PLAYERS ASPIRING TO PLAY FOR THE NATIONAL U17 FOOTBALL TEAM

Results
The mean chronological age of the players was 15.4 years (standard deviation ±0.7; range 12 - 17 ). The study showed that 43.0% of the MRI images were grade 6 (≥17 years) in relation to the degree of fusion of the distal radius, and 93.0% of the grade 6 players were aged 15 - 16 years chronologically. There was no significant correlation between the chronological age and the degree of fusion

Conclusion

Ghanaian U17 soccer players seem to be more biologically mature than a normative population of the same age category. The lack of correlation between age category and degree of fusion supports the suspicion that most Ghanaian players may not know their true age.

From this research, correct me if I'm wrong, I deduce that

- Ghanaian kids (sample for West Africa) do not have slower skeletal age development
- A 15/16 y/o [on paper] Ghanaian is 50/50 likely going to fail an MRI.

So how is a Nigerian 20/21y/o going to pass. Bring your research

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 3:33pm On Jan 11, 2023
Nope. That wasn't the paper I originally shared. I believe at least one of the papers you mentioned is a reference in the main paper I shared. You seem to be interested so let's go. cheesy grin
Are you aware of the most important study on which FIFA based its decision to adopt the MRI?
Odunayaw:
You've shared two papers

One says; A sample in sub‐Saharan Africa[Malawi] showed slower skeletal age development.

The other: [paraphrased] "There isn't enough research on Subsaharan Africa to determine"

Enter Ghanaian research: MRI SCANS OF THE LEFT WRISTS OF 86 PLAYERS ASPIRING TO PLAY FOR THE NATIONAL U17 FOOTBALL TEAM

Results

Conclusion

From this research, correct me if I'm wrong, I deduce that

- Ghanaian kids (sample for West Africa) do not have slower skeletal age development
- A 15/16 y/o [on paper] Ghanaian is 50/50 likely going to fail an MRI.

So how is a Nigerian 20/21y/o going to pass. Bring your research
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 4:09pm On Jan 11, 2023
[b][/b]
benji93:
Nope. That wasn't the paper I originally shared. I believe at least one of the papers you mentioned is a reference in the main paper I shared. You seem to be interested so let's go. cheesy grin
Are you aware of the most important study on which FIFA based its decision to adopt the MRI?
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dear-fifa-there-is-no-scientific-test-to-prevent-age-fraud/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2465138/#!po=41.1111

These are the two papers you shared. The Ghanian study was referenced in the former

What's the most important study. Post, I have time to go through it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
zuchyblink:
I am not sure but Ndidi is more than 30. His injury worries could be age related.

What of Aaron Ramsey, Theo Walcott, and Jack Wilshere? What of Ansu Fati? I believe their injury worries are age-related. Na wa for theorist. Ndidi grew up under the watch of a Super Eagles coach. His age is real. Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 4:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
Yes, this is the most important study.

And yes I did mention ScientificAmerican, but you may want to be careful referencing it. Be sure they are properly referencing their references.

You seem to be open to a nice exchange. So let's continue.

Would you like me to tell you why it's the most important paper to rely on? Or we can just move on?
Odunayaw:
[b][/b]https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dear-fifa-there-is-no-scientific-test-to-prevent-age-fraud/

These are the two papers you shared. The Ghanian study was referenced in the former

What's the most important study. Post, I have time to go through it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 4:22pm On Jan 11, 2023
Una still carry this age matter come 2023

Online Uncles and Aunties

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:27pm On Jan 11, 2023
benji93:

And yes I did mention ScientificAmerican, but you may want to be careful referencing it. Be sure they are properly referencing their references.

Would you like me to tell you why it's the most important paper to rely on? Or we can just move on?

My Gosh. Tell us how you came to such false conclusion. We are waiting.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:28pm On Jan 11, 2023
Do you want me?
Should I move on?
Is this it?

haba, bros, tell us how you came to such flawed conclusion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2023
Amedino99:
ADL moving like someone that used his personal money to finance the osihmen deal
It's either he uses osihmen to the last Kobo or sell him for a price higher than the purchase price. But then how many years did osihmen sign for
His contract expires in 2025 I guess
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:00pm On Jan 11, 2023
Odunayaw:
Two facts can exist

You're saying everyone should doubt everyone else ages because of a blanket fact?
My point really is that the prevalence of age cheating, has provided good grounds for doubts to be cast on the age of our footballers.
Are there people who give their real ages? Yes. Look at the 93 u-17 set for example. Those guys were either 17 or thereabouts. But Chrisantus and his fellow grandpas were totally out of the range.

All I'm saying is that if people don't cheat, nobody will have grounds to even cast aspersions in the first place.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:03pm On Jan 11, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

This post is devoid of the argument. We agree that age cheating is common in our country. That is why we embraced the MRI wrist scan wholeheartedly, at the cost of even losing some genuine players.

We are very strict with the MRI scan. CAF and FIFA are also strict with it. This has helped curb age cheating at U17 level. Plain fact.

