Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,028 members, 7,863,690 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:54 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1918) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11948524 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1915) (1916) (1917) (1918) (1919) (1920) (1921) ... (16363) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:40pm On Oct 26, 2017
SPAIN: Copa del Rey - 1/16-finals

About 77 minutes played

Deportivo 1-2 Las Palmas

Depo don chop two goals oh. Who be this keeper when dem dey call Tyton?
Good news for Uzoho who is not listed. The caretaker coach is a caretaker indeed.

Modified
Depo pull one back playing one man down

Girona 0-2 Levante
Olarenwaju Kayode in Girona's bench

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:45pm On Oct 26, 2017
junnyjake:

I don't know, maybe it's caz they don't think they are good enough for their country of birth.

Otigba I believe is in the Hungarian league.
senneger he's currently playing 3rd tier football in Germany. So I can understand if they say we have better players than both.

But for Dessers, I can't really say what's stopping them from calling him o.

And with the way things are going, we might have half of our lineup filled with foreign players. Wetin concern me?? They should sha be better than what we have already.
Omo I swear if we continue with this foreign born thing your last paragraph will happen ooo and it would lead to an outcry oo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:45pm On Oct 26, 2017
libero808:
Is Kele not our player?

I meant to say 'more of this'. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:47pm On Oct 26, 2017
elyte89:
I don't knw y I hate to c names like martins,osaze, and co poping up,when we re looking toward to build a team DT would last us for 10years

Not dt deir inclusion into d team will lead to us lifting d mundial,

Sooner or later,we mite b cin names like Makinwa and co to b called up,I tayya abeg undecided
E no pain you reach me. Anger, plus vex plus annoyance mix to make me just taya. I taya

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:48pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
haha.. i hope say u bring aromatic schnapps?

lol. Any to make the watching worthwhile.

Our case has changed. Like the biblical 'the rejected stone is now the chief cornerstone' situo. Everyone scrambling to rep us, even at Olympics last year.(rem the canoeing guy) Even to one top bundesliga defender that regretted not opting for Nigeria. He plays for an average European team. Even if we eff up at this World cup, i'l be at least satisfied that pendulum has changed, Inasmuch they dont give a mediocre performance. Those time that we'l wait expect one boy we were begging to rep us....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:48pm On Oct 26, 2017
As long as they are better that's the point. They are Nigerians. They have equal right for consideration.
junnyjake:

I don't know, maybe it's caz they don't think they are good enough for their country of birth.

Otigba I believe is in the Hungarian league.
senneger he's currently playing 3rd tier football in Germany. So I can understand if they say we have better players than both.

But for Dessers, I can't really say what's stopping them from calling him o.

And with the way things are going, we might have half of our lineup filled with foreign players. Wetin concern me?? They should sha be better than what we have already.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:50pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
At least Salami dey score na.. lol That's not a bad call.. lol

Who does he wanna debench from the current bench? lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2017
Mujtahida:

Let this not happen but it seems Martins is pressing. I have no concrete evidence but his name(apart from Enyeama) has popped up more than any other player for come back. He's had his time please. Nothing to hanker for there.

Since, Martins was part of the w/q, he deserves to be given a chance to prove himself. That is if he performance well in his club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:51pm On Oct 26, 2017
lol my brother I just think our image has improved, football-wise. Pinnick has been doing well in this regard. Serious work has to be done on the home front still. Looking forward to the next NPFL season to see if there will be improvements from the previous. How about the proposed youth league?

daveP:
lol. Any to make the watching worthwhile.

Our case has changed. Like the biblical 'the rejected stone is now the chief cornerstone' situo. Everyone scrambling to rep us, even at Olympics last year.(rem the canoeing guy) Even to one top bundesliga defender that regretted not opting for Nigeria. He plays for an average European team. Even if we eff up at this World cup, i'l be at least satisfied that pendulum has changed, Inasmuch they dont give a mediocre performance. Those time that we'l wait expect one boy we were begging to rep us....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:53pm On Oct 26, 2017
hahaha.. u never taya reach.. u go soon yata.. calm down.. u too dey fear..

