Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14751) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11783679 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14748) (14749) (14750) (14751) (14752) (14753) (14754) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:47am On Jun 19, 2023
Name the home based players that played those matches and won the Afcon at 1994? Name the home based players you want in the Super Eagles? I know people like you are just seeking attention. continue!
ecoco2014:
I am still waiting for an explanation as to why players from Obscure Sierra Leonean league teams will that don't have a bearing in CAF Club Competitions would be able to stage a comeback against established foreign names representing Super Eagles and we are comfortable because we won.
Back in the days in the last game of the 1st round of the USA 94 qualifiers against Congo-Brazzaville in Enugu we beat them 2-0 with more than 85% Home-based players. Against Ethiopia in the last qualifier for Tunisia 94, we beat them at home 6-0 with more than 70% homebased. We played good football and got results then. Clemens Westerhof came to our stadia to watch our local teams play and that was how an erstwhile midfielder for Bendel United called Benedict Iroha was discovered and converted to a defender for the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:49am On Jun 19, 2023
Mister man, when next you address me, try to be civil else you won't like my tone with you.

The fact is you and your ignorant likes keep referencing that SA vs Morocco game to push some foolish agenda.

The Moroccans didn't field their first choice midfield that shone so bright at the World Cup. How you didn't mention that fact but kept saying how Morocco lost and aren't good exposes your ball knowledge yet again as Crap.

And yes, SA in 2023 won't defeat the first XI Moroccan team that went to the WC. That is on period. They didn't even keep the ball vs a depleted Moroccan XI. They still got outplayed/outpassed.

Marjoribanks:
You talking football like a kid. You can hate Paserio no probs but saying South Africa cannot beat Morocco with their full squad is an ignorant statement. Even Cameroon beat Brazil. Benin draw Senegal, Madagasca drew Ghana, Equi Guinea beat Tunisia, Capa Verde beat Burkina. Football no be maths. Algeria struggled against Uganda, Ethiopia defeated Egypt etc. Morocco has not won anything in two decades. Only gotten to AFCON final once in two decades. Abeg rest that talk!

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:49am On Jun 19, 2023
wayodude:

I agree and disagree. What was Iwobi doing when he got his first call up? Many more example abound.
National team call up varies,some worked their socks off to make it and some got it on platter of gold.I remembered Theo Walcott made England 2006 Wotld cup team as non EPL player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:51am On Jun 19, 2023
Man of the match? How? He didn't even save any shot on target. Picking up crosses and simple header for man of the match? lol!
BankyGee:
My Man of the Match... I no know if na the same match wey I watch una watch, because 88% of una here dey talk say the keeper no good!

When he was called up, I went to check his stats and video highlights and I was impressed. This guy effing saved us - damn important saves! Only his movements between the poles gave me confidence I've never had in any Super Eagles 🦅 goalkeepers since Enyeama.

He's fast, quick-witted and knows exactly what to do at anytime. His dives are fun to watch - like catfish 🤣. His confidence level is just like that of African-best Chiamaka Nnadozie if not higher ✊🏾!

He saved us well! If na Uzoho dey that post, we for collect like 5 or 4, no cap 🧢😂... The guy use leg control ball perfectly o, with an incoming angry striker in sight 🤣 I fit bet my lecturer head say Uzoho go fear lose that ball 😂

Adebayo Adeleye Onana is what the Super Eagles 🦅 need now in between the poles 🔥

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:52am On Jun 19, 2023
He did. Stop the lies.

Sierra Leone had 4 shots on target. 2 were goals. What happened to the other two??

Marjoribanks:
Man of the match? How? He didn't even save any shot on target. Picking up crosses and simple header for man of the match? lol!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:58am On Jun 19, 2023
They could not beat Cape Verde with their presence! Morocco tactics at the world cup is mainly based on counter attack. Defending resolutely and nipping a goal or two. In africa they would need to attack more leaving their defence open. Most african teams will defend deep against them and their attack is not potent. World cup and African qualifiers are different! Ghana was a penalty away from reaching the Seminal final with a better squad yet have not won the AFCON in 30 years. So?
TheSuperNerd:
Mister man, when next you address me, try to be civil else you won't like my tone with you.

The fact is you and your ignorant likes keep referencing that SA vs Morocco game to push some foolish agenda.