Now these guys are coming with a very fake, bias and false theory that 20/21 years old pass MRI scan. That is a bloody lie and there is no source to back a blatant lie.

So subtle attack on me won't help bend the truth

Finito.
My statement is not related to the ongoing argument on MRI per se which in truth I mostly skip. I only supported komekn's factual statement that we have a culture of age cheating not just in football but in other areas of our national life.

I've not made any statement one way or the other about the MRI issue and its relevance to age cheating.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Kessie has more skill than Nwakali?? Oh because he is at Milan. Lol

Kessie is all power and Brawns. Not much brains.

When I said the bolded over a year ago, they classed me as a nonce and a joker. grin grin

Well, his stint at Barca have proven me right. He was bought for his power and Physicality but his inferior quality in the brainy aspect of midfield plays haven't even seen him assert himself well at Barca.

Kessie is more about power, brawns and not much brains. It has been obvious since his U17 days in 2013. I have followed his development closely and he isn't a brainy kind of midfielder. He's more of a tactically utilised Physical force in the middle.

When you know the game, you know the game. When you are always willing to learn, knowledge will always find you.

Time will always prove the right information, true.

He who knows doesn't need talk or type too much. Leave the overtalking for the ones that don't know.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:05pm On Jan 11, 2023
Odunayaw:

Very good question.. benji93 come and defend this claim with more allegations.. I dey wait..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:13pm On Jan 11, 2023
Victor Osimhen officially receives his Globe Soccer Award plaque.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:14pm On Jan 11, 2023
Hmmmmmmmm shocked

Nothing person no go see here cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:21pm On Jan 11, 2023
benji93:

You appear to be going around in circles and presenting arguments that are totally irrelevant to the topic of discussion. This paper you're referring to doesn't in any way support your argument that 20/21 years old Sub-Saharan African males can pass the MRI. In fact, it dismissed the idea...

Your argument has no bearing...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:22pm On Jan 11, 2023
Osimhen tiring opponents with his pace and movement, says former Juventus midfielder Ametrano
By JOEL OMOTTO

Former Juventus and Napoli midfielder Raffaele Ametrano is impressed by Victor Osimhen’s skillset which he feels makes him difficult to mark.

WHAT HAPPENED? Osimhen is known for his pace, tenacity and aerial strength while also possessing a powerful shot, qualities that have made him one of the most feared strikers in the world.

The Nigeria international has displayed all these traits in his time in Italy, and Sunday’s Serie A meeting with Sampdoria was a prime example, when he spotted Mario Rui on the ball and sprinted into the box, getting in between the two centre-backs, before connecting well with the defender’s pass to slot home his 10th league goal of the season.

Osimhen also showed his strength when he shrugged off two defenders to score from a tight angle in Napoli’s victory over AS Roma in October.

There was another top goal against Crystal Palace in a friendly match in December when he latched onto the ball in the penalty area, flicked it over Will Hughes’ head, before turning sharply and volleying into the bottom corner.

His goal in Napoli’s 2-0 victory over Sampdoria saw him take his tally to 11 in all competitions and 10 in Serie A, making him the league’s leading scorer after 17 matches, and Ametrano feels he will continue making life difficult for defenders.

WHAT DID HE SAY? “Victor Osimhen, he is a player who tires you to such an extent that you lose the decisive metre,” Ametrano told Italy’s Radio RCC as published by Tuttonapoli. “Even in [Sunday’s] goal, he had a 10/15 metre dash ahead of the defender.”

“It's not easy to mark Osimhen. He arrives with impressive clarity in the penalty area with the work he manages to do. If he manages to have physical and mental continuity, he will score a lot of goals between now and the end [of the season].”

THE BIGGER PICTURE: Osimhen has scored eight goals in his last 10 Serie A games to lead the Golden Boot race ahead of Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez, M'Bala Nzola of Spezia and Bologna’s Marko Arnautovic, who are all tied on eight.

With Napoli chasing a first league title since 1990, they will need the 24-year-old fully fit since he gives them a focal point in attack while utilising the chances created by the likes of Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and Piotr Zielinski.

WHAT’S NEXT? Osimhen will lead the line for Luciano Spalletti’s men in Friday’s Serie A meeting with second-placed Juventus, with a win set to see the Azzurri open up a 10-point lead.

Source: Goal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2023
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 5:56pm On Jan 11, 2023
elyte89:

U go stubborn for real life…na only u I sabi wey be say dem go leave argument for u,but u go still continue just to prove a point grin

TheGoodJoe really took out the patience to tackle the misinformation that benji and Komekn were peddling, to think that they have zilch data to back up their claim made their argument deformed and boring. I kept away from the argument because TheGoodJoe is more than enough to handle them for the next ten years if the argument were to stretch up to that interval.

Congratulation to TheGoodJoe.

8 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (14100) (14101) (14102) (14103) (14104) (14105) (14106) ... (16168) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Yachambliss(m), geonyte(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.