Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,570 members, 7,812,843 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16083) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11618137 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16080) (16081) (16082) (16083) (16084) (16085) (16086) ... (16132) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:01am On Apr 16
mostob:
You made a nice point bro. But I think it is better this way. He may get overwhelmed if he is the one appointed to lead the team.
Any way sha. I really can't wait to see him flourish. He's caught my attention enough to lead.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 12:15am On Apr 16
TheGoodJoe:

Sorry, but I can't understand how you deciphered that it is just a shift in paradigm and not superior.

Let me give my take.

It’s taken up a different pace, rhythm: more accelerated, more physical (fitness).

This is the context and encapsulates what the discussion is about.

The figure of the No 10 has almost disappeared. We see less magic, less fantasy.

This is what many used to classify the players of the past as better. They had magic and delivered fantasies. We see less of this. Why? The context. The modern players have More accelerated and are more physical.

Footballers do more but faster.

What footballers do more is shown in the stats. Passes, pass completion, tackles, interception, aerial duels, distance covered, chances created, even goals, assists etc. Why? The context Modern players accelerate more and are more physical.

There’s no need to dribble because you run.

You take on players now with speed, not dribbles. Due to the speed and physical nature of modern players.

Players are more developed in every sense.

How this does not equate to superior is a mystery to me. The modern players are more developed than the players of the past. Meaning every quality player, offense and defense can move fast for a long time.

You lose that player who’s different, who ‘breathes’; the playmaker who was slower even if he had sublime technique doesn’t get the opportunity to turn.

Due to the context, with players being faster and physical, we lose players who could stand out. The magicians and fantasy makers. How? They were actually slower. They killed tempo. Today, even if such player has such techniques, he would not have the opportunity to turn. Players are now faster and more physical. Those magic won't pull off like in the past.

Those of us who are not so fast with our legs have to be faster in our heads. It’s like anything in life: adaptation. Things keep moving. Football changes constantly, expressed differently.

Now for the slow ones who are not fast but skillful and intelligen, you need to play with your head. If not, you get swept off by pace and intensity. You need to pass faster, work off the ball intelligently to get into spaces to receive the ball. The creativity now lies in the head.

So, the end point is more acceleration and physical nature of modern players engulfed the magic people loved. This is due to players becoming better unlike the superstars of the past who played against weaker players.

Finito.

Man city uses no 10. De bruyne is there. The no 10 is needed more than before. Creativity becomes more important the more athletic and defensive football becomes.
What u are saying has limitations.
These your ideas ate overrated.
A 20 year old kanu will dazzle in the modern game.
When everyone is running their will be spaces they cannot see that a magician will exploit.
Intelligent use of unseen space is important in football. Dribbling and creativity does thus.
I'm sorry this is the golden era of the no 10 and creative players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:47am On Apr 16
Philosopher1979:

Man city uses no 10. De bruyne is there. The no 10 is needed more than before. Creativity becomes more important the more athletic and defensive football becomes.
When everyone is running their will be spaces they cannot see that a magician will exploit.
Intelligent use of unseen space is important in football. Dribbling and creativity does thus.

It depends on what you describe as dazzle. Now in the game, the aim is multiple 10s on the pitch. Not your dazzling 10s but fast thinking 10s which includes De Bruyne.

Also, they contribute more to forward play. Think Phil Foden and Bernardo Silva. They are also good at playing multiple roles. Think Sergio Gomez and Rico Lewis.

It is no more a case where a dazzler and ball juggling player is the 10. No room for poets.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:25am On Apr 16
Kelechi Nwakali's fine strike which was later counted as an own goal by Goncalves was enough to win Chaves 3 pts today away at Vizela in the Portuguese Primeira Liga.

He played 77mins.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 6:52am On Apr 16
daveP:
He should not be deputizing Garba. He should be the one leading that team. He's more in tune and an excellent coach with proof. Nff should trust these young, reliable managers with cadet jobs and stop all these recycling abeg.

Completely agree with you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ihenzy(m): 7:01am On Apr 16
daveP:

It's the "naija way" anyway. They don't seem comfy giving a "youngie" such "huge responsibility" even if he's proven beyond reasonable doubt.

As for me, with all the young managers littered across the footballosphere, no oldie, especially those 15 to 20yrs ones, should near cadet duties again. But, No!!
The guy is very sound. Imagine he succeeds and then churns out b2b talents and performance.
Nothing wrong in deputizing Manu, Manu is experienced and have proven results. It's just like saying Bank CEO position be given to a young guy who just finished the university because he graduated with a first class.
It's a learning curve for him and he will be integrated gradually while learning few basics from Manu.
Your last line even cast doubt the moment you used the word "Imagine"

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:13am On Apr 16
Philosopher1979:

No he will not, end product over unnecessary flair and showboating skills.