The Moroccans didn't field their first choice midfield that shone so bright at the World Cup. How you didn't mention that fact but kept saying how Morocco lost and aren't good exposes your ball knowledge yet again as Crap.

And yes, SA in 2023 won't defeat the first XI Moroccan team that went to the WC. That is on period. They didn't even keep the ball vs a depleted Moroccan XI. They still got outplayed/outpassed.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:02am On Jun 19, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Name the home based players that played those matches and won the Afcon at 1994? Name the home based players you want in the Super Eagles? I know people like you are just seeking attention. continue!
Like I said you are seeking attention otherwise you would have read my previous post where I mentioned them: Edema Fuludu, Isaac Semitoje and Nduka Ugbade were the 3 Home-based. Uche Okafor was supposedly unattached though linked to Tracas FC on Anambra State at the time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:02am On Jun 19, 2023
Iwobi was actually a mainstay in the Arsenal team even this present Crystal Palace boss called him when he was about flying to Nigeria to play for us. Facts only. This same Crystal Palace coach facilitated Eze's inclusion in England's squad!
wayodude:

I agree and disagree. What was Iwobi doing when he got his first call up? Many more example abound.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:04am On Jun 19, 2023
But they beat Brazil yeah?

Look, all this one you are saying is off tangent. No one says Morocco is invincible.

The point is this: Morocco vs SA saw Morocco play their first Afcon Qualifiers game since the WC without their key midfield men and first choice GK. So screaming SA beat Morocco doesn't sound legit at all.

Morocco had 4 of their starters missing.

Marjoribanks:
They could not beat Cape Verde with their presence! Morocco tactics at the world cup is mainly based on counter attack. Defending resolutely and nipping a goal or two. In africa they would need to attack more leaving their defence open. Most african teams will defend deep against them and their attack is not potent. World cup and African qualifiers are different! Ghana was a penalty away from reaching the Seminal final with a better squad yet have not won the AFCON in 30 years. So?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:06am On Jun 19, 2023
Over 30 years ago you could only mention 3 players who even did not start any game at Tunisia and USA 94. lol. Paserio too called up 3 home-based players so what is your point?
ecoco2014:

Like I said you are seeking attention otherwise you would have read my previous post where I mentioned them: Edema Fuludu, Isaac Semitoje and Nduka Ugbade were the 3 Home-based. Uche Okafor was supposedly unattached though linked to Tracas FC on Anambra State at the time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:07am On Jun 19, 2023
Cameroon beat Brazil at the World Cup proper, so?
TheSuperNerd:

Look, all this one you are saying is off tangent. No one says Morocco is invincible.

The point is this: Morocco vs SA saw Morocco play their first Afcon Qualifiers game since the WC without their key midfield men and first choice GK. So screaming SA beat Morocco doesn't sound legit at all.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:10am On Jun 19, 2023
Which shots? Like I said, two simple headers that ordinary pregnant women will catch. The seirraleone keeper stopped two one on one. What are you saying>
TheSuperNerd:
He did. Stop the lies.

Sierra Leone had 4 shots on target. 2 were goals. What happened to the other two??

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 8:11am On Jun 19, 2023
TheSuperNerd:

What about Osimhen's injury
Hope it's nothing serious?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:12am On Jun 19, 2023
Same context that saw Tunisia beat France. Both Brazil and France had already qualified before those dead rubber games.

Same way Morocco rested players for a dead rubber game vs SA which you are so eager to keep referencing as something.

Marjoribanks:
Cameroon beat Brazil at the World Cup proper, so?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:13am On Jun 19, 2023
Adebayo also stopped a one on one that almost got him injured. You missed that?

I have to ask you same thing in bold.

Marjoribanks:
Which shots? Like I said, two simple headers that ordinary pregnant women will catch. The seirraleone keeper stopped two one on one. What are you saying>

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:16am On Jun 19, 2023
Nigerian fans are so/too arrogant that we believe we can walk into the pitch against any team dominate and beat them hands-down because of one perception of we were once fearless on the african soil and we are playing teams ranked 70,115,95 bla bla…
you beat a stubborn s/leone 2-3 that dealt with CIV/Algeria at afcon in an away match you still have the right to talk shhhhiii..
My own is even from the days of westerhorf,Keshi, jo bonfre we had so many ugly and beautiful matches we played.
no be keshi’s eagles congo come beat 3-2 for our home, and kenya come play 1-1 for home, abi no be under westerhorf we chop 5-1 (which i dont believe we dominated we were simply outplayed and beaten like thief) in our afcon opening match before going all the way to the final?…We are just to arrogant to imagine a team can at some point in the course of a match outplay us..most fans just want to constantly see Nigeria outplay,Dominate possession and win ALL GAMES against opponents.
and the funniest fact is even we beat lesser team who managed to score against us it means we have played rubbish and they will tag it as individual brilliance and rubbish the coach.
im very sure 20 to 30yrs from now generation of football lovers will at that time wish to have a team in the mould and shape of 2013&2014 (2017 to 2024….

