Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,834 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16039) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11609666 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16036) (16037) (16038) (16039) (16040) (16041) (16042) ... (16126) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:54pm On Mar 27
jihday:
I hope you are happy now

😀😀😀 baba say crisp passing

No worry jihday …once I clinch d job, u won’t even c awaziem,collins and dressers near d stadium 🏟️ let alone of sitting on d bench 😎
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 8:56pm On Mar 27
chuks404:
I don't really understand how we watch football. The only thing that is making us not winning this game is the personnel. A nigeria team possessing the ball is phenomenal. I love the way the guys play though some players didn't help with the set up. Besides this is a friendly match. Finidi is sound.

Thank you so much, Finidi is sound, i mean very sound.

The problem is the playing personel, if Finidi was the one who compiled the list of invited players, that's when i would have come heavily on him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 8:58pm On Mar 27
Amedino99:
the sheu that won the motm in the final match against Zambia or which sheu are you talking about.
The one he played against Algeria. That CAF had to award 3 points to Algeria.
Zambia was not our last game tho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 9:01pm On Mar 27
Oasis007:
grin

....coz we lost to Mali, we shouldn't give Finidi a shot? LOL!

I guess its Finidi that made both Simon and Dessers missed one on one?!

We should read and look beyond the loss, cos Lessons are there to learn and see. Awaziem, Omeruo need replacement, major reasons they weren't trusted by JPes at AFCON were so glaring last Night.

We blamed JPes for playing half fit Aina in the final, but last 2 friendlies have vindicated him that as far as Osayi is the one on the Bench, Aina must play.

Collins' time is over. He made us miss Sanusi whether we admit it or not. In short, fringe players at the back must be replaced - ALL!

Iwobi played well, Iheanacho linked well. Ndidi and Onyedika didn't perform beyond average. Simon wasn't it until he was subbed. Dessers justified why he didn't make AFCON List.

Dele-Bashiru, Tella and co will get their chances too.
well written. Finidi has a sound knowledge of the game. I don't think it's logical him taking the job in as much as I like the way his team builds up and passes though the personal employed failed him. Reason being that he has been with this team and was able to tweak the formation based on the deficiencies he noticed during AFCON. however football is dynamic, his tactical response in changing the pattern when his tactics is not working is poor. It was evident in Ghana game (after Redcard) and also when Mali coach made some tactical switch to accommodate our flanks. This is only reason I want another coach. Two games is enough to see how fast a coach response to tactical switches from opponent even in the setting of finally losing the game. i didn't see that infact Ghana pressed us more with 10men and it says alot about their coach besides finidi even had players to substitute🙄. At least nff Don show am love. Meanwhile without sentiment, Egbo looks good for the job. Though I for like see wetin amunike go bring even if na one game😅😅.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:02pm On Mar 27
Mujtahida:

Whether purposeful or not, tiki taka is the epitome of machine football. Pass pass pass from morning till night. I even hate the name. Sounds like the sound of a mechanical contraption.

Do you like eating Egusi soup without obstacles?

Most beautiful art of football. This is why we love the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMkJht0GxOs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 9:09pm On Mar 27
Have they named the coach?? Month never end? I no want that their wuruwuru deals. If it's Finidi, it's good so he can start getting together his acolytes. He needs a a good match analyst ASAP. I would love to see Enyeama as GK coach. No d one dem NFF go pack people give am.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:22pm On Mar 27
comodo:
Have they named the coach?? Month never end? I no want that their wuruwuru deals. If it's Finidi, it's good so he can start getting together his acolytes. He needs a a good match analyst ASAP. I would love to see Enyeama as GK coach. No d one dem NFF go pack people give am.

Don’t be in a rush..we re locked in disscussion,doting d it’s and crossing the t’s …my name will be unveiled early next week
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:23pm On Mar 27
jihday:
I hope you are happy now
Remain Ejuke,Ebuehi and Nwakali to be seen,hope they will impressed

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 9:29pm On Mar 27
jihday:
I hope you are happy now

Yes, and very happy with the defenders chosen to play.

The defenders were not really the problem, the problem was with the midfield.

You can't indulge a play focused on possession without working extensively on your midfield.

Real defending begins in the midfield, even when the midfield is bypassed may be by long balls, the midfielders are are to track back to help the defense.

In the same manner, real attacking with the ball begins in the midfield, if the midfield is bypassed maybe by long balls, the midfielders are primarily responsible for sustaining the attack through proper communication with the forwards.

The midfielders did not help the defenders in the manner they should, and the defenders while trying to maintain possession of the ball, drew a lot of pressure to themselves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:57pm On Mar 27
Marjoribanks:
It was not Awaziem that made the pass that led to the first goal, it was Osayi!

Ndidi mistake led to the 2nd goal. I do not understand why he was still on the pitch at that point in time when you have Alhassan and Fisayo on the bench.
Simon and Dessers failed Finidi today. Not scoring either chances is a travesty.
I said it in my previous posts, Dessers is not reliable.