The modern player must have first of all FITNESS, a non stop intensive work rate and the athletic ability of speed and physicality to complement it and all anchored ⚓ on technical ability and football intelligence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:28am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
Kelechi Nwakali's fine strike which was later counted as an own goal by Goncalves was enough to win Chaves 3 pts today away at Vizela in the Portuguese Primeira Liga.

He played 77mins.

Talk about gassing and over exaggeration, as well as disinformation.

Nwakali kicked the ball off target going to his left and it then hits the No. 4 defender for Vizela, causing a massive deflection the ball opposite direction to the right and it's a goal 🥅.

That's what you are gassing about.

Chavez has finally come off the bottoms of the league been there almost permanently league started. The team would get slaughtered in English league one , slow lethargic and poor quality.

They have lost more games and conceded more goals than anybody else in the league.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:31am On Apr 16
TheGoodJoe:

It depends on what you describe as dazzle. Now in the game, the aim is multiple 10s on the pitch. Not your dazzling 10s but fast thinking 10s which includes De Bruyne.

Also, they contribute more to forward play. Think Phil Foden and Bernardo Silva. They are also good at playing multiple roles. Think Sergio Gomez and Rico Lewis.

It is no more a case where a dazzler and ball juggling player is the 10. No room for poets.

Finito.

I reluctantly being a fan of entertainment football ⚽ agree with you wholeheartedly.

I was at a game about two weeks ago in the Etihad and this is how the U14/15/16's all play. But they even interchange at this young age.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:33am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
Kelechi Nwakali scores!!! on his return to the starting XI. Damn. What a strike!

You are telling LIES again.

I wonder 💭 how much you are getting paid to do this PR over marketing job you have been doing for years.

No matter how you dress it up a TOYOTA corolla can never become a G Wagon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:14am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:

He played 77mins.
maestro 🤣🤣🤣

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:15am On Apr 16
komekn:

I wonder 💭 how much you are getting paid to do this PR over marketing job you have been doing for years.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:16am On Apr 16
komekn:

Nwakali kicked the ball off target going to his left and it then hits the No. 4 defender for Vizela, causing a massive deflection the ball opposite direction to the right and it's a goal 🥅.

Chavez has finally come off the bottoms of the league been there almost permanently league started. The team would get slaughtered in English league one , slow lethargic and poor quality.

They have lost more games and conceded more goals than anybody else in the league.
you watch the match?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:30am On Apr 16
Smh. A jobless attention seeking nobody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAOwVm7Y6CY?si=kcVbyUK-zXCqzGeR

It was clearly a fine strike and a deflection which made it an owngoal. Did I say anything different?

Look at you, a bonafide hater, all riled up because Nwakali's strike led to a goal. 🤣🤣🤣

komekn:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:32am On Apr 16
Yes Maestro.

Shameless Emeka always hating alongside his Daddy Komekn. Chriskels is right, komekn still bottlefeeds you as you lick his ass especially on hating avenue😂😂😂

charlesemeka85:
maestro 🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:37am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
Seems it would be given as an own goal. Took a deflection off Goncalves

Lies?? Did you read this followup post above? Smh.

Your tiny d**k always stands awkwardly whenever Nwakali does good so you rush here to say the usual gobbledygooks.

komekn:

Also read below...

Abeg, open your eyes and read before spilling more nonsense.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 9:46am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
Cole Palmer with a hattrick still fought for the spot kick with Madueke and Jackson (although in fairness, he is their regular spotkick taker). Won the argument... took the spot kick and makes it 5-0 for Chelsea and 4 for himself.

Greedy Cole... Lol.. but indeed he is Chelsea's pen taker, usually.

Jackson doesn’t want the pk he was only pushing madueke aside for Palmer

Madueke go be a very toxic guy below average player with ego of Neymar
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 9:48am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
Realising that Cole Palmer insisted on taking the penalty even though he already had a hattrick because he knew he was gonna tie Erling Haaland on 20 EPL Goals so far.

To be honest, that's fair enough.

It’s not about that unless a dedicated spot taker gives you the ball or he’s not on the pitch you have no right to drag the ball

Imagine mikel dragging ball with lampard lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 9:51am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:

He played 77mins.

I wish this guy could go mainstream even if not for eagles but for club side
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:05am On Apr 16
We invited a Benjamin Tianimu based in Tanzania to the Super Eagles. I think we are now all out of excuses on why Nwakali cannot get invited.

typicalgamer:

I wish this guy could go mainstream even if not for eagles but for club side
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:06am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
Smh. A jobless attention seeking nobody.