Mujtahida:

E no pain you reach me. Anger, plus vex plus annoyance mix to make me just taya. I taya
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:53pm On Oct 26, 2017
Ighalo na, for who jambody pass haha. Abi na KC?

daveP:
Who does he wanna debench from the current bench? lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:53pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
haha.. y the youngie no become super young?

a case of who wants it most. super young go backfire.

"he will have to wait for his time, but he is a talent the future must watch out for"

fake consolation!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:54pm On Oct 26, 2017
Goke7:

both martins and osaze that messed us up at the 2010 world cup? osaze tried in 2014 but to bring these old pales back in 2018 may just show how backwards our football is andwith the emergence of players like moses, iwobi even ihenacho, why are we still discussing folks like martins and osaze for christ sake haba. with old players like musa and mikel already in the squad, its a shame to be talking about osaze and martins. smh
Even Musa(and I trust he himself knows) is standing on one leg. Let's just press on into the future. For experience we already have Mikel, Echiejile, Moses, Onazi. Enyeama would have completed the experienced players circle but seems negative forces are at work.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:55pm On Oct 26, 2017
WC no be for the fainthearted oh.. Abi how dey talk am that time?
The first test na fight for camp. if old man beat u, that means u never ready.. make u go play U23 first.

daveP:
a case of who wants it most. super young go backfire.

"he will have to wait for his time, but he is a talent the future must watch out for"

fake consolation!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:56pm On Oct 26, 2017
forgiveness:

Since, Martins was part of the w/q, he deserves to be given a chance to prove himself. That is if he performance well in his club.

Ogbeni what chance sef, no b only chance,abeg we don't want to enter one chance again angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:58pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
lol my brother I just think our image has improved, football-wise. Pinnick has been doing well in this regard. Serious work has to be done on the home front still. Looking forward to the next NPFL season to see if there will be improvements from the previous. How about the proposed youth league?

I pray it materializes. Nff mustnt monotonize on Russia prep alone. The youth league would be the best way to improve all rounda.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:00pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
Ighalo na, for who jambody pass haha. Abi na KC?

Take this...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:04pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
WC no be for the fainthearted oh.. Abi how dey talk am that time?
The first test na fight for camp. if old man beat u, that means u never ready.. make u go play U23 first.

I hope papi Rohr sees beyond initial gragra. Expecting all these interference from Min. of Sport, etc soon. Bunch of merchants!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:06pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
Ighalo only got a recall because he was performing and we needed someone in his frame for Cameroon.. I promise you if the conditions were against him, he won't have smelled SE. Brown Ideye, Oboabona will not smell SE before Russia.. Mark my words. Performance gets attention not past glories.

It's not just performance. I just pointed out the Scolari /Romario /Ronaldo example. When Aime Jacquet was revamping the French team he left out an in form Eric Cantona, David Ginola (my my, I used to watch this guy and Klinsmann do incredible footballing jobs for Tottenham) and Jean Pierre Papin and built the team around a young Zidane. It's not just any kind of performing player a coach picks. Some he won't even pick at all.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:09pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
It's discrimination when u base your opinion on age alone even when the player is apparently better in terms of recent stats. Or when you say the player did this or that 8 years ago, he will do it again. The player you are gunning for you have not even seen in SE colors. Now I did not say Martins is better oh.

It's not discrimination. It's 23 players to make the cut. The initial pool from which this 23 will eventually be picked from is not wide like a civil service job interview or a common entrance examination.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:10pm On Oct 26, 2017
how good are our alternatives?

Mujtahida:

It's not just performance. I just pointed out the Scolari /Romario /Ronaldo example. When Aime Jacquet was revamping the French team he left out an in form Eric Cantona, David Ginola (my my, I used to watch this guy and Klinsmann do incredible footballing jobs for Tottenham) and Jean Pierre Papin and built the team around a young Zidane. It's not just any kind of performing player a coach picks. Some he won't even pick at all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:11pm On Oct 26, 2017
right but u pick the deserving to make the initial pool
Mujtahida:

It's not discrimination. It's 23 players to make the cut. The initial pool from which this 23 will eventually be picked from is not wide like a civil service job interview or a common entrance examination.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:12pm On Oct 26, 2017
lol

daveP:
Take this...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:12pm On Oct 26, 2017
komekn:

That's good news I really want to see our tried, tested and proven strikers who are still playing at a good level, given a chance.
Yes, they've been tried and tested and we didn't win Nations cup with them when they were at their prime nor did we go beyond second round at the World Cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:14pm On Oct 26, 2017
edi287:

Fred Friday is very inconsistent. Is he still in Holland??
I only just heard about him yesterday. I don't know jack about him. My call for him is sarcastic jare
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:14pm On Oct 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

18 year old German-Nigerian left back prospect Deji-Ousman Beyreuther has declared for Nigeria ahead of Germany.

He has made the bench of Eintracht Frankfurt once this season.

See free kick by Deji:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vg7BtYe_ho

Under 20 coach take note

Wow! German machine breed. grin

If an academy player could be invited to the National team and later turned out to be the one that scored the goal that sealed our place in the world cup, then I think Rohr should call him for the Algeria and Argentina match to see if he's matured enough.

I hope they will dish him declaring to play for us ooooooo, because that has always been the norms

Once you declare, no call but if you do yanga, dem go purse for yanch like say u be Sisi. grin

We just need to cap him now before Germany notice his talent. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:15pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
Fred Friday? hahaha.. Did he ever score since joining AZ Alkmaar? Maybe one goal?

That's just too show you how much I don't want to see Martins. My call for Fred Friday is sarcasm.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:21pm On Oct 26, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

I'm a big fan of obagoal .. You remember he had issues with Lars lagerback during. sA 2010 WC? That made the coach dropped him to bench...

Though he might be influencial but his game is up in SE.. We re just rebuilding after 2 or 3years plus of disaster football
I am also a fan. WMD we called him then. I really clamoured for his recall under Keshi same with Osaze and when he featured in one match (I think against Malawi or so) his performance was below par. Siasia eventually gave him a recall. Guy like you said his time is up. It gets to that point for every player. In football players often start playing for clubs before their national teams and continue playing for clubs after their international careers has ended.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:23pm On Oct 26, 2017
Mujtahida:

The renewed call for their recall has something more of pressure being exerted from unknown quarters as in Naija factor. Kayode is there struggling to be given a chance, Aluko, Onyekuru too, so many good young players in their prime baying for a chance. These guys are our future. We go with them, we'd be doing our Qatar 22 a lot of good because the number of players who we would be able to tag as experienced will be many.

If experience was the main requirement to give you overriding advantage then I would agree with you but what about talent and outstanding ability.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:24pm On Oct 26, 2017
So I've been hearing news about some new rules governing players switch from one country to another.

Trust OGN and ANS to exaggerate things out of reasonable proportions.

We should not only pay compensations to England for Moses, Iwobi and Aina. We should pay them for Efan Ekoku, Anichebe, Hope Akpan, Ikemeand the rest of them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:26pm On Oct 26, 2017
komekn:

Tell me three strikers who are clearly better than him.

Finally if we can invite a youth player who had barely played 46 minutes of senior football and recovering from injury. And his claim based on past glory of youthful football.

Then certainly Obagoal more than deserves a call up and an objective consideration.
Even if he likes let his stats be more statistical than statistics. His time in the SE is up. Is his stats (goshh I detest this word) better than that of Ighalo or Dessers (yes, shebi stat na stat)?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:27pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
I support this family. Very beautiful football family. They even give support to the youngest, Amir.. Little boy turning heads already. I watch his clips on twitter a lot. They are passionate about Nigeria. USA is wasting their time as regards Lateef.

Wow, that's nice.

My eyes is really on that lateef. I seriously do hope finindi involve him in his U-17 team

(1) (2) (3) ... (1915) (1916) (1917) (1918) (1919) (1920) (1921) ... (16363) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TradingGod, Marjoribanks, Odunayaw(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.