Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,232 members, 7,836,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14752) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11784093 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14749) (14750) (14751) (14752) (14753) (14754) (14755) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 10:03am On Jun 19, 2023
BascoVanVeli:
Match highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntlKuov0pgc

"He obviously doesn't watch the Serie A"😂😂

I love your commentary, bro. Keep up the good work!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:03am On Jun 19, 2023
Odunayaw:
That's true o. I recall now that there was some publicity at the stadium in December

I have been up north for the year now

Ooh...no wonder. The stadium was renovated but they have issues of water cos the pitch is made of grass. They will be fine though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 10:03am On Jun 19, 2023
CONCERNING OUR LAST GAME AGAINST SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE AT HOME WE SHOULD ONLY INVITE 4 KEY FOREIGN BASED PLAYERS( A GOALKEEPER, A DEFENDER, A MIDFIELDER AND A FORWARD) . THE REMAINING 19 INVITEES SHOULD BE MADE UP OF ENYIMBA, REMO STARS, RIVERS UNITED, BENDEL INSURANCE, RANGERS INTERNATIONAL AND PLATEAU UNITED PLAYERS. IRRESPECTIVE OF WHO THE COACH IS OR WOULD BE GOING INTO THAT GAME, THIS WILL HELP OUR LOCAL PLAYERS GROW IN CONFIDENCE.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2023
daveP:
One has to highly applaud SA for maintaining their stadium 13years after the World Cup. Their Template for that should be emulated without any omission. We dey struggle to keep Abuja standard, with some of us here even hyping mediocrity with "it is manageable"
You are spot on, I was amaze watching the highlight. The pitch was classic cope with supersport spectacular cameras everything was just something else i though i was even watching European matches.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:10am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:
CONCERNING OUR LAST GAME AGAINST SAO TOME AND PRINCIPE AT HOME WE SHOULD ONLY INVITE 4 KEY FOREIGN BASED PLAYERS( A GOALKEEPER, A DEFENDER, A MIDFIELDER AND A FORWARD) . THE REMAINING 19 INVITEES SHOULD BE MADE UP OF ENYIMBA, REMO STARS, RIVERS UNITED, BENDEL INSURANCE, RANGERS INTERNATIONAL AND PLATEAU UNITED PLAYERS. IRRESPECTIVE OF WHO THE COACH IS OR WOULD BE GOING INTO THAT GAME, THIS WILL HELP OUR LOCAL PLAYERS GROW IN CONFIDENCE.
Grow in confidence to go to the Indian Super League abi

Just de play

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 10:17am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:
I am still waiting for an explanation as to why players from Obscure Sierra Leonean league teams will that don't have a bearing in CAF Club Competitions would be able to stage a comeback against established foreign names representing Super Eagles and we are comfortable because we won.
Back in the days in the last game of the 1st round of the USA 94 qualifiers against Congo-Brazzaville in Enugu we beat them 2-0 with more than 85% Home-based players. Against Ethiopia in the last qualifier for Tunisia 94, we beat them at home 6-0 with more than 70% homebased. We played good football and got results then. Clemens Westerhof came to our stadia to watch our local teams play and that was how an erstwhile midfielder for Bendel United called Benedict Iroha was discovered and converted to a defender for the Super Eagles.
So once any "bigger" country faces a good test from a smaller country full of home based they should immediately fill the NT with home based

Minnows will be minnows (no disrespect to them) because they don't have options. And theur history has ONLY upsets and not medals

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 10:33am On Jun 19, 2023
EMMANUEL SHINKUT DANIEL OF ORLANDO PIRATES SHOULD BE REINVITED FOR THE GAME AGAINST SAO TOME AS THE FOREIGN BASED GOALKEEPER
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:34am On Jun 19, 2023
jieta:
You are spot on, I was amaze watching the highlight. The pitch was classic cope with supersport spectacular cameras everything was just something else i though i was even watching European matches.