It was clearly a fine strike and a deflection which made it an owngoal. Did I say anything different?

Look at you, a bonafide hater, all riled up because Nwakali's strike led to a goal. 🤣🤣🤣

That ball was going off target.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:08am On Apr 16
That is not what happened. Madueke wanted to take it but Jackson approached him I guess. Palmer got up and took it from Madueke and Conor Gallagher (captain) had already stepped in telling them Palmer is their PK taker.
Jackson wanted Madueke to take it which is why after Palmer took it off Madueke, he wanted to protest but got pushed away by Palmer and Gallagher blocked his path to confront Palmer. Madueke also had to calm Jackson down.

After Palmer scored the penalty, Jackson just walked away. He didn't even bother celebrating the goal.

typicalgamer:

Jackson doesn’t want the pk he was only pushing madueke aside for Palmer

Madueke go be a very toxic guy below average player with ego of Neymar
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:11am On Apr 16
I already said it was counted as an owngoal.

But why so critically analysing this one when we have seen many goals scored just like this and we say, good strike or good effort.

Look, without Nwakali's strike, there would be no goal in the end. The players even celebrated it as his goal and it was initially given to him until it was ratified.

forgiveness:

That ball was going off target.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:12am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
I already said it was counted as an owngoal.

But why so critically analysing this one when we have seen many goals scored just like this and we say, good strike or good effort.

Look, without Nwakali's strike, there would be no goal in the end. The players even celebrated it as his goal and it was initially given to him until it was ratified.

There was a goal but not a fine striker. Nevertheless, I am not against him. The boy don tall small.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:14am On Apr 16
It was about that. Palmer clearly had that EPL Goals chart info in mind when he took that penalty. Remember he understands that his stats and showings this season gives him a huge shot at making the England side for the Euros.

typicalgamer:

It’s not about that unless a dedicated spot taker gives you the ball or he’s not on the pitch you have no right to drag the ball

Imagine mikel dragging ball with lampard lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:16am On Apr 16
It was a fine strike that rebounded heavily off a player and landed in the net. Without the power in that strike leading to that deflection, there would be no goal.

We have seen many players score this way and sometimes it is given to them just as this was initially given to Nwakali before it was ratified to an owngoal.

So why the overnanalysis.

forgiveness:

There was a goal but not a fine striker. Nevertheless, I am not against him. The boy don tall small.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:18am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
It was a fine strike that rebounded heavily off a player and landed in the net. Without the power in that strike leading to that deflection, there would be no goal.

We have seen many players score this way and sometimes it is given to them just as this was initially given to Nwakali before it was ratified to an owngoal.

So why the overnanalysis.

Fine strike but off target.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:19am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:

It was about that. Palmer clearly had that EPL Goals chart info in mind when he took that penalty. Remember he understands that his stats and showings this season gives him a huge shot at making the England side for the Euros.

No. The penalty taker is Palmer. Poch made that clear after Raheem sterling missed and caused Chelsea 3 points.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:21am On Apr 16
I already stated that fact. Palmer is Chelsea's PK taker and this is why Gallagher had to step in to remind Jackson who wanted to confront Palmer after the latter took the ball off Madueke and pushed him (Jackson).

What I am adding is that Palmer definitely knew that scoring that would also tie him with Haaland in the Golden Boot race.

forgiveness:

No. The penalty taker is Palmer. Poch made that clear after Raheem sterling missed and caused Chelsea 3 points.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:22am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:
We invited a Benjamin Tianimu based in Tanzania to the Super Eagles. I think we are now all out of excuses on why Nwakali cannot get invited.

You know that his name is not Muhammad nwakali

So agenda must agend clearly he deserves another shot same with our boy in marseille too

For just 1 friendly window which holds 2 matches let’s not select our main team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:22am On Apr 16
In the end, it won Chaves 3 pts. A GOAL was the final result. Period.

Many games have been won by such. So no need for the fuss.

forgiveness:

Fine strike but off target.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 10:23am On Apr 16
TheSuperNerd:

His work rate is still gonna get the best of him in almost all fitness test and analysis he came dead last in last English friendly

And his attitude too but make we they see i like the guy

Not All power and pace but finesse and skill

(1) (2) (3) ... (16080) (16081) (16082) (16083) (16084) (16085) (16086) ... (16132) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m), enlady(f), humility33(m), mank1234(m), M7even(m), KpagoGIN(m), zicky(m), chrisooblog and 18 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.