Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,899 members, 7,810,455 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:20 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16040) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11596928 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16037) (16038) (16039) (16040) (16041) (16042) (16043) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:54am On Mar 28
jihday:
Not good news about Sadiq Umar coming from Super Eagles camp as it was reported that he refused to shake Finidi cos he didn't have playing time during both friendlies.
Source: Poojamedia on twitter

Haaa. That's serious. 1st Musa with Jpes at Afcon. Now Sadiq with Finidi. Playing time palava. Why Sadiq?

He's sound but he can't distribute 180minutes between the players in camp? Okay then.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:56am On Mar 28
Kog45:
Remain Ejuke,Ebuehi and Nwakali to be seen,hope they will impressed

Nwakali should not be in the conversation.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 9:05am On Mar 28
lovewins:

I agree with you for the most part save for "football tactics" part. While I do not downplay the importance of football tactics, that sadly isn't the primary problem of most Nigerian coach.

Success is football is 90% Psyche and 10% skill. Average players with the best mental frame and great motivation will beat very skilled players with very little motivation and messed up psyche. Sir Alex Ferguson wasn't known for his tactics as his players have since confirmed. He was however a great motivator. He knew how to get the best out of his players. This was what the Big Boss of blessed Memory Stephen Keshi was known for. Keshi showed immense respect for his players and they respected him in return. He was reported to have motivated his players to play for him and almost always choose players that fit this mold.

The bunch of Nigerian coaches we have today are well learned but too distracted. They have all the UEFA badges, but will allow sentiments, ego etc to destroy their dressing room.
I don't know about that sir Alex part. You don't win 2 UCL, 13 epl among other trophies by being a great motivator. Coaches in his era tended to simplify their tactics to their players for better understanding rather than calling it fancy names like now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 9:06am On Mar 28
comodo:

The one he played against Algeria. That CAF had to award 3 points to Algeria.
Zambia was not our last game tho.
oh that's true.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 9:10am On Mar 28
Amedino99:
I don't know about that sir Alex part. You don't win 2 UCL, 13 epl among other trophies by being a great motivator. Coaches in his era tended to simplify their tactics to their players for better understanding rather than calling it fancy names like now.

Well, I didn't say it, it was interfered from an interview given by a former man u player (I tried to look for the source but can't find it now).

Also coaches necessarily do not have to have it all figured out tactically, it's why they have a backroom staff. Ferguson reportedly doesn't even handle trainings. He was a great motivator, had a eye for talent and very disciplined. He however had a fantastic backroom staff.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 9:14am On Mar 28
Danielnino00:
Two games are not enough to rate a coach, true, but it can give some hints of what to expect from the coach going forward. In Finidi's case, I would say his problem was players selection..
It makes no sense not to play the likes of Tella and Dele-Bashiru in a friendly.. Also benching Lookman, one of the best player at the AFCON over two legs.. I hope his decision wasn't influenced by sentiments.. sentimental selection has always been the bane of Nigerian coaches.. it was one of the things that affected Keshi's tenure as coach....always selecting funny names in his list despite being tactically sound..
his 'injured strikers' excuse doesn't even make sense. We can't always rely on osimhen due to his injury record so why not try other strikers in every opportunity that we have. Umar's action was not proper but it's expected given how he was treated. There was no sense in not fielding other invited players, it's a friendly not a competitive match. Seems he inherited the stubbornness of jpes when it comes to playing the same lineup.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 9:20am On Mar 28
victornoah:

Nigeria is filled with very sentimental humans. The truth is that, we currently do not have a local coach that understands anything about Football tactics. They don't even know how to switch from one formation to another while the match is ongoing.

Funny as it may, some humans will come for you for being blunt and honest, just to suit their narratives.

For Finidi not to have played Nathan Tella, one of the hottest players in Bayer Leverkusen, shows how Biased he his to some players. But this same Finidi was happy to play a Tanzanian-based player. That means, if he was given the opportunity to invite players, he wouldn't have invited Tella, and even Lookman.
as good as this sounds, it is not confirmed however I still feel tactical ineptitude or not understanding how to use these players or being overwhelmed by the response of the Malian coach tactics so he decided to stick with personnel that he feels can grind out results for him. I don't see why any coach will be biased towards a player that can save his job though I will still blame him for some decision . Let's stop all these hasty generalisation.that is some bottom level childish behaviour from Sadiq and he should be careful this doesn't follow him going forward. I see a proud player. Baba no be even Messi. Very nauseating character.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:22am On Mar 28
Marjoribanks:
Thank you my brother!
If Salisu was the one that kept Onyedika and Iheanacho on the bench and played Alhassan and Sadiq for 180 minutes losing 2nil to Mali.
We all know how the narrative would have been.
I called out Ladan Bosso, who da ff is Finidi that he can't be called out!
Until we are honest with ourselves, this country will not move anywhere.
I will be beyond surprise, if Finidi even get the Assistant role with the info I have!

Boss with d info u av….sheyb na my name Dey dere?

Are we going for a local or foreign coach?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:02am On Mar 28
Marjoribanks:
Thank you my brother!
If Salisu was the one that kept Onyedika and Iheanacho on the bench and played Alhassan and Sadiq for 180 minutes losing 2nil to Mali.
We all know how the narrative would have been.
I called out Ladan Bosso, who da ff is Finidi that he can't be called out!
Until we are honest with ourselves, this country will not move anywhere.
I will be beyond surprise, if Finidi even get the Assistant role with the info I have!

Here is another shameless octogenarian that can't handle his emotions. You are already leaning towards ethic bias because to you and your ilks, anything beyond Ondo is Igbo.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:20am On Mar 28
Hmmmm this thread sha, nothing dey surprise me at all, make una kweantinue cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:47am On Mar 28
ChrisKels:

I know where this statement stems from, and you have used it here severally and we know why you make such statements. Last last na tribalism go kpai you. Everyone including us that are the so called "we" are criticising Finidi for his wackness but a certain cretin from the western part of the country is already making it look like Finidi's choice of players was influenced by ethnicity, hence, he left out Dele, Ademola and Umar because to him, wetin people from those regions wan play, na only "we" sabi play ball? Omokunrin ti o ba wa gidigidi Karachi

Findi used his own mouth to say.....wetin dis one one play by stating categorically and I quote "if we had our injured strikers available, we would have changed the one on the pitch immediately. Losing two strikers forced us to play wide and as an aggressive team"

As you can see, nobi me talk am. He expressed on the field and in words. grin

Why you come carry am for head like gala? grin

Are you trying to exonerate him? No bi tribalist you bi bi dat? grin

Okay, you're defending a co worker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:12am On Mar 28
jihday:
Not good news about Sadiq Umar coming from Super Eagles camp as it was reported that he refused to shake Finidi cos he didn't have playing time during both friendlies.

grin

Finidi sef fúckup. You have a fit Striker in Sadiq, yet you played a Winger upfront.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzerooo: 11:47am On Mar 28
forgiveness:

Findi used his own mouth to say.....wetin dis one one play by stating categorically and I quote "if we had our injured strikers available, we would have changed the one on the pitch immediately. Losing two strikers forced us to play wide and as an aggressive team"

For your mind the reason Finidi George didn't play Umar was because he was hausa, not because he has not impressed in any of the multiple chances given to him in the NT?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 12:33pm On Mar 28
forgiveness:
"This is a team that keeps the ball very well but if we had our injured strikers available, we would have changed the one on the pitch immediately. Losing two strikers forced us to play wide and as an aggressive team, we did all we could. And you know football is all."

See as this guy belittled Umar and he wanted to shake him after disrespecting him openly. grin

Now, I understand why he didn't play some players and even gave Lookman who is arguably our best player in Europe few minutes.

He doesn't rate them. No bi we we. grin
why must everything with you be about tribe? Don't you think people have other reasons to be biased about other than tribe?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 12:47pm On Mar 28
daveP:

Haaa. That's serious. 1st Musa with Jpes at Afcon. Now Sadiq with Finidi. Playing time palava. Why Sadiq?

He's sound but he can't distribute 180minutes between the players in camp? Okay then.

There is nothing brainy about him.
He will be a disaster as super eagles coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 12:50pm On Mar 28
forgiveness:

How Finidi foolish team selection take be tribalism?

The man does nt look a tribalist but only incompetent.

If he was a tribalist he would've invited Terem Moffi sef. He is from south south not even from the south east as your mind dey carry u go

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 12:56pm On Mar 28
jihday:

Why should a sound coach not know how to give all his invited players minutes to play in a friendly?

I don't expect much from him at all. He should be made to manage the Chan team while he understudy and assist that Pep assistant
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:25pm On Mar 28
komekn:

Not necessarily because intelligence is not held with the majority but the minority.

And an argument of ideas,views is not based on democracy of the majority.

In reality an argument that is opinionated is not won by numbers.

When you have an uninformed, ignorant, retrogressive electorate moved by sentiment and prejudice. What type of leaders will they vote for and or allow criminal corruption to foister and impose upon them ❓

Foolishness it is often said rests with the Majority.
especially on the social media

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by semid4lyfe(m): 2:21pm On Mar 28
Keep the discussion on football.

If this thread is derailed further and spirals down the path of ethnicity, I will sanction those involved heavily.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:36pm On Mar 28
humility33:

How Finidi foolish team selection take be tribalism?

The man does nt look a tribalist but only incompetent.

If he was a tribalist he would've invited Terem Moffi sef. He is from south south not even from the south east as your mind dey carry u go

Where did you see that in my post?

Do you think I am not informed about Finidi's state of origin?

Focus on the point that Finidi's selection and excuse that lack of striker caused him the game when he had Umar. That was a lame excuse.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:41pm On Mar 28
That Finidi fall hand.

Any local coach that wants to coach our national team must first distinguish himself at the continental level. He must at least get to the finals of CAF championship.

The only local coach i want is Siasia but unfortunately he is on ban.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 4:15pm On Mar 28
Here’s my take. Finidi George is not a serious coach.

Friendly matches are used to give other players a platform to show what they can offer and bring to the table . The dude just wasted Tella, Sadiq and Fisayo time in the 2 games he played. It’s a friendly game ffs!!! Omo!! I am still shocked. Why was he scared to introduce them, inspite loosing and his players not doing well.

Seriously we need a serious coach, possibly a foreign no nonsense coach.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joezinho: 4:17pm On Mar 28
forgiveness:
That Finidi fall hand.

Any local coach that wants to coach our national team must first distinguish himself at the continental level. He must at least get to the finals of CAF championship.

The only local coach i want is Siasia but unfortunately he is on ban.

The best local coach for the eagles remains Samson Siasia, unfortunately his ban ends in August.

He remains the best Nigerian coach with the best playing pattern.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (16037) (16038) (16039) (16040) (16041) (16042) (16043) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: comodo and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.