As far as SA is concerned,

Bad pitch
Poor Match coverage

Can never ever be their problem going forward for the next decade to come.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 10:38am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

Try and be objective. Did you watch the Algeria v Nigeria opening match at Algiers 90? We were outclassed and beaten 5-1(Our only goal scored by Emmanuel Okocha. Westerhof was rebuilding with a greater than 70% home based team save for Rashidi Yekini at Africa Sports of Ivory Coast, Herbert Anijekwu and one other foreign based player. After that game we beat Ivory Coast and Egypt (1-0) respectively in the remaining group matches, Zambia (2-0) in the Semi Finals and lost to Algeria(0-1) in the finals. Save for the away loss to Cameroun(0-1) enroute Italia 90 where most foreign based were dismal that made Westerhof resort to rebuilding and the (5-1) eye opener (but rallying back to reach the finals was no mean feat) we played good football and obtained results unfer Westerhof and Home-based players were not a risk for him as they also delivered.
will you give rohr or jpes a chance if morocco trash us 5-1 or even beat us 1-0 next year afcon opening game…im very sure fans back then would also be this arrogant if westerhorf plays any ugly game or u think trom 1990 to 1994 westerhorf played a 100% clean games…go and rewatch Tunisia 94 and see the way zambia played us even with a second team after loosing there main team to a tragic loss…we just believe we should be dominating and winning everything…even after a hard fought winning we go still dey arrogant
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by slimthugchimee2(m): 10:38am On Jun 19, 2023
BascoVanVeli:
Match highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntlKuov0pgc

Osimhen is a menace to defenders, we missed so many chances in this game

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:44am On Jun 19, 2023
Curtisaxel10:

"He obviously doesn't watch the Serie A"😂😂

I love your commentary, bro. Keep up the good work!

Osimhen was provider for almost everyone making way into the box yesterday. Totally involved in build up. A sane coach eith better eye will try to find his Bruno Fernandes/Gundogan from the middle to be at the right place for goal. But......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 10:49am On Jun 19, 2023
minfelix:

will you give rohr or jpes a chance if morocco trash us 5-1 or even beat us 1-0 next year afcon opening game…im very sure fans back then would also be this arrogant if westerhorf plays any ugly game or u think trom 1990 to 1994 westerhorf played a 100% clean games…go and rewatch Tunisia 94 and see the way zambia played us even with a second team after loosing there main team to a tragic loss…we just believe we should be dominating and winning everything…even after a hard fought winning we go still dey arrogant
You obviously didn't read through my reply neither did you watch the Algeria drubbing of Nigeria(5-1)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 10:51am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:
EMMANUEL SHINKUT DANIEL OF ORLANDO PIRATES SHOULD BE REINVITED FOR THE GAME AGAINST SAO TOME AS THE FOREIGN BASED GOALKEEPER
WILLIAM TROOST EKONG, AZUBUIKE OKECHUKWU AND AMINU UMAR FOR ME ARE THE OTHER 3 THAT SHOULD BE INVITED FOR THE SAO TOME GAME.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 10:55am On Jun 19, 2023
minfelix:

I WATCHED TUNISIA 94 AND WE WERE TACTICALLY BETTER HENCE WE WON THE FINALS. WE WERE ONLY OUTPLAYED BY THE MICHEL BASSOLE IVORIEN TEAM IN THE SEMI FINALS.
POINTS WAS WESTERHOF REBUILT A TEAM MAINLY ON HOME BASED PLAYERS AND BOUNCED BACK FROM A 5-1 OPENINGDEFEAT TO GET TO THE FINAL SO MUCH FOR A MORAL BOOSTING COACH THAT WENT BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD TO GET HIS ACTS RIGHT IN THE NEXT GAME.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 10:59am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

The Super eagles isn't a confidence Farm.

If you are good, you are good. If not, you just need to improve. I will want the Coaches to try out new legs Yeah. But it should be base on merit and not qouta system

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:00am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

Augustine Okocha first played in the Flying Eagles U20 Mauritius 93 even though he played for Borussia Neunkirchen and Eintracht Frankfurt around same time notwithstanding. Augustine Okocha's debut was in the 1-2 loss to Ivory Coast in the 1st game of the 2nd phase of the USA 94 WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS(CAF SECTION). Sunday Oliseh also was called up to Super Eagles after Mauritius 93 tournament. They were in same team with the likes of Andrew Aikhuomogbe, Abioudun Obafemi, Taribo West, Felix Aladesanmi, Peter Ogaba, Benedict Akwuegbu, Sunny Nwachukwu, Patrick Mancha, Tijjani Babangida, Garba Lawal, Teslim Fatusi, Emmanuel Babayaro and if my memory is right Emmanuel Teberen.
Oga,Sunday Oliseh did not played Mauritius 93.I can give you the squad names off head.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:00am On Jun 19, 2023
watching the highlight of the match posted by oga Basco, its safe to that super eagles were wasteful meeehhn osimhen two goals plus chukwueze two one on one misses plus osimhen ruled out goal..we for don wire them 5-0 first half, although they would be hoping to do another comeback..we should learn to kill off these games

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tega9999: 11:01am On Jun 19, 2023
Good Day SuperNerd!!
I learnt from your comments that you are in the Medical field. I recently graduated from a medical course and would love to link up with you.
TheSuperNerd:
I dont want the coaching job. I have a job in the medical world.
Also even if I wanted it, I don't meet any of the criteria as I have no coaching certificate. I am rather an analyst of the beautiful game. Last time I checked, there is no qualification/certification for football analysis beyond a true understanding of the game and its tactical and technical interpretations.

I just want us to be better. You, on the other hand, think we are perfect. Different standards birth Different expectations.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:07am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

I WATCHED TUNISIA 94 AND WE WERE TACTICALLY BETTER HENCE WE WON THE FINALS. WE WERE ONLY OUTPLAYED BY THE MICHEL BASSOLE IVORIEN TEAM IN THE SEMI FINALS.
POINTS WAS WESTERHOF REBUILT A TEAM MAINLY ON HOME BASED PLAYERS AND BOUNCED BACK FROM A 5-1 OPENINGDEFEAT TO GET TO THE FINAL SO MUCH FOR A MORAL BOOSTING COACH THAT WENT BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD TO GET HIS ACTS RIGHT IN THE NEXT GAME.
bro i understand we were tactically better but those guys gave us crazy game especially after them taking the lead so much for a second fiddle team..all im saying is that no matter how formidable a Nigerian team can be some of these lesser teams to us will still play us correct game and even at some point dominate proceedings

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:11am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

i will never downplay baba westerhorf achievements and his technical and tactical input…my own is that we also struggled with some lesser teams during his time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:14am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

You obviously didn't read through my reply neither did you watch the Algeria drubbing of Nigeria(5-1)
i dont need to watch it all im saying is that even in our perceived golden days we were also being schooled.. whether building or not before that game we were once afcon champions, so much for a former afcon champ being beaten 5-1…rebuilding or not that was too much we no be lesotho or comoros…but all the same westerhorf was a masterclass coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 11:16am On Jun 19, 2023
Kog45:
Oga,Sunday Oliseh did not played Mauritius 93.I can give you the squad names off head.
You didn't even watch the games then.
Give the remaining squad names apart from the ones I had mentioned earlier
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 11:17am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

Augustine Okocha first played in the Flying Eagles U20 Mauritius 93 even though he played for Borussia Neunkirchen and Eintracht Frankfurt around same time notwithstanding. Augustine Okocha's debut was in the 1-2 loss to Ivory Coast in the 1st game of the 2nd phase of the USA 94 WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS(CAF SECTION). Sunday Oliseh also was called up to Super Eagles after Mauritius 93 tournament. They were in same team with the likes of Andrew Aikhuomogbe, Abioudun Obafemi, Taribo West, Felix Aladesanmi, Peter Ogaba, Benedict Akwuegbu, Sunny Nwachukwu, Patrick Mancha, Tijjani Babangida, Garba Lawal, Teslim Fatusi, Emmanuel Babayaro and if my memory is right Emmanuel Teberen.
Kog45, Give the remaining squad names apart from the ones I had mentioned earlier.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 11:18am On Jun 19, 2023
minfelix:

i will never downplay baba westerhorf achievements and his technical and tactical input…my own is that we also struggled with some lesser teams during his time
Name 2 lesser teams we struggled with. Name one time in his reign that we lost at home in qualifiers for Nations Cup or World Cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 11:39am On Jun 19, 2023
Kog45:
Asides Precious Monye who are the remaining 2 or 3players you can name?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:44am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

Name 2 lesser teams we struggled with. Name one time in his reign that we lost at home in qualifiers for Nations Cup or World Cup.
1990 to 1994 teams like sudan, uganda, ethiopia were lesser teams to us we could only finish them off at home we were struggling to beat them away some of them even they beat us for there homes sef

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 11:46am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

1990 to 1994 teams like sudan, uganda, ethiopia were lesser teams to us we could only finish them off at home we were struggling to beat them away
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 11:47am On Jun 19, 2023
minfelix:

1990 to 1994 teams like sudan, uganda, ethiopia were lesser teams to us we could only finish them off at home we were struggling to beat them away some of them even they beat us for there homes sef

Ethiopia beat us in an AFCON qualifier in 1993
Uganda held us to a draw in Kampala, had they won that game we wouldn't have qualified for the 1994 AFCON and they missed a penalty. Rufai was in goal.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 11:51am On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

I think Okocha's debut was in the 4-1 win against Algeria in Lagos in the 1994 WCQ.

He didn't play in the 1-2 loss to CIV in the previous match day.

Oliseh was not part of the Mauritius 93 u-20 AFCON. I don't remember him being there.

His debut for Nigeria was in the home win against either Ethiopia or Sudan (can't remember exactly which one). We won that game (Oliseh's debut) 6-0!!

He was pure class!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 11:53am On Jun 19, 2023
wayodude:

I think Okocha's debut was in the 4-1 win against Algeria in Lagos in the 1994 WCQ.

He didn't play in the 1-2 loss to CIV in the previous match day.

Oliseh was not part of the Mauritius 93 u-20 AFCON. I don't remember him being there.

His debut for Nigeria was in the home win against either Ethiopia or Sudan (can't remember exactly which one). We won that game (Oliseh's debut) 6-0!!

He was pure class!
Okocha's debut was our 2-1 loss to Ivory Coast in Abidjan. He partnered Christopher Nwosu in Midfield.
Oliseh was at Mauritius 93.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ecoco2014(m): 11:57am On Jun 19, 2023
wayodude:

Ethiopia beat us in an AFCON qualifier in 1993
Uganda held us to a draw in Kampala, had they won that game we wouldn't have qualified for the 1994 AFCON and they missed a penalty. Rufai was in goal.
Ethiopia beat us 1-0 in Addis Ababa not Lagos, Enugu or Ibadan(where Super Eagles more often played home matches). Uganda could not beat us in Kampala even with their dreaded Majid Musisi or however his surname was spelt then.
I don't remember Rufai being in goal for the 0-1 loss to Ethiopia. He was the Captain for the 6-0 drubbing of Ethiopia and scored a penalty kick goal in the match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 12:13pm On Jun 19, 2023
ecoco2014:

Ethiopia beat us 1-0 in Addis Ababa not Lagos, Enugu or Ibadan(where Super Eagles more often played home matches). Uganda could not beat us in Kampala even with their dreaded Majid Musisi or however his surname was spelt then.
I don't remember Rufai being in goal for the 0-1 loss to Ethiopia. He was the Captain for the 6-0 drubbing of Ethiopia and scored a penalty kick goal in the match.
whether home or away the 1-0 was upset, my point remains we weren’t a 100% perfect team

(1) (2) (3) ... (14749) (14750) (14751) (14752) (14753) (14754) (14755) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mikhe2(m), elunico, Odunayaw(m), Pidginwhisper, caprikon and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.