For continuity sake, I will say we keep Finidi and give him good assistants. Just like Senegal did with Cisse!
I do hope he learn from this! #my2cent.

It was not Osayi.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:40pm On Mar 27
elyte89:

😀😀😀 baba say crisp passing

No worry jihday …once I clinch d job, u won’t even c awaziem,collins and dressers near d stadium 🏟️ let alone of sitting on d bench 😎
if you can do that I’ll advocate 20 years contract for you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:41pm On Mar 27
Meliforme:

Yes, and very happy with the defenders chosen to play.

The defenders were not really the problem, the problem was with the midfield.

You can't indulge a play focused on possession without working extensively on your midfield.

Real defending begins in the midfield, even when the midfield is bypassed may be by long balls, the midfielders are are to track back to help the defense.

In the same manner, real attacking with the ball begins in the midfield, if the midfield is bypassed maybe by long balls, the midfielders are primarily responsible for sustaining the attack through proper communication with the forwards.

The midfielders did not help the defenders in the manner they should, and the defenders while trying to maintain possession of the ball, drew a lot of pressure to themselves.
mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:46pm On Mar 27
Not good news about Sadiq Umar coming from Super Eagles camp as it was reported that he refused to shake Finidi cos he didn't have playing time during both friendlies.
Source: Poojamedia on twitter

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 4:26am On Mar 28
Easier to score than get injured. He choosed injury! What a shame! I wish him quick recovery!
BankyGee:
Nantes have released a statement saying that Moses Simon has suffered from a fractured fibula. He will be ruled out for several months which means he will be out for the rest of the season.

Get well soon Moses Simon 💚

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 4:26am On Mar 28
My mistake!
forgiveness:

It was not Osayi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 4:33am On Mar 28
Only a sentimental element won't notice, Finidi has lost the dressing room even as an interim coach! I am disappointed in myself that I once rate him highly!
It is highly suspicious leaving Ndidi and Iheanacho on the field for 90 minutes when Tella, Alhassan and Fisayo were on the bench and got no single minutes in 180 minutes. Even Lookman got less than 45 minutes in 180 minutes. LOL! Ladan Bosso type of behavior!
jihday:
Not good news about Sadiq Umar coming from Super Eagles camp as it was reported that he refused to shake Finidi cos he didn't have playing time during both friendlies.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 5:21am On Mar 28
Marjoribanks:
Only a sentimental element won't notice, Finidi has lost the dressing room even as an interim coach! I am disappointed in myself that I once rate him highly!
It is highly suspicious leaving Ndidi and Iheanacho on the field for 90 minutes when Tella, Alhassan and Fisayo were on the bench and got no single minutes in 180 minutes. Even Lookman got less than 45 minutes in 180 minutes. LOL! Ladan Bosso type of behavior!
It is funny how you just conjure up baseless agenda from nowhere. So because Finidi left Fisayo et al on the bench showed he has lost the dressing room?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:20am On Mar 28
What are you suspecting him of?

Marjoribanks:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:22am On Mar 28
jihday:
Source: Poojamedia on twitter

Findi showed bias in his selection and disrespected some players.

I will not say more than that.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Emmy450(m): 7:22am On Mar 28

With what he pulled off during AFCON, he should be careful.

He is a good player, but attitude matters.

Pooja
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by victornoah(m): 7:23am On Mar 28
Marjoribanks:

Nigeria is filled with very sentimental humans. The truth is that, we currently do not have a local coach that understands anything about Football tactics. They don't even know how to switch from one formation to another while the match is ongoing.

Funny as it may, some humans will come for you for being blunt and honest, just to suit their narratives.

For Finidi not to have played Nathan Tella, one of the hottest players in Bayer Leverkusen, shows how Biased he his to some players. But this same Finidi was happy to play a Tanzanian-based player. That means, if he was given the opportunity to invite players, he wouldn't have invited Tella, and even Lookman.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:26am On Mar 28
Joebie:
What are you suspecting him of?

Na we sabi ball pass. Wetin dis ones wan play.

Imagine telling the press he doesn't have a good striker in his team. Very shallow minded person. And he wan coach NIGERIA NATIONAL TEAM.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 7:52am On Mar 28
Emmy450:

Pooja

Attitude no matter one bit

Look at all the teams they almost fielded 2 separate squad for 2 games

Everyone will have a chance to play that’s the point of friendly so you’ll see who works best with who

What’s the point of having so much fire power on the bench and choose not to make positive changes

I no go lie you, if i know my quality and my ability and i didn’t play both games boy I’m not heeding the next callup until they drop the coach or he improves on his selection and subs

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:00am On Mar 28
"This is a team that keeps the ball very well but if we had our injured strikers available, we would have changed the one on the pitch immediately. Losing two strikers forced us to play wide and as an aggressive team, we did all we could. And you know football is all."

See as this guy belittled Umar and he wanted to shake him after disrespecting him openly. grin

Now, I understand why he didn't play some players and even gave Lookman who is arguably our best player in Europe few minutes.

He doesn't rate them. No bi we we. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:01am On Mar 28
Thank you my brother!
If Salisu was the one that kept Onyedika and Iheanacho on the bench and played Alhassan and Sadiq for 180 minutes losing 2nil to Mali.
We all know how the narrative would have been.
I called out Ladan Bosso, who da ff is Finidi that he can't be called out!
Until we are honest with ourselves, this country will not move anywhere.
I will be beyond surprise, if Finidi even get the Assistant role with the info I have!
victornoah:

Nigeria is filled with very sentimental humans. The truth is that, we currently do not have a local coach that understands anything about Football tactics. They don't even know how to switch from one formation to another while the match is ongoing.

Funny as it may, some humans will come for you for being blunt and honest, just to suit their narratives.

For Finidi not to have played Nathan Tella, one of the hottest players in Bayer Leverkusen, shows how Biased he his to some players. But this same Finidi was happy to play a Tanzanian-based player. That means, if he was given the opportunity to invite players, he wouldn't have invited Tella, and even Lookman.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 8:01am On Mar 28
victornoah:

I agree with you for the most part save for "football tactics" part. While I do not downplay the importance of football tactics, that sadly isn't the primary problem of most Nigerian coach.

Success is football is 90% Psyche and 10% skill. Average players with the best mental frame and great motivation will beat very skilled players with very little motivation and messed up psyche. Sir Alex Ferguson wasn't known for his tactics as his players have since confirmed. He was however a great motivator. He knew how to get the best out of his players. This was what the Big Boss of blessed Memory Stephen Keshi was known for. Keshi showed immense respect for his players and they respected him in return. He was reported to have motivated his players to play for him and almost always choose players that fit this mold.

The bunch of Nigerian coaches we have today are well learned but too distracted. They have all the UEFA badges, but will allow sentiments, ego etc to destroy their dressing room.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:40am On Mar 28
Two games are not enough to rate a coach, true, but it can give some hints of what to expect from the coach going forward. In Finidi's case, I would say his problem was players selection..
It makes no sense not to play the likes of Tella and Dele-Bashiru in a friendly.. Also benching Lookman, one of the best player at the AFCON over two legs.. I hope his decision wasn't influenced by sentiments.. sentimental selection has always been the bane of Nigerian coaches.. it was one of the things that affected Keshi's tenure as coach....always selecting funny names in his list despite being tactically sound..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:44am On Mar 28
mostob:
If you're the only one holding on to one side of an argument, then something is wrong with your opinion.

Not necessarily because intelligence is not held with the majority but the minority.

And an argument of ideas,views is not based on democracy of the majority.

In reality an argument that is opinionated is not won by numbers.

When you have an uninformed, ignorant, retrogressive electorate moved by sentiment and prejudice. What type of leaders will they vote for and or allow criminal corruption to foister and impose upon them ❓

Foolishness it is often said rests with the Majority.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:45am On Mar 28
lovewins:

I agree with you for the most part save for "football tactics" part. While I do not downplay the importance of football tactics, that sadly isn't the primary problem of most Nigerian coach.

Success is football is 90% Psyche and 10% skill. Average players with the best mental frame and great motivation will beat very skilled players with very little motivation and messed up psyche. Sir Alex Ferguson wasn't known for his tactics as his players have since confirmed. He was however a great motivator. He knew how to get the best out of his players. This was what the Big Boss of blessed Memory Stephen Keshi was known for. Keshi showed immense respect for his players and they respected him in return. He was reported to have motivated his players to play for him and almost always choose players that fit this mold.

The bunch of Nigerian coaches we have today are well learned but too distracted. They have all the UEFA badges, but will allow sentiments, ego etc to destroy their dressing room.
The last paragraph is exactly the point I just made...... Somebody like Oliseh had the credentials to successfully manage the team, but he couldn't drop his big ego and ended up destabilizing the the team before he left..
I hope Finidi isn't that kind of guy sha.. given that he spent a considerable part of his coaching career in Spain...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:46am On Mar 28
lovewins:

Having a driving licence doesn't make you a great driver or even safe one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:48am On Mar 28
Emmy450:

Pooja

I don't rate him and my opinion remains the same not good quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Emmy450(m): 8:50am On Mar 28
typicalgamer:

Attitude no matter one bit

Look at all the teams they almost fielded 2 separate squad for 2 games

Everyone will have a chance to play that’s the point of friendly so you’ll see who works best with who

What’s the point of having so much fire power on the bench and choose not to make positive changes

I no go lie you, if i know my quality and my ability and i didn’t play both games boy I’m not heeding the next callup until they drop the coach or he improves on his selection and subs
except in his case, he's easily replaceable without any fuss. So?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16036) (16037) (16038) (16039) (16040) (16041) (16042) ... (16126) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: hatakekakashi, AndSunGorilla, BascoVanVeli(m), caprikon, Hanibal(m), owbabs, charlesemeka85(m), dijon and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.