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:18am On Jun 19, 2023
minfelix:
Nigerian fans are so/too arrogant that we believe we can walk into the pitch against any team dominate and beat them hands-down because of one perception of we were once fearless on the african soil and we are playing teams ranked 70,115,95 bla bla…
you beat a stubborn s/leone 2-3 that dealt with CIV/Algeria at afcon in an away match you still have the right to talk shhhhiii..
My own is even from the days of westerhorf,Keshi, jo bonfre we had so many ugly and beautiful matches we played.
no be keshi’s eagles congo come beat 3-2 for our home, and kenya come play 1-1 for home, abi no be under westerhorf wey chop 5-1 (which i dont believe we dominated we were simply outplayed and beaten like thief) in our afcon opening match before going all the way to the final?…We are just to arrogant to imagine a team can at some point in the course of a match outplay us..most fans just want to constantly see Nigeria outplay,Dominate possession and win ALL GAMES against opponents.
and the funniest fact is even we beat lesser team who managed to score against us it means we have played rubbish and they will tag it as individual brilliance and rubbish the coach.
im very sure 20 to 30yrs from now generation of football lovers will at that time wish to have a team in the mould and shape of 2013&2014 (2017 to 2024….
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:21am On Jun 19, 2023
dkay51:
Wait, so Rohr is Benin's current coach grin

E don use us get job for our neighbour hand and e no go fit charge them 50K USD

but he managed to hold the Afcon champion to a draw…when he was the Nigerian coach he defeated benin home and away

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:27am On Jun 19, 2023
TheSuperNerd:
Mehn, you guys keep pushing this result as if it is something.

Morocco were without their first choice midfield 3 vs SA because qualification had been secured.

No Amrabat, No Ounahi, No Amallah. Even Bonou was rested. No way SA wins vs a Complete Moroccan XI.

bros if those guys were there SA go still knack them, its not by names morocco football is not that formidable leave all those defensive game they played to get to semifinals…if e sure them make them reach round 16 in next worldcup…people wey ordinary Benin 🇧🇯 dey flog
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:32am On Jun 19, 2023
Kog45:
Okocha did not Oliseh and mind you Okocha was playing in bundesliga when he represented Nigeria in Mauritius but Oliseh came in straight to eagles from RC Leige in Belgium elite league and was astonished in his debut game against Ethiopia.
Augustine Okocha first played in the Flying Eagles U20 Mauritius 93 even though he played for Borussia Neunkirchen and Eintracht Frankfurt around same time notwithstanding. Augustine Okocha's debut was in the 1-2 loss to Ivory Coast in the 1st game of the 2nd phase of the USA 94 WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS(CAF SECTION). Sunday Oliseh also was called up to Super Eagles after Mauritius 93 tournament. They were in same team with the likes of Andrew Aikhuomogbe, Abioudun Obafemi, Taribo West, Felix Aladesanmi, Peter Ogaba, Benedict Akwuegbu, Sunny Nwachukwu, Patrick Mancha, Tijjani Babangida, Garba Lawal, Teslim Fatusi, Emmanuel Babayaro and if my memory is right Emmanuel Teberen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 19, 2023
Kog45:
South Africa defeated Morocco not a big deal in Africa football
Na big deal now oooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:42am On Jun 19, 2023
[quote author=minfelix post=123889667][/quote]
Try and be objective. Did you watch the Algeria v Nigeria opening match at Algiers 90? We were outclassed and beaten 5-1(Our only goal scored by Emmanuel Okocha. Westerhof was rebuilding with a greater than 70% home based team save for Rashidi Yekini at Africa Sports of Ivory Coast, Herbert Anijekwu and one other foreign based player. After that game we beat Ivory Coast and Egypt (1-0) respectively in the remaining group matches, Zambia (2-0) in the Semi Finals and lost to Algeria(0-1) in the finals. Save for the away loss to Cameroun(0-1) enroute Italia 90 where most foreign based were dismal that made Westerhof resort to rebuilding and the (5-1) eye opener (but rallying back to reach the finals was no mean feat) we played good football and obtained results unfer Westerhof and Home-based players were not a risk for him as they also delivered.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clint02(m): 8:43am On Jun 19, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Who be this. You dey misyarn bro

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:47am On Jun 19, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Iwobi was actually a mainstay in the Arsenal team even this present Crystal Palace boss called him when he was about flying to Nigeria to play for us. Facts only. This same Crystal Palace coach facilitated Eze's inclusion in England's squad!

Iwobi was an arsenal u-23 player when we first called him up.

He certainly was a 'mainstay' of the youth team at Arsenal. cheesy

I think we can try young/development squad players in the national team in areas where our options are poor.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:48am On Jun 19, 2023
Sarki don go dubai wink NFF and ladan bosso will collect their shares grin market don sell

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:52am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

Try and be objective. Did you watch the Algeria v Nigeria opening match at Algiers 90? We were outclassed and beaten 5-1(Our only goal scored by Emmanuel Okocha. Westerhof was rebuilding with a greater than 70% home based team save for Rashidi Yekini at Africa Sports of Ivory Coast, Herbert Anijekwu and one other foreign based player. After that game we beat Ivory Coast and Egypt (1-0) respectively in the remaining group matches, Zambia (2-0) in the Semi Finals and lost to Algeria(0-1) in the finals. Save for the away loss to Cameroun(0-1) enroute Italia 90 where most foreign based were dismal that made Westerhof resort to rebuilding and the (5-1) eye opener (but rallying back to reach the finals was no mean feat) we played good football and obtained results unfer Westerhof and Home-based players were not a risk for him as they also delivered.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 8:53am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

Augustine Okocha first played in the Flying Eagles U20 Mauritius 93 even though he played for Borussia Neunkirchen and Eintracht Frankfurt around same time notwithstanding. Augustine Okocha's debut was in the 1-2 loss to Ivory Coast in the 1st game of the 2nd phase of the USA 94 WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS(CAF SECTION). Sunday Oliseh also was called up to Super Eagles after Mauritius 93 tournament. They were in same team with the likes of Andrew Aikhuomogbe, Abioudun Obafemi, Taribo West, Felix Aladesanmi, Peter Ogaba, Benedict Akwuegbu, Sunny Nwachukwu, Patrick Mancha, Tijjani Babangida, Garba Lawal, Teslim Fatusi, Emmanuel Babayaro and if my memory is right Emmanuel Teberen.
Not to forget a Nwankwo Kanu that was on the bench most of the 3 group games played.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 9:33am On Jun 19, 2023
Odunayaw:
Since 2016

Last team I recall he was with was Remo Stars

He's back since last season. Coach Edith was sacked moved to sunshine utd. In akure.

Coach Ogunbote is now the coach of 3sc. Being long you watch Shooting stars.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:36am On Jun 19, 2023
My Man of the match was Victor Osimhen. Scored 2 goals and should've had 3 assists.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 9:40am On Jun 19, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Over 30 years ago you could only mention 3 players who even did not start any game at Tunisia and USA 94. lol. Paserio too called up 3 home-based players so what is your point?

Uche Okafor came in as a 75th minute substitute for Stephen Keshi in the 3-0 opening match.
Uche Okafor started against Egypt in the 0-0 2nd group game Isaac Semitoje started in the Semifinals against Cote D'ivoire. Nduka Ugbade was always introduced as a substitute in the 2nd half in the knock out phases and if I am not mistaken in the game against Egypt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:52am On Jun 19, 2023
soetanoreoluwa:

He's back since last season. Coach Edith was sacked moved to sunshine utd. In akure.

Coach Ogunbote is now the coach of 3sc. Being long you watch Shooting stars.
That's true o. I recall now that there was some publicity at the stadium in December

I have been up north for the year now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:59am On Jun 19, 2023
One has to highly applaud SA for maintaining their stadium 13years after the World Cup. Their Template for that should be emulated without any omission. We dey struggle to keep Abuja standard, with some of us here even hyping mediocrity with "it is manageable"

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14748) (14749) (14750) (14751) (14752) (14753) (14754) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), chrisooblog, geonyte